The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Red Riding Hood, Snow White]

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: Atomic Rampage!

Post by Jabroniville » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:43 am

Neat ideas for the others. I like the water-guy being a duplicator to keep him apart.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:31 am

I'd personally love to have a character for this setting,as you just wet my appetite for more........ :)

catsi563

Post by catsi563 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:18 pm

I have to admit I love the Dichotomy of the powers compared to the people who wield them.

the Geologist gaining Air powers

the petite graceful ballerina becoming a massive earth mover

the cool headed plant lover gains fire power

and the air mover gets water powers

too neat :D
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:33 pm

Jabroniville wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:43 am
Neat ideas for the others. I like the water-guy being a duplicator to keep him apart.
Thanks. I try to vary things to avoid completely copying.
MacynSnow wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:31 am
I'd personally love to have a character for this setting,as you just wet my appetite for more........ :)
Nothing stopping you - I'm sharing this stuff so hopefully somebody can get some use out of it. 2E isn't difficult to convert into 3E, I believe.
catsi563 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:18 pm
I have to admit I love the Dichotomy of the powers compared to the people who wield them.

the Geologist gaining Air powers

the petite graceful ballerina becoming a massive earth mover

the cool headed plant lover gains fire power

and the air mover gets water powers

too neat :D
Thanks. Gotta mix things up to keep them from being boring. And what are the chances that these cosmonauts would step on the appropriate spot to get their thematically appropriate design? Life is more interesting when its unexpected.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Atomic Rampage!

Post by Yojimbo » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:06 am

Gloriana, Hermione Summerisle
American grad student Hermione Summerisle, was in England, working on her thesis about Spenser’s The Faerie Queen when she discovered an ancient tome in the recesses of the Oxford library. She stole the book, taking it back to her tiny flat with her, and began trying to decipher the strange writing. She became obsessed with the new book, neglecting her legitimate studies, and was just about to fail out of the grad program and be sent back to America when she had a breakthrough. Reading a passage from the ancient book triggered some sort of spell. In a burst of light, Hermione was transformed into a being of pure light. No longer able to lift the book or turn the pages, she is trapped in her energy form. Hermione went a little mad, and wreaked havoc across the town of Oxford, slaughtering several of her professors and much of the library staff. Her rage spent, she flew off, in search of something or someone who can return her lost humanity.
PL: 14
Abilities: STR: 10 (-) DEX: 16 (+3) CON: 20 (+5) INT: 16 (+3) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 18 (+4)
Skills: Bluff 4 (+8)
Concentration 16 (+18)
Intimidate 8 (+12)
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 4 (+7)
Knowledge: Art 8 (+11)
Knowledge: History 8 (+11)
Knowledge: Theology & Philosophy 8 (+11)
Notice 8 (+10)
Perform: Oratory 8 (+12)
Sense Motive 4 (+6)
Feats: Accurate Attack
Attractive 2
Evasion 2
Fascinate [Perform]
Improved Aim
Power Attack
Precise Shot 2
Ranged Pin
Powers: Create Object 12 [Movable, Progression (Object Size): 4 (12x100’ cubes), Stationary, Tether]
Dazzle 10 [Visual; Duration 2 (Sustained), Range (Touch), Aura, Continuous]
Flight 6 [500 mph, 4400 ft./rnd]
Force Field 12 [Impervious]
Immunity 15 [Aging, Dazzle Effects, Life Support]
Insubstantial 3 [Energy, Permanent]
Light Control 12
  • AP: Blast 12
Summon 6 [Fanatical, Horde, Broad Type (Faerie), Progression (50 minions), Sacrifice]
Combat: Attack +10 [Blast DC 27, Dazzle DC 20], Defense +10, Init +3
Saves: Toughness +5/+17, Fortitude +7, Reflex +8, Will +6
Description: Tall, long-legged, and beautiful, Hermione-as-Gloriana is a being of pure light, dazzling to look upon. She remains fairly humanoid, but appears dressed in an abbreviated, finely tailored dress of the Elizabethan style, and sports insect wings growing from her back. She can blind anyone looking upon her, create ambient light, or generate a beam of laser-like intensity that can burn through nearly anything. In addition, she is capable of creating constructs of solid light, including a horde of faerie creatures that do her bidding.
Minions (Sample):
PL: 6
Abilities: STR: 10 (-) DEX: 10 (-) CON: 10 (-) INT: 10 (-) WIS: 10 (-) CHR: 10 (-)
Skills: -
Feats: Improved Initiative 1
Powers: Blast 6 [Affects Corporeal]
  • AP: Strike 6 [Affects Corporeal, Penetrating]
Insubstantial 3 [Energy, Innate, Permanent]
Protection 6
Combat: Attack +6 [Blast +6, Strike +6], Defense +6, Init +4
Saves: Toughness +6, Fortitude +2, Reflex +4, Will +2
Description: A slightly built elfin figure created out of light, armed with a wand that can unleash a blast of laser light, and a longsword that burns as it cuts.

Under the Hood
I really have no recollection of where Gloriana came from. The name, I think, comes from a character in one of Michael Moorcock's Von Bek novels, where she's an alternate queen of England. So I think I ran with that idea a bit, but gave this Gloriana the bare bones version of the Green Lantern set of powers. The Summon is really just another expression of Create Object; the minions aren't magically teleported in from another dimension, but created whole cloth by her phenomenal powers. She can control and direct up to fifty individual constructs while also using other combinations of her other abilities, so Gloriana is quite capable of giving a team of superpowered beings a run for their money. She's also stuck in energy form, unable to turn back into a human being, although that mysterious book could hold the key to defeating her. Whether it's still in her abandoned flat, though, is anyone's guess.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:11 am

Scavenger
The mysterious Scavenger is the only human known to explore the toxic environs of the Breach with any kind of success. He seems unbothered by the poisonous atmosphere, and furthermore his technology continues to function somehow. This has allowed Scavenger to collect biological samples of the daikaiju. He smuggles them out of the quarantined area and sells them off the highest bidder, an activity that has netted him a considerable amount of ready cash which he keeps locked up in a Swiss bank account. He mostly puts the money back into his business, in part using the cash to bribe the right people to look the other way when sneaking back and forth over the border, but also to keep and maintain his vehicles and weapons.

Eerily, Scavenger seems to have some kind of rapport with the daikaiju he hunts. What connection, if any, he has to the Breach itself or the creatures that come from it, remains a mystery. But several people, Project Atomic included, would like to ask him a lot of pointed questions.
PL: 12
Abilities: STR: 10/18 (-/+4) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: 10/30 (-/+10) INT: 22 (+6) WIS: 16 (+3) CHR: 12 (+1)
Skills: Bluff 8 (+9)
Concentration 4 (+7)
Craft: Electronic 4 (+10)
Craft: Mechanical 4 (+10)
Disable Device 8 (+14)
Handle Animal 8 (+9)
Knowledge: Life Sciences 8 (+14)
Knowledge: Technology 4 (+10)
Notice 8 (+11)
Ride 4 (+6)
Stealth 8 (+10)
Survival 8 (+11)
Feats: Defensive Attack
Endurance 1
Genius 1
Hardy
Inventor
Iron Stomach
Low Profile 1
Power Attack
Equipment 4 [Cell Phone, Survival Kit, Vehicle: Humvee]
Powers: Adaptation 4
Device 4: “Control Rod” [Easy to Lose, Only He Can Use]
[*]Mind Control 12 [Limited (Daikaiju)]
[*]Strike 7 [Mighty]
Enhanced CON 20
Enhanced STR 8
Combat: Attack +10 [Mind Control DC 22, Strike DC 26, Unarmed DC 19], Defense +10, Init +2
Saves: Toughness +10, Fortitude +12, Reflex +8, Will +9
Description: Scavenger is easy to spot in a crowd. Misshapen and twisted, Scavenger has an enormous upper body dominated by a hump of flesh over his left shoulder that gives him an unbalanced look, especially in comparison to his thin and spindly legs. His arms are massively muscled, thick and powerful, and his hands form into fists the size of frozen turkeys. But he has long, delicate fingers, the fingers of a pianist or other artist. His face is a mass of bone and flesh, with thick brows, tiny piggish eyes, and a strong chin. His teeth look too large for his face, and his canines are much larger than normal. For the most part, Scavenger wears hunting fatigues including a bright orange vest.

Despite his appearance, Scavenger is quite brilliant, a quick and able thinker and also a fast talker who is always ready with a believable lie or a bribe. His twisted body is incredibly strong and weirdly durable and healthy, and it appears he possesses a mutant ability to quickly evolve defenses against hostile environments or other dangers. His “control rod” is a dieselpunk-looking length of iron and wires which has the appearance of something he built in his basement. With it, Scavenger can actually generate some kind of signal or energy that allows him to remotely control the minds and actions of daikaiju. It also functions as a club, one he is devastatingly accurate with.
Humvee
A refitted and heavily modified all terrain vehicle, Scavenger’s Humvee is matte black in color. It has extended trunk space and hidden compartments, including refrigeration units, allowing him to transport bits and pieces of daikaiju within its cargo space.
STR: 40 (+15) Toughness: +10 Defense Bonus: -1 Size: Large
Features: Hidden Compartments 1, Jumping Jacks, Navigation System 1, Off Road Movement
Powers: Immunity 1 [Breach Atmosphere]
Speed 5 [250 mph, 2200 ft./rnd]

Under the Hood
If the Breach and the daikaiju aren't enough of a hook, this guy is there to get the players involved. Smuggling biologic material out of the Breach environment and selling it to the highest bidder (probably Globex, that evil chemical company) should be enough to bring the heroes around to investigate. Scavenger is no slouch on his own, but that control rod gives him an edge against even the toughest opponents. Being able to control a daikaiju and direct its attacks is nothing to sneeze at. Something with the power of a daikaiju driven by someone with the intellect of Scavenger should give even the bravest hero pause.

Yojimbo

Crimson King The Crimson King’s true identity remains unknown, but it is presumed The Multiverse in My Head: Atomic Ramp

Post by Yojimbo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:07 pm

Crimson King
The Crimson King’s true identity remains unknown, but it is presumed he was a soldier stationed at Project Atomic Headquarters in Los Alamos, and was most likely exposed to the same radiation that created Lizard King and Lizard Queen. These suppositions are based entirely on the similarity between Lizard King and Crimson King’s powers, and Crimson King’s obvious hatred and enmity for Project Atomic and all of the organization’s employees and projects. Crimson King is a diabolic mastermind, working to engineer the downfall of Project Atomic and the deaths of all the superpowered beings in the organization’s employ. Crimson King appears to have full control of his mental faculties, but he also possesses some clear psychoses. Paramount among them is his all-consuming hatred for Project Atomic, which makes him occasionally reckless. The most obvious secondary affectation is his constant monologue, muttered low and under his breath, a stream of endless commentary on what is going on around him, what he is thinking that exact moment, and what he plans to do next.
Abilities: STR: 36 (+13) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: 36 (+13) INT: 14 (+2) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 14 (+2)
Skills: Bluff 8 (+10)
Drive 4 (+6)
Intimidate 8 (+12)
Knowledge: Tactics 4 (+6)
Notice 4 (+6)
Profession: Soldier 4 (+6)
Sense Motive 4 (+6)
Stealth 3 (+10)
Survival 4 (+6)
Feats: All-Out Attack
Chokehold
Diehard
Fascinate (Intimidate)
Favored Opponent: Mutated Humans
Hide in Plain Sight
Improved Grab
Improved Grapple
Improved Initiative 1
Improved Pin
Power Attack
Powers: Adaptation 3
Growth 4 [Permanent]
Impervious Toughness 10
Leaping 2 [Running Jump 115 ft, Standing Jump 57 ft, High Jump 28 ft]
Speed 2 [25 mph/220 ft/rnd]
Strike 10 [Duration 2 (Sustained); Aura, Continuous]
Super-Strength 8 [Heavy Load: 471 tons]
Combat: Attack +10 [Unarmed DC 28, Strike DC 25], Defense +8, Init +6
Saves: Toughness +16, Fortitude +13, Reflex +8, Will +8
Description: A huge, broadly built reptilian humanoid. He looks almost exactly like Lizard King, except for the bright red color of his scales, and his cold black eyes. In addition, Crimson King’s powers are broadly similar to Lizard King’s, including the ability to adapt to external stimuli very quickly, to leap vast distances and to run swiftly. However, Crimson King runs a very high bodily temperature, much higher than any anyone should be able to without cooking their brain, and that heat pours off of him, enough to scorch anyone who comes into physical contact with him.

Under the Hood
An obvious riff on Red Hulk, and I can only hope that a little bit of my contempt for Red Hulk has bled through into this character. I didn't bother giving him a secret identity, because without fifty years of continuity to back it up, any potential suspect would be as meaningful as any random name pulled out of a hat (which, tbh, his identity would be). He's basically just a mirror villain, with the same origin and powers as Lizard King (except for that heat field, which Lizard King's own Adaptation would quickly negate), but he provides a little bit of variety amongst Project Atomic's rogues gallery.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:14 pm

Mega Brain, Dr. Lucian Sanchez
The strange purple meteorite that created Mega Woman and Rock Man was but a fragment of a much larger meteor, which fractured as it struck Earth’s atmosphere. The different fragments scattered around the globe, mutating whatever life they found where they landed. One meteorite landed in the backyard of nuclear physicist Dr. Lucian Sanchez of White Sands, New Mexico. A former employee of Project Atomic, Lucian had recently lost his job following a sexual harassment suit. He was nursing a grudge and a large bottle of scotch when the meteorite landed, and his subconscious desires and fears were acted upon by the strange radiation. In seconds, his body had withered to the size of a child’s, while his head and skull expanded at an almost geometric rate. Gifted with a superhuman intelligence and incredible psychic powers, Lucian renamed himself Mega Brain and began to plot his revenge against those who had wronged him. He has developed an unhealthy obsession with Mega Woman, based perhaps in part by their shared connection to Quintessence.
Abilities: STR: 8 (-1) DEX: 10 (-) CON: 18 (+4) INT: 30 (+10) WIS: 26 (+8) CHR: 8 (-1)
Skills: Concentration 12 (+20)
Craft: Chemical 8 (+18)
Craft: Electrical 8 (+18)
Craft: Mechanical 8 (+18)
Disable Device 8 (+18)
Knowledge: Earth Sciences 8 (+18)
Knowledge: Life Sciences 8 (+18)
Knowledge: Physical Sciences 8 (+18)
Knowledge: Technology 8 (+18)
Notice 4 (+12)
Sense Motive 4 (+12)
Feats: Eidetic Memory
Improved Initiative 1
Improvised Tools
Inventor
Master Plan
Powers: Flight 4 [100 mph, 880 ft./rnd]
Force Field 12
Growth 4 [Permanent]
Mental Blast 10
Mind Control 10 [Area Burst, Selective Attack]
Telekinesis 12 [Damaging, Perception, Precise]
Telepathy 9
Combat: Attack +4 [Mental Blast DC 25, Telekinesis DC 27], Defense +8, Init +4
Saves: Toughness +4/+16, Fortitude +6, Reflex +6, Will +14
Drawbacks: Quadriplegic (Uncommon, Major)
Description: Dr. Sanchez has become an enormous, malformed head with a hideously tiny and withered body hanging from it. His head is roughly ten feet tall, with enormous dark eyes and a large-toothed mouth. His short dark hair is wild and unkempt, and his forehead and brow are distended and bulge with his unnatural brain. Mega Brain moves through the use of his telekinetic power, and can unleash powerful telekinetic blasts or bursts of psychic energy that can cripple and unprotected mind. He is also able to take control of crowds of people, or communicate telepathically. Whenever his powers are active, his body takes on a sickly purplish glow, and his telekinesis manifests as purplish ectoplasm. Likewise, those mind controlled by him possess glowing purple eyes, and his mental blast explodes from his brow in a shower of violet light.

Under the Hood
He's basically Hector Hammond, and I will cheerfully admit that. Giant head + psychic powers + total creep generally adds up to one thing, after all. But the giant head and little body should also bring to mind M.O.D.O.K., and remind you that there's really nothing original in comic books or role-playing games. Regardless, he's quite a decent array of threatening abilities, especially in a world where most powers are oriented towards physical abilities. He won't be able to attack most of them directly, but he's pretty damn smart and more than capable of coming up with an intricate, diabolical plan that involves proxies, well-timed distractions, and strikes at vulnerable points which he has sussed out thanks to his telepathy.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:04 am

Berserker, Yuri Galatinov
Russian soldier of fortune and spy for hire Yuri Galatinov infiltrated the Project Atomic facility at Los Alamos, seeking to steal any number of scientific secrets. When the security team discovered him, he made the mistake of taking Harvard and Kayleen Lennox hostage. That brought the Lizard King into the mix, and Galatinov was forced to flee for his life. In the ensuing chase, Galatinov ended up in one of the Lennox’ special labs, and a lethal burst of telluric radiation went off. Galatinov should have died, but like so many, he proved resistant to the radiation and instead transformed into a massive, blue skinned monstrous form. Maddened and in pain, Galatinov still managed to fight off Lizard King and Doc Atomic before escaping into the New Mexico wilderness. Still at large, Galatinov still sells himself out to the highest bidder, although he can charge a great deal more now.
PL: 12
Abilities: STR: 22/30/40 (+6/+10/+15) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: 18/38 (+4/+14) INT: 16 (+3) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 14 (+2)
Skills: Bluff 8 (+10)
Computers 8 (+11)
Diplomacy 4 (+6)
Disguise 4 (+6)
Drive 4 (+6)
Gather Information 4 (+6)
Intimidate 8 (+12)
Knowledge: Current Events 8 (+11)
Knowledge: Tactics 8 (+11)
Language 2 [Arabic, English]
Notice 4 (+6)
Pilot 4 (+6)
Sense Motive 4 (+6)
Stealth 8 (+6)
Defensive Attack
Defensive Strike
Fighting Style: Muay Thai
Improved Block 1
Improved Critical 1 [Unarmed Strike]
Power Attack
Stunning Attack
Takedown Attack 2
Improved Initiative 2
Ultimate Effort: Toughness Save
Withstand Damage
Powers: Enhanced CON 20
Enhanced STR 8
Enhanced Trait 8 [Rage 4 (Increased Duration 4)]
Growth 6 [Permanent]
Immunity 11 [Critical Hits, Life Support]
Impervious Toughness 13
Leaping 4 [Running Jump: 500 ft., Standing Jump: 250 ft., High Jump: 125 ft.]
  • AP: Speed 4 [100 mph, 880 ft./rnd]
Regeneration 16 [Bruised 2 (1/action), Disabled 4 (1/5 minutes), Injured 3 (1/minute), Staggered 4 (1/round), Unconscious 2 (1/action), Resurrection 1 (1/week)]
Super-Strength 8 [Heavy Load: 409.6 tons; Countering Punch, Groundstrike, Shockwave, Super-Breath, Thunderclap]
Combat: Attack +10 [Unarmed DC 25/30], Defense +10, Init +10
Saves: Toughness +14, Fortitude +15/20, Reflex +8, Will +8/+13
Description: A gigantic being, massively muscled, with a head like an anvil and fists the size of small dogs, Berserker is a frightening monster. Nearly fifteen feet tall, with bright blue skin, black hair, and weirdly glowing blue eyes, Galatinov is virtually indestructible. When he does get hurt, his body repairs itself at an accelerated rate, and he ignores most environmental factors, including a need to breathe. He can leap vast distances, run as fast as a sports car, and lift enormous weights. When he loses his temper, he gets even stronger. Beyond his superhuman abilities, Galatinov is a highly skilled and dangerous hand to hand fighter, tactician, and spy. In many ways, his intelligence and experience are what make him truly dangerous.

Under the Hood
A giant monster who is also a skill monkey. Although at his current size and shape, some of his skills are less useful to him. Still, he's a double threat, and the combination of his durability, regeneration, and intelligence means he should be able to give even a team like Project Atomic a hard time just by himself, but he will probably need allies to really have a chance at winning. Still, those four ranks of Rage give him a bit of an edge in combat and really boost his Will save.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:12 am

Behemoth, Kingsley David
Kingsley is the oldest son of one of Globex’s chief executives. As such, he has wanted for nothing his entire life. His father’s wealth and power have gotten him out of a number of sticky situations. But eventually, Kingsley’s taste for illegal thrills exhausted his father’s patience (if not the elder David’s resources), and Kingsley was forced to leave the country “for a little while, until things blow over.” Kingsley went to Africa, bought a safari outfit and a lot of big guns and started hunting big game. Kingsley’s aggression, self-absorption, and borderline sociopathy, angered the locals. A guide named Kola, whose own son died in a stampede of wildebeest triggered by Kingsley, led Kingsley to a hidden remote grove, a sacred spot known only to Kola and a few others. Kola showed Kingsley the ancient golden accoutrements and artifacts at the site, and Kingsley, overcome with greed, tried to steal them. He made it to the edge of the grove before the curse took him: the ancient gods of the grove transformed Kingsley into a horrible beast-man, in which form he is doomed to spend the rest of his life.

Kola made the mistake of gloating about his revenge, and Kingsley tore him and the rest of the expedition to shreds in a fit of fury. Kingsley has fled Africa, making his way back to the United States ahead of schedule. While he is becoming more bestial with each passing day, he knows that somehow, Daddy will make it all better.
PL: 13
Abilities: STR: 12/22/36 (+1/+6/+14) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: 10/20/28 (-/+5/+9) INT: 16 (+3) WIS: 12 (+1) CHR: 14 (+2)
Skills: Climb 4 (+10)
Intimidate 4 (+10)
Knowledge: Civics 4 (+7)
Knowledge: Streetwise 4 (+7)
Notice 8 (+9)
Search 4 (+7)
Sense Motive 4 (+5)
Survival 8 (+9)
Swim 4 (+10)
Blind-Fight
Crushing Pin
Endurance 1
Grappling Block
Hardy
Improved Grab
Improved Grapple
Improved Initiative 1
Improved Overrun
Iron Stomach
Move-by Action
Power Attack
Rapid Healing
Takedown Attack 2
Powers: Enhanced CON 10
Enhanced STR 10
Growth 8
Immovable 4
Impervious Toughness 12
Protection 6
Super-Senses 2 [Low-light Vision, Scent]
Super-Strength 8 [Heavy Load 2.5k tons; Groundstrike, Shockwave, Super-Breath, Thunderclap]
Combat: Attack +10 [Unarmed DC 21/29], Defense +10, Init +6
Saves: Toughness +11/+15, Fortitude +9/+13, Reflex +6, Will +8
Description: As Kingsley, he was a good looking man in his late twenties, tan and fit, with carefully coifed blond hair and cold blue eyes. Now, Behemoth fits his nickname. He is a massive humanoid being, broad shouldered and nearly seven feet tall at regular size, although he can spring up to a height of sixteen feet at a moment’s notice, greatly increasing his physical strength and durability, which are considerable to begin with. Behemoth is covered in short, dark blue fur like an ape, his skin light blue, and his eyes a cold violet. His face is slightly prognathic, with pronounced canines and a large nose that misses nothing. Beneath his fur, his body is densely and compactly muscled, his flesh nearly invulnerable to harm. He moves with what appears to be an ungainly, hunching sort of posture, but covers ground quickly and efficiently, and his slightly overlong ape-like arms make him an expert grappler. Behemoth is savage; he doesn’t just kill, he demolishes his opponents.

Under the Hood
Kingsley is a total bro and spoiled brat, a combination that can have terrible consequences in the real world. Make him a literal monster, and that's a recipe for disaster. He has the by-now ubiquitous Growth, but unlike Berserker, Behemoth has to activate it, which makes him go from a super strong, monstrous form to an even more super strong gigantic form. I don't know why I thought that would be interesting when I built him, but apparently I did. He also has way more combat feats than he probably should, but I guess I can rationalize at least some of them as things he's picked up between Africa and returning to the US.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:16 am

And... that is basically it for Atomic Rampage! (as of this writing). I may come back to this setting at some point. I have in my notes plans for an Ultraman type character to defend Japan and some kind of "Elephant Man," but I know Invincible got to that one before me, and any way, the next setting has a guy with elephant powers, so I got that out of my system at some point.

I am going to switch over to Empire City next. I may go down to one post a day, because the "Under the Hood" section is going to expand, as I ramble on about characters I've actually been able to play. That will eventually lead into Los Dorados, which is more like Atomic Rampage! in that it's entirely theoretical, i.e. a place I'd like to game in some day, but probably will never get the chance.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Empire City

Post by Yojimbo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:32 am

Empire City

Atomic Rampage! had a simple hook, and so does this setting. It's not mine, but I made a number of characters for it, and spun it off into my own mini-campaign in Los Dorados.

Anyway, the friend I play M&M with called me up one day and suggested we try a new campaign. We'd largely exhausted Guardians, and Nolan's Batman movies had just had their first installment. He was inspired by both Batman Begins and the X-Men movies to make a new world. A world of mutants and vigilantes. Cinematic. Gritty. Lethal damage would be the default, although characters could of course "pull their punches" and do non-lethal. The center of the setting would be a sprawling, East Coast metropolis that would substitute for New York City, a crime-ridden city of dark alleyways, soaring skyscrapers, corrupt police, outcast mutants, and violence.

He just needed a name. Thinking of Peter Parker's alma mater and the mirror universe name for Freedom City, I suggested Empire City. That seemed to work, and soon we were off.

I was given leave to make four characters to start, so I figured I'd go with a Batman, a Green Arrow, a Wolverine, and a Spider-Man.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:01 am

The Owl, Robert Wallace
Robert Wallace grew up in the slums of Empire City. His father was gunned down in a drive-by when he was five years old. When he was ten, a mob-run restaurant exploded, igniting a gang war across the city – and his mother and younger sister happened to be in the restaurant at the time. Robert would have been a statistic himself, but with his mother’s death, he was taken in by his father’s brother, the other Robert Wallace and the man he was named after. The elder Wallace, a successful businessman and banker, was also a bit of a playboy and adventurer, and took the younger Robert around the world with him. Robert learned many lessons at his uncle’s side; how to have a good time, how to fight, how to stand up for himself and people in need. When he was sixteen, young Robert decided he would return to Empire City, as an avenger, a peacemaker, a warrior. He began to train in earnest, and his uncle indulged him.

Robert didn’t want to join the police or the feds – he wanted to become a symbol, a force of nature, a being who could strike terror in the hearts of criminals. His childhood fascination with mythology and ornithology came back to him, and he devised a uniform based on a flying nocturnal predator that swoops on silent wings to snatch up its prey: the Owl.

Masked, armored, and armed with a variety of weapons and gadgets, Robert has returned to the city of his birth to mete out long deserved justice. He is foiling small crimes while scouting out the layers of corruption and crime, looking for allies within the police force and targets for his wrath. His first target is John Toshiba, the man who ignited a gang war with the bomb that destroyed Robert’s family.

Both of his parents were social workers, trying to help the people of the city, but they got caught in the crossfire. He has inherited their idealism and stubbornness, as well as his uncle’s ruthlessness. It is a powerful combination.
PL: 10
Abilities: STR: 18 (+4) DEX: 16 (+3) CON: 16 (+3) INT: 18 (+4) WIS: 18 (+4) CHR: 16 (+3)
Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+7)
Climb 8 (+12)
Computers 8 (+12)
Disable Device 8 (+12)
Disguise 8 (+11)
Drive 4 (+7)
Escape Artist 8 (+11)
Gather Information 8 (+11)
Intimidate 8 (+11)
Investigate 8 (+12)
Knowledge: Business 4 (+8)
Knowledge: Civics 4 (+8)
Knowledge: Streetwise 4 (+8)
Pilot 4 (+7)
Search 8 (+12)
Sense Motive 8 (+12)
Stealth 12 (+15)
Feats: Defensive Roll 2
Fearless
Hide in Plain Sight
Improved Block 1
Improved Critical 2 [Strike]
Improved Disarm
Improved Initiative
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Master Plan
Power Attack
Sneak Attack
Well-Informed
Equipment 4 [Commlink, Flashlight, Grapple Claw (Super Movement 1: Swinging), Handcuffs, Multi-Tool, Nightvision Goggles, Rebreather, Boomerangs, Shuriken, Armored Jumpsuit (Toughness +3)]
Powers: Strike 4 [Mighty; Training]
Combat: Attack +12 [Strike DC 23, Boomerang DC 21, Shuriken DC 20], Defense +12, Init +7
Saves: Toughness +3/8, Fortitude +7, Reflex +6, Will +6
Drawbacks & Complications: Secret: Identity, Responsibility: Empire City, Obsession: Justice
Description: A tall and imposing African American man, Wallace keeps his hair short and his face shaven. He sleeps during the day and works at night, and doesn’t have much of a social life outside of superheroing. The Owl uniform is a black and gray armored suit, with a scallop edged cape, a fully stocked utility belt, and a sculpted helm with projections that resemble an owl’s eyebrows.

The Owl
PL: 10/180pp
Abilities: STR: 18 (+4) DEX: 16 (+3) CON: 16 (+3) INT: 18 (+4) WIS: 18 (+4) CHR: 16 (+3)
Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+7)
Bluff 8 (+11)
Climb 8 (+12)
Computers 14 (+18)
Disable Device 15 (+19)
Disguise 8 (+11)
Drive 4 (+7)
Escape Artist 8 (+11)
Gather Information 8 (+11)
Intimidate 8 (+11)
Investigate 12 (+16)
Knowledge: Business 4 (+8)
Knowledge: Civics 4 (+8)
Knowledge: Streetwise 4 (+8)
Language 4 [Arabic, Japanese, Russian, Spanish]
Notice 8 (+12)
Pilot 4 (+7)
Search 8 (+12)
Sense Motive 8 (+12)
Stealth 15 (+18)
Benefit 1 [Alternate Identity]
Defensive Roll 2
Defensive Strike
Evasion 2
Fearless
Follow-Up Strike
Hide in Plain Sight
Improved Block 1
Improved Critical 2 [Strike]
Improved Disarm
Improved Initiative
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Luck 1
Power Attack
Quick Draw
Uncanny Dodge 2 [Visual]
Well-Informed
Equipment 14
Powers: Strike 4 [Mighty; Training]
"Cape" Flight 1 [Gliding]
"Goggles" Super-Senses 5 [Darkvision, Infravision, Low-Light Vision, Ultravision]
"Grapple Claw" Super-Movement 1 [Swinging]
"Utility Belt" Screechers [Dazzle 4; Visual & Auditory, Area Burst, Duration: Sustained, Independent]
  • AP:" Bolas" Snare 8
  • AP: "Concussion Grenade" Stun 6 [Burst Area, Ranged]
  • AP: "Fragmentation Grenade" Blast 8 [Explosion]
  • AP: "Owl Talons" Blast 4 [Autofire 1, Mighty 4, Ricochet 2]
  • AP: "Smoke Bomb" Obscure 8 [Cloud Area]
Combat: Attack +12 [Strike +8, ], Defense +12, Init +7
Saves: Toughness +3/8, Fortitude +7, Reflex +6, Will +7
Equipment: Commlink, Flashlight, Handcuffs, Investigator’s Kit, Multi-Tool, Parabolic Microphone, Rebreather, Vehicle: Motorcyle; Cape; Goggles; Grapple Claw; Armored Uniform
HQ: Abandoned Warehouse
T: +10
Size: M
Features: Laboratory, Library, Communications, Computer, Concealed 1, Garage, Gym, Living Space, Power System, Security System

Under the Hood
Two versions of the same character; the first one was where he started, the second one is further along, although not quite where he ended up. He eventually picked up a stealth flying vehicle, because as much as I wanted him to be Batman, once I picked the Owl motif I knew he needed an Archimedes. You can see that I spent most of his power points on equipment. This character is actually where I figured out how to build a Utility Belt, with a collection of cool crime fighting tools.

The Arkham Asylum video game and Batman Begins helped a great deal with his characterization and fighting style. He depended very much on stealth and gadgets. The few times I let him step out into the fray and attack directly - trying to be a badass like comic book Batman - he would invariably get his ass kicked. Once he took a crit and I totally flubbed the Toughness save. But he could be easily Disabled from even a normal hit. I also learned that high Defense, low Toughness is a bad combination for me. I just have a tendency to roll low when it really counts.

Anyway, he was the first character introduced to Empire City and he was pretty much just a growly, buzzkill Batman type. He wouldn't let anyone else shoot to kill, he never really worked closely with the police, and he ultimately proved too fragile and other characters kind of took over his spot. But he was mostly fun to play, for all that. He was a great detective, he played off a lot of the other characters fairly well, and his obsessions helped fuel a number of adventures. He grew gradually more competent as I bought him more stuff. Being able to Glide and see in the dark was very helpful. He built the core of the superteam that protected Empire City, but it quickly outgrew him. He preferred to stay in the shadows, protecting his secret identity, and being the unsung hero (albeit symbol the city needed).

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:17 am

Wolf
Ten years ago he was found naked in a burning field in upstate New York, with no memory of who he was or how he came to be there. He spoke perfect English and possessed the equivalent of a sophomore level education. Remanded to the custody of the state, he was pegged as a troublemaker due to his violent temper. State psychologist Archie Geller was brought in to work with him, and somehow got through to Wolf, providing inspiration, guidance, and hope. Dr. Geller took personal interest in Wolf’s life, helped him graduate high school, and to get a job. But everything changed when a random street mugging which Geller tried to break up put him in the hospital. When Wolf heard, the violent temper he’d tried to repress reared up again and he went on the hunt, tracking down and eventually bringing to justice the men who shot his mentor. Geller rallied and made it out of the hospital. Wolf found his purpose – too much of a loner to join the police, he’s become a bounty hunter, using his unique “talents” to capture and punish wrongdoers.
Abilities: STR: 20/30 (+5/+10) DEX: 12 (+1) CON: 20/30 (+5/+10) INT: 10 (-) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 10 (-)
Skills: Drive 4 (+5)
Gather Information 8
Investigate 8
Notice 4 (+6)
Sense Motive 4 (+6)
Stealth 8 (+9)
Survival 8 (+10)
Attack Specialization 6 [Unarmed]
Improved Critical 2 [Unarmed]
Improved Initiative 2
Move-By Action
Power Attack
Takedown Attack 2
Powers: Enhanced Ability 20 [STR 10, CON 10]
Leaping 5 [AP: Speed 5 (250 mph)]
Regeneration 30 [Persistent, Regrowth, Bruised 3 (1/round/without rest), Disabled 8 (1/round/without rest), Injured 6 (1/round/without rest), Staggered 6 (1/round/without rest), Unconscious 3 (1/round/without rest), Resurrection 4 (1 hour)]
Super-Senses 2 [Scent, Track (Half Speed)]
Combat: Attack +10 [Unarmed DC 25], Defense +10, Init +9
Saves: Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Reflex +7, Will +6
Drawbacks & Complications: Secret: Past
Description: A massive man, Wolf stands 6’4” and weights about 250 lbs. Heavily muscled, he has a mane of dark hair, long sideburns, and piercing golden eyes. His hooked nose is very sensitive, and his ears have a slight point to them. His canines are also slightly larger than normal. Wolf dresses casually in jeans, t-shirts, flannel, hiking boots, and a dark brown leather jacket.

Wolf
PL: 10/176 pp
Abilities: STR: 20/30 (+5/+10) DEX: 12 (+1) CON: 20/30 (+5/+10) INT: 10 (-) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 10 (-)
Skills: Drive 4 (+5)
Gather Information 8
Intimidate 4
Knowledge: Streetwise 4
Notice 10 (+12)
Sense Motive 4 (+6)
Stealth 8 (+9)
Survival 10 (+12)
Chokehold
Improved Critical 2 [Unarmed Attack]
Improved Grab
Improved Grapple
Improved Initiative 2
Move-By Action
Power Attack
Rage 1
Takedown Attack 2
Powers: Enhanced CON 10
Enhanced STR 10
Leaping 5 [Running Jump: 1000 ft., Standing Jump: 500 ft., High Jump: 250 ft.]
  • AP: Speed 5 [250 mph, 2200 ft./rnd]
Regeneration 30 [Diehard, Persistent, Regrowth]
Bruised 3 [1/round/no rest]
Disabled 8 [1/round/no rest]
Injured 6 [1/round/no rest]
Staggered 6 [1/round/no rest]
Unconscious 3 [1/round/no rest]
Resurrection 4 [1/hour]
Super-Senses 4 [Darkvision, Scent, Tracking 1 (Scent)]
Super-Strength 4 [Heavy Load: 12.8 tons]
Combat: Attack +10 [Unarmed DC 25], Defense +10, Init +9
Saves: Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Reflex +6, Will +7

Under the Hood
Wolf was the "Wolverine" of the group, although he quickly evolved beyond that idea. I didn't want to go with the claws or the metal bones, and the powers I did pick for him were more similar to the Golden Age Superman's, with his mobility, super-senses, strength and durability. But it didn't take me too long to realize he had to be played like Ben Grimm. A blue collar, gruff but good natured guy who always took the piss on everything, who gave his friends odd nicknames and seemed unphazed by all the giant robots, weird mutants, ninjas, and other crap he had to deal with on a daily basis. Wolf became the main character of Empire City, not only because he was so much fun to play, but in part because of his "secret origin."

I basically cribbed that origin from Savage Dragon (long before the actual origin of that character was revealed) and like Wolverine, it was supposed to be a big secret. But it was one I never really felt interested in exploring. The GM thought I did, and started into something about Wolf's mutant genes being a key to the development of super-soldiers and empowered humans around the world, until I pointed out that he hadn't appeared as an adult, but as a teenager, and he kind of had to scramble to adjust a little bit. Still, we never really found out where Wolf came from or how he got his powers, and I have always been totally fine with that. I was always more interested in what he would do as the world evolved around him.

So I think I've mentioned the fact that I tend to roll low in previous entries. Wolf was the perfect antidote to that. Because even if I really tanked a Toughness save (and I often did), he would bounce back in a few rounds and get back into the fight. He made good use of his Leaping and Speed, and started to add a little bit of Super-Strength as he gained power points. Probably his most valuable ability was Scent, with which he identified a number of criminal masterminds, unmasking them because they never thought to douse themselves in cologne after donning their longjohns and balaclavas.

Wolf's chosen profession was bounty hunter. He hung out in a bar run by a guy named Mustafa with a bunch of other bounty hunters (who eventually started to form the core of the team that became known as the "Regulators," the city's protectors) and went out to catch criminals on the run. As things escalated, Wolf found himself the face of the team (Owl kind of directed operations, but he never came out during the day and was careful about protecting his secret identity, something Wolf just didn't have) and worked with the honest cops to clean up the city and capture supervillains. There was definitely an Iron Age feel to Empire City, and we had characters who went for the kill, but Wolf generally tried to restrain and capture rather than kill. It was another way I differentiated him from Wolverine and leaned more into the Thing; but every once in a while, usually when one of his friends was severely injured, he'd make use of that one rank of Rage and rip someone's arms off.

I guess there's a bit of Lobo in him too, what with the wolf motif and the regeneration and the motorcycle and the bounty hunting, but there was never over the top machismo with Wolf, he never used weapons, and if he was an alien, we never found out about it.

Between Owl and Wolf, I started to get a handle on the naming convention I would use for all the characters in this setting. I went for one-syllable, simple and direct names as often as possible, only adding a syllable for a few characters but hewing to general simplicity at all times. The animal theme would come up again and again, too.

Wolf picked up a "Catwoman" of sorts. One of the first powered villains we fought was a woman named Dementia, who was crazy as all get out, but had claws and regeneration. They developed a kind of mutual respect that became attraction in Dementia's mind, and Wolf never had the heart to really take her out. On occasion, she'd even be helpful. Mostly she'd ripped his throat out, though. As it turned out, she had once been a soldier in the US Army who had undergone treatments to become a super-soldier, using DNA garnered from Wolf himself. I'd later take this idea and spin it off into something I called Project: Grasshopper, with which I'd make a bunch of other characters who I'll eventually post.

Yojimbo

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: Empire City

Post by Yojimbo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:44 am

Hood, Mark Bowden
A former special forces operative who lost a hand and an eye in service of his country, Bowden was high enough up the chain of command to benefit from experimental bionic enhancements that replaced his hand and eye. He trained with his new organs using archery as a way to become accustomed to the hand and eye. Otherwise, Bowden was retired, although still available for consultation with his old agency. Then his friends and colleagues began to be hunted down, and Bowden took on the costumed identity of the Hood to bring their killer to justice.
Abilities: STR: 16 (+3) DEX: 20 (+5) CON: 16 (+3) INT: 14 (+2) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 14 (+2)
Skills: Acrobatics 3 (+8)
Bluff 6 (+9)
Climb 5 (+8)
Concentration 8 (+10)
Drive 1 (+6)
Gather Information 4 (+7)
Intimidate 8 (+11)
Knowledge: Tactics 5 (+7)
Notice 8 (+10)
Search 4 (+6)
Sense Motive 4 (+6)
Stealth 8 (+13)
All-Out Attack
Attack Specialization 2 [Bow]
Defensive Attack
Defensive Roll 2
Improved Aim
Improved Disarm 2
Improved Initiative 2
Improved Sunder
Luck 2
Power Attack
Precise Shot 2
Quick Draw 2
Ranged Pin
Teamwork 3
Ultimate Effort: Aim
Uncanny Dodge 2 [Hearing]
Equipment [Commlink, Multi-Tool, Armored Uniform (Toughness +3)]
Powers: Device 5: Bow [Easy to Lose]
Explosive Arrow: Blast 6 (Area Explosion)
  • AP: Acid Arrow: Corrosion 6 (Ranged)
  • AP: Knockout Arrow: Fatigue 6 (Ranged)
  • AP: Damper Arrow: Nullify 6 (All Powers)
  • AP: Smoke Arrow: Obscure 7 (Visual Senses)
  • AP: Entangle Arrow: Snare 8 (Tether, Homing 1)
  • AP: Normal Arrow: Strike 5 (Mighty, Thrown 3, Improved Critical 5, Homing 1, Ricochet 2, Split Attack 1)
  • AP: Grapple Arrow: Super-Movement 1 (Swinging)]
Super-Senses 3 [Extended 2 (Vision x 100), Infravision]
Combat: Attack +8 [Melee DC 18], Bow +12 [Blast DC 21, Strike DC 23], Defense +12, Init +13
Saves: Toughness +3/+8, Fortitude +6, Reflex +10, Will +6
Drawbacks & Complications: Secret Identity, Responsibility: Agent
Description:
Tall and rangy, Bowden has short blonde hair and one blue eye. The other is mechanical, silver and red, and typically hidden behind and eyepatch. His left hand is also artificial, and though it has a sort of artificial skin overlay, Bowden usually wears gloves to hide it. In his Hood identity, Bowden wears a black and blue armored uniform, with a mask to hide his identity and a hood to pull up over the mask. He carries two quivers of arrows, and a powerful compound bow. Various trick arrowheads are secreted in the folds and pockets of the uniform.

Hood
PL: 10/171
Abilities: STR: 16 (+3) DEX: 20 (+5) CON: 16 (+3) INT: 14 (+2) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 14 (+2)
Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+9)
Bluff 8 (+10)
Climb 6 (+9)
Concentration 8 (+10)
Craft: Bowyer 8 (+10)
Disable Device 8 (+10)
Drive 4 (+9)
Knowledge: Tactics 8 (+10)
Knowledge: Technology 4 (+6)
Notice 8 (+10)
Pilot 5 (+10)
Search 4 (+6)
Sense Motive 4 (+6)
Sleight of Hand 1 (+6)
Stealth 8 (+13)
All-Out Attack
Attack Specialization 2 [Bow]
Defensive Attack
Defensive Roll 2
Evasion 2
Improved Aim
Improved Disarm 2
Improved Initiative 2
Improved Sunder
Luck 2
Power Attack
Precise Shot 2
Quick Draw 2
Ranged Pin
Teamwork 3
Ultimate Effort: Aim
Uncanny Dodge 2 [Hearing]
Equipment 5 [Commlink, Multi-Tool, Armored Uniform (Toughness +3); Vehicle: Spy Sports Car (“Sherwood”): STR: 25 (+7), T: +8, D: -1, S: L; Features: Alarm 1, Alternate Movement: Flight, Caltrops, Communications, Computer, Costume Changer, Disguise 1, Jumping Jacks, Oil Slick, Remote Control, Smokescreen, Tire Inflators; Powers: Speed 5 (250 mph, 2200 ft./rnd]
Powers: Device 5: Bow [Easy to Lose]
Explosive Arrow: Blast 8 [Area Explosion]
  • AP: Acid Arrow [Acid 8]
  • AP: Damper Arrow [Nullify 8]
  • AP: Diamond Arrow [Blast 8 (Penetrating)]
  • AP: Entangle Arrow [Snare 8 (Tether, Homing 1)]
  • AP: Fire Arrow [Ignite 8 (Range: Ranged)]
  • AP: Flare Arrow [Dazzle 8 (Visual)]
  • AP: Freeze Arrow [Paralyze 8 (Ranged)]
  • AP: Grapple Arrow [Super-Movement 1 (Swinging)]
  • AP: Knockout Arrow [Sleep 8]
  • AP: Multi-Arrow [Blast 8 (Autofire 1)]
  • AP: Nanite Arrow [Corrosion 8 (Limited: Only Affects Objects)]
  • AP: Normal Arrow [Blast 5 (Improved Critical 5; Mighty 3, Homing 1, Split Attack 2, Ricochet 2)]
  • AP: Oil Slick Arrow [Trip 8 (Burst Area)]
  • AP: Poison Arrow [Fatigue 8]
  • AP: Smoke Arrow [Obscure 8 (Visual Senses; Cloud Area)
  • AP: Stun Arrow [Stun 8 (Ranged)]
Super-Senses 3 [Extended 2 (Vision x 100), Infravision]
Combat: Attack +8 [Unarmed DC 18], Bow +12 [Various], Defense +12, Init +13
Saves: Toughness +3/+8, Fortitude +6, Reflex +10, Will +7

Under the Hood
I try not to throw anything away. When I was 8 years old, I came up with Blue Arrow (there was a Blue Ring as well, of course). Blue Arrow had the eyepatch and the metal hand from the start though (as well as a sword that didn't survive his evolution over the years), so I knew how to pastiche even then. Obviously, I dropped the moniker first. For many years he went by "Bowmark," hence his civilian name, but when Empire City started, I decided to go with Hood. This was, and I swear, years before Arrow, but we obviously took it from the same source. "Hood" comes from Robin Hood, the most famous of archer heroes, but for Mark's case, the hood also stands for the executioner's hood.

Now, with two characters of mine who either refused to kill or preferred not to, and a GM who likes the Punisher and Deadpool, I had to throw a bone. Hood was going to be my killer. It made sense. As a former soldier (again, I never really defined what branch he served in, but I reckon he was a sniper) he would be willing to do what had to be done when the time came. The GM also introduced Bowden to Empire City as an agent for a group called Sector-9, sent to the city to investigate the rise in superhuman crime and the vigilantes responding to it. He arrived with a gun, a license to kill, and a bow and mask in the trunk of his car.

Right away he rubbed the other characters (even my characters) the wrong way. And as the setting evolved, Hood and his partner, Agent Moon, would end up leaving the city and going on international black ops missions against superhumans and terrorists abroad. He fits in much better there, as part of an elite team of killers called the Four Horsemen. With those guys, we are much freer to let our Iron Age sensibilities loose, and after a tough week, it was often a relief to go totally sickhouse on some bad guys via Hood and Hammer.

But before that, he got quite a few adventures under his belt in Empire City proper. You can see that most of his earned power points went into his bow and his equipment. He really became more of a Swiss-Army Hawkeye type than a bare bones Green Arrow type. Three power points gave me five new alternate powers: it was hard to resist. His Defense/Toughness spread was the same as Owl's, but Hood never seemed to get nailed as often as Owl. Probably because as a ranged guy, most villains couldn't get close enough to him to really connect. Or maybe Hood was just luckier.

Things happen in games that don't happen in comics or any other structured narrative. For example, the GM identified for me the guy who had murdered the Owl's family. He was going to be a recurring bad guy as Owl attempted to bring him to justice. But by happenstance, Hood and Moon infiltrated the guy's secret base, caught him napping, and Hood double-tapped him in the back of the head. To this day, Owl has no idea and he'll never get closure on his own losses. I doubt Hood even fully remembers the incident.

Hood and Moon's immediate superior in Sector-9 turned out to be running some off the books ops in Empire City, and Wolf identified him (by scent) as the mastermind behind a number of schemes. That was, I think, supposed to bring Hood and Moon into the fold with the regular Empire City guys, but the "agents" (as we referred to them) were just too bloodthirsty to mesh with the others. That's why they eventually split off to do their own thing.

We don't really do Empire City any longer. Time and other factors restrict it, and we've had a few other campaigns fizzle out since then. But every once in a while, we get the Horsemen together to do some damage. It's not smart or deep playing, but it is a total blast.