Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Sudowoodo! Sunflora! Donphan!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Slayers

Post by Jabroniville »

SLAYER
Role:
Elite Mooks, Death-Seekers
PL 6 (73)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+7)
Expertise (Building) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Dwarf) 6 (+7)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 8 (+7)
Perception 4 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Equipment 2, Favoured Foe (Orcs or Dark Elves), Improved Critical (Axe), Improved Initiative, Great Endurance, Fearless, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Set-Up, Takedown, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Immovable" Enhanced Strength 2 (Flaws: Limited to Resisting Movement) [2]
"Subterranean Features" Super-Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]

"Slayer of Enemies" (All Have Flaws: Limited to Chosen Foe -2)
Enhanced Advantages 3: Ranged Attack 2 [0.5]
Enhanced Fighting 2 [1]
Enhanced Dodge 2 [0.5]

Equipment:
Any Combination of:
"Great Axe" Strike +3, Improved Critical, Penetrating 4 (8)
"Twin Axes" Strength-Damage +2, Split (3)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Axe +5 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 5 / Defenses: 11 (73)

-As creatures of tremendous honour and adherence to the rules, Dwarves are particularly horrified if a bond is broken, a beloved Clan defeated, or a Lord failed. As part of Dwarven custom since the olden times, a Dwarf who believes he has failed his people in some way will remove his armour, dye his hair (orange or blue are common), and devote himself to single-mindedly destroying the Hold's enemies- be they Greenskin, Dark Elf or Human. These Dwarves are obsessed beyond the level of any other sentient creature, for their true goal is to slay as many villains as possible before their own death, at which point they believe their debt to society will be paid. Truly suicidal, these Dwarves nonetheless believe there is no honour in merely taking one's own life, which is why they seek it in battle. A Slayer (as they are known) will throw himself against the mightiest or most terrifying foe available without fail, hoping for his own death, but knowing that it must only come from an honest, fatal blow.

Jab's Notes: These are an obvious rip-off from Warhammer, as one of their iconic aspects were the "Slayers"- Suicidal, battle-seeking Dwarves with orange mohawks and blue facepaint. I always considered it a good bonus to ANY RPG/fantasy system to include at least one or two TRULY "unique" things in their respective worlds. Shining Force had Centaur Knights, Fire Emblem had Pegasus Knights, and Warhammer gave us half-nude Braveheart Dwarves, Skaven (rat-people; D&D ripped them off with their "Wererats"), and a few other things.
catsi563

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Humans, Dire Bear, Dwarves)

Post by catsi563 »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:00 pm
catsi563 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:28 pm Just curious, no great End feat for the Dwarves? Dwarves are almost always shown to be sturdy capable of carrying great burdens for long periods of time with out slowing that sort of thing.
Hm- I'd never known that to be a Dwarven trait. Hell, Gimli whines about the opposite issue in LOTR.
D&D rules usually apply it as a bonus to carrying weight allowing dwarves to carry greater weights further.

The hobbit describes it on page 277 as They had brought with them a great store of supplies for Dwarves can carry heavy burdens, and nearly all Dains folk inspite of their rapid march bore huge packs on their backs in addition to weapons.

A prior passage shows Dains folk armored in steel mesh and chainmail hauberks and carrying shields and short swords and great two handed mattocks. also saying dwarves were strong and these were strong for dwarves.

Taken all together you have an entire army of short stubborn little tanks who force marched through the night carrying twice their weight in armor and supplies and weapons without breaking a sweat and ready to fight when they arrived.

Not something id want to meet in a dark alley :lol:

As for Gimli I think that was just him being dwarfish ;)
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I'm still debating how much my setting needs Dwarves. I'm along three lines of thought:

1) Get rid of them- use another race in that role .
2) Keep them like here.
3) Make them a race of literal clones- like, Dwarves are all the same because each one IS the same!
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:55 pm I'm still debating how much my setting needs Dwarves. I'm along three lines of thought:

1) Get rid of them- use another race in that role .
2) Keep them like here.
3) Make them a race of literal clones- like, Dwarves are all the same because each one IS the same!
I know in some settings/lore dwarves are described as being made from stone, so you could go with #3 and have them be self-replicating stone golem-esque creatures. Some are still made with certain jobs in minds, but each one that falls under certain classes/professions are pretty much the same.
Formerly luketheduke86
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I've been working on a fantasy setting off and on for *cough* too many years.

In my setting, 'dwarves' are Grecian earth elemental scholars that organize in colleges (Phologistion! Resource reclamation!). They live inside of an underground Escher inspired landscape with localized gravity.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Warcraft had a similar notion of Dwarves all being created from the Titans from stone and having a connection to the earth. They were called the Earthen or Earthborn. You discover some of this in the Uldular Dungeon.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Parasect

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

This creature is as tall as a man, and resembles a gigantic red mushroom (itself covered in smaller, multi-coloured mushrooms), moving about on crab-like legs. Two stalk-like eyes sprout from underneath, and appear to contain no life nor intelligence.

PARASECT
Role:
Poisonous Super-Insect
PL 7 (98)- Minion Rank 7, Sidekick Rank 20
Normal Version:
PL 5-6
STRENGTH 4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -4

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+7)
Close Combat (Slash) 2 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 9 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Powders) 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Slash), Ranged Attack 2, Startle

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent, Detect Nutrients- Analytical) [5]
Extra Limbs 2 [2]

"Grass/Insect-Type Magical Creature"
Immunity 20 (Electric & Water Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [10]
Immunity 20 (Ground & Plant Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Quarter-Effect) [5]

"Insectoid Body"
"Pincer Slash" Strength-Damage +2 [2]
Movement 3 (Wall-Crawling 2, Sure-Footed) [6]

"Stun Spore" Affliction 7 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Paralyzed) (Extras: Ranged, Progression +2) (Diminished Range -2) (26) -- [28]
  • AE: "Poison Powder" Weaken Stamina 6 (Extras: Ranged, Progression +2) (Diminished Range -2) (22)
  • AE: "Sleep Powder" Affliction 7 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep) (Extras: Ranged, Progression +2) (Diminished Range -2) (26)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Pincer Slash +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Stun Spore & Sleep Powder +6 (+7 Ranged Affliction, DC 17)
Poison Powder +6 (+6 Ranged Weaken, DC 16)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +2

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Parasect cannot speak to humans, nor use their pincers to easily manipulate objects.
Weakness (Poison, Insect, Fire, Ice, Bird & Rock Damage)- Parasect's combination of animal types leaves it vulnerable to certain types of attack. Even Bird-like creatures do extra damage.

Total: Abilities: 14 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 58 / Defenses: 8 (98)

-Parasect are a bizarre variety of magical insect known to inhabit some of the more mystically-oriented forests in the world. In fact, they are insects that have been overtaken by parasitic mushrooms- these mushrooms are small at first, but after a few years, grow into a massive shape that overtakes the insectoid body. They consume nutrient matter from trees, and can prove quite destructive. They can exhaust three various powders from their bodies, as well as use their pincers for extra damage. Some have been known to have the "Effect Spore" ability, which can afflict others with their Powders on any physical contact.

Jab's Notes: I actually got a lot of use out of Parasect in the first Pokémon game, despite his overwhelming weakness to MANY common forms of attack. It had some good powers, and was also Immune to four very common modes of attack as well- not a lot of Pokémon in the early part of the game used Fire attacks. Parsect with "Effect Spore" effectively have Affliction 4 (choose one) (Extras: Reaction +3) (Flaws: Unreliable -2), due to it's 25-30% chance to effect.
L-Space

Re: Parasect

Post by L-Space »

catsi563 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:08 am Warcraft had a similar notion of Dwarves all being created from the Titans from stone and having a connection to the earth. They were called the Earthen or Earthborn. You discover some of this in the Uldular Dungeon.
Yea I always thought that was cool and thought turning them into a sentient race of earth elementals/stone golems who literally build more of their kind would be an interesting idea.
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:30 amJab's Notes: I actually got a lot of use out of Parasect in the first Pokémon game, despite his overwhelming weakness to MANY common forms of attack. It had some good powers, and was also Immune to four very common modes of attack as well- not a lot of Pokémon in the early part of the game used Fire attacks. Parsect with "Effect Spore" effectively have Affliction 4 (choose one) (Extras: Reaction +3) (Flaws: Unreliable -2), due to it's 25-30% chance to effect.
Yea, pokemon with status effects were crucial early on. That's why I always loved bulbasaur for a starter, that and because I found the little guy cute as hell.
Formerly luketheduke86
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

so for those Pokémon, I think I'll make them "to order" :). What powers & stuff do you guys want on Volcarona, Magmar, Nidoran, Gengar, etc? I'm a bit out of practice as to "What's Very Effective" these days.
Jabroniville

Centaurs

Post by Jabroniville »

CENTAUR
Creature Type: Altered Humanoid, Beast-Kin, Tauric
Typical Adult Height: 7'0"-8'6"
Birth Rate: 1 infant once a year
Lifespan: 0-10 (Colt/Fillie), 11-59 (Adult), 60-80 (Elder)
Nicknames: Horsefolk
Sexual Dimorphism: As humans- lighter builds, mammaries, less body hair
Skin Tones: Pink to darker brown, rarely green or violet (in regions where Wood Elves are common)
Hair: Varying shades of fur (brown & grey most common) common to mammals. Usually one colour, but patched and spotted types are known. Hair appears like humans- blonde, brown, dark, red and gray/white (in older Centaurs)
Racial Mounts: None
Racial Weapons: Shortbows (Wild), Lance & Shield (Lancers)
Religion: Vanshii (Wood Elf God), Demeter & Artemis (Wild), Athena & Zeus (Lancers)

Allies: Humans, Wood Elves

Encounter Groups:
Solo (1)
Group (2-4 plus 0-1 Elite)
Bands (4-15 plus 0-4 Elites, 0-20 Humans or Wood Elves, 0-18 Dryads, 0-10 Slaves)
Town (8-30, plus 1-10 Elites, 0-40 Humans or Wood Elves, 0-30 Dryads, 0-40 Slaves, 0-3 Monsters)

PL Variants:
PL 0: Noncombatants
PL 1-4: Weaker Specimens
PL 5: Common Centaur (Wild or Lancer)
PL 6: Elites, Pegasus Centaur
PL 7+: Elite Pegasus Centaurs, Important Characters

-Centaurs are among the most common "Beastkin", though they loathe the term. Centaurs consistently resemble muscular horse breeds, but with a humanoid torso sprouting from the withers instead of a neck and head. Their human parts are equally well-muscled, and even the females retain a strong physical presence. Ears may appear Human, Elven, or even more Horse-like, depending on the region. Wild Centaurs are more likely to possess the latter, while Centaurs near Elven lands tend towards Elven ears. Whether this is by breeding, evolution or magical proximity is unknown. Nearly all horse and humanoid colouring is known amongst Centaurs, with the Wild Centaurs possessing darker colours and more "plain" horse-features, and the civilized ones featuring more light hair colours, and more fur patterns, such as dappling or patching. Occasionally, Centaurs feature long hair sprouting from above their hooves.

-Other types of Centaurs have been seen, but are quite rare. These Centaurs often resemble woodland creatures more than true Horses, featuring sets of Antlers, and Cervid-like lower bodies. Elk, Deer, Moose and Reindeer-like Centaurs have been seen in scattered tribes, usually far from their Horse-like kin.

-Appearing primarily in the Marsellian kingdoms these days, they sprung from wild tribes that inhabited the dense forests all over the continent, primarily in the Southeast. Most of them avoided the civilizations of "two-legs" because of contested hunting grounds and other simple feuds, but during the Great Dragon War, a Centaur named Tyron allied with the heroes from across the lands, wielding the advanced arms & armour of his fellow heroes, and led the charge to defeat the High Dragon King. Ever since, he and his tribe have lived within the lands of Marsellia, where his best human friend lived- his legacy inspiring the "Centaurian Lancers".

-The Centaurian Lancers are an elite unit in the Marsellian armies that take the same role as the Heraldic Knights- they act as shock troops to overrun and pursue the enemy. Their status is highly lauded, and they are reasonably well-paid (for a second-class race) and honoured... but not highly liked. Tendencies towards bravado, macho behavior, and drunkennes when not fighting at war has left them with a bad reputation, and many humans in Marsellia would just as soon have them exiled, regardless of their military achievements. It is a rare Lancer indeed that is truly loved by the populace.
-The Lancers of Marsellia are currently by far the most powerful and numerous of all Centaurs. Many of their wild kin have been separated or killed off over the centuries, and currenly, the Wild Centaur-folk are disliked by the Lancers and vice-versa, each accusing the other of various misdeeds. The Wild believe the Lancers are "Sell-outs" of a sort, falling into Human culture as race-traitors, while the Lancers view the Wild Centaurs as uncivilized brutes who give them all a bad name.

Jab's Notes: This is one thing I basically ripped entirely off of "Shining Force", a brilliant series of video games released on the SEGA systems way back in the late '80s and early '90s. All members of the "Knight" class in the series (mostly Tactical RPGs, back when that was a brand-new concept) were actually Centaurs, and many were considered rather impolite braggarts. I LOVED this concept, and it became one of those iconic things that defines a series, especially since Knights are one of the generally most-used classes in Tactical RPGs. Many characters in The Light Brigade (my "Official Characters") are just variants of what appeared in Shining Force already :).

I also love "Tauric" stuff in general, for unknown reasons. I have no real fetish for the stuff (I mean, they have HORSE BUTTS!) despite producing some nice Amazonian Beauty archetypes on the ladies, but I've always liked the "Animal, But Slightly Not" Fantasy Creatures, like Centaurs, Minotaurs, Lamia, etc. Tauric things are also VERY visually-impressive- they give off a wild aura, they have impressive size, and yet they look like they could be civil all the same. Nothing says "Awesome" like a huge Horse-man carrying a weapon far bigger than you could ever carry. One of the Monster Manuals for D&D lays out a cool template that shows a Hobgoblin merged with a Griffon in such a manner.

The weird thing about Centaurs is judging their heights. Assuming a Horse-sized body, they are QUITE large, but then the human torso would have to be equally up-sized to be larger, or else it would look like a puny little person atop a big horse body. Leela in that "Futurama" mini-movie was about Pony-sized I think, because her torso was human-sized. Even THOSE Centaurs would still be quite taller than humans, though. I got a bit mid-sized- my Centaurs look a bit more like small-ish Horses than full-sized Clydesdales. Those horses tend to be more physically-fit anyways, as Horsenhero once explained on my thread. Not that some Centaurs can't be bigger- they'd just have higher Strength.

WILD CENTAUR
Role:
Wildmen
PL 5 (61)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Ranger) 4 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+4, +5 Size)
Perception 4 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Bow & Arrow) 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Bow & Arrow), Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Bow), Move-By Action, Ranged Combat 4, Teamwork, Ultimate Ranger Skill

Powers:
"Natural Size" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -3 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]
Senses 2 (Extended Vision, Low-Light Vision) [2]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]

Equipment:
"Bow & Arrow" Blast 4 (8)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Bow & Arrow +6 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +3

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 8 (61)

-Wild Centaurs are still common in some lands, but only in scattered bands, lacking any central leadership. Each is led by a chieftan, who has a small group of friends and relatives to give him advice, but most bands number only 10-25 in size maximum. They're archery experts, often fighting with hit & run tactics in large numbers, with some remaining in hiding to give the impression of less than their true number. Many Wild Centaurs are evil raiders, while others are merely xenophobic.

Jab's Notes: I wanted to include the "regular" Centaurs as well, as the Grecian Fighting Bastards format was still quite cool. To do this, I just made them an originator of the race, with the civilized Centaurs being the Knights. These leaves room for some opposition between the races. I kind of get sick of the whole "We Love the Forest" super-hippie stuff in D&D's Centaurs & Elves, so that'll likely be left out. Note the "Resist Trips" thing- I figure it's worth something, as Centaurs technically have two more limbs than any Humanoid tends to.

ImageImage

CENTAURIAN LANCER
Role:
Knights, The Cavalry
PL 5 (49)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+5)
Expertise (Soldier) 5 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+6, +7 Size)
Perception 2 (+2)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment 4 (Lance, Armour), Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Lance), Move-By Action, Teamwork

Powers:
"Natural Size" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -3 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]

Equipment:
"Lance" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Reach 3) (Extras: Penetrating 4) (Inaccurate -1) (9) -- (10)
  • AE: "Short Sword" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Improved Critical) (2)
"Full Plate Armour" Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 5) (7)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Lance +2 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Sword +4 (+6 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness +5 (+7 Armour), Fortitude +7, Will +2

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 3 (49)

-The Centaurian Lancers are Marsellia's primary Cavalry force (though they do make use of regular Human Knights as well)- stronger than Men, they produce the most vicious charges imaginable for a Humanoid force. Though stereotyped among the populace, they are nonetheless figures of awe in Marsellian society.
Jabroniville

Hawlucha

Post by Jabroniville »

HAWLUCHA
Role:
Fighting Bird
PL 5 (61)
Normal Version:
PL 4-5
STRENGTH 0 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 12 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+6)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+6)
Intimidation 5 (+3)
Perception 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Evasion, Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Prone Fighting

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) [3]
Flight 4 (30 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [4]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Power Strike" Strength-Damage +4 [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Power Strike +6 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +4, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Hawlucha cannot speak to humans.
Vulnerable (Psionic Attacks)- Hawlucha's creature type leaves them vulnerable to psionic attack.

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 6 (61)

Era: Fantasy Worlds
Range: Forested terrain
Colouring: White, green & red
Size: Up to 3.5 feet tall (less than 40 lbs.)
Encounter Groups: Small arenas of 2-10 individuals.
Diet: Seeds, fruit, leaves
Tactics: Lash out with athletic, acrobatic fighting style.

-Hawlucha are one of the strangest birds on the Western continents- barely coming up to the waist of a man, they nonetheless strike with incredible impact. It is believed that they utilize a form of "Chi", the way sentient martial artists do. Using a quick, acrobatic combat style, Hawlucha are dangerous adversaries, and defend their nests intensely. Of particular note is a shocking technique, where they fly into the air, coming down with outstretched wings, pressing their body directly onto their opponent. This move hurts far more than a landing from a 30-lb. animal should- a signifier of their semi-mysical "Chi" powers.

Jab's Notes: One I don't think I've heard of, Hawlucha (Luchabull in Japan) is a Luchador-inspired Flying/Fighting Pokemon, known for their "Flying Press" maneuvers. A unique Type Combination, they earned a position on Ash's team for a season in the show.
Jabroniville

Pegasus Centaurs

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

PEGASUS CENTAUR
Role:
Knights, The Cavalry
PL 6 (69)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+6)
Expertise (Soldier) 6 (+6)
Intimidation 7 (+7, +8 Size)
Perception 2 (+2)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Equipment 4 (Lance, Armour), Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Lance), Move-By Action, Startle, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [6]
"Enhanced Might" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

Equipment:
"Lance" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Reach 3) (Extras: Penetrating 4) (Inaccurate -1) (9) -- (10)
AE: "Short Sword" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Improved Critical) (2)
"Full Plate Armour" Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 5) (7)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Lance +3 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Sword +5 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +6 (+8 Armour), Fortitude +8, Will +3

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 22 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 19 / Defenses: 7 (69)

-Pegasus Centaurs are powerful humanoids, looking like Centaurs with a Pegasus replacing the Horse. Wings sprout from the sides of the creature (this would normally produce poor flying conditions on a creature with such a build, but they are known to be quite magical), making it a much more dangerous foe. Pegasus Centaurs are seen in mercenary armies (especially in Gallea), where they harry and attack behind enemy lines, striking with great power. On average, a Pegasus Centaur is much mightier than a common one- even a Lancer.
Jabroniville

Ankheg

Post by Jabroniville »

ANKHEG
Role:
Burrowing Giant Insect
PL 7 (90)- Minion Rank 6, Sidekick Rank 18
Normal Version:
PL 5-6
STRENGTH 7 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -5

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+7)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+3)
Intimidation 9 (+5 Size)
Perception 7 (+7)

Advantages: 
Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Startle

Powers:
"Insect Physiology"
"Insect Senses" Senses 3 (Acute Scent, Radius Sight, Direction Sense) [3]
"Tremorsense" Senses 3 (Accurate Ranged Touch) [3]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
"Chitinous Exoskeleton" Protection 3 (Extras: Impervious 5) [8]
Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling 2) [4]
"Ant-Like Strength" Power-Lifting 2 (12 tons) [2]
Features 1: Leaves Pheromone Trail All Ankheg Can Follow [1]
Extra Limbs 2 [2]

"Natural Size" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]
Reach 1 [1]
Burrowing 7 (8 mph) [7]
"Spit Acid" Damage 7 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (Flaws: Limited to 5 Uses) Linked to Weaken Toughness 7 (Extras: Affects Objects, Area- 30ft. Line) (Flaws: Limited to 5 Uses) [21]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Spit Acid +7 Area (+7 Damage & Weaken, DC 22 & 17)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +8 (+3 Impervious), Fortitude +7, Will +0

Complications: 
Disabled (Animal)- Ankhegs cannot speak to humans, nor use their legs to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 8 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 61 / Defenses: 8 (90)

Era: Fantasy Realms
Range: Desert regions, forests, plains
Colouring: Black, red, orange, brown, yellow
Size: Up to 10 feet long (600-1,000 lbs.)
Encounter Groups: Solitary or clusters (2-5).
Diet: Flesh.
Tactics: Ambush predator, using acid only sparingly.

-Ankheg are powerful ambush predators that inhabit many territories, but always maintain tunnels underground. They are highly-efficient, able to kill and eat a large Cow once every 2 weeks to maintain their strength. They fight by detecting moving creatures using their Tremorsense, and lash out quickly with their large mandibles, dragging the prey beneath the earth. Though often feared by farmers, their tunnels may help aerate crops.

Jab's Notes: Just a minor-league D&D monster, though I felt like building one. It takes a lot from my Giant Ant build, and throws on a powerful Acid Stream, Tremorsense and Burrowing, making a pretty scary Ambush Predator. The Acid is a bit limited thanks to it's 5/day rule (I didn't want to go with the original "once every six hours" rule, as that renders it almost entirely useless), but it gives the build some character, I think.
Jabroniville

Sandshrew

Post by Jabroniville »

Roughly the size of a Coyote, this small, round creature resembles a walking pinecone built up of concrete slabs instead of animal tissue. It's small, pointy head has a pair of big, black eyes. Altogether, it looks harmless, but tough.

SANDSHREW
Role:
Underground Super-Cute Monster
PL 5 (81)- Minion Rank 6, Sidekick Rank 17
Normal Version:
PL 3-4 
STRENGTH 1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills: 
Expertise (Survival) 3 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+0)
Perception 3 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Ground-Based Attacks) 4 (+6)
Stealth +0 (+3, +11 Deserts)

Advantages:
Close Attack, Evasion, Improved Critical (Scratch), Improved Defense, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 1, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent) [3]
"Stony Armour" Protection 2 [2]

"Ground-Type Magical Creature"
Immunity 10 (Earth Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [5]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Deserts/Underground) [2]
Enhanced Skills: Stealth 8 (+8) (Flaws: Limited to Desert Areas) [2]
Burrowing 7 (8 mph) [7]

"Sandstorm" Environment 3 (120 feet) (Impede Movement 2, Visibility 2) Linked to Damage 5 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (22) -- [24]
AE: "Scratch" Strength-Damage +3 (3)
AE: "Sand Attack" Dazzle Visuals 5 (10)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Scratch +6 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Sand Attack +5 (+5 Ranged Affliction, DC 15)
Sandstorm +4 Area (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +3 (+5 Armour), Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Sandshrew cannot speak to humans.
Weakness (Water, Ice & Plant-Based Damage)- Sandshrew's creature type leaves it vulnerable to certain types of attack.

Total: Abilities: 16 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 45 / Defenses: 6 (81)

Era: Fantasty Worlds
Range: Deserts, Mountains, Grasslands
Colouring: Yellow, brown
Size: Up to 4 feet long (40-90 lbs.)
Encounter Groups: Solitary to Large Clusters
Diet: Insects (normal and Giant)
Tactics: Dazzling with Sand Attacks, fleeing using Burrowing.

-Sandshrew are a common desert-born race of Pangolin-like creatures that live in the sands instead of the trees. Communal and insect-eating, they rarely interact with Humans unless sought out, though they take to training like a fish to water, and can be used as excellent Desert Scout Animal Companions. They are not nearly as defenseless as they look- They have vicious claws, can blind attackers with a Sand Attack (based off of sand they've consumed for this exact purpose), and they can even whip the very earth around them into a visibility-altering, violent frenzy.

Jab's Notes: Sandshrew was in one of the first Pokémon episodes I ever saw, and I thought it was about the cutest dang thing ever- LOOK AT IT'S BIG OL' BLACK EYES AND TELL ME IT IS NOT CUTE!! It did pretty well against Pikachu (Ash was still learning that Electric-types can't beat Ground types unless they do cheating that you can't actually do in the video games), but wasn't one of the more common types. Still, I love the damn thing. It's built with less power and Alt-Effects than many of it's smaller contemporaries (in the show it's like 2 feet tall, but I gave it reasonable strength and size here- it's size is relatively unimportant) like Pikachu, Bulbasaur, etc. It's Sandstorm power is pretty cool, whipping out an Area Effect damage & Environment power combined- getting close may prove difficult.
Jabroniville

Greenskins

Post by Jabroniville »

Castellia- The Greenskins-

-The races collectively known as Greenskins entail four separate races of creatures, all generally being green in colour (though brown and grey are well-known and fairly common); the Goblins (Common and Forest varieties), Hobgoblins (a man-like race found in Western lands), Orcs (Common, Savage, Black and Blood Orc varieties) and Bugbears (a larger, hairy, wild offshoot). Known for being simple-minded, quick-breeding and cruel, they are the most feared populous race on the continent, and are found all over. Their largest populations are in the Western portion of Castellia, which is where the only Kingdoms are found- most Greenskins band together in loosely-knit tribes and bands that break up as soon as the leader is defeated. These Kingdoms are very powerful, and often send out armies to conquer new lands.

-A very warlike breed (this is both a genetic and religious element- the Gods that created them are simple-minded and dangerous, provoking warfare amongst their followers), Greenskins are disliked and mistrusted everywhere. They are a "Boogeyman" figure in all Western lands, frequently appearing every year to raid and pillage Human & Dwarf territory. Even in the East, Orc & Goblin warbands are a common sight, though they lack the sheer numbers of those in the West (the Humans & Dwarves act as a barrier). Generally, Orcs are almost always in charge, with Hobgoblins being rather rare by comparison. The Goblins make up their slaves and minions, being bossed around cruelly. Bugbears, the largest of the Greenskins (they are, in fact, mostly brown), are tougher than Orcs, but are less numerous and more thick-headed, so are usually happy to be the most well-paid members of Warbands.

-Greenskins are so warlike that they usually end up just warring against each other as often as not. Usually over the most trivial things (such as "who gets the shiny trophy from the last village we raided"), and often over deciding the new leader. Greenskin size varies dramatically- Goblins are around four feet tall most of the time, while Hobgoblins are as big as men (and rarely go shorter or taller), and Orcs can vary from six to eight feet tall- it is said that Greenskins keep growing until something defeats them and "puts them in their place"- this may explain why the mightiest Warbosses (as Orc Leaders call themselves) tend to be enormous, much wider than any man.

Jab's Notes:
Orcs, created largely by J.R.R. Tolkien and modified by several others over the decades, are pretty much the classic "Race of Evil" in Fantasy. See, since the heroes are all warriors, they gots to kill hundreds of people in war, right? But this makes things really freaky, bloody and violent, and it makes you wonder just how good these "heroes" really are after all. After all, it'd be kinda hard to see Aragorn & Gandalf as so nice if they were sending scores of human beings to their deaths, regardless of how evil they were, right? The solution? An ENTIRE RACE full of crazy, evil, psychotic monsters! It's a whole lot easier to justify the death of thousands if it's because they're inherently the creations of dark forces. Sort of like zombies, or how Villainous Mooks & Henchmen tend to wear Masks (Storm Troopers and all that). D&D uses them as almost the "Default" Evil Race- just wish they could finally settle on what their Orcs LOOKED like (not that GMs couldn't just change that at will).

I copied the Warhammer tendency to make all the "Green" races of the same species, as well as D&D's "Bugbears", who mainly exist to give players another big tough brute to kill when they're tired of killing Minotaurs & junk. Bugbears are The Big Guys, Orcs are The Violent Horde, Hobgoblins are The Orderly Evil, and Goblins are The Annoying Horde. I did away with the "Race of Evil" concept, but made them more the patrons of a RELIGION of Evil, which is why it's still okay to kill them.

Religion:
-Orcs worship Gork & Mork, two vastly powerful brothers who are single-minded in their attempt at world conquest. They allied with their Generation of Gods (the Gods of Elves, Men, Dwarves and Beastkin) to usurp control from the Gods of the Giants after being promised more power, though they admired & envied the Giants for their strength, size and dominance. Gork & Mork were created alongside weaker Gods Kelsnik (God of Sneakiness & Craftiness) & Kiragg (God of Military Order), who were closely related to them, and bred the other races of Greenskins. Desiring mightier allies, they bred multiple strong Orcs together with wild Beastkin to make the Bugbears.

-Soon after the Giants were usurped, the Greenskin Gods began to squabble with the other Gods, and then amongst themselves, creating a massive schism. The Hobgoblins became an unfriendly, militaristic race that only allied with the other Greenskins, rather than being subserviant to them, and the Goblins became like slaves to the stronger Orcs.