Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Sudowoodo! Sunflora! Donphan!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Abominations

Post by Jabroniville »

ABOMINATIONS:
"Abomination" is the popular term for the various creatures that have no determinate origin- even the Gods often have no clue from where these creatures came. There is often very little connecting Abominations- all that is known is that they have bizarre anatomical structures, all are asexual (that is, lacking gender in any form), and all of them appear to predate almost all the sentient life on Earth- even the mighty Dragon Gods claim to have witnessed these creatures on the planet before the creation of the "Lesser Races". This bizarre package entails a fearsome collection of monsters, some of whom are borderline animalistic, while others are devastatingly intelligent beings.

-Abominations do not typically gather together between races- they are all far too different in social structure, habitat, and physical requirements. They are as likely to ally with other Humanoids as anything. There is also a question as to the long-term goals of any of these races- some, like the Aboleth and Illithids, wish to rule and dominate other creatures, for the ultimate purpose of taking over the world. Beholders are more solitary and self-focused, while the Grell are simple predators. Their numbers are often in flux- dozens of Mind Flayers will appear in a matter of years, then they will vanish for decades. Aboleths have always seemed rare, and Beholders even moreso (most adventurers claim to have slain "The Beholder", assuming there to be one). It is likely that almost all other sentients outnumber these creatures, but no matter: they have all eternity to wait.

Jab's Notes: Abominations are my term for D&D's "Abberations" (since I never liked that term)- the weird anatomies, strange natures, and altogether Lovecraftian nature is very unique. I was never really into them as a concept- it seemed like more of a lazy "catch-all" term for "Weird Stuff", and the worst of them are basically rip-offs. However, I picked up the book "Lords of Madness" a 3.5 Edition "Race Focus" book on Abberations, and I gained an appreciation for many of them. Their innate WEIRDNESS actually started to impress me- by being so inhuman, the creators were forced to give them a VERY unique set of cultures, habits, and cities. Crazy images like a city of Mind Flayers, a giant Column-City filled with Beholders, and various Tactics articles and weird "Ecology" stuff was crazy. I love that kind of "fluff" nonsense that describes the natures of unnatural creatures, and goes so in-depth into things that I seriously doubt any player has ever actually gone into :).

-The following creatures aren't really MAJOR factors in my setting- many of them are just randomly-encountered sentients. I can't imagine there's too many of ANY of them, but their goals are hidden, their motives secret, and they're almost all functionally immortal.
Jabroniville

Aboleths

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

ABOLETH:
Creature Type: Abomination, Aquatic
Typical Adult Height: 18-36' long
Birth Rate: 1-3 eggs once every 5 years
Lifespan: 0-5 (infant), 6-25 (juvenile), 26-50 (young adult), 51-Ageless (adult)
Nicknames: Smart Sharks, Evil Sharks
Sexual Dimorphism: Asexual
Skin Tones: Any possible colour, usually gray
Hair: None
Racial Mounts & Animals: None
Racial Weapons: None
Religion: None

Allies: Aquatic Humanoids, Death Mantas, Illithids, Shokan

Encounter Groups:
Solo (1, plus 0-5 Slaves)
Gang (2-5 plus 0-2 Elites, 0-25 Slaves, 0-1 Monster)
Band (5-8 plus 0-5 Elites, 5-55 Slaves, 0-2 Monsters)
Tribe (5-25 plus 0-10 Elites, 5-120 Slaves, 0-5 Monsters)

PL Variants:
PL 6-7: Weaker Specimens
PL 8-10: Common Aboleths
PL 11+: Elites

-Aboleths are among the strangest creatures in the world- aquatic super-predators with a lethal intellect, psionic powers, and Transformative abilities, all wrapped up in a bizarre Shark-like body. Their anatomies are truly unique- three eyes on top of each other, four tentacles, rubbery mucous-like skin and psionic powers add up to a very strange creature.

Jab's Notes: I usually ignored these guys back in the day- as the first creature to appear in most Monster Manuals, it was easily-skipped. "Lords of Madness" was an inspiration here- a race of Sharks... that HATE YOU? Freaking awesome! Three-eyed monsters with psionic powers, transformative abilities, and devious intellects that allow them to plan ahead for centuries, and remember everything? Even BETTER. I imagine these guys to be a great "threat BEHIND the threat", revealing themselves after several other, lesser bad guys have been beaten in order of talent (even Elder Abominations suffer from the "Super-Villain Cliche" of always sending in the weakest threat first, then losing henchmen in successive order of ability).

ABOLETH
Role:
Lethal Underwater Abomination
PL 10 (230)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 9 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+7)
Expertise (History) 6 (+10)
Insight 6 (+9)
Intimidation 6 (+9, +12 Size)
Perception 10 (+13)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 9 (+10, +4 Size)

Advantages:
Beginner's Luck, Chokehold, Diehard, Eidetic Memory, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Tentacles), Improved Hold, Jack-of-All-Trades, Ranged Attack 6, Startle, Well-Informed

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 6 (Extended 2 & Acute Scent, Tracking-Scent, Low-Light & Extended Vision) [6]
"Lateral Lines" Senses 1 (Ranged Touch) [1]
"Electrolocation" Senses 5 (Detect Electrical Signals- Acute, Accurate & Ranged) [5]

"Sea Creature"
Swimming 6 (16 mph) [6]
Immunity 4 (Aging, Drowning, Pressure, Cold) [4]

"Natural Size" Growth 6 (Str & Sta +6, +6 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, -6 Stealth) -- (18 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [13]
"Scales" Protection 1 [1]

"Four Tentacles" Extra Limbs 2 [2]
"Tentacle Strike" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach 2) [4]
Immunity 10 (Psionic Magic) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [5]

"Inherent Gold Magic"
"Transformative Mucous Cloud" Affliction 9 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Transformed to Amphibian) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Cumulative, Reaction +3, Area- 15ft. Cloud) (55) -- [77]
  • Dynamic AE: "Choking Mucous Cloud" Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Progressive +2, Cumulative, Area- 15ft. Cloud) (51)
"Inherent Violet Magic"
  • Dynamic AE: "Mirage Arcana" Illusion (All Senses) 10 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area) (Flaws: Resistible by Will) (51)
  • Dynamic AE: "Hypnotic Pattern" Affliction 10 (Will; Entranced/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- Visual Perception, Sustained +2) (41)
  • Dynamic AE: "Veil" Morph 4 (Any Object) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Attack) (25)
  • Dynamic AE: "Enslave" Mind Control 10 (Feats: Dynamic, Subtle) (42)
  • Dynamic AE: "Telepathy" Communication (Mental) 2 (Feats: Dynamic) Linked to Mind Reading 4 (Extras: Area) (21)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Transformative Cloud +9 Area (+9 Affliction, DC 19)
Choking Cloud/Hypnotic Pattern +10 Area (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Enslave +10 Perception (+10 Perception Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +10, Fortitude +11, Will +9

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 124 / Defenses: 21 (230)

Jab's Notes: These guys are scary- I scrapped a lot of the D&D Translation stuff and just said "Nope, it's a PL 10 creature with PL 10 stuff". They have Psionic Abilities, combined with Alchemical power (their ability to Transform guys into Aquatic creatures- and thus, better slaves). I drew most of their powers together, despite being some being longer-lasting in the official stats- this reduces cost (you can't have them as Alt-Effects if they're Continuous), and gives them some flaws. All their Illusory powers in D&D are basically just one set power in M&M, so "Illusion" is fine.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Shock

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Arcanine! Zubat! Owlbear! Abominations!)

Post by Shock »

Transformative Mucous Cloud might be my new favorite attack name
Jabroniville

Grell

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

GRELL:
Creature Type: Abomination
Typical Adult Height: 3-4' wide, 8' long tentacles
Birth Rate: 2-25 eggs once ever 4-10 years
Lifespan: 0-5 (infants), 5-10 (young adult), 10-200 (adult)
Nicknames: Flying Brains
Skin Tones: Usually pink or gray
Racial Weapons: Spears
Religion: None

Allies: Illithids

Encounter Groups:
Solo (1)
Gang (2-5 plus 0-2 Elites)
Band (5-10 plus 0-4 Elites, 0-5 Slaves, 0-1 Monster)
Tribe (8-25 plus 0-6 Elites, 0-25 Slaves, 0-2 Monsters)

PL Variants:
PL 3-5: Weaker Specimens
PL 6: Typical Grell
PL 7+: Elites, Important Characters

-Grell are dangerous creatures with human-level intelligence, and are true Abominations- a mix of Parrot's Beak, Giant's Brain, and Squid's tentacles, and with it's own inherent magical abilities. They rarely gather in large groups, but some are known- they are often split into Feral or Civilized Grell, based off of whether they live in the wild or in static tribes. The capabilities and intelligence of these two types are not different, however.

GRELL
Role:
Tentacled Brain
PL 5 (92)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+4)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+6)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+6)
Insight 1 (+2)
Intimidation 7 (+5)
Perception 7 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Startle

Powers:
"Blindsight" Senses 5 (Accurate Scent, Accurate Ranged Touch) [5]
"Ten Tentacles" Extra Limbs 6 [6]
"Long Limbs" Reach 1 [1]
"Buoyant Flight" Flight 2 (8 mph) [4]
Immunity 12 (Electrical & Paralysis Effects) [12]
Features 1: May Regrow Severed Tentacles After One Day [1]

"Paralytic Tentacles" Strength-Damage +1 (Extras: Multiattack 3) Linked to Affliction 4 (Fort; Fatigued/Stunned/Paralyzed) (Extras: Cumulative, Multiattack) [16]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+3 Damage & +4 Affliction, DC 18 & 14)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
Disabled (Blind)- Though they have other accurate senses, Grell are blind, and cannot tell colours or the like apart.

Total: Abilities: 22 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 50 / Defenses: 9 (92)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Shock wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:37 pm Transformative Mucous Cloud might be my new favorite attack name
"Mucous Cloud" is the actual name from the book, too :). The tentacle attack has the "Transformation" name, but I just combined them together.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Shock wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:37 pm Transformative Mucous Cloud might be my new favorite attack name
It would make a great band name.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
MissRo

Post by MissRo »

Fuck you, aboleths. Fuck you.
Woodclaw

Re: Abominations

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:41 am ABOMINATIONS:
"Abomination" is the popular term for the various creatures that have no determinate origin- even the Gods often have no clue from where these creatures came. There is often very little connecting Abominations- all that is known is that they have bizarre anatomical structures, all are asexual (that is, lacking gender in any form), and all of them appear to predate almost all the sentient life on Earth- even the mighty Dragon Gods claim to have witnessed these creatures on the planet before the creation of the "Lesser Races". This bizarre package entails a fearsome collection of monsters, some of whom are borderline animalistic, while others are devastatingly intelligent beings.

-Abominations do not typically gather together between races- they are all far too different in social structure, habitat, and physical requirements. They are as likely to ally with other Humanoids as anything. There is also a question as to the long-term goals of any of these races- some, like the Aboleth and Illithids, wish to rule and dominate other creatures, for the ultimate purpose of taking over the world. Beholders are more solitary and self-focused, while the Grell are simple predators. Their numbers are often in flux- dozens of Mind Flayers will appear in a matter of years, then they will vanish for decades. Aboleths have always seemed rare, and Beholders even moreso (most adventurers claim to have slain "The Beholder", assuming there to be one). It is likely that almost all other sentients outnumber these creatures, but no matter: they have all eternity to wait.

Jab's Notes: Abominations are my term for D&D's "Abberations" (since I never liked that term)- the weird anatomies, strange natures, and altogether Lovecraftian nature is very unique. I was never really into them as a concept- it seemed like more of a lazy "catch-all" term for "Weird Stuff", and the worst of them are basically rip-offs. However, I picked up the book "Lords of Madness" a 3.5 Edition "Race Focus" book on Abberations, and I gained an appreciation for many of them. Their innate WEIRDNESS actually started to impress me- by being so inhuman, the creators were forced to give them a VERY unique set of cultures, habits, and cities. Crazy images like a city of Mind Flayers, a giant Column-City filled with Beholders, and various Tactics articles and weird "Ecology" stuff was crazy. I love that kind of "fluff" nonsense that describes the natures of unnatural creatures, and goes so in-depth into things that I seriously doubt any player has ever actually gone into :).

-The following creatures aren't really MAJOR factors in my setting- many of them are just randomly-encountered sentients. I can't imagine there's too many of ANY of them, but their goals are hidden, their motives secret, and they're almost all functionally immortal.
One of the things that always rubbed me the wrong way about these kind of creatures is the feeling that they're meant to be unique, but they actually aren't. Some of those I can definitely see as part of a species, but others feel more like they took a concept that was meant to go in one highly specific niche and let them loose.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Being a fan of Lovecraftian horror and the Cthulhu Mythos, I always enjoyed the designs of the Aberrations in D&D. I'm looking forward to seeing your Illithid and Beholder builds.
Formerly luketheduke86
Jabroniville

Illithids

Post by Jabroniville »

ILLITHID:
Creature Type: Monstrous Humanoid, Abomination
Typical Adult Height: 5'2-8'
Birth Rate: 1-2 tadpole-like offspring once every 5 years
Lifespan: 0-1,000 (Starts life as adult)
Nicknames: Brain-Eaters, Mind-Flayers
Skin Tones: Any possible colour
Racial Weapons: Large clubs (usually chunks of tree or building materials)
Religion: Ilsensine (God of Knowledge and Power)

Allies: Evil Dwarves, Orcs, Goblins, Shokan, Fire Giants, Dark Elves

Encounter Groups:
Solo (1, plus 2-5 Slaves)
Gang (2-5 plus 0-2 Elites, 2-20 Slaves, 0-1 Monster)
Band (5-8 plus 0-2 Elites, 5-50 Slaves, 0-2 Monsters)
Tribe (5-25 plus 0-8 Elites, 5-100 Slaves, 0-5 Monsters)

PL Variants:
PL 4-6: Weaker Specimens
PL 7: Common Mind Flayer
PL 8: Elites
PL 9+: Ulitharids, Important Characters

-Illithids (commonly referred to as "Mind Flayers" or "Brain Eaters", for these creatures consume the brains of others via a lamprey-like mouth at the centre of their Octopus-like heads) are primordial creatures from the "Before-Time", the era to which even DRAGONS express curiosity and wonderment about. Illithids believe that they are the most ancient creatures in the world, and are thus owed a spectacular amount of power. They use other sentients for food, slave labour, or warrior-guardians, and have very little respect for anybody. Despising sunlight, the Illithids make their homes in large underground cities, leaving their territory only in search of knowledge or food. They are famed Alchemists, and many of the most disturbing experimentation upon living creatures is undergone by Illithid Mages.

-Illithid breeding is truly horrific- brain-eating tadpole-like offspring (created asexually, like all Abominations) are inserted into the ear of sentient humanoids, which then undergo a disgusting metamorphosis into a full-grown Illithid, retaining few, if any, of the host-body's skills or personality. Occasionally, Mind Flayers place faulty or flawed "Illithidlings" into the brains of other creatures in the name of experimentation. These tadpoles come from massive spawning pools that house the Elder Brain, an unmoving creature that is based off the combined thoughts and knowledge of all the dead Illithids whose brains have been placed within the pool (a sacred ritual). These Elder Brains give the orders in Illithid communities, which can number into the dozens, with one or two even reaching over a thousand.
Jabroniville

Mind Flayers

Post by Jabroniville »

ILLITHID (Mind Flayer)
Role:
Primordial Brain-Eating Scum
PL 7 (142)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+4)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (any) 5 (+9)
Expertise (any) 5 (+9)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 7 (+10)
Perception 6 (+9)
Stealth 5 (+7)

Advantages:
Benefit (Ambidexterity), Fast Grab, Improved Initiative, Improved Grapple, Improved Hold, Ranged Attack 4, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"Underground Creatures" Senses 2 (Darkvision) [2]
"Tentacles" Extra Limbs 4 (Feats: Reach) [5]
"Brain Extraction" Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Improved Critical 2, Penetrating 5) (Flaws: Grab-Based) [9]
"Ageless Abomination" Immunity 2 (Aging, Disease) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [1]

"Inherent Violet Magic"
Communication (Mental) 1 (Extras: Area) [6]
"Mind Blast" Damage 7 (Area- 60ft. Cone, Will Save) (21) -- [25]
  • AE: "Charm Monster" Mind Control 7 (Flaws: Limited to Animals) (21)
  • AE: Mind-Reading 7 (14)
  • AE: "Suggestion" Affliction 7 (Will; Entranced/Compelled) (Extras: Perception Range +2, Cumulative) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (21)
  • AE: "Astral Form" Remote Sensing 7 (Visuals & Hearing) (Flaws: Physical Body is Defenseless) (14)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Brain Extraction +7 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Mental Effects +7 Perception (+7 Perception Affliction, DC 17)
Mind Blast +7 Area (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Controlling the World)
Weakness (Light-Blind)- Illithids are easily-blinded by Visual Dazzles, and avoid sunlight in general. No Mind Flayer will willingly go out into the sun.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 52 / Defenses: 11 (142)

Jab's Notes: Even in basic form, an Illithid is quite powerful- PL 7 at it's base, with numerous Psionic powers at it's advantage, but lacks physical prowess comparatively, and must be grappling (at Strength 2, they're not that capable, even WITH all their Advantages based around grabbing guys). These are mainly from the actual D&D stats of the things.

Illithoid Template (18 points):
Advantages: Benefit (Ambidexterity) [1]
"Brain Extraction" Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Improved Critical 2, Penetrating 5) (Flaws: Grab-Based) [9]
"Ageless Abomination" Immunity 2 (Aging, Disease) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [1]

-This template can be added to any creature that has an Illithid tadpole inserted into it's brain- Lions, Elephants, even Giant Spiders. Who knows what bizarre creatures can exist out their?

ULITHARID (Mind Flayer Elite)
Role:
Primordial Brain-Eating Scum
PL 9 (177)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+6)
Deception 6 (+10)
Expertise (any) 7 (+12)
Expertise (any) 7 (+12)
Insight 5 (+8)
Intimidation 8 (+11, +12 Size)
Perception 7 (+11)
Stealth 7 (+9, +7 Size)

Advantages:
Benefit (Ambidexterity), Fast Grab, Improved Initiative, Improved Grapple, Improved Hold, Ranged Attack 4, Startle, Takedown, Ultimate Expertise (choose one)

Powers:
"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (8 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]
Reach 1 [1]

"Ageless Abomination" Immunity 2 (Aging, Disease) [2]

"Inherent Violet Magic"
Communication (Mental) 2 (Extras: Area) [12]
"Mind Blast" Damage 9 (Area- 60ft. Cone, Will Save) (27) -- [32]
  • AE: "Mass Charm Monster" Mind Control 9 (Flaws: Limited to Animals) (27)
  • AE: Mind-Reading 9 (Extras: Area) (27)
  • AE: "Suggestion" Affliction 9 (Will; Entranced/Compelled) (Extras: Perception Range +2, Cumulative) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (27)
  • AE: "Mass Suggestion" Affliction 9 (Will; Entranced/Compelled) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Selective, Cumulative) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (27)
  • AE: "Astral Form" Remote Sensing 9 (Visuals & Hearing) (Flaws: Physical Body is Defenseless) (18)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Brain Extraction +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Mental Effects +9 Perception (+9 Perception Affliction, DC 19)
Mind Blast +9 Area (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +7, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Controlling the World)
Weakness (Light-Blind)- Illithids are easily-blinded by Visual Dazzles, and avoid sunlight in general. No Mind Flayer will willingly go out into the sun.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 73 / Defenses: 13 (177)

-Ulitharids are the rarest creatures among Illithids- one in every thousand is one. Created when an extra-long tadpole is inserted into a Humanoid, Ulitharids are viewed as prophets and Kings among Illithids, and are often given the positions of greatest power.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

MissRo wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:28 pm Fuck you, aboleths. Fuck you.
Heh- bad experience in gaming :)?
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:07 am
MissRo wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:28 pm Fuck you, aboleths. Fuck you.
Heh- bad experience in gaming :)?
Well timed enough, my own worst experiences are mind flayer related. I love the Lovecraftian bastards but they were a goddamn pain in the arse and even one of them could wind up taking out half a party back in my Baldur's Gate days. Though I suppose that's what you get with AOE stun attacks followed by a series of insta-kill melee attacks.

As for the template and its possible uses...

I introduce you to the Mindwitness. Which is simultaneously awesome and utterly cruel to players.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
catsi563

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Zubats! Aboleths! Grell! Mind Flayers!)

Post by catsi563 »

yeah mind flayers were always my bane as well. lost a near entire party to group of those calling themselves the third eye council what was running a small kingdom from the shadows.

the players revenge was brutal and sweet.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
L-Space

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Zubats! Aboleths! Grell! Mind Flayers!)

Post by L-Space »

Mind Flayers are (IMO) one of the best D&D monsters. They're manipulators (making them good background enemies), they have a good creep factor, they can have a group of thralls/abominations at their disposal, and they have interesting powers. I actually think they could fit in a superhero setting as an evil alien empire pretty easily as well.
Formerly luketheduke86