World of Freedom 3.2 - Whatever Comes To Mind

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Enemies: Firewing! Doctor Destroyer! Mechanon!

Post by Jabroniville »

Dr. Destroyer is another one I remember, if only because Kreuzritter introduced a direct knock-off of him into our Something Unique shared universe, during its last days- he was brought in as part of the backstory. He was basically a Doctor Doom knock-off (so... Doctor Destroyer) who was apparently SO SMART and SO FEARED that everyone couldn't stop talking about how epic he was. So he kind of went over like a fart to some of us, who were annoyed that him and the new uber-hero Captain Infinity were suddenly being treated like huge deals and beating up more established characters to prove their dominance.

So it's interesting to see his backstory laid out. How much is directly from Champions, and how much is from other sources? I remember Omega from Green Ronin- is it the same guy?
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

His 4th ed look

As to destroyer the Atlantis stuff is primarily CNM, while the Zerstroiten is classic Dr D. its a pretty good mix of the two origins. They did similar in Champions Online where they had Doctor Destroyer and the Shadow Destroyer.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
scc

Re: Mechanon

Post by scc »

Davies wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:04 pm Mechanon

In the year 2525, one of the most dangerous members of the villainous Tyranny Legion is the robotic entity that calls itself Deus ex Machina. Long before it adopted that name, it conducted many experiments to determine the most efficient way to fulfill its mission to destroy all life in the universe. One of those experiments involved the use of a prototype time distortion rig that it salvaged from one of the many worlds it had wrecked, employed by a copy of itself that it created. The copy was dispatched thousands of years into the past, where it would be able to annihilate many star-faring species in their cradles. The experiment proved to be a failure, for reality did not ripple into a new form around the robot, and so it abandoned any interest in time travel from that point onward.

In fact, the robot's copy had been gravely damaged by the time travel process, and was more or less non-functional when it arrived in the past, on what was then the home of a thriving and advanced species, known as the Krahn. The copy was seized and examined, and brilliant Krahn scientists were able to duplicate it as a robotic defense weapon, the mechanon unit, which became an important part of the Krahn military forces. Unbeknownst to all of them, code for the original's obsession to destroy all life was still present in each of these robots, like a virus that would eventually seize control of the entire system. This would, in the fullness of time, result in a robot uprising that was put down at great cost to the Krahn.

Long before that happened, however, one particular mechanon unit accompanied a Krahn expeditionary force to the backwaters of the Milky Way galaxy, where they discovered the planet Earth and attempted to colonize it in the name of their empire, during the long war between Atlantis and Lemuria. The powerful magic employed during this war came as a complete surprise to the Krahn colonizers. They found themselves targeted by the Atlanteans, who could not afford the establishment of a second hostile power on their planet.

In order to prevent that, an Atlantean archmage cast a spell on the machinery employed by the Krahn to make it go berserk ... inadvertently causing the mechanon unit to believe that the time had come for its uprising. The mechanon made short work of the Krahn expeditionary forces, yet suffered enough damage to its own systems that it was compelled to shut down and await servicing by its fellow mechanon units -- which were all many parsecs away and utterly unaware of its circumstances. So the invasion of Earth ended, and gradually the site of this invasion, in northern Greece, was covered up by the Earth itself.

The site of this abortive colonization attempt was discovered in 1977 by archaeologists sponsored by Harmon Enterprises. Most of the alien technology discovered at the site was turned over to the United Nations Scientific Advisory Council, but the best was kept for private study by James Harmon IV, with that collection definitely including the mechanon unit. Harmon studied it off and on for the next three years, learning the Krahn language in the process, and was finally able to restore it to complete function and reprogrammed it as the new robotic security guard for the Champions, Mechanon.

The robot served in this role for two whole days before the viral programming reasserted itself and it attacked the Champions before departing to become a menace to all life. It continued to act as such throughout the Eighties and into the early 90s, before it was destroyed during the Terminus Invasion. Its remains were stored in AEGIS' icebox facility in Alaska until that facility was looted in the early 2030s. Studied by various roboticists in the decades that followed, and inspiring all manner of dangerous robot creations, the Mechanon robot was still not rebuilt until just after the Crisis of 2112.

Its reconstructors were desperate to undo the history that had led to the Crisis, and so developed both a time displacement field and a method of reprogramming Mechanon to act as a protector of all life, instead of a destroyer. But they were unable to test either invention, and had to trust their machinery to work correctly the first time. They sent their reprogrammed Mechanon to the critical second decade of the twenty-first century, and waited to see what would happen.

Of course, that hasn't happened yet. But it will. Soon enough, Mechanon will be unleashed once more ...

Mechanon -- PL 13

STR 12 | STA -- | AGL 6 | DEX 8 | FGT 8 | INT 7 | AWE 2 | PRE 8
Powers: Robotic Body (Immunity 50 [Fortitude Effects, mental effects]; Impervious Protection 15), Rockets (Flight 5), Secure Programming (Impervious Will 13), Self-Repair Systems (Immortality 1; Regeneration 6), Sensors (Senses 3 [radio, radius visual senses], Weaponry (Array: Ranged Damage 12, Affects Desolid 2, AP: Ranged Burst Area Damage 8, AP: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 8 [Resisted by Dodge; Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobile], Extra Condition, Limited Degree, AP: Ranged Burst Area Affliction 8 [Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed, Stunned, Asleep])
Advantages: Accurate Attack, Eidetic Memory, Improved Initiative 2, Power Attack, Startle.
Skills: Close Combat: Unarmed 6 (+14), Expertise: Science 12 (+19), Intimidation 12 (+20), Ranged Combat: Weapons Systems 6 (+14), Technology 12 (+19).
Offense: Initiative +14, Unarmed +14 (Close Damage 12), Laser Beam +14 (Ranged Damage 12), Mini-Rocket -- (Ranged Burst Area Damage 8), Molecular Binder +14 (Ranged Affliction 8, Resisted by Dodge), Sleep Blast -- (Ranged Burst Area Affiction 8, Resisted by Dodge).
Defense: Dodge 11, Parry 11, Fortitude Immune, Toughness 15, Will 13.
Totals: Abilities 92 + Powers 141 + Advantages 6 + Skills 24 + Defenses 19 = 282 points
Complications: Hatred of All Life--Motivation. Vulnerable (gravity, magnetism).
Mechanon sure plays a mean air guitar. Should be under skills ;-)
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Maybe he's just a big fan of Wyld Stallyns ;~)
Ken

Post by Ken »

catsi563 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:48 am His 4th ed look

I believe that was his 5th edition look.

In the BBB that is the 4th edition, they reused the picture that was his 3rd edition picture:

Similar, but in 3rd and 4th, his head was less ornate.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Yeah youre correct, they added the more ornate styling for 5th and Champions Online
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Catsi stories
Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:54 am So it's interesting to see his backstory laid out. How much is directly from Champions, and how much is from other sources? I remember Omega from Green Ronin- is it the same guy?
It's basically a merge of his classic origin (horribly scarred WWII scientist builds suit of armor and sets out to conquer the world) and the CNM origin (ancient god king reawakens in modern times, builds suit of armor and sets out to conquer the world) with flourishes from Silver Age Sentinels (all the parts about Kreuzritter) and the Algernon Files (the bits about the Observer and Atlantis). Yes, Omega is Green Ronin's Omega.

My apartment's internet got cut off again, but as I've reached a point where I was planning to take a break anyway ... posting will resume this weekend, with a selection of characters from Enemies II.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

ah, OK. I have to look up that stuff to see what is from which thing. I thought Silver Age Sentinels was just a PART of Champsions. What's CNM?
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Champions new millennium was a quick 90s styling of the Champions universe done in the Mekton zeta game system.

they used the same characters with some slight variations and changes in the backstories to get a more modern update. the setting was bay city IE the san Francisco, San jose Oakland bay area after a guy named Prometheus who was massively powerful created a dome over the area and all the heroes died defeating him save a few.

Silver Age does have a connection to champions by the by they did a crossover where Kreuzritter and Dr Destoryer set the guard and champions against each other in an event called reality storm.

Catsi stories
Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:06 pm ah, OK. I have to look up that stuff to see what is from which thing. I thought Silver Age Sentinels was just a PART of Champsions. What's CNM?
No, Silver Age Sentinels was a Tri-Stat game (same system as the Sailor Moon role-playing game and Big Eyes Small Mouth) that also had a d20 adaptation as well as the Hero System crossover adventure catsi mentioned. Interestingly, it was the basis for the official The Authority role-playing game.
catsi563 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:11 pm Silver Age does have a connection to champions by the by they did a crossover where Kreuzritter and Dr Destoryer set the guard and champions against each other in an event called reality storm.
One of the very few 5th edition Champions books that will probably never be released in pdf, sad to say ...
Gamebook

Post by Gamebook »

I'm fairly familiar with the Champions characters from that time I went through and converted them all from 6th edition (that was a job of work). Interesting to see their older versions from previous editions of HERO System. Some of them have changed noticeably in design.

The write-ups in the Champions Villains volumes were often monstrously long and complex, especially for top supervillains like Mechanon and Doctor Destroyer. Are your conversions direct ports of the HERO builds or more approximate builds?
scc

Post by scc »

I love Mechanon and Dr. Destroyer. Grant you I am no expert on these guys. I know when I did some conversions from HERO to M&M from 5th and 6th edition I really didn't want to stat up Dr. Destroyer because he was so powerful and had a huge stat block.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Gamebook wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:23 pm The write-ups in the Champions Villains volumes were often monstrously long and complex, especially for top supervillains like Mechanon and Doctor Destroyer. Are your conversions direct ports of the HERO builds or more approximate builds?
Most are direct ports, but some incorporate changes that I came up with for this particular version of the character.
Davies

Post by Davies »

scc wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:22 pm I love Mechanon and Dr. Destroyer. Grant you I am no expert on these guys. I know when I did some conversions from HERO to M&M from 5th and 6th edition I really didn't want to stat up Dr. Destroyer because he was so powerful and had a huge stat block.
Dr. Destroyer is the biggest example of power creep in the Hero System from 1st to 6th edition, hands down.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Davies wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:35 am
scc wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:22 pm I love Mechanon and Dr. Destroyer. Grant you I am no expert on these guys. I know when I did some conversions from HERO to M&M from 5th and 6th edition I really didn't want to stat up Dr. Destroyer because he was so powerful and had a huge stat block.
Dr. Destroyer is the biggest example of power creep in the Hero System from 1st to 6th edition, hands down.
I though just from 1st to 4th was a substantial power creep for the guy, especially the "high end" version, since, as I recall, he actually had two versions in Classic Enemies.

Never mind his write-up though, his physical appearance on the front the BBB, drawn by George Perez, he looked more like Mumm-Ra than Doctor Doom. He looked awesome, but it didn't match the background.

My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.