Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Sudowoodo! Sunflora! Donphan!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
KorokoMystia

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Kaiser Elric! Dark Elf Sorceress! Clefairy!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Monster Hunter stuff comes to mind, but I'd need to think of some specific monsters I'd like to see.
Jabroniville

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Kaiser Elric! Dark Elf Sorceress! Clefairy!)

Post by Jabroniville »

L-Space wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:50 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:07 am Once I finish, I'll probably take a more relaxed method of posting up some Pokemon and random D&D monsters. Scc gave me some links for some stuff that I might get to. Any other Fantasy Monsters & Pokemon anyone wants to see pushed up to the front of the to-do list?
I wouldn't mind seeing your settings vampires or liches. Does your setting have any demonic or angelic creatures in it?
Oh yeah, that reminds me- I sort of wanted to do a set on D&D Demons & Devils. I'd been thinking about that for years, but kept getting side-tracked. I guess that can be the next project.
Jabroniville

Obsidiaris

Post by Jabroniville »

OBSIDIARIS (Male Troll Necromancer)
Role:
Elite Mage
PL 11 (272)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Athletics 1 (+6)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+7)
Deception 7 (+6)
Expertise (Survival) 2 (+6)
Expertise (Magic) 9 (+14)
Insight 4 (+8)
Intimidation 13 (+12)
Investigation 4 (+8)
Perception 4 (+8)
Ranged Combat (Magic) 5 (+12)
Stealth 2 (+4)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Artificer, Assessment, Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Equipment 1 (Obsidian Staff), Improved Critical (Magic Blast) 2, Improved Initiative, Languages (Various), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7, Ritualist, Seize Initiative, Trance, Well-Informed

Powers:
Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (8 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]
"Troll Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Extended Scent 2, Acute Scent, Tracking- Scent) [5]

"Trollish Reach" Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: Reach) [1]
"Trollish Speed" Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]
"Trollish Digestion" Features 1: Can Eat Anything [1]

"Trollish Regeneration"
Immunity 3 (Aging, Disease, Poison) [3]
Regeneration 7 (Feats: Regrowth, Diehard) [9]

"Black Magic- The Art of Necromancy"
"Sense Magic" Senses 4 (Detect Magic- Acute, Analytical & Ranged) [4]
"Create Undead" Summon 4 (Feats: Mental Link) (Extras: Active, Controlled, Continuous, Horde, 16 Multiple Minions +8, Variable Type- Undead +2) (Flaws: Requires Remains) [60]
"Speak With Undead" Communication (Mental) 3 (Flaws: Limited to Undead) [9]
"Speak With The Dead" Comprehend (Spirits) 2 [4]

"Poison Shower" Blast 8 Linked to Weaken Stamina 6 (Extras: Progressive +2) (34) -- [43]
  • AE: "Lifetaker" Blast 8 Linked to Healing 8 (Flaws: Self Only, Healing Depends on Damage Effect) (20)
  • AE: "Soul Reaper" Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Will Save) (33)
  • AE: "DeSoul" Blast 10 (Extras: Will Save) (30)
  • AE: "Death Bolt" Blast 10 (20)
  • AE: "Black Wave" Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (22)
  • AE: "Command Undead" Mind Control 8 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Touch Range -2, Limited to Undead) (24)
  • AE: "Command Undead" Mind Control 10 (Flaws: Limited to Undead) (30)
  • AE: "Icy Black Hand of Death" Snare 9 (27)
  • AE: "See Through Dead Eyes" Remote Sensing 10 (Visuals & Hearing) (Flaws: Physical Body is Defenselss, Requires Undead) (10)
Equipment:
"Big Honkin' Club" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Restricted- Size) (2)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Poison Shower +12 (+8 Ranged Damage & +6 Weaken, DC 23 & 16)
DeSoul +12 (+10 Ranged Will Damage, DC 25)
Soul Reaper +11 Area (+11 Will Damage, DC 26)
Black Beam +12 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Black Wave +11 Area (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Black Hand of Death +12 (+9 Ranged Affliction, DC 19)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +6, Fortitude +10, Will +10

Complications:
Power Loss (Regeneration)- Attacks based upon Magic or Fire will nullify the Troll's famous regenerative capabilities.
Weakness (Magic Casting)

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 52--26 / Advantages: 23 / Powers: 149 / Defenses: 24 (272)

-Obsidiaris was supposed to be the life's work of Mothrow, a Black Mage living in the forests of Marsellia. Exiled for his practise of the dark art of Necromany, Mothrow believed that it was not necessarily an evil art, and that it could be used for good- slave & serf-based labour (awful but recurring practises) was easily replaced with labour from Undead Zombies and Skeletons that could never complain. Wars could be fought using non-living beings instead of fragile living creatures. In addition, Necromancy was the leading School of Magic that dealt with sickness and poisons- and it could be turned towards CURING those as well. True, most Necromancers were evil, but to Mothrow, this was a cause of society's rejection of the arts of those naturally-talented individuals. It was with this motivation that Mothrow decided to train young Necromancers in his art- to attempt and reverse the trend.

-Enter Obsidiaris. A weak, sickly Troll by that race's standards, he was attacked and nearly killed by his own siblings for his weakness- he was a mere seven feet tall, and was gawky and thin. He was forced to survive in the wild for two years, nearly dying until he realized his own natural power at Black Magic. He was able to throw Death Bolts without training, and was able to raise the same creatures he killed. Mothrow was able to detect his power, and took the lad in. This would be his greatest challenge, and proof of concept- not only would he be a good-aligned Necromancer, but a good TROLL as well. Alas, it was not to be. Obsidiaris started out decent, but his dark nature took hold- he experimented with Undeath frequently, and grew obsessed with his added power. To rein him in, Mothrow placed him with The Light Brigade, a young party of heroes- they would prove to be a moral center. Yet within a few adventures, Obsidiaris' power and obsession grew, and several near-death experiences with this untrained party left him frightened, and with fear comes anger.

-The Troll betrayed his fellows to an enemy, and went off on his own, slowly building an Undead army as he went. Several times he conflicted with the Light Brigade, yet he escaped every time. Mothrow was ashamed, and made it his new life's work to hunt down the evil that he had created, going off on his own, leaving his other trainees to carry on his works. And so Obsidiaris is himself hunted while his power grows- a dark, evil being obsessed with the creation of Undeath, and a scouring of those who could threaten him. The creature with no power now carries all of it.

-Obsidiaris' Army: Despite his physical frailties, Obsidiaris is physically stronger than any man, and possesses great magical power. His Undead creations (formed via rituals or his own natural Summoning power) have grown into the hundreds- many plain Zombies and Skeletons, but other creatures of almost any possible race. He killed and raised many unique creatures, and often attempts to forge new Undead. If there exists a creature on Castellia, Obsidiaris has raised an Undead variant of it- he even has a few Dragons. He cannot fathom the intricacies of training others, and swiftly grows tired of individuals not as intrinsically-gifted as himself, but he still has many Necromancer Minions working for him. Any Questing Party (low or high in power) will meet dozens and dozens of Undead warriors and Black Mages before they ever meet the Dark Troll himself.

Jab's Notes: Obsidiaris is one of the very first concepts I thought of with my "world"- I love alternate races beyond the "normal" ones, Monsters as Player Characters, Betrayal Tropes, and characters that defy their racial stereotypes. And so came a Troll Hero that was a MAGE of all things (not the ideal for something like that), who would eventually become a Chaotic Evil Necromancer that created a massive army that threatened all life after betraying the heroes (I imagine that his Player was one of those "Team-Killing" bastards who was kicked out of the game, and then turned into a Big Bad). He's a coward at heart, which is the core of his character- he fears the power of others, and THAT is why he must gain power- few villains are into power for it's own sake. They need a REASON to grab power. The "Good Mentor" thing is something I recently came up with, as I figured SOMEONE had to train him, and it seemed cool to have an NPC helper go against his old pupil, all Obi-Wan (vs) Vader-like.

He's also FREAKISHLY expensive, thanks to that Continuous Summon power (which really doesn't cover his whole army- I figure a lot of his creations are mere Minions, Mooks & Ritual-created monsters), but since he's an NPC Big Bad Villain, it's OK. He has a swack of evil Black Magic powers, many of which contain Blasts, Fortitude & Will Effects, Soul-Stealing power and Undead-based Senses & Communicating. He's a good example of my "Limits" on Mages only being limits to those lacking imagination- you can concieve of MANY dark powers based around "Death". And in ADDITION to all this crazy stuff, he's also a Troll- a WEAK Troll, but a Regenerating fast giant thing nonetheless.
Ken

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Dark Elf Sorceress! Clefairy! Obsidiaris!)

Post by Ken »

Obsidiaris is awesome. I think I may talk to Jim about us "borrowing" this guy to be a villain in the RCU for BADASS.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:51 am Obsidiaris is awesome. I think I may talk to Jim about us "borrowing" this guy to be a villain in the RCU for BADASS.
Thanks :)! Woodclaw enjoyed him last time I posted him, too:
Woodclaw wrote:Hi Jab, first of all, let me tell you that Obsidiaris is one of the most interesting builds I've seen in a while. He's expensive as hell, but makes an impressive character. Top marks for him.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:02 am
Ken wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:51 am Obsidiaris is awesome. I think I may talk to Jim about us "borrowing" this guy to be a villain in the RCU for BADASS.
Woodclaw wrote:Hi Jab, first of all, let me tell you that Obsidiaris is one of the most interesting builds I've seen in a while. He's expensive as hell, but makes an impressive character. Top marks for him.
And I still think it is really good. I love when someone tries to break the mold of "monster races", although not too much.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Rapidash

Post by Jabroniville »

RAPIDASH (Equus somnambuli, aka "Daymare")
Role:
Awesome Mounted Beast FROM HELL But Nicer
PL 8 (112)- Minion Rank 8, Sidekick Rank 29
Normal Version:
PL 5-6
STRENGTH 7 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletis 2 (+9)
Expertise (Survival) 2 (+5)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 10 (+9 Size)
Perception 5 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+1 Size)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Attractive (To Women), Diehard, Great Endurance, Improved Initiative, Last Stand (Ignore All Damage For 1 Round with HP Spent), Power Attack

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision, Radius Sight) [3]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]

"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]
"Large Hooves" Reach 1 [1]

"Hell-Borne Creature"
Immunity 6 (Heat, Fire Damage) [6]
"Flaming Flight" Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]
Fire Blast 6 (Feats: Accurate 3) (15) -- [16]
AE: Fire Aura 3 (Feats: Selective) (13)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Fire Blast +6 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Fire Aura +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude +10, Will +6

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Nightmares cannot speak to humans, nor use their hooves to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 46 / Defenses: 11 (112)

Era: Fantasy Realms
Range: Mountains, Plains
Stereotypes: Evil.
Colouring: White or grey most common, rarely brown, black
Size: Up to 8 feet long (800-1500 lbs.)
Encounter Groups: Wild herds of 3-25 creatures, or mounted by sentients.
Diet: Grass & vegetation
Tactics: Flee using speed or attack all-out with powerful hooves & wings.

-The animal known as "Rapidash" over much of Castellia is not a native creature at all, but animals from the Hellish dimensions, converted into a gentler form over time spent away from their homeland. Their original forms are the infamous Nightmares, mounts to Demons and Blackguards from the pits- time has changed their fur to bright white, giving them a much less evil appearance. The creatures remain passionate and dangerous, however, and rarely allow anyone to ride them.

Jab's Notes: Ponyta & Rapidash are classic "later" Pokemon from the first game- simple design and concept (Horse + Fire!), basic powers, little in the way of anything unique... but still kind of nice, in a simple sort of way. And really, the giant "Flaming Mane" thing just looks AWESOME. As D&D already has fire-horses as part of the mythos in the Nightmares, I decided to make a non-evil version of that.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Woodclaw wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:16 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:02 am
And I still think it is really good. I love when someone tries to break the mold of "monster races", although not too much.
Thanks! One of my favorite things to look through in D&D books is the use of Monster Races as something else. That's part of why I liked the idea of using Centaurs as Knights (instead of Elf-knockoffs who ran around the forests), and Arghast, my Bugbear Pirate. I should really look into more stuff like that...

And with Obsidiaris posted, that's all of my content from the Atomic Think Tank posted over here! All that's left now is original builds. I think I'll do Demons & Devils and stuff first... but not before I finally use Thorp's idea and build the ultimate animal trainer- to catch them all is his real test; to train them is his cause.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Found this, it might make for a good list of builds?

We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

If I recall, Jab had builds for the Jersey Devil, Bunyip, and Chupacabra (and the Mothman) in 2e, but hasn't transfered them to 3e from what I know.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, not into doing Undead builds- they're about as much fun to do as Kill-O-Bots.

I actually have a List Of Cryptids half-finished for the Jabverse, but I haven't gotten around to posting it (or finishing it).

Some of them I might think about.
Jabroniville

Ash

Post by Jabroniville »

ASH (Human Ranger)
Role:
Vicious Animal Trainer
Family Crests: Pikachu
PL 10 (123)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 10 (+12)
Deception 6 (+10)
Expertise (Animal Behavior) 11 (+14)
Insight 2 (+5)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 5 (+8)
Persuasion 2 (+6)
Stealth 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Benefit 1 (Reputation- Master BattleMon Trainer), Defensive Roll, Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Entrapment Spheres" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [43]
Affliction 12 (Toughness; Dazed/Stunned/Paralyzed) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative, Continuous +3) (Diminished Range -1) (35 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Entrapment Spheres +8 (+12 Ranged Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +4, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (To Be The Very Best, Like No One Ever Was)
Real Test (To Catch Them All)
Cause (To Train Them)

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 43 / Defenses: 9 (123)

-Castellia is a land of many pockets- some of great civilization, and some of abject cruelty. But even the most civilized lands possess dark facets- among these is the evil sport of Monster Battling- ritualized combat of enslaved creatures. Called "BattleMon" as a shorthand, it consists of wandering travellers who stalk the wilderness for wild animals of great power, assault them and tire them out, then entrap them using specialized Magical Entrapment Spheres. These Spheres paralyze and entrap the creatures within miniaturized pocket dimensions, and allow the Battler to release them at will.

-Typically, captured creatures will attempt to fight back, and so the trainer engages in a savage routine of disciplinary action, often with other animals who've already been similarly "pacified". Eventually, after many weeks (sometimes months!) of brutal discipline, the creatures are adequately broken, and join their Battlers' hoard of creatures. The purpose? To create the best fighters possible. Several standard creatures are highly-sought-after- Rhinos, Elephants, and Dinosaurs of exceptional size and savagery. However, the cream of the crop are usually Magical Animals- special status is given to trainers who take small creatures with magical power, and training them into tremendous powerhouses.

-One such MonBattler is the young man known only as Ash. He gives off a friendly demeanor, but is really a cruel, dangerous survivalist, having left home as a young boy, training a humble Pikachu into a dangerous, high-powered battler. Living solo in a world such as Castellia is suicidal at best, even for an adult, so this is extremely impressive. Ash and his Pikachu have slain hundreds of rival BattleMonsters, and he has amassed a huge number of captive beasts. Many of these actively fight for him, but he has a reputation for cruelly abandoning the creatures, leaving them trapped in prisons (or their Entrapment Spheres) as soon as he gets bored with them, at which point he travels to a new land, hoping to capture and train more creatures.

PIKACHU
Role:
Electric Animal, Cutest Thing Ever
PL 10 (121)
STRENGTH
-3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 11 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+6)
Intimidation 6 (+2 Size)
Perception 5 (+5)
Stealth 0 (+7 Size)
Ranged Combat (Electricity) 5 (+10)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Evasion, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Thunderbolt) 3, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative 2, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) [3]

"Electric Type Magical Creature"
Immunity 10 (Electrical Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [5]

"Thundershock" Blast 10 Linked to Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged) (Flaws: Unreliable -2- 25% Chance) (25) -- [28]
  • AE: "Thunder Storm" Damage 6 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (12)
  • AE: "Thunder Wave" Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Paralyzed) (Extras: Ranged) (20)
  • AE: "Iron Tail" Damage 3 (3)
"Natural Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
(-1 Strength, +2 Dodge/Parry, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (-3 Damage, DC 12)
Iron Tail +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Thundershock +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Thunder Wave +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +11

Defenses:
Dodge +15 (DC 25), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +4 (+5 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Pikachu cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Weakness (Ground Damage)- Pikachu's creature type leaves it vulnerable to certain types of attack.

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 45 / Defenses: 23 (121)
L-Space

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Clefairy! Obsidiaris! Ash Ketchum!)

Post by L-Space »

Obsidiaris is really cool (Magic the Gathering has such great art anymore) and a really nice background. I've always been a fan of the idea for Necromancer's using their magic for good, but haven't been able to ever play one.

Poor Ash, he just wants to be the very best and you paint him is as some sort of psychopathic Michael Vick... :lol:
Formerly luketheduke86
Ken

Post by Ken »

Remember, at the end of the day, Pokemon is just virtual cockfighting. I never figured that Ash could be that noble in the first place.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

L-Space wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:20 pm Obsidiaris is really cool (Magic the Gathering has such great art anymore) and a really nice background. I've always been a fan of the idea for Necromancer's using their magic for good, but haven't been able to ever play one.

Poor Ash, he just wants to be the very best and you paint him is as some sort of psychopathic Michael Vick... :lol:
I had to find SOME way to justify why a young child could survive in a world as ludicrously-dangerous as Castellia :). The answer: He's evil!