Pathfinder Iconics to M&M3E

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Davies

Sajan

Post by Davies »

Sajan

Born into the padaprajna caste of warriors in beautiful Vudra, Sajan Gadadvara and his twin sister Sajni learned to hold a temple sword before they could walk. Strict padaprajna discipline forged a tight bond between the twins, who spent even their infrequent times of rest together, practicing the latest martial techniques taught to them. On their twelfth birthday, the twins were forcefully separated: Sajan went to live with the fighting men of the ghana padaprajna, while Sajni joined the battling women of the sastra padaprajna. Despite their separation, the twins continued to meet when they could, sparring and joking as they had in childhood.

As the insightful narrative of the Vigrahin Patitraka states, “A warrior’s life is to war.” Thus it was that Sajan’s lord embroiled himself in a conflict with a neighbor. Most of the army fielded by Sajan’s lord consisted of conscripts wielding tools of their trades, while the valuable padaprajna watched in reserve. The warriors deduced that they stood on the losing side, but they were duty-bound to fight to the death when instructed. Instead, their lord stole from them the glory of battle-death when he sued for peace after his conscripts fled the field. As part of his surrender, the lord gave over half of his sastra padapranja—including young Sajni.

Sajan vowed to be reunited with his sister, and slipped stealthily into the city of Sumadhadra just in time to see his sister pass out through the gates. He soon discovered that the traded sastra padapranja were loaded onto ships bound for distant Jalmeray. When he reached Jalmeray’s docks. Sajan learned that his sister had signed on as a guard aboard a trading ship bound for a place called Absalom.

The desperate young padapranja gained passage to Absalom and, upon arrival, stared in wonder at the city’s size and splendor. It seemed incredible to him that the strange western barbarians he found himself among could be capable of creating a place so grand. By the time he found his bearings, he found himself without leads, for the sheer size of the city that so impressed him also made finding his sister nearly impossible.

Sajan knows he cannot return to Vudra, for the padapranja there would execute him as a deserter. He cares not for his home country, however, and continues to seek out any clue that might point him toward his sister.

Sajan -- PL 8

STR 3 | STA 2 | AGL 3 | DEX 6 | FGT 6 | INT 0 | AWE 1 | PRE 0
Powers: Flurry of Blows (Multiattack Strength Damage), Ki Reserve (Strength Damage Affects Insubstantial; Array: Enhanced Speed 4, AP: Enhanced Advantages 4 [Defensive Roll 4]), Mobility (Leaping 1; Movement 1 [slow fall], Limited to Only When Near a Surface; Speed 2), Striking Strength (Strength-based Damage 3, Quirk [doesn't stack with weapon Damage]), Stunning Fist (Affliction 8 [Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed, Stunned], Limited Degree, Reaction [successful unarmed Damage effect], Unreliable [5 per day]).
Equipment: Arsenal (Array: Strength-based Damage 3, Accurate, Improved Critical, AP: Ranged Multiattack Damage 1), Potions (Array: Healing 2, AP: Enhanced Strength 2, Affects Others, AP: Enhanced Strength 2)
Advantages: Defensive Roll, Equipment 3, Evasion
Skills: Acrobatics 7 (+10), Athletics 7 (+10), Close Combat: Unarmed 1 (+7), Insight 7 (+8), Perception 7 (+8), Stealth 7 (+10).
Offense: Initiative +3, Unarmed +7 (Close Damage 6 plus Fortitude 8), Flurry of Blows +7 (Close Multiattack Damage 3 plus Fortitude 8), Temple Sword +8 (Close Damage 6), Shuriken +6 (Ranged Multiattack Damage 1).
Defense: Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 6, Toughness 8/4, Will 5
Totals: Abilities 42 + Powers 39 + Advantages 5 + Skills 18 + Defense 15 = 119 points
Complications: Quest for His Sister--Motivation. Constant Training. Outsider.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Davies

Re: Pathfinder Iconics to M&M3E

Post by Davies »

And that was the last of the core rulebook's iconic characters, the ones used in the overwhelming majority of the artwork throughout the Pathfinder product lines. After a short break, I'll be doing the Advanced Player's Guide iconics.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Very nice set of builds. I always liked Harsk because you don't see a lot of Dwarf rangers and he does a good job breaking the usual Dwarf mold. Anxiously awaiting the Advanced Players Iconics.
Formerly luketheduke86
Davies

Alain

Post by Davies »

Alain

Alain was born in Taldor, the son of a wealthy but relatively minor noble house. As a boy, he showed an affinity for both physical activities -- especially the martial pursuits -- and the ins and outs of courtly etiquette and intrigue. Though Alain dismissed such noble studies as literature and linguistics, he could never get enough of bards’ tales of battle and bloodshed, often keeping the minstrels at his favorite taverns playing late into the night. Excel as he might at the joust or the ritualized combat of the nobility, he longed for the primal exultation of war, where his mastery would not just be avowed or lauded, but proved undeniably by the blood on his sword, as clear as the red-dripping talons of an eagle. He had the nobility of society. Now he wanted the nobility of nature.

Unfortunately for Alain, any serious clash of arms lay far beyond the borders of his father’s holdings, and neither his father nor his elder brothers showed the slightest desire to sustain a blood feud with another house. All three men attempted to turn Alain to knighthood, a socially safe and proper outlet for his bloodlust, yet the idea of serving as a squire for any length of time -- of letting someone else give him orders! -- was unthinkable to Alain. Eventually, he gathered what funds and personal affects he could carry and declared himself a sellsword, setting off for the “crimson poetry of the fray.”

Today, he wanders as he wills, taking commissions when they suit his fancy and embarking on his own expeditions when they don’t. To his surprise, he has a talent for leadership. The companions he attracts are almost always cohorts rather than friends—though Alain does a fine job of managing his troops and urging them on to ever greater feats, experience has taught him that soldiers are a short-lived lot.

More than money, love, or lust, Alain cares about his reputation, and he strives with every encounter to increase his own legend, whether as scoundrel or saint. Perhaps the only creature he truly values is his horse, Donahan. Donahan represents everything Alain looks for in a partner: absolute loyalty, absolute trust, and absolute obedience.

Alain -- PL 9

STR 4 | STA 2 | AGL 1 | DEX 5 | FGT 8 | INT 0 | AWE -1 | PRE 2
Equipment: Arsenal (Array: Ranged Damage 3, AP: Strength-based Damage 3, Improved Critical, Reach 2, AP: Strength-based Damage 3, Improved Critical, AP: Strength-based Damage 2, Improved Critical, Improved Disarm, Reach), Cloak of Resistance (Enhanced Dodge 1; Enhanced Fortitude 1; Enhanced Will 1), Full Plate (Protection 5, Quirk [-6 penalty to Athletics]), Large Shield (Enhanced Dodge 3; Enhanced Parry 3), Potions (Array: Environment 2 [daylight], AP: Enhanced Strength 3, Affects Self or Others, Limited to Lifting, AP: Healing 2, AP: Sustained Immunity 2 [cold & heat], Affects Self or Others)
Advantages: Equipment 5, Inspire, Leadership, Move-By Attack, Sidekick 8, Startle
Skills: Athletics 4 (+2), Deception 7 (+9), Expertise: Horsemanship 7 (+12), Expertise: Oratory 4 (+6), Insight 4 (+3), Intimidation 4 (+6), Persuasion 4 (+6).
Offense: Initiative +1, Unarmed +8 (Close Damage 4), Lance +8 (Close Damage 7, Critical 19-20, Reach 2), Longsword +8 (Close Damage 7, Critical 19-20), Cold Iron Flail +8 (Close Damage 6, Critical 19-20, Reach).
Defense: Dodge 6/3, Parry 11/8, Fortitude 7, Toughness 7, Will 1
Totals: Abilities 42 + Advantages 16 + Skills 17 + Defenses 6 = 81 points
Complications: Desire for Fame--Motivation. Casually Amoral.

Donahan -- PL 5

STR 4 | STA 3 | AGL 2 | DEX –4 | FGT 6 | INT –4 | AWE 1 | PRE –2
Powers: Size(Growth 4 [Permanent, Innate]), Sight (Senses 2 [Extended Vision, Low-Light Vision]), Swiftness (Speed 4).
Equipment: Barding (Protection 2).
Advantages: Equipment 1, Evasion.
Skills: Perception 4 (+5).
Offense: Initiative +2, Attack +6 (Close Damage 4).
Defense: Dodge 5, Parry 5, Fortitude 7, Toughness 5, Will 2.
Totals: Abilities 12 + Powers 15 + Advantages 2 + Skills 2 + Defenses 9 = Total 40 points.
Complication: It's a Horse.
slade the sniper

Post by slade the sniper »

Very nice work, but I think it is interesting that M&M is the only system where magic users are lower in PL than the martials. I suppose that Linear Fighters and Quadratic Wizards are not a thing here...

Translating one magic system to another is problematic to say the least, but I find that the "magic" powers available in M&M either end up being overpriced or underpriced when I try to model actual magical effects without having the mages turn into blaster-type characters. The utility effects of magic either get ignored or get modeled with the Ritualist or Artificer feats. I like that aspect of M&M, but it is just one example of how the game system changes the feel of a game.

-STS
Davies

Post by Davies »

slade the sniper wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:03 am Very nice work, but I think it is interesting that M&M is the only system where magic users are lower in PL than the martials. I suppose that Linear Fighters and Quadratic Wizards are not a thing here...
These are fairly low-level characters. If I tried to translate the 20th level wizard who serves as the big bad for Rise of the Runelords and the 20th level swashbuckler who serves as the big bad for Ironfang Invasion, there's no doubt in my mind that the latter would be lower PL than the former, who can throw around a Ranged Burst Area Damage 22 effect.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

I have to ask: how much damage in Pathfinder do you see adding up to higher damage than Superman or the Hulk?
slade the sniper

Post by slade the sniper »

Davies wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:11 am
slade the sniper wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:03 am Very nice work, but I think it is interesting that M&M is the only system where magic users are lower in PL than the martials. I suppose that Linear Fighters and Quadratic Wizards are not a thing here...
These are fairly low-level characters. If I tried to translate the 20th level wizard who serves as the big bad for Rise of the Runelords and the 20th level swashbuckler who serves as the big bad for Ironfang Invasion, there's no doubt in my mind that the latter would be lower PL than the former, who can throw around a Ranged Burst Area Damage 22 effect.
Damage 22?
NOW I am super interested! Please make those characters!

-STS
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I can't wait for you to do one of my favorite Pathfinder classes: The Dr.Jekyll/Mr.Hyde of the D&D world,the Alchemist..... :D
Davies

Post by Davies »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:35 am I have to ask: how much damage in Pathfinder do you see adding up to higher damage than Superman or the Hulk?
The translation of the damage isn't really by damage dice, but by the saving throw to avoid taking half those damage dice. So Karzoug's meteor swarm, a spell with a DC 32 Refex save, becomes a Burst Area Damage 22 effect.

Superman's most powerful punch (Power Attack +5/-5) is a Damage 24 effect, and he could power stunt another 4 ranks of Strength-based Damage from his Super-Strength if he really needs it.

From Bestiary 4, Mogaru's 40d6. DC 42 breath weapon is thus a Line Area 5 Damage 32 effect.
Last edited by Davies on Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Looking over my copies of the iconics... which level are you basing these off of? Or are you more working with the concepts and adjusting to fit?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Spectrum wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:13 pm Looking over my copies of the iconics... which level are you basing these off of?
The 4th level version of the characters from the Pathfinder Society Pregen characters package.