World of Freedom 3.2 - Whatever Comes To Mind

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Yojimbo

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Freedom Legion Members! And Enemies! The Old Guard!

Post by Yojimbo »

Holy crap, that's scary. Holy war between angels and demons unleashed upon the mortal world? That's apocalyptic in scale. "Psychopath" is putting it mildly. This guy seems to have the same faulty reasoning abilities and limited imagination as Thanos.

Great villain, in other words.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Yojimbo wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 3:13 pm Holy crap, that's scary. Holy war between angels and demons unleashed upon the mortal world? That's apocalyptic in scale. "Psychopath" is putting it mildly. This guy seems to have the same faulty reasoning abilities and limited imagination as Thanos.
Yes, and he's still not nearly as scary as his primary inspiration. :twisted:

Thanks!
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Davies

Post by Davies »

Asmodeus

Long ago -- so long ago that it is futile to use any Earthly date as a referent -- there was a war in heaven, among the servants of the Light and the Logos. In one sense, this war ended long ago. In another, it is happening right now. Regardless of such considerations, it must be understood that this is all just establishing context, for one faction of these beings, led by one called Belial (the name 'Lucifer' would not be invented until much later) were cast out into the Shadow, where they created a realm they called Hell.

For an eternity, these rebel angels continued their war as best they could, using mortal worlds as their battlegrounds. And then, roughly two thousand years before the common era, it was discovered that Belial, their ruler, had somehow abandoned -- or perhaps escaped -- Hell. They were unable to discover how he had done this, or what became of him, and he was never seen again in any of the shapes he had ever used. Of course, their investigation was somewhat hindered by the civil war in Hell that had broken out as soon as the truth became known.

The victor of this brief conflict, lasting only a few centuries, was known as Belzebab (sometimes called Baalzebul or Beelzebub). He achieved his triumph through the support of many of the denizens of Hell who had not been among the rebel angels, but had gravitated towards this place because it served their own purposes. One of Belzebab's most significant supporters, believed by some to have been the architect of the fallen angel's strategy, was known as Asmodeus.

Asmodeus' origins are a mystery. There are the predictable suggestions that he is Belial returned in a new shape, but he has never pursued any of the vendettas that Belial engaged in before his disappearance. Some claim that he is a servant of the Zoroastrian destructive spirit, Angra Mainyu, who has either abandoned his old master or serves him still, trying to make Hell into a province of his master's domain. There are many tales, some suggesting that Asmodeus is older and stranger than Hell itself. He certainly is not telling.

For a moderate amount of time, as eternal beings reckon things, Asmodeus served Belzebab as an agent. But Belzebab's rule of hell would be marked by disasters, such as the time he sent Asmodeus to a mortal world to tempt a particularly wise king, only for that ruler to devise means of binding demons to mortal will. As this still allowed the Infernals to tempt mortal wizards, it was at best a minor misstep, particularly compared to the catastrophes of the Pact and latter Gotterdammerung. Not long after that last defeat, Asmodeus was invited by a council of Hell's most powerful entities to usurp Belzebab's throne.

This he did, but then Asmodeus surprised his supporters by not destroying Belzebab but rather installing him as one of the most powerful of Hell's new aristocracy. The council quickly found themselves divided against themselves; none of them trusted the other, and none of them had enough power to overthrow Asmodeus alone. And so Asmodeus' rule over hell began, and has lasted for more than a thousand years -- not quite as long as Belzebab's did, but with markedly fewer disasters.

For the most part, Asmodeus has had no interest in Earth-Prime, preferring to pursue strategies on Anti-Earth (where he serves as the deity of one of the major world religions) or the crazy-quilt world where Freeport exists. (Or rather, where one of the cities known as Freeport exists.) This changed in the aftermath of Hades' unsuccessful invasion of Freedom City, which attracted a great deal of interest throughout the lower realms. Asmodeus' investigations revealed that Iblis, the ruler of Gehenna, had also embarked on a plot there, fathering a being who became known as the Anti-Christ. Asmodeus believed that this plot was doomed to failure (as indeed it proved, less than the blink of an eye later) but it did get him thinking.

The result of that thinking was the birth of two daughters, one a cambion known as Glasya Lebolas, and the other a strange crossbreed between Hell and the Abyss, also named Glasya. It will take centuries for that second child to be ready to serve a role in Asmodeus' grand designs, which demonstrates that he possesses the decidedly undemonic characteristic of patience. In the meanwhile, he has seen the mortal Glasya rebel against him, which actually made him respect her a bit more for showing that she had the strength to oppose him. This respect will not save her if she ever inconveniences him, but it does keep him from sending a stream of hellish assassins after her.

Asmodeus -- PL 16

Abilities: STR 12 | STA 17 | AGL 3 | DEX 6 | FGT 13 | INT 11 | AWE 11 | PRE 13
Powers: Infernal Body (Immunity 26 [aging, corrosive effects, fire/heat effects, life support]; Impervious Toughness 17; Morph 4; Senses 2 [darkvision]), Infernal Mind (Comprehend Languages 4; Comprehend Spirits 2; Impervious Will 13), Infernal Powers (Array: Ranged Damage 13/20, Affects Insubstantial 2, AP: Ranged Affliction 13/20 [Resisted and Overcome by Fortitude; Impaired, Disabled, Transformed], Variable Descriptor 2 [many possible transformations], AP: Illusion 7/10 [all senses], Resistable by Will, AP: Continuous Precise Create 9/14, AP: Transform 5/8 [any material into any material], AP: Accurate Extended Teleport 9/14, Only within Hell), Ruby Rod (Strength-based Damage 3; Variable 3, Free Action, Limited to Enhanced Infernal Powers; Easily Removable), Shadowy Wings (Flight 12)
Advantages: Benefit 6 (Wealth Beyond Avarice, Ruler of Hell), Connected, Diehard, Eidetic Memory, Fascinate (Persuasion), Fearless, Ranged Attack 6, Ritualist, Well-Informed.
Skills: Close Combat: Ruby Rod 4 (+17), Deception 5 (+18), Expertise: Magic 10 (+21), Insight 9 (+20), Intimidation 13 (+26), Perception 8 (+19), Persuasion 9 (+22).
Offense: Initiative +3, Unarmed +13 (Close Damage 12), Ruby Rod +17 (Close Damage 15), Hellfire Blast +12 (Ranged Damage 13/20), Polymorph Spell +12 (Ranged Fortitude 13/20).
Defense: Dodge 11, Parry 13, Fortitude 17, Toughness 17, Will 13.
Totals: Abilities 172 + Powers 169 + Advantages 19 + Skills 29 + Defenses 10 = 399 points
Complications: Power--Motivation. Rivals/Enemies (countless other demon lords).

Author's Note: Elements of this character sheet were suggested by the character sheet for Asmodeus in Jacob Blackmon's Super-Powered Legends Sourcebook.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 6:14 pm For the most part, Asmodeus has had no interest in Earth-Prime, preferring to pursue strategies on Anti-Earth (where he serves as the deity of one of the major world religions) or the crazy-quilt world where Freeport exists. (Or rather, where one of the cities known as Freeport exists.) This changed in the aftermath of Hades' unsuccessful invasion of Freedom City, which attracted a great deal of interest throughout the lower realms. Asmodeus' investigations revealed that Iblis, the ruler of Gehenna, had also embarked on a plot there, fathering a being who became known as the Anti-Christ. Asmodeus believed that this plot was doomed to failure (as indeed it proved, less than the blink of an eye later) but it did get him thinking.
I get this feeling we're eventually going to see an snippet about Iblis' kid, who I assume is the same kid that The Preacher stopped back in '78?

My suggestions? Have that kid be an exhausted and cynical man pushing 60 as well as something of an equivalent to Jason Blood.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:41 pm My suggestions? Have that kid be an exhausted and cynical man pushing 60 as well as something of an equivalent to Jason Blood.
Close. He actually turns 70 on September 3, 2015 (having been born the day after World War II ended), has been wheelchair bound since that confrontation, and served as something equivalent to the Doom Patrol's Chief or Baron Winters to a collection of antiheroic monsters back in the 90s. One of his kids is pretty close to Jason Blood, though.

Next Up: Orkus.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:55 pm
Voltron64 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:41 pm My suggestions? Have that kid be an exhausted and cynical man pushing 60 as well as something of an equivalent to Jason Blood.
Close. He actually turns 70 on September 3, 2015 (having been born the day after World War II ended), has been wheelchair bound since that confrontation, and served as something equivalent to the Doom Patrol's Chief or Baron Winters to a collection of antiheroic monsters back in the 90s. One of his kids is pretty close to Jason Blood, though.
June 6th, 1946 would have been too obvious, huh?
Davies

Post by Davies »

I considered June 16, actually, but decided against it.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Orkus

Imagine, if you can, the destruction of your home. And not just your home, but the home of everyone you have ever met, along with all of those people. Then go a little further, and imagine that your entire world, and -- though this is probably impossible for most people -- all the worlds that made up your universe have also been destroyed. But you have somehow been spared. For the rest of your life, you will be sure that the destruction you barely escaped is somewhere just behind you. You will never sleep soundly again.

This is the life of those who have escaped the Terminus' destruction of their worlds. There are a surprisingly large number of them, all across reality -- the forces of oblivion make only cursory efforts to prevent such flights, since they will claim all of existence in due time. Most of these people live in never-ending flight, owning no more than they can carry and leaving at the first hint that anything might be wrong in their new realities. And no, they do not sleep soundly, and their dreams are the sleep of reason.

Which, of course, breeds monsters.

Initially, the being now known as Orkus was only a nightmare image of Omega in the dreams. Yet somehow, perhaps because of the transcendent reality of what Omega is, the way that his image resonates throughout the many dimensions of existence, the nightmare became a creature aware of itself and the dream world around it. Embodying both Omega himself and the Entropy which he serves, the creature was born with an unending hunger, not for the substance of the material world, but for spiritual energy.

For a very long time, the creature subsisted on what scraps of that energy it could steal away from those dreamers whose sleeping minds imagined the Terminus. It was never satisfied with this, of course, but it lacked the power to claim anything more. But then something happened that no one could have expected. Shortly before the battle known as Gotterdammerung, the goddess Eris (see Threat Report) and a number of her associated lesser gods (called her children in myth, though there was no actual relation between them) were passing through the realm of dreams on some business, and chanced to attract the attention of the Omega-dream.

It attacked them, harming many of the gods, and outright killing and consuming Horkos, the god of oaths, before Eris could be bothered to bestir herself in response. Yet when she did, she was easily able to bind the creature, whom she observed with some interest. By consuming Horkos, it had transformed itself from a nightmare into something more material. After learning all that interested her, Eris spoke. "You now have the life you have claimed from my son, and so I give you his last possession as well. I name thee Orkus. And in honor of your naming, I give another gift." She pressed a minor wand of necromantic power into the creature's clawed hand, then spoke a word to cast the newly named Orkus into the Abyss.

Most likely, Eris expected the creature to be consumed by one of the more powerful demons of that place. This has not happened, to put it mildly. Instead, Orkus and his wand of death have grown mightier and mightier in the centuries that followed, until he is one of the most potent of the Abyss' rulers, and the wand become one of the mightiest artifacts of black magic in the cosmos. Whatever the goddess of strife thinks about the rise of her 'pupil' is known only to her.

Shaped in the image of Omega, Orkus likewise seeks destruction -- but where Omega seeks the end of everything, all that Orkus desires is the end of all life. It could be said that he views his original as a father of sorts, and that he hopes to exceed him by destroying all that lives in every dimension, thus rendering Omega's victory meaningless, in his imagination. (In reality, Omega will not care and simply shove the lifeless and undefended realities into the Doom Coil, likely exterminating Orkus long before that job is done.)

Also like his "father", Orkus has led occasional demonic invasions of material planes, usually causing a great deal of havoc there but never succeeding in destroying any of them. Very recently, he led an assault against the defenders of a world called Verecia, where he crippled Invictus, that world's version of the Centurion, intending to leave him to stew in his misery and thus demonstrate his superiority over Omega. Another entity intervened and granted Invictus a painless death, however, ruining Orkus' gesture.

The fundamental truth of Orkus is that he is more about the idea of destruction than its actuality. Make no mistake, he is a terrifying and dangerous opponent. But just as a nightmare is something that can be faced and endured much more easily than the cause of a nightmare, so is it with him.

Orkus -- PL 15 (home plane)/13 (everwhere else)

Abilities: STR 15/13 | STA 16/14 | AGL 6/4 | DEX 6/4 | FGT 12/10 | INT 3 | AWE 6 | PRE 12/10
Powers: Abyssal Gifts (Array: Cloud Area Affliction 15/13 [Resisted by Fortitude; fatigued and vulnerable, exhausted and defenseless), Extra Condition, Limited Degree, AP: Auditory Perception Area Affliction 15/13 [Resisted by Will; impaired, disabled, paralyzed]), Claws (Strength-based Damage 3), Home Plane Advantage (Enhanced Agility 2; Enhanced Area Affliction 2; Enhanced Dexterity 2; Enhanced Fighting 2; Enhanced Presence 2; Enhanced Stamina 2; Enhanced Strength 2; Immortality 10; Limited [only on Abyssal Home Plane]), Massive (Innate Permanent Growth 4), Otherworldly Nature (Immunity 18 [aging, disease, electricity damage, emotion effects, fire damage, poison]; Impervious Protection 2; Impervious Toughness 8; Senses 2 [darkvision]), Telepathy (Mental Communication 1; Comprehend Languages 4), Wand of Death (Ranged Damage 16; Summon Undead 10, Active, Controlled, Horde, Mental Link, Multiple Minions 3, Sacrifice, Variable Type 2; Easily Removable), Wings (Flight 8, Wings).
Advantages: All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Ritualist, Startle, Takedown.
Skills: Expertise: Magic 18 (+21), Intimidation 12 (+24/+22), Perception 12 (+18), Ranged Combat: Wand of Death 6 (+12).
Offense: Initiative +10/+8, Unarmed +12/+10 (Close Damage 15/13), Claw +12/+10 (Close Damage 18/16), Necrotic Blast +12/+10 (Ranged Damage 16), Vile Breath -- (Cloud Area Fortitude 15/13), Terrifying Roar -- (Perception Area Will 15/13).
Defense: Dodge 10/8, Parry 12/10, Fortitude 16/14, Toughness 18/16, Will 12.
Totals: Abilities 120 + Powers 217 + Advantages 9 + Skills 24 + Defenses 14 = 384 points
Complications: Destruction--Motivation. Inconveniently Large.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ok,let's just play the game of Keep away with ANYTHING that'll let this dude out....
Davies

Post by Davies »

Well, summoning talismans for him aren't that common on Earth-Prime, though unfortunately a good number of rituals to "summon the devil" are built up out of old spells meant to summon Horkos to witness an oath, which now connect to guess who.
Davies

Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FOXBAT!

Post by Davies »

Foxbat II

The life story of Freddy Foswell, the original variously adjectived Foxbat, is too well-known to be more than briefly summarized here. The comic book-loving child of wealthy parents, he was devastated first by their sudden deaths when he was in his early twenties, then by the revelation that their family's financial manager had been embezzling from them, leaving him now nearly ruined. Driven a bit cuckoo by these tragedies, Freddy came to believe that he was a character in a comic book, and sought to overcome the vast, ill-defined and probably imaginary conspiracy which had wrought his ruin, employing his native agility and eccentric genius as and you know what name comes here.

Foxbat was one of the most persistent and (definitely) the most aggravating of the foes of the original Champions. Increasing the headache that he represented, he sometimes saw himself as one of their allies. He did actually assist them (as a distraction, mostly) on several occasions ... and never let anyone involved forget it.

When all but one of the Champions died during the Terminus Invasion, Foxbat was shocked, but realized what he had to do. The Champions could not -- nay, must not! -- be allowed to end that way. And so, as he had several times before, he announced to the world that he was no longer a criminal, and with his stalwart companion Exoskeleton Man at his side, he declared that a new team of Champions had been born.

Two weeks later, when no other heroes had accepted his open invitation to join "Foxbat and the Champions", and the police and local government had indicated their complete lack of interest in cooperating with them, and Exoskeleton wondering aloud where his next paycheck was coming from, and even Foxbat himself forced to admit that his brilliant plan might just possibly have a few unforeseen problems, he still remained confident that history would show that this was his finest hour.

Didn't happen.

He went back to crime, to pay the bills more than any other reason, but without the Champions around, it just wasn't the same. Even the establishment of the Justice Foundation didn't help matters. They were all so darned serious all the time, and that Corona girl seemed impervious to his irresistible masculine allure as no superheroine had ever been before her.

By the time that an authentic team of New Champions were formed, Freddy was in his early forties, and somewhat past his prime. While the team's rebirth was pleasant to witness, he had a feeling that the new group was somewhat out of their depths. They needed a true challenge to test themselves against, and so ... lo! Enter the Foxbat, Redux!

But it couldn't be him. Freddy wasn't that crazy. Back in the day, he would've walked all over these new guys, but that day was gone. (Curse the tendency of people to age in real time when their adventures aren't being published!)

So he sought out an heir to the noble legacy of Foxbat, and found one in the person of Stanley Foswell, his distant cousin and close look-a-like. Kidnapping the lad, Freddy explained what he needed. Stanley refused to have any part of it. (Of course he did! It said he would, right here in Campbell under "Refusing the Call".) So Freddy understood this "No" to mean "Convince me". Therefore, he subjected him to weeks of intense psychological and chemical conditioning designed to help him understand Freddy's unique perspective on reality, the key to being Foxbat. Stanley quit screaming in horrible agony after the first few hours, so he can't have found it too unpleasant.

When he was finally ready, Stan was equipped with a duplicate of the Foxbat suit and ping-pong gun, and sent out to challenge the Champions. The plan was for him to lead them back to the newest incarnation of the Foxbat Den. Then Freddy would reveal himself and, using a souped up version of the Exoskeleton Man suit, fight against the Champions alongside the new Foxbat, setting up his "the mentor departs" moment. Unfortunately, the best laid plans, et cetera. His departure proved a little more permanent than he'd intended, when the exoskeleton's improvements demonstrated a few bugs that he hadn't had the chance to fix, and blew the whole thing up around him. There was a body, it was positively identified, and the long, strange, tragic, humorous, and above all long saga of the original Foxbat saw the publication of its final issue.

Stanley suffered a total collapse at this revelation, and was sent to a psychiatric facility for treatment. The doctors there, with the help of visiting expert Dr. Ashley Ellis, helped him to recover from the wounds his cousin had inflicted on his psyche. They were able to heal him of the delusion the two Foxbats had shared, of being characters in a comic book. He broke out of the hospital a few weeks later, to resume his career as the new Foxbat. How had he ever been convinced of such a ridiculous idea as being a character in a comic book? Obviously, he was a non-player character in a super-heroic role-playing game!

Ever since then, he has bedeviled the new Champions. Mostly, he's the same occasionally endearing, usually aggravating, full-fledged loon that the original was. Periodically, however, a very different, more disturbing side of his personality shows itself, when he displays a shocking indifference to human suffering. ("Come on! They're bystanders, it's not like they have any backstory!") On the other hand, a more noble, even selflessly heroic aspect has also been known to make an appearance.

His behaviour is utterly erratic. He will sometimes shout out terminology from his imaginary role-playing, even going so far as to refer to the Champions by a civillian names utterly different from their "real ones", presumably those of the "players". Perhaps the weirdest thing about this, as Seeker has observed, is that sometimes listening to Foxbat's babble makes one almost believe that one really is just a player character ...

Recently, Stanley has started to feel his years. It's been twelve years since his debut, and he's well aware that most campaigns don't last anywhere nearly this long. Maybe he should start looking for a successor, the way Freddy did. And hey, why not have it be a female, a minority, or both, just to annoy everybody! How long this particular scheme will last before something distracts him remains to be seen.

Foxbat II -- PL 10

Abilities: STR 3 | STA 2 | AGL 5 | DEX 6 | FGT 13 | INT 3 | AWE 3 | PRE 5
Powers: Costume (Flight 5, Gliding; Protection 2; Removable), Ping Pong Gun (Array: Ranged Multiattack Damage 5, AP: Ranged Cloud Area Affliction 5 [Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed, Stunned, Asleep], AP: Ranged Burst Area Affliction 5 [Resisted by Fortitude; Impaired, Disabled, Unaware], AP: Ranged Cloud Area Weaken Fighting 5; Easily Removable)
Advantages: Agile Feint, Daze (Deception), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Equipment 10, Evasion 2, Fascinate (Deception), Grabbing Finesse, Improved Initiative, Knows That He's An NPC*, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7, Redirect, Taunt.
Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+13), Athletics 6 (+9), Deception 10 (+15), Insight 8 (+11), Intimidation 8 (+13), Perception 10 (+13), Ranged Combat: Ping-Pong Gun 2 (+8), Sleight of Hand 10 (+16), Stealth 10 (+15).
Offense: Initiative +9, Unarmed +13 (Close Damage 3), Ping Pong Gun +15 (Ranged Multiattack Damage 5), Knockout Gas Ping Pong -- (Ranged Cloud Area Fortitude 5), Flashbang Ping Pong -- (Ranged Burst Area Fortitude 5), Glueball Ping Pong +15 (Ranged Weaken Fighting 5).
Defense: Dodge 14, Parry 13, Fortitude 6, Toughness 6/4/2, Will 11.
Totals: Abilities 80 + Powers 17 + Advantages 30 + Skills 36 + Defenses 21 = 184 points
Complications: Thrills--Motivation. Enemy (oh so many). Reputation (a dangerous loon).

* And also knows everything about the adventure, the other NPCS, and the PCs that the GM does. Whenever he uses this knowledge, it counts as a use of GM Fiat, and the players affected get a Hero Point.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

This dude would be an absolute HORROR to inflict upon the players.It'd screw with their Reality so much It's all kinds of messed up......I love him! :twisted:
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Been there done that got the I went to Foxbatcon and got this tshirt shirt
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Davies

Post by Davies »

catsi563 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:03 pm Been there done that got the I went to Foxbatcon and got this tshirt shirt
Ooh, you might not want to hold on to that, it supposedly has a mind control circuit woven into the fabric that can turn people who wear it into Foxbat's fawning slaves. Of course, things being as they are, it probably won't work, especially if you've washed it a few times, but why take chances?
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Davies wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:25 pm
catsi563 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:03 pm Been there done that got the I went to Foxbatcon and got this tshirt shirt
Ooh, you might not want to hold on to that, it supposedly has a mind control circuit woven into the fabric that can turn people who wear it into Foxbat's fawning slaves. Of course, things being as they are, it probably won't work, especially if you've washed it a few times, but why take chances?
That why i run all my shirts through an Electro-Magnet first,much safer that way.... :D