Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Sudowoodo! Sunflora! Donphan!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Arrowhawks! Hags! Harpies! Hydras!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Shock wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:34 pm I'm a big fan of Hydras. Hydrae? Anyway, I think they're one of cooler looking monsters out there. Why did you have the area attacks only when recovering from damage? Is that some kind of frenzy attack?
Nah, it's because they only gain the extra heads when they've been damaged already. Sorta like "they're harder to fight the more you cut them", like in the established stories.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:47 am
Shock wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:34 pm I'm a big fan of Hydras. Hydrae? Anyway, I think they're one of cooler looking monsters out there. Why did you have the area attacks only when recovering from damage? Is that some kind of frenzy attack?
Nah, it's because they only gain the extra heads when they've been damaged already. Sorta like "they're harder to fight the more you cut them", like in the established stories.
I like the Order of the Stick's supposition that too many heads would overwhelm a heart, so a hydra that's taken enough damage is a massive source of easy meat.
Jabroniville

Zombie

Post by Jabroniville »

ZOMBIE
Role:
Mooks, Soulless Monsters, Unending Hordes
PL 2 (8)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA -- AGILITY -2
FIGHTING 1 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -- AWARENESS -3 PRESENCE --

Skills:
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 2 (-1)

Advantages:
Benefit (Uses Strength instead of Presence for Intimidation Checks), Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Teamwork

Powers:
"Undead Monster" Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 3 [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +1 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative -2

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +1 (DC 11), Toughness +3, Fortitude --, Will --

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: -34 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 33 / Defenses: 2 (8)

-Zombies are considered the lowest of the Undead- the easiest to create by alchemy or Necromancy. Slow-moving, stupid and easily-led, they do nothing but attack whatever they're pointed at.

Jab's Notes: Zombies are the mookiest of Mooks in most Undead armies and films- they're strong enough to threaten your basic human victims or Naked Teenagers, but against actual competition (or even a dude with a gun) they tend to fall part... literally. They're stronger than most people, but are awful fighters. And, like most Undead, they're much more dangerous in groups. D&D pretty much makes them the bottom-tier of Undead.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

the funny thing is zombies aren't actually any stronger then the average person in some ways theyre weaker due to muscle atrophy.

the nasty thing is they have NO ie ZERO fatigue so theyre able to exert their strength constantly with no need for rest which means they can just tear you apart and keep on going. n

add in the fact that theres hundreds of them and well they become terrifying.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

They also feel no pain, have no shock response, don’t bleed (or don’t care about bleeding), and don’t require any functional internal organs. They require a lot of effort to incapacitate, you’ve basically got to do major structural damage to the skeleton if you want to get them to stop moving... and they’ll probably just continue to crawl.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Xill

Post by Jabroniville »

XILL
Role:
Otherdimensional Bug-Reptiles
PL 5 (73)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 7 (+7)
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Perception 5 (+5)

Advantages:
Benefit (Ambidexterity), Equipment 2 (Blades), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Blades), Improved Grab, Improved Hold

Powers:
Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]
"Four-Armed" Extra Limbs 2 [2]
"Paralytic Bite" Damage 1 Linked to Affliction 5 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Paralyzed) (Extras: Progressive +2) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5/day) (11) -- [13]
  • AE: "Attack With All Limbs" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Multiattack 5) (Flaws: +3-5 Requires Weapons) (4)
  • AE: "Planewalk" Movement 1 (Dimensional Travel 1- Plane of Earth) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Weapons +5 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Conquest)

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 16 / Defenses: 7 (71)

-Xill are four-armed demonic beings hailing from the Elemental Plane of Earth, where they are the most populous species. Sporting chitinous plates as well as scales, in addition to demon-like horns, the creatures are hard to place biologically. Most are less-tall than the average human, though they are quite dangerous, attacking with all four limbs. Xill society seems primarily focused on conquest and taking prisoners for slave labor, generally working in mines that produce precious stones. Xill are typically only encountered on Castellia as slaver parties; other encounters take place on the Plane of Earth, with greedy adventurers seeking to plunder the legendary jewel-filled cities of these evil creatures.

Jab's Notes: The "X" section is really just two Filler creature- these guys are possibly the most boring sentient race in the Monster Manual. They're teleporters from the Ethereal Plane, but I figured I needed something for the Plane of Earth (which is pretty empty, especially compared to the Fire, Air & Ethereal Planes), so I shifted them over. And yeah, they're QUITE powerful, apparently. CR 6 alone in the rulebook, though I downgraded them to "Elite Mooks" here.
Jabroniville

Xorn

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

Seriously- art makes a HUGE difference in making someone impressed with a creature.

XORN
Role:
Multi-Limbed Monstrosity
PL 8 (101)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Perception 5 (+5)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Startle

Powers:
"Metal-Detectors" Senses 5 (Detect Metal- Ranged 2, Acute & Analytical) [5]
"Tremorsense" Senses 2 (Ranged Touch 2) [2]
Burrowing 5 [5]

"Three-Armed" Extra Limbs 1 [1]
"Three Eyes" Senses 1 (Radius Sight) [1]
Immunity 15 (Fire Damage, Cold Effects) [15]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Will +5

Complications:
Addiction (Rare Metals & Minerals)

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 29 / Defenses: 10 (101)

-Xorn are large, bulbous, multilimbed monstrosities hailing from the Elemental Plane of Earth. They are intelligent scavengers with an eye, arm and leg on each of three sides. They consume earth and stone itself, but have a particular taste for rare or exceptional products of earth, such as gems, precious metals or alloys. This makes them a nuisance to many on the Material Plane, as Xorns can be very aggressive when they wish to consume something new or rare- they can be lethal when their ravenous hunger strikes.

Jab's Notes: A random piece of "Filler" from the back of the Monster Manual, it took some later art to make me realize that they could be rather cool- the 3e art STINKS. It looks like a gelatinous, lumpy frog monster instead of a weird Rocky Mouth-Demon. I left in the "Plane of Earth" origin since I figured I needed SOMETHING to occupy that realm.
Jabroniville

Manticore

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

MANTICORE (Manticora persepolis)
Role:
Flying Human-Headed Monster
PL 10 (145)- Minion Rank 10, Sidekick Rank 29
Normal Version:
PL 9
STRENGTH 9 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+12)
Intimidation 13 (+14 Size)
Perception 8 (+8)
Ranged Combat (Barbs) 8 (+8)
Stealth 9 (+3 Size)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Scorpion Tail) 2, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Power Attack

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]
Speed 3 (32 mph) [3]

"Natural Size" Growth 6 (Str & Sta +6, +6 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, -6 Stealth) -- (21 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [13]
Strength-Damage +1 [1]
"Natural Weapons- Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Split) [2]

"Bat Wings" Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [5]

"Scorpion Tail"
"Thrown Barbs" Blast 5 (Extras: Multiattack) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5/day) Linked to Weaken Stamina 4 (Extras: Multiattack, Ranged, Progressive +2) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5/day) (26) -- [27]
AE: Strength-Damage +1 Linked to Weaken Stamina 8 (Extras: Progressive +2) (25)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+10 Damage, DC 24)
Natural Weapons +8 (+11 Damage, DC 25)
Scorpion Tail +8 (+12 Damage & +8 Weaken, DC 27 & 18)
Barbs +8 (+5 Ranged Damage & +4 Ranged Weaken, DC 20 & 14)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +11, Fortitude +12, Will +8

Complications: 
Disabled (Animal)- Manticores cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 57 / Defenses: 19 (145)

Era: Fantasy Worlds
Range: Mountainous areas
[Colouring: Tawny yellow with dark manes and red tails
Size: Up to 24 feet long (3,000-5,000 lbs.)
Encounter Groups: Solitary or pairs
Diet: Various mammals, humans
Tactics: Silent stalking from the air, followed by power-dive. Chokes or stabs violently with tail.

-Manticores are vicious monsters of near-human intelligence, and infamous for their man-eating tendencies. With three rows of sharp teeth, they may swallow a human being whole, and can fire out devastating, venomous barbs from their scorpion-like tails. Manticores typically inhabit desolate desert regions, avoiding major humanoid civilizations, which allows them to operate in secrecy. However, many ally with evil beings, even taking them to war as flying mounts- these Manticores are better-fed and are often treated with much greater respect, while others look down on them as "tamed" and shameful.

Jab's Notes: The Mantcore is a creation of old Persian mythology, essentially a chimeric creature like most Greek monster myths (though it's possibly a fantastical explanation for the mysterious Tigers of Asia). It's got a human's head on a lion's body, with bat wings and a scorpion tail (though the wings are a recent addition, being stuck on by RPGs and other Tabletop Games, to the point where it's hard to imagine the creature without them). The size is pretty much variable enough that nearly anything you could come up with would be accurate, but I went with a "Huge" variant with Growth 6. It's a huge, venomous creature (+8 Progressive Venom is NASTY, especially considering how dangerous it's natural strength is) nearly as large as an Elephant, and much more dangerous. It's a full-on PL 10 team threat.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

MANticore? Why can't it be a WOMANticore!?

Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:44 am MANticore? Why can't it be a WOMANticore!?

... please don't.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Scots Dragon

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Genies! Achairai! Arrowhawks! Hags!)

Post by Scots Dragon »

Yes, please don't.
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:28 am Look how hated Thatcher is in England, too. Her funeral procession had people writing "ROT IN HELL, MAGGIE" on the walls the procession passed. Granted, her policies screwed over SCORES of people in the UK, but yikes- she'd been out of office for years.
Unless you lived it, or the aftermath of it, you really can't comprehend the scale of the damage she did and is by proxy of her policies still being in vogue amongst the Conservative Party still doing to the UK.

I live in one of the old factory towns of Northern England, which is still desolate as all get-out even thirty years later. She completely destroyed Britain's manufacturing industry and led to mass unemployment and economic desolation throughout most of Northern England. You know the Rust Belt? Like that, but actually if anything substantially worse.

She oversaw the privatisation and selling off to the lowest bidder of basically every public service and utility; the energy companies, the telecom companies, and basic utilities like water. In addition she deregulated the banks, leading to the boom-and-bust cycle that made all the wealthiest people in the country very wealthy, in fact much wealthier than they already were, but left all the poorest people in the country increasingly destitute. She also privatised home ownership, leading to many houses previously rented publicly going to the private sector, with no regulation as to whether these houses ought to be livable or not.

This is incidentally something still felt to this day, since I just had to move out of a pretty delapitated private-rented house.

Her social policies in addition led to a massive regression of social progress for queer rights, and the rights of women.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:44 am MANticore? Why can't it be a WOMANticore!?

They're evil. Obviously a male issue ;}
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl, I blame you :

Y'all are lucky this is my less-busy thread, so I don't care as much.

PS Obama is the greatest, smartest and handsomest president ever.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:49 pm PS Obama is the greatest, smartest and handsomest president ever.
You misspelt “James K. Polk.”
MacynSnow

Re: Manticore

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:49 am ImageImage
MANTICORE (Manticora persepolis) Role: Flying Human-Headed Monster
I honestly like the second pic better than the first,as it looks healthier and more natural.You'd think that a Manticore in a desert region would be considered an Apex Predator,save for a Dragon's area.....