The Multiverse in My Head: Los Dorados [The Skull Gang]

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Yojimbo

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: Atomic Rampage!

Post by Yojimbo » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:41 am

MacynSnow wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:56 am
I always loved the Pulp era stuff(you can thank Harrison Ford&Indiana Jones for that :D ),especially the Heroic Expedition type stories.Personal preference was always Mu Island,mostly due to the lemurians & their Culture...
Does HEX use Lemurians? I've flipped through the main book but never really read it, but I have to plead convergent evolution if my stuff is similar to theirs.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:14 pm

Yojimbo wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:41 am
MacynSnow wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:56 am
I always loved the Pulp era stuff(you can thank Harrison Ford&Indiana Jones for that :D ),especially the Heroic Expedition type stories.Personal preference was always Mu Island,mostly due to the lemurians & their Culture...
Does HEX use Lemurians? I've flipped through the main book but never really read it, but I have to plead convergent evolution if my stuff is similar to theirs.
Very briefly,but i did a lot of Book research on the Culture outside of HEX(i read anything that has a "Pulpy" feel to it as a matter of habit) and loved how they wrer expanded on... :)

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:15 am

Dire Bats
The caves and dark places of Mu Island are home to a race of gigantic bats. There are no pterosaurs on the island, their niche instead occupied by these enormous mammals, who could only have been created through Lemurian bio-wizardry.

The dire bats roost in enormous numbers within the deep caverns inside Mu’s mountains. They are entirely nocturnal, hunting insects and other small prey at night. They do not often attack humans, but as they are roughly the size of a lion or tiger, the danger of assault by a dire bat does exist. The ancient Lemurians apparently used dire bats as mounts, and the Shark Priest and his Shark Men still occasionally make use of them as such.
PL: 8
Abilities: STR: 20 (+5) DEX: 16 (+3) CON: 22 (+6) INT: 4 (-3) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 4 (-3)
Skills: Notice 4 (+6)
Stealth 8 (+7)
Survival 4 (+6)
Feats: Accurate Attack
Improved Initiative 1
Move-by Action
Powers: Flight 3 [50 mph, 440 ft./rnd]
Growth 4 [+8 STR, +4 CON, +1 size category; Innate, Permanent]
Sonic Control 8
Strike 2 [Mighty]
Super-Senses 4 [Scent, Sonar]
Combat: Attack +6 [Sonic Control DC 18, Strike DC 22, Unarmed DC 20], Defense +6, Init +7
Saves: Toughness +6, Fortitude +9, Reflex +7, Will +6
Description: Dire bats are enormous, powerfully built creatures with blunt nosed faces, gigantic and highly sensitive ears, and wide snouts brimming with large, sharp teeth. Like normal bats, the dire variety uses sonar to navigate at night and to hunt prey. Like normal bats, dire bats also stun their prey with a burst of sonar, but given their size, this means even humans are vulnerable to the sonic blast. Dire bats are smarter than dinosaurs and strong enough to hold a human aloft on their backs even in flight, two qualities that make them trainable as mounts. None but the Lemurians themselves have sussed out the method by which to train them, though.

Under the Hood
One thing I liked about Skull Island was the sheer weirdness to the place and the diversity of the animal inhabitants. I didn't want to confine myself to just the Age of Reptiles, so I went with giant bats over the more ubiquitous pterosaurs. Not that these animals ever existed (although bats have gotten pretty big), but that's part of the fun of a superhero setting.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:19 am

Duckbill
Several sub-species of hadrosaurs inhabit the island. They are all herbivorous, but lack the aggression of the ceratopsians or the sheer bulk of the sauropods. They also generally gather together in small, matriarchal clan groups rather than large herds. This makes them the favored prey species for both the carnosaurs and the raptors. Presumably, the Lemurians used the duckbill dinosaurs primarily for their meat as well.
PL: 7
Abilities: STR: 24 (+7) DEX: 10 (-) CON: 24 (+7) INT: 2 (-4) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 4 (-3)
Survival 4 (+6)
Feats: Defensive Attack
Iron Stomach
Powers: Growth 6 [+12 STR, +6 CON, +1 size category; Innate, Permanent]
Speed 2 [25 mph, 220 ft./rnd]
Super-Senses 3 [Extended Hearing 1, Low-Light Vision, Scent]
Combat: Attack +6 [Unarmed DC 22], Defense +6, Init +0
Saves: Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Reflex +4, Will +6
Description: The duckbills are two-legged herbivores with powerful legs and thick tails. Their distinctive looks comes from the wide, flat snout that resembles the bill of a duck. However, unlike birds, the hadrosaurs mouths are filled with hundreds of teeth designed to cut and mash hard, tough fibrous material. The various sub-species of duckbill sport a variety of crests, each more elaborate than the last, designed primarily for display but also giving their sense of hearing a boost. The hadrosaurs are brightly colored, almost like tropical birds, and they are given to elaborate mating displays. They are more likely to flee when attacked than to fight back.

Under the Hood
To be honest, I have no idea why I wanted hadrosaurs in my Land of the Lost. I guess I wanted a variety of plant-eaters for the meat-eaters to subsist upon. These are just background animals and probably don't need stats, but then that is the problem with being a compulsive builder of characters. Once you start, you can't really stop.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Atomic Rampage!

Post by Yojimbo » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:09 am

Guardian Apes
Ancient Lemurian bio-wizards created a species of warrior apes, designed and bred specifically as a counter to the dinosaurs used as war-beasts and biological weapons. Smart, strong, and quick, the guardian apes could hold their own even against the carnosaurs. With Lemurian civilization in ruin, however, the guardian apes no longer have much purpose. They persist in significant numbers around the island, however, living much as modern gorillas do, albeit much larger. Some remnant of their genetic programming remains, however, and guardians apes have occasionally come to the rescue of humans facing duress from dinosaurs, in the way that dolphins sometimes rescue drowning sailors.
PL: 11
Abilities: STR: 36 (+11) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: 30 (+10) INT: 6 (-2) WIS: 14 (-) CHR: 6 (-2)
Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+6)
Climb 8 (+10)
Intimidate 4 (+6)
Notice 4 (+7)
Survival 4 (+7)
Feats: All-Out Attack
Crushing Pin
Diehard
Improved Grab
Improved Grapple
Improved Initiative 1
Improved Pin
Interpose
Power Attack
Rapid Healing
Powers: Features 1 [Prehensile Feat]
Growth 8 [+16 STR, +8 CON, +2 size categories; Innate, Permanent]
Impervious Toughness 8
Protection 3
Speed 2 [25 mph, 220 ft./rnd]
Super-Senses 2 [Low-light Vision, Scent]
Super-Strength 4 [Heavy Load 117.8 tons]
Combat: Attack +8 [Unarmed DC 25, Grapple +32], Defense +8, Init +6
Saves: Toughness +13, Fortitude +12, Reflex +6, Will +7
Description: Gigantic gorillas, standing nearly twenty feet tall when on two legs, the guardian apes superficially resemble their smaller cousins. They have keen senses of smell and vision and move primarily on four limbs, walking on their knuckles. Agile and strong, they are much too large to climb trees, but they have great facility clambering over Lemurian ruins and rocky cliffs. The ancient Lemurians also coded in a frightening resiliency and supernormal strength. The guardian apes possess thick bones and a powerful musculature far in excess of simply scaling up a normal gorilla. They can shrug off attacks that would level a truck and the average ape can lift in excess of a hundred tons.

Under the Hood
It was while watching the Peter Jackson version of King Kong that started me thinking about what would eventually become Mu Island. All those weird ruins, the strange animals, the bones of Kong's relatives scattered around his mountain lair. It got me thinking about how Skull Island came to be and who or what filled it with all that cool stuff. A lot of those ideas percolated into what became my version of Lemuria and the Lemurians, as kind of experts at manipulating life and creating monsters and so on.

So Mu Island ends up having giant apes running around on it. In keeping with King Kong's characterization, they can be a threat, but they can also be an ally. There are few things cooler than a giant ape beating all hell out of a dinosaur, after all.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:18 am

Raptor
Two-legged carnivorous dinosaurs, the raptors are roughly human sized. What they lack in intimidating mass, they make up for in speed and cunning. The raptors are pack hunters, ruled by a matriarch, and they use ambushes and co-operative behaviors to trap prey. Their role in Lemurian society is not well understood. It is theorized that they were created as pets or guard animals by a single person or clan, and proved hardy enough following the collapse of Lemurian civilization to propagate.

Raptors hunt the jungles of Mu Island, mostly preying on vermin, small lizards and mammals, and occasionally taking a young triceratops. They will attack humans readily and ferociously.
PL: 8
Abilities: STR: 14 (+2) DEX: 16 (+3) CON: 14 (+2) INT: 2 (-4) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 4 (-3)
Stealth 4 (+7)
Survival 4 (+6)
Feats: Defensive Roll 3
Improved Critical 2 [Strike]
Improved Initiative 1
Sneak Attack 1
Sweeping Strike
Teamwork 1
Powers: Blending 1 [Total Concealment from normal vision; Limited (Foliage), Passive]
Leaping 1 [Running Jump: 24 ft., Standing Jump: 12 ft., High Jump: 6 ft.]
Protection 2
Speed 1 [10 mph, 88 ft./rnd]
Strike 3 [Mighty]
Super-Senses 2 [Low-Light Vision, Scent]
Combat: Attack +8 [Strike DC 20 (18-20), Unarmed DC 17], Defense +8, Init +4
Saves: Toughness +4/+7, Fortitude +4, Reflex +7, Will +6
Description: Raptors are lightly built, two legged dinosaurs that are roughly the size of an adult human being. They are covered in a thick layer of downy feathers, primarily green in color with a wavy black pattern overlaid, which allow raptors to camouflage themselves quite effectively in Mu Island’s jungle environment. Their power legs allow them to spring and pounce remarkable distances or run as fast as an Olympic sprinter for short periods of time. Raptor mouths are filled with sharp, tearing teeth, but their most deadly weapon is the huge sickle claw worn on each foot. Teeth and foreclaws are used to capture and pin prey, but the large claw on the foot is the killing weapon, typically used to disembowel prey. Packs usually contain anywhere from 3-10 individuals.

Under the Hood
Smaller predators don't pack the punch of the big carnosaurs, but they offer different kind of threats. You might think ducking into those ruins or climbing inside that hollow log will hide your from the Tyrannosaurid that's after you, but they raptors are small enough to get in there and come after you. They make good ambush predators, too, and of course they hunt in groups, so even a small number of them can give a couple superheroes a hard time, especially if you don't make them minions.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:08 am

Sauropod
The sauropods are numerous on Mu Island, but their massive size and dietary needs keep their numbers down considerably. They migrate around the island, denuding trees and wallowing in marshes to keep cool. The Lemurians apparently bred sauropods for their meat. The predators on the island actively hunt them, but are rarely successful against full-grown animals.
PL: 11
Abilities: STR: 34 (+12) DEX: 10 (-) CON: 32 (+11) INT: 2 (-4) WIS: 12 (+1) CHR: 4 (-3)
Skills: Notice 4 (+5)
Survival 4 (+5)
Feats: Diehard
Power Attack
Withstand Damage
Powers: Growth 12 [+24 STR, +12 CON, +3 size categories; Innate, Permanent]
“Long Neck and Tail” Elongation 5 [Innate, Permanent]
Speed 1 [10 mph, 88 ft./rnd]
Super-Senses 2 [Low-Light Vision, Scent]
“Whip Tail” Strike 3 [Mighty]
Combat: Attack +6 [Strike DC 30, Unarmed DC 27], Defense +6, Init +0
Saves: Toughness +11, Fortitude +13, Reflex +4, Will +4
Description: Several species of sauropod inhabit the island. Most resemble the barrel-like Apatosaurus or the stoutly built Brachiosaurus. At least one species appears to possess a fleshy, powerful trunk. They are the largest dinosaurs on the island, thick bodied with long necks and tails. Sheer mass keeps most predators at bay, but sauropods can use their tails for defense when pressed, and instinctively position themselves with tail towards aggression in order to protect their small heads and long necks. Sauropods spend about 18 hours of any day simply eating. This fact, combined with the astonishing number of the animals encountered on the island, has led to the conjecture that Mu Island is actually much larger than it appears, although how that could possibly be still stymies researchers.

Under the Hood
Populating and island with giant animals is a silly thing to do - I went ahead anyway - so I wanted to keep the total number of dinosaur species down to something semi-plausible, so I tried to stick to just the general iconic categories. That's why armored dinosaurs got the shaft. Who do you pick there, stegosaurs or ankylosaurs? But sauropods were an easy bet, even though due to their sheer size even by thunder lizard status, they would be the least likely to survive on an island with limited resources. When you need tons of vegetation on a daily basis, you're going to eat yourself out of house and home pretty quickly. I could have gone with dwarf variants like Europasaurus, but I wanted Mu Island to have substantial sauropods. Does it make sense? No, but this is superheroes. It doesn't have to make sense. It just has to be cool.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:14 am

Thunder Guard
The Thunder Guard were massive beings, heavily modified through Lemurian bio wizardry into titanic warriors who resemble the dinosaurs that walked through the Lemurian city streets. They served as the generals, royal bodyguards, and defenders of the Lemurian civilization. All Thunder Guard were volunteers, and went through a lengthy transformation process, followed by acclimatization and training in the uses of their new bodies and powers. Cruel, cold-blooded, and ruthless, the Thunder Guards were not chosen for their ingenuity, leadership abilities, or imagination. Too much of those in the unstoppable body of a Thunder Guard could have caused difficulties for the ruling elite. The Thunder Guards were trained to be loyal without question, to carry out their orders to the letter.

None of them have so far appeared on Mu Island, but the land has not yet given up all its secrets. It is all too possible that one or more of these creatures lies somewhere within the ruins, sleeping for thousands of years, and ready to awake.
PL: 12
Abilities: STR: 34 (+12) DEX: 10 (-) CON: 34 (+12) INT: 10 (-) WIS: 10 (-) CHR: 10 (-)
Skills: Handle Animal 8
Intimidate 8 (+10)
Notice 8
Survival 8
Attack Specialization [Unarmed Attack]
Improved Grab
Improved Pin
Power Attack
Takedown Attack 2
Powers: Adaptation 4
Additional Limbs 1 [Improved Grapple]
Blast 12 [Area (Cone); Distracting]
Flight 3 [50 mph/440 ft./rnd; Power Loss: Wings Bound]
Growth 4 [Innate, Permanent]
Impervious Toughness 8
Super-Strength 8 [Heavy Load 716.8 tons]
Combat: Attack +8 [Blast +12], Unarmed +10 [Unarmed +12], Defense +8, Init +0
Saves: Toughness +12, Fortitude +12, Reflex +6, Will +6
Description: The average Thunder Guard was about ten feet tall, heavily muscled, and scaled like a reptile. They were more heavily armored on their chests, upper legs, and forearms. Large horns curled from the back of their malformed skulls, and sharp teeth filled their extended jaws. Enormous wings erupted from their backs, stretching like pterosaur’s, enabled them to lift into the air and attack from above. They could breathe fire in a cone that extends 120 feet from their jaws, but it took concentration to do so. They looked as much like bioengineered dinosaur humanoids as they did dragons that walk on two legs. Individuals possessed varied coloring, including tattoos and tribal scarring, and wore no particular uniform, as their look was quite distinctive.

Under the Hood
These guys are active in Hyperborea, where the Lemurian civilization is still extant. I like the idea of mutated dinosaur/dragon men, so I included them as existing on Mu Island, albeit in hibernation. Once the Shark Priest unlocks some of these guys (or figures out how to make them himself), humanity's days on the island are numbered. They are meant to be kind of overpowered and scary dudes who could give superheroes a seriously hard time, but not be individual enough to require much in the way of personality or description. High-end mooks, I guess, although the one time I did get to use one in play, I did not make use of the minion rules and he was a bit of a hassle - mostly because none of the player characters in the encounter could fly, so the Thunder Guard's mobility was a huge asset.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:19 am

Vermin
Reptiles and mammals are not the only over-sized animals on Mu Island. There are about a dozen different insect species that have grown to immense proportions. Most of them dwell in the dark and remote parts of the island, burrowing into the earth and creating colonies, or lairing within deep, shadowy crevasses and caves. Many of the insects subsist on carrion, cleaning up the bodies of deceased dinosaurs and other animals. Others are active hunters, and their prey may include humans.
PL: 7
Abilities: STR: 18 (+4) DEX: 12 (+1) CON: 18 (+4) INT: 2 (-4) WIS: 12 (+1) CHR: 2 (-4)
Skills: Intimidate 8
Notice 4 (+5)
Survival 4 (+5)
Powers: Additional Limbs 3 [5 Extra Limbs, +3 to Grapple: Improved Grapple]
Protection 2
Super-Senses 5 [Radius Vision, Tremorsense, Ultravision]

• Flight 2 [25 mph, 220 ft./rnd]
• Paralyze 6
• Strike 3 [Mighty]
• Super-Strength 5 [Heavy Load: 4.8 tons]
Combat: Attack +6 [Paralyze DC 16, Strike DC 22, Unarmed DC 19], Defense +6, Init +1
Saves: Toughness +6, Fortitude +6, Reflex +, Will +4
Description: The vermin look identical to their smaller relatives, albeit massive in size. The giant insects of Mu Island can be up to six or seven feet in length. Their exoskeletons provide some measure of protection from attack, and their antennae provide them with enhanced sensory abilities, allowing them to sense movement. Their eyes can see in the ultraviolet spectrum, and because of the placement of the eyes insects can see all around them in any direction. Some species of vermin, like huge beetles or wasps, have wings that allow them to fly at decent speed despite their size and weight. Wasps also come equipped with stingers, as large and sharp as a spear head. Centipedes possess special limbs with stingers which can stun and paralyze prey, which they eat alive. Ants possess phenomenal strength in addition to crushing jaws, and they also fight in coordinated units.

Under the Hood
The mythical "lost scene" from the original King Kong and the pure nightmare fuel scene from Jackson's version both featured giant insects, and I have a bit of a bug phobia myself, so I had to fit them on to Mu Island. I didn't care enough to individualize them, though. Anything that is bullet-pointed is an optional ability that a giant insect may or may not have, although some may go together in a particular nightmarish combination. Beetles have flight and ants have super-strength, for example, while wasps have flight and strike. I hope that makes sense.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:20 am

That's it for Mu Island, at least for now. The kaiju are coming next.

I saw Thor: Ragnarok yesterday and it is glorious.

Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:23 am

Good stuff, Yojimbo. Keep it up. Like the Mu Island stuff.

Going to see Thor on Tuesday. $5 Tuesday at a theater here since I'm a cheap arse. Really looking forward to it.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:24 pm

Thorpocalypse wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:23 am
Good stuff, Yojimbo. Keep it up. Like the Mu Island stuff.
Thank you! I appreciate it.
Going to see Thor on Tuesday. $5 Tuesday at a theater here since I'm a cheap arse. Really looking forward to it.
I took the day off Friday and caught the matinee myself. It was an attempt to avoid the crowd (didn't work) and not break the bank (did work).

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Atomic Rampage!: Kaiju

Post by Yojimbo » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:59 pm

Ape King
The gigantic gorilla, dubbed “Ape King” by the press, first appeared five years ago. Originally shot into space by NASA some forty years ago, testing the survivability of animals in space before sending humans into the vacuum. The gorilla, nicknamed Goliath, and his capsule, disappeared and was believed lost. But five years ago, the capsule crashed to Earth, landing in Kansas. Out of the wreckage crawled the ape, knocking heavy metal plates aside as he began to rapidly grow in size, emitting a strange blue glow as he did. When the glow faded, the ape stood over sixty feet tall, an enormous, angry, and violent animal that then proceeded to lay waste to much of Topeka. The army was able to drive the animal off, but they could not kill it. He wanders the North American continent now, seeking solitude and peace, but wherever he goes, destruction follows.
PL: 18
Abilities: STR: 42 (+16) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: 34 (+12) INT: 6 (-2) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 6 (-2)
Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+10)
Escape Artist 4 (+6)
Handle Animal 12 (+10)
Intimidate 8 (+12)
Notice 8 (+10)
Survival 4 (+6)
Animal Empathy
Attack Specialization: Unarmed
Diehard
Endurance 1
Favored Environment: Jungle
Improved Grab
Improved Grapple
Improved Initiative 1
Improved Overrun
Improved Pin
Move-By Action
Power Attack
Takedown Attack 2
Track
Powers: Growth 16 [Innate, Permanent]
Protection 6 [Impervious]
Super-Movement 2 (Swinging, Wall-Crawling 1)
Super-Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Scent)
Super-Strength 5 (Heavy Load 471 tons; Groundstrike, Shockwave, Super-Breath, Thunderclap)
Combat: Attack +6, Unarmed +8 [Unarmed +16], Defense +6, Init +6
Saves: Toughness +18, Fortitude +12, Reflex +8, Will +8
Description: Enormous and intimidating, Ape King is about sixty feet tall, but he rarely stands up to his full height, preferring instead to move about on all fours. In all respects, he resembles an adult silverback highland gorilla, although he doesn’t appear to have aged since his capsule disappeared. He is also supremely strong and durable, very difficult to harm and capable of a number of tricks using his supernatural strength.

Under the Hood
I could go crazy with kaiju and do a full Ultraman-style catalogue of them, but I have tried to keep their numbers to a manageable, Mole Man sized amount. They're not quite as big as Godzilla, either, although a PL 18, 6o foot tall gorilla is nothing to sneeze at. Ape King falls more into the Titano category than King Kong category, Kryptonite vision aside, but he's still a one-ape wrecking crew who should give even a team of superheroes a decent challenge. He's not going to hit all the time, but when he does, he packs a whallop, and he should be able to shrug off all but the most powerful attacks.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Atomic Rampage!:Kaiju

Post by Yojimbo » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:07 pm

Hydra
The beast labeled Hydra crawled out of the Pacific Ocean for the first time twenty years ago, and has periodically attacked coastal and island population centers across the ocean since. It is apparently a mindless creature, filled with the consuming aggression common to all kaiju, and although it kills to feed, it also kills out of spite. San Francisco, Honolulu, Tokyo, and cities in between have all weathered the attacks of the Hydra. It has been beaten back on a few occasions, but always retreats to lick its wounds and return. One of the most dangerous and deadly of the kaiju that bedevil the Earth, the Hydra is well known, and a sighting is enough to evacuate entire cities.
PL:
Abilities: STR: 34 (+12) DEX: 18 (+4) CON: 18 (+4) INT: 8 (-1) WIS: 10 (-) CHR: 8 (-1)
Skills: Intimidate 8 (+11)
Notice 8
Survival 8
Swim 4 (+8)
Diehard
Endurance 2
Fearless
Move-By Action
Power Attack
Rage 1
Powers: Additional Limbs 1 [Improved Grapple]
Blast 12 [Area, Line]
Duplication 10 [Limited (Head Only), Progression (5 Duplicates)]
Flight 4 [100 mph/880 ft rnd; Power Loss (Wings Bound)]
Growth 8 [Permanent]
Immunity 6 [Damage: Electricity, Suffocation: Drowning]
Regeneration 12 [Bruised 3 (1/round/without rest), Disabled 3 (1/20 minutes), Injured 3 (1/minute), Staggered 3 (1/minute)]
Super-Senses 4 [Darkvision, Infravision, Ultravision]
Speed 4 [100 mph/ 880 ft. rnd]
Super-Strength 6 [Heavy Load: 358.6 tons]
Swimming 6 [100 mph/880 ft. rnd]
Combat: Attack +8 [Unarmed +12, Blast +12], Defense +8, Init +4
Saves: Toughness +14, Fortitude +9, Reflex +8, Will +8
Description: A gigantic reptilian creature roughly thirty feet long, Hydra is vaguely humanoid, comfortable on two legs or four. He is covered in black, green, and blue scales, and his many eyes are electric blue and capable of seeing in many spectrums. Enormous wings erupt from the creature’s back, and a long spiked tail extends from its rear. On four legs, the beast moves rapidly, as rapidly as he can fly, or as rapidly as the tail can propel him through water. From the chest extend five long necks, each topped by a mighty horned and frilled head. Five jaws filled with enormous, sharp teeth and each capable of breathing a line of lightning 300 feet long.

Under the Hood
Sort of a King Ghidorah type but not really, Hydra is big but not terrifyingly so. More of a dragon than a full fledged kaiju, but I think dragons are on the kaiju scale, even if they're on the low end of it generally. Hydra is a threat on land, at sea, or in the air, and its multiple heads mean it can take multiple actions, something that makes it extraordinarily deadly for a single creature. The saving grace of most superhero vs. kaiju battles is that the superheroes get to bring a team, have more actions and options, and the kaiju can get worn down even though it may have a devastating attack and deep defenses, because it only gets to act once per round. Hydra can do a bit more than that, biting and/or spitting lightning bolts five times a round, and heroes have got to be willing to do lethal damage to slow it down at all thanks to its Regeneration.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:00 am

Froghemoth
The giant humanoid frog monster called Froghemoth crawled out of the Florida Everglades a few years ago. Toxic waste devastated a section of the wetlands, the work of a company called Globex. Most of the animals in that twenty four square miles of swamp died out, but a few of them mutated into monstrous forms. The greatest of these was the Froghemoth, and after he had fed on the others, he moved out of the swamps and started to attack Florida towns and cities. He was eventually driven off, escaping back into the Everglades. Periodically the Froghemoth comes out to play, but has not been decisively defeated.
PL: 18
Abilities: STR: 34 (+12) DEX: 20 (+5) CON: 34 (+12) INT: 4 (-3) WIS: 10 (-) CHR: 4 (-3)
Skills: Climb 8 (+12)
Intimidate 8 (+9)
Notice 8
Survival 8
Feats: Blind-Fight
Diehard
Environmental Adaptation: Underwater
Improved Initiative 1
Improved Overrun
Instant Up, Move-By Action
Power Attack
Takedown Attack 2
Ultimate Save: Toughness
Powers: Growth 12 [Permanent]
Immunity 9 [Critical Hits, Interaction Skills, Poison, Suffocation: Drowning]
Leaping 4 [Running Jump: 550 ft., Standing Jump: 275 ft., High Jump: 137 ft.]
Protection 6 [Impervious]
Snare 10 [Engulf, Tether (1000 ft.)]
Super-Strength 6 [Heavy Load: 358.6 tons; Super-Breath]
Swimming 7 [250 mph/2200 ft. rnd]
Combat: Attack +8 [Unarmed +12, Snare +10], Defense +8, Init +9
Saves: Toughness +18, Fortitude +12, Reflex +8, Will +6
Description: Forty feet of amphibian fury, the Froghemoth looks like a humanoid frog of immense size. He is a toxic green in color, with yellow and black markings. He can leap vast distances, swim at astonishing speeds, and expel a blast of air capable of knocking over a car. But most devastatingly, his tongue can lash out to a distance of 1000 feet, wrap itself around prey, and snap back into his mouth. He’s big enough that human-sized targets fit easily between his snapping jaws.

Under the Hood
The Froghemoth, of course, is a D&D monster from the classic module "Expedition to the Barrier Peaks." This guy doesn't resemble it much, but I've always loved the name. When I started to build kaiju, I knew I had to include a giant frog.

Frogs are goofy looking animals, and the most famous frog in the world is a song & dance man, but frogs themselves can be pretty scary. A bullfrog will eat anything that can fit in its mouth, which can include mice if the frog is big enough. And bullfrogs can be pretty big. And like spiders and big cats, every frog is a predator, hunting down smaller animals to eat them. When the frog in question is a kaiju, well, meat's back on the menu, boys.