Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Sudowoodo! Sunflora! Donphan!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
kenmadragon

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Nalfeshnee! Marilith! Pit Fiend!)

Post by kenmadragon »

Challenge Rating.
"A monster’s challenge rating tells you how great a threat the monster is. An appropriately equipped and well-rested party of four adventurers should be able to defeat a monster that has a challenge rating equal to its level without suffering any deaths. For example, a party of four 3rd-level characters should find a monster with a challenge rating of 3 to be a worthy challenge, but not a deadly one."
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ahhh. My preferred "D&D" these days is Autarch's "Adventurer, Conqueror, King". It's a one of the "clones" that came out as part of the OSG push afew years back.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Balor

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImageImage

BALOR
Role:
Balrog Knock-Off
PL 12 (228)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 8 (+11)
Expertise (Demon) 8 (+12)
Expertise (Magic) 8 (+12)
Insight 5 (+9)
Intimidation 8 (+14 Size)
Stealth 5 (+9, -5 Size)

Advantages:
Benefit (Ambidexterity), Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 10, Startle, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Demonic Physiology"
Immunity 3 (Aging, Disease, Poison) [3]
Immunity 10 (Fire Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [5]
"Telepathy" Communication (Mental) 1 [4]
Comprehend 3 (Understand, Speak & Read Languages) [6]
Senses 2 (Darkvision) [2]
Features 1: All Attacks Have "Evil" Descriptor [1]

Growth 4 (Str & Sta +4, +4 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth) -- (12 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
Senses 4 (Magical Awareness- Acute, Ranged 2) [4]
Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [6]
Regeneration 8 (Feats: Regrows Limbs) [9]
"Wreathe of Flames" Fire Aura 6 [24]

"Balor's Whip" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [18]
"Whip Entanglement" Snare 10 (Flaws: Limited to Single Target -2) Linked to Damage 10 (Extras: Sustained +2) (Flaws: Limited to So Long As Target Is Ensnared) (30 points)

"Vorpal Sword" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [9]
Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical 4) (Extras: Penetrating 8) (14 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Flame Aura +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Vorpal Sword +12 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Whip +12 (+10 Affliction & Damage, DC 20 & 25)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +12, Fortitude +14, Will +10

Complications:
Vulnerable (Holy Attacks)

Total: Abilities: 82 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 98 / Defenses: 18 (228)

-The mightiest of Demons any mortal is likely to encounter is the Balor- only the most elite have ever reached this level. Greatly resembling Pit Fields, but usually less scaly, Balors are the pinnacle of might- they wield dangerous Magical Swords & Whips, use fire, and almost always have a great number of Magical Spells behind them. Balors are generals, rulers and dukes of the Abyss- rarely subserviant to anyone. Only the mightiest of Dragons would even consider battling such a creature.

Jab's Notes: Balor are generally considered to be knock-offs of J.R.R. Tolkien's "Balrog" from that obscure fantasy series he's written. In D&D, they're the most powerful Demon or Devil given in the Monster Manual- though of course because it's D&D you'll find stuff in later books that's MUCH scarier, never mind the true Demon Lords. Like most of the Demons, this is merely a "baseline" creature- I'd expect any Balor encountered to have plenty of magical might.
catsi563

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Marilith! Pit Fiend! Balor!)

Post by catsi563 »

Ahh the Balor/Balrogg nightmare fuel for any PC group and the source of one of my enduring legends in the tale of Average Gul the fighter who killed one with an Arrow of Slaying anything by stabbing it in the eye during one of the most INSANE runs of natural 20s and nat 100s ive ever seen. :lol:
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

*reads through the thread....comes to that Succubus chart*

.......GET THEE BEHIND ME SATAN! NO NOT LITERALLY! STOP THAT!
Jabroniville

Paelyrion

Post by Jabroniville »

"If you want to cross the bridge, my sweet
You've got the pay the toll!
Take a gulp and take a breath
And GO AHEAD AND SIGN THE SCROLL!!
(Flotsam, Jetsam, now I've got her, boys!)
THE BOSS IS ON A ROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!
THIS. POOR! UN! FOR! TUNATE SOUUULLLLLLLLLL!!!!"

PAELYRION
Role:
Ursula Knock-Off
PL 12 (284)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 6 PRESENCE 6

Skills:
Deception 8 (+14)
Expertise (Demon) 10 (+15)
Expertise (Magic) 10 (+15)
Insight 5 (+11)
Intimidation 2 (+11 Size)
Stealth 5 (+9, -5 Size)

Advantages:
Artificer, Benefit (Ambidexterity), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 10, Ritualist, Startle, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Demonic Physiology"

Growth 6 (Str & Sta +6, +6 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, -6 Stealth) -- (18 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [13]

"Intoxicating Scent" Affliction 10 (Will; Dazed/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cloud +2, Reaction +3) (Flaws: Limited to Once Per Day Per Victim) [50]

"Belittle" Affliction 12 (Will; Impaired/Disabled/Paralyzed) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone, Cumulative) (36) -- [37]
  • AE: "Deforming Fingernails" Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: Reach 6) Linked to Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Transformed to Hideous) (Extras: Progressive +2) (36)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Intoxicating Scent +10 Area (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Belittle +12 Area (+12 Affliction, DC 22)
Fingernails +12 (+10 Damage & +10 Affliction, DC 25 & 20)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +12, Fortitude +13, Will +10

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 82 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 23 / Powers: 140 / Defenses: 19 (284)

-Paelyrions are largely-unknown to mortals, but hold status equivalent to the more-common Balors. Less physically-mighty, they instead focus on intelligence, craft and sorcery. Appearing to be entirely female, they are disgusting parodies of the feminine form, wearing strumpet-like make-up and skimpy costumes, despite their horrid obesity. Paelyrions have deadly fingernails that extend out for up to thirty feet, permanently-deforming their victims; in addition to an intoxicating scent that can overwhelm aggressors, and the power to mentally "Belittle" people into paralysis. In addition to this, all Paelyrions are spellcasters, usually specializing in Mental, Illusion or Teleportation Magic.

Jab's Notes: Paelyrions have fascinated me ever since I saw that "Little Mermaid"-inspired drawing by Wayne Reynolds in the Fiend Folio. A grotesque abomination, his art made it look so unsettingly-gross that I KNEW it would make a perfect "Campaign-Ending" monster. I even had an idea for a "First-Level" Paelyrion, resembling a more standard-issue beautiful woman, to be a party member, and raise questions as to the nature of good & evil, and whether or not all Demons were in fact "Genetically Evil" from birth.
Gamebook

Post by Gamebook »

Ken wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:41 am Ahhh. My preferred "D&D" these days is Autarch's "Adventurer, Conqueror, King". It's a one of the "clones" that came out as part of the OSG push afew years back.
I've rummaged through loads of OD&D systems but I still think much the best one is the Basic D&D system by the legendary Aaron Allston. Crazy awesome rules for spells, weapon mastery, mass combat, dominions, becoming a god.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

catsi563 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:17 pm Ahh the Balor/Balrogg nightmare fuel for any PC group and the source of one of my enduring legends in the tale of Average Gul the fighter who killed one with an Arrow of Slaying anything by stabbing it in the eye during one of the most INSANE runs of natural 20s and nat 100s ive ever seen. :lol:
(Easier than quoting a part of Jab's post on my phone)

If what Gygax wanted was to rip off the Balrog, it's a shame he used the name Balor. Balor is an extremely epic mythological badass, king of the Fomor, a giant with an eye in his forehead that has to be covered with seven veils so it doesn't burn down the world. The D&D Balor is pretty good, but...
Jabroniville

Klurichir

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

KLURICHIR
Role:
Power Geek Fantasy
PL 13 (222)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 14 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 8 (+11)
Expertise (Demon) 10 (+14)
Expertise (Magic) 8 (+12)
Insight 5 (+9)
Intimidation 8 (+16 Size)
Stealth 5 (+9, +0 Size)

Advantages:
Benefit (Ambidexterity), Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 10, Startle, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Demonic Physiology"

Growth 9 (Str & Sta +9, +9 Mass, +4 Intimidation, -4 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -9 Stealth) -- (30 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [19]
"Four Arms" Extra Limbs 2 [2]

"Vorpal Pincers" Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Improved Critical 4) (Extras: Penetrating 10) (Inaccurate) [17]

"Demonic Axe" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [9]
Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical 2) (Extras: Penetrating 10) (14 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Axe +13 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Vorpal Pincers +11 (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +14, Fortitude +16, Will +11

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 74 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 86 / Defenses: 22 (222)

-Extremely rare, the Klurichirs are the elite of the elite among Demons & Devils- the only things higher are the Greater Demons themselves. The creatures have piglike faces and enormous red, bat wings, but their most defining feature is the huge mouth located in their torso. Multiple row of sickly, yellowed teeth line this belly-mouth, along with two giant tusklike pincers shaped like spider's legs. Klurichirs are so ancient and powerful that most also posess tremendous amounts of magical power. The arrival of a single Klurichir on a planetary surface is considered a worldwide calamity in the making- only the strongest of Dragons are comparable threats.

Jab's Notes: The 3rd Edition "Fiend Folio" makes the bold claim, "If balors do have nightmares, they can probably be attributed to the klurichirs". A CR 25 beast of horrific proportions, it could solo almost every Dragon in the Monster Manuals. It looks pretty cool, too (though it gets a TINY picture).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Marilith! Pit Fiend! Balor! Klurichir!)

Post by Ken »

I have never heard of a Klurichir until today. But it looks pretty damned awesome.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Ken wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:16 pm I have never heard of a Klurichir until today. But it looks pretty damned awesome.
Me either. But to me it looks silly.
Davies

Post by Davies »

I have to agree with Shock, the two mouth thing is more bewildering than intimidating.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

The thing that's terrifying about them isn't the look(in a fantasy world where a guy dressed in street clothes can make your head explode by thinking it,believe you-me,looks don't matter a hill of beans.),it's the wholesale destruction they can cause without really trying that's the terrifying part........
scc

Post by scc »

I never knew about these things either. Pretty cool. I like the idea but not sure how I feel about the design.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, I thought the idea was solid. The design is odd, but I think it's suitable for a demonic being.

The final demon-themed build will be one of their most distinctive Arch-Demons.