Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Sudowoodo! Sunflora! Donphan!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Shock

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Ahuizotl! Manotaur! Century Worm!)

Post by Shock »

I always liked Otyughs and I'm curious how you're going to fit the garbage eaters into your setting
L-Space

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Ahuizotl! Manotaur! Century Worm!)

Post by L-Space »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:20 am So I'm on a bit of a Monster Manual kick at the moment, and I plan on statting up the remaining 107 entries I've not yet included in Castellia. Trying to find little roles for them to play will be interesting, as there's a LOT of redundancy built into D&D worlds. I'm gonna go and stat up each letter one at a time (otherwise I'll just skip the ones I don't care about as much until the end, lol), starting with the "R" section. Anything else in here any of you want to see statted up sooner rather than later?

Monster Manual:
A: Aasimar, Achaierai, Allip, Aranea, Arrowhawk, Animated Object, Azer
B: Barghest, Basilisk, Belker, Blink Dog, Bodak
C: Carrion Crawler, Celestials, Chaos Beast, Chimera, Choker, Chuul, Cloaker, Cockatrice, Couatl
D: Darkmantle, Delver, Destrachan, Devourer, Digester, Doppelganger, Dragon Turtle Dragonne, Drider, Dryad
E: Elementals, Ethereal Filcher & Marauder, Ettercap
F: Formian
G: Gargoyle, Genie, Gibbering Mouther, Girallon, Giant Eagle, Giant Owl, Golems, Gorgon, Grick, Gray Render, Grimlock
H: Hags, Harpy, Hell Hound, Hippogriff, Homunculus, Howler, Hydra
I: Invisible Stalker
K: Kraken, Krenshar
L: Lamia, Lammasu, Lillend
M: Magmin, Manticore, Medusda, Mephit, Mimic, Mohrg
N: Naga, Nightshades, Nymph
O: Otyugh
P: Pegasus, Phase Spider, Phasm, Pseudodragon
R: Rakshasa, Remorhaz, Roper, Rust Monster, Rast, Ravid
S: Salamander, Shadow Mastiff, Shield Guardian, Shocker Lizard, Skum, Slaads, Spectre, Sphinxes, Spider Eater, Sprites, Stirge
T: Tarrasque, Tiefling, Thoqqua, Tojanida, Troglodyte, Treant
U: Unicorn
V: Vampire Spawn, Vargouille, Vampire
W: Will O'Wisp, Worg, Wraith, Wyvern
X: Xill, Xorn
Y: Yeth Hound, Yrthak, Yuan-Ti

I'll also be adding a few more Pokemon as times goes on. Next one will be another D&D Plant- one that also fits a Pokemon, so it's two for the price of one :).
I'd like to see the Tarrasque (curious what the end point/level will be), but would also be cool with the P section as I'm a fan of Phase Spiders and Pseudodragons.
Formerly luketheduke86
Jabroniville

Shambling Mound

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImageImage

SHAMBLING MOUND
Role:
Random Threat
PL 7 (69)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE --

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+8)
Perception 6 (+5)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold

Powers:
Immunity 10 (Water Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [5]
Immunity 10 (Electrical Effects) [10]

"Vines" Snare 6 (Feats: Accurate 3) [21]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Vines +6 (+6 Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will --

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Plants cannot speak to humans, nor use their vines to easily manipulate objects.
Weakness (Cold Climates)- Plants cannot easily withstand cold temperatures.

Total: Abilities: 20 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 5 (69)

-Shambling Mounds are living plants believed to be created by proximity to Ley Lines, as they appear in many regions, taking on the appearance of the local flora. For unknown reasons, they tend to take bipedal appearance, with larger specimens walking on all fours like great apes. Their base forms are said to be rather plain and brown- appearing to be "fleshy" plant matter with recognizable eyes beneath the vines. Most of the time, they are covered head-to-toe in leaf-like matter.

Jab's Notes: Tangela are a pretty weak-ass Pokemon. Appearing in the very first game as one of the most obvious "Filler" creatures, it had no Evolutions, and was a plain old Grass-Type that was basically "vines with eyes" as far as its design went. VERY weak. It only rarely appears in the series, and never in major roles, and even in the first game, you don't get them until a bit later, as the first ones you encounter are Level 28, minimum.

-Very, VERY late in the series, in the Diamond/Pearl era, Tangela finally had an Evolution- Tangrowth, which had Sasquatch-like proportions and really long arms.

-And, as you can see, I've merged D&D's Shambling Mound with Pokemon's Tangela/Tangrowth. I was always planning on doing Tangela up like a Gorilla made of plants, but flipping through the Monster Manual for Plants and recognizing this thing is basically the same sort of deal, I decided to merge them together. That Shambling Mounds have an Immunity to the same thing Grass-Types are strong against (Electricity) was just icing on the cake. So now Tangela acts as a heavily-muscled plant primate.
Jabroniville

Rast

Post by Jabroniville »

RAST
Role:
Random Threat
PL 5 (54)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Intimidation 4 (+5)
Stealth 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Benefit (Ambidexterity), Close Attack, Fast Grab

Powers:
"Paralyzing Gaze" Affliction 4 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Paralyzed) (Feats: Accurate 3) (Extras: Ranged) (11) -- [13]
  • AE: "Blood Drain" Weaken Strength 4 (4)
  • AE: "Many Arms" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach) (Extras: Multiattack 4) (8)
Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) [2]
Immunity 10 (Fire Effects) [10]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Many Arms +6 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Blood Drain +6 (+4 Weaken, DC 14)
Paralyzing Gaze +6 (+4 Ranged Affliction, DC 14)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +5, Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Rasts cannot speak to humans, nor use their limbs to easily manipulate objects.
Vulnerable (Cold)- Rasts take extra damage from cold-based attacks.

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 25 / Defenses: 4 (54)

Era: Fantasy Worlds
Range: Hot Regions.
Colouring: Purple, red, orange, yellow.
Size: Seven-foot leg-span (up to 200 lbs.)
Encounter Groups: Solitary or small groups (2-10)
Tactics: Lash out with all limbs; try to flee if possible.

-Rasts are creatures native to the Elemental Plane of Fire, and typically fight in swarms. Demon-headed creatures with tiny bodies surrounded by numerous spider-like legs they lash out with extreme prejudice, and eat nearly continuously if allowed to roam free.

Jab's Notes: Rasts are one of the most visually-distinctive beasts in the 3e Monster Manual, looking like a weird dog head surrounded by spider-legs. It's really goofy, interesting fun.
Spectrum

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Manotaur! Century Worm! Shambling Mound!)

Post by Spectrum »

Neogi (spidersnakes) and their slave servants Umberhulks, are a guilty pleasure of mine.

Flumphs ard also nifty, far flung do gooders that scare those that seek away because they're so freaking odd

I've also been reading up on SCPs. Some of those might fun challenges, exploring how some of the more odd aspects of M&M work together.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

What's an SCP?
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

This video is a good starting point, explaining it better than I can. It's a huge subject and I'm still nibbling at the edges.

As far as specific SCP creatures that could fit well into Castellia:
1. Hard to kill reptile
2. The Plague Doctor
3. The Gate Keeper
4. Eyepods
5. The Human Skeleton Closet (and his cast)
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Spectrum wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:28 pm This video is a good starting point, explaining it better than I can. It's a huge subject and I'm still nibbling at the edges.

As far as specific SCP creatures that could fit well into Castellia:
1. Hard to kill reptile
2. The Plague Doctor
3. The Gate Keeper
4. Eyepods
5. The Human Skeleton Closet (and his cast)
Everything can also be found on Youtube if that would be easier for you.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Much simpler answer

"In-universe, the SCP Foundation is a secret organization entrusted by governments around the globe to contain and study anomalous individuals, entities, locations, objects, and phenomena that defy natural law (referred to as SCPs)"

So it's basically a generic version of BPRD
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Shock wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:03 am Much simpler answer

"In-universe, the SCP Foundation is a secret organization entrusted by governments around the globe to contain and study anomalous individuals, entities, locations, objects, and phenomena that defy natural law (referred to as SCPs)"

So it's basically a generic version of BPRD
Well now I have to look up what a "BPRD" is :).

But yeah, I remember these things now. Not a fan, really- the writing style is a bit too vague and annoying with all the redacted stuff, and I never really get the "creepy" vibe from them that I'm supposed to. Or maybe I just read the best one first (some monster that only attacked if you were looking at it), and it spoiled me for all the others!
Jabroniville

Ravid

Post by Jabroniville »

RAVID
Role:
Random Threat
PL 5 (53), PL 7 (53) to Undead
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Stealth 6 (+7)
Perception 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Close Attack, Fast Grab

Powers:
Flight 4 (30 mph) [8]
"Positive Energy Lash" Damage 8 (Flaws: Limited to Undead) [4]
"Animated Objects" Summon 2 (Object) (Extras: Active) (Flaws: Source- Objects) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Positive Energy +5 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Ravids cannot speak to humans, nor use their limbs to easily manipulate objects. They also have only a single limb.

Total: Abilities: 20 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 16 / Defenses: 8 (53)

-Ravids are strange magical creatures who resemble serpentine dragons with a single arm projecting off of one side. They are believed to be distant relations to Dragons, albeit far less intelligent and with fewer powers. Their otherdimensional nature manifests in their "Positive Energy" abilities. It is believed by some that the creatures are Drakes that have been modified by powerful wizardry to act as "Undead-Killers" who move about the various planes, hunting down undead creatures and destroying them.

Jab's Notes: Ravids are very strange- I'm not sure why they saw fit to include "one-armed dragon thing that floats around unintelligently," with powers seemingly drawn from random. It doesn't really fit any kind of niche, has no motivation, and it's overall pretty vague. The design is fairly interesting, though- a one-armed serpent?
Jabroniville

Roc

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImageImage

The Roc says, "Know your role, and SHUT your mouth!"

ROC (Aquila reallygigantes)
Role:
Supreme Aerial Predator, Giant Monster
PL 12 (165)- Minion Rank 6, Sidekick Rank 18
Normal Version:
PL 6-7
STRENGTH 12 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+5)
Close Combat (Natural Weapons) 4 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 8 (+8)
Intimidation 11 (+15 Size)
Perception 8 (+8)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons) 2, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Startle

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Extended, Ultra & Low-Light Vision) [3]
"Natural Weapons- Talons & Beak" Strength-Damage +4 (Extras: Penetrating 12) [16]

Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [6]

"Natural Size" Growth 12 (Str & Sta +12, +12 Mass, +6 Intimidation, -6 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -12 Stealth) -- (60 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [25]
Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 10) [12]
"Wing Sweep" Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3) (48) -- [50]
  • AE: "Wing Storm" Move Object 12 (Extras: Area- 240ft. Cone +3) (Flaws: Touch Range, Limited to Away) (36)
  • AE: "Wing Storm- Knockback" Affliction 12 (Strength; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 240ft. Cone +3) (Flaws: Instant Recovery, Limited Degree) (24)
Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Natural Weapons +8 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Wing Storm +12 Area (+12 Affliction, DC 22)
Wing Sweep +12 Area (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +14, Fortitude +16, Will +8

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Birds cannot speak to humans, nor use their talons to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: -4 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 112 / Defenses: 32 (165)

Era: Fantasy Realms
Range: Open Plains & Cliffs
Stereotypes: Mindless Beast.
Colouring: Dark brown & tawny
Size: Up to 60 feet long (20-30 tons)
Encounter Groups: Solitary or pairs.
Diet: Elephants, hippos, whales, hoofed mammals
Tactics: Dive-bomb from above with lethal weapons.

-Rocs are legendary as the largest birds of all time- among the largest animals in Castellia. Absolutely massive creatures, they are known to cart off elephants and whales. Many people doubt the existence of these birds of prey, as their dietary requirements should strip entire countrysides of wildlife, especially if they have breeding populations. It turns out, however, that Rocs, like many gigantic creatures, do not eat as often as smaller creatures would- a single elephant can sustain a Roc for up to a month. Some also take advantage of the rapidly-breeding creatures such as Bralox.

-Sightings of Rocs are considered omens in many parts of the world- some good, some ill. Many creatures worship them, while others attempt to enslave them- their uses in air travel are staggering in scope, but Rocs are relatively untrainable- even infants are too dangerous to be adequately trained.

Jab's Notes: The biggest bird of all, and one repeatedly brought up in ancient literature as a real creature, was the Roc (sometimes called the Thunderbird). Such a massive, WHALE CATCHING predator of course could obviously never exist based off of what we know about science, flight, biology, evolution, and the general size of predators relative to prey. But it's still pretty honkin' cool to think of a 60-foot bird with a 120-foot wingspan flying in, grabbing a Humpback Whale, and flying off to eat it. Granted, it messes with our concept of a realistic Ecology in a setting, because how in hell do you keep something like THAT fed? Of course, Ecology in a FANTASY SETTING is often rather dumb to even think about, given how everything's magic and completely-outlandish in the FIRST place. Me, I either just invent creatures that are both fast-breeding and huge (thus providing meals for countless Apex Predators), or figure that since these are magical creatures, they naturally don't need to eat much.

-Rocs don't appear much in myth, and not a lot of movies use them, likely do to problems scaling such a thing in shots (Krakens and stuff, you can just show random limbs and the like- a giant bird you'd almost have to show the whole thing). Hard to animate properly when it wouldn't fit in any frame with other characters in it, and WAY too hard to put into live-action stuff. Even so, it's a pretty crazy thing to throw a party's way, even if they're superhumans and can shoot fire and crap, so it's still pretty devastating.

-The Roc stats up as a PL 12 nightmare while fairly short on points, but it's packing the standard "Giant Creature" array of stuff. It's Wings can call up huge storms that push everything away, damage creatures in a massive wing-slap, or just knock everyone down.
Jabroniville

Phoenix

Post by Jabroniville »

PHOENIX
Role:
Supreme Aerial Predator, Giant Monster
PL 14 (257)- Minion Rank 6, Sidekick Rank 18
Normal Version:
PL 6-7
STRENGTH 12 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+5)
Close Combat (Natural Weapons) 4 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 8 (+8)
Intimidation 11 (+15 Size)
Perception 8 (+8)
Ranged Combat (Fire) 10 (+10)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons) 2, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Startle

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Extended, Ultra & Low-Light Vision) [3]
"Natural Weapons- Talons & Beak" Strength-Damage +4 (Extras: Penetrating 12) [16]

Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [6]

"Natural Size" Growth 12 (Str & Sta +12, +12 Mass, +6 Intimidation, -6 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -12 Stealth) -- (60 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [25]
Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 10) [12]

"Fire Type" Immunity 10 (Fire Effects) [10]
Immunity 20 (Plant & Ground Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [10]
Regeneration 6 (Flaws: Source- Lava) [3]
Immortality 1 [2]
Flame Aura 10 [40]

"Fire Wave" Damage 14 (Extras: Area- 250ft. Cone +3) (56) -- [66]
  • AE: "Fire Blast" Blast 15 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Extras: Secondary Effect 6) (42)
  • AE: "Fire Stream" Damage 14 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Line +3) (56)
  • AE: "Choking Smog" Blast 8 Linked to Weaken Strength 6 (Extras: Ranged, Progressive +2) (Flaws: Unreliable) (40)
  • AE: "Lava Plume" Damage 14 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3) (56)
  • AE: "Fire Storm" Environment 6 (1000 feet) (Heat 2) (12)
  • AE: "Boosted Aura" Flame Aura 5 (20)
  • AE: Healing 12 (Extras: Resurrection) (36)
  • AE: "Wing Sweep" Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3) (48)
  • AE: "Wing Storm" Move Object 12 (Extras: Area- 240ft. Cone +3) (Flaws: Touch Range, Limited to Away) (36)
  • AE: "Wing Storm- Knockback" Affliction 12 (Strength; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 240ft. Cone +3) (Flaws: Instant Recovery, Limited Degree) (24)
Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Natural Weapons +8 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Wing Storm +12 Area (+12 Affliction, DC 22)
Wing Sweep +12 Area (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Fire Blast +10 (+16 Ranged Damage, DC 31)
Flame Aura +8 (+10-15 Damage, DC 25-30)
Area Attacks +14 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +14, Fortitude +16, Will +12

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Birds cannot speak to humans, nor use their talons to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 0 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 193 / Defenses: 34 (257)

-The Phoenix is a singular creature- a massive bird that resembles a flaming Roc. Streaking fire behind it as it flies, the Phoenix is famously immortal, able to rise from the ashes and reform anew. The dying Phoenix lets out horrific amounts of flame, and quickly degenerates into a flaming heap. The Phoenix is an agent of death and rebirth, burning down entire forests and sometimes even cities, but enabling them to return as strong, or stronger, than before. The Phoenix does not communicate with other beings, so its exact purpose is not understood. Most cultures have a different name for the creature, and different beliefs in its true nature, though most understand its cycle of death and rebirth.

-Phoenix Feathers are among the rarest, most prized objects in the world- the act of acquiring them is beyond difficult (the Phoenix is mightier than anything short of the strongest Dragons), and they tend to disintegrate into ash very quickly. Only skilled spellcasters are able to keep the feathers "alive" with flame spells until they can be stabilized and transported.

Jab's Notes: I was gonna stat Ho-Oh, but then I realized that it's essentially a Phoenix (and the very similar Chinese "fenghuang", known as "ho-oh" in Japanese), so I slapped some fire stuff onto a Roc's build and created a super-monster. I made it a singular being, and enabled it to resurrect itself and other creatures, but gave it a mysterious, mythical role. Ho-Oh was quite notable in the Pokemon anime, as Ash spots one as soon as he starts his journey to become a Pokemon Trainer- a tremendous omen, given that it's so rare that Professor Oak explains it's extinct and that Ash couldn't have possibly seen one. Given that the original game has 151 Pokemon, none of which look like that, it was a sign that the line was meant to expand. Ho-Oh combines aspects of the mythical Phoenix with rainbows.
Jabroniville

Roper

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

ROPER
Role:
Hidden Monster
PL 7 (86)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Close Combat (Teeth) 2 (+7)
Intimidation 6 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Strands) 6 (+6)
Stealth 8 (+6 Size)
Perception 6 (+7)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Rope), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative 3, Startle

Powers:
Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]
"Stalagmite or Stalactite" Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) [2]
"Strands" Snare 6 (Feats: Tether) Linked to Weaken Strength 5 (Extras: Ranged) (29) -- [30]
  • AE: "Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Teeth +5 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Strands +6 (+6 Ranged Affliction & +5 Weaken, DC 16 & 15)
Initiative +12

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Ropers cannot speak to humans, nor use their limbs to easily manipulate objects.
Vulnerable (Fire Damage)

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 11 (86)

Era: Fantasy Worlds
Range: Any cave-like structures.
Colouring: Reds, browns, whites
Size: Up to 9 feet tall.
Encounter Groups: Solitary or small groups (2-10)
Tactics: Lash out with ensnaring "Strands", then pull target slowly towards mouth.

-Ropers are closely related to Wolf-In-Sheep's-Clothing, and similarly resemble inanimate objects- in this case, stalagmites and stalactites instead of tree stumps. However, Ropers are larger creatures, possessing a single large, central eye, and long tendrils that can elongate themselves from their initial, branch-like state. Ropers slowly camouflage themselves to their surroundings- if staying in icy caves, they turn white and transluscent; in earthy caves, they are brown. They specialize in lashing out at smaller creatures, then dragging them towards their huge maws, which can cause horrific damage with hundreds of tiny, serrated teeth.

Jab's Notes: Ropers are similar to Cloakers, Wolf-In-Sheep's Clothing and Mimics, in that they're supposed to pass for regular stuff, then lash out and kill the players. The Roper in the 3e Monster Manual is actually QUITE a devastating threat, having a full ten Hit Dice and packing some powerful saves. Personally, I think they're kinda silly-looking, so I downgraded its threat to a PL 6 instead of the D&D "CR 10", which is really quite high.

-Heh, checking DeviantArt shows some REALLY badass-looking Ropers- it appears I may have underestimated them based off of shitty 3e Monster Manual art :).
Goldar

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Rast! Ravid! Roc! Phoenix! Roper!)

Post by Goldar »

Oh! Ya got me again! First, I thought it was the cosmic Phoenix Force, and then I expected to see Stanley and maybe even Helen! You Trickster, you! :P