The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [On the Trail of the Pumpkin King]

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Titania, Harry Nimbus]

Post by Yojimbo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:57 am

Titania, Queen of Fable
Since the death of Oberon and the collapse of the Faerie Court in England, Titania has wandered the lands of mortal men. She has not liked what she has seen, and now she has returned to England, intending to use her power and connections to set right some things that she sees as wrong. A powerful wizard and manipulator of reality, Titania wishes to restore the Faerie Court and return the magical beings of the isles to their proper place as rulers. Acclimated by long centuries of exposure to iron and other metals, she is no longer vulnerable to humanity’s greatest weapons. She seeks a consort, someone worthy of replacing her lost Oberon, and she wants to overthrow the queen, enslave humanity, and shatter the Brotherhood of Steam. While she no longer commands the faerie folk as she once did, she still wears her ancient crown and demands and receives the respect, honor, and loyalty of any faerie she encounters. Many are those who would see the glory days returned, and look to Titania to lead them. Her alliance with Idris Awbrey is one of convenience; she does not know his true goal, but she does not believe that it coincides with her own. She will betray him when she must, but until then, he and his petty league will help serve her purposes.
PL: 10
Abilities: STR: 14 (+2) DEX: 10 (-) CON: 14 (+2) INT: 14 (+2) WIS: 18 (+4) CHR: 20 (+5)
Skills: Bluff 4 (+9)
Concentration 4 (+8)
Disguise 4 (+9)
Intimidate 8 (+13)
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 12 (+14)
Notice 4 (+8)
Sense Motive 4 (+8)
Feats: Accurate Attack
Attractive 1
Benefit 5 [Queen of Fable]
Improved Critical 1 [Mystic Blast]
Improved Initiative 1
Leadership
Luck 1
Power Attack
Quick Change
Ritualist
Powers: “Titania’s Crown” Device 3 [Hard to Lose]
Immunity 5 [Critical Hits, Disease, Uncommon Descriptor: Faerie Magic]
Protection 10

Immunity 2 [Aging, Poison]

Magic 12 [Mystic Blast]
  • AP: Confuse 10
  • AP: Deflect 8 [All Ranged Attacks; Reflection]
  • AP: Emotion Control 10
  • AP: Enhanced Ability [STR 20]
  • AP: ESP 8 [All Sense Types; Range: 2000 miles; Medium]
  • AP: Illusion 8 [All Sense Types; Phantasms]
  • AP: Mental Blast 12 [Mental Weapon]
  • AP: Mind Control 10
  • AP: Snare 12
  • AP: Stun 8 [Ranged]
  • AP: Telekinesis 8 [Damaging]
Combat: Attack +8 [Unarmed DC 14/27, Emotion Control DC 20, Illusion DC 18, Mind Control DC 20, Mystic Blast DC 27, Mental Weapon DC 27, Snare DC 22, Stun DC 18, Telekinesis DC 23], Defense +8, Init +4
Saves: Toughness +2/+12, Fortitude +8, Reflex +6, Will +10
Description: Cold and mercurial, beautiful as a sunrise and terrible as a moonless night, Titania is the queen of the faerie and a mass of contradictions. She resembles a human woman with an ageless face, possessed of unmatched beauty and an ethereal air. Her eyes, hair and complexion change with the seasons: gold in summer, amber in autumn, blue in winter, and green in spring. She wears clothes spun from spidersilk, dryad blossoms, gold and silver; elaborate gowns, capes, and jewelry of the finest make. Her most prized possession is her crown, a circle of witchwood strung with precious gems that glows with faerie lights. Her magic is powerful, accompanied by ghostly sounds and faerie lights. She has a mummer’s taste for dramatic gestures and speech, and must always be the center of attention wherever she goes.

Under the Hood
Not really at the height of her power - a thousand years ago she would have easily been a PL 14-15 - but still formidable, Titania has a lot of options, although she's hardly a powerhouse. She's probably the weakest link in the League, actually, not because she's a pushover, but because she'll betray Awbrey and the rest of them (probably taking Mr. Quick with her) at the earliest opportunity. I could probably given her some Minions, elf warriors or something, but the focus for the League is on the seven powerful figures at the heart of the organization.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Titania, Harry Nimbus]

Post by Yojimbo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:04 am

Harry Nimbus, the Indigo Man
An archaeologist and engineer, Harold Nimbus is a slight man with a lisp, brilliant but unstable, given to wild theories and strange conjectures. He is obsessed with the technology of the ancients, and worked tirelessly for over a decade in an attempt to locate the machines of the ancient Hyperboreans. He found what he was looking for in the remote peaks of the Himalayas, including several jars of the substance the Hyperboreans called vril, a liquid energy source that powered their fantastic machines. Returning to England, Harry distilled the substance and managed to create more of it in his lab. Further experimentation led to the creation of the device he calls his “channeling harness,” an exoskeleton flooded with vril that allows Harry to do an endless number of amazing things. Vril itself is a violet substance, and it glows with an indigo light when active, meaning Harry is encased in a shimmering indigo light when he activates his suit. He largely beggared himself with his researches, travels, and inventions, and Idris has promised him untold riches in return for his work in the League. Harry finds using the harness to destroy and kill strangely exhilarating, a chance to finally prove himself against all those who called him mad.

Harry is a member of the Stranger’s Club.
Abilities: STR: 10 (-) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: 10 (-) INT: 18 (+4) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 10 (-)
Skills: Concentration 8 (+10)
Craft: Chemical 8 (+12)
Craft: Mechanical 8 (+12)
Knowledge: History 4 (+8)
Knowledge: Physical Science 8 (+12)
Knowledge: Technology 8 (+12)
Notice 4 (+6)
Feats: Eidetic Memory
Improved Defense 1
Improved Initiative 1
Improvised Tools
Inventor
Powers: Device 18: Vril Channeling Harness, Hard to Lose
Absorption 4 [Energy, Healing; Personal]
Create Object 10 [Movable (Radius: 50 ft., Strength: 50, Force: 12.8 tons), Progression 3 (10x 50’ cubes), Stationary, Tether]
  • AP: Blast 10 [Autofire]
  • AP: Blast 10 [Cone Area, Range: Touch]
  • AP: Disintegration 8
  • AP: Nullify 10 [All Powers, Burst Area (50 ft. radius), Range: Touch]
  • AP: Snare 10 [Regenerating]
  • AP: Telekinesis 10 [Perception]
Flight 4 [100 mph, 880 ft./rnd]
Force Field 10 [Impervious]
Immunity 9 [Life Support]
Combat: Attack +10 [Create Objects DC 25, Blast DC 25, Disintegration DC 18, Snare DC 20], Defense +10, Init +6
Saves: Toughness +0/+10, Fortitude +3, Reflex +4, Will +4
Description: Thin and pale, with a receding hairline and thick glasses, Harry is unprepossessing at first glance. He wears dark suits and a bowler, with a narrow tie and a gray waistcoat. Under his mourning coat he wears the harness, a network of cables, panels, and straps that wrap around his midsection and extend along his limbs. The tubes that run through the harness are filled with vril, which begins to glow with an indigo light whenever the harness is activated. With it, Harry can fly, unleash destructive beams of indigo light, create shapes and objects as solid as stone but glowing purple, extend manipulating limbs of ectoplasmic energy, or unleash a burst of vril energy that negates extraordinary abilities all around him. The harness also protects Harry, keeping him safe from environmental changes or the need to breathe. A shimmering field of force further protects him from harm, virtually impenetrable to any but the most powerful artillery and explosives.

Under the Hood
Hyperboreans and vril I totally stole from Hellboy, although I think Mike Mignola got those from Madame Blavatsky or some other theosophist. I think they're suitably steampunky concepts, although I did tweak them considerably to get my League's Green Lantern up to snuff. I also get a kick out of the idea of this mousy little accountant looking dude having one of the most powerful weapons on the planet. Revenge of the Nerds, 19th century style.

Jabroniville

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Titania, Harry Nimbus]

Post by Jabroniville » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:44 am

Nice Evil Victorian Justice League you got going on here. I like Titania- I was expecting a "Wonder Woman" based off of the name, but then saw all the magical powers.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:27 pm

Jabroniville wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:44 am
Nice Evil Victorian Justice League you got going on here. I like Titania- I was expecting a "Wonder Woman" based off of the name, but then saw all the magical powers.
Thanks. Yeah, I don't see a queen sullying her hands with direct combat. That said, she can enhance her strength when necessary, and her magic can't be hindered by binding her hands, so she can snap out of Snares and the like when pressed.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:19 am

I like Harry Nimbus,as the tech he uses can be easily replicated into a Green Lantern Corps expy... :)

Davies

Post by Davies » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:00 pm

Yojimbo wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:04 am
Under the Hood
Hyperboreans and vril I totally stole from Hellboy, although I think Mike Mignola got those from Madame Blavatsky or some other theosophist.
Not quite, vril was the invention of author Edward Bulwer-Lytton, who died before theosophy really got going.

catsi563

Post by catsi563 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:50 pm

And Hyperboreans were around in RE Howards Conan Novels among other sources
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:33 pm

Davies wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:00 pm
Not quite, vril was the invention of author Edward Bulwer-Lytton, who died before theosophy really got going.
No kidding! That's pretty cool.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:34 pm

catsi563 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:50 pm
And Hyperboreans were around in RE Howards Conan Novels among other sources
"Hyperborea" comes to us from the ancient Greeks. Still, in the form I'm using them in this setting, I totally stole it from Hellboy.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Mr. Quick, Kraken]

Post by Yojimbo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:21 am

Mr. Quick
Since the collapse of the Faerie Court, the fey-blooded have dispersed out of the British Isles and across the world. Many have found homes in the wild places of the Americas, Africa, and Australia. But some lingered in their ancestral homeland, seeking to rebuild what they had lost, or simply to revenge themselves against humanity. One of the latter is the nameless Quickling that the droogs and thugs in London’s underground call “Mr. Quick.” A bloody handed killer, Mr. Quick makes a living as an assassin and legbreaker, but he’s not terribly smart or original, and he’s far too impatient to come up with plans on his own. He’s been lost, leaderless, and without direction, until Idris Awbrey came along and started giving him targets.
Abilities: STR: 16 (+3) DEX: 20 (+5) CON: 16 (+3) INT: 10 (-) WIS: 10 (-) CHR: 10 (-)
Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+9)
Climb 4 (+7)
Gather Information 4
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 4
Knowledge: Streetwise 4
Notice 4
Ride 4 (+9)
Sleight of Hand 4 (+9)
Stealth 8 (+13)
Survival 4
Swim 4 (+7)
Feats: Ambidexterity
Defensive Roll 2
Evasion 2
Move-By Action
Quick Draw 1
Uncanny Dodge 2 [Hearing]
Equipment 3 [Sword x 2, Undercover Vest]
Powers: Super Speed 8
Quickness 8 [500x speed]
Speed 8 [2500 mph, 22000 ft./rnd]
Rapid Attack
Rapid Fire
Running Punch
Wall Run
Water Run
Combat: Attack +12 [Unarmed DC 18, Sword DC 21, Running Punch DC 23 Rapid Fire DC 23], Defense +12, Init +37
Saves: Toughness +3/+8, Fortitude +5, Reflex +10, Will +5
Description: Slender and slightly built, but deceptively strong and tough, Mr. Quick stands just over five feet tall. He has a wild mane of golden hair that spills over and partially hides his narrow pointed ears. His amber eyes are cold, almost emotionless, and he has a narrow slash of a mouth. He is never still, always moving, tapping a foot or his fingers or zipping around a room. He carries two shortswords strapped to his back, and uses them to slice and dice whenever in combat. Mr. Quick is fond of the colors red and gold, and usually wears a scarlet suit.

Under the Hood
The Flash is such a 20th century idea that I found it difficult to translate him into the Victorian period. I'd already made one speedster, Jack Nimble, as a stand-in for Quicksilver, and I think I used up my one good idea there. Especially since I basically repeated it for Quick. I mean, Victorians didn't have flying machines (hot air balloons aside) and their highest technological achievement was the locomotive, which is pretty damn fast and pretty damn impressive. But I don't think they could even conceive of something that could move faster than the speed of sound. So there's not a lot to hang upon a guy who can run really really fast. There's always that guy from Baron Munchausen's stories, I guess, but I just went with another magical being, a faerie.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Mr. Quick, Kraken]

Post by Yojimbo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:26 am

Kraken
The being who calls himself Kraken was once a Norwegian sailor on a British merchant marine ship that went down in a squall off the Scottish coast. What happened next he does not recall, but he does remember waking up on the bottom of the sea floor, still alive, and apparently breathing quite normally. When he swam to the surface and pulled himself up onto dry land, he discovered that his flesh had turned dense and blue, that he had an anchor chain wrapped around his right hand, and he could summon aquatic creatures to his side. He had been transformed into some kind of sea spirit or monster, and the shock of it drove him quite mad for some time. In his rage, he terrorized the Scottish coast, destroying several villages and dozens of boats, killing hundreds of men, women, and children. The sailor eventually calmed down enough to cease his random attacks, but he retains a savage, atavistic hatred for air-breathers. He began to refer to himself as Kraken, after the mythological beast of Norwegian legend, and continued his attacks, but smarter and more calculated now. Idris Awbrey found him and offered Kraken a place in his new League. At first reluctant, distrustful of the surface folk, Idris’ own savagery convinced Kraken to join up.
Abilities: STR: 26 (+8) DEX: 10 (-) CON: 26 (+8) INT: 10 (-) WIS: 10 (-) CHR: 10 (-)
Skills: Handle Animal 8
Intimidate 8
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 3
Language 1 [English]
Notice 8
Profession: Sailor 8
Survival 8
Feats: All-Out Attack
Diehard
Improved Initiative 1
Power Attack
Rage 1
Powers: “Anchor” Device 3 [Easy to Lose]
Snare 10 [Tether, Flaw: Entangle]
Strike 4 [Mighty, Thrown (Range: 150 ft, incr 30 ft]

Immunity 3 [Cold, High Pressure, Suffocation (Drowning)]
Protection 4
Summon 10 [Type (Broad): Aquatic Animals, Progression 5 (50 minions)]
Swimming 6 [100 mph, 880 ft./rnd]
Combat: Attack +8 [Unarmed DC 23, Strike DC 27, Snare DC 20], Defense +8, Init +4
Saves: Toughness +12, Fortitude +8, Reflex +3, Will +2
Description: Well over six feet tall and broadly built, Kraken is naked from the waist up and rippling with powerful muscles. His skin is light blue in color, his slick hair and beard the dark green of seaweed, while his eyes glitter like coral. Around his right forearm is wrapped several feet of black iron links, depending from which is a massive anchor which Kraken uses like a club. He also spins the anchor and throws it, using the chain to ensnare prey. Quick to anger, quicker to kill, Kraken can supplement his own fearsome might with a legion of aquatic servants. Obviously, this is much more impressive in the water, but even on land he’s been known to send swarms of crabs or angry walruses after foes.

Under the Hood
I think Aquaman 1,000,000 had an anchor wrapped around his arm. I thought that was such a great visual, I stole it outright for Victorian Aquaman. I wanted him to be a total badass, because I think Aquaman generally gets short shrift. Sure, he's not as awesome as Namor, but so few superheroes (or supervillains) are, so that can hardly be held against him. But even on a team that includes an obvious Kryptonian analogue, Kraken is the brick. He's a big scary dude with a weapon that is almost as large as he is, and which he whirls around like its a toothpick.

Jabroniville

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Mr. Quick, Kraken]

Post by Jabroniville » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:29 am

Nice Not-Aquaman! But why is his Will Save so low? Only +2?

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:35 pm

Jabroniville wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:29 am
Nice Not-Aquaman! But why is his Will Save so low? Only +2?
Ha! Yeah, these guys were built back when I was actually paying attention to power point totals. It leaves him a nice glaring weakness, at least.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:18 pm

I like the League so far(which is rather suprising given my hate for "Earth-2" type Chickanry),i might use your not-Aquaman for my Black Sails game if it ever get's off the ground.... :?

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:57 am

MacynSnow wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:18 pm
I like the League so far(which is rather suprising given my hate for "Earth-2" type Chickanry),i might use your not-Aquaman for my Black Sails game if it ever get's off the ground.... :?
Just think of it as an Elseworlds story, you'll be fine.