scc's 3rd Edition Thread of the Goofy, Bad, and Obscure: Jobbermania - Legion of Doom Giganta!!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
scc

Re: scc's 3rd Edition Thread of the Goofy, Bad, and Obscure: Jobbermania - Stallion!!

Post by scc »

That was a really fun run in Nightwing comics. Having a roided-up cowboy using nunchucks makes me realize why I love comics.
scc

Re: scc's 3rd Edition Thread of the Goofy, Bad, and Obscure: Jobbermania - Stallion!!

Post by scc »

Rhino
PL 6

Abilities
Strength 5, Stamina 5, Agility 0, Dexterity 1, Fighting 6, Intellect -1, Awareness 0, Presence -1

Powers
Scarface Lackey:
Huge: Growth 1 [Permanent; Innate]
Ventriloquism: Communication 1 [Auditory], Enhanced Trait 4 [Deception; Limited (When using ventriloquism)]

Standard Equipment
Pistol

Advantages
Equipment 2
Improved Grab
Improved Hold
Power Attack

Skills
Athletics 1 (+6), Close Combat: Unarmed 1 (+7), Expertise: Henchman 3 (+2), Intimidation 7 (+6), Ranged Combat: Guns 3 (+4), Stealth 1 (0)

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed +7, Damage 5

Defense
Dodge 4, Parry 6
Toughness 5, Fortitude 7, Will 2

Power Points
Abilities 26 + Powers 8 + Advantages 5 + Skills 8 + Defenses 8 = Total 55

Complications
Enemy: Batman
Loyalty: Rhino is very loyal to Scarface.

Design Notes
This is Rhino a Batman enemy. Offensively he is PL 6 unarmed. Defensively he is PL 5.5 due to Parry and Toughness. Rhino met Scarface in prison and was impressed with the puppet's boldness and cleverness. He has been a loyal henchmen ever since.

Interesting what you find out when you research a character. Rhino though pretty dumb was able to learn ventriloquism by reading a book. Grant you the first time it happened was by accident when a bunch of thugs were about to beat him up. He spoke through the Scarface dummy which was nearby and it distracted the thugs and inspired him. I did not realize that ventriloquism actually falls under the communication power. I was trying to figure out the best way to model it. Also Rhino is really huge in some books and just a big guy in others. I gave him some growth nonetheless. Nice to have a henchmen with something unique.
Jabroniville

Re: scc's 3rd Edition Thread of the Goofy, Bad, and Obscure: Jobbermania - The other Rhino!!

Post by Jabroniville »

Huh- I had no idea Rhino came from the comics. I thought he was an Animated Series original.
scc

Re: scc's 3rd Edition Thread of the Goofy, Bad, and Obscure: Jobbermania - The other Rhino!!

Post by scc »

Spinner
PL 6

Abilities
Strength 1, Stamina 1, Agility 0, Dexterity 1, Fighting 3, Intellect 5, Awareness 2, Presence 3

Powers
Spinner Armor:
Removable (-2 points)
Protection 7 [Impervious 5]
Strike 1 [Strength-based]

Equipment
Various gadgets that spin

Advantages
Equipment 4
Fascinate 1 [Deception]
Inventor

Skills
Athletics (+1), Close Combat: Unarmed 1 (+4), Deception 6 (+9), Expertise: Criminal 4 (+9), Insight 4 (+6), Intimidation (+3), Perception 3 (+5), Persuasion 5 (+8), Ranged Combat: Gadgets 5 (+6), Technology 6 (+11)

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed +4, Damage 2

Defense
Dodge 4, Parry 4
Toughness 8, Fortitude 4, Will 5

Power Points
Abilities 32 + Powers 11 + Advantages 6 + Skills 17 + Defenses 11 = Total 77

Complications
Enemy: Batman.
Psychological Limitation: Building gadgets and committing crimes based on spinning items.

Design Notes
This is the Spinner a Batman enemy. Offensively he can be up to PL 6 using equipment or gadgets. Defensively he is PL 6 due to Dodge/Parry and Toughness. The Spinner went by the name Swami Ymar. He committed crimes with a small band of thugs centered around the theme of spinning objects. He also posed as a mystic who built a reputation of finding lost objects. But it was his lackeys who broke into homes and hid the valuable items. He planned to retire after amassing a small fortune and was going to frame 'Peanuts' Gibson for the crimes he committed as the Spinner. In his guise of Swami Ymar he helped the police and Batman to find the hideout. The Spinner rigged the place to explode but Batman figured that out in time and was able to save everyone at the windmill which was the Spinner's hideout. Batman then caught the real Spinner.

The Spinner uses a lot of one time gadgets which his equipment and inventor advantages would cover. He used a gun that shot spinning blades (Blast 4, multiattack), a stationary color glass-impregnated fan when it spins blinds opponents using sunlight (Affliction 8 affecting visuals plus dazed and stunned limited to requiring sunlight), a big spinning cone-shaped cannon on wheels that shoots a sticky substance (Snare 6), a giant spinning top ( an out of control vehicle that slams into anything in it's way), and a giant spinning fan with Batwoman attached to one of it's blades. Fun Silver Age character. He only appeared in one issue.
Ken

Re: scc's 3rd Edition Thread of the Goofy, Bad, and Obscure: Jobbermania - The Spinner!!

Post by Ken »

I thought there was more than one Spinner and that they played out of Detroit.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
scc

Re: scc's 3rd Edition Thread of the Goofy, Bad, and Obscure: Jobbermania - The Spinner!!

Post by scc »

I admit I had to look that reference up. Good one. ;)
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

That's an old guy music reference, scc, don't be worried about missing that one. ;)

Love the Spinner, he is wonderfully crappy!
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
scc

Post by scc »

I wish I could say different but I am a old guy as well. ;)
Ken

Post by Ken »

I'll be 50 on my next birthday. My taste in music, however, will be 75.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
scc

Post by scc »

Ahhh!!!

Wow she cleans up well!

Magpie
PL 6

Abilities
Strength 0, Stamina 2, Agility 1, Dexterity 3, Fighting 5, Intellect 4, Awareness 1, Presence 1

Powers
Gloves:
Easily Removable (-6 points)
Paralyzing Venom: Affliction 7 [Paralyzing Venom (Dazed & Impaired, Stunned & Vulnerable, Paralyzed); Extra Condition, Progressive; Limited 2 (Those who take damage from Needles)]
Spring-Loaded Needles: Damage 1 [Spring Loaded Needles; Limited to Bruised Condition; Subtle]

Utility Bag
Acid Gas Pellets: Blast 6 [Area (Cloud), Secondary Effect; Diminished Range]
Alt: Explosive Dart Gun: Blast 6 [Diminished Range]
Dynamite

Advantages
Equipment 7 [Utility Bag]

Skills
Athletics 2 (+2), Deception 7 (+8), Expertise: Demolitions 2 (+6), Expertise: Museum Curator 2 (+6), Insight (+1), Intimidation 4 (+5), Perception 3 (+4), Persuasion 2 (+3), Ranged Combat: Guns 3 (+6), Sleight of Hand 4 (+7), Stealth 5 (+6), Technology 6 (+10)

Offense
Initiative +1
Paralyzing Venom +5, Rank 7, Resisted by Fort (Dazed & Impaired, Stunned & Vulnerable, Paralyzed), Progressive, Limited to those damaged by needles
Spring-Loaded Needles +5, Damage 1, Subtle, Limited to Bruised Condition
Explosive Dart Gun +6, Damage 6

Defense
Dodge 6, Parry 6
Toughness 2, Fortitude 4, Will 4

Power Points
Abilities 34 + Powers 9 + Advantages 7 + Skills 20 + Defenses 11 = Total 81

Complications
Enemies: Batman, Robin and Superman.
Motivation: Having all gems and other shiny things.
Psychological Disorder: Has to have all shiny things and punishes those who have them. Easily distracted by shiny things. Emotionally unstable. Fell down crying when Superman took her wig.

Design Notes
This is Magpie a Batman and Superman enemy. Offensively she is PL 6 using her gadgets. Defensively she is PL 4. When Margaret Pye was young she loved pretty things and wanted to keep them all for herself. She was made fun of for this obsession and was called "Magpie" by her peers. When she was older she became the curator of the Gotham Museum of Antiquities so she could be surrounded by things she loves. But having the responsibility of caring for so many pretty things that she could not own caused her to snap and the villain Magpie was born. Magpie stole jewels and replaced them with booby-trapped copies. Theses traps killed a lot of people. Her series of robberies and murders was stopped by Batman and Superman. She eventually got killed by the second Tally Man when she was working for Intergang.

Magpie was the first villain Post Crisis that Batman and Superman faced together. Strange as that may seem. She replaced things she stolen with a poison gas bomb, a gadget that squirted acid, and planted a little steel rook on chess set that fired deadly blades to name a few. She can use her equipment advantage and her technology skill to create these things.
scc

Re: scc's 3rd Edition Thread of the Goofy, Bad, and Obscure: Jobbermania - Magpie!!

Post by scc »

Time to post some of the biggest jobbers ever from my childhood. This is before I even knew what a jobber was. But if I would have looked it up in the dictionary surely these guys would be pictured there. Behold the Legion of Doom from the Challenge of the Superfriends!

Researching this was kind of fun. I loved that cartoon when I was young. I am planning to stat up the thirteen members of the Legion of Doom as they appeared mainly in the Challenge of the Superfriends cartoon. I will also check some of their appearances in the other Superfriends cartoons as well as the comic book. That being said I will not be statting up Luthor in his power suit or robot Brainiac as they appeared in Superfriends The Legendary Super Powers Show. According to the Superfriends Wiki it is in the same universe. I am not so sure if The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure or the The New Adventures of Batman are part of this continuity. See below for some interesting and funny things I noticed while doing this project:

-The first episode of Challenge of the Superfriends the Legion of Doom (LOD) transformed most of the Earth into Bizarro or Cheetah clones. They showed a military installation with a Drill Sergeant and his platoon being transformed into Bizarro clones. When the Drill Sergeant says about face they all start to laugh and they sound like Butthead from Beavis and Butthead.

-The heroes and villains run a lot even when they can fly so everyone gets the athletics skill.

-I would almost use minion rules for the villains and even the heroes (except for Superman) since one successful attack usually knocks out or entangles the target incapacitating them.

-The villains revel in being evil. They know they are evil. So all of the LOD will have that as a motivation. No complex motivations here. Like Cheetah said when they changed everyone into Bizarro and Cheetah clones who would do their bidding…. “All of them working for our evil purposes.”

-Greed is definitely another motivation. They never seem satisfied. But basically that is like the previous one since the love of money is the root of all evil.

-Grundy and Bizarro are definitely smarter since they both came up with ideas on how to defeat the Superfriends and each had an episode based on their ideas.

-That being said both the heroes and villains do dumb things like the heroes falling for schemes and the villains arrogance and stupidity on letting the heroes overcome these schemes. That being said some of the ways the Superfriends overcame these schemes are pretty out there.

-The LOD is not afraid to kill. They usually trap the Superfriends in some deathtrap but one time they got this crystal created by a mad scientist that could exploit all of the Superfriends’ weaknesses. The Superfriends had it locked up. One blast from this thing and the target would just fall over dead like a sack of potatoes. No dramatic speech before dying. But speaking about doing stupid things Luthor threw away the crystal which fell into the sewer after killing all of the Superfriends. Why not keep it? In this episode after Luthor threw away the crystal they showed someone dressed in a chem. Suit with what look like a metal detector. The person found the crystal and shot it into space with what looked like a rocket launcher. Near the end of the episode they showed leaders from other countries visiting the LOD HQ. Luthor requested that they give the LOD 50% of their national incomes. When they protested Luthor said then we will take it all. Some more people came in and Luthor asked who they represented. They said they represent all nations and took off their disguises. It was the Superfriends! They used robot duplicates of themselves to fool the LOD. Crazy but fun. I liked Superman’s quote at the end…”Now that the Legion of Doom is under control the Superfriends can finally rest in peace.” So the Superfriends were dumb for keeping such a device that could fall into the wrong hands and Luthor was dumb for throwing it away.

-Most of the time the LOD wasn’t too impressive in a fight. Which saddened me even as a kid. I wanted knock down dragged out fights between these two factions but never got that. Heck even the gorillas in Gorilla City were more impressive. When Black Lightning shot a lightning bolt at one gorilla it caught it and threw it back at him ensnaring him. For the most part the LOD never did anything that impressive.

-You see a lot of countering especially by the heroes. Like Superman punching blasts back at the LOD stunning or ensnaring them.

-It seems both sides have videos on each other. Not sure how. For instance the LOD watched a video on when the heroes teamed up and became the Superfriends. The Superfriends even have origin videos. Same with the LOD. They seem to have videos (or perhaps they are looking back in time) of Wonder Woman, Superman and Green Lantern.

-A lot of things are over the top. Like Green Lantern moving the Earth out of the way to avoid yellow comets. Grant you he had to make a last minute decision but still. But against Sinestro most of the time yellow didn’t seem to be a problem.

-Speaking of over the top the Superfriends got a distress call from planet centaur whose sun’s solar flares were ravaging the planet. Superman says “Centaur is trillion of light years away from Earth, we will have to leave immediately!” Then the LOD who was calling themselves the Legion of Good interrupts the call and said they would take care of it. This is when they were pretending to be good. So Riddler takes a rocket plane to Centaur just to leave a clue. Trillion of light years away!!

-Time Travel. Dimensional Travel. Space Travel. None of these are an issue for the LOD or the Superfriends.

-Power levels are hard to gauge. I am pretty anal when statting up characters. Not to say I have to have them perfect but in the ballpark. But the LOD as well as the Superfriends are really hard to nail down.

Hope you enjoy the ride. I am not a prolific poster like Jab and Thorp. If anyone has anything on these characters I might have missed let me know.
Ken

Re: scc's 3rd Edition Thread of the Goofy, Bad, and Obscure: Jobbermania - Magpie!!

Post by Ken »

scc wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:22 pm Hope you enjoy the ride. I am not a prolific poster like Jab and Thorp. If anyone has anything on these characters I might have missed let me know.
Apache Chief
Black Vulcan
El Dorado
Samurai

scc

Re: scc's 3rd Edition Thread of the Goofy, Bad, and Obscure: Jobbermania - Legion of Doom!!

Post by scc »

Hall of Doom
Size: Colossal Str 20 Speed 13 (Air, Alt: Burrow 13, Swim 13, Dimensional Travel 3 [Increased Mass 14], Space Travel 3, Time Travel 3 [Increased Mass 14]) Def 2 Tgh 18 Cost: 250 Pts

Features: Feature 1 [Autopilot 2 (+8 Vehicle Skill), Communications 2, Computer, Escape Tube, Navigation System, Remote Control, Rooms (Garage, Hangar, Holding Cells, Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Power System, Security System, Workshop)]

Armored Hull: Impervious Toughness 17
Energy Blast: Blast 12 [Area (Cone); Variable (Heat or Force)]
Alt: Darkness Ray: Concealment 4 [All Visual Senses; Area (Cone), Attack, Range; Range Rank 6 (Total 10)]
Alt: Teleport Ray: Teleport 4 [Area (Cone), Attack, Increased Resistance Rank 8, Range; Limited 2 (To Hall of Doom only); Increased Mass 10]
Robotic Arms: Extra Limbs 4 [Four Retractable Arms; Sustained; Benefit (Ambidexterity)]
Torpedoes: Blast 10 [Area 6 (Burst)]
Transport Room: Teleport 7 [Area (Burst), Extended, Selective; Limited (To anywhere then back to the ship); Increased Mass 6]
Communication Screens: Communication 5 [Television (Visual, Auditory); Area, Selective, Long Range Perception Visual 2, Long Range Perception Auditory; Medium (TV Screens); Subtle]
Sonar: Senses 6 [Hearing; Accurate, Extended 3, Ultra-Hearing]
Alt: Radar: Senses 5 [Radio; Accurate, Extended 3]

Design Notes
The infamous Legion of Doom HQ. I always liked the design. I could easily see this having more abilities than I gave it. But this is what I saw on the cartoon. It has every mode of travel except on the ground. Different blasts it shoots from the eyes of the ship. I used the long range perception extra that was in the Cosmic Handbook for the Communication Screens the LOD uses. The costs will be split between the smarter members of the LOD. I will also use the Durable Modifier which increases the cost of the equipment advantage, not the cost of the vehicle. I am not sure how the LOD HQ came to be. They showed the LOD watching a video of the Superfriends becoming a group while in a hanger. Sinestro mentions buiding a HQ with the most dangerous weaopons in the galaxy. Then you see the ship flying out of the hanger. It is a pretty expensive piece of equipment that is a vehicle and headquarters combined.
scc

Post by scc »

Ken wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:53 am
scc wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:22 pm Hope you enjoy the ride. I am not a prolific poster like Jab and Thorp. If anyone has anything on these characters I might have missed let me know.
Apache Chief
Black Vulcan
El Dorado
Samurai
Thanks for these! I remember seeing these builds before.
catsi563

Re: scc's 3rd Edition Thread of the Goofy, Bad, and Obscure: Jobbermania - Legion of Doom!!

Post by catsi563 »

Braniac: All I want is a decent pair of pants.

Solomon Grundy: Solomon Grundy Want pants too!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories