World of Freedom 3.2 - Whatever Comes To Mind

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
MacynSnow

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Splotch! Card Seeker Wakaba! The Sentinels (updated)!

Post by MacynSnow »

I'm not a big fan of Protonik like my brother is.Don't get me wrong,i think the look is unique and the 1e Origin was intresting but he just didn't 'Speak to me' like The Pugilist or Gimmick did.Nice way of getting him into Freedom City history though....
Davies

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Splotch! Card Seeker Wakaba! The Sentinels (updated)!

Post by Davies »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:14 pm I'm not a big fan of Protonik like my brother is.Don't get me wrong,i think the look is unique and the 1e Origin was intresting but he just didn't 'Speak to me' like The Pugilist or Gimmick did.Nice way of getting him into Freedom City history though....
Funny you should mention that.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Davies

Post by Davies »

Gimmick, the Gadget Girl

Born at the very tail end of 1979 and growing up in the 1980s, Trixie Meadows was a fairly typical American girl -- except for the fact that she could take anything electrical or mechanical apart and then put it back together in ways that made it function even better than before. There was no mutation here, no secret experiments by sinister consortiums -- Trixie was just really that smart. Unfortunately, this was a little before Daedelus decided to start offering apprenticeships to talented young inventors, and other scholarship opportunities went to candidates who weren't "just" freakish inventive geniuses.

So it came to pass that the first person to give nineteen year-old Trixie the opportunity to show the world what she could do was Wendy Wallace, aka 'the Other Woman', the auto-duplicating leader of the Clique. Trixie accepted her invitation to join the Clique under the alias 'Gimmick' -- chosen for its irony, as she'd been accused of just having a 'gimmick' in the past. She also brought with her a second member, an android from the future who went by the name Tangarine.

It took two years for Gimmick to realize that the Clique had changed from a group of friends having good times together into a fairly ruthless criminal organization. (Either that or it had always been that way.) She attempted to act as a voice of sanity in the group, but found herself ignored, especially when Deirdre Pawlowski, aka the Crush, took charge. The breaking point was when she was told to purge Boy Toy's software of the signs of consciousness it was showing. She refused to do so, Tangarine supported her, and what with one thing and another the Clique's headquarters was in rubble when she and her friend fled the scene, reluctantly splitting up after a certain point.

That began the second major chapter in Gimmick's life, her long, lonely quest to prove that she was really one of the good guys. Whenever she found the opportunity to do some good in the world, something -- the authorities, the Clique, some other group of malefactors -- would show up to ruin it, and she'd have to go back on the run again. Reports of her good deeds did begin to circulate in chatter among superheroes, but even there she kept having the worst luck. They'd show up to investigate her at the worst times, when she was doing something that looked suspicious, with the inevitable outcome of a fight breaking out to ruin everything. She also suffered a serious betrayal when she took another young genius, Shayla Bingham, under her wing, only for her to end up joining the Clique as 'Wallflower'.

Things started to get a little better in 2007, when Overpower -- who recognized a fellow "misunderstood" super when she saw one -- recruited her for the Freedom League's Covert Action Taskforce. Happy for the opportunity to use her talents to help take down some of the established evils of the world, Gimmick kept trying to make the Taskforce into a group of friends, like she'd always seen the Clique as being. This worked well in some cases, as when she befriended Trouble and Pseudo, but she suffered through her efforts being rebuffed by other members who preferred to treat it as a job, like the Gauntlet.

While she's still viewed as an outlaw in many parts of the country -- and wisely avoids Portland, the Clique's home base -- Gimmick has reached the point where she's more or less accepted as a superhero. Ironically, this limits her uses for the Taskforce, forcing her to operate as the team's mission control and armorer rather than joining her friends in the thick of things. However, she's more or less content with the way that things are ... though as she approaches her fortieth birthday, she's starting to take stock of her life and wonder how much she's really accomplished in the time she's been given.

She and Tangarine are still close, though they don't get to face-to-face very often with the android currently operating under the name G.I. Droid as a member of the Arsenal. They connect a lot through the net. Yes, like that, not that it's any of your business. Also, despite knowing better, she keeps visiting members of the Clique whenever they end up in jail, hoping to talk them out of the dead-end course that their lives have put them on. So far, she hasn't gotten anywhere, which makes her very unhappy.

Gimmick, the Gadget Girl -- PL 10

Abilities: STR 0 | STA 0 | AGL 2 | DEX 2 | FGT 5 | INT 8 | AWE 4 | PRE 1
Powers: Gimmick Purse (Variable 6 [gadgets]; Removable), Kevlex Armored Suit (Immunity 5 [fire damage]; Protection 5; Removable), Multi-blaster (Array: Ranged Damage 8, Accurate, AP: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 8 [Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; Impaired, Disabled, Unaware], Limited to Vision, Accurate, AP: Ranged Affliction 8 [Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Damage; Hindered & Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobile], Extra Condition, Limited Degree, Accurate; Easily Removable).
Equipment: Grav-Bike (see Emerald City Player's Guide, p. 69), Smart Phone, and 7 points of equipment as needed.
Advantages: Defensive Roll 2, Eidetic Memory, Equipment 8, Evasion, Luck, Power Attack, Skill Mastery: Technology.
Skills: Deception 6 (+7), Expertise: Science 12 (+20), Insight 4 (+8), Perception 6 (+10), Ranged Combat: Multi-blaster 8 (+10), Technology 12 (+20).
Offense: Initiative +2, Unarmed +5 (Close Damage 0), Blast Mode +12 (Ranged Damage 8), Flare Mode +12 (Ranged Affliction 8, Resisted by Dodge), Snare Mode +12 (Ranged Affliction 8, Resisted by Dodge).
Defense: Dodge 12, Parry 8, Fortitude 5, Toughness 8/5/0, Will 8.
Totals: Abilities 44 + Powers 53 + Advantages 16 + Skills 24 + Defenses 22 = 158 points
Complications: Acceptance--Motivation. Secret (membership in the Freedom League's covert team). Attention Decifit SHINY!

Why Gimmick has Deception:
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

That's a nice Gimmick, Davies. I like the updates to the Sentinels, too. Especially The Rook.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

There's m'girl! It's always nice to see Gimmick toolin' around the Multiverse.I had one of my Teen PC's(i actually think it was Keno my Martial Artist) start up a Relationship with her.He kept running into The Clique a lot though....
Davies

Post by Davies »

Thank you both!

Next Up: One more Meta4 inspired character, as we check in on the Atomic Brain.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Honestly, it's also kind of nice to have her age up a bit with time. Or is she aging slowly such that she doesn't look near her 40 years?
Davies

Post by Davies »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:19 pm Honestly, it's also kind of nice to have her age up a bit with time. Or is she aging slowly such that she doesn't look near her 40 years?
She has the same good genes as Pauley Perrette -- do you think she looks nearly fifty in her most recent appearances?

Anyway, what with one thing and another the Atomic Brain is probably going to be delayed until tomorrow, so instead have some

Insults That The Rook Could Have Used But Didn't

"I quit! I quit your stupid team! Now let me at that refugee from the Rocky Horror Picture Show!"

"I quit! I quit your stupid team! Now let me at that Ron Ely wannabe!"

"I quit! I quit your stupid team! Now let me at mister 'I did it thirty-five minutes ago'!"

"I quit! I quit your stupid team! Now let me at Dudley Do-right-to-all-and-wrong-no-man!"

"I quit! I quit your stupid team! Now let me at Fabio!"

... okay that last one is a little too mean even for that situation.
Davies

Post by Davies »

The Atomic Brain

File photo, dated c. 1996:

Photo, dated 2012

"In the early 1940s, as the Nazi menace marched across Europe and into the Soviet Union, America and her allies engaged in furious research into the possibility of harnessing atomic energy as a weapon. One scientist involved in the project, a radical but undeniably brilliant atomic theorist named Harold Hamilton, commanded such respect among his colleagues that he was given his own cadre of experts to explore radical ideas not wholly accepted by the scientific community at large. No one was surprised when Hamilton immolated himself in an early field test, but nearly everyone was astonished to discover that the unconventional professor survived the blast, after a fashion.

"Realizing they were out of their league, the scientists turned over Hamilton's glowing, obviously alive brain to the secret government body then tasked with investigating paranormal and superhuman activity. Their scientists rigged a machine to read the thoughts of the brain, which happily instructed America's scientists on how to build the atomic weapons that would bring the Japanese to their knees."

That ... is a somewhat overly dramatic and inaccurate version of events.

Harold Hamilton was a brilliant but highly erratic theorist attached to the Manhattan Project. He was not, however, so highly respected that he was allowed to work independently; he was operating outside of the Project's supervision without permission when he accidentally subjected himself to a dose of radiation greater than any human being had endured before. It enhanced his already prodigious intellect ... and it began to rot away at his body. Within a year, there was nothing left of him but his still-living, pulsing brain, which his colleagues did turn over to the FBI's Special Projects department.

His claims that without his insights, the scientists of the Project would never have been able to build their first fission weapons, are delusions of grandeur and paranoia. While it is true that a mind-reading mechanism was designed to communicate with the brain by Drs. Alexander Atom and Ulysses Steele, it was used for a grand total of four hours in 1943 before the two scientists shut it off, disturbed by the visions of atomic devastation that seemed to be Hamilton's only thoughts. It would not be used again until 1947, long after the first bombs fell. (What only a few have wondered is whether or not his insights might have influenced the creation of the hydrogen bomb.) But he is convinced that he was robbed of credit for his discoveries, and since 1954, when the first of his many robot bodies was developed, it has been a singularly unwise move to challenge his version of events to his ... well, he doesn't have a face ...

Over the next fifty years, the Atomic Brain fought many of Earth's mightiest costumed champions, beginning with the original Johnny Rocket and the Centurion, later against numerous agents of AEGIS under the command of one Gavin Pierce, and ultimately squaring off against Protonik in his most advanced robotic body yet, in 2002. Fortunately for the world, that was also his last robotic body. In the wake of its destruction and defeat, the Atomic Brain discovered that the Foundry, which had manufactured his bodies based on his designs since 1964, was no longer interested in his custom. Put simply, he had acquired an annoying tendency to get behind in his payments, and Talos had run out of patience. (Not enough to destroy the Atomic Brain, but enough to refuse to deal with him anymore.)

The Atomic Brain found a refuge of sorts within SHADOW's hierarchy, eventually returning to the seat in the Penumbra he'd abandoned years before. With the organization's resources, he was able to build a new body -- little more than a glorified jar, but better than nothing. Like any member of the Penumbra worthy of the role, he busily plotted to overthrow Overshadow and seize command of the organization for himself, and like the vast majority of the members of the Penumbra, these schemes seemed to come to nothing. Except that it soon seemed that they were diversions, for in November 2012 the Brain seized control of what remained of Overthrow's American branch and began an operation intended to fulfill the alleged prophecy of Earth's destruction in December of that year. Virtually every superhero in the world joined forces to oppose him ... and despite this, he succeeded in his goals, destroying the Earth and all life upon it.

Thirty seconds later, history rewound, leaving the Earth intact. The Atomic Brain, bewildered, turned to see Gimmick the Gadget Girl holding aloft a device of her own manufacture. "The world can be destroyed as many times as you want, but it can be restored just as easily," she told him. "And there are devices like this hidden all over the world, so don't think destroying me will get you anywhere." Confronted by science that clearly eclipsed his own, the Atomic Brain let out a shriek of mixed indignation and pure fury, then fell still. And Gimmick, who had no clear idea how her single-use rewind button, the only one in existence as far as she knew, had continued to function, let out a long sigh of relief that the biggest bluff of her career had paid off.

The Brain has remained non-responsive, since then. Even mechanical mind-reading reveals a void where his thought processes should be. For most of that time, he has been kept in suspended animation in AEGIS' Icebox facility in Alaska, though he's scheduled to be transferred to Denver next month for a new attempt at psychic interrogation using a more recently developed thought box ...

The Atomic Brain -- PL 14

Abilities: STR -- | STA 0 | AGL 2 | DEX 4 | FGT 0 | INT 11 | AWE 2 | PRE 3
Powers: Armored Support Tank (Comprehend Languages 2 [speak and understand any language]; Enhanced Strength 5, Limited to lifting; Immunity 1 [aging]; Impervious Protection 13; Removable), Levitating Brain (Flight 7; Impervious Will 11; Immunity 25 [life support, radiation effects, sensory Affliction effects]; Senses 3 [radius vision, vision counters darkness]), Master of Radiation (Array: Ranged Damage 18, Incurable, AP: Burst Area Ranged Damage 12, Incurable, AP: Ranged Weaken Stamina 12, Incurable),
Advantages: Connected, Eidetic Memory, Inventor, Ranged Attack 6.
Skills: Expertise: Physical Sciences 13 (+24), Insight 8 (+10), Intimidation 13 (+16), Perception 8 (+10), Persuasion 4 (+7), Technology 10 (+21).
Offense: Initiative +2, Radiation Blast +10 (Ranged Damage 18), Irradiated Burst -- (Ranged Burst Area Damage 12), Life Drain +10 (Ranged Fortitude 12).
Defense: Dodge 9, Parry 9, Fortitude 14, Toughness 13/0, Will 13.
Totals: Abilities 26 + Powers 122 + Advantages 9 + Skills 28 + Defenses 41 = 226 points
Complications: Destruction--Motivation. Paranoia. Disembodied Brain (no manipulators, cannot speak without tank's speakers).
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Davies wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:12 pm For most of that time, he has been kept in suspended animation in AEGIS' Icebox facility in Alaska, though he's scheduled to be transferred to Denver next month for a new attempt at psychic interrogation using a more recently developed thought box ...
::Swats AEGIS with a rolled up newspaper:: No! Bad AEGIS! Do not keep giving the psychotic destruction obsessed super villain chances to escape! Bad AEGIS!
Davies

Post by Davies »

Arkrite wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:06 am ::Swats AEGIS with a rolled up newspaper:: No! Bad AEGIS! Do not keep giving the psychotic destruction obsessed super villain chances to escape! Bad AEGIS!
Yeah, it is sort of bewildering, isn't it? It's almost as though someone in AEGIS' Denver office is being controlled, as though by, oh, maybe, a vampire, to set up just that scenario. But such is surely just the mutterings of a paranoid.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

What facinates me is the fact that he seems to have had a Nervous Breakdown over Gimmick's pure BS.Wonder why?It's not like he hadn't been beat before.....
Davies

Post by Davies »

MacynSnow wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:39 am What facinates me is the fact that he seems to have had a Nervous Breakdown over Gimmick's pure BS.Wonder why?It's not like he hadn't been beat before.....
His whole belief structure is that he was the greatest scientific mind of all time, and that he would prove it by destroying the world. He succeeded -- and then, apparently, a greater scientific mind undestroyed the world.
Davies

Post by Davies »

I'm afraid I need to take another day off. Tomorrow, I'm going to post the first of some conversions from The Algernon Files.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:10 pm I'm afraid I need to take another day off. Tomorrow, I'm going to post the first of some conversions from The Algernon Files.
Alright, been wondering what they were up to given how prominent they were in your previous version.