The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [On the Trail of the Pumpkin King]

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: The Covenant [Cosmic Beings; Saturn, Odin]

Post by Yojimbo » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:34 am

Saturn
Five hundred cycles ago, the being called Saturn was a young colonist trying to build a life for himself and his new family on a world called Harmony. While plowing his field one summer, he uncovered an alien artifact, a square device marked with sigils analogous to those marking the Jump Gates. The farmer was excited, as the farm was struggling, and he believed he would be able to get a tidy sum for the artifact. However, when he touched it, the box opened up and somehow expanded, or pulled the farmer into it. The family alerted the authorities, and the alien box was removed to a secure location on Harmony, and from there to a planet further core-ward. The farmer’s family was well paid for their hardship and contribution to Covenant science, but they would never see the farmer again.

Three standard months later, after a battery of inconclusive tests, the box vomited forth the farmer. He was utterly transformed. Although he remembers his life as a colonist farmer, his emotional connection to those memories had been severed, as if they were a story told to him by someone else. A being of immense power, codenamed Saturn for the duration of the science team’s observation of him, the former farmer was slowly reindoctrinated into Covenant society. He forged a new identity for himself, taking the name Saturn for his own, and gradually, as fears of alien contamination subsided and hopes that he would be able to solve the mystery of the missing Ancients proved fruitless, Saturn was allowed to leave the custody of the scientists, earned a pass from the military, and was allowed to go back out into the universe.

With no direct connection to anyone living, Saturn made a conscious choice to make the Covenant itself his family. Every citizen of the galactic civilization would be his brother, his sister, his friend. So he has pledged himself to protect, serve, and assist anyone in need of his immense powers. For five hundred cycles he has been one of the greatest champions of the Covenant. He flies across the cosmos, going wherever he is needed.
PL: 15
Abilities: STR: 40 (+15) DEX: 10 (-) CON: 40 (+15) INT: 10 (-) WIS: 18 (+4) CHR: 14 (+2)
Skills: Diplomacy 8 (+10)
Gather Information 8 (+10)
Navigate 12
Notice 8 (+12)
Sense Motive 4 (+8)
Feats: All-Out Attack
Attack Focus 2 [Melee]
Diehard
Environmental Adaptation [Zero-G]
Improved Grab
Improved Grapple
Move-By Action
Oathbound
Power Attack
Ultimate Effort 1: Toughness Save
Powers: Immunity 10 [Aging, Life Support]
Impervious Toughness 12
Super-Senses 6 [Cosmic Awareness, Spatial Awareness]
Super-Strength 20 [Dynamic; Heavy Load 3.4m tons; Bracing, Countering Punch, Groundstrike, Shockwave, Super-Breath, Thunderclap]
  • DAP: Disintegration 9
  • DAP: Flight 20 [25000000 mph, 2.2e+008 ft./rnd]
  • DAP: Super-Speed 9 [Improved Initiative 9, Rapid Attack, Quickness 9, Speed 9 (5000 mph, 44000 ft./rnd]
Standard Array: Super-Strength 10, Flight 5, Super-Speed 2

Combat: Attack +10 [Disintegration +9], Melee +12 [Unarmed +15], Defense +12, Init +0/+36
Saves: Toughness +15, Fortitude +15, Reflex +10, Will +12
Description: Saturn is humanoid, but his DNA has been completely rewritten. His flesh has been replaced with a reflective black substance that looks metallic, but is organic. Coils of light thread throughout his body, glowing different colors depending on his mood and which powers he is currently accessing (yellow for super-strength, green for disintegration, blue for flight, and red for super-speed; a blend of colors and hues when activating more than one ability). His head is helmet-like, but he can retract the front piece to reveal a semi-normal face beneath, with reflective black skin, harsh angles, and glowing eyes. Saturn can survive in a wide range of environments, including the cold emptiness of space, fly under his own power at nearly superluminal speeds, and can lift a starship with his bare hands. He can also boost his land speed and reaction time, or unleash a stream of bright green light from openings in his helmet-like head that can utterly obliterate matter.

Under the Hood
Saturn is one of the earliest builds I designed for the Covenant. Again, I was hewing to suggested power level point totals, which is why his phenomenal cosmic power is confined to an array. But I wanted a Silver Surfer type in the setting, and that's kind of who Saturn is supposed to be. Obviously without the looming threat of Galactus, but he's the kind of cosmically powered alien do-gooder who zips from planet to planet, getting into adventures, that the Surfer embodies.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: The Covenant [Cosmic Beings; Saturn, Odin]

Post by Yojimbo » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:44 am

Odin
The being known as Odin claims to be an ancient god of war, knowledge, and magic. It is true that he possesses formidable powers, including an extended lifespan, but it is doubtful that he is an actual deity or that he uses actual magic. More likely, Odin is a Drakhar with accelerated abilities.

Whatever his mysterious origins, Odin has traveled across Covenant space for about seven hundred cycles, fighting enemies of the Covenant, seeking adventure and followers, and preaching his strange, savage religion. A familiar figure astride his eight-legged horse, Odin is powerful enough to attack battleships single-handedly, and has done so on many occasions in the past. Odin is a genius, with preternatural intuition, and he makes his own mysterious way across the cosmos.
Abilities: STR: 30 (+10) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: 30 (+10) INT: 20 (+5) WIS: 30 (+10) CHR: 20 (+5)
Skills: Bluff 8 (+13)
Concentration 8 (+18)
Disguise 8 (+13)
Handle Animal 4 (+9)
Intimidate 8 (+13)
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 8 (+13)
Knowledge: Cosmology 8 (+13)
Knowledge: Tactics 8 (+13)
Medicine 4 (+14)
Navigate 4 (+9)
Notice 4 (+14)
Ride 8 (+10)
Search 4 (+9)
Sense Motive 4 (+10)
Survival 4 (+10)
Beginner’s Luck
Combat Awareness
Diehard
Eagle-Eyes
Eidetic Memory
Eyes in the Back of the Head
Improved Initiative 1
Jack-of-All-Trades
Luck 2
Power Attack
Rapid Healing
Truth Sense
Ultimate Effort: Toughness Save
Veteran Fighter
Wolf’s Ears
Powers: Device 2: Armor of the Aesir (Hard to Lose)
Protection 5 [Impervious]

Immunity 12 [Aging, Disease, Life Support, Poison]

Magical Mastery 6 [30 pp Array; “Master of the Runes”]

Summon 10 [“Call Sleipnir”]

Super-Senses 10 [True Sight]

Weapon Summoning 5 [Mighty, Limited to One Weapon, Autofire 1, Penetrating, Vampiric; “Call Gungnir”]

Combat: Attack +15 [Unarmed DC 25, Gungnir DC 30], Defense +15, Init +6
Saves: Toughness +10/+15, Fortitude +10, Reflex +6, Will +14
Description: Odin stands well over seven feet tall, broadly built and heavily muscled. He is smooth featured, with grayish skin and luminescent blue eyes. Odin wears heavy body armor in an archaic style, including a helm decorated with the curving horns of some deadly beast. Odin is ageless and apparently immortal, capable of surviving in the cold vacuum of space, and has the ability to see through illusions, falsehoods, and lies. He can summon a massive curving sword called Gungnir, which can cut through nearly anything, or his horse, the eight-legged Sleipnir. In addition, by casting and studying a collection of rune stones for one hour out of every twenty-four, he is able to develop a variety of other powers, including (but not limited to) a burning blast of energy, superhuman strength, extrasensory perception, chains that bind or rend their targets, animal servants, and dozens of other abilities, depending on Odin’s need and plans.
Minion: Sleipnir
PL: 10
Abilities: STR: 32 (+11) DEX: 10 (-) CON: 30 (+10) INT: 8 (-1) WIS: 10 (-) CHR: 8 (-1)
Skills: Notice 8
Powers: Device 1: Barding of the Aesir [Hard to Lose]
Protection 5

Flight 20 [25000000 mph, 2.2e+008 ft./rnd]
  • AP: Speed 10 [10000 mph, 88000 ft./rnd; Wall Run, Water Run]
Growth 7 [Innate, Permanent]
Immunity 10 [Aging, Life Support]
Super-Senses 2 [Extended: Vision, Low-Light Vision]
Combat: Attack +9 [Unarmed +11], Defense +9, Init +0
Saves: Toughness +10/+15, Fortitude +10, Reflex +6, Will +7
Description: Sleipnir is a gigantic white warhorse, clad in heavy armor in an archaic style. Most dramatically, Sleipnir possesses eight legs. More intelligent than a normal horse, he understands everything that Odin says and can act on plans and prearranged signals. Sleipnir is apparently ageless, like his master, and can survive unharmed in a variety of hostile environments, including the cold vastness of space. Sleipnir can fly at sub-luminal speeds, appearing as though he is running through air or space on his many legs, or he can run at supersonic speeds on the ground. He’s fast enough to race across water or vertical surfaces, although since he can fly he doesn’t really need to.

Under the Hood
I've been kind of cagey about whether "magic" exists in the Covenant setting or not. Superpowers are basically magic as it is, but there's usually a veneer of scientific extrapolation and/or reasoning. But I gave this guy Magical Mastery anyway. Probably his abilities are more psionic in origin and effect, but there's some ambiguity to this guy. Is he the real deal, i.e. a god from Old Earth? (Spoiler Alert: No) Is he some kind of alien being who is masquerading as said old god? Is he an ascended mortal, whose superhuman abilities basically make him a god? There are no other Aesir in the galaxy, although there are Space Vikings (the Drakhar, who I've touched upon previously in Atomic Rampage!), so it's possible that this Odin is just a really tough member of that group.

When I started designing the Covenant, I had an idea that characters would range between PL 12 and 15, with 12 being the sort of base level of ability and power, and 15 being the high (cosmic) end, but still playable. That's why Saturn and Odin are PL 15, but I eventually threw that idea out the window. Well, I stopped trying to adhere to it too closely. Most of the characters I've built still fit into the 12-15 range, with the higher power levels being occupied by creatures I would never allow a player to use as a character.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: The Covenant [Cosmic Beings; Lone Star, Asmodel]

Post by Yojimbo » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:27 am

Lone Star, the Pryderian, Durandel, others
With the death of Arawn and the destruction of Pryderia, the hero known as Lone Star was thrown through several dimensions, eventually appearing in Covenant Space. At first she attempted to find a way back to her own universe, but as the possibility of that successfully happening became increasingly remote, she allowed herself to be drawn into the life of a hero. Naturally altruistic, and gifted with tremendous physical powers, Lone Star found herself fighting to save a colony on the edge of Covenant Space from an incursion from the Machine Worlds. That was four hundred cycles ago. Since then, she has wandered the galaxy, saving lives, fighting criminals, and generally playing the hero. Occasionally she looks in on anyone researching dimensional physics or the Jump Gates, still seeking a way to bridge the gap between universes, but after all this time some of the urgency has worn off, and she has friends and allies in Covenant Space who need her.
Abilities: STR: 44 (+17) DEX: 18 (+4) CON: 36 (+13) INT: 14 (+2) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 18 (+4)
Skills: Bluff 4 (+8)
Diplomacy 4 (+8)
Gather Information 4 (+8)
Intimidate 8 (+12)
Knowledge: Civics 12 (+14)
Notice 8 (+10)
Sense Motive 8 (+10)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Attractive 1
Beginner’s Luck
Follow-Up Strike
Improved Grab
Improved Grapple
Improved Initiative 1
Improved Pin
Jack-of-All-Trades
Luck 2
Power Attack
Ultimate Effort: Toughness Save
Veteran Fighter
Withstand Damage
Powers: Blast 15
Flight 15 [500000 mph, 4400000 ft./rnd]
  • AP: Speed 15 [500000 mph, 4400000 ft./rnd]
Immunity 12 [Aging, Critical Hits, Life Support]
Impervious Toughness 17
Protection 4
Super-Speed 8 [Limited: Quickness (routine tasks at x500 speed)]
Super-Senses 15 [Extended 2 (Hearing), Extended 3 (Vision), Infravision, Microscopic Vision 4, Ultra-Hearing, X-Ray Vision]
Super-Strength 15 [Heavy Load 1.9k tons; Bracing, Countering Punch, Groundstrike, Shockwave, Thunderclap]
Combat: Attack +12 [Unarmed DC 32, Blast DC 30], Defense +12, Init +8
Saves: Toughness +17, Fortitude +16, Reflex +10, Will +10
Description: Tall and curvy, Lone Star is an athletically muscled and very beautiful woman. She has pale skin, violet eyes, and long brown hair streaked with purple. She wears a black leather uniform, accented with red, white, and blue. As a genetically engineered superhuman warrior, Lone Star is incredibly strong, is for all intents and purposes completely invulnerable to harm, can survive in virtually any hostile environment, and can generate destructive beams of violet energy from her eyes. Her senses, particularly her vision, are superhuman as well, granting her phenomenal awareness of her surroundings. She flies at subluminal speeds, but generally needs access to a starship to reach other star systems.

Under the Hood
Lone Star is actually a future/alternate version of one of my oldest M&M characters, which is why the description doesn't really match the picture very closely. This was the closest I could find that I was happy with. The statue is at least a super-tough looking brunette with cartoonishly exaggerated curves, even if the violet eyes and costume colors aren't accurate.

Lone Star is from the Guardians setting. In 1st edition, I actually made her as a PL 15 character, very much as a Power Girl expy, but when 2E came out, I scaled her back to PL 10 like a good player character. I wanted some kind of connection to my other settings, so I picked Lone Star to survive into the Covenant setting. That first paragraph kind of spoils the ultimate fate of a Foundation villain, but no one but me will remember that when I get around to posting Foundation builds.

As a Pryderian, Lone Star is basically a Kryptonian, a flying brick with super senses and eyebeams. A professional superhero from another time and/or universe, she still spends all of her free time flying around the galaxy helping wherever she can. She could probably make a nice home for herself among the Hypernauts, but then again that team is full up on flying bricks, and a fourth one would be a little too redundant.
Last edited by Yojimbo on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: The Covenant [Cosmic Beings; Lone Star, Asmodel]

Post by Yojimbo » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:33 am

Asmodel
The mysterious angelic being known as Asmodel wanders the cosmos, carried from world to world by whim and curiosity. A psychic vampire who feeds on powerful emotions, Asmodel seeks out vulnerable populations to manipulate and control for his own ends. After he has sucked them dry, he moves on to the next one, but in between is a time of hedonism and darkness, madness and frivolity.

Outstanding warrants for his arrest exist in hundreds of systems across Covenant space, and he is legendary among bounty hunters as that “last big score,” but Asmodel has as yet avoided justice for his crimes, always evading captors or overpowering his hunters. Although he appears to lack the ability to travel from world to world on his own, he never lacks for helpers to get him from place to place.
Abilities: STR: 10/30 (-/+10) DEX: 16 (+3) CON: 10/30 (-/+10) INT: 16 (+3) WIS: 24 (+7) CHR: 22 (+7)
Skills: Bluff 8 (+14)
Concentration 8 (+15)
Craft: Artistic 4 (+7)
Diplomacy 8 (+14)
Intimidate 8 (+14)
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 4 (+7)
Knowledge: Behavioral Science 4 (+7)
Knowledge: Theology & Philosophy 8 (+11)
Medicine 4 (+11)
Notice 4 (+11)
Perform: Oratory 8 (+14)
Sense Motive 4 (+11)
Feats: Artificer
Attractive 1
Beautiful Voice 2 [Diplomacy]
Benefit 3 [Enigma]
Defensive Attack
Demonic Glare 3
Fascinate: Perform
Fearless
Improved Initiative 2
Inspire 5
Leadership
Ritualist
Rousing Speech 2 [Perform]
Powers: Emotion Control 15 [Shapeable Area, Selective Attack]
Enhanced CON 20
Enhanced STR 20
Flight 15 [500000 mph, 4400000 ft./rnd]
Immunity 25 [Aging, Emotion Effects, Fatigue Effects, Interaction Skills, Life Support]
Mind Control 15 [Shapeable Area, Selective Attack]
  • AP: Mental Blast 15 [Burst Area, Selective Attack, Range 2 (Touch)]
Protection 5
Strike 5 [Mighty, Affects Insubstantial 2, Extended Reach, Incurable]
Combat: Attack +15 [Unarmed DC 25, Strike DC 30, Emotion Control DC 25, Mind Control DC 25, Mental Blast DC 30], Defense +15, Init +11
Saves: Toughness +15, Fortitude +12, Reflex +8, Will +17
Description: Tall, gorgeous, broad shouldered, and instantly commanding, Asmodel appears generally human, although his skin is bone white and criss-crossed with elaborate black tattoos in whirling patterns. Asmodel’s eyes, hair, lips and nails are black in color as well, and enormous gray and black feathered wings erupt from his shoulders. He doesn’t usually wear much more than pants, eschews jewelry of any kind, and prefers to fly rather than walk or even stand. His wings are not linked to his ability to defy gravity, and he can achieve truly incredible air speeds that they are not biologically capable of achieving. Physically enhanced beyond peak human abilities, Asmodel is also immune to most environmental effects (allowing him to fly in space), doesn’t tire or age, and cannot be manipulated, verbally tricked, or intimidated. Asmodel’s most frightening abilities are those linked to mental and emotional manipulation, which he can use simultaneously upon a wide number of people. He can also exert that power to simply cause crippling, enormous pain.

Under the Hood
That image is another Daryl Mandryk piece, almost but not quite a companion to the art I used for Duke Infernus. I went with an evil angel, Luciferian manipulator type for Asmodel, figuring that by this point I didn't have enough truly villainous characters populating this space opera setting. He's kind of a monster, especially with that Will save, and how powerful his own Will effects are. A DC 30 Mind Blast is likely to stagger just about anybody.

Woodclaw

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: The Covenant [Cosmic Beings; Lone Star, Asmodel]

Post by Woodclaw » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:37 am

Yojimbo wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:27 am
That picture takes me back. I was one of the guys who stated the characters for Charlie McElvy's original Watchguard Sourcebook.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)

Yojimbo

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: The Covenant [Cosmic Beings; Lone Star, Asmodel]

Post by Yojimbo » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:41 pm

Woodclaw wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:37 am
That picture takes me back. I was one of the guys who stated the characters for Charlie McElvy's original Watchguard Sourcebook.
Cool! A lot of these images I have no context for. I just got them off Pinterest or GIS.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: The Covenant [Cosmic Beings; Mars, Nyx]

Post by Yojimbo » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 pm

Mars
Immensely powerful and insanely ambitious, the being named Mars was once a regional governor of the Covenant system Hlanith, known by the name of Huvar Grable-Nekt. A competent but unremarkable administrator, Grable-Nekt had the misfortune of presiding over Hlanith during an incursion of Kthunians. The psychic aliens overran the system, enslaved the populace, and began gathering them into camps for breeding and feeding. Grable-Nekt was selected as one of the few for experimentation, and he was the only one who survived the painful process.

Incredible psychic powers were unlocked within Grable-Nekt, as well as a multitude of other personalities. One of those personalities soon took over Grable-Nekt’s body, reshaped it for its own ends, and unleashed cosmic destruction on the invading Kthunians. Now calling himself Mars after an ancient god of war, the being that was once Huvar Grable-Nekt declared Hlanith a sovereign system and seceded from the Covenant.

The Covenant initially attempted to negotiate with Mars, hoping to convince him to return to the fold and lend his enormous power to Covenant interests, but Mars wasn’t interested. In a few short cycles, he rebuilt Hlanith without Covenant aid, and began sending out his own armies to conquer nearby systems and absorb them into his burgeoning Martian Empire. The Covenant has sent ships to deal with him, but Mars has so far managed to overcome all opposition. Unbeknownst to the population of Hlanith and other conquered territories, Mars has retained the psychoreactive machinery of the Kthunians and continues to experiment on human beings, hoping to duplicate their success with him, and create an unstoppable force of new gods.

There is not much of Huvar Grable-Nekt left. At his apotheosis, Grable-Nekt psychokinetically transformed himself at the atomic level, while the surviving personality is nothing like Grable-Nekt at all. It is possible that some remnant of Huvar remains, buried deep inside, and if there is, it may be the key to defeating him – or returning him to the fold as a loyal citizen of the Covenant.
PL: 17
Abilities: STR: 34 (+12) DEX: 22 (+6) CON: 34 (+12) INT: 22 (+6) WIS: 22 (+6) CHR: 22 (+6)
Skills: Computers 4 (+10)
Concentration 4 (+10)
Diplomacy 8 (+14)
Intimidate 8 (+14)
Knowledge: Civics 8 (+14)
Knowledge: History 8 (+14)
Knowledge: Tactics 8 (+14)
Notice 8 (+14)
Pilot 4 (+10)
Sense Motive 8 (+14)
Feats: Accurate Attack
All-Out Attack
Ambidexterity
Combat Awareness
Defensive Attack
Defensive Strike
Eagle Eyes
Finishing Blow
Follow-Up Strike
Followup Attack
Improved Aim
Improved Block 3
Improved Initiative 2
Move-by Action
Power Attack
Precise Shot 2
Precise Strike
Stunning Attack
Takedown Attack 2
Powers: Blast 16 [Homing 2, Improved Range 4 (4000 ft. incr), Incurable, Precise]
  • AP: Telekinesis 16 [Heavy Load 1.6k tons]
Immunity 14 [Aging, Critical Hits, Disease, Life Support, Poison]
Protection 10 [Impervious]
Regeneration 22 [Bruised 3, Disabled 4, Injured 4, Staggered 4, Unconscious 3 (Diehard, Persistent, Regrowth, True Resurrection)]
Summon 12 [Fanatical, Horde, Mental Link; Progression 9 (1000 minions), Limited (Requires Matter)]
Super-Senses 10 [Detect Life 2 (Extended 4, Penetrates Concealment, Radius)]
Teleport 14 [1400 ft/move action; 2 billion miles/full round action; Change Direction, Change Velocity, Easy, Turnabout]
Weapon Summoning 10 [Mighty, Immunity to Summoned Weapons]
Combat: Attack +12 [Blast DC 31, Summoned Weapons to DC 37], Defense +12, Init +14
Saves: Toughness +22, Fortitude +16, Reflex +12, Will +12
Description: Huvar Grable-Nekt was a portly, balding middle-aged functionary who was never seen outside of formal attire or without his comm package. The warlord Mars is a massively built, imposing, broad shouldered man who stands just short of seven feet tall, with piercing cobalt blue eyes and black hair shorn close to his skull. He wears a skintight black transuit, over which he usually places an array of bronze armor plates in an ancient style, reminiscent of a Roman legionary. His cape and the plumed crest of his helm are the color of freshly spilled blood.

The Kthunians hit the jackpot when they experimented on Grable-Nekt. He is one of the most naturally powerful psychokinetics in the galaxy, although his power was buried deep inside him until the Kthunians unlocked it. His new body is superhumanly strong and durable, no longer ages or suffers from environmental extremes, and can repair itself from nearly any damage, up to and including death. Mars can sense life forms all around him, to a minimum radius of about 20 miles. He can generate a beam of concussive force that can shatter starship bulkheads or shatter mountains. He can disassemble his own molecules and transfer them almost instantaneously across almost limitless distances, suffering neither disorientation nor discomfort of any kind in doing so. Mars can spontaneously manifest weapons of any kind, including modern ones, but he prefers to create close combat devices in ancient styles. He can also reshape available non-living matter to effectively create whole armies out of thin air – an ability he cannot use in the depths of space, but anywhere on a planet, space station, or starship, anywhere that he has access to physical matter.
Martian Warrior
PL: 12
Abilities: STR: 30 (+10) DEX: 10 (-) CON: - (-) INT: - (-) WIS: 10 (-) CHR: - (-)
Skills: Notice 8
Stealth 8
All-Out Attack
Defensive Attack
Improved Aim
Improved Block 1
Improved Initiative 1
Move-by Action
Power Attack
Powers: Blast 10
Flight 4 [100 mph, 880 ft./rnd]
Immunity 30 [Fortitude Saves]
Protection 10
Strike 4 [Mighty, Penetrating]
Combat: Attack +10 [Blast DC 25, Strike DC 29], Defense +10, Init +4
Saves: Toughness +10, Fortitude Immune, Reflex +6, Will +6
Description: The warriors of Mars almost always vary in appearance, being physically altered manifestations of local matter. Planetside, they always look hewn from the living rock, while in cities or on starships or space stations they appear as technological beings not unlike the robots of the Machine Worlds. They have no intelligence or will of their own, being effectively remote controlled by Mars’ unconscious mind, another phenomenal manifestation of his unchecked power. Whatever their appearance, they always manifest as vaguely resembling Roman legionnaires, except that one arm terminates in a blaster weapon rather than a hand, and the other arm ends in a straight, monomolecular edged blade. The Martian warriors are fragile, being held together and animated solely by Mars’ will, and will fall apart with one good hit. Their strength and their threat lies in their numbers and their ability to manifest quickly and bolster Mars’ already considerable might.

In addition, Mars has access to the planetary defense force of Hlanith, as well as the rest of the planet’s military, infrastructure, and resources, which includes scavenged Kthunian tech. Mars has also taken control of the three systems nearest to Hlanith: Tsuka, Illarth, and Whivi, absorbing their militaries and resources into the totality of the Martian Empire.

Under the Hood
I wavered a little bit when designing Mars, toying briefly with the idea of making him the actual god of war, but eventually decided that Odin already kind of fit that slot (with some ambiguity). So I made this guy a deranged, psychotic super-telekinetic nutjob instead. He thinks he's the god of war, and he has the power to back that up. Which makes him a lot more dangerous in my mind.

The Kthunians I will get to eventually. They basically amount to little Cthulhus or Illithids, psionic squid-faced aliens with bad plans for people. I have them built, I just need to flesh them out, like most of this setting, actually.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: The Covenant [Cosmic Beings; Mars, Nyx]

Post by Yojimbo » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:47 pm

Nyx
The mysterious being identified as Nyx exists on the fringes of Covenant space, keeping her activities confined to the remote regions of the galaxy and avoiding, in the main, the more populated systems.

Enigmatic, mysterious to a fault, with unknown motives, Nyx is apparently on the side of law and order, inasmuch as she has set herself in apparent opposition to other aliens, the Machine Worlds, and dangerous parahumans who threaten the fabric of Covenant civilization. But as she refuses to engage Covenant authorities or disclose her own origins, she remains a subject of distrust in official circles, and she is wanted for questioning on a dozen worlds.

Nyx appears to be a powerful psionic who can manipulate shadow and light for a seemingly endless variety of effects. The upper limits of her power are, in fact, unknown, which is just one of the issues regarding Nyx that alarms Covenant officials. The other thing that worries those aware of such things, is her ability to travel across star systems without need of a ship or Gate.
PL: 16
Abilities: STR: 28 (+9) DEX: 18 (+4) CON: 28 (+9) INT: 18 (+4) WIS: 22 (+6) CHR: 24 (+7)
Skills: Bluff 8 (+15)
Diplomacy 8 (+15)
Gather Information 4 (+11)
Intimidate 8 (+15)
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 8 (+12)
Knowledge: Current Events 8 (+12)
Knowledge: Theology & Philosophy 8 (+12)
Notice 8 (+14)
Sense Motive 8 (+14)
Stealth 16 (+20)
Attractive 1
Beautiful Voice [Diplomacy]
Blind-Fight
Challenge – Improved Demoralize
Defensive Attack
Fascinate [Diplomacy]
Fascinate [Intimidate]
Inspire 3
Jack-of-All-Trades
Power Attack
Powers: Device 10: Moon Blade [Easy to Lose, Only Nyx Can Use, Indestructible, Summonable]
Deflect 12 [All Ranged Attacks, Reflection]
  • AP: Strike 6 [Autofire 3, Penetrating, Vampiric, Affects Insubstantial 1, Incurable, Mighty]
Flight 8 [2500 mph/22000 ft./rnd]
Immunity 12 [Aging, Life Support, Uncommon Descriptor: Darkness]
Protection 6
“Shadow Form” Insubstantial 4 [Incorporeal]
Super-Senses 2 [Darkvision, Custom: Can See Through Own Powers]
“Wall of Night” Obscure 20 [Visual Senses, Range: 200 ft, Radius: 12,500,000 ft., Selective Attack]
  • AP: “Arms of the Night” Strike 16 [Burst Area (80 ft. radius, Penetrating 10, Selective Attack]
  • AP: “Army of the Night” Summon 14 [Fanatical, Horde, Progression 4 (25 minions)]
  • AP: “Gate of the Night” Teleport 15 [1500 ft./move action, anywhere in the same solar system as a full action; Portal]
  • AP: “Moon Constructs” Create Object 14 [Range: 140 ft., Max Size: 14x 50’ cubes, DC 24, Impervious, Movable (Radius: 70 ft., Force: 204.8 tons), Progression Size 3, Stationary]
  • AP: “Moonbeams” Blast 16 [Burst Area]
  • AP: “Nightwalking” Teleport 16 [Nearby Star Systems as Full Round Action; Accurate, Progression Mass 8 [50,000 lbs]
Combat: Attack +12 [Strike DC 31, Blast DC 31, Strike DC 30, Unarmed DC 24], Defense +12, Init +4
Saves: Toughness +15, Fortitude +12, Reflex +8, Will +12
Description: Beautiful and shapely, Nyx appears as a dark skinned human woman with silver eyes, midnight black hair, and a pair of enormous black feathered wings growing from her back. She wears robes of dark purple edged in silver, cut to accentuate freedom of movement. Nyx wields a large hand and a half sword with a silver blade which she can pull out of the air. Typically used to block incoming ranged attacks, the sword can also be used for devastating close combat attacks. She can fly at supersonic speeds using her wings, and easily survive unaided in the vacuum of space. Seemingly unencumbered by lack of light, Nyx can see or move through total darkness, even the impenetrable darkness that she herself can generate. Her shadow powers are legion, and not limited to teleportation, summoning an army of shadowy servitors, and bringing darkness to an entire moon or planetoid. Strangely, Nyx can also generate beams of silvery light, or create solid objects of the same shimmering, silvery energy. Whether that is the full extent of her power remains unknown.
Minion: Shadow
PL: 11
Abilities: STR: 10 (-) DEX: 28 (+9) CON: 30 (+10) INT: 14 (+2) WIS: 10 (-) CHR: 10 (-)
Skills: Bluff 12
Escape Artist 4 (+13)
Intimidate 12
Notice 8
Stealth 16 (+25)
Blind-Fight
Defensive Attack
Evasion 2
Fearless
Hide in Plain Sight
Improved Concealment
Improved Initiative 2
Improved Trick
Move-by Action
Power Attack
Teamwork
Powers: Alternate Form 14: Shadow [Permanent, Innate]
Concealment 4 [All Visual Senses]
Fatigue 10
  • AP: Strike 10 [Alternate Save: Fortitude]
Flight 2 [25 mph, 220 ft./rnd]
Immunity 9 [Life Support]
Insubstantial 4 [Incorporeal]
Super-Movement 4 [Air-Walking 2 (Full Speed), Trackless, Zero-G]
Combat: Attack +10 [Fatigue DC 20, Strike DC 25], Defense +10, Init +17
Saves: Toughness +10, Fortitude +12, Reflex +12, Will +6
Description: Nyx’ personal army can be summoned with a thought, although their existence precludes the use of a number of her other abilities. They manifest as living shadows, vaguely humanoid in shape, which detach themselves from walls or floors or what have you to do her bidding. Immaterial, barely existing in the physical realm, they are still able to affect living beings, draining life and health with a touch.

Under the Hood
... and then I went back to making weird alien creatures that might be gods. Nyx is a bag of questions, although it does seem likely given the preponderance of superpowers in the setting that she is just a really powerful superhuman and not a goddess. Then again, it's a big universe and anything is possible.

Her shadow/night/moon powers were fun to design. She's got some versatility to go with all that power.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: The Covenant [Cosmic Beings; Inganok, Seraphim]

Post by Yojimbo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:56 am

Inganok
The World Devourer Inganok is an immense alien intelligence that travels the cosmos, attacking and destroying living worlds. Covenant planets live in mortal terror that Inganok may visit them, and there are protocols in place for planetary defense and evacuation. No hero of the Covenant has ever defeated Inganok in combat, although he has been slowed long enough to get most of the population off world.

Inscrutable and monstrous, Inganok is clearly incredibly intelligent although it does not attempt to communicate with lesser sapients. Typically it materializes in a population center and begins laying waste to structures and inhabitants. When its fun is over, Inganok extends its tendrils through planetary crust deep into the core, where it absorbs minerals and elements, psychic energy, or something else from the planet. Invariably this destabilizes the planet, and it begins to break up, eventually exploding into space. By then Inganok is long gone, having shifted somewhere else in the universe.

These attacks are random, not only spatially and geographically, but also temporally. Covenant scientists believe that Inganok runs on some sort of cycle, but they have yet to determine how that cycle operates, or on what scale. The attacks are thankfully rare, as there have only been 374 of them in the last 12,000 years of Covenant history, but the amount of devastation involved and the loss of life, property and resources so epic that Inganok remains one of the greatest terrors of Covenant space. It should also be noted that Inganok hardly keeps himself confined to Covenant worlds; he is worshipped and feared across the galaxy.
PL: 23
Abilities: STR: 50 (+20) DEX: 10 (-) CON: 50 (+20) INT: 30 (+10) WIS: 30 (+10) CHR: 10 (-)
Skills: Intimidate 12 (+22)
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 8 (+18)
Knowledge: Cosmology 8 (+18)
Knowledge: Otherworlds 8 (+18)
Knowledge: Physical Science 8 (+18)
Knowledge: Theology & Philosophy 8 (+18)
Feats: Eidetic Memory
Improved Grab
Jack-of-All-Trades
Power Attack
Ritualist
Powers: Additional Limbs 4 [10 extra limbs; Improved Grapple]
Blast 18 [Line Area, Improved Range 4 (4500 ft. incr), Split Attack]
Confuse 20 [Burst Area, Duration 3 (Continuous), Range (Touch), Progression Area 3 (100-1000 ft.)]
Growth 20 [Innate, Permanent]
Protection 15 [Impervious]
Regeneration 1 [Resurrection (1 week; True)]
Super Strength 20 [Heavy Load 429.5 million tons]
Telepathy 18 [Anywhere in the galaxy; Omni-Directional, Selective]
  • AP: ESP 18 [All Types, Anywhere in the galaxy]
Teleport 18 [1800 ft./move action, Anywhere in the galaxy/full round action]
Combat: Attack +10 [Unarmed DC 35, Blast DC 33, Confuse DC 30, Telepathy DC 28], Defense +10, Init +0
Saves: Toughness +35, Fortitude +25, Reflex +10, Will +25
Description: Inganok is an immense monstrous creature that towers around 300 meters in height. It resembles an enormous squid, with a two lobed head, six enormous glowing red eyes, and ten massive tentacles. Inganok is not native to this layer of reality, and exists in more than three dimensions. Even were it to be destroyed, it would still be able to recover over time. It can warp space at will, appearing anywhere in the galaxy in the blink of an eye, and it can exert its will and mind across the breadth of the galaxy as well. Even its senses can extend across the entirety of the galaxy. Reality itself becomes a little wobbly and uncertain whenever the creature manifests, and the minds of observers can react with unpredictable results. The eyes can generate a broad beam of superheated energy that can annihilate virtually anything in its path.

Under the Hood
Inganok is an example of a kind of Elder God loose in the Covenant setting. I think he's got the highest PL of any creature in the galaxy, certainly of the stuff I've posted, and he's pretty much a monster. Not quite Galactus (who served as inspiration), but definitely in that ballpark. Basically just a big, powerful, world-destroying monster. The actual world-destroying part is a PL X ability, but he can be slowed down or stopped before he gets to that point, possibly even defeated by a canny, clever, or powerful enough group of world defenders.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: The Covenant [Cosmic Beings; Inganok, Seraphim]

Post by Yojimbo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:05 am

Seraphim
The Seraphim appear to be a race of inscrutable alien anthropologists, identical in all respects, who traverse the cosmos researching all forms of life and society. Some dozen of them have been recorded, the first appearing some four hundred cycles ago, and they appear to be intensely fascinated with the breadth and depth of Covenant cultures and lifeforms.

Apparently ageless and virtually impervious to harm or interference, the Seraphim manifest in remote corners of Covenant space to observe and record those around them. They do not interfere in local politics, struggles, or customs, preferring to dispassionately record everything that they encounter.

The Seraphim are considered harbingers of change or loss. They have a knack for appearing just before a culture undergoes some radical transformation or evolution, which allows them to record the old phase, the transitional phase, and the new phase. Seraphim will spend decades on one planet, or in one city, never changing themselves, while all around them continues to do so.
PL: 19
Abilities: STR: 22 (+6) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: 26 (+8) INT: 40 (+15) WIS: 26 (+8) CHR: 14 (+2)
Skills: Concentration 16 (+24)
Diplomacy 8 (+10)
Gather Information 8 (+10)
Investigate 4 (+19)
Knowledge: Behavioral Sciences 8 (+23)
Knowledge: Earth Sciences 8 (+23)
Knowledge: History 8 (+23)
Knowledge: Life Sciences 8 (+23)
Knowledge: Physical Sciences 8 (+23)
Knowledge: Theology & Philosophy 8 (+23)
Notice 12 (+20)
Search 4 (+19)
Sense Motive 8 (+16)
Jack-of-All-Trades
Powers: Flight 20 [2,500,000 mph, 2.2e+008 ft/rnd]
  • AP: Teleport 20 [2000 ft./move action, Anywhere in the Universe/full action]
Force Field 20 [Impervious]
Immortality
Impervious Will 18
Mental Blast 12
  • AP: Mental Blast 12 [Penetrating, Mental Weapon]
Super-Senses 24 [Analytical Auditory, Analytical Vision, Extended Vision 7, Extended Auditory 7, Penetrates Concealment (Visual), Penetrates Concealment (Auditory)]
Combat: Attack +6 [Mental Blast DC 27], Defense +12, Init +2
Saves: Toughness +8/+28, Fortitude +12, Reflex +2, Will +18
Description: The Seraphim appear identical, although close examination reveals that there are slight, almost imperceptible differentiations from one to another, enough to indicate that they comprise a species and not a single individual. Crustacean like humanoids, they are covered in a hard carapace of purple or maroon, with large inflexible wings adorning their backs and large glowing spheres decorating their bodies. A golden disc is inlaid within the forehead of the piscine head, and fields of glowing blue force orbit the body, occasionally flickering into the shapes of alien glyphs or alphabet. Seraphim are capable of subluminal flight, but can also fold space so as to travel anywhere in the known universe almost instantly. They are virtually invulnerable to harm, protected by an impenetrable force field, and can generate a glowing weapon of psychic force which can fry the mind of any sapient who comes into contact with it. Their natural senses of sight and hearing are extraordinary, and they are aware of everything happening around them for hundreds of miles.

Under the Hood
From Galactus to the Watchers... this was a really cool, evocative image and something about it makes the figure look like some kind of Egyptian angel, like Saint Michael by way of Osiris. I thought they would make good inscrutably alien beings with strange motivations, but I wanted them to be powerful enough not to really worry about anything the Covenant might throw at them. Not every unfathomable creature needs to be interpreted as evil, I reckon. But they should still be weird and off-putting.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: The Covenant [Cosmic Beings; Traveler, Hunter Vel]

Post by Yojimbo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:49 am

The Traveler
An ancient trickster figure, possibly far older than the Covenant itself, the alien being known as the Traveler has interacted with the Covenant for all of its recorded history, and probably knew humanity even before it reached for the stars.

Variously encountered as male, female, androgynous or hermaphroditic, the Traveler is an agent of change, of chaos, of transformation. Possessing vast cosmic power and an inscrutable sense of humor, Traveler moves from one place to another, forever seeking new sensations, new experiences, and new people to bother and bedevil. Not truly malevolent, the Traveler is more of a mischief maker, deriving as much pleasure from helping people as they do from hindering them.

With seemingly limitless power, Traveler is able to do whatever he or she pleases. Luckily, over the millennia, Traveler has developed a sort of affection for humanity and the Covenant, and is rarely truly destructive. Traveler does like to test individuals, regardless of their abilities, station in life, or the reach of consequences for testing them; these tests typically have a moral component, despite the fact that Traveler is apparently amoral itself.
Abilities: STR: 10 (-) DEX: 22 (+6) CON: 10 (-) INT: 30 (+10) WIS: 30 (+10) CHR: 22 (+6)
Skills: Bluff 8 (+14)
Craft: Artistic 4 (+14)
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 4 (+14)
Knowledge: Art 4 (+14)
Knowledge: Cosmology 4 (+14)
Knowledge: Life Sciences 4 (+14)
Knowledge: Physical Sciences 4 (+14)
Notice 8 (+18)
Sense Motive 4 (+14)
Sleight of Hand 8 (+14)
Stealth 8 (+14)
Improved Initiative 1
Jack-of-All-Trades
Powers: Immunity 1 [Aging]
Shapeshift 20
Teleport 20 [Anywhere in the Universe; Change Direction, Change Velocity, Easy, Progression 8 (50000 lbs), Innate]
Transform 20 [Affects: Anything, Transforms: 2,500,000 lbs.]
  • AP: Create Object 20 [Max Size 20x 5’ cubes; Movable, Stationary, Tether, Innate, Precise; Duration (Continuous/Permanent)]
Combat: Attack +12 [Transform DC 30], Defense +12, Init +10
Saves: Toughness +0, Fortitude +4, Reflex +6, Will +14
Description: Traveler can appear as anything or anyone, and can duplicate any number of traits or characteristics. Most often, Traveler appears as a young man or woman with milky white skin, long white hair, and cool gray eyes. Usually, Traveler wears a sky blue frock coat edged in gold, with matching waistcoat, breeches, and riding boots. She will occasionally wear some biomechanical aspect in gold and blue, such as an arm or leg or eye. Traveler can appear at will anywhere in the galaxy, and even claims to have traveled across the universe a few times. She cannot be trapped or hindered in any way, always managing to sidestep and teleport away. With a wave of her hand, she can transform just about any amount of matter into anything she can imagine, or create objects out of nothing. These objects remain in existence even after she has departed for another world.

Under the Hood
Traveler is my attempt to make a Q without resorting to the simple hand-wave of saying "PL X." The pseudo-18th century garb in the picture put me in mind of Trelane, and its not far from that to get to Q. Basically, Traveler is a cosmic troublemaker, prone to practical jokes and introducing complications into situations that don't really need complications.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: The Covenant [Cosmic Beings; Traveler, Hunter Vel]

Post by Yojimbo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:57 am

Hunter Vel
The star Vel in the Inner Rim somehow attained a level of sapience and sentience that is otherwise unknown in Covenant Space. When the planets in its system were first colonized by intelligent beings, the star observed, recorded, and monitored their development. As time passed, Vel acquired a sort of proprietary interest in the colonists and their civilization, looking on itself as the lifebringer and energy provider for all the people inhabiting the many worlds in its orbit.

When those people were threatened by outside forces, in the form of a Machine World invasion, Vel spontaneously generated a guardian to protect them. This guardian took on a humanoid form, but retained a variety of solar based abilities due to his birth in the heart of a star. Arrogant, headstrong, and supremely powerful, the humanoid proved the key to turning back the Machine World ships and saving the Covenant citizens.

Made aware of the star’s intelligence, the Covenant opened up diplomatic relations with the star, working through the being who called himself Hunter Vel. Since that time, Hunter Vel has remained as protector, defender, and enforcer for the Vel system. He remains supremely arrogant, but he has come to develop his own idiosyncrasies, quirks, and personality separate from the star itself. He has made friendships among the mortals, and considers them an important part of the continued vitality and harmony of the Vel system.
Abilities: STR: 30 (+10) DEX: 30 (+10) CON: 30 (+10) INT: 20 (+5) WIS: 20 (+5) CHR: 20 (+5)
Skills: Diplomacy 8 (+13)
Intimidate 12 (+17)
Knowledge: Physical Science 12 (+17)
Navigate 8 (+13)
Notice 4 (+9)
Sense Motive 4 (+9)
Attack Flurry 4 [Rods of Vel]
Demonic Glare 4
Direction Sense
Fascinate [Intimidate]
Fearless
Fearsome Presence 5
Improved Initiative 1
Move-By Action
Power Attack
Takedown Attack
Twin Weapon Strike
Two-Handed Attack
Powers: “Born of the Sun” Regeneration 1 [Resurrection 1 (1 week)]

“Heat of the Sun” Strike 12 [Aura (Continuous), Duration 2 (sustained), Penetrating]

“Rods of Vel” Device 4 [Easy to Lose, Only He Can Use, Eternal, Indestructible, Summonable]
Strike 6 [Mighty, Autofire 1, Vampiric, Mighty, Thrown (Range 50 ft., 10 ft. incr)]

“Sailor on the Solar Wind” Flight 16 [1,000,000 mph, 8,800,000 ft./rnd]
  • AP: Space Travel 1
“Solar Aura” Force Field 6 [Impervious]

“Solar Fire” Blast 14 [Cone Area, Penetrating]
  • AP: Blast 14 [Burst Area, Penetrating, Range (Touch)]
  • AP: Dazzle 16 [Visual Senses, Burst Area (80-800 ft. radius), Range (Touch), Progression: Area 3]
  • AP: Nullify 14 [Counters: Any Power of Type: Fire Effects; Effortless, Nullifying Field (70-700 ft.), Progression: Area 3]
“Sunborn” Immunity 22 [Aging, Common Descriptor: Fire and Heat Effects, Disease, Life Support, Poison]

Combat: Attack +12 [Unarmed DC 25, Blast DC 29, Blast DC 31, Dazzle DC 26, Nullify DC 24, Strike DC 27, Rods of Vel DC 31], Defense +12, Init +14
Saves: Toughness +10/+16, Fortitude +14, Reflex +14, Will +13
Description: Hunter Vel appears as a humanoid shaped being, mostly composed of energy, but encased in a suit of jet, gold, and red armor that covers him from head to toe. His helm is decorated with a golden crown that has a serpent motif, while a long red cape edged in gold completes his look, giving him a regal appearance. The face mask is carved to resemble a human, but it is frozen in a grimace, with the eye and mouth holes alone revealing the boiling energy contained within his armored form. Hunter Vel is functionally immortal, neither aging nor vulnerable to biological dangers like disease, suffocation, or environmental dangers. So long as the star Vel exists, he cannot be killed. Even if his physical form is destroyed, so long as he is in the Vel system, his consciousness returns to the star and is reborn within a standard week. Hunter Vel can fly at sublight speeds in space or in an atmosphere, and he can generate vast amounts of heat for a variety of effects. Most spectacularly, he can emit a cone of superheated flame that can melt virtually anything, but he can also envelop himself in an aura of heat that scorches anyone who comes close, generate a burst of light that blinds, snuff out any source of heat or flame that he can sense, or melt through even starship bulkheads with a touch. In addition to his fiery powers, Hunter Vel can also summon a pair of snake headed staffs, each about three feet long, which he wields in both hands with devastating power and accuracy. Beyond that, Hunter Vel is superhumanly strong and durable, and benefits from preternatural intelligence, awareness, and force of personality.

Under the Hood
The picture is an interpretation of the Incan sun god, Viracocha. So I started with the idea of a sun god and thought about Dave Cockrum's Futurians, which included a character called Sunswift, who was born inside Sol, Earth's sun. Then it was just a matter of marrying that concept to that image. For example, defining what those club-like weapons in his hands were, fleshing out the abilities of a living solar being, and so on. He's pretty tough, but he should be.

Hoid

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: The Covenant [Cosmic Beings; Inganok, Seraphim]

Post by Hoid » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:12 am

Yojimbo wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:56 am

Inganok
The World Devourer Inganok is an immense alien intelligence that travels the cosmos, attacking and destroying living worlds. Covenant planets live in mortal terror that Inganok may visit them, and there are protocols in place for planetary defense and evacuation. No hero of the Covenant has ever defeated Inganok in combat, although he has been slowed long enough to get most of the population off world.

Inscrutable and monstrous, Inganok is clearly incredibly intelligent although it does not attempt to communicate with lesser sapients. Typically it materializes in a population center and begins laying waste to structures and inhabitants. When its fun is over, Inganok extends its tendrils through planetary crust deep into the core, where it absorbs minerals and elements, psychic energy, or something else from the planet. Invariably this destabilizes the planet, and it begins to break up, eventually exploding into space. By then Inganok is long gone, having shifted somewhere else in the universe.

These attacks are random, not only spatially and geographically, but also temporally. Covenant scientists believe that Inganok runs on some sort of cycle, but they have yet to determine how that cycle operates, or on what scale. The attacks are thankfully rare, as there have only been 374 of them in the last 12,000 years of Covenant history, but the amount of devastation involved and the loss of life, property and resources so epic that Inganok remains one of the greatest terrors of Covenant space. It should also be noted that Inganok hardly keeps himself confined to Covenant worlds; he is worshipped and feared across the galaxy.
PL: 23
Abilities: STR: 50 (+20) DEX: 10 (-) CON: 50 (+20) INT: 30 (+10) WIS: 30 (+10) CHR: 10 (-)
Skills: Intimidate 12 (+22)
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 8 (+18)
Knowledge: Cosmology 8 (+18)
Knowledge: Otherworlds 8 (+18)
Knowledge: Physical Science 8 (+18)
Knowledge: Theology & Philosophy 8 (+18)
Improved Grab
Jack-of-All-Trades
Power Attack
Ritualist
Powers: Additional Limbs 4 [10 extra limbs; Improved Grapple]
Blast 18 [Line Area, Improved Range 4 (4500 ft. incr), Split Attack]
Confuse 20 [Burst Area, Duration 3 (Continuous), Range (Touch), Progression Area 3 (100-1000 ft.)]
Growth 20 [Innate, Permanent]
Protection 15 [Impervious]
Regeneration 1 [Resurrection (1 week; True)]
Super Strength 20 [Heavy Load 429.5 million tons]
Telepathy 18 [Anywhere in the galaxy; Omni-Directional, Selective]
  • AP: ESP 18 [All Types, Anywhere in the galaxy]
Teleport 18 [1800 ft./move action, Anywhere in the galaxy/full round action]
Combat: Attack +10 [Unarmed DC 35, Blast DC 33, Confuse DC 30, Telepathy DC 28], Defense +10, Init +0
Saves: Toughness +35, Fortitude +25, Reflex +10, Will +25
Description: Inganok is an immense monstrous creature that towers around 300 meters in height. It resembles an enormous squid, with a two lobed head, six enormous glowing red eyes, and ten massive tentacles. Inganok is not native to this layer of reality, and exists in more than three dimensions. Even were it to be destroyed, it would still be able to recover over time. It can warp space at will, appearing anywhere in the galaxy in the blink of an eye, and it can exert its will and mind across the breadth of the galaxy as well. Even its senses can extend across the entirety of the galaxy. Reality itself becomes a little wobbly and uncertain whenever the creature manifests, and the minds of observers can react with unpredictable results. The eyes can generate a broad beam of superheated energy that can annihilate virtually anything in its path.

Under the Hood
Inganok is an example of a kind of Elder God loose in the Covenant setting. I think he's got the highest PL of any creature in the galaxy, certainly of the stuff I've posted, and he's pretty much a monster. Not quite Galactus (who served as inspiration), but definitely in that ballpark. Basically just a big, powerful, world-destroying monster. The actual world-destroying part is a PL X ability, but he can be slowed down or stopped before he gets to that point, possibly even defeated by a canny, clever, or powerful enough group of world defenders.
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhthaghn!

Yojimbo

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: The Covenant [Cosmic Beings; Inganok, Seraphim]

Post by Yojimbo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:29 pm

Hoid wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:12 am
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhthaghn!
Pretty much!

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: The Covenant [Cosmic Beings; Celestial Dragon, Xous Potestates]

Post by Yojimbo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:40 pm

Celestial Dragon
The powerful techno-organic being known as the Celestial Dragon was once human. Born and raised on the planet Zenith, Valysta Han joined the Covenant Science Corps straight out of university. Stationed aboard a CNS ship, the Reliant, she helped explore and document the unmapped worlds within Covenant Space. On a supposedly routine expedition on the planet Umatshini, Han and her away team were overwhelmed and captured by the reportedly “placid and docile” alien natives, who proceeded to sacrifice the crew members to their ancient and terrible god before Reliant could mount a rescue operation.

The supposed god was nothing of the sort, but rather a malfunctioning AI interface controlling the remnants of an underground factory installed by the long dead alien race responsible for the Jump Gates. While the rest of Han’s team were mulched and turned into basic building materials for the factory, she was chosen by the AI to become its representative and proxy in the material world. Her body was taken apart and reshaped, her mind unwound and respun together as a blend of machine and flesh. When she emerged, she destroyed the Umatshini natives who had sacrificed her team, but also unleashed cosmic destruction upon the unsuccessful rescue operation from Reliant. The alien AI, in reading Han’s memories, was dismayed to learn that humanity was making use of the Jump Gates and that, in fact, no trace of the builders remained as far as Han or anyone else knew. Just the factory and the malfunctioning AI.

But when she was forced to kill the Reliant crew members, some spark of Han’s original consciousness flamed to life. In a fit of rage and repulsion, she turned on the AI and destroyed it, the factory, and much of the surrounding countryside. Then she flew off into space to find her own way, leaving her former crew alive, terrified, and uncertain.

Later identifying herself as Celestial Dragon, Han has continued to surf the space ways, navigating the Jump Gates on her own, exploring, investigating, and occasionally assisting those in need. The programming of the AI remains strong, partially controlling her actions and personality, and she fears that the life force of Valysta Han is waning. She hopes to find some way to recover her free will, maybe even her normal life, if she can somehow find another functioning fragment of builder technology.
Abilities: STR: 34 (+12) DEX: 18 (+4) CON: 34 (+12) INT: 12 (+1) WIS: 18 (+4) CHR: 14 (+2)
Skills: Bluff 8 (+10)
Diplomacy 12 (+14)
Intimidate 8 (+10)
Knowledge: Physical Science 8 (+9)
Knowledge: Technology 12 (+13)
Knowledge: Theology & Philosophy 8 (+9)
Notice 8 (+12)
Pilot 4 (+8)
Sense Motive 8 (+12)
Beautiful Voice 1 [Diplomacy]
Benefit 4 [Enigma]
Diehard
Improved Initiative 2
Leadership
Move-by Action
Power Attack
Takedown Attack 2
Powers: “Celestial Armor” Container, Passive 5
Immunity 9 [Life Support]
Impervious Toughness 12
Protection 4

“Channeling” Container, Passive 12
Flight 14 [250000 mph, 2200000 ft./rnd]
Immunity 40 [Lethal Energy Damage, Nonlethal Energy Damage; Limited (Half Effect)]
Super-Senses 4 [Detect: Energy Spectra (Ranged, Acute, Radius)]
Super-Strength 4 [Heavy Load 22.4 tons]

“Dragon of the Stars” Container, Active 9
Blast 18 [Improved Range 3 (1800 ft. range incr)
  • AP: Blast 14 [Burst Area 10 (50 ft. radius)]
  • AP: Deflect 13 [Energy Attacks; Redirection, Reflection]
  • AP: Drain 13 [All Traits: Electromagnetic Energy]
“Celestial Carp” Summon 10 [Heroic, Mental Link]

“Sword of the Dragon” Container, Active 4 [Indestructible, Summonable]
Strike 3 [Improved Critical 2, Autofire 3, Extended Reach 1 (5 ft.), Mighty, Thrown 2 (Range: 100 ft., incr 20 ft.)]

Combat: Attack +12 [Blast DC 29, Blast DC 33, Drain DC 23, Strike DC 30, Unarmed DC 27], Defense +12, Init +12
Saves: Toughness +12/+16, Fortitude +12, Reflex +10, Will +10
Description: Tall and stately, perfectly proportioned, Celestial Dragon is a techno-organic being that was constructed by ancient builder technology. She appears to retain her human face and hair, although those are actually synthetic reproductions, and only her brain and a few organs remain of Valysta Han. Celestial Dragon appears to be covered head to toe in ornate blue and white armor, trailing streamers of energy that resemble banners. A single white wing with energy feathers stands up from the middle of her back. Her strength and endurance are superhuman, while her body is virtually indestructible, and she no longer needs to breathe. She can fly under her own power at sublight speeds. Her body can absorb or deflect most forms of energy, and she can further sense any kind of energy with ease, and actually feed on any form of electromagnetic energy. Celestial Dragon can generate a beam of intense blue-white energy, powerful enough to punch through starship armor, or unleash shorter range pulses of the same energy in explosive bursts.

Celestial Dragon can retrieve a huge two-handed sword-like weapon from some kind of interdimensional space. This weapon is as long as she is tall, completely immune to any force yet placed against it, and she can either use it as a devastating personal weapon, or throw it at range. It always returns to her hand.

From the same interdimensional space, Celestial Dragon can summon a small robotic companion that she calls Celestial Carp.
Celestial Carp
A powerful robotic assistant, Celestial Carp is an independent artificial intelligence that Celestial Dragon can summon for assistance. It is fairly primitive by builder standards, but seems free of all traces of the parent AI that created Celestial Dragon in the first place. As an AI, it is of course illegal in Covenant Space, and use of the device has placed Celestial Dragon on several wanted lists.
PL: 11
Abilities: STR: 2 (-4) DEX: 10 (-) CON: - (-) INT: 20 (+5) WIS: 16 (+3) CHR: 10 (-)
Skills: Computers 16 (+21)
Knowledge: Cyberculture 8 (+13)
Knowledge: Physical Science 8 (+13)
Knowledge: Technology 8 (+13)
Notice 4 (+7)
Search 4 (+9)
Feats: Defensive Attack
Direction Sense
Eidetic Memory
Skill Mastery 1 [Computers]
Uncanny Dodge 2 [Sight]
Powers: “Cyber-Link” Datalink 4 [Sense Type: Radio, Range: 1 mile, Omni-Directional, Cyberspace, Machine Control, Rapid]
“Antigrav Systems” Flight 14 [250000 mph, 2200000 ft./rnd]
“Artificial Lifeform” Immunity 30 [Fortitude Saves]
“Ceramic Carapace” Protection 10
Shrinking 8 [Normal Movement, Normal Toughness, Permanent, Innate]
Combat: Attack +6, Defense +12, Init +0
Saves: Toughness +10, Fortitude Immune, Reflex +6, Will +8
Description: Celestial Carp is a two foot long robotic fish, apparently fashioned from the same blue and white ceramics and metals that make up Celestial Dragon’s techno-organic body. Celestial Carp, however, is entirely artificial, containing a flexible learning computer with a high intelligence and an idiosyncratic personality that lends itself to many passive aggressive comments and observations. It possesses no weapon systems, but it can fly at sub-light speeds under its own power, is extremely durable, and can interface at lightning speed with any nearby computer or cyberstation.

Under the Hood
It took me the longest time to come up with a background and rationalization for Celestial Dragon's abilities. Its a great picture, one of the earliest ones I picked for the setting, and it didn't take me too long to build her and her fish sidekick. But I had the devil of a time deciding what she was. I knew she was going to be some kind of cyborg, but that doesn't scream "cosmic" to me, so I had to have some other element. Bringing the builders in solved that problem.

I love the carp. It's not something I would ever think to add to a character myself, but its presence in the image obviously demanded some kind of explanation.
Last edited by Yojimbo on Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.