Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Sudowoodo! Sunflora! Donphan!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Arbok! Venonat! Pinsir! Butterfree!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Haha, thanks :). He was one of those ones that was gonna be tricky, along with Voltorb and Magneton. I mean, “Golem” seems obvious, but you still have to figure out how they’re supposed to work.
Jabroniville

Jynx

Post by Jabroniville »

JYNX
Role:
Psychic Monster, Fearsome Fey
PL 8 (96)
Normal Version:
PL 2-3
STRENGTH 0 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+4)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+6)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 10 (+8)
Perception 8 (+10)
Stealth 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Fearless, Improved Initiative 2, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Fey Senses" Senses 3 (Detect Magic- Ranged, Low-Light Vision) [3]

"Psychic-Type Magical Creature" Immunity 10 (Psychic Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [5]
Immunity 1 (Cold) [1]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Arctic) [2]

"Lovely Kiss" Affliction 8 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep) (Extras: Cumulative) (16) -- [17]
  • AE: "Ice Punch" Blast 8 (16)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Ice Punch +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Lovely Kiss +8 (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +12

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Vulnerable (Bug, Ghost & Dark Attacks)- Jynx's creature type leaves it vulnerable to the attacks of insect-like creatures, Ghosts & Darkness.
Reputation (Evil)- Jynx are greatly feared throughout the Arctic as particularly-lethal Fey.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 28 / Defenses: 9 (96)

-Horrifying creatures of nightmares, the deadly Jynx are known to inhabit arctic reaches in places where even Frost Giants fear to tread, in case they encounter them. Though the creatures have powerful Ice Magic within them, they are also partially Psionic in nature. They are unpredictable and fearsome, like many Fey, and will either be delighted with the company of non-Fey, or will lash out at them with psionic or ice-based might. Their "Lovely Kiss" specialty can put victims to sleep- at which point they are often drowned in the icy waters. They are little understood, as few who encounter them wish to speak of it, and most of the others are killed. Many Frost Giant tribes will pay even non-Giants to ferret out enclaves of Jynx and kill them.

Jab's Notes: No Pokemon has ever been as controversial as Jynx- not only is it a grotesque parody of a human female, but it's more or less a racial caricature, like "HAW HAW, AREN'T BLACK PEOPLE FUNNY LOOKING!" in intent. It was initially even colored black, until some public complaining (I mean, this is a game & anime targetted at LEGIONS of children) got her changed to purple. Carole Boston Weatherford attacked both Jynx and "Dragon Ball Z" charater Mr. Popo for featuring the same racist imagery.

-There is some belief that Jynx may have been inspired by the Japanese "Ganjuro" fashion subculture instead of black people- the bleached hair, giant lips, strong make-up, and tanned skin of that movement are seemingly reflected in the Pokemon. She may also be based off of "fat lady" opera singers. Still, though- Jynx looks horrifying. The Pokemon has appeared only rarely, though occasionally in some higher-end roles, such as "Three Jynx and a Baby", in which three Jynx protected their sister- a Smoochum- before it evolved into a Jynx like them. This long-ago episode was its last appearance in the anime, possibly due to the controversy.

-Even without understanding the racial aspects of the Pokemon, I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATED Jynx as a teen. I felt it was the dumbest-looking, goofiest, ugliest Pokemon around, with exaggerated lips (the "Duck Lips" thing is one of my biggest turn-offs) and more. It was like this horrifying parody of womanhood. That it was treated like it was deliberately trying to be seductive only made it worse (the Pokedex indicates it "seductively wiggling its hips" as it walks).

-Jynx, like Mr. Mime, was a Pokemon with a pretty high number on the index, and was singular and a Psychic-Type. However, it was part-Ice-Type, and gained a Baby Pokemon version later, in Smoochum. Despite being a partial Psychic-Type, it only has one Psychic move- Heart Stamp. Its signature move, Lovely Kiss, is known only to Jynx.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spectrum

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Venonat! Pinsir! Butterfree! Jynx!)

Post by Spectrum »

I've never made the connection before, but that Jynx picture definitely reminds me of:

We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Venonat! Pinsir! Butterfree! Jynx!)

Post by Jabroniville »

haha, that's probably where that artist got it from, in fact :)!

It was oddly difficult to find a good picture for "Realistic Jynx" on DeviantArt. I was expecting to find TONS of Nightmare Fuel, but no.
Jabroniville

Mr. Mime

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

MR. MIME
Role:
Psychic Monster, Hybrid Beast
PL 8 (105)
STRENGTH
-2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+2)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 12 (+8 Size)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+6 Size)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Fearless, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) [3]

"Natural Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
(-1 Strength, +2 Dodge/Parry, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation)

"Psychic-Type Magical Creature" Immunity 10 (Psychic Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [5]
Mind Reading 5 [10]

"Psychic" Mental Blast 8 (32) -- [37]
  • AE: "Psy-Beam" Blast 8 Linked to Affliction 8 (Will; Dazed/Compelled/Transformed to Confused) (Extras: Ranged) (Flaws: Unreliable) (24)
  • AE: "Confuse Ray" Affliction 8 (Will; Dazed/Compelled/Transformed to Confused) (Extras: Perception Range +2) (24)
  • AE: "Psychokinesis" Move Object 7 (Extras: Perception Range) (21)
  • AE: "Disable" Affliction 8 (Will; Impaired Move/Disabled Move/Transformed to Powerless) (Extras: Perception Range +2) (Flaws: Limited to one Random Move) (16)
  • AE: "Invisible Wall" Create 6 (Feats: Subtle 2) (14)
Offense:
Unarmed +2 (-2 Damage, DC 13)
Psychic -- (+8 Perception-Ranged Will Damage, DC 23)
Psy-Beam +8 (+8 Ranged Damage & Affliction, DC 23 & 18)
Confuse Ray, Disable & Hold Monster -- (+8 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Mr. Mime cannot speak to humans.
Vulnerable (Bug, Ghost & Dark Attacks)- Mr. Mime's creature type leaves it vulnerable to the attacks of insect-like creatures, Ghosts & Darkness.

Total: Abilities: 2 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 63 / Defenses: 14 (105)

-It is said that the pairings of humans with fae are doomed to failure; the chaotic, unpredictable fae often have very disturbing or flighty natures, making them poor parents, and humans rarely outlive their partners. However, there is a much more terrifying result as well- the creation of a "Mr. Mime". These psychotic hybrids are possessed with great Violet Magic- Psionic power- and a malevolent nature that makes them insane murderers. The appearance of a Mr. Mime is entirely random, and multiple kinds of fae are known to make them. They resemble a sick parody of a human clown, with pallid skin, horrid teeth, and greenish hair sprouting in tufts. These creatures are usually attacked as soon as they are seen, but being born with instantaneous might, they are often quite skilled at escape, running into the wilds, where they become nuisances for years if not stopped.

-Mr. Mimes do not always attack on first sight; they are known to adore mimicking the behavior of others. They will confront travellers in small groups, aping the movements of one of the party. They are perfectly happy to do this for hours, but will almost always fight to the death if interrupted. They cannot speak, instead making a sickening gasping noise.

Jab's Notes: Jynx and Mr. Mime were my two least-favorite Pokemon in the original game- I HATE Humanoid-looking Pokemon, and the fact that both also looked stupid didn't make things better. Thankfully, only see one if you trade an Abra to a trainer on Route 2, making them easy to ignore. Mr. Mime is seen very often in the anime... but you only really see one in Ash's mother's home, as a menial worker. What this means as per slavery isn't explained, but this is a world based entirely around cockfighting as its sole source for the economy, so we're probably better off not knowing.

-Mr. Mime, like Jynx, eventually received a "Baby Version" with Mime Jr., but MUCH later- in the fourth generation of Pokemon games. It was one of the last of the "Original 151" to get another evolutionary stage. Both Mr. Mime & Mime Jr. resemble puppets.
Jabroniville

Jigglypuff

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

JIGGLYPUFF
Role:
Psychic Monster, Nightmare Beast
PL 8 (95)
STRENGTH
-2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+2)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 6 (+2 Size)
Perception 8 (+10)
Stealth 2 (+6 Size)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Eidetic Memory, Fearless, Improved Initiative 2, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:

Quickness 4 (Flaws: Limited to Mental Tasks) [2]
"Psionic Shield" Force Field 3 [3]
"Bite" Damage 2 [2]
"Sleeping Song" Affliction 8 (Will; Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep) (Extras: Area- Hearing Perception, Cumulative) [24]

Offense:
Sleeping Song +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +2 (+5 Force Field), Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Jigglypuff cannot speak to humans.
Vulnerable (Bug, Ghost & Dark Attacks)- Jigglypuff's creature type leaves it vulnerable to the attacks of insect-like creatures, Ghosts & Darkness.

Total: Abilities: 2 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 48 / Defenses: 17 (95)

-Looking ridiculously cute and innocuous, the round & pink Jigglypuffs are the opposite of fearsome-looking. However, this is a dreadful act of espionage. For the creatures are prone to singing their victims to sleep with a soothing lullaby, then consuming their slumbering bodies. Secretive and gregarious, they are easily-adopted by sentient beings, who try to keep them as pets before they are devoured. Jigglypuffs are rare enough that few are aware of this deception, or recognize the frightening nature of these creatures. They breed only rarely, and are rather good at blending into the forests, despite being pink and spherical. Wood Elves are known to attack them on sight, and so they avoid such regions. Wizards are known to hunt them for their blood, which makes for an excellent Sleeping Toxin.

Jab's Notes: I pretty much had the "secretly evil" thing set in stone with Jigglypuffs as soon as I did this set, but I never really got around to it until now. It just fits TOO WELL not to use! Jigglypuff shares a role with Pikachu in that both are ridiculously-cute critters who vastly overshadow their later evolutions- Pikachu is exponentially more famous than Raichu, and Jigglypuff is far, far more notable than the poorly-designed Wigglytuff, which just looks like a fat, pink rabbit. Jigglypuff is a big running gag in the anime, singing to people as a wannabe Pop Idol... but then finding its entire audience slumbering, due to its powers! Pissed off, the annoyed Jigglypuff then sketches funny faces on its audience with a felt-tip marker! It lasted a LONG time in the anime before being dropped, but ultimately made a nostalgic comeback, typically as a gag who has little effect on any given story.
Jabroniville

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Pinsir! Butterfree! Jynx! Mr. Mime!)

Post by Jabroniville »

OMG, and that's the ball-game for my Original 151 Pokemon builds!!! Everything else is just a baby version of one of these!!

I can resist doing a big "All Done!" post again, since I did one only a handful of months ago when I finished posting the entire D&D Monster Manual on this thread, and got a lot of congratulatory messages :). It'd just be self-indulgent to post something like that again.

The future of this thread is somewhat steady, however, as there's a handful of other Pokemon I'd like to post. I really don't care for statting "Legendaries" (they're wayyyyyyyyyy too generic after a point; nothing that much different from Mew), but a handful of the Dragon-looking ones are worthwhile. I'll probably update this thread every couple weeks or so.

I also realize now that many of my early Pokemon builds are INSANELY under-written. Kadabra, Pikachu, Bulbasaur, etc., all have these PUNY bios, while I add in huge things for Pokemon I don't even care about, like Lickitung and Mr. Mime. I think at some point I'll go back into the biggest names and re-rant about them. Given I spammed a lot of the early part of this thread out, I don't feel like that's a "cheat".

After that? I dunno. I guess I could just let it lie. God knows doing this thread in ADDITION to my other one has been a hell of a lot of work. Talk about a time-sink! I mean, I have no regrets about it, as the research is fun as hell, but WOW.
Jabroniville

Trapinch-Flygon

Post by Jabroniville »

FLYGON
Role:
Draconic Insect
PL 11 (98)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+11)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+7)
Intimidation 8 (+6)
Perception 5 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Powers) 12 (+12)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Initiative 2, Startle

Powers:
"Insect Senses" Senses 2 (Acute & Extended Scent) [2]
Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [6]
"Draconic" Features 1: Considered Dragons for the Purposes of Special Items & Powers [1]
"Detect Dragons" Senses 3 (Detect Dragons- Acute & Ranged) [3]
Immunity 3 (Aging, Disease, Poison) [3]

"Dragon-Like Tail"
Extra Limb 1 [1]
Enhanced Advantages: Improved Trip [1]

Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -3 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]

"Dragon's Fire" Blast 10 (Feats: Improved Critical 2) (22) -- [25]
  • AE: "Dragon Breath" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (20)
  • AE: "Fire Burst" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (20)
  • AE: "Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Split, Improved Critical) (3)
Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Claws & Teeth +11 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Dragon Breath +12 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Area Attacks +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +12

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Will +8

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Flygons cannot speak to sentients, nor use their limbs to easily manipulate objects.
Vulnerable (Dragon-Affecting Items)- Things that do extra damage to Dragons (including Ranger's "Favored Foe") will also work on Flygons.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 49 / Defenses: 18 (98)

-Animologists, Druids and Rangers alike have been confused and misinformed about the nature of the "Flygon Evolutionary Chain" for centuries- even now, very few know the whole story about these enigmatic creatures. Most appear to be insectoid in some way or another, though they start life as almost cuddly vice-jawed critters, metamorphize into what resembles a large dragonfly, and finally end up as a borderline-draconic creature. The fact that all three of its forms tend to live in completely different areas makes the truth even more difficult to ascertain, as does the bizarre way in which they change form.

-These creatures start life as desert-dwelling, terrestrial insects called "Trapinch", who behave much like Antlions or the much larger Ankhegs- they lay traps in the sand, creating large pits that creatures may fall into- the Trapinch's head waiting at the bottom, occasionally throwing rocks or additional sand to further break up the pit's siding. Helpless creatures are torn apart by the dog-sized animals, which are typically bright red or blue. Their vicelike jaws have "teeth" built right into them. Unusally, Trapinch have no anus- they simply gain all the nutrients they can over however long it takes to gain enough material, at which point they enter a dormant state. Trapinch weave cocoons in the jungles of distant regions- the long treks causing the death of many. Finally, in these muggy spaces, they spring forth as winged creatures.

-The second form, called Vibrava, resemble four-legged Dragonflies of man-like size. Often jokingly called "Bug Drakes", the creatures are more charismatic than typical insects, can be trained to accept riders, and are very dangerous adversaries- unusually for insects, they gain breath weapons and a "hypersonic pulse" derived from their short wings, which have yet to fully develop. They are now fast-moving, agile creatures, lacking a strong bite but being much more dangerous at range. They are popular with Wood Elves, Dryads and other forest creatures, though typically do best in wetter climates. Vibrava may only attain their final form by virtue of proximity to Dragons- if the Dragon's Breath Weapon is fire, a Vibrava will deliberately fly into the path of its flames, to which they are immune (unusually, regular fire does normal damage). The Vibrava will be set alight, but not die- if enough flame is gathered (this process may take months), they will be able to attain their final form, cocooning once more.

-The final form of the creature is called the Flygon. It appears less chitinous and segmented than the previous forms, resembling a Dragon mixed with an insect. These creatures are very rare, given the difficulties in gaining enough Dragon's Fire (Dragons are as likely to bite as they are to breathe flame; Vibrava are notable not immune to giant teeth)- many Vibrava die of old age before they reach their final form. These large creatures are great warriors- among the best arthropod fighters in existence, rivaled only by the Remorhaz. Fast, agile, and strong, they are generally untameable (even tamed Vibrava tend to go completely solitary once they gain this status). Though they lack the raw power of a Dragon, they are often far more difficult to hit, and still hit very hard- they are even considered Dragons for the purpose of Magic and various Items.

-Both a Vibrava and a Flygon may breed- both produce eggs that become Trapinch. A Vibrava lays its eggs in the desert, blazing them with flames and burying them- an act which is fatal to the dehydrated creature. The Flygon also moves to the desert, but retains its life (a mature Flygon may breed a nearly limitless amount of times)- its own flames produce more quickly-maturing eggs, and the creature then either leaves the desert, or guards the nest (Ankhegs are notorious predators of Trapinch)- pairs usually do not stay together after mating, but often one parent will be a guardian until the eggs hatch (at which point it, too, will abandon the nest).

Jab's Notes: I really loved the whole Trapinch/Vibrava/Flygon thing in Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire- the ONE THING I was most eager to eventually get done in the game was actually raise my Trapinch into at least the first one. Alas, I never got to that point- I think I even delayed an Evolution once so that it would learn moves more quickly (unfortunately, that's not really a thing- I think I was mistaking the "____ Stone" Evolutions for regular ones, as THOSE can sometimes result in the loss of a potential move if you evolve them too quickly). He wasn't overly devastating, though, despite having a fairly high level- I couldn't find the right combinations for him, and I had OTHER stuff in the party that did anything it could, but better.

-The creatures have never appeared much in the mythos, despite showing up in many games. Typically, you'll just meet a random Trainer-Of-The-Day who might have one, and they're not episode-focus creatures. Despite that, they're obviously high-end once you evolve them fully- very few Pokemon hit their first evolution at Level 30.

-I wanted to stat up all three creatures, and make them all a bit different. Different habitats worked, though I dropped the thing in the game where they had a LOT of Ground-Based Attacks (they're Ground/Dragon-Types, not being Bug-Types at all). Typically, if you want to make a powerful Flygon, you give it Dragon Rage, Earthquake and a couple of other things, making it a multi-tier threat. Vibrava is a bit like the in-game creature (especially the Hypersonic thing), while with Flygon, I added in a lot of things I attach to Dragons, like the Immunities & Senses. I also made them more agile than tough, as they're still quite slender, undersized creatures for a "Dragon"-Type.

TRAPINCH
Role:
Aggressive Trap-Layer
PL 5 (62)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+2)
Perception 5 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Sand/Rocks) 8 (+8)
Stealth 5 (+8)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Startle

Powers:
"Insect Senses" Senses 1 (Acute Scent) [1]
"Tremorsense" Senses 3 (Ranged Radius Touch- Extended) [3]
Burrowing 4 [4]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Deserts) [2]

"Powerful Bite" Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Improved Critical) (Extras: Penetrating 6) [11]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Bite +5 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Trapinch cannot speak to sentients, nor use their limbs to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 16 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 21 / Defenses: 8 (62)

-Trapinch are fairly small, but very stealthy predators that wait at the bottom of massive sand pits, their powerful jaws awaiting their flailing prey.

ImageImage

VIBRAVA
Role:
Giant Insect
PL 8 (104)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+9)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+7)
Intimidation 8 (+6)
Perception 5 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Powers) 8 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Initiative, Startle

Powers:
"Insect Senses" Senses 2 (Acute & Extended Scent) [2]
Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [5]
"Detect Dragons" Senses 3 (Detect Dragons- Acute & Ranged) [3]
Immunity 5 (Dragon's Breath Weapons) [5]

"Hypersonic Pulse" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Feats: Improved Critical) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (25) -- [26]
  • AE: "Dragon Breath" Blast 8 (Feats: Improved Critical) (17)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Dragon Breath +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Hypersonic Pulse +8 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Will +6

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Vibravas cannot speak to sentients, nor use their limbs to easily manipulate objects.
Disabled (Poor Flight)- Vibrava wings are not able to make long-distance trips.

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 41 / Defenses: 12 (104)

-Vibravas are extremely fast and agile, but are poor distance fliers.
Jabroniville

Legendary Titans

Post by Jabroniville »

LEGENDARY TITANS
Role:
Guardians
PL 11 (152)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA -- AGILITY -2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE --

Skills:
Perception 12 (+14)

Advantages:
Close Attack 2, Fast Grab, Power Attack, Startle

Powers:
"Giant Golems"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 7 (Extras: Impervious 17) [24]
"Divine Parity" Immunity 20 (Divine Powers) [20]
Growth 7 (Str & Toughness +7, +7 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, -7 Stealth) -- (21 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [15]

"Divine Power" Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (33) -- [34]
  • AE: "Mighty Strike" Strength-Damage +2 (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Mighty Strike +10 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Area Attacks +11 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative -2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +14 (+9 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will --

Complications:
Disabled (Mute)- Legendary Titans do not speak.

Total: Abilities: 2 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 123 / Defenses: 16 (152)

-The three Legendary Titans of Castellia are actually Divine Guardians- golems infused with tremendous divine might from the Gods & Goddesses of the land. Multiple Pantheons, in fact, banded together to empower these creatures, in order to act as a safeguard against any one God allowing their champions to attack the others with weapons. In a sense, these beings created parity so that no one Pantheon can become too powerful- their Immunity to Divine Powers made it impossible for Clerics to bypass them, and they were so well hidden that most other explorers would never encounter them. What they hide is a matter of myth and legend- likely powerful weapons, or portals directly to the Divine Realms.

-Three Titans exist- Registeel, comprised of an alloy created from multiple rare metals of magical power (Adamantine, Uru, and morer); Regice, made of magically-infused ice at a temperature below Absolute Zero (SCIENCE!); and Regirock, created from the molten magma and the core of Castellia. Every one of them is over twenty feet tall and nearly impossible to injure for mortals. Their resistance to Divine Power prevents Gods or Clerics from damaging them, and only Dragons or the most powerful of Demons would dare, but the creatures are either too hidden or would invite too much backlash from the Gods if they were destroyed.

Jab's Notes: I honestly didn't care for these things- they were a big part of the "Secret End-Game Pokemon" of "Ruby & Sapphire", but I find their designs to be hopelessly generic- just big, plain Golems with circles on them. However, they really fit a fantasy universe quite well. I came up with the concept of them being super-durable guardians, perhaps not more powerful than many top-tier Dragons or Demon Lords, but enough to halt nearly any party. In the Pokemon games, the creatures are Legendaries with some high-end abilities- a look at their Moves basically reveals "All the crunchy super-attacks", with Attack Types running the gamut- Ice, Electric, Steel, Normal, Rock, Ground, etc. Basically, it can threaten nearly any other Pokemon with SOMETHING.

-I left out Regigigas, not really having a use for "Powerful Golem" without an element attached to it.

THE LEGENDARY TITANS:
REGISTEEL- PL 11 (177): Immunity 20 (Damage From Metals), Regeneration 10 (Flaws: Source- Heat) [25]
-Registeel is a semi-spherical golem whose magical exterior prevents any metal objects from damaging it.

REGICE- PL 11 (189): Cold Aura 8, Regeneration 10 (Source- Cold) [37]
-Regiice is blocky and exists in the coldest temperatures known.

REGIROCK- PL 11 (189): Burrowing 8, Move Object 12 (Extras: Perception-Ranged) (Flaws: Limited to Earth), Regeneration 10 (Flaws: Source- Rock & Earth) [37]
-Regirock often resembles mere rocky outcroppings, and can move the Earth. Stone Giants worship the concept of the creature, but rarely see it.
KorokoMystia

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Butterfree! Jynx! Mr. Mime! Jigglypuff!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Regigigas isn't really that useful in the games themselves, either, sadly, despite being the "master" of the three- It has MASSIVE physical stats, but is crippled by its "Slow Start" ability, which HALVES(!!) its stats for like five turns, and if ytou switch it out, the counter restarts! It'd probably best be handled as a Complication if used in M&M, something like "it takes a while to properly wake up, so suffers reduced stats for a few rounds" Besides that, though, it'd likely be at least a PL higher than the others, simply being bigger, stronger, and tougher.
Jabroniville

Wobbuffet

Post by Jabroniville »

WOBBUFFET
Role:
Psychic Monster
PL 10 (109)
STRENGTH
-2 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+2)
Insight 4 (+6)
Perception 8 (+10)
Stealth 2 (+6 Size)

Advantages:
Fearless, Power Attack

Powers:

"Shadow Tag" Immunity 2 (Opponent Fleeing) [2]
"Safeguard" Immunity 10 (Debuffs) (Extras: Affects Others) (Flaws: Fades) [10]

"Destiny Bond" Blast 10 (Feats: Accurate 5) (Extras: Reaction +3, Ranged) (Flaws: Source- Enemy Attacks, Limited to at Attacker and at Their Strength) (35) -- [36]
  • AE: "Mirror Coat" Damage 10 (Feats: Accurate 4) (Flaws: Source- Enemy Attacks) (9)
Offense:
Mirror Coat +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Destiny Bond +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +8, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Wobbuffet cannot speak to humans, nor use its limbs to easily manipulate objects.
Vulnerable (Bug, Ghost & Dark Attacks)- Wobbuffet's creature type leaves it vulnerable to the attacks of insect-like creatures, Ghosts & Darkness.
Weakness (Psionic Movement)- Kadabra have great psionic powers, but weak muscles. If it's psionic powers were somehow disabled, it would become unable to move itself- as it floats and even holds it's own enlarged brain up via psychokinesis.

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 65 / Defenses: 13 (109)

-Wobbuffets are strange, little-seen, cave-dwelling psychic creatures which typically keep to themselves. Docile and non-violent, they will never attack first, but turn very hostile if their tails are threatened. They dislike bright lights, and are thus often seen squinting or making annoyed sounds if caught out in the daylight. Typically eating only mushrooms and other things that grow in the Underdark, they are surprisingly dangerous to those who attack them. Their toughness is remarkable for such a small creature (they are about as tough as a rhinoceros or small elephant), and when struck, they can almost immediately lash out with an attack of equal power. One attack, a melee strike, doubles the attack strength of their attacker, while the other strikes at range and goes off automatically, at equal strength to the attack. Generally speaking, as the creatures are neither delicious nor plentiful, they are usually left alone by anyone familiar with them.

Jab's Notes: Japan being weird is nothing new, but creating a Pokemon out of a random morning-show comedian? And making him a FREQUENT reappearing gag? His Japanese name, "Sonans", is a phrase meaning "That's the way it is" (his baby version, Sohnano, has a name meaning "Really?")- the "hand to the forehead" thing it does is probably inspired by a late Japanese comedian Sanpei Hayashiya, who used "that's the way it is, ma'am" as a catchphrase while doing the same move. As a Pokemon that can only do damage if attacked first, it is likely based off of a punching bag, or the notion of karma.

-Jessie's Wobbuffet has become a recurring element in the show, as she accidentally traded her Lickitung for one. Though it's proven to be a strong battler, it's usually just there to shriek its name right at the end of the "Team Rocket's blasting off AGAINNNNNNNNN!!!", bursting out of the Pokeball as the team is sent away. It's notably in the game for having only four possible moves- it can't even use TMs or HMs for other ones! Despite that, its unusual combination of moves left it banned from all tournaments until Generation V in the game series, as its "Shadow Tag" ability made it too hard to counter.

-And yes, the "Shadow Tag" thing is a bit weird. I didn't feel like statting out a weird Limited Mind Control that prevented fleeing.
Jabroniville

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Jigglypuff! Vibrava! Wobbuffet!)

Post by Jabroniville »

The posting of Wobuffett nearly completes all of the intended Pokemon I had to build for this thread- he's on there mainly because he interested me conceptually- he was all over the anime, but sucked.

There's a couple of others I want to look up for this thread, but I'm mostly done... but going over my old Poke-Builds, I realize that some of them were REALLY sub-par. Primarily because my research and commentary wasn't as thorough in the old days (most of them were posted on the ATT in 2011!!). And when I created this thread, I was largely just re-posting information, for the most part.

So now I look at some of the bigger names... and want MORE. So as such, I will slowly (probably posting only once a week, if that) re-doing the Ecologies and Commentaries for various Pokemon whose notes I consider sub-par.

To Re-Post List:
Blastoise
Bulbasaur
Pikachu
Kadabra
Drowzee
Groudon & Kyogre
Mew
Vulpix
Psyduck
Geodude
Tropius
Clefairy
Doduo
Primeape
Onix
Parasect
Rapidash
Sandshrew
Scyther
Staryu

New Pokemon:

Raquaza
Mewtwo

I can still stat up Pokemon if they're requested, though I REALLY beg you not to list any Legendaries. Statting them is not fun at all (they're very "Same-y"), and placing them into the universe is even more difficult.
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

Hey Jab, been referencing this thread a lot for a few fantasy games I've been running with Mutants and Masterminds lately, so I really wanted to post a big thank you despite for how long this thread has been dead LOL.

Also, if the offer of requesting Pokémon builds is somehow still available, despite this thread being dead for over 2 years, I'd really love to see your take on builds for the Applin line from the Sword and Shield games, since those are a few of the best (and, honestly, few good ones, LOL) gen 8 designs in my opinion:

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Oh hey, thanks! Glad to be of service, lol.

Also, this reminds me that I totally intended to go back and re-do the bios for the builds I left very short (when I first posted them to the ATT, I did only tiny bios for Pokemon, so my "original" posts are now the shortest, since I didn't add to them when I posted them here). But then I forgot it and when I looked back at this thread, over a year had gone by :).

In honor of your MHA thread, I can do your request. And since I've been looking for a side-project to maybe do once in a while. Something like this might be fun. Cuz, y'know, if there's one thing I need to do, it's add ANOTHER thread to my to-do list :).
Jabroniville

Doduo

Post by Jabroniville »

DODUO
Role:
Freaky Ostrich, Odd Mount
PL 5 (47)- Minion Rank 4, Sidekick Rank 10
Normal Version:
PL 3-4
STRENGTH 4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+8)
Close Combat (Kick) 1 (+5)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+5)
Intimidation 5 (+2)
Perception 5 (+5)

Advantages:
Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Kick)

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 2 (Extended & Low-Light Vision) [2]
Speed 4 (30 mph) [4]
"Powerful Kick/Peck" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

"Two Heads"
Senses 1 (Radius Sight) [1]
Enhanced Advantages 2: Second Chance 2 (Mind Control, Perception Checks) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Kick +5 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +3

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Birds cannot speak to humans, nor use their talons to easily manipulate objects.
Responsibility (Squabbling)- Doduo's heads have different personalities, meaning they can sometimes squabble with each other.

Total: Abilities: 14 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 11 (47)

Notes: Some have three heads- this upgrades the "Kick" to a Multiattack "Peck", adding five more points.

Era: Modern
Range: Plains
Stereotypes: Skittish & Ornery.
Colouring: Brown or olive-green feathers with black (male) or pink (female) skin.
Size: Up to 9.5 feet tall (220-350 lbs.)
Encounter Groups: Mixed-sex herds
Diet: Seeds & flowers, sometimes insects
Tactics: Flee using speed, or kick with powerful legs.

-"Doduo" are related to ostriches, having been regular birds exposed to magical Ley Lines, the end result being multiple heads. These creatures are not any stronger than regular Ostriches, but are much wilder and more unpredictable, while also packing two heads with which to peck adversaries with very long, pointed beaks. This makes them surprisingly-decent mounts if one is willing to put up with a lot of scarring. The creatures appear to have an identical brain in each head, but only one will sleep or feed at a time- the other remains alert. They will still rest, however, as their bodies will tire after too much activity.

-Typically, a Doduo has two heads, both identical. However, "Dodrios", with three heads, are also ocasionally seen. The two may breed with each other, generally producing two-headed chicks- only Dodrios breed themselves consistently. The difference appears to be regional, with certain magic-intensive areas producing three-headed creatures. Dodrios are usually much more vicious than Doduos, and the heads much more likely to peck at each other and bicker to decide the order of which ones will feed.

Jab's Notes: Doduo and Dodrio are CLASSIC "Filler Pokemon"- take a regular animal, change something slightly, and call it a day. Though the whole "multiple heads" thing is a neat gimmick, and I wish the series would use it more. As a Normal/Flying Type, Doduo is pretty typical, but most people will use Pidgeot, especially since you get that MUCH earlier (Doduo is found near the midpoint of the game), and looks much more epic and cool at higher levels. The game and the show clearly didn't care about these guys, as they almost never appeared in anything but a minor "background" role, or as filler, to avoid showing off a good Pokemon that might distract viewers. Seriously, it's biggest role was as an idiot fighter that had to be recalled because the heads wouldn't stop pecking each other. Despite being so minor, their simplicity has made them an easy choice in the series- they have appeared in seven of the eight generations of the games.