The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Lodovico Grimaldi, Lady of Glass]

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Los Dorados [Law & Order]

Post by Yojimbo » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:04 am

Mr. Amazing & Ms. Amazing
Gerard Turner and Samantha Nylund met in college, where they both studied under Dr. Sybaris Santiago, noted biochemist and inventor. Santiago conducted gene-splicing experiments for a project initiated by a black book organization within the US government, but funding was cut before he reached completion. Santiago was unwilling to let his experiments end, as close to success he was, so he began to use his own students as guinea pigs without their knowledge. Most of the class sickened during the first phase of the experiment. A handful, Turner and Nylund among them, thrived.

In phase two, Santiago abducted the five most promising candidates and secreted them within a hidden lab on campus. He intensified the program, resulting in the deaths of three of the candidates. Turner and Nylund survived, and together managed to escape and turn the tables on their captor. The two of them were transformed into superhumans, with amazing physical and mental faculties. Turner and Nylund also fell in love and married soon after graduating. Together they now fight crime as the married adventuring duo of Mr. and Ms. Amazing.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:18 am

Mr. Amazing
Gerard Turner was born in Boston, but he got out of that dreary city as quickly as possible, heading for the sun dappled hills of California for college. Initially a pre-law major, Gerry’s life was derailed when he enrolled in Sybaris Santiago’s class. His best friend, also taking the class, died, but Gerry was transformed into a superhuman. He also met and fell in love with Samantha Nylund, and together they brought Santiago to justice. A slew of endorsement deals gave the couple a nice monetary boost.

After marrying, Turner moved to Los Dorados with Nylund where they are attending graduate school together. With the money from their endorsements, they bought a brownstone and a couple of vehicles to get around in the city. Gerry is pursuing his law degree. By mutual decision, Gerry and Sam have made themselves available to the local police for consultation and assistance with paranormal crimes.
PL: 10
Abilities: STR: 30 (+10) DEX: 26 (+8) CON: 30 (+10) INT: 26 (+8) WIS: 26 (+8) CHR: 26 (+8)
Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+12)
Climb 4 (+14)
Escape Artist 4 (+12)
Gather Information 4 (+12)
Investigate 4 (+12)
Knowledge: Civics 4 (+12)
Knowledge: Streetwise 4 (+12)
Notice 4 (+12)
Sense Motive 4 (+12)
Stealth 4 (+12)
Swim 4 (+14)
Feats: Accurate Attack
Elusive Target
Improved Initiative 1
Luck
Power Attack
Takedown Attack
Equipment 7 [HQ: Urban Brownstone, Amazingmobile; Cell Phone, Investigator’s Kit]
Powers: Leaping 1 [Running Jump: 40 ft., Standing Jump: 20 ft., High Jump: 10 ft.]
Speed 1 [10 mph, 88 ft./rnd]
Super-Strength 1 [Heavy Load: 3.2k lbs]
Combat: Attack +10 [Unarmed DC 25], Defense +10, Init +12
Saves: Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Reflex +8, Will +8
Description: Gerard Turner was always in good shape, as good an athlete as he was a student, but the treatments of Doctor Santiago transformed him into a living Adonis. Tall, well-muscled, athletically and powerfully built, Gerry is also handsome as a movie star with a megawatt smile and an easygoing manner. He has short brown hair and warm hazel eyes. Besides his physicality, his intelligence and his senses were also sharpened to a superhuman level, and he has a general awareness and emotional equilibrium that can only be described as superhuman, too. He dresses fashionably, in well-tailored clothes that allow freedom of movement on top of looking good. When operating in an official capacity as “Mr. Amazing,” Gerry wears a skintight uniform in black and green, equipped with knee and elbow pads, sturdy boots with a flexible ankle, and fingerless gloves.
Amazing, Inc. (Brownstone)
Turner and Nelson purchased a Brownstone in downtown Los Dorados, not far from the university, with the last of their endorsement money. It contains living quarters for the couple, as well as a number of amenities for their nascent crime-fighting business, including a hanger for Sam’s helicopter.
Toughness: +10
Size: Huge
Features: Communications, Computer, Fire Prevention System, Garage, Gym, Hanger, Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Power System, Security System 1, Workshop
Amazingmobile (SUV)
Gerry drives a modified hybrid SUV with a forest green paint job and black markings. Sam has tweaked its performance and options, giving it short bursts of extreme speed as well as the ability to jump over obstacles without requiring a ramp. Gerry affectionately calls it the “Amazingmobile,” but Sam prefers to just call it “the car.”
STR: 35 (+12), Toughness: +10, Defense: -2, Size: Huge
Features: Costume Changer, Ejector Seat, Jumping Jacks, Navigation System 1, Nitro Injectors, Off Road Movement, Tire Inflators
Powers: Speed 5 [250 mph, 2200 ft./rnd]

Under the Hood
This is one of my favorite kinds of builds, and I will be inflicting quite a few of these types on you as we go: max out as many attributes as possible, handful of skills (and/or Jack of All Trades), some Leaping, some Speed, some strength. Basically a Captain America type of super strong, super athletic skill monkey, with an obnoxious amount of Charisma too.

The Amazings predate Empire City and Los Dorados, in fact the original versions were built for Guardians, but I thought they would fit in well in LD. They're just superhuman enough to have an edge over most criminals, but they can't fly or lift buses or shoot laserbeams out of their eyes. Just tough, athletic, brilliant, and ridiculously attractive people. Superhero celebrities, a little bit like the Fantastic Four, but more like the Dibnys. I mentioned upthread that I liked stretchy guys and the Elongated Man in particular; I did try to give Flex a Sidekick love interest/wife, but eventually scrapped her. But with the Amazings, I could have my bickering, flirty, semi-antagonistic and thoroughly loving married couple. A little less drinky than the Thin Man characters, a little less goofy than the Dibnys, but essentially the same dynamic.

However, the clincher was actually their arch-enemy: Dr. S, a.k.a. Doctor Sensational, a.k.a. Sybaris Santiago. I needed someone to build the Genesys Bomb and radically alter the population make-up of Los Dorados. I had the evil Lex Luthor type already prepared, and I even had a pair of heroes to oppose them. So the Amazings got added to Los Dorados.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:28 am

Ms. Amazing, Samantha Nylund
Born and raised in the heart of Kansas, Samantha Nylund grew up on a working farm, where she learned her way around engines by fixing tractors and trucks with her father. Also athletic, Samantha earned a partial scholarship to a college in California thanks to her skill on the soccer field. Initially an engineering major, Sam’s life was derailed when she enrolled in Sybaris Santiago’s class. Unwittingly transformed into a superhuman, she also found herself falling for fellow student Gerard Turner, and together they brought Santiago to justice. A slew of endorsement deals gave the couple a nice monetary boost.

After marrying, Nylund moved to Los Dorados with Turner where they are attending graduate school together. With the money from their endorsements, they bought a brownstone and a couple of vehicles to get around in the city. Sam is pursuing her masters in engineering. By mutual decision, Sam and Gerry have made themselves available to the local police for consultation and assistance with paranormal crimes.
Abilities: STR: 30 (+10) DEX: 26 (+8) CON: 30 (+10) INT: 26 (+8) WIS: 26 (+8) CHR: 26 (+8)
Skills: Bluff 4 (+12)
Craft: Electronic 4 (+12)
Craft: Mechanical 4 (+12)
Diplomacy 4 (+12)
Escape Artist 4 (+12)
Knowledge: Physical Science 4 (+12)
Knowledge: Technology 4 (+12)
Notice 4 (+12)
Pilot 4 (+12)
Sense Motive 4 (+12)
Stealth 4 (+12)
Distract [Bluff]
Improved Initiative 1
Improved Trick
Inventor
Luck 1
Equipment 5 [Amazing Flyer; Cell Phone, Electronics Kit, Laptop Computer]
Powers: Leaping 1 [Running Jump: 40 ft., Standing Jump: 20 ft., High Jump: 10 ft.]
Speed 1 [10 mph, 88 ft./rnd]
Super-Strength 1 [Heavy Load: 3.2k lbs]
Combat: Attack +10 [Unarmed DC 25], Defense +10, Init +12
Saves: Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Reflex +8, Will +8
Description: Samantha Nylund was always athletic, as good on the soccer field as she was in a classroom, but the treatments of Doctor Santiago made her superhumanly fit. Taller than she used to be, athletically and powerfully built, Sam is also beautiful like a movie star with a megawatt smile and an easygoing manner. She has shoulder length black hair and brilliant gray eyes. Besides her physicality, her intelligence and senses were also sharpened to a superhuman level, and she has a general awareness and emotional equilibrium that can only be described as superhuman, too. She dresses fashionably, in well-tailored clothes that allow freedom of movement on top of looking good. When operating in an official capacity as “Ms. Amazing,” Sam wears a skintight uniform in black and pink, equipped with knee and elbow pads, sturdy boots with a flexible ankle, and fingerless gloves.
Amazing Flyer (Stealth Attack Helicopter)
Sam’s pet project is a slightly illegally modified helicopter, a four-seat flier painted black with pink highlights. Sam has tweaked it using “whisper” technology to make the helicopter much quieter than a normal one, which allows for some measure of stealth flying in the city.
STR: 35 (+12), Toughness: +10, Defense: -2, Size: Huge
Features: Alarm 1, Communications, Computer, Navigation System 1, Remote Control
Powers: Flight 6 [500 mph, 4400 ft./rnd; Subtle 1]

Under the Hood
Although essentially the same build, I tried to give Mr. Amazing and Ms. Amazing different specialties. Ms. Amazing is the tech-head, the mechanic, and the pilot. Mr. Amazing is the driver and the better detective. She's the scientist, he's the lawyer. She's the more pragmatic one, he's a bit goofier and more prone to embracing the absurdity of being a superhero. She's the one who figures out how to build all the weird ideas he comes up with to fight crime.

These two originally had different civilian names, but I never really liked the ones I first chose. Not to get too inside baseball, but the names they now have are based on two of my oldest characters (we're talking characters I originally came up with in kindergarten) and that made them much more fun for me. They've became Earth-Empire City's versions of those characters, something that literally no one else in the world would care about, but which tickles me to no end.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:35 am

Doctor S, Dr. Sybaris Santiago
Noted biochemist, inventor, and all-around genius, Santiago made a name in gene therapy and with a professorship at a prominent west coast school. He earned a government grant for research in gene therapy to cure diseases and strengthen the human immune system that garnered the interest of a black book organization within the US government. They approached him with the opportunity to develop a super-soldier for the nation, using the work of Project: Grasshopper as a jump-off point. But three years into the project, an organizational shake-up left Santiago without any patrons. He decided to continue his work on his own time, experimenting on his students without their consent or knowledge. Most of them sickened and dropped out, and a few of them died. Two of them were transformed by the process and eventually learned of Santiago’s involvement. He fled rather than face the authorities. Forced underground, he has continued his work and even subjected himself to a version of the process, enhancing his physical abilities to peak human levels.

Under an assumed name and identity, Santiago began working for the Los Dorados pharmaceuticals company, GeneSystems, on a top secret project that utilized his experiments in human enhancement. While his employers were aware of his true identity, they mistakenly believed that they knew his true intentions as well. In secret, Santiago worked on the device that would become known as the Genesys Bomb. He was able to detonate the Genesys Bomb in downtown Los Dorados before the Amazings could apprehend him. The full effect of his actions are yet to be seen, but obviously the city is now home to a much larger population of superhumans.

Still brilliant, but a little mad, Santiago is apparently obsessed with engendering or creating the next step in human evolution. He wants to empower an entire generation of human beings with superhuman powers, and lead the human race into a glorious future where nothing is forbidden and everything is permitted.
PL: 11
Abilities: STR: 30 (+10) DEX: 26 (+8) CON: 30 (+10) INT: 34 (+12) WIS: 26 (+8) CHR: 22 (+6)
Skills: Bluff 4 (+10)
Craft: Chemical 8 (+20)
Craft: Electronic 8 (+20)
Craft: Mechanical 8 (+20)
Gather Information 4 (+10)
Intimidate 4 (+10)
Knowledge: Behavioral Science 4 (+16)
Knowledge: Life Sciences 12 (+24)
Knowledge: Physical Sciences 8 (+20)
Knowledge: Technology 12 (+24)
Medicine 8 (+16)
Notice 4 (+12)
Sense Motive 4 (+12)
Feats: Assessment
Defensive Attack
Defensive Roll 2
Diehard
Eidetic Memory
Fascinate [Diplomacy]
Improvised Tools
Inventor
Power Attack
Rapid Healing
Well-Informed
Equipment 8 [Domination Disks, S-Wand]
Powers: Leaping 2 [Running Jump: 100 ft., Standing Jump: 50 ft., High Jump: 25 ft.]
Speed 2 [25 mph, 220 ft./rnd]
Quickness 4 [x25; Mental Only]
“Domination Disks” Mind Control 8 [Ranged]
“S-Wand” Stun 10 [Ranged]
Combat: Attack +10 [Unarmed DC 25, Mind Control DC 18, Stun DC 20], Defense +10, Init +8
Saves: Toughness +10/+12, Fortitude +14, Reflex +12, Will +12
Description: Before undergoing his own gene therapy, Sybaris Santiago was below average height, thin and sickly, with weak eyes and a perennial cough. Prematurely bald, he had taken to shaving his head, and his misshapen skull made him look like some kind of atavistic throwback, although it could not conceal his obvious and sensational intelligence. That intelligence gave him the wherewithal to resculpt his own body, into a superhuman and superhealthy form that is tall, athletically muscled, and rather attractive. He is still bald, but he wears it well, accented with saturnine eyebrows, an infectious smile, and a cleft chin. Santiago is now superhumanly strong, fast, and durable, with superhuman senses that miss little. He can leap great distances or run faster than an Olympic athlete.

Santiago has a weakness for rich clothing, and likes to wear exquisitely tailored suits that allow for the full range of movement while still looking expensive and stylish.

His greatest asset, beyond his physical abilities, is his mental acuity. Sybaris Santiago is one of the smartest human beings on the planet, with a highly trained and focused mind that is familiar with science and technology. He has created few technological items to assist him in his endeavors. Domination Disks are tiny bits of round metal and circuitry that, when placed at the base of a person’s neck, allow Santiago to control their minds and actions. The S-Wand is his personal weapon, a foot long rod of ceramics and electronics that can emit an “encephalo-ray” which can stagger or knock-out a person. Santiago prefers non-lethal weapons.

Under the Hood
Sort of a combination Doctor Sivana and Lex Luthor, Santiago is a creepy genius with a perfect body, a brilliant but diseased mind, and a desire to make as many people superhuman as possible. He's not a killer - his gadgets are all non-lethal - but it also doesn't distress him too much if his experiments lead to death and destruction. Such is the price of progress, of Science!, of testing limits and breaking boundaries.

He comes ready made with arch-enemies and a crusade. Because of his abilities and his focus, he's one of the few criminals in Los Dorados who operates outside of the Skull's purview. Dr. S has an entirely different agenda. He's not trying to get rich and live the good life, although his endeavors do require vast amounts of wealth, but rather to uplift humanity and force it into its next evolutionary leap.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Los Dorados [The Tongs]

Post by Yojimbo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:09 am

The Tongs
There are about a hundred distinct Vietnamese gangs within Los Dorados proper. The most powerful and well-regarded of these is the Ghost Face Tong. They operate out of Brier Hill on the east side of the city, in the heart of “Little Saigon.” The Ghost Face Tong runs a string of chop shops, regularly supplied with stolen cars by the Street Rats, as well as an illegal street racing circuit, gambling dens, brothels, drugs, and a host of other crimes. They are virtually the law in Brier Hill, and even the LDPD is loath to interfere in the daily activities of Little Saigon. Meanwhile, the locals, especially recent immigrants, turn to the Ghost Face Tong for protection and the redress of wrongs.

Thanks to the Genesys Bomb, the Ghost Faces now have super powered agents of their own, which has only increased their standing in the underworld and the threat they represent to the city.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:14 am

Street Rats
The Street Rats make up the bulk of the Ghost Face Tong, thugs and criminals who handle the day to day operations of the tong. Mostly they boost cars or modify them at one of the various chop shops the tong has scattered around the city. They also staff the scrapyard that Quan Huynh owns and keep inquisitive eyes out of the tong’s business.
PL: 3
Abilities: STR: 14 (+2) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: 14 (+2) INT: 10 (-) WIS: 10 (-) CHR: 12 (+1)
Skills: Bluff 4 (+5)
Climb 4 (+6)
Disable Device 4
Drive 4 (+6)
Intimidate 4 (+5)
Knowledge: Streetwise 4
Stealth 4 (+6)
Feats: Equipment 2 [Knife, Light Pistol, Leather Jacket]
Combat: Attack +3 [Knife DC 18, Light Pistol DC 18], Defense +3, Init +2
Saves: Toughness +2/+3, Fortitude +2, Reflex +2, Will +0
Description: Predominantly Vietnamese, the Street Rats also include individuals from a number of Southeast Asian ethnicities. They dress in gang colors, display prominent tattoos, and swagger around Little Saigon like they rule the place, which in effect they do. Body armor is usually limited to leather jackets, and they are rarely more heavily armed than with a knife and a 9mm pistol, but they can get heavier ordnance when Huynh deems it necessary.

Under the Hood
These guys are the backbone of the Tongs. I could probably have just used the Thug template from the main book, but I have a disease that requires I stat up every bloody thing whether its needed or not.

The Street Rats are not going to give any superhero pause, but that doesn't change the fact that the gangs are made up of a lot of these guys.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:33 am

Gram, Linwood Ngo
Linwood and his sister Heather are second generation Vietnamese, but they were raised very traditionally within Los Dorados’ slum-neighborhood of Little Saigon. Their parents owned a convenience store, but they didn’t go to the bank for loans or assistance, instead turning to the Ghost Face Tong. Linwood, given what his parents believed a “normal, American name,” learned about different ways of life at school and from his friends, but the realities of the Ngo’s situation confined him from ever achieving any of those. The Street Rats adopted Linwood when he was just fourteen, and he wasn’t given much of a choice about the matter.

He learned his trade quickly, though, and even before he could legally drive he was one of the best car thieves in his cell. By eighteen, he had been in and out of juvie, and whatever potential he had once had to be a normal, well-adjusted member of society was long gone. He still dreamed of a life beyond crime, but the possibility of going to college or getting out of Los Dorados became increasingly remote. Lin flirted with the idea of joining the army to escape the tong, but he knew that would leave his aging parents and his little sister to their tender mercies.

So he stayed, out of obligation and a slowly dying hope that he could somehow make things better for himself and his family. But then the Genesys Bomb went off, and everything changed. Linwood found himself transformed, given immense power by a quirk of fate, power enough to finally forge his own destiny – but he is still trapped. Trapped by his parents’ debts, trapped by his sister’s transformation and her place in the organization, and trapped by the subtle but pointed threats from Vinnie Crowbar and Quan Huynh himself about what might happen to the people Lin cares about if he tries to do anything but what the tong tells him to do.

The situation cannot stand. As Lin becomes more accomplished with his mutant powers and the tong makes more and more demands of him, a breaking point will come. So far, Lin hasn’t come up with a scenario where everyone doesn’t end up dead.
Abilities: STR: 10 (-) DEX: 16 (+3) CON: 14 (+2) INT: 14 (+2) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 16 (+3)
Skills: Bluff 4 (+7)
Concentration 8 (+10)
Diplomacy 4 (+7)
Disable Device 8 (+10)
Gather Information 4 (+7)
Knowledge: Streetwise 4 (+6)
Notice 4 (+6)
Search 4 (+6)
Sleight of Hand 4 (+7)
Stealth 8 (+11)
Bank Shot 1
Endurance 1
Evasion 2
Improved Initiative 1
Improved Ranged Disarm
Improved Sunder
Low Profile
Luck 1
Move-by Action
Power Attack
Precise Shot 1
Taunt
Powers: Enhanced Trait 2 [Environmental Adaptation (High Gravity), Environmental Adaptation (Low Gravity)]

Flight 3 [50 mph, 440 ft./rnd; Platform]
  • AP: Leaping 3 [Running Jump: 100 ft., Standing Jump: 50 ft., High Jump: 25 ft.]
Force Field 10 [Impervious]

Gravity Control 12 [Radius: 60 ft., Strength: 60, Force: 51.2 tons]
  • AP: Blast 12
  • AP: Deflect 8 [All Ranged Attacks]
  • AP: Environmental Control 12 [High Gravity (25000 ft)]
  • AP: Environmental Control 12 [Low Gravity (2500 ft)]
  • AP: Move Object 12 [Strength: 60, Carry: 17 tons/34 tons/51.2 tons/102.4 tons]
  • AP: Super-Strength 12 [Heavy Load: 204.8 tons, Limited (Lifting Only)]
Combat: Attack +8 [Blast DC27], Defense +8, Init +7
Saves: Toughness +2/+12, Fortitude +8, Reflex +9, Will +8
Description: Linwood is a slightly built, almost too-thin young Vietnamese American man who shaves the sides of his head and grows his straight black hair long on the top of his head, usually hiding it beneath a backwards Miners baseball cap. He favors round mirrored shades in daylight hours. His ears have multiple piercings and his back and shoulders are tattooed with gang symbols. He usually wears jeans, a dark t-shirt, and red chucks, often accenting with a jean vest. Since the Genesys Bomb, Lin has possessed immense powers over one of the fundamental forces of the universe: gravity itself. As Gram he can increase or reverse gravity in a focused area, or he can alter the gravity more subtly in a larger area, mimicking the light gravity of Earth’s Moon or the heavy gravity of Jupiter over a massive area. He can generate beams of destructive gravitic force or use heavy or low gravity fields around himself to ward off bullets, thrown knives, or even energy blasts, although an omnipresent gravity field around himself also helps protect him from all attacks. By controlling varied gravity fields, he can also manipulate objects remotely, even picking up and moving something that weighs as much as a hundred tons. If he closes that distance and uses his own muscle power, he can negate the gravity of a single object massing up to two hundred tons, allowing him to basically lift and move it with his bare hands. Gram can fly at speed atop an object he is remotely manipulating with gravity fields, anything from a car to a metal sheet, although he usually just uses a manhole cover. If he’s not flying, he can use his control over gravity to make it look as though he is leaping incredible distances. The full extent of his abilities are unknown, and Lin is equally thrilled and terrified of what he can do. He is careful to keep his full repertoire of tricks a secret, for fear of what Huynh might make him do.

Under the Hood
Gram is another old idea I have reworked. I originally conceived him as a member of Team Tomorrow in Aberrant, when that was my superhero game of choice. There wasn't much to him then, but he had his ethnicity, his fashion sense, and his gravity powers. I'm not sure I even got around to statting him up (and I made a LOT of characters for Aberrant), but he had a good enough hook that I kept him around in the back of my head.

With Evening and Mech I'd established that Los Dorados had a Vietnamese population, so when I started fleshing out the gangs in the city who worked for the Skulls, it was easy enough to make one of the gangs Vietnamese as well. Then I had this other Vietnamese superhero I wasn't doing anything with, and I thought I'd add him to the gang to give them some firepower. Originally I figured I would just evil him up and make him a bad guy instead of a good guy, but as I started fleshing out Gram, the heroic persona began to shine through anyway. Still, he's in a difficult place. He's a criminal, embroiled deeply in a life of crime, but he has hopes and aspirations of being something more. All it will take is the right bit of inspiration, the right opportunity, for Gram to switch sides and make a go at the straight and narrow.

The whole situation with his sister complicates things a bit, though.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:38 am

Hue (Orchid), Heather Ngo
Heather and her brother Linwood are second generation Vietnamese, but they were raised very traditionally within Los Dorados’ slum-neighborhood of Little Saigon. Their parents owned a convenience store, but they didn’t go to the bank for loans or assistance, instead turning to the Ghost Face Tong. As the younger sibling and only daughter, different expectations were laid upon Heather than Linwood. In addition, Linwood looked out for her and protected her from the Street Rats and other gangs. Heather was fully cognizant and appreciative of her brother’s attempts to look out for her, and she idolized him while growing up.

At the same time, Heather never fully realized the extent of the trouble that Linwood got into, nor just how deeply aligned with the Ghost Face Tong he actually became, nor the full details of his criminal career. She just knew that Lin pulled jobs for them, and as a consequence she and her parents and their store never had any problems. So Heather had time to practice gymnastics, go to school, study hard, and graduate with a chance to go to college.

But that changed when the Genesys Bomb unleashed itself on the city. Heather and her brother were among the few to develop superhuman abilities. At that point, Linwood couldn’t protect her any further.

Quan Huynh offered Heather a place in the organization beside her brother. She was reluctant initially, but Huynh convinced her through a combination of his charm, her naiveté, and simple greed. Heather signed on with the tong. Huynh is mostly keeping Heather in reserve, which puts more pressure on Linwood to do jobs, but sees the young girl as part of a new core of mutant soldiers that will give the Ghost Face Tong the edge it needs to hold its territory in the new Los Dorados.
Abilities: STR: 10 (-) DEX: 14/30 (+2/+10) CON: 14 (+2) INT: 10 (-) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 12 (+1)
Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+18)
Bluff 4 (+5)
Drive 4 (+14)
Knowledge: Streetwise 4
Notice 4 (+6)
Sense Motive 4 (+6)
Stealth 8 (+18)
Acrobatic Bluff
Ambidexterity
Evasion 2
Improved Initiative 1
Improved Trick
Monkey Climber
Taunt
Teamwork 1
Powers: Enhanced DEX 16

“Orchid Tendrils” Container, Passive 10
Elongation 3 [25 ft., +3 Escape & Grapple; Projection]
Force Field 8
Snare 10 [Split Attack]
Strike 8 [Accurate]
Super-Movement 3 [Swinging, Wall-Crawling 2 (Full Speed)]

Combat: Attack +10 [Snare DC 20, Strike +12 DC 23, Unarmed DC 15], Defense +10, Init +14
Saves: Toughness +2/+10, Fortitude +6, Reflex +12, Will +6
Description: Heather Ngo is a slight, slim young Vietnamese American woman with short black hair that she dyes with red streaks and a taste for black clothing and t-shirts with leftist political slogans. Always a gifted gymnast, Heather has seen her above-average agility become superhuman, boosting her flexibility and reaction time greatly. Her most spectacular power is the ability to generate thick green tendrils from her hands and forearms, which can extend outward like powerful whips to a full length of about twenty-five feet. The tendrils end in flower shaped and flexible hands, which can strike with incredible power. Using the tendrils and their grasping hands, Heather can climb walls or swing quickly over distances. The tendrils can also be used to wrap around and entrap opponents. By swirling the tendrils around her, Heather also creates a protective barrier between herself and attackers.

Under the Hood
Orchid is the key to the Ghost Face Tong. She is what keeps Gram in check, keeps him following orders. She finds it all a grand game and enjoys the respect of the gang and the doting grandfatherly attention of Huynh. If Gram can get her to see how bad things really are and convince her to get out of town - and if he can get enough cash together to get the rest of his family out - then he can put the Tong behind him and maybe make something of himself. But with Heather under Huynh's thumb, Gram's options are limited.

Heather herself is a naive young girl caught up in the glamour of being a superhuman and enjoying going from being a nobody to being a very important somebody. At heart she's a good kid, but Huynh is an insidious influence. He's had a lot of experience manipulating people and ruining lives, and he sees the Ngo kids as his meal ticket. He's not going to let either of them go easily. Of course, what Heather might do once the scales fall from her eyes is an open question.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:43 am

Vinnie Crowbar, Vien Van
Vien Van is an old campaigner, a dedicated gangster who has been pulling jobs since he was twelve years old. That was thirty years ago, and although Vien is neither as spry nor as crazy as he used to be, he is still smart and cunning and plenty ruthless.

Vien is the top legbreaker for the Ghost Face Tong and has been for over a decade, working his way up through the ranks over the years. He started as a courier, then a dealer, then a thug. He always had a talent for violence, but he didn’t earn his streetname until he was twenty-two and beat a man to death with a crowbar. He’s been Vinnie Crowbar ever since, and canny people know to give him a wide berth and never look him in the eye.

Vien is Huynh’s right hand. He looks out for the old man’s interests, keeps the tong running smoothly, quashes rebellion and independent thought with equal fervor, and murders anyone who crosses the tong with casual brutality.
PL: 6
Abilities: STR: 14 (+2) DEX: 16 (+3) CON: 14 (+2) INT: 12 (+1) WIS: 12 (+1) CHR: 14 (+2)
Skills: Bluff 4 (+6)
Climb 4 (+6)
Disable Device 8 (+9)
Drive 8 (+11)
Gather Information 4 (+6)
Intimidate 8 (+10)
Knowledge: Streetwise 8 (+9)
Language 1 [English]
Notice 4 (+5)
Search 4 (+5)
Sense Motive 4 (+5)
Stealth 4 (+7)
Feats: Attack Focus: Ranged 2
Connected
Contacts
Cult Hero [Ghost Face Tong]
Defensive Roll 2
Eyes in the Back of the Head
Improved Initiative 1
Power Attack
Quick Draw 1
Sniper
Equipment 10 [Burglar’s Kit, Cell Phone, Cleaner’s Kit, Crowbar, First Aid Kit, Vehicle: Sports Car; Custom Glock Pistol (Suppressor), Custom Heavy Pistol (Armor Piercing Ammunition), Custom Submachine Gun (Flash Suppressor, Suppressor), Undercover Shirt]
Powers: “Crowbar” Strike 3 [Mighty]
Combat: Attack +6, Ranged +8 [Glock DC 18, Heavy Pistol DC 19, Submachine Gun DC 19, Strike DC 20, Unarmed DC 17], Defense +6, Init +7
Saves: Toughness +2/+6, Fortitude +6, Reflex +7, Will +5
Description: Vinnie Crowbar is a middle-aged Vietnamese American man with dark skin and neatly trimmed hair. He almost always wears mirrored aviator sunglasses, unless it is absolutely too dark to do so. A bit of a clothes horse, he is always dressed to the nines and impeccably arranged. Nothing but the best for Vinnie Crowbar. He wears easily hidden body armor at all times, and usually has a couple of pistols close to hand. One with a suppressor for assassinations, and another loaded with Teflon coated bullets for armor piercing. When he’s expecting serious trouble, Vinnie will grab the Heckler & Koch submachine gun he keeps in the trunk of his Porsche. If he’s feeling particularly vicious, he may also take his crowbar with him. The crowbar is three feet of tempered steel, with a hook at one end and a piercing tooth at the other. Vinnie keeps it sharpened and weighted for pure murder.

Under the Hood
Vinnie is just a thug. He's another tough guy who is no match for the average superhero - Fox or Vixen would run circles around this guy - but he's also more than a match for the average police officer. Vinnie is an elite killer, the kind of guy who had the run of the city before the superhumans showed up, and he's not yet aware of how obsolete he is. That makes him dangerous.

MacynSnow

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: Los Dorados [The Tongs]

Post by MacynSnow » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:36 pm

I really like the idea of The Tong in LD,Skeletor could always use some "friendly competition" :D I was always a fan of Big Trouble in Little China and loved Carpenter's take on Oriental Myth......You ARE going to have an Egg Shin and/or Jack Burton involved here,right? You already got a Wang Chi in Gram.......

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:45 pm

MacynSnow wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:36 pm
I really like the idea of The Tong in LD,Skeletor could always use some "friendly competition" :D I was always a fan of Big Trouble in Little China and loved Carpenter's take on Oriental Myth......You ARE going to have an Egg Shin and/or Jack Burton involved here,right? You already got a Wang Chi in Gram.......
Thanks!

I think it will be more clear in the next entry, but the Tongs work for the Skull. All the "official" gangs on LD owe him fealty, but none of them are too happy about that.

There's no mystic stuff in this setting, so I steered clear of any Big Trouble in Little China material, although that's a favorite movie of mine, too. Did you know that Jack Burton is a member of the Blue Blazer Society from the Buckaroo Banzai movie? "Big Trouble" is kind of an unofficial sequel to that. If only "universes" were big in 80s films like they are now.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:53 pm

Quan Huynh
Quan Huynh was a punk kid and budding criminal already when Saigon fell. In the years that followed, Huynh managed to get himself out of Vietnam and to the US. He settled in Los Dorados after contacting some of his old partners in crime, who set him up with a place to live and a steady source of income. Huynh bided his time, made the right connections, and always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. This took careful planning, but Huynh had always been both smart and patient. Inside of twenty years he was running the Ghost Face Tong himself, the guy giving orders instead of taking them.

Things worked out pretty well for a few years. With his right hand man Vinnie Crowbar, Huynh managed to run a very profitable organization. People looked up to him, people feared him, and people knew he was the kind of guy who could get things done. Also, the kind of guy no one trifled with unless they wanted to wake up with a crowbar imbedded in their forehead. But then Hector Diaz breezed into town and began systematically taking over. Huynh was smart and ruthless, but Diaz was smarter and more ruthless. Diaz also had the wherewithal to make use of mutants and high-grade weaponry smuggled in from Mexico.

After a few bloody engagements in which the Tong took the worst of it, Huynh was forced to knuckle under and hand his organization over to Diaz. In a moment of magnanimity, Diaz allowed Huynh to stay on as nominal head of the Tong. It was a bitter pill to swallow. But Huynh stayed alive, maintained some of his resources, and began to plan his revenge.

It’s been a few years now, and while the Ghost Face Tong’s fortunes have never been better, Huynh still wants to get back at Diaz. The Genesys Bomb has handed him the means to do so: two Vietnamese American mutants, one of whom was already a soldier in the Tong when he was transformed. They will be the foundation of the force that Huynh will use to take back his life, his property, and his city.
PL: 5
Abilities: STR: 12 (+1) DEX: 10 (-) CON: 16 (+3) INT: 16 (+3) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 14 (+2)
Skills: Bluff 8 (+10)
Diplomacy 8 (+10)
Gather Information 4 (+6)
Intimidate 8 (+10)
Investigate 4 (+7)
Knowledge: Business 8 (+11)
Knowledge: Civics 4 (+7)
Knowledge: Current Events 8 (+11)
Knowledge: Streetwise 8 (+11)
Language 1 [English]
Notice 8 (+10)
Search 4 (+7)
Sense Motive 4 (+6)
Feats: Assessment
Connected
Contacts
Precise Shot 2
Equipment 2 [Cell Phone, Light Pistol, Undercover Shirt]
Combat: Attack +5 [Light Pistol DC 18, Unarmed DC 16], Defense +5, Init +0
Saves: Toughness +3/+5, Fortitude +8, Reflex +5, Will +8
Description: A gray haired, grandfatherly looking figure who wears a sweater even on the hottest day of the year, Quan Huynh likes to present himself as a retired old man who putters about his house, rolls his own cigarettes, and likes to play chess down at the rec center. But behind his light sensitive spectacles is one of the most conniving, cold-blooded, and cunning minds in Los Dorados. He is usually accompanied by a few Street Rats or Vinnie Crowbar, although these days he keeps Orchid close by wherever he goes.

Under the Hood
I think I may make use of the Evil Grandfather archetype a little too much - there's another one in the Maksimov gang coming up - but I was watching Ken Burns' documentary on the Vietnam War while I was making these guys, and I couldn't resist having Quan Huynh come from that era, even if he was a young punk at the time. This necessitates making him a senior citizen now. That might explain how the Skull got over on him though, being younger and meaner, but Huynh is a thorough son of a bitch himself and he doesn't lose easy. Now that he has his own metahumans, he's planning to take back his gang's autonomy and crush the Skull in the bargain. Maybe take over the Skull's organization himself, although that's a check that Huynh's body can't cash. It won't stop him from trying, though.

With the Fox and the new superhumans in the city, as well as the new gangs popping up like the Zoo Crew and Cibola's gang, the time is ripe for Huynh to make his move. The Skull's focus is divided (or so Huynh thinks) and his forces are weakened dealing with the Fox and other heroes. Once all the pieces are in place, you can bet that Huynh will start a gang war which may very well take the city apart.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:19 pm

Yojimbo wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:45 pm
MacynSnow wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:36 pm
Thanks!

I think it will be more clear in the next entry, but the Tongs work for the Skull. All the "official" gangs on LD owe him fealty, but none of them are too happy about that.

There's no mystic stuff in this setting, so I steered clear of any Big Trouble in Little China material, although that's a favorite movie of mine, too. Did you know that Jack Burton is a member of the Blue Blazer Society from the Buckaroo Banzai movie? "Big Trouble" is kind of an unofficial sequel to that. If only "universes" were big in 80s films like they are now.
Just because you don't have mystic stuff doesn't mean you can't have the Archtypes......^_^.....and i actually didn't know that about Burton.Bet you didn't know the guy that played Egg Shin tried to get Kurt Russell(Jack Burton) to play Val in the Tremors movie?

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:23 pm

MacynSnow wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:19 pm
Just because you don't have mystic stuff doesn't mean you can't have the Archtypes......^_^.....and i actually didn't know that about Burton.Bet you didn't know the guy that played Egg Shin tried to get Kurt Russell(Jack Burton) to play Val in the Tremors movie?
I did not know that. That would have made that movie 110% better, which I would have thought impossible to do.

Check this space! I caved. One Jack Burton type coming right up, although maybe not in the form you'd expect.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:38 pm

Honey Brown
All Honey wanted to do when she was a kid was sing. But when her mutant abilities manifested in her teenage years, that dream was put on hold. It took her a long while before she could even talk without shattering anyone’s eardrums. Singing again took a lot more practice. In the meantime, she found a way to make ends meet by taking up trucking. Her uncle helped her get her the loan for her first truck, but she is now the sole owner of her rig, the Torch Song Express.

The solitude of the open road suits her. While she still maintains a residence in Los Dorados, she spends most of her time crossing the country delivering goods. On occasion, she has done some smuggling, but she’s very careful not to learn what she’s carrying and not to carry anything too big or noticeable. She likes the money and isn’t afraid of the risk of getting caught, but she doesn’t fancy becoming a career criminal.

Now that she has her voice under control, Honey has started doing open mic nights and thinking about her next step. Try to become a Youtube sensation or build a studio in her house and make an album?
Abilities: STR: 14 (+2) DEX: 18 (+4) CON: 16 (+3) INT: 14 (+2) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 16 (+3)
Skills: Bluff 4 (+7)
Craft: Mechanical 4 (+6)
Diplomacy 8 (+11)
Drive 8 (+12)
Gather Information 4 (+7)
Intimidate 4 (+7)
Knowledge: Streetwise 8 (+10)
Notice 4 (+6)
Perform: Singing 8 (+11)
Sense Motive 4 (+6)
Feats: Beautiful Voice [Perform (Singing)]
Combat Driver [Ground]
Defensive Roll 4
Hardy
Improved Initiative 1
Improvised Weapons 4
Luck 1
Power Attack
Tough 3
Well-Informed
Equipment 5 [Cell Phone, First Aid Kit, GPS Receiver, Multi-Tool, Toolkit (Basic), Vehicle: Torch Song Express]
Powers: Concealment 2 [All Aural Senses]

"The Voice" Sonic Control 10
  • AP: “Shout” Blast 10
  • AP: “Big Shout” Blast 10 [Area (Cone), Range (Touch)]
  • AP: “Roar” Move Object 10 [Limited Direction (Away)]
  • AP: “Sonic Punch” Strike 8 [Mighty]
Combat: Attack +10 [Blast DC 25, Improvised Weapons DC 21, Sonic Control DC 20, Strike DC 25, Unarmed DC 17], Defense +10, Init +8
Saves: Toughness +6/+10, Fortitude +6, Reflex +8, Will +8
Description: Honey is a tall and athletically built African American woman. She wears her long hair in braids for the most part, usually tying them up when driving but letting them hang loose around her shoulders when on stage. Her typical dress is a red leather jacket, blue jeans, and workboots, but she likes to dress up when clubbing. She’s at ease in the rough and tumble world of truckers or in the showy, artificial world of nightclubs, and she can take a punch or throw one with equal skill. Over the years she’s learned how to turn almost anything into a serviceable weapon; a lot of people aren’t impressed when a pretty black woman drives a rig into town. Her mutant ability is based around her voice. The power first manifested as a sonic boom could deafen anyone around her, but over the years as she’s practiced with it and forced herself to gain mastery over her power, she’s learned a few other tricks. She’s developed a focused shout that can punch a hole through steel plate, or a wider angle big shout that can knock a crowd a people on their butts. With a roar, she can push anything up to and equally heavy as a truck away from her just with sound waves. She can also focus her voice to lend punching power to her fists, or use her power to make all of the sounds she makes completely disappear.
Torch Song Express (Semi)
Honey drives a modified hybrid Semi truck with an orange and gold paint job with chrome accents. The doors are emblazoned with the truck’s name and the image of a flaming torch. Honey has tweaked its performance and options, even providing it a few weapon systems (or at least, nuisance systems) for when things go pear shaped.
STR: 45 (+17), Toughness: +11, Defense: -4, Size: Gargantuan
Features: Alarm 1, Caltrops, Hidden Compartments 2, Navigation System 1, Nitro Injectors, Off Road Movement, Oil Slick, Remote Control, Smokescreen, Tire Inflators
Powers: Speed 5 [250 mph, 2200 ft./rnd]

Under the Hood
MacynSnow asked for a "Jack Burton" type, so here she is. A trucker with a heart of gold, Honey is likely to get herself in trouble doing some kind of smuggling job and need help extricating herself. She's neither hero nor villain, but she's essentially a good person who will do the right thing when push comes to shove. The singing and performing are there to provide some flavor, and maybe have her appear in scenes that you wouldn't normally expect a tough as nails trucker. She probably didn't need mutant powers, but I figure anyone who wants to stick around in Los Dorados needs some kind of advantage, and her sonic powers give her that advantage. But like Black Canary, she uses her Voice as a last resort, preferring to settle disputes with words or a chair leg instead.

One of the themes of Los Dorados is diversity. I tried to make a setting where all the principal characters are not pasty white dudes, but as I looked around while posting the last few weeks, I realized I had no black women in the setting. That was an oversight on my part. Honey Brown is an attempt to correct that, and provide an archetype that was previously missing. She's a rogue element, an occasional presence in the city because her profession often takes her far afield, but she can also conceivably be working with any number of factions. Maybe she's smuggling something for the Tongs, maybe she's helping Cobra take down some drug dealers because her nephew is involved. And so on.