World of Freedom 3.2 - Whatever Comes To Mind

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Davies

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Splotch! Card Seeker Wakaba! The Sentinels (updated)!

Post by Davies »

Well, short preview that applies to everybody -- sometime around 2011-2012, there was a reality shift that resulted in the current version of history having a single team known as the Sentinels existing prior to the formation of a team by that name in Emerald City, rather than three of them.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
MacynSnow

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Splotch! Card Seeker Wakaba! The Sentinels (updated)!

Post by MacynSnow »

Davies wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:09 pm Well, short preview that applies to everybody -- sometime around 2011-2012, there was a reality shift that resulted in the current version of history having a single team known as the Sentinels existing prior to the formation of a team by that name in Emerald City, rather than three of them.
So what happened to the members of the other two teams?...
Shock

Post by Shock »

I assume "reality shift" means they never existed
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Shock wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:52 am I assume "reality shift" means they never existed
Maybe.OR they were shunted to an Alternate Earth History...
Davies

Post by Davies »

They all still exist (or existed in the case of the Golden Age team), they were just never a permanent team. Hence the forthcoming articles.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Hardcore

Born in 1967 and thus coming up on his fiftieth birthday -- though from the looks of things he seems to have inherited his father's near-agelessness -- Jacob Hannibal Steele has never had anything that could be considered a normal life. He was the son of a hero of the golden age, born to a hero of the silver age, so there was never really any question that he was going to be a superhero. After his mother's death when he was five, Doc Steele made a few half-hearted gestures towards keeping him from that destiny, but ultimately stepped back to let his eldest son pursue that course. (He'd have a little more success with Jake's younger brother.)

At the age of 13, when he was practically a full grown man, he made his debut under the alias of the Masked Tornado, a member of the final incarnation of the original Freedom League. Sadly, less than a year after the Masked Tornado joined up, the Freedom League was devastated by their battle against the Katanarchists, and disbanded. Just a few months after that, the Metahuman Registration Act was signed into law, and for a while it seemed that Jake's career was over before it had really got started. When the act was finally struck down in early 1982, Doc finally gave his son permission to start heroing without backup as a reward for his restraint in staying inactive while it was law. (He didn't find out about a few minor incidents until much later ...)

Aside from a few team-ups with other solo heroes, Hardcore was completely independent over the next few years. In 1990, however, he ran into the new Raven while they were chasing the same gang of boosted thugs, and found that they worked surprisingly well together. They next worked together to investigate the murder of Crusader the next year, ultimately discovering the killer's identity but prevented from bringing the killer -- or the killer's killer -- to justice by circumstances beyond their control. They would work together a few more times after this, but their mutual awareness of an increasing attraction between the two of them forced them apart for a long time.

In March of 1993, while Hardcore was busy chasing down some saboteurs on Steele Omnitech's private space station (turned out to be Voth infiltrators ... little grey b-----ds ...) the Terminus Invasion occurred. He was unable to get back down to Earth until it was all over. This has been an unpleasant refrain throughout Hardcore's life ever since. He managed to join the fight against the Grue invasion, but was conspicuously absent for many other crises faced by the heroes of Freedom City. He keeps running into trouble that's a little more than even he can handle, and yet resists the idea of joining with other heroes who might be able to provide back-up. (Some have suggested that he was more affected by the deaths of Halogen and Tectonic than he's ever been able to admit to himself.)

The long-standing attraction between himself and Callie Summers finally blossomed into romance in 2007, and they enjoyed a relationship that lasted right up until Callie's father passed away and she had to make some major changes in her life ... changes that couldn't include him. (She also confessed her emotional infideliity with Charlie Graham, which didn't bother Jake, exactly , but did stun him that she'd managed to keep that a secret for so many years.) They remain friends, but aside from congratulations offered after her successful mayoral campaign, haven't had much to say to each other in quite some time.

His most persistent enemies of the last decade have been the Prometheans, the children of his father's nemesis Dr. Prometheus. Even without their notorious father, they remain fairly serious threats to the safety of the world. Fortunately, they're also a fractious bunch who have rarely even considered joining forces against Jake -- even when two or more of them are operating in the same area, Hardcore is usually able to take them down one by one, sometimes with the assistance of their renegade "sister" Blackheart.

Hardcore remains one of the leading heroes of his day, but is just as pleased to see that newer, younger heroes who might surpass him keep rising up. He teamed up with Centuria, recently, and has had nothing but good things to say about her ... but was a bit startled when he realized that she was rather blatantly checking him out. He's twice her age, for pity's sake! Is he under some sort of curse, to be the romantic target of heroines from Freedom City? (In fact, she was just appreciating the view, and isn't romantically interested in him at all. There's someone else on her mind.)

Hardcore -- PL 13

Abilities: STR 14 | STA 12 | AGL 2 | DEX 3 | FGT 8 | INT 2 | AWE 2 | PRE 4
Powers: Fast (Leaping 5; Speed 4), Keen Senses (Senses 3 [extended hearing, extended vision, low-light vision]), "Hard to Hurt" (Impervious Toughness 12; Immunity 11 [aging, life support]; Protection 6; Regeneration 4).
Equipment: 50 points of equipment as needed (usually spent on vehicles).
Advantages: Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Assessment, Benefit 2 (independently wealthy), Close Attack 4, Connected, Diehard, Equipment 10, Fearless, Improved Defense, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Pin, Improved Trip, Inspire 2, Languages 2, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Set-Up, Skill Mastery 2 (Perception, Vehicles), Teamwork, Ultimate Save (Toughness).
Skills: Athletics 1 (+15), Deception 3 (+7), Expertise: Current Events 6 (+8), Insight 12 (+14), Intimidation 6 (+10), Perception 13 (+15), Persuasion 6 (+10), Ranged Combat: Thrown Weapon 5 (+8), Technology 4 (+6), Vehicles 12 (+15).
Offense: Initiative +10, Unarmed +12 (Close Damage 14).
Defense: Dodge 6, Parry 8, Fortitude 14, Toughness 18, Will 12.
Totals: Abilities 94 + Powers 45 + Advantages 38 + Skills 34 + Defenses 17 = 228 points
Complications: Doing Good--Motivation. Enemies (oh so many). Fame. Family. Smart-Ass.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Of all the times to get hit with writer's block ...
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Hardcore is pretty cool. I like a superhero-ified Doc Savage type.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Iron Angel

The Saeduun Commonwealth lies in that segment of the Perseus Spiral Arm of the Milky Way Galaxy which is presently closest to the solar system -- which still means that it is vastly further away from Earth than the Grue Hegemony or the worlds of the former Lor Republic, all of which lie in the Orion Spiral Arm. But the vagaries of hyperdrive and subspace communications can mean that such vast distances are tiny, and so it was that an Saeduun explorer discovered Earth in the 1960s, examined the planet (and the solar system) to learn about its many strange properties, and, having reported all this to his superiors, was assigned to stand watch over Earth for the foreseeable future. He settled in, posing as a human, and was genuinely surprised to discover that his species and the human race were genetically compatible. His daughter was born in 1974.

When Sarah Anne Thompson's mother passed away, her father revealed to his daughter the truth about himself, and the fact that she was beginning to demonstrate psychic powers significantly earlier than a typical Saeduun child did. He impressed on her the vital importance of keeping all this a secret, and she managed to do so for more than a decade, only revealing her powers while training -- first with her father, then later alone once she'd outstripped him. (She almost wonders whether he might have used compulsion on her to create that unnatural secrecy, but if so, it's something she's long since overcome.)

Sarah was finally forced to use her abilities to help save lives during a hostage taking on the CalTech campus where she was a psychology grad student, managing to keep her real identity a secret through the use of a mask she borrowed from the drama department. As the so-called Iron Angel, she fought crime in the Los Angeles area for a few months before she was offered a position with the United Nations International Quorum of Unaligned Exceptionals (UNIQUE). She would prove to be one of the few members of the team who came out of the Hypersapien attempt to seize control of the United Nations with her reputation intact, and went on to become a founding member of the Vanguard team that succeeded the Quorum following its dissolution. Most recently, following the loss in action of Luminary, Iron Angel has been promoted into the role of field leader for Vanguard Team A.

As a member of Vanguard, she engaged in a long psychic duel of wits with the Mindbender (see Paragons), and does not believe reports that her nemesis has met a final, firey end. On a more personal level, Iron Angel's most persistent foe is a renegade Saeduun who operates under the alias Crucible, who has repeatedly attempted to murder her so as to erase the stain of crossbreeding that she represents. She has sometimes had the assistance of other members of the Saeduun in dealing with him, but at other times has been forced to avoid capture by Saeduun who wish to study her powers. She and her father have been threatened by Majestic-20 very frequently over the years.

Iron Angel -- PL 12

Abilities: STR 0 | STA 2 | AGL 2 | DEX 2 | FGT 6 | INT 3 | AWE 6 | PRE 3
Powers: Force Field (Sustained Impervious Protection 12), Iron Will (Impervious Will 10), Levitation (Flight 6), Psychic Senses (Senses 10 [danger sense, mental awareness (accurate, acute, analytical, hyper-extended 2)]), Psychic Powers (Selective Area Communication 3, Subtle; Array: Damaging Perception Range Move Object 12, AP: Selective Burst Area Mind-Reading 11, Subtle 2, AP: Perception Range Damage 12, Resisted by Will, AP: Illusion 12 [all senses], Resistable by Will, AP: Remote Sensing 12 [all senses], Medium [living mind]).
Advantages: Benefit (security clearance), Extraordinary Effort, Set-Up, Teamwork, Ultimate Effort (Will).
Skills: Deception 6 (+9), Expertise: Psychologist 6 (+9), Insight 8 (+14), Perception 6 (+12), Persuasion 6 (+9).
Offense: Initiative +2, Unarmed +6 (Close Damage 0), Mental Blast -- (Perception Range Damage 12, Resisted by Will)
Defense: Dodge 8, Parry 6, Fortitude 5, Toughness 14/2, Will 15.
Totals: Abilities 48 + Powers 126 + Advantages 5 + Skills 16 + Defenses 18 = 213 points
Complications: Responsibility--Motivation. Secret Identity.
Last edited by Davies on Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I like both Iron Angel(nice way of working in Paragons material) and the Vanguard Team....
Davies

Post by Davies »

Yojimbo wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:35 pm Hardcore is pretty cool. I like a superhero-ified Doc Savage type.
MacynSnow wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:13 am I like both Iron Angel(nice way of working in Paragons material) and the Vanguard Team....
All credit for the characters should go squarely to Aaron Sullivan. It's a damn shame that both the official attempts to update them to 3rd edition fizzled before they really got going.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Davies wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:22 am It's a damn shame that both the official attempts to update them to 3rd edition fizzled before they really got going.
Very true.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Davies

Post by Davies »

Doctor McQuark

Dr. Isaac Augustus Steele, younger brother of Hardcore, knew from a young age that he wanted to be a superhero. He designed his costume carefully, practiced the use of his powers, and kept up his studies. He listened with at best one ear to his father's warnings about the dangers of the profession, knowing that Doc Steele had told his older brother the same thing, and yet Jake was out there risking his semi-invulnerable neck. Eventually, Isaac was sure that his father would give in to his pleas as well.

Then the Terminus Invasion happened. The death toll, particularly among the superheroic population, was a reality that Isaac could not blithely ignore. Telling himself that it was just going to be for a while, until he perfected some protective devices that would ensure his safety, he shelved the planned superhero identity of 'Technomancer' and went to work in research and development for Steele Omnitech.

His father felt a bit conflicted about this. On the one hand, he didn't want to see both of his sons risking their necks, even for a good cause. On the other hand, he didn't want to see the younger of his sons abandoning his dreams like that, either! Trying to make the best of the situation, he frequently sent Isaac to act as a liaison between Steele Omnitech and the various superheroic and crimefighting agencies that it had business with, so that he'd still feel as though he was involved in 'the game'.

These missions often involved a great deal of diplomacy and negotiation, something that Isaac's technology-focused education hadn't really prepared him for. But he learned from his early mistakes and never repeated them, growing into a top flight liaison over a fairly short amount of time, developing skills that he might never have acquired. His father encouraged these new interests, seeing in them signs that Isaac might eventually be ready to take over running the company in a few decades.

However, Isaac kept finding himself torn between his ideas of what the company could do for the superheroes and what his father and the other officers of Steele Omnitech were willing to do. This came to a head in 2004, when the board passed up his proposal to offer their assistance in the construction of the Freedom League's space station in favor of refurbishing Hyperion Point, the company's own space station. Isaac finally came to the conclusion that if he wanted to make his visions a reality, he was going to have to do them as his own boss, rather than while working for his father.

So he resigned his position, and (officially) disappeared. A few weeks later, Doctor McQuark's Superhero Supply and Gymnasium opened its doors, and has been providing competitively priced assistance to superhero teams ever since. Their biggest success to date was the design of 'the Guardtower', headquarters for the United Nations' Vanguard team, with lesser triumphs including their contributions to the construction of Emerald Tower and Project Freedom's unnamed second headquarters.

As yet, the only person who knows that Doctor McQuark is really Isaac Steele is, of course, Doc Steele. Despite the fact that Isaac is in competition with him, he's quite pleased with his son's entrepreneurial spirit, and believes that Isaac will eventually bring his company back under the umbrella of Steele Omnitech. The possibility that things might go the other way has not yet occurred to him ...

Doctor McQuark -- PL 10

Abilities: STR 1 | STA 2 | AGL 1 | DEX 2 | FGT 5 | INT 10 | AWE 2 | PRE 2
Powers: Force Field Vest (Sustained Impervious Protection 8; Removable), Technopathy (Radio Communication 2, Limited to Machines; Comprehend Machines 2; Senses 9 [detect technology (accurate, analytical, extended 3, radius, sense)]; Array: Selective Burst Area Nullify Technology 10, Broad, Concentration, Simultaneous, AP: Perception Range Continuous Transform 10 [any technological device into any other technological device], Distracting, AP: Remote Sensing 20 [visual and auditory], Medium [technological sensors], Simultaneous).
Equipment: Doctor McQuark's Superhero Supply and Gymnasium (Size: Colossal, Toughness: 6, Features: Combat Simulator, Communications, Computer, Defense System, Fire Prevention System, Garage, Gym, Hangar, Infirmary, Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Personnel, Power System, Security System 4, Workshop), Smartphone, and 75 points of equipment as needed.
Advantages: Benefit 4 (Millionaire, Nethead [use Technology for Gather Information checks]), Eidetic Memory, Equipment 20, Inventor, Skill Mastery (Technology).
Skills: Expertise: Business 6 (+16), Expertise: Science 8 (+18), Insight 8 (+10), Persuasion 8 (+10), Technology 10 (+20).
Offense: Initiative +1, Unarmed +5 (Close Damage 1)
Defense: Dodge 7, Parry 7, Fortitude 4, Toughness 10/2, Will 8
Totals: Abilities 50 + Powers 96 + Advantages 27 + Skills 20 + Defense 16 = 209 points
Complications: Responsibility--Motivation. Secret Identity.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Here's one of my favorite Inventors(and a Personal Hero of my Mad Scientist PC Dr.Archimedes 'Archie' Imperious(Thunder&Lightning Crashes)).Kinda sad he never really followed his Dreams,as you can't really count the "Opening a Superhero business" as a Dream ...
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:55 pm Here's one of my favorite Inventors(and a Personal Hero of my Mad Scientist PC Dr.Archimedes 'Archie' Imperious(Thunder&Lightning Crashes)).Kinda sad he never really followed his Dreams,as you can't really count the "Opening a Superhero business" as a Dream ...
Ah, but was being a superhero his dream, or what his dream helping make the world a better place?
Because if it was that second one he's well on his way.

Finally somebody who has a worse name than Doctor Sane.
Everybody's a critic.