Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Sudowoodo! Sunflora! Donphan!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Naga

Post by Jabroniville »

NAGA
Role:
Snake-Monsters
PL 8 (79)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 8 (+11)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+8)
Perception 6 (+8)
Stealth 6 (+9, +7 Size)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Initiative 2, Move-By Action, Startle

Powers:
Immunity 3 (Aging, Poison, Disease) [3]
Senses 2 (Infravision, Acute Scent) [2]
"Snake Tail" Movement 1 (Slithering) [2]
Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (8 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Inititiative +11

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Various

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 11 (79)

-Nagas are powerful snake-like creatures with incredible, varied magic. They are typically serpentine, with human-like heads atop their bodies, though they vary greatly. Immortal beings, they nearly always have magical powers in addition to their great strength and venom.

Jab's Notes: Another Race in D&D I don't get, these are apparently Abberations, though hail from the mythology of South Asia- there, "nagas" are divine beings who take snakelike form. In D&D, they seem to vary, with some evil and others good.

Various Naga Types:

WATER NAGA- PL 8 (104): "Venomous Bite" Weaken Strength 6 (Progressive), Immunity (Drowning), Swimming 4, Env. Adaptation- Aquatic [25]
-Water Nagas are beautiful, emerald-green creatures with fiery red spines on their backs. They are usually solitary, prefering to be left alone, and rarely scheme for greater power.

SPIRIT NAGA- PL 8 (111): ST +1, STA +1, INT +2, AWA +1, PRE +1, "Venomous Bite" Sleep 7 (Progressive), "Charming Gaze" Mind Control 6 (Vision-Dependent) [32]
-Spirit Nagas have black bodies with crimson stripes. They are typically very evil, with the heads of smiling cobras.

DARK NAGA- PL 8 (110): STA +1, INT +1, AWA +1, PRE +1, "Venomous Bite" Weaken Strength 7 (Progressive), Immunity 2 (Mind-Reading) [31]
-Dark Nagas feature deep purple coloration, and resemble eels more than snakes. Usually evil, they prefer underground lairs, where they perch above potential victims. They are often seen in alliance with Dark Elves or other evil creatures of the Underdark- gregarious in spite of the thick, black oil pumping through their veins, they work best with others.

GUARDIAN NAGA- PL 8 (111): STA +2, INT +1, AWA +1, PRE +1, "Venomous Bite" Weaken Strength 7 (Progressive), "Spit Venom" Dazzle Visuals 8 [32]
-Guardian Nagas are green/gold in coloration, and usually warn off intruders before attacking. They are typically the largest and wisest of all Nagas, and are usually good-aligned creatures. They often subjugate Lizardmen tribes or other reptilian races as agents, and take great interest in learning new magic.
Jabroniville

Yuan-Ti

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

YUAN-TI
Typical Adult Height: 5'4"-6'5" or 8-15' long
Birth Rate: Clutch of 6-12 eggs once a year
Lifespan: 0-4 (Child), 5-10 (Young Adult), 11-499 (Adult), 500-700 (Elder)
Nicknames: Snake People
Sexual Dimorphism: Mammaries on more human-like specimens.
Skin Tones: Nearly any possible shade or design (Yellow, Red, Green, Blue, etc.)
Hair: Usually black, or none at all
Racial Mounts: None
Racial Weapons: Scimitars, spears
Religion: The Great Serpent (an evil serpentine God)

Allies: Skinks, Lizardmen, Kobolds, Dragons

Encounter Groups:
Solitary (1)
Group (2-8, plus 0-3 Elites)
Bands (8-13 plus 0-6 Elites, 0-2 Mounts, 0-5 Animals, 0-30 Skinks, 0-40 Kobolds, 0-1 Monster)

PL Variants:
PL 0-4: Weaker Specimens
PL 5: Common
PL 8+: Elites, Important Characters

-Yuan-Ti are infamous Snake People hailing from the same region as Nagas, and they are frequently confused for the human-headed snakes. However, Yuan-Ti are typically more randomly-mutated, with some specimens seeming human-esque until you get close (at which point their scaly skin or oddly-angled features become noticeable), while others resemble intelligent snakes. Nearly every possible combination in between is known as well- their patron God, the Great Serpent, deliberately enabled the race this variability, to make them multi-purposeful.

-Yuan-Ti are infamously evil, cunning and ruthless, even by the standards of other reptilian races, though there are good enclaves who worship beings other than The Great Serpent (who more or less recommends those dark traits). Yuan-Ti society is very hierarchal, with the more powerful members being given much more respect and deference in social situations. Little exists in discrimination between the more or less humanoid snake-people, as human-like ones tend towards greater magical power, while the more snake-like ones are greater warriors- in this sense, they are magnanimous in respecting power over appearance.

-Yuan-Ti typically seek power through secrecy and spycraft, and will usually "take over" a city via clandestine control over the city's elites, rather than a military invasion. Many an "exotic locale" is actually a literal nest of these vipers, and has a lethal "Honor Guard" or elite band of assassins guarding those in power- far-travelling adventurers would be wise to have Reptile-Locating trinkets or spells available to them when entering the deep jungles known to be home to Yuan-Ti.

Jab's Notes: Jesus, Yuan-Ti are HUGE with some D&D players. I've never really seen why they're so incredible, but I guess they're pretty ingenious in some ways, and definitely stand apart from the more boring "Generic Fantasy Races" the game is often stuck with. I assume a big portion of the fandom is into them for fetishistic reasons. Their stats include a lot of annoying Psionic Spells and other things- this indicates to me that they are a huge part of "Psionic"-themed settings, which might be where the popularity first came from.

-There's a certain degree of fun variability with the race, as there are three different "types" in the main rulebook, each one packing different sets of powers- I went a bit further, implementing different kinds of Snake Venom, as well as options for all their different powers. These things are practically "Rifts" creatures with all the varied stuff they add in.

YUAN-TI
Role:
Reptilian Mooks
PL 6 (54)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+6)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 3 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Equipment 2 (Sword +3 or Spear +2- Reach, Bow & Arrow), Improved Initiative, Startle

Powers:
Senses 4 (Accurate Infravision, Scent) [4]
Immunity 1 (Poison) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Weapon +6 (+4-5 Damage, DC 19-20)
Bow & Arrow +4 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Weakness (Cold)- As cold-blooded reptiles, Yuan-Ti are very prone to temperature change, and will not survive for long in winter habitats. Similarly, they will take additional afflictions from any Cold-based attack.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 11 / Defenses: 8 (54)

Yuan-Ti Mutations:
"Snake Tail Instead of Legs" Movement 1 (Slithering), Speed 2 (8 mph), Athletics +4, AGI +1, Fast Grab, Improved Hold [10]
-By far the most common Yuan-Ti mutation, these creatures will possess snake-like tails. This typically makes them much faster and more dextrous, but prevents them from acting as proper spies.

"Snake Head" Bite +1-2 [1-2]
-Most nake-like Yuan-Ti possess a snake's head, dealing extra damage.

"Snakes Instead Of Arms" Split 2, FIGHTING +2 [6]
-Relatively-uncommon, these Yuan-Ti typically do not fight with weapons, but tend to be much stronger.

"Extra-Scaly Skin" Protection 2-4 [2-4]

"Chamelon Power" Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Flaws: Blending) [2]
-These Yuan-Ti are ideal hunters, capable of remaining silent for hours and "disappearing" into the underbrush.

"Alternate Form" Morph 1 (Small Snake or Viper) (Feats: Metamorph) [6]

"Venomous Bite- Paralytic" Affliction (Fort; Dazed & Fatigued/Exhausted & Stunned/Incapacitated & Paralyzed) (Feats: Reach 2) (Extras: Extra Condition, Progression +2) (Quirk: Takes 3-4 Rounds to Start -2) (4 points per rank)

"Spitting Venom" Dazzle Visuals (Extras: Permanent +3) (Flaws: Uncontrolled on Permanent) (Diminished Range -3) (3 points per rank -3)
-Some Yuan-Ti possess the cobra-like ability to spit their venom, typically at the eyes of aggressors.

"Neurotoxic Venom" Affliction (Fort; Dazed & Fatigued/Exhausted & Stunned/Incapacitated & Paralyzed) (Feats: Reach 2) (Extras: Extra Condition, Progression +2) (Quirk: Takes 3-4 Rounds to Start -2) (4 points per rank)
-Belonging to Cobras & Mambas, Paralytic Venoms essentially paralyze you to death.

"Hemotoxic Venom" Weaken Stamina 7 (Feats: Reach) (Extras: Progression +2) (Quirk: Takes 3-4 Rounds to Start -2) Linked to Affliction (Fort; Fatigued/Stunned/Paralyzed) (Feats: Reach) (Extras: Progression +2) (Quirk: Takes 3-4 Rounds to Start -2) (6 points per rank -2)
-Blood-poisoning venoms.

"Cytotoxic Venom" Weaken Stamina (Feats: Reach) (Extras: Progression +2) (Quirk: Takes 3-4 Rounds to Start -2) Linked to Affliction (Fort; Fatigued/Stunned/Paralyzed) (Feats: Reach) (Extras: Progression +2) (Quirk: Takes 3-4 Rounds to Start -2) (6 points per rank -2)
-Cell-poisoning venoms, essentially working the same as Hemotoxins statistically- decaying flesh.

Psionic Powers:
* Many Yuan-Ti possess Psionic powers, typically based around Violet Magic. Typical spell choices are to cause fear, paralysis, put things into trances, or just Mind Control. Others wield different kinds of Magic, typically based around Shapechanging or Venom & Poison.

"Aversion" Affliction (Will; Impaired/Hindered/Controlled) (Extras: Perception-Ranged +2, Cumulative) (Flaws: Limited to Against Any Snakes, Final Rank Limited to Aversion To Snakes) (2.5 points per rank)
Batgirl III

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Manticore! Mohrg! Medusa! Naga! Yuan-Ti!)

Post by Batgirl III »

Jab's Notes: Jesus, Yuan-Ti are HUGE with some D&D players. I've never really seen why they're so incredible, but I guess they're pretty ingenious in some ways, and definitely stand apart from the more boring "Generic Fantasy Races" the game is often stuck with. I assume a big portion of the fandom is into them for fetishistic reasons. Their stats include a lot of annoying Psionic Spells and other things- this indicates to me that they are a huge part of "Psionic"-themed settings, which might be where the popularity first came from.
I’ve always liked the Yuan-Ti as a substitute for the “Civilized But Evil” race that is usually filled by Dark Elves in other fantasy settings (e.g., Warhammer’s Dark Elves, WH40k’s Dark Eldar, D&D’s Drow, and going further afield even Star Trek’s Romulans are
Kinda Dark Elf-y). Especially when I’m going for a more pulp-y, swords-and-sorcery feel and less of a high fantasy one... It’s probably because of James Earl Jones’ performance in Conan the Barbarian and the general Southeast Asian jungle lost temple theme, but Yuan-Ti just feel more “old school” to me.

And yes, the semi-fetishized aspect too. I like my “Civilized But Evil” species to be rather decadent and indulgent, lording it over masses of slaves and being absolutely black-hearted bastards... But so damn suave, sexy and confident that you almost feel tempted to join them.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 3:00 pm But so damn suave, sexy and confident that you almost feel tempted to join them.
suave, sexy and confident wrote: So, do you want to see my snake-monster?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 3:00 pm
I’ve always liked the Yuan-Ti as a substitute for the “Civilized But Evil” race that is usually filled by Dark Elves in other fantasy settings (e.g., Warhammer’s Dark Elves, WH40k’s Dark Eldar, D&D’s Drow, and going further afield even Star Trek’s Romulans are
Kinda Dark Elf-y). Especially when I’m going for a more pulp-y, swords-and-sorcery feel and less of a high fantasy one... It’s probably because of James Earl Jones’ performance in Conan the Barbarian and the general Southeast Asian jungle lost temple theme, but Yuan-Ti just feel more “old school” to me.

And yes, the semi-fetishized aspect too. I like my “Civilized But Evil” species to be rather decadent and indulgent, lording it over masses of slaves and being absolutely black-hearted bastards... But so damn suave, sexy and confident that you almost feel tempted to join them.
Yeha ia gree with BG alot of it is that variaton from the typical Orc Warlord or goblin raider or even evil humans or Dark elves. gives the players a differt challenge from go in crack skulls till something calls uncle.

Cant do that with the Yuanti because the city guard finds you molesting the merchantand threatning the snake bastard and sudenly you're the one in jail or running for your life from the mob inspite of the guys snake like yes and forked tongue.

And of course the notion of the sensual snake priestest or sorceress classic sword and sorcery trope there.

lots of mileage to be gotten from them as an antagonist race
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Woodclaw

Re: Yuan-Ti

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 3:00 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 10:34 amJab's Notes: Jesus, Yuan-Ti are HUGE with some D&D players. I've never really seen why they're so incredible, but I guess they're pretty ingenious in some ways, and definitely stand apart from the more boring "Generic Fantasy Races" the game is often stuck with. I assume a big portion of the fandom is into them for fetishistic reasons. Their stats include a lot of annoying Psionic Spells and other things- this indicates to me that they are a huge part of "Psionic"-themed settings, which might be where the popularity first came from.

-There's a certain degree of fun variability with the race, as there are three different "types" in the main rulebook, each one packing different sets of powers- I went a bit further, implementing different kinds of Snake Venom, as well as options for all their different powers. These things are practically "Rifts" creatures with all the varied stuff they add in.

Yuan-Ti are the kind of creatures that, for me can go from fantastic to boring in space of two breaths. They look cool, they have lot of potential and a really powerful imaginary behind them, but I've seen them played as mustache-twirling (okay, maybe tail twirling) villains enough to be a wary of the entire concept.

Maybe it's just that hate to think about any humanoid race a dinherently evil. Heck in my games orcs are usually raiders because they are forced to live in territories that just can't sustain their population as it is.

Still, the cool thing about Yuan-Ti (and snake people in general) is that they have a distinct pulp-ish feeling to them. Orcs, goblins and elves are staple of the epic fantasy and they all have a "connection" of sort to humans, they're -- in a way -- understandable. Snakemen are different. Maybe it's their "cold-blooded" nature and imagery, but they feel much more alien, in the same way R.E. Howard represented wizards. They might look humanoid, but they aren't they feel much more distant and dangerous.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ken wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 4:19 pm
Batgirl III wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 3:00 pm But so damn suave, sexy and confident that you almost feel tempted to join them.
suave, sexy and confident wrote: So, do you want to see my snake-monster?
Bo,bad ken,bad!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Woodclaw wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 10:33 pm Yuan-Ti are the kind of creatures that, for me can go from fantastic to boring in space of two breaths. They look cool, they have lot of potential and a really powerful imaginary behind them, but I've seen them played as mustache-twirling (okay, maybe tail twirling) villains enough to be a wary of the entire concept.

Maybe it's just that hate to think about any humanoid race a dinherently evil. Heck in my games orcs are usually raiders because they are forced to live in territories that just can't sustain their population as it is.
Ah, I can see that.

Typically, I can take or leave "Race of Evil" tropes- it makes the heroes seem more heroic to kill things that are inherently evil, and is probably why so many High Fantasy writers create Orc-like menaces (and why the heroes in Star Wars generally only shoot masked or monstrous foes). But I myself don't use that in Castellia- my Greenskins, for example, are evil not really because it's born into the races, but because they'd adopted barbarous cultures and worship Gods that demand evil acts and sacrifice. To me, that's probably EVEN SCARIER, because it gives more choice to their evil. And adds in some moral ambiguity to the heroes just mowing them down like disposable nothings.

Racism would be a lot more interesting in a realm of Orcs & Goblins (assumed to be uncivilized, barbaric & evil), Beast-Kin (almost inborne to be savage, possibly intended to take all of Castellia by force and creating a new era), Dragons (former rulers), Giants (former rulers also), and more.
Still, the cool thing about Yuan-Ti (and snake people in general) is that they have a distinct pulp-ish feeling to them. Orcs, goblins and elves are staple of the epic fantasy and they all have a "connection" of sort to humans, they're -- in a way -- understandable. Snakemen are different. Maybe it's their "cold-blooded" nature and imagery, but they feel much more alien, in the same way R.E. Howard represented wizards. They might look humanoid, but they aren't they feel much more distant and dangerous.
Yeah, I guess you're right. Marvel's Conan fought a lot of Lizard-People- generally, if his enemy wasn't human, it was scaled.
Jabroniville

Mephits

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

MEPHIT
Role:
Pests, Elementals
PL 4 (57)- Minion Rank 4, Sidekick Rank 12
Normal Version:
PL 2-3
STRENGTH -1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+6 Size)

Advantages:
Evasion, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Natural Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
(-1 Strength, +2 Dodge/Parry, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation)

Regeneration 4 (Flaws: Source- Specific Environment) [2]
"Claws" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Claws +4 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +3

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 7 (57)

-Mephits are short humanoid creatures that resemble Demons, but are actually Elemental creatures, hailing from the Planes themselves. They are infamously chaotic, and may be either mischievous, incredibly-annoying, or dangerous. Most possess a Breath Weapon of some sort, and may heal within their natural element.

Jab's Notes: I keep imagining these things as being ultra-tiny, but they're more like dwarfs (people-dwarfs, not Fantasy Dwarfs). I don't know quite what role they're supposed to play in the game- maybe Early-Level Elemental Threats? They're only CR 3 and have weak Claw attacks and Breath Weapons that have really tiny Save DCs (typically 12-14). The Monster Manual kind of moves stuff around to make them more or less the same effective level.

Mephit Types:

AIR MEPHIT- PL 4 (71): Flight 3, Improved Initiative, "Vapor" Concealment (Visuals, Blending), "Dust Breath" 30ft. Cone Damage 3 [14]
-Air Mephits have small cyclones instead of legs, and are cloud-white. They weigh less than one pound, despite being about four feet tall. They heal in windy environments, and hail from the Plane of Air.

DUST MEPHIT- PL 4 (68): Flight 2, "Dust Breath" 30ft. Cone Damage 4, "Particle Storm" Affliction 4 (Fort; Impaired/Disabled) (Burst Area, Limited Degree) [11]
-Dust Mephits are grim, tragic-looking individuals. They are stereotyped as having a "morbid fascination with death". They heal in areas of dust and dirt, and hail from the Plane of Earth.

EARTH MEPHIT- PL 4 (69): ST +1, STA +1, AGI -1, "Rock Storm" 30ft. Cone Damage 4, "Soften Earth" Transform Stone 2 [12]
-Flightless creatures, these are stockier and tougher than other Mephits. They heal amidst stone, and hail from the Plane of Earth.

FIRE MEPHIT- PL 4 (81): Flight 2, "Fire Breath" 30ft. Cone Damage 4, AE: Fire Blast 3, Fire Aura 2, Immunity to Fire Damage [24]
-Fire Mephits are easily mistaken for Devils, and are typically wary around Castellian humanoids for this reason. They heal when within flames, but take extra damage from cold. They hail from the Plane of Fire.

ICE MEPHIT- PL 4 (70): STA +1, Flight 2, "Ice Shards" 30ft. Cone Damage 3, AE: Environment (Cold) 2, Immunity (Cold) [13]
-Ice Mephits are aloof, translucent creatures. They heal in deep cold, or within snow and ice, and hail from the Plane of Water.

MAGMA MEPHIT- PL 4 (86): Flight 2, "Fire Breath" 30ft. Cone Damage 4, AE: Fire Blast 3, "Lava Form" Insubsantial 1, Fire Aura 2, Immunity to Fire Damage [29]
-Slow-witted and dull, Magma Mephits are among the heaviest Mephits at 60 pounds. They heal within their magma-ridden home, and hail from the Plane of Fire.

OOZE MEPHIT- PL 4 (87): ST +1, "Caustic Liquid" 30ft. Cone Damage 2 & Weaken Toughness (Affects Objects) 4, AE: Environment (Visibility) 2, Insubstantial 1, Acid Aura 1 (Damage & Weaken) [30]
-Filthy, disgusting creatures, Ooze Mephits are flightless but dangerous, giving off acidic traits. They heal within acidic or ooze-like surfaces, and hail from the Plane of Water.

SALT MEPHIT- PL 4 (69): ST +1, "Salt Crystals" Dazzle Visuals 4 (30ft. Cone, Touch Range), Flight 2 [12]
-Moisture-avoiding creatures, Salt Mephits are mysterious and little understood, but are known to be sarcastic creatures. They heal in highly salinic or arid environments, and hail from the Plane of Earth.

STEAM MEPHIT- PL 4 (81): Flight 2, "Cone of Steam" 30ft. Cone Damage 3, Insubstantial 3 (One/Day), Immunity (Heat, Fire Damage) [24]
-Steam Mephits are extremely arrogant and hot-tempered. They heal amidst hot temperatures or boiling water. They hail from the regions where the Plane of Fire intersects with the Plane of Water.

WATER MEPHIT- PL 4 (71): ST +1, Improved Initiative, "Water Jet" 15ft. Line Damage 3, Swimming 4, Immunity (Drowning, Pressure) [14]
-Probably the most annoying Mephits, these are mischievous creatures who resemble Merpeople. They heal amidst water, and hail from the Plane of Water.
Jabroniville

Nightshades

Post by Jabroniville »

NIGHTSHADES
Role:
Super-Undead
PL 10 (233)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Intimidation 6 (+10)
Perception 4 (+8)
Stealth 6 (+9, +3 Size)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Ranged Attack 6, Startle

Powers:
"Undead"
Immunity 35 (Fortitude Effects, Cold Damage) [35]
Immunity 20 (Magical Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [10]
Protection 4 (Total 10) [4]
Senses 3 (Low-Light Vision, Vision Penetrates Concealment) [3]
Comprehend 3 (All Languages) [6]
"Telepathy" Communication 2 (Mental) [8]
"Huge Undead" Growth 6 (Str & Sta +6, +6 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, -6 Stealth) -- (18 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [13]
"Chill Aura" Environmental 2 (Unholy) (Extras: Continuous) [4]

"Spell-Like Abilities"
"Disease" Weaken Stamina 8 (Extras: Ranged, Insidious, Disease +2) (45) -- [48]
  • AE: "Dispel Magic" Nullify Magic 8 (Extras: Ranged) (16)
  • AE: "Confusion" Affliction 8 (Will; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Selective, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (24)
  • AE: Concealment 2 (Visuals) (4)
Summon Undead 4 (Extras: Variable +2- Undead Creatures, Multiple Minions +2, Active) [28]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Dispel Magic +10 (+8 Nullify, DC 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +10, Fortitude --, Will +8

Complications:
Hatred (Living Things)- Nightshades seek nothing more than the destruction of all life.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 159 / Defenses: 17 (233)

-Nightshades are extraordinarily-powerful Undead comprised of a combination of pure darkness and sheer malevolence. They are telepathic, exceptionally evil creatures that understand all languages. Considered by many to be the most dangerous form of Undead in creation, they are only stopped by the fact that they are quite rare, and generally lack the experience or Magical might of Liches and other immortal sorcerers.

Jab's Notes: A trio of Undead monsters, these guys are the top-tier in that category as far as the Monster Manual goes- CR 14-18!! They appear little different from Shadows and the other things, but the concept is more "Uber-Strong Destroyer". Despite their high level and the fact that they're clearly sentient, nothing about their motivations, true nature, or anything else is noted. They really just seem to be "Undead at a higher level", because PCs above Level 15 need something Undead to kill, too.

-Nightwalkers are clearly the baseline- just Evil Shadow People- while Nightwings & Nightcrawlers appear to be intelligent Magical Animals, and are much scarier. The disparate abilities, combined with the baseline weapons of the creatures themselves, are pretty scary.

Nightshade Varieties:
NIGHTWALKER- PL 10 (238): Improved Disarm, Improves Smash, Weapon Bind, Weapon Break, AE: "Evil Gaze" Affliction 5 (Dazed/Impaired, Perception-Ranged, Limited Degree) [5]
-Nightwalkers are 20-foot-tall humanoids comprised of pure darkness.

NIGHTWING- PL 10 (249): ST +1, Protection +2, Flight 6, AE: "Magic Drain" Affliction 12 (Magical Power; Impaired/Disabled/Transformed to Powerless) (Cumulative, Limited to Magic) [16]
-Nightwings are titanic bats with 50-foot wingspans.

NIGHTCRAWLER- PL 11 (244): ST -2, Protection -2, Fast Grab, Growth +6 (Str & Sta +12, +12 Mass, +6 Intimidation, -6 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -12 Stealth) -- (48 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0), AE: "Energy Drain" Affliction 10 (Fort; Impaired/Disabled/Transformed to Lower Level) (Extras: Cumulative), AE: "Venom" Weaken Strength 10 (Progressive), "Tremorsense" Senses (Ranged Touch 2) [11]
-Nightcrawlers are vast snake-like monsters of pure shadow and darkness, reaching up to 100 feet in length.
Skaramine

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Mohrg! Medusa! Naga! Yuan-Ti! Nightshades!)

Post by Skaramine »

One of the things I added to a series I wrote for, Outlanders from Gold Eagle, was the addition of the Najah, who seem to be custom tailored for the Yuan-Ti, especially with mutations like "snake tails instead of legs."

The Najah were an ancient, posthuman mutation by one of the Annunaki as an answer to the mindless drone Nephilhim (scaley mooks with repulsor ray gauntlets and light armor), and fit into the Naga's original Indian mythology as being either benevolent or balanced like the human race, with some hostile, others being normal folks.

To keep the Najah race healthy with new blood, they had "the Spawning Vat" which was akin to the Terragen Mists of the Inhumans, with a limit of snake-like mutations. Some only got a small spattering of scales in places, while some became up to full-on giant cobras. In general, most Najah who were Najah had cobra-like hoods between their heads and shoulders.

I also managed to keep Durga, the power-hungry mastermind of Serpent's Tooth alive for a three book sequel run where he escaped to post-apocalypse Africa. Actually, I think there was a fifth book before the Darkest Continent trilogy where Durga had been returned to full health. Oh, and then Infestation Cubed introduced their Japanese tribe, who'd gone into a Pelucidar beneath the Philipine Island Chain (further explored in Savage Dawn.)

I have the original manuscripts around for the ones I wrote.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
Jabroniville

Yrthak

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

YRTHAK
Role:
"WTF?" Monster
PL 8 (98)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 8 (+7, +10 Size)
Perception 9 (+10)
Stealth 5 (+7, +1 Size)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Move-By Action, Startle

Powers:
"Sense Sound Via Tongue Organ" Senses 2 (Accurate Hearing) [2]
Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [5]
Growth 6 (Str & Sta +6, +6 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, -6 Stealth) -- (18 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [13]

"Sonic Lance" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (24) -- [25]
  • AE: "Sonic Eruption" Blast 6 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (18)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Sonic Lance +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Sonic Eruption +6 Area (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude +10, Will +5

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Yrthak are semi-intelligent, but do not speak, nor can they use their claws to easily manipulate objects.
Disabled (Blind)- Yrthaks have no eyes.
Vulnerable (Sonic Damage)

Total: Abilities: 20 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 45 / Defenses: 18 (98)

-Reptilian monsters resembling Pterosaurs, the Yrthaks are bizarre creatures indeed. Semi-intelligent but mute, huge yet quick, and eyeless but able to find their way about in any locale, they are highly-twisted by the magical nature of the world. They sense their surroundings via a special organ on their long tongue that detects sound, and a horn on their head projects sheer Sonic Force. Omnivorous creatures, they heavily prefer meat, and hide away in distant mountain ranges, where adventurers will have great difficulty locating their lairs. Yrthaks are crafty and can be quite devious, engaging in hit and run tactics. Pairs mate for life, and will defend their nests savagely.

-Because of their magical Sonic abilities, Yrthaks are themselves highly-vulnerable to Sonic attack.

Jab's Notes: Many creatures in the Monster Manuals look more or less like someone just took a regular animal, and then threw random attributes onto it until they ended up with a new thing. The Yrthak, looking like an eyeless pterosaur with a unicorn's horn, is one such beast. A fairly high CR (9) means it's an upper-tier threat for parties of moderate level, and whole groups can be tricky for even very good parties. Truth be told, I kind of like the silly things- it's so odd and quirky, without being stupid-looking or ineffectual, AND they're utterly unique to D&D. And it's a new critter, too- a 2003 creation for 3rd Edition, despite its resemblance ot the "early days" of "take weird toy; give strange powers".
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Skaramine wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:51 am One of the things I added to a series I wrote for, Outlanders from Gold Eagle, was the addition of the Najah, who seem to be custom tailored for the Yuan-Ti, especially with mutations like "snake tails instead of legs."

The Najah were an ancient, posthuman mutation by one of the Annunaki as an answer to the mindless drone Nephilhim (scaley mooks with repulsor ray gauntlets and light armor), and fit into the Naga's original Indian mythology as being either benevolent or balanced like the human race, with some hostile, others being normal folks.

To keep the Najah race healthy with new blood, they had "the Spawning Vat" which was akin to the Terragen Mists of the Inhumans, with a limit of snake-like mutations. Some only got a small spattering of scales in places, while some became up to full-on giant cobras. In general, most Najah who were Najah had cobra-like hoods between their heads and shoulders.

I also managed to keep Durga, the power-hungry mastermind of Serpent's Tooth alive for a three book sequel run where he escaped to post-apocalypse Africa. Actually, I think there was a fifth book before the Darkest Continent trilogy where Durga had been returned to full health. Oh, and then Infestation Cubed introduced their Japanese tribe, who'd gone into a Pelucidar beneath the Philipine Island Chain (further explored in Savage Dawn.)

I have the original manuscripts around for the ones I wrote.
Hey, you wrote an actual novel? Neat! I even see your name on the list on their Wikipedia site :).
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

About forty or so. Ten in this series
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 6:25 am But I myself don't use that in Castellia- my Greenskins, for example, are evil not really because it's born into the races, but because they'd adopted barbarous cultures and worship Gods that demand evil acts and sacrifice. To me, that's probably EVEN SCARIER, because it gives more choice to their evil. And adds in some moral ambiguity to the heroes just mowing them down like disposable nothings.
I'd dig deeper on that... WHY had they "adopted barbarous cultures and worship Gods that demand evil acts and sacrifice". If you don't give a compelling reason for it, you leave it as an inherent trait. They're this way... just because.

Are they a group of people that have turned warlike because of perceived outside oppression and are now a force of terror to the countries around them, seizing land based on the promises of greatness from an unstable leader?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.