Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Sudowoodo! Sunflora! Donphan!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
catsi563

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Roper! Remorhaz! Rust Monster! Otyugh! Phase Spider!)

Post by catsi563 »

that's nearly any spider in any version of D&D.

original red box basic D&Dand AD&D spiders were some of the most LETHAL with a capital L creatures to low level players that existed.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Phasm

Post by Jabroniville »

PHASM
Role:
Shapechanger
PL 7 (111)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+6)
Stealth 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Improved Initiative, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment)

Powers:
"Shapechangers"
Morph 4 (Any Form) [20]
Variable (Taken Forms) 5 [35]

"Amorphous Blob"
Movement 1 (Slithering) [2]
Insubstantial 1 [5]
Senses 1 (Radius Sight) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 63 / Defenses: 10 (111)

-Phasms are strange, Ooze-like creatures that may take the form of other creatures, much like the notorious "Ditto" Copycat Oozes. They are intelligent and may speak, unlike Oozes, however, meaning they are likely more closely related to Doppelgangers. They vary immensely, often becoming rather philosophical, riddle-obsessed, or curious. They are unlike most sentient beings, however- prone to fits of pique and altering their entire personality on a whim. When attacked, they will take the form of the most dangerous creature they can muster, with as many of their powers as they can maintain- this includes such things as Breath Weapons, Venom, and more, making them exceptionally powerful and versatile. So much the better that they are rarely violent, and typically flee aggressive attacks.

Jab's Notes: Huh- I was expecting an Ooze, not a thinking, speaking creature. I kind of took some efforts to make sure this was unsuitable as a PC, much like the D&D version- they're too random and unpredictable. But I can easily imagine "That Guy" at the gaming table wanting to play one of these random critters- even as I was writing the description, I was imagining annoying geeks drooling over the potential. I'm kinda surprised these things aren't used more often, but their picture (a multicolored, vaguely-organic blob) is decidedly unimpressive.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Roper! Remorhaz! Rust Monster! Otyugh! Phase Spider!)

Post by Jabroniville »

One thing I notice is that I think I statted up all the top-tier D&D monsters, so most of the stuff left over is low-level :). Though we still have Remorhaz & Phoenixes and stuff in there. I don't know where I put the Monster Manual II, but I might add some stuff from there in the thread at some point.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Phasms are one of those "do I really need it" kind of monsters for me. As far as I can tell they're more or less a ooze version of the mimic, which is fine as concept, but I don't think it needs to be a separate creature (especially in D&D 3.whatever where you could use templates).
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Woodclaw wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:01 am Phasms are one of those "do I really need it" kind of monsters for me. As far as I can tell they're more or less a ooze version of the mimic, which is fine as concept, but I don't think it needs to be a separate creature (especially in D&D 3.whatever where you could use templates).
Yeah, the built-in redundancy of so much of D&D feels quite strange. Looking at Undead creatures in an attempt to mass-spam out some of them, I realize that most of them are near-identical Ethereal creatures that are differentiated only by the type of damage they do.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Anyone else just LOVE the little "Ecology" sections for creatures in the books? so much fun. Meanwhile, seeing huge sections devoted to cities just puts me to sleep. I'd rather read 15 pages on The Ecology of the Ettercap than an essay about the city council of Douchetropolis.
Shock

Post by Shock »

"Ecology of ...." was always one of my favorite articles in Dragon Magazine. Back when it was an actual magazine anyway.
Jabroniville

Planetouched

Post by Jabroniville »

PLANETOUCHED:
-"Planetouched" beings are of semi-distant relation to magical beings, either celestial or infernal. Aasimar are descended from heavenly beings, and are generally known to be tall, good-looking, and almost glowing with a faint light. Tieflings are much, MUCH more famous and common, and typically feature "tells" like curved horns, cloven hooves, or forked tails- much less conspicuous than Aasimar. Tieflings are hated in many regions, but are popular in brothels- many males having a particular liking to their "exotic" features. Tieflings are descended from unholy unions between mortals and demonic entities- this makes them unpopular in "civilized" society, and subject to great discrimination- they are easily stereotyped as evil beings.

AASIMAR: PRE +2, "Light" Environment 2 (Light) (Flaws: Unreliable- 1/day -2) [5]

ImageImage

TIEFLING: "Darkness" Concealment 2 (Vision) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Unreliable- 1/day -2) [4]

Jab's Notes: Tieflings are something of a cliche in D&D, with Sexy Demon Ladies being a very common fetish. The 3rd Edition Monster Manual of course features a bare-bellied, comely female specimen (with REALLY wide hips- something I appreciate much more now than when I first saw this piece of art), and I've seen plenty of FanArt and even official comics featuring Sexy Tieflings. Aasimar? They might as well not exist. I decided to make Aasimar into charismatic beings, and Tieflings into darkness-causers, giving them pretty even Templates.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:36 am Anyone else just LOVE the little "Ecology" sections for creatures in the books? so much fun. Meanwhile, seeing huge sections devoted to cities just puts me to sleep. I'd rather read 15 pages on The Ecology of the Ettercap than an essay about the city council of Douchetropolis.
One of the things I missed the most when the game shifted from AD&D 2nd to 3rd editon were the lengthy ecology/environment entries in the monster manual.
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:04 am Jab's Notes: Tieflings are something of a cliche in D&D, with Sexy Demon Ladies being a very common fetish. The 3rd Edition Monster Manual of course features a bare-bellied, comely female specimen (with REALLY wide hips- something I appreciate much more now than when I first saw this piece of art), and I've seen plenty of FanArt and even official comics featuring Sexy Tieflings. Aasimar? They might as well not exist. I decided to make Aasimar into charismatic beings, and Tieflings into darkness-causers, giving them pretty even Templates.
The simple trick of tiefling is that they allow people to play a semi-evil/demonic character without having to dwelve to deep in the potential consequences, making them perfect anti-hero material. Heck, I know a girl who played only tieflings in AD&D because of that.
It did help that until 3rd Edition Tieflings looked like human with a hint, but just a hint of demon (i.e. strangely colored eyes, vaguely horn shaped hair and whatnot). One of the things that 4th Edition did right (and 5th continued) is to make tieflings visually distinct. Right now tieflings look like Hellboy.

For context, this it the picture in the new Player's Handook official entry.

"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Thoqqua

Post by Jabroniville »

THOQQUA
Role:
Fiery Drill (?)
PL 5 (62)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+5)
Stealth 4 (+6)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
Senses 3 (Infravision, Ranged Touch 2) [3]
Movement 1 (Slithering) [2]
Heat Aura 5 [20]
Immunity 10 (Heat Effects) [10]
Burrowing 2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Heat Aura +4 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +2

Complications:
Vulnerable (Cold)- Thoqquas, like most creatures from the Elemental Plane of Fire, are vulnerable to cold-based attacks.

Total: Abilities: 16 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 37 / Defenses: 5 (62)

-Thoqquas are burning-hot wormlike monsters that typically tunnel beneath the earth, but are occasionally seen on the surface, especially in volcanically-active regions. The dog-sized beasts consume minerals and have foul tempers, but typically do not seek out sentient beings.

Jab's Notes: These guys are a confusing addition to the 3e Monster Manual. I mean... it's a burning slug. Almost everything else in the book is more dynamic than interesting. It comes off as out of place.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Woodclaw wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:53 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:36 am Anyone else just LOVE the little "Ecology" sections for creatures in the books? so much fun. Meanwhile, seeing huge sections devoted to cities just puts me to sleep. I'd rather read 15 pages on The Ecology of the Ettercap than an essay about the city council of Douchetropolis.
One of the things I missed the most when the game shifted from AD&D 2nd to 3rd editon were the lengthy ecology/environment entries in the monster manual.
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:04 am Jab's Notes: Tieflings are something of a cliche in D&D, with Sexy Demon Ladies being a very common fetish. The 3rd Edition Monster Manual of course features a bare-bellied, comely female specimen (with REALLY wide hips- something I appreciate much more now than when I first saw this piece of art), and I've seen plenty of FanArt and even official comics featuring Sexy Tieflings. Aasimar? They might as well not exist. I decided to make Aasimar into charismatic beings, and Tieflings into darkness-causers, giving them pretty even Templates.
The simple trick of tiefling is that they allow people to play a semi-evil/demonic character without having to dwelve to deep in the potential consequences, making them perfect anti-hero material. Heck, I know a girl who played only tieflings in AD&D because of that.
It did help that until 3rd Edition Tieflings looked like human with a hint, but just a hint of demon (i.e. strangely colored eyes, vaguely horn shaped hair and whatnot). One of the things that 4th Edition did right (and 5th continued) is to make tieflings visually distinct. Right now tieflings look like Hellboy.

For context, this it the picture in the new Player's Handook official entry.

Oh, they were really plain before? I know Aasimar just look like normal folks, but the 3e Tieflings seemed to have horns. But yeah, reading some comics based around the 4e stuff, the Tiefling Rogue character is basically "Sexy Demoness". A lot like a Warcraft character, actually, which I recall being an accusation tossed TSR's way when 4e was a thing- that they were completely aping the popular World of Warcraft, conceptually and mechanically.
Jabroniville

Tojanida

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

TOJANIDA- JUVENILE
Role:
Aquatic Monster
PL 6 (80)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+5)
Insight 3 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+3)
Perception 3 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Startle

Powers:
Swimming 6 [6]
"Pincers" Extra Limbs 2 [2]
"Shell" Protection 2 [2]
Immunity 10 (Acid, Cold Damage) [10]
Immunity 10 (Electrical & Fire Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [5]
"All-Around Vision" Senses 4 (Radius Sight, Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent) [4]

"Ink Cloud" Concealment 2 (Vision) (Extras: Attack, Area- 15ft. Cloud) (Flaws: Limited to Within Water) (6) -- [8]
  • AE: "Ink Jet" Dazzle Visuals 4 (Feats: Accurate 2) (Flaws: Limited to Out of Water) (6)
  • AE: "Pincers & Teeth" Strength-Damage +3 (3)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Pincers & Teeth +6 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Ink Jet +4 (+4 Ranged Affliction, DC 14)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +3 (+5 Shell), Fortitude +4, Will +2

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 26 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 37 / Defenses: 5 (80)

TOJANIDA- ADULT
Role:
Aquatic Monster
PL 8 (102)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Close Combat (Natural Weapons) 2 (+9)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+7)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Ink Jet) 4 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Hold, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Startle

Powers:
Swimming 6 [6]
"Shell" Protection 3 [3]
"All-Around Vision" Senses 4 (Radius Sight, Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent) [4]

"Ink Cloud" Concealment 2 (Vision) (Extras: Attack, Area- 30ft. Cloud +2) (Flaws: Limited to Within Water) (8) -- [10]
  • AE: "Ink Jet" Dazzle Visuals 6 (Feats: Accurate 2) (Flaws: Limited to Out of Water) (9)
  • AE: "Pincers & Teeth" Strength-Damage +4 (4)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Pincers & Teeth +9 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Ink Jet +8 (+6 Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +5 (+8 Shell), Fortitude +6, Will +3

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 40 / Defenses: 6 (102)

TOJANIDA- ELDER
Role:
Aquatic Monster
PL 9 (121)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Close Combat (Natural Weapons) 2 (+9)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+7)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+6, +7 Size)
Perception 4 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Ink Jet) 4 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+2 Size)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Hold, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Startle

Powers:
Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]
Swimming 6 [6]
"Shell" Protection 3 [3]

"Ink Cloud" Concealment 2 (Vision) (Extras: Attack, Area- 30ft. Cloud +2) (Flaws: Limited to Within Water) (8) -- [10]
  • AE: "Ink Jet" Dazzle Visuals 6 (Feats: Accurate 2) (Flaws: Limited to Out of Water) (8)
  • AE: "Pincers & Teeth" Strength-Damage +3 (3)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Pincers & Teeth +9 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Ink Jet +8 (+6 Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +7 (+10 Shell), Fortitude +8, Will +6

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 45 / Defenses: 11 (121)

-Tojanidas are some of the most bizarre inhabitants of the depths- resembling turtles with a pair of pincers- one on top and one on the bottom, along with an unnatural head, bisected in the middle with a huge maw. Peculiarly, they may place their seven stalks (four flippers, two pincers and one head) in any direction they choose, making them versatile and deadly opponents. Tojanidas are intelligent creatures, and may speak- they are known to be Abominations, but are typically less evil than most of their brethren. They are more animalistic in nature and termperament, typically being more focused on survival and eating than evil plans. They come in numerous sizes, with Elders being as large as horses, while the youths are about the size of a medium-sized dog.

Jab's Notes: Tojanidas are a peculiarity in the Monster Manual- a full-page entry for a creature that is not really that important to the supporting materials or the game, and lacks really distinctive powers or traits, save for the "can rearrange limbs & stuff in various forms" thing. Like, they added Juvenile, Adult & Elder stages, even! This site contains some jokes about how unloved the creatures are, and how the Pathfinder game revamped them into this long-memoried race of beings, desperate to seek out new sensations.
Jabroniville

Rakshasa

Post by Jabroniville »

For some reason, most of the pictures online are of normal-handed tiger-people.

RAKSHASA:
-Several of the more civilized, magically-gifted cat-themed Beast-Kin (INT 2+, PRE 2+) have formed a secretive cult called The Cult of the Upturned Palm, a loose conglomeration of powerful Sorcerers and Wizards who've gained a foothold of power in the world. Called "Rakshasa" colloquially among each other, they pretend to be a different species, aided by a magical spell that alters their hands until their palm faces in the opposite direction as it would on any other biped. This disconcerting look indicates something "extra". Few realize that these creatures are mere Beast-Kin, as they are more intelligent, conversational, and less savage than their brethren- they carefully maintain an aura of being a different species. The vast majority of Rakshasa are Tiger-Kin, though Leopard/Panther-Kin and Snow Leopard-Kin have been spotted in some areas- the origins of the Cult are in regions heavily populated by Tigers and the associated Beast-Kin.

Jab's Notes: Rakshasa are a good "Intelligent Adversary" type for D&D, and I figured I'd include them. Not wanting a separate species, but also to keep them rare, I simply absorbed them into my "Beast-Kin" template, but made them smarter Sorcerer-types. Rakshasa are rather individualized in D&D, simply acting as a Sorcerer-Class with some extra hitting power and Alternate Forms.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:17 am Oh, they were really plain before? I know Aasimar just look like normal folks, but the 3e Tieflings seemed to have horns. But yeah, reading some comics based around the 4e stuff, the Tiefling Rogue character is basically "Sexy Demoness". A lot like a Warcraft character, actually, which I recall being an accusation tossed TSR's way when 4e was a thing- that they were completely aping the popular World of Warcraft, conceptually and mechanically.
Now i know i might get stoned out of the room for this,but i'm of the mind that 4th was actually fairly well done.All the classes were perfectly balanced,they (Officially) introduced both the Tieflings&Dragonborne to the game,they gave us the rather well-done class the Warlord(which is considered by my game group the "biological" father of the Battlemaster archtype for 5th),ect.
My main point is that it's rather sad they didn't do anything for Assimar's like they did Tieflings&Dragonborn,i guess the fan base didn't like them that much....
Jabroniville

Fairy Dragon

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImageImageImage

FAIRY DRAGON
Role:
Tiny Monster
PL 5 (88)
STRENGTH
-1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 3 (+3)
Expertise (Magic) 4 (+4)
Expertise (Dragon) 4 (+4)
Insight 3 (+4)
Perception 6 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Breath Weapon) 2 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+11 Size)

Advantages:
Evasion, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Draconic Senses" Senses 7 (Low-Light & Extended Vision, Acute, Extended & Accurate Scent, Extended Hearing) [7]
"Detect Dragons" Senses 5 (Detect Dragons- Ranged, Acute & Analytical) [5]
"Draconic Healing" Regeneration 2 (Feats: Regrowth) [3]
"Ageless" Immunity 3 (Aging, Poison, Disease) [3]

"Dragon's Wings" Flight 2 (8 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [2]
"Dragon's Tail" Extra Limb 1 [1]

"Tiny Size" Shrinking 8 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) -- (1 foot) [17]
(-2 Strength, +4 Defenses, +8 Stealth, -4 Intimidation, -1 Speed)

"Fairy Telepathy"
Mind-Reading 4 [8]
Communication (Mental) 1 [4]

"Breath Weapon- Euphoria" Affliction 5 (Fort; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Ranged) (Flaws: Limited to Euphoric Glee) (Diminished Range -2) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Euphoric Gas +5 (+5 Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +1, Fortitude +3, Will +4

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 12 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 53 / Defenses: 8 (88)

-Possibly the most peculiar Dragons in existence are the tiny Fairy Dragons, or Pseudodragons. Named for their irridescent, glowing butterfly-like wings, these creatures are stereotyped as non-speaking, animalistic Wizards' Familiars. They are in fact telepathic creatures of human intelligence, with a penchant for mischief and an inquisitive mind. In some regions, the "Pseudodragons" appear simply as tiny dragons of any color, lacking the Fairy-like wings. Their relationships to regular Dragons are as distant as might be expected- they appear to have been modified by proximity to the Fair-Folk.

-Fairy Dragons make excellent Familiars, as they are smart, small and loyal, but they can also be willful and troublesome- they will not brook insult, and may not always appreciate being condescended to, or treated like a common animal.

Jab's Notes: The only thing that really sticks out to me of my college reading of a Monster Manual of some sort was the existence of a "Fairy Dragon"- all of the different colors and their unique powers was interesting, of course... but a FAIRY Dragon? This kind of distinctly tiny, cute critter was something I'd never have imagined, and made me think of this wider world of Dragon-kind. I think this is why I'm still fascinated by Dragons in general- it's not something that I had as a kid.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.