World of Freedom 3.2 - Whatever Comes To Mind

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Davies

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Horus! Hercules! The Ultima! Sentinels of Emeraldias! Hero High Revised!

Post by Davies »

Lee Go Han
Codename: Asura

Lee Go Han led a rather boring existence until one day recruiters from the Army broke into his apartment and informed him that, as a frequent winner in video game tournaments of the appropriate age of nineteen, he was being given the opportunity to serve his country as a mecha pilot. Since then he has done so, occasionally making second place in the unit's eternal competition but more frequently achieving third, and being gently mocked for this by the two girls on the team.

He would perhaps be bothered by that, except for two tiny details that have troubled him about this experience ever since it started. For one thing, he had never played video games all that seriously, and never participated, much less won, any tournaments. For another thing, he's fairly sure he was coming up on his twenty-first birthday. Both of these facts, which he has chosen not to publicize, have lead him to the conclusion that something strange is going on, as has the fact that despite having no experience in playing video games, he has managed to do well enough with the allegedly video-game based systems of his mekasuit to almost keep up with a pair of fanatical gamers like Song and Rain.

In the process of trying to figure out what is going on with his life, Lee has gotten rather good at telling lies and almost but not quite as good at guessing when he's being lied to. He is thus much more concerned about the fervent denials that piloting these things is bad for his mental health, as he is quite concerned for his mental health, and also his physical health. However, as he's also fairly sure that refusing to pilot would be very bad for his physical health, he's sticking to the program. For now.

And since you're bound to ask, he thinks Song and Rain are both very attractive, but thinks that Song is too young for him and that Rain is a lesbian. Such misfortune.

Codename: Asura -- PL 8

Abilities: STR 0 | STA 0 | AGL 2 | DEX 2 | FGT 2 | INT 2 | AWE 1 | PRE 1
Powers: Bracer of Power (Radio Communication 3; Summon Heroic Controlled Mekasuit 6, Limited Uses [5/day], Delay, Removable).
Advantages: Benefit 2 (Military Rank 2), Close Attack, Equipment 3, Jack of all Trades, Ranged Attack 2.
Skills: Athletics 4 (+4), Close Combat: Mecha 3 (+5), Deception 10 (+11), Insight 8 (+9), Perception 5 (+6), Ranged Combat: Guns 4 (+6), Technology 2 (+4), Vehicles 4 (+6).
Offense: Initiative +2, Unarmed +3 (Close Damage 0), Blaster Pistol +8 (Ranged Damage 5).
Defense: Dodge 4, Parry 4, Fortitude 3, Toughness 0, Will 7.
Totals: Abilities 20 + Powers 19 + Advantages 10 + Skills 20 + Defenses 13 = 82 points
Complications: Survival--Motivation. In Over His Head. Lecherous Cur.

Mekasuit -- PL 8

Abilities: STR 8 | STA — | AGL 0 | DEX 2 | FGT 4 | INT — | AWE 0 | PRE
Powers: Armor (Protection 6, Impervious Toughness 8), Construct (Immunity 30 [Fortitude effects]), Booster Rockets (Leaping 8), Large (Growth 4, Permanent, Innate), Weaponry (Ranged Multiattack Damage 8, AE: Burst Area Ranged Damage 8), Sensor Suite (Senses 6 [accurate radio [radar], extended hearing, extended vision, infravision).
Pilot Traits: Close Combat: Mecha 3 (+7), Ranged Combat: Guns 4 (+6), Vehicles 4 (+6), Fortitude 3, Will 7
Offense: Initiative +4, Pulse Rifle +8 (Ranged Multiattack Damage 8), Rocket Pods -- (Ranged Burst Area Damage 8), Unarmed +8 (Close Damage 8).
Defense: Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude Immune, Toughness 10, Will Immune
Totals: Abilities –10 + Powers 92 + Advantages 0 + Skills 0 + Defenses 8 = 90 points
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Davies

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Horus! Hercules! The Ultima! Sentinels of Emeraldias! Hero High Revised!

Post by Davies »

Rain Mi Na
Codename: Valkyrie

Mi Na -- known as Rain to all who know her -- is the comfortable second place performer of the unit. She demonstrates neither Song's cool competence nor Lee's bursts of genius, but she performs generally well all the same. She appears to be a more typical teenager than Song, having interests outside of gaming and piloting the mekasuits, but does prefer gaming to anything else. The fact that the walls of her dorm room are plastered with posters of girl groups, and the additional fact that she will generally always choose to spend time with Song rather than Lee, have given Lee a certain theory about her which is actually untrue.

However, that is the least of his mistakes when it comes to her. Rain's entire persona is somewhere between a mask that she's developed and a mask that she's slowly becoming. She really is fascinated by video gaming, girl groups, junk food and manhua. These were all things that she didn't have access to in the small fishing village where she was born, and where she was trained from infancy in martial arts. The village was one of the last remaining centers of training for the arts of the sulsa, and its chief export, after fish, was assassins who would go to work for the government in Seoul.

Some bright person in said government came up with the idea of using the flashy, public operations of the mekasuit corps as the ideal way to cover up the activities of one such assassin. Often, the exercises that the unit go through are distractions so that Rain can extricate herself from her suit and go forth to end some poor foolish person whom the state wants ended. She sometimes employs strangling wire on these operations, but prefers to use her bare hands as they are weapons no one can take from her.

Rain is more or less sanguine about her lot in life. Everyone has their role to play in the functioning of society, and her role is to kill people -- that's the biz, sweetheart! However, she has become somewhat corrupted by the luxuries she has access to as a member of the mekasuit unit, and definitely wants to stay where she is rather than move on to another assignment. She's also surprisingly fond of both of her teammates, even if they are rather silly people with no understanding. So far, this has caused no problems, but it may in the future, especially if that business between Lee and one of the heads of the mekasuit program, who recruited him into it despite his apparent lack of talent, comes to a head in the future.

Codename: Valkyrie -- PL 8

Abilities: STR 2 | STA 2 | AGL 4 | DEX 4 | FGT 6 | INT 1 | AWE 3 | PRE 3
Powers: Bracer of Power (Radio Communication 3; Summon Heroic Controlled Mekasuit 6, Limited Uses [5/day], Delay, Removable), Trained Strength (Strength-based Damage 1).
Advantages: Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Assessment, Benefit 2 (Military Rank 2), Chokehold, Defensive Roll, Equipment 3, Evasion, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical 2 (unarmed), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Takedown 2, Tracking.
Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+12), Athletics 8 (+10), Close Combat: Mecha 4 (+10), Close Combat: Unarmed 7 (+13), Expertise: Gamer 6 (+7), Insight 8 (+11), Perception 8 (+11), Ranged Combat: Guns 4 (+8), Stealth 7 (+11), Vehicles 8 (+12).
Offense: Initiative +8, Unarmed +13 (Close Damage 3, Crit 18-20), Blaster Pistol +8 (Close Damage 5).
Defense: Dodge 10, Parry 12, Fortitude 7, Toughness 4/2, Will 9.
Totals: Abilities 50 + Powers 20 + Advantages 20 + Skills 34 + Defenses 23 = 147 points
Complications: Loyalty--Motivation. Loves Worldly Pleasures. Friendship (teammates)

Mekasuit -- PL 8

Abilities: STR 8 | STA — | AGL 0 | DEX 2 | FGT 4 | INT — | AWE 0 | PRE
Powers: Armor (Protection 6, Impervious Toughness 8), Construct (Immunity 30 [Fortitude effects]), Booster Rockets (Leaping 8), Large (Growth 4, Permanent, Innate), Weaponry (Ranged Multiattack Damage 8, AE: Burst Area Ranged Damage 8), Sensor Suite (Senses 6 [accurate radio [radar], extended hearing, extended vision, infravision).
Pilot Traits: Close Combat: Mecha 4 (+8), Ranged Combat: Guns 4 (+6), Vehicles 8 (+10), Fortitude 7, Will 9
Offense: Initiative +4, Pulse Rifle +8 (Ranged Multiattack Damage 8), Rocket Pods -- (Ranged Burst Area Damage 8), Unarmed +8 (Close Damage 8).
Defense: Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude Immune, Toughness 10, Will Immune
Totals: Abilities –10 + Powers 92 + Advantages 0 + Skills 0 + Defenses 8 = 90 points
Last edited by Davies on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shock

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Hero High Revised! Blasphemy Beyond Imagination! South Korea's Mekaforce!

Post by Shock »

I really like this group. Very different from a typical team. Feels fresh
Davies

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Hero High Revised! Blasphemy Beyond Imagination! South Korea's Mekaforce!

Post by Davies »

Shock wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:58 pm I really like this group. Very different from a typical team. Feels fresh
Thanks! I was aiming for a combination of the Evangelion trio with the sort of "weird stuff just happens" feel that I've found in the manhua I've read.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:34 pm
Shock wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:58 pm I really like this group. Very different from a typical team. Feels fresh
Thanks! I was aiming for a combination of the Evangelion trio with the sort of "weird stuff just happens" feel that I've found in the manhua I've read.
Ah yes, the Hank Venture philosophy. Nothing jars 'em, anything you can throw at them, they can just put it in their world view, which sounds insane, but I promise you it's incredibly sane. Basically, just roll with being in a super setting, where as everyone else angsts about their insane lives.

The former actually being surprisingly common in the World of Freedom.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Yay! The Destroyer! So, are Remo and Chiun still active?
Davies

Post by Davies »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:37 am Yay! The Destroyer! So, are Remo and Chiun still active?
I have no idea what you're talking about.

(Kidding. This village of Sinanjiu is not quite the same as the village in the Destroyer novels, but one of the masters in the early 70s did go to work for the US government and did the unusual work of training an American-born Korean agent in the arts. Both master and apprentice returned to the village under circumstances much like those in The Eleventh Hour. I suspect that the old master has probably passed on by now, but the young master and his horribly ugly bride have had many children together, some of whom might use names that don't make sense in Korean. Anyway, think of it as if Marvel had, instead of ripping off the Executioner, ripped off the Destroyer. And eventually licensed the Executioner instead of licensing the Destroyer. Or something.)
Davies

Post by Davies »

Asenath Amari

Since mid 2014, the commanding officer of Canada's corps of Ladybird Powered Armor pilots, and thus one of the primary 'superhuman' protectors of Canada, has been Captain Asenath Amari, a ten year veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces and daughter of a decorated veteran of Canada's participation in the first Gulf War. Of mixed Egyptian and First Nations ancestry, she is uncomfortably aware that she was chosen for her role as team captain less because of any particular talent that she demonstrated during her career as a pilot than because of the glamorous appearance she could give as a "face" of the squad. However, refusing the promotion would have been career suicide.

In light of this, she accepts the occasional "glamor shot" of her in her powered armor. Under no other circumstances would she ever operate it without her helmet on -- the potential hearing damage alone would prevent her from doing so. The situation does have its upside, as the brass have been unable to prevent her from getting some decidedly non-regulation inkwork done on her face as it was judged by public affairs to add to her image. That they are unaware that it marks her as an ally of the Sons of Horus is gravy.

Based out of CFB Edmonton, Captain Amari is frequently able to visit with her father, a local attorney. She has a somewhat more distant relationship with her mother, who disapproved of her becoming a soldier, and who currently acts as a bodyguard for a group of adventuring archaeologists active in central Asia. Captain Amari is a serial monogamist who seldom goes long between partners, but is currently single. Whoever dates her should be aware that she is first and foremost married to her armor.

Asenath Amari -- PL 10

Abilities: STR 10/3 | STA 1 | AGL 1 | DEX 1 | FGT 5 | INT 3 | AWE 3 | PRE 2
Powers: Ladybird Powered Armor (Communication 2 (radio); Feature (Color Change); Array: Enhanced Strength 7, AP: Flight 7; Immunity 10 [life support); Protection 9, Impervious 7; Senses 5 [accurate radio, low-light vision, ultrasonic hearing]; Removable)
Equipment: Rocket Launcher (Ranged Burst Area Damage 8)
Advantages: Benefit 3 (Military Rank), Equipment 5, Improved Initiative, Leadership.
Skills: Athletics 4 (+7), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+9), Expertise: Soldier 5 (+8), Intimidation 4 (+7), Perception 3 (+6), Ranged Combat: Guns 8 (+9).
Offense: Initiative +5, Unarmed +9 (Close Damage 10), Rocket Launcher -- (Ranged Burst Area Damage 8).
Defense: Dodge 9, Parry 9, Fortitude 6, Toughness 10/1, Will 6.
Totals: Abilities 38 + Powers 44 + Advantages 10 + Skills 14 + Defenses 23 = 129 points
Complications: Duty--Motivation. Family (father). Responsibility (Sons of Horus).
Davies

Post by Davies »

Back in the saddle, just in time to find out that SmugMug has gone down.

Well, regardless, it occurred to me that the roll call of Project Freedom's honored dead left out a rather significant figure.

Harriet Wainwright

There are many unanswered questions about the life of Harriet Wainwright (nee Adams), born in 1954 to an MP serving at Ramstein Air Base and his German bride. Her higher education, which included an MA in Political Science, is a matter of record, as is her marriage to Carl Wainwright in 1979. However, the reasons that she left her post as a White House intern, starting in 1981, for a job as a parole officer in Freedom City in 1985, are somewhat opaque. It may or may not have had something to do with the birth of her only child, Carolyn Wainwright, in 1983.

During the early years of her work at the Department of Probation, Harriet Wainwright was peripherally associated with the activities of Project: Cerberus, an initiative by Freedom City's government to offer favorable parole terms to supervillains willing to perform covert operations at the city's behest. From various remarks she made in later years, it seems clear that she was better informed about the activities of this illegal program than she should have been as someone who simply flagged files for potential recruitment. She apparently regarded the operation as a corrupt blight on the department, but was unable to deny the success rate of the operatives.

At the same time, her husband was pursuing his own career as a police officer, and became involved in a murder investigation that turned into an obvious frame up. He received a promotion to detective in exchange for his silence in the matter, but kept a file on what he believed had actually happened on the night Rachel Baldwin was arrested, intending to revisit the matter at a time when it was safer to do so. Unfortunately, he was killed during the Terminus Invasion, preventing the deaths of his wife and a number of other city employees, before he could do so.

Her husband's death gave Wainwright a purpose in life -- she was now obsessed with avenging his death by bringing about the arrest (and eventual execution) of Omega. While exploring Terminus invasion affected properties on the south side of Freedom City, she discovered an undocumented portal to the Terminus. While she was deliberating whether to report this discovery to the proper authorities or use it for her own purposes, Tomen the Archivist passed through the portal and had a brief conversation with her, the substance of which is now known only to Tomen. It resulted in Wainwright being given a glimpse of one page of the Sourcebook, greatly augmenting her intelligence at the cost of robbing her of the ability to feel fear.

With her augmented mentality, it was a trivial task to rise to the position of head of the department of probations in roughly a decade. She also developed a number of unique contacts and connections during this time. In 2005, she began advocating for the creation of an initiative that she dubbed Project Freedom, where criminal superhumans would be given the opportunity to perform super-powered community service in exchange for parole. It took a number of years for this program to be approved, and she had to step down from her job as head of the department in order to personally supervise it. As this was entirely as she planned, this was no trouble at all.

The full story of Project Freedom's activities is too lengthy to go into here. Events somewhat beyond her control forced Wainwright into leading her team into the Terminus before they were truly ready for the conflict. To her credit, on actually confronting Omega, Wainwright realized exactly how far astray her obsession had led her, and apparently sacrificed her own life in order to buy Zalman the time to create the team's escape route. Her armored suit was blasted into particles by Omega.

... however, when Tomen the Archivist attended her funeral, speaking briefly with Rachel Baldwin, he indicated that the page of the Sourcebook which her mind contained had not returned to the book itself at the time of her death. So it may be that she somehow managed to escape that fate. There are always possibilities ...

Harriet Wainwright -- PL 7

Abilities: STR 0 | STA 1 | AGL 0 | DEX 2 | FGT 5 | INT 6/3 | AWE 4 | PRE 3.
Powers: A Page From The Sourcebook (Enhanced Advantages 4 [Eidetic Memory, Fearless, Speed of Thought, Well-Informed]; Enhanced Intellect 3)
Advantages: Connected, Contacts, Defensive Roll 2, Eidetic Memory, Equipment 10, Evasion, Fearless, Luck 3 (Fortune), Ranged Attack 7, Speed of Thought, Ultimate Effort 3 (Deception, Insight, Persuasion), Well-Informed.
Equipment: Blaster (Ranged Damage 5) and 40 other points of equipment as needed.
Skills: Deception 9 (+12), Expertise: Law 8 (+14), Expertise: Politics 8 (+14), Expertise: Streewise 6 (+12), Intimidation 9 (+12), Insight 11 (+15), Investigation 9 (+12), Perception 8 (+12), Persuasion 11 (+14), Stealth 8 (+8), Technology 4 (+10), Vehicles 5 (+7).
Offense: Initiative +6, Unarmed +5 (Close Damage 0), Blaster +9 (Ranged Damage 5).
Defense: Dodge 7, Parry 7, Fortitude 3, Toughness 4/1, Will 11.
Totals: Abilities 36 + Powers 10 + Advantages 28 + Skills 48 + Defense 18 = 140 points.
Complications: Justice--Motivation. Responsibility (Project Freedom). Power Loss (anything that affects her memory also disrupts her powers).
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

OK I'll bite, what's the Sourcebook and is it as meta as I think it is?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:03 pm OK I'll bite, what's the Sourcebook and is it as meta as I think it is?
From Worlds of Freedom, pp. 124-5
... one of the three receptacles of the moment of Creation (the other two being the depths of Unus’s mind and the body of the Throne). ... There are only a handful of things Omega wishes to do more than hurl the SourceBook into the maw of the Void. However, because it contains Creation, Entropy’s antithesis, neither Omega nor the Annihilists may physically touch it. ... The powers of the SourceBook are left intentionally vague. It is known to be able to resist Omega’s power, and it preserves Tomen’s mind against the effects of time. It contains vast knowledge, perhaps the answer to any question in creation. Any powers the Gamemaster gives it should reflect purity and wisdom; it’s not a weapon, except in the ways wisdom can teach people to fight a necessary battle, and fight it well.
One of the many things that it can do is depicted in the Secret of the Starbreed adventure outline in Threat Report.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

One more question, is it hardcover or softcover? ;)
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:35 pm One more question, is it hardcover or softcover? ;)
Hardcover, with the covers made of a substance with properties similar to neutronium. It has no dust jacket.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Davies wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:46 pm Asenath Amari

Since mid 2014, the commanding officer of Canada's corps of Ladybird Powered Armor pilots, and thus one of the primary 'superhuman' protectors of Canada, has been Captain Asenath Amari, a ten year veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces and daughter of a decorated veteran of Canada's participation in the first Gulf War.
Heh. Canadian Armed Forces. That's some good fantasy stuff right there, Davies. ;)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Davies

Post by Davies »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:53 am
Davies wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:46 pm Since mid 2014, the commanding officer of Canada's corps of Ladybird Powered Armor pilots, and thus one of the primary 'superhuman' protectors of Canada, has been Captain Asenath Amari, a ten year veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces and daughter of a decorated veteran of Canada's participation in the first Gulf War.
Heh. Canadian Armed Forces. That's some good fantasy stuff right there, Davies. ;)
... I'm just going to nod politely.