The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Into the Unknown]

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: The Covenant [Covenant Navy; COV Barricade Heavy Suit, COV Gyre Mecha Starfighter]

Post by Yojimbo » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:50 am

COV Gyre Mecha Starfighter
181 pp/36 ep
Size:
Gargantuan
Power Level: 12 (as pilot)
Abilities: STR: 34 (+12) DEX: 18 (+4)
Features: Advanced Onboard Computer 3
Base Comms, Comp 10 [Radio, Area, Selective, Subtle]
Base Sensors, Comp 10 [Extended Radar, Radius (Radar), Distance Sense, Radio]
Cargo Space 1
Countermeasures 8 [Heat-Seeking Missiles]
Countermeasures 8 [Radar-Guided Missiles]
Ejector Seat
Electromagnetic Seal 1
Environmental Seal 2
IFF Transponder
Improved Control Interface
Jamming 4 [Radar]
Mechamorph [Vehicle]
Precise Handling
Profile Database
Target Tracking Interface 1 [Pulse Cannon]
Zero-G Thrusters
Powers: Blast 10 [Cluster Area, Total Fade, Fades, Fast Fade] “Missile Pods”
Blast 14 [Improved Critical 2 [18-20], Penetrating 6, Autofire, Improved Range (350 ft)] “Pulse Cannon”
Flight 7 [1000 mph, 8800 ft./rnd]
Protection 8 [Impervious]
Combat: Attack +0 [Blast +10, Blast +14], Defense +0, Init +8, Handling Penalty +0
Saves: Toughness +14, Fortitude Immune, Reflex +4, Will +0
Drawbacks: Control Requirements 1 [Requires Mecha Pilot Proficiency], Restricted: Covenant Navy
Description: A humanoid style mecha, the Gyre is an advanced, medium armored and armed mecha designed for multi-use functions on land, air, and space. In emergencies, the Gyre can even function underwater. The Gyre is equipped with shoulder rockets for extended supersonic flight, a handheld pulse cannon that fires rapid fire ion bursts, and shoulder mounted missile pods. The Gyre is designed to transform into a starfighter configuration for extended operations in space. The standard coloring is slate gray with white accents, but individual squadrons usually add their own markings and even colors.
Starfighter Shape
Toughness:
+14
Defense: -4
Size: Gargantuan
STR: 50
Features: Same as Humanoid Mech Shape
Powers: Blast 10 [Explosion Area, Guided, Total Fade, Fades, Fast Fade] “Guided Missiles”
Blast 14 [Improved Critical 2 [18-20], Penetrating 6, Autofire, Improved Range (350 ft)] “Pulse Cannon”
Flight 12 [50000 mph, 440000 ft./rnd]
Impervious Toughness 8
Protection 3
Description: The Gyre’s starfighter shape looks oddly angled and ungainly, like a duck without wings. Designed for zero-g maneuvers, it doesn’t require an aerodynamic design, and is actually ungainly within an atmosphere. The humanoid mech’s pulse cannon becomes a side-mounted weapon, while the missile pods become buried within the fighter’s chassis. However, dorsal mounted guided rocket launchers become available in the new shape.

Under the Hood
There has to be a giant robot that turns into a space fighter though. Those are mandatory.

Not that I am a big anime guy, but Robotech was a pretty big deal when I was a kid, and that kind of stuff is in my DNA - although I preferred the one with the motorcycles over the one with the planes.

Woodclaw

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: The Covenant [Covenant Navy; COV Barricade Heavy Suit, COV Gyre Mecha Starfighter]

Post by Woodclaw » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:53 am

I imagine that the fact that Mecha rules aren't that well integrated with the rest of the system doesn't help.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)

Yojimbo

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: The Covenant [Covenant Navy; COV Barricade Heavy Suit, COV Gyre Mecha Starfighter]

Post by Yojimbo » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:26 pm

Woodclaw wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:53 am
I imagine that the fact that Mecha rules aren't that well integrated with the rest of the system doesn't help.
Yeah. They're pretty well designed in and of themselves, but once I started layering mechs on top of a character I already built, it got complicated. Some of the features are real fiddly, too, moreso than M&M usually is (even 2E).

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:35 pm

That's why i just consider Mecha suit to be giant Battle Suits/Armor with an Alternate form effect and go from there......

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:02 am

MacynSnow wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:35 pm
That's why i just consider Mecha suit to be giant Battle Suits/Armor with an Alternate form effect and go from there......
Yeah, I do that too. But mechs are still fun to do once in a while.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: The Covenant [Covenant Navy; CNS 989 Banshee, CNS Discovery]

Post by Yojimbo » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:08 am

CNS-989 Banshee
STR:
Toughness: +14
Defense: -4
Size: Gargantuan
Features: Advanced Onboard Computer 2
Base Comms, Comp 10 [Radio, Area, Selective, Subtle]
Base Sensors, Comp 10 [Extended Radar, Radius (Radar), Distance Sense, Radio]
Cargo Space 2
Ejector Seat
Electromagnetic Seal 1
Environmental Seal 2
IFF Transponder
Jamming 4 [Radar]
Profile Database
Target Tracking Interface 1 [Pulse Cannon]
Powers: Flight 12 [50000 mph, 440000 ft./rnd]
Impervious Toughness 10
Protection 3
"Twin-Linked Pulse Cannons" Blast 14 [Improved Critical 2 (18-20), Autofire, Improved Range 2 (700 ft. incr)]
Description: The Banshee is the standard snub-nosed starfighter used by Covenant Navy forces. It is actually a bit of an archaic design, with its reliance on pulse cannon weaponry and lack of either missile weapons or effective countermeasures, and is in the midst of being phased out, to be replaced by the sleeker and more heavily armed CNS-992 Griffon. Still, the Banshee is a reliable craft with medium armor and truly devastating pulse cannons, and pilots across Covenant space have used the ship to great effect.

Under the Hood
More vehicles! There's a plethora of spaceship designs available on the internet. This is one of them. I've found better, but I kind of like this one. Maybe its the green color, but it looks like a WWII jet.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: The Covenant [Covenant Navy; CNS 989 Banshee, CNS Discovery]

Post by Yojimbo » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:14 am

CNS Discovery
STR:
Toughness: +18
Defense Bonus: -12
Size: Awesome
Features: Communications
Computer
Defense System
Fire Prevention System
Gym
Hanger
Holding Cells
Infirmary
Navigation System 4
Laboratory
Living Space
Pool
Power System
Security System 2
Powers: Flight 14 [250000 mph, 2200000 ft./rnd]
"Laser Batteries" Blast 10 [Improved Range 5 (5000 ft. incr)]
"Missile Pods" Blast 10 [Area, Explosion (Targeted), Guided, Improved Range 5 (5000 ft. incr)]
"Wave Motion Gun" Blast 18 [Area, Line (Targeted), Penetrating; Improved Range 5 (7000 ft.)]
Description: A light, mid-range Covenant Navy battleship, the Discovery is an explorer vessel. It possesses a complement of 320 crew, which includes 60 marines and 20 pilots. The hanger contains ten Banshee starfighters, and ten Gyre mechs.

Under the Hood
This is a basic explorer craft used by the Covenant Navy. The rest of the characters I'll be posting for the Navy are the crew of the ship. This was another campaign idea I bandied about, before settling on the idea of starting the game with the Crimson Legion. Which, of course, I never actually got to do.

Edit: Upped the effectiveness of the "Wave Motion Gun."
Last edited by Yojimbo on Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: The Covenant [Covenant Navy; Captain Solomon Marduk, Commander Amarinth Istar]

Post by Yojimbo » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:56 pm

Captain Solomon Marduk
Marduk was born on a pastoral planet in the Inner Core, destined to become a farmer like his father, and his father’s father before him. Except Marduk decided to enlist in the Covenant Navy to escape a life of drudgery and manual labor. Of course, the life of a cadet actually involves a lot of drudgery and manual labor, but at the very least he had to make a trip through a Jump Gate to get to the academy. During the initial screening, it was revealed that Marduk had the genetic potential for psychoportation. He volunteered for an accelerated gene-activation program that successfully triggered his psychic abilities, which made him very valuable in the field. Based on his powers alone he earned a lieutenancy, and served with distinction on the CNS Odyssey. Marduk earned a commendation and a battlefield promotion for his actions on the planet Silas, facing off against Machines. Another few years as a commander aboard the Krypton gave Marduk the necessary experience and skill to take his first captaincy. Given the fresh off the line Discovery, Marduk is determined to prove himself worthy of the honor and responsibility of a Covenant Navy captain.
PL: 12
Abilities: STR: 14 (+2) DEX: 16 (+3) CON: 14 (+2) INT: 16 (+3) WIS: 16 (+3) CHR: 18 (+4)
Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+7)
Climb 4 (+6)
Diplomacy 4 (+8)
Drive 4 (+7)
Intimidate 4 (+8)
Knowledge: Tactics 8 (+11)
Navigate 4 (+7)
Pilot 8 (+11)
Profession: Navy Officer 4 (+7)
Sense Motive 4 (+7)
Stealth 8 (+11)
Survival 4 (+7)
Swim 4 (+6)
Feats: Benefit: Military Rank 4 [Captain]
Improved Aim
Improved Initiative 1
Inspire 3
Leadership
Luck 2
Precise Shot 2
Well-Informed
Equipment 1 [Commlink, Comp-Board, Armored Jumpsuit; Autoblaster Rifle]
Powers: Protection 7
Spatial Control 16 [1600 ft./move action; nearby star systems as full round action; Change Direction, Change Velocity, Easy, Turnabout]
  • AP: Blast 12 [Line Area, 5x300 ft line – Targeted]
  • AP: Deflect 12 [All Ranged Attacks]
  • AP: Dimensional Anchor [Nullify 9 (Teleport; Burst Area, Sustained)]
  • AP: Duplication 12 [Heroic, Real; Absorption Healing, Mental Link, Progression 2 (5 duplicates)]
  • AP: Elongation 8 [1000 ft., Improved Range 1 (200 ft. range increment)]
  • AP: Speed 10 [10000 mph, 88000 ft./rnd]
  • AP: Teleport Attack [Teleport 8 (Ranged, Accurate, Progression 4 (2500 lbs)]
  • AP: Teleportal [Teleport 9 (Portal)]
Combat: Attack +12 [Unarmed +2, Autoblaster Rifle +8, Blast +12, Teleport Attack +8], Defense +12, Init +7
Saves: Toughness +9/+12, Fortitude +7, Reflex +8, Will +8
Description: A good looking human in his early middle years, Marduk’s brown eyes turned blue when his powers activated. Square jawed and athletically muscled, Marduk keeps his brown hair trimmed close to his skull. On the bridge or within the ship, he dresses in the white and blue uniform of an officer, but whenever he goes into the field (which, admittedly, as captain is very rare), he is sure to wear a maroon and black armored uniform. Marduk’s psychoportation abilities are off the charts; he’s almost as good as a Jump Gate himself. He can fold space to step between star systems, create a portal that links two spaces as much as two thousand miles apart, or even forcefully teleport a being the same distance. Marduk can extend his reach by warping the distance between himself and his target, or seem to accelerate his movement rate to ridiculous speeds by skipping the intervening space between. He can block other creatures from teleporting, or create a warp effect field around himself that keeps incoming projectiles from harming him. He can appear in up to five places at once, again by warping space, effectively multiplying his effectiveness to the point where he can run a ship’s bridge on his own under emergencies. Lastly, he can create a harmful effect by focusing his concentration and warping the physical body of an opponent.

Under the Hood
I don't have any knowledge of "Fracture," although I assume it's a video game of some kind. I stole - ahem - borrowed a lot of art from it, though. This guy looked a little like John Crichton from Farscape, at least with the black and maroon color scheme, that I decided to give him wormhole powers. Although, I think I was also flipping through Unlimited Power looking for unusual power sets, too, so it all kind of came together.

I don't think that every Covenant Navy ship is as well-stocked with superhumans as Discovery is, but since this is a superhero game and this was going to be one of the potential frameworks for a campaign, I filled the crew with a bunch of them.

While I've never gotten to use any of the Covenant material in actual play, I did purloin Solomon Marduk's name and build for The Foundation. I'll get into that when the time comes, though.

Davies

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: The Covenant [Covenant Navy; CNS 989 Banshee, CNS Discovery]

Post by Davies » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:01 pm

Yojimbo wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:14 am
"Wave Motion Gun" Blast 14 [Area, Line (Targeted); Improved Range 5 (7000 ft.)]
That's kind of a low damage level for a Wave Motion Gun ...

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: The Covenant [Covenant Navy; Captain Solomon Marduk, Commander Amarinth Istar]

Post by Yojimbo » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:03 pm

Commander Amarinth Istar
Commercial pilot Amarinth Istar used to fly sky-tours across the badlands of Ares, a rocky planet known for its deep canyons and towering mountains. On one trip, her tourists convinced her to set down near a strange energy reading. The man who had insisted Istar land discovered a strange artifact wedged into the living rock, and somehow activated it. Later, the authorities found the top of the mountain sheared off, and Istar the only survivor. She had also acquired the ability to generate and manipulate energy fields. After a battery of tests to determine the effects on Istar’s physiology and psychology, Istar was more or less forcibly asked to join the Covenant Navy as a powered agent. The pay was a damn sight better than an ordinary pilot might have earned, and the chance to use her abilities and explore the universe proved attractive. Although Istar did not join up entirely of her own will, she has served for almost eight years and recently achieved the rank of commander. Istar gained the Discovery with her new rank, and is still getting used to being the second in command on a Covenant Navy Starship.
Abilities: STR: 10 (-) DEX: 18 (+4) CON: 10 (-) INT: 14 (+2) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 10 (-)
Skills: Concentration 8 (+10)
Knowledge: Physics 4 (+6)
Navigate 4 (+6)
Notice 4 (+6)
Pilot 4 (+8)
Profession: Navy Officer 4 (+6)
Survival 4 (+6)
Feats: Accurate Attack
Benefit: Military Rank 3
Improved Initiative 1
Precise Shot 2
Ultimate Effort: Aim
Powers: Cosmic Energy Control 12 [Penetrating, Autofire]
  • AP: Blast 12 [Line Area (General), Penetrating]
  • AP: Blast 12 [Cylinder Area (General), Penetrating]
  • AP: Create Object 12 [Progression Object Size 4, Selective, Stationary, Tether, Movable]
  • AP: Energy Aura 12
  • AP: Snare 12 [Backlash, Regenerating]
Flight 8 [2500 mph, 22000 ft./rnd]
Force Field 12
Immunity 9 [Life Support]
Combat: Attack +12 [Blast +12, Energy Aura +12, Snare +12], Defense +12, Init +8
Saves: Toughness +0/+12, Fortitude +5, Reflex +4, Will +7
Description: Tall and willowy with a dancer’s build, Istar has short blonde hair and cool violet eyes. She has an eye for style and the finer things in life, but she rarely gets to exercise her tastes as a Navy officer. Normally found in the white and blue uniform of a commander, she will occasionally dons a white and black form-fitting jumpsuit when called into action. While she can survive unharmed in the vacuum of space, she wears a helmet and environmentally sealed suit in order to use a commlink and remain in touch with her ship. When defending herself, Istar wreathes her frame in coils of crackling multicolored energy that not only protect her from attack, but can also be directed to attack or generate enough heat to wound anyone closing with her. Istar can use the energy coils to ensnare a target, unravel into objects or shapes which she can tow, move around, or leave hanging in mid-air, or to create devastating attacks. Istar can rapidly hurl swirls of energy which can burn through nearly any substance, unwind a coil of light to a length of three hundred feet, or cause a swirling column of crackling energy to appear around and through a target. Istar can also fly under her own power, leaving a swirling trail of multicolored lights behind her as she sails through air or space.

Under the Hood
When going on space adventures, a mini-Green Lantern or mini-Silver Surfer build is highly recommended. The colors that she generates when powered up are meant to be reminiscent of the unusual color from HP Lovecraft's "The Colour Out of Space." Undescribable and alien, with the subtle suggestion that whatever it is, it might not be safe for human beings to use. Like, if I every actually used her in a game, she would start to become more alien and otherworldly in outlook as the campaign progressed. Possibly turning and becoming a threat to the team.

Yojimbo

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: The Covenant [Covenant Navy; CNS 989 Banshee, CNS Discovery]

Post by Yojimbo » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:05 pm

Davies wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:01 pm
Yojimbo wrote:
Yeah. I was thinking that as I posted it, actually, since the fighter I posted right before it is armed with Blast 14 cannons. I went ahead and submitted it anyway, though.

What do you think, Blast 18 with Penetrating, maybe?

Davies

Post by Davies » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:09 pm

Yojimbo wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:05 pm
Davies wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:01 pm
Yojimbo wrote:
Yeah. I was thinking that as I posted it, actually, since the fighter I posted right before it is armed with Blast 14 cannons. I went ahead and submitted it anyway, though.

What do you think, Blast 18 with Penetrating, maybe?
The Yamato's Wave Motion Gun is an X damage weapon, as it has destroyed planets. If this is not that powerful, Blast 18 Penetrating sounds fine.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:15 pm

Davies wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:09 pm
The Yamato's Wave Motion Gun is an X damage weapon, as it has destroyed planets. If this is not that powerful, Blast 18 Penetrating sounds fine.
Yeah, no, it's not that big a deal. I remember that thing being pretty damn tough (and like all cartoons, the crew only ever used it at the very end of an episode), but I didn't recall that it blew up planet.

Davies

Post by Davies » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:02 am

Yojimbo wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Davies wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:09 pm
Yeah, no, it's not that big a deal. I remember that thing being pretty damn tough (and like all cartoons, the crew only ever used it at the very end of an episode), but I didn't recall that it blew up planet.
Double checked, and, yeah, it was only a continent-sized planetoid. Still.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: The Covenant [Covenant Navy; Lieutenant Gilgamesh Ekur, Doctor Sara Ninhursk]

Post by Yojimbo » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:22 am

Lieutenant Gilgamesh Ekur
The planet Ur-Thekla is a high gravity planet in the Inner Core. It is one of the wealthiest planets in the galaxy, as the super-dense core of the world is entirely made of ur-inos, the ore from which inoson, the strongest metal in the Covenant, is derived. The gravity on the planet is much too high for normal humans, so the Mithgard Mining Corp. devised a full bodysuit that would allow human beings to operate in Ur-Thekla’s gravity. Of course, Ur-Thekla was a prize desired by many, and in the early years of the colony/mining concern, it was attacked and conquered by a fleet of Zerkoth, a race of fungal aliens who also make use of ur-inos. At first the Zerkoth were content to enslave the miners, but then they began to get hungry. The miners survived and defeated the Zerkoth by weaponizing their Mithgard mining uniforms. Over the centuries since that battle, as more and more of Ur-Thekla’s core has been mined, the mining suits have been perfected and advanced and better built.

Young Gilgamesh Ekur was born into a mining family on Ur-Thekla, but passed on the chance to become a miner and instead joined the Covenant Navy. He was allowed to bring his Singularity Suit with him when he left Ur-Thekla, and his familiarity with the device has made him the equal of an entire squad of marines. The Covenant Navy has commissioned ten thousand Singularity Suits from the Mithgard Mining Corp, and should be fielding a platoon of troops armed with the suits within the next six months.

In the meantime, Ekur has recently made lieutenant and been transferred to the Discovery. He’s in command of the marines on board the ship, which means he’s the first one on the ground in any difficult situations. It is a role that Ekur relishes. He’s a born warrior, and never happier than when he’s in the thick of battle.
Abilities: STR: 14/38 (+2/+14) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: 26 (+8) INT: 10 (-) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 10 (-)
Skills: Climb 4 (+6)
Knowledge: Physical Science 4
Notice 8 (+10)
Profession: Navy Officer 4 (+6)
Swim 4 (+6)
Feats: All-Out Attack
Benefit: Military Rank 3
Diehard
Grappling Block
Improved Block 1
Improved Grab
Improved Grapple
Improved Initiative 1
Improved Pin
Last Stand
Luck 1
Move-By Action
Power Attack
Quick Change
Ultimate Effort: Toughness Save
Withstand Damage
Powers: Device 20: Mithgard Singularity Suit
Density 12 [+24 STR, Protection 6 (Impervious), Immovable 4, Super-Strength 4]
Gravity Control 12 [Shapeable Area (General)]
  • AP: Blast 12 [Line Area]
  • AP: Flight 10 [10000 mph, 88000 ft./rnd]
  • AP: Time Control 5 [Range: 50 ft., +20 Init, Quickness 5, Speed 5, Rapid Attack (25 ft.)]
  • AP: Time Stop 5
Impervious Toughness 8
Super-Strength 6 [Heavy Load 2.5k tons; Bracing, Countering Punch, Groundstrike, Shockwave]
Combat: Attack +10 [Unarmed +14, Blast +12, Time Stop +5], Defense +10, Init +6
Saves: Toughness +8/+14, Fortitude +8, Reflex +6, Will +7
Description: Tall, broad shouldered and heavily muscled, Ekur’s natural form is slightly denser than human norm, a result of growing up in Ur-Thekla’s gravity well. He is naturally resistant to damage and disease, although he’s not appreciably stronger without his suit. With dark hair, dark eyes, and bronze skin, Ekur is more striking than good looking, and his natural taciturn nature doesn’t allow him to make friends easily. Still, the people under his command respect him greatly. Armed with the Singularity Suit, Ekur is a dynamo on the battlefield. With the suit, he can alter his base density by a factor of twelve, boosting his strength and durability (as well as his weight). The suit also multiplies his lifting strength considerably, whether he’s at full density or not, offers basic protection, and is also equipped with a gravimetric generator. The grav generator allows Ekur to control the local gravity, making it stronger or weaker, to channel the grav energy into a destructive wave, to allow Ekur to fly at supersonic speeds, or to increase the local gravity to such an extent that, as with a black hole, Ekur can affect time itself. He can slow time in a localized area, allowing him to boost his own speed and reaction time, or completely stop local time for a short period. Glowing blue-white concentric rings usually accompany the activation of the suit’s abilities.

Under the Hood
I figured the crew needed a strong guy. I was also looking into black holes at the time, and learning about what gravity does at the extremes, how it can actually affect the flow of time. That seemed like an interesting thing to incorporate into the build and make Ekur more than just a "strong guy."

This build was also where I came up with inoson for the first time. I was looking for a super-dense metal to build starships out of and pretty much function as the Adamantium and/or Promethium for the setting. I couldn't come up with a decent name for it, though, so I went looking for ideas. "Inoson" came from E.E. "Doc" Smith's Lensman series. I've never read it, but I believe the metal functions pretty much as Smith's adamantium, so it was pretty much perfect.