World of Freedom 3.2 - Whatever Comes To Mind

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Davies

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Freedom Legion Members! And Enemies! The Old Guard!

Post by Davies »

Next up: Over to Chicago for a look at the activities of a group of nighthawks.

No, not them.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Davies wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:23 am Next up: Over to Chicago for a look at the activities of a group of nighthawks.

No, not them.
To Quote a great movie line from the Untouchables:
Elliot Ness:"So much Violence...."
:D
Davies

Post by Davies »

The Geist II

From 1966 to 1986, Chicago's most noteworthy costumed crimefighters were the mysterious figure known as the Geist, and his young partner the Goblin. Frequently accused of being a copycat of Freedom City's Raven, the Geist never responded to such accusations, or anything else, either. Where most masked avenger types tried to establish working relationships or were even deputized by the police departments of their home cities, the Geist neither sought nor received any such sanction, and also avoided contact with the press and his so-called peers in the field of superheroics. When his operations finally ceased, it was unclear what had happened to him, but most suspected that he'd met a very final end.

Then, in 2013, a new Geist appeared in the Windy City, every bit as mysterious, if not more so. The rumors suggest that the Geist has become more powerful, shrugging off bullets like a tank, except for those that suggest that he's the same as he ever was, avoiding gunfire with stealth and cunning. Some of the more bewildering tales are clearly impossible, because they describe the Geist being in more than one place at the same time. Certain people have wondered if perhaps the Geist is just an urban legend, invented to explain criminal failures, since no one has managed to get a good photograph of the new one. And so everyone is left to wonder -- who is the Geist?

And the answer is -- no one.

Or rather, no individual. The current Geist is a team of people who employ a sophisticated combat suit which completely disguises their identity -- as well as jamming all digital cameras -- and enhances their abilities to allow them to perform the Geist's physical feats. There are currently three suits, each representing about a year's work and an enormous expense. Normally only one suit will be in use at any given time, while the other are being maintained. The handful of times that more than one suit has been in use represented conditions of extreme danger that justified such a risk to the team's resources.

Geist Costume (Concealment 4 [visual senses], Limited to machines; Enhanced Agility 5; Enhanced Fighting 5; Enhanced Ranged Attack 5; Enhanced Strength 4; Flight 4, Limited to ascending; Morph 1; Movement 2 [safe fall, wall crawling]; Protection 4; Senses 7 [communication link with Geistheim Computer, distance sense, direction sense, tracking infravision, lowlight vision, time sense]; Removable), Geist Darts (Array: Ranged Multiattack Damage 5, AP: Ranged Burst Area Damage 5; Easily Removable)

Michael Sachs -- PL 5

Michael Sachs was the original Geist. A German Jew born in 1939, he lost his entire family to the Holocaust and was adopted by an American soldier who took him to Chicago. In the early 1960s, he followed his adoptive father into the military and served two tours of duty in Vietnam. During this time, he developed the idea of becoming the Geist, and put it into practice when he returned to the United States in 1966. He married the ex-wife of one of his enemies in 1973, and his wife was finally able to persuade him to retire from crimefighting in 1986.

Michael's wife passed away in 2011. This stressor would likely have driven him back into action as a crimefighter, despite his advanced age, had his adoptive son and daughter-in-law not approached him with the plan to create a "Team Geist". He was faintly surprised that they came up with the idea, given their backgrounds, but has embraced it. Despite their expectation that he would act as mission control for the team, he heads into action as much as any of the others do, using the suit's abilities to compensate for his old age and frailty. He has come to view Joshua as a second son, and finds Biddie trying but admirable.

Abilities: STR 1 | STA 0 | AGL 1 | DEX 1 | FGT 7 | INT 3 | AWE 4 | PRE 6
Advantages: Accurate Attack, Benefit 3 (Millionaire), Connected, Contacts, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Ranged Attack 6.
Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+5), Athletics 4 (+5), Deception 4 (+10), Expertise: Streetwise 6 (+9), Insight 8 (+12), Intimidation 4 (+10), Investigation 8 (+11), Perception 4 (+8), Sleight of Hand 4 (+5), Stealth 6 (+7), Technology 6 (+9), Vehicles 4 (+5).
Offense: Initiative +1, Unarmed +7 (Close Damage 1).
Defense: Dodge 7, Parry 7, Fortitude 4, Toughness 3/0, Will 6.
Totals: Abilities 46 + Advantages 16 + Skills 31 + Defenses 12 = 105 points
Complications: Justice--Motivation. Family (Alexander). Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Secret Identity. Very Old.

Alexander Sachs -- PL 7

Alexander Sachs (born 1966, as Alexandru Moriarty) was the second Goblin, active from 1978 to 1986. The son of one of the Geist's most persistent enemies, he was adopted by Michael not long after his marriage to Alexander's mother. Despite his strong desire to help his father in any way possible, he came to realize that he wasn't a crimefighter by nature, and joined his mother in convincing Michael to retire. Alex went on to become an executive in the family business, with a focus on research and development.

He met Maggie Lee in 2006 while she was investigating a murder that involved one of his company's holdings, and they began a whirlwind romance that saw them married the next year. This meant she had to be brought in on the secret of the Geist and the Goblin, much to his father's disapproval. Alex was genuinely shocked when Maggie proposed using suit he and Joel had designed as a medical exoskeleton to fight crime as a new Geist, but agreed and brought his father in. Alex still doesn't particularly enjoy the violent side of crime fighting, but does find the puzzling out of criminal schemes to be exciting.

Abilities: STR 1 | STA 2 | AGL 2 | DEX 2 | FGT 4 | INT 7 | AWE 1 | PRE 3
Equipment: Geistheim (Headquarters [Size: Large, Toughness: 10, Features: Communications, Computer, Fire Prevention System, Infirmary, Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Personnel, Power System, Security System, Workshop])
Advantages: Assessment, Attractive, Benefit 3 (Millionaire), Defensive Roll 2, Eidetic Memory, Equipment 3, Improvised Tools, Inventor, Skill Mastery (Technology).
Skills: Close Combat: Unarmed 6 (+10), Expertise: Business 5 (+12), Expertise: Science 10 (+17), Insight 8 (+9), Persuasion 5 (+8), Technology 10 (+17), Vehicles 4 (+6)
Offense: Initiative +2, Unarmed +10 (Close Damage 1)
Defense: Dodge 9, Parry 8, Fortitude 7, Toughness 5/2, Will 7
Totals: Abilities 44 + Powers 0 + Advantages 14 + Skills 24 + Defenses 22 = 104 points
Complications: Justice--Motivation. Family (Maggie, Michael). Responsibility (business). Secret Identity.

Maggie Lee -- PL 7

Maggie Lee's life before 1982, when she was taken in by the Chicago foster care system, who estimated her to be five years old, is a mystery. She decided to become a police officer from an early age, possibly influenced by memories of the officers who brought her in. She stuck to that dream despite many temptations along the way, and ultimately graduated from the police academy with extremely high marks. She made detective in record time, having almost accidentally busted a serial killer, and led the department in closed cases after reaching that rank. But her personal life was lonely and empty until she began an investigation that led to her meeting Alexander Sachs in 2006.

She was quite surprised to discover his family secret, but kept it nonetheless, despite the somewhat adversarial relationship she developed with her father-in-law. As the Chicago PD gradually came under the influence of Black Snake Security, Maggie became increasingly frustrated with the corruption and brutality that her beloved department was demonstrating. This inspired her to suggest using her husband's power suit technology to fight crime as a new Geist, and she has embraced the role of a vigilante eagerly. However, she acts with greater caution than many of her partners, as she believes that she has much more to fear from the exposure of her secret.

Note: Maggie does not use her Laser Pistol (a gift from her husband) or the rest of her police-issued equipment while active as the Geist.

Abilities: STR 1 | STA 2 | AGL 2 | DEX 2 | FGT 7 | INT 4 | AWE 3 | PRE 1
Powers: Laser Pistol (Ranged Damage 5, Accurate; Easily Removable)
Equipment: Concealed Vest, Light Pistol, Tonfa, Smartphone, Handcuffs.
Advantages: Contacts, Defensive Attack, Equipment 3 Improved Initiative, Jack-of-all-trades, Languages 3, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Skill Mastery (Investigation), Uncanny Dodge, Well-Informed.
Skills: Athletics 6 (+7), Close Combat: Unarmed 6 (+13), Deception 6 (+7), Expertise: Streetwise 4 (+8), Insight 5 (+8), Intimidation 4 (+5), Investigation 6 (+10), Perception 5 (+8), Sleight of Hand 6 (+8), Stealth 8 (+10).
Offense: Initiative +6, Unarmed +13 (Close Damage 1), Laser Pistol +9 (Ranged Damage 5), Light Pistol +7 (Ranged Damage 3).
Defense: Dodge 9, Parry 10, Fortitude 6, Toughness 4/2, Will 8
Totals: Abilities 44 + Powers 7 + Advantages 19 + Skills 28 + Defenses 19 = 117 points
Complications: Justice--Motivation. Family (Alexander). Partner (Biddie). Secret Identity.

Patricia Wainwright -- PL 7

Patricia Wainwright is Michael Sachs' maid, personal assistant, nurse, and driver. She is also a highly sophisticated humanoid robot with a sapient artificial intelligence. Designed by the mad robot Mechanon, she and her fellow robots were intended to serve as the vanguard of an army to overthrow humanity. However, this plan by Mechanon was defeated by the Geist in 1985, leaving the robots inactive but intact. Alexander Sachs studied the programming of these robots and was able to get "Patricia" up and running a more human-friendly personality. (Manufacturing more robots of her type is beyond the Sachs family's capabilities, but they recently reactivated a second unit and sent it to be educated as a human in Mystery, New Hampshire.)

While Patricia was aware of the Geist program from its initiation onward, her participation was a surprise. When Michael suffered an accident while active as the Geist, her prime directive forced her to come to his aid, and she wore the recently completed second suit to disguise her identity while doing so. She is responsible for the stories of the new Geist's invulnerability, but those claims make the rest of the team very reluctant to send her into action. Patricia is content with this situation, but must follow the demands of her prime directive. Besides, she loves these silly people.

Abilities: STR 4 | STA -- | AGL 3 | DEX 2 | FGT 6 | INT 3 | AWE 1 | PRE 0
Powers: Laser Eyebeam (Ranged Damage 5), Robot (Immunity 35 [emotion effects, Fortitude effects]; Impervious Protection 8).
Advantages: Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Power Attack.
Skills: Deception 6 (+6), Perception 7 (+8), Ranged Attack: Laser 7 (+9), Stealth 6 (+9), Treatment 8 (+11), Vehicles 4 (+6).
Offense: Initiative +7, Unarmed +6 (Close Damage 4).
Defense: Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude Immune, Toughness 8, Will 5.
Totals: Abilities 28 + Powers 61 + Advantages 3 + Skills 19 + Defenses 7 = 118 points
Complications: Duty--Motivation. Secret (robot). Secret Identity.

Joshua Stein -- PL 8

Joshua Stein is the older brother of Joel Stein, who is secretly Boston's chief superhero, Splotch. Until 2001, Joshua operated as Splotch's partner, Ink, until he was nearly fatally attacked by one of their enemies and left in a coma for nearly a decade. Even when he emerged, he was still paralyzed from the waist down. Refusing to let this stop him, Joshua became one of the world's leading experts on information technology, and was hired by Alexander Sachs' company, where he helped to develop the technology that became the Geist's power suit. He treats the suits as the very fragile pieces of technology that they are, and nearly has a heart attack every time they are damaged.

That said, Joshua also welcomes the opportunity to be a superhero again that the suit allows him, and is the member of the team who most wants the new Geist to interact more with Chicago's other superheroes. Most of the rest of the team prefer to avoid such team-ups. Joshua respects their wishes, and even managed to keep his activities as the new Geist a secret from Joel when he recently visited Chicago ... though the Geist and Splotch did end up working a case together on that occasion.

Abilities: STR 1 | STA 2 | AGL 0 | DEX 2 | FGT 4 | INT 6 | AWE 6 | PRE 2
Advantages: Assessment, Benefit (Gather Information based on Technology), Connected, Contacts, Jack-of-all-Trades, Prone Fighting, Redirect, Set-Up, Well-Informed.
Skills: Deception 6 (+8), Expertise: Computers 10 (+16), Insight 8 (+14), Investigation 4 (+10), Perception 8 (+14), Persuasion 8 (+10), Technology 12 (+18).
Offense: Initiative +0, Unarmed +4 (Close Damage 1).
Defense: Dodge 4, Parry 4, Fortitude 5, Toughness 2, Will 8.
Totals: Abilities 46 + Advantages 9 + Skills 28 + Defenses 7 = 90 points
Complications: Justice--Motivation. Family (Joel). Paralyzed. Secret Identity.

Biddie Sherman -- PL 4

Biddie Sherman, an Amish farmgirl who never came back from her raumspringa, is Detective Maggie Lee's partner, and more or less worships the ground Maggie walks on. She was read in on the secret when she became Maggie's partner, and understands the importance of keeping it on the QT. Biddie has never (and, if Michael has his way, will never) operated as the Geist, but she has helped out on several critical occasions, and is thus considered an honorary member of Team Geist. She has also started dating Joshua, which makes Maggie more than a little uncomfortable, but everyone else seems to be coping rather well.

Biddie has the stats of a Police Officer (M&M p. 217) but with INT 2 and Investigation 4 (+6).
Last edited by Davies on Wed May 23, 2018 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I love this version of the Bat-family(i especially like the Batman Beyond rub),can't wait to see how you do Goblyn(that's how i'd spell it,if i were you.It just looks cooler). :D
Davies

Post by Davies »

As yet, Team Geist doesn't have any plans to work with a Goblin, but it's possible that Patricia might insist on accompanying one of them in a non-functional but disguising costume based on that of the Goblin. (Which can be seen in Super-Powered Legends.)
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

The name Wainwright for the robot maid is a nice touch.
Davies

Post by Davies »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:28 am The name Wainwright for the robot maid is a nice touch.
Thank you! :D Her "sister's" name is Susan Wainwright.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

The "body casting" for the Geist clan is great.

Seeing the original's face gave me such a happy smile.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Thanks!
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

That's a great team, and a great concept for a vigilante hero.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Your take on Geist is an interesting twist on the character , I am jealous I hadn't thought of it.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Davies

Post by Davies »

Tattooedman wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:35 pm Your take on Geist is an interesting twist on the character , I am jealous I hadn't thought of it.
Yojimbo wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:19 pm That's a great team, and a great concept for a vigilante hero.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thank you both.

Later today: The Geist's nemesis.
Davies

Post by Davies »

The Apparition

Masked:

Unmasked:

In 2011, the municipal government of Chicago, faced with increasing gang and superhuman violence, turned to the private security corporation Black Snake and offered its CEO, Lauren Fleming, virtually unlimited authority in dealing with the situation. Since then, crime rates have diminished -- not as much as most would like, but down to manageable levels. On the other hand, the police, emergency services, and court systems have all largely been taken over by Black Snake, and the surest way to make sure that you don't benefit from any of the above is to be a critic of the company.

Almost nobody outside of Black Snake is aware that the woman who appears to the public as Lauren Fleming is an actor recruited to play the role. Those within the company who are aware believe that this is simply a security measure, and they are right ... in a way. The actor plays the role so that nobody can realize that the real Lauren Fleming appears far too young to have founded the corporation in the early eighties, and would have serious difficulties making any public appearances when the sun is in the sky. To say nothing of the fact that she can't be photographed.

Lauren Fleming was born in North Carolina in the early 1830s, and was in her early twenties when she was murdered -- then raised again -- by a vampire. This vampire was the same one who transformed Thomas Pembroke, the Night Stalker, who broke up her coterie as one of his first "heroic" acts. Fleming managed to escape Pembroke's wrath, and fell into the sway of another, elder vampire, who revealed the truths of her condition to her as her maker had not -- that they were the descendants, figuratively speaking, of Caine, and members of a clan of vampires called the Ventrue. He also revealed some of the deeper secrets that not all of the Kindred knew, that Caine was the child of the Snake, and that it was therefore the duty of all Kindred to serve the Great Serpent.

Lauren absorbed all this with interest, but decided that she had no interest in serving anyone but herself. Over the next century, she lived all over the world, in the centers of the Kindred's power, and quietly built up her wealth through all sorts of methods, criminal and legal. She also trained her vampiric powers, or disciplines, mostly so that she would know how to resist those who would use those powers on her. She didn't return to America until the Second World War broke out, taking up residence in Chicago at that time.

As the years passed, and the world grew stranger, Lauren found herself increasingly hedged in by the traditions of her kind. Inspired by the madness of the mid-sixties, she made herself known as a costumed villain in Chicago, only to fall prey to the Geist, who'd deduced her true nature. Fortunately, he wasn't as well-informed on the vulnerabilities of a vampire as he believed, thinking that simply staking her heart would put an end to her. One of her mortal servants removed the stake, and she fled her home, swallowing curses all the way.

The lesson, then, was that these costumed mortals were more dangerous than she'd realized. She still craved power and influence over the herd, but the way to gain it was to be invisible, as much as possible. So she began consolidating her assets, and founded Black Snake in the eighties, taking the name from the stories her sire had told her. When a decade had passed since the last sighting of the Geist, Lauren moved the corporate headquarters to Chicago. The rest of her preparations took another decade and a half, but when it was over, she had the authority granted her by the mayor, as well as the naked power of being named the Prince of Chicago by her fellow vampires.

Ever since then, she has quietly run things to her satisfaction, letting criminals roam free as long as they don't endanger her own operations. She takes a great deal of ironic pleasure in running the Outfit through the person of the vampire Al Capone. (As a further irony, Capone is a sincere seeker of a form of redemption thought possible for a vampire -- the concept Cainites call 'Golconda' -- and tries to minimize the worst of Lauren's activities.) She has even infiltrated and dominated the staffs of the five federal prisons in Illinois, so that she can release inmates there more or less at will.

However, recently things have changed. The Geist has returned. Unlike most fools, Lauren knows that this must be her old foe returned -- as one of the Kindred! (And one who bears her own strange curse, as proved by the way no one has been able to photograph him.) So she will face him, but in the form of a decidedly unvampiric supervillain, the Apparition, so that when they finally have it out, he will be vulnerable as he wasn't, back then. She can taste his blood already ... and has decided that she will drink him down to the depths of his soul.

Apparition -- PL 9

Abilities: STR 6/2 | STA - | AGL 4 | DEX 3 | FGT 10 | INT 3 | AWE 4 | PRE 3
Powers: Blood Drain (Weaken Stamina 6 [Resisted by Fortitude], Grab-Based, Limited to draining 1 rank per round), Keen Senses (Senses 1 [low-light vision]), Can't Be Photographed or Recorded (Concealment 6 [auditory and visual], Limited to machines), Undead (Immortality 6, Not when staked or beheaded; Immunity 30 [Fortitude effects]; Impervious Protection 3, Not against holy weapons or fire; Regeneration 10, Source [blood]), Vampiric Disciplines (Array: Perception Range Cumulative Affliction 9 [Resisted by Will; dazed, compelled, controlled], Triggered 2, AP: Visual Perception Area Cumulative Affliction 9 [Resisted by Will; impaired, disabled, paralyzed], AP: Enhanced Strength 4 AND Sustained Impervious Protection 5 AND Enhanced Advantages 4 [Improved Initiative 4] AND Quickness 3 AND Speed 4).
Equipment: Chains (Damaging Move Object 4; Movement 2 [safe fall; swinging]) and 4 other points of equipment as needed.
Advantages: Benefit 5 (Multi-millionaire, Prince of Chicago), Connected, Equipment 4, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Initiative 4, Languages 3, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Skill Mastery (Stealth).
Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+12), Athletics 6 (+12/+8), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+12), Deception 12 (+15), Expertise: Business 6 (+9), Insight 8 (+12), Intimidation 10 (+13), Investigation 6 (+9), Perception 6 (+10), Persuasion 9 (+12), Ranged Combat: Chain 3 (+6), Stealth 12 (+16).
Offense: Initiative +20/+4, Unarmed +12 (Close Damage 6/2), Blood Drain +12 (Close Fortitude 6), Dominating Gaze -- (Perception Range Will 9), Aura of Majesty (Perception Area Will 9).
Defense: Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude Immune, Toughness 8/3, Will 9.
Totals: Abilities 48 + Powers 84 + Advantages 22 + Skills 44 + Defenses 11 = 209 points
Complications: Power--Motivation. Berserk (unless fed frequently). Distinctive Feature (doesn't cast a reflection). Phobia (sunlight and fire). Secret (vampire). Secret Identity. Vulnerablity (Sunlight).
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

So the Carmarilla exist in your setting and Night Stalker’s a Ventrue.

I take that they’re are multiple types of vampire origins besides Cainespawn judging by Dracula?
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Well done on Appariton,canlt wait to see her face when she finds out it's more that one person......:D