Builds on the Sun (Xin Yan the Breaker)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
catsi563

Re: Builds on the Sun (Sapphire)

Post by catsi563 »

Actually she appears a couple of times past that.

theres one event she appears in and shes part of a Foxbat event where he uses a macguffin to make her marry him and you interrupt the wedding and have to fight the bride to free her.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
RainOnTheSun

Re: Builds on the Sun (Starfire)

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Jeez, I haven't used this thread in forever.

This one is sort of different: it's for another system, called Prowlers and Paragons. I was experimenting with converting characters from M&M, and I tried one of the PL 8 archetypes in Hero High. It was a simple build, and it came out a lot cheaper than the equivalent level in P&P would, but the archetype was clearly based off of Starfire, so I spent the extra points on making her more like the animated Starfire. And in the off chance that someone here might want to see it, here it is!

STARFIRE

Hero Package: 3D in all Abilities, 2D in all talents * 40 points

ABILITIES
Agility 6D, Intellect 3D, Might 5D, Perception 3D, Toughness 9D, Willpower 10D * 18 points

TALENTS
Academics 3D, Charm 5D, Command 3D, Covert 3D, Investigation 2D, Medicine 2D, Professional 2D, Science 4D, Streetwise 2D, Survival 2D, Technology 2D, Vehicles 3D * 8 points

POWERS
Blast 10D (Pro: Area, Con: Exclusive) * 11 points
Boost Might 10D (Con: Exclusive) * 4 points
Expertise (Academics: Tactics) 5D * 1 point
Evasion 10D * 2 points
Flight 8D * 8 points
Languages (Pro: Hyper Translation, Con: Conditional, requires skin contact) * 2 points
Immunity: Environmental, Life Support * 6 points

PERKS
None

FLAWS
Enemy/Relationship* - Troublemaking megalomaniac sister
Outsider
Quirk - Temper

Edge 9, Health 10, Resolve 1

She's built on a 10D trait cap, which is the suggested level for a low-powered superhero. The biggest difference from what she'd be as an M&M character is that Exclusive con on her Blast and her Boosted Might. Like an array in M&M, it means she can either zap things or throw buses, but not both at the same time. Unlike an array in M&M, it only saves two points. It's much more expensive to build a character who can do anything and everything in this system.
Rodzilla

Re: Builds on the Sun (Starfire)

Post by Rodzilla »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:48 am Jeez, I haven't used this thread in forever.

This one is sort of different: it's for another system, called Prowlers and Paragons.

Glad to see some write-ups out there using this system!!
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Hey, somebody else knows this system! I prefer it to Mutants and Masterminds, at least for now. I can't guarantee that will be a permanent opinion of mine, though: P&P's imperfections haven't had as long to wear on me as M&M's have had.
Davies

Post by Davies »

I've taken a look at it, but I'm fairly committed to what I'm using at the moment. (Also I are old.) It puts me in mind of WEG's DC Universe game, but I'm not sure if that's only superficial or not.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Rodzilla

Post by Rodzilla »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:27 am Hey, somebody else knows this system! I prefer it to Mutants and Masterminds, at least for now. I can't guarantee that will be a permanent opinion of mine, though: P&P's imperfections haven't had as long to wear on me as M&M's have had.
Indeed! I invested a lot in M&M, both time and money, and love its power building tools.. but I'm not into "levels" and the restrictions that confers. I was exposed to Cortex Prime (and its Cortex Plus parent vis-à-vis Marvel Heroic RPG) and while I'm still learning that system I have to say I thoroughly enjoy the approach it takes to narrative play. I happened across P&P:UE a few months back and that seemed to be a very nice compromise between M&M and Cortex.. although I would still love to have a chance to play a Cortex supers game. However, I don't think I can sell it to the usual people I play with. Anyway, thanks for sharing your P&P build. I'm always on the hunt for more!!
RainOnTheSun

Re: Builds on the Sun (Xin Yan the Breaker)

Post by RainOnTheSun »

https://twitter.com/pedroferrer_art/sta ... 6317700097

I saw a picture I liked and I decided to put stats to it.

XIN YAN THE BREAKER, Power Level 10

Abilities:
Strength 4, Stamina 6, Dexterity 1, Agility 7, Fighting 7, Intellect 1, Awareness 6, Presence 2 * 68 points

Advantages:
Attractive, Benefit (UNISON agent), Languages (Mandarin, English), Ranged Attack 6, Takedown * 10 points

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+9 or +16), Expertise (UNISON agent) 5 (+6), Investigation 6 (+7), Perception 1 (+7), Persuasion 4 (+6) * 9 points

Powers:
Leaping 3 * 3 points
- Speed 3 * 1 point
Organic steel body: Move Activation, Enhanced Strength 9, Protection 7, Impervious Toughness 13, Immunity 12 (critical hits, life support) * 50 points
- Chi manipulation: Strength-based Damage 2, Multiattack 6 (Quirk: cannot provide covering fire), Enhanced Agility 7, Enhanced Fighting 7, Ranged Damage 7 (Accurate) * 1 point

Offense:
Initiative +7 or +14
Chi bolt +9, Ranged Damage 7
Chi strikes +14, Close Multiattack Damage 6
Steel strikes +7, Close Damage 13
Throwing +7, variable effects

Defense:
Dodge 7 or 14, Parry 7 or 14, Toughness 6 or 13, Fortitude 10, Will 10

Complications:
Accident - Xin Yan's steel body is dangerously heavy and powerful, and her Breaker name is not generally used in a positive way.
Enemy (Overthrow)
Motivation (Justice)
Prejudice (Mutant)

Abilities 68 + Advantages 10 + Skills 9 + Powers 55 + Defenses 8 = 150 total

Young girl's father is killed by an evil globe-spanning organization, young girl grows up and decides to follow in her father's footsteps, young girl's mutant powers activate and have curious interactions with her martial arts training, young girl is alarmingly devoted to leg day.

Xin Yan is pretty low on skills and advantages, and probably around the "Street Fighter Alpha" stage of her career. She's a rookie agent, and likely to try to solve all her problems by kicking them one hundred times in a row while yelling.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Breaker, huh? ;)

Great character, clever way to cover both the striker and tank roles.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Davies wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:58 am Breaker, huh? ;)
Oh that's right, there's a martial arts manhwa by that name, isn't there? Honestly, I just picked it because I'd already called someone else the Destroyer, and when a six hundred pound steel woman starts somersaulting around and doing flip kicks you have to expect at least a little collateral damage. :)

It's not really something that endears her to her co-workers. But you never know when you'll need to hold up a collapsing building on a mission.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Here's a Prowlers and Paragons writeup I made for Xin Yan, too:

Superhero Package * 50 points

Abilities:
Agility 6d, Intellect 3d, Might 3d, Perception 7d, Toughness 3d, Willpower 9d * 13 points

Talents:
Academics 3d, Charm 6d, Command 3d, Covert 5d, Investigation 6d, Medicine 3d, Professional 3d, Science 3d, Streetwise 5d, Survival 3d, Technology 3d, Vehicles 3d * 10 points

Powers:
Immunity (Environmental, Life Support, Toxins, Conditional: Solid Form only) * 8 points
Leaping 4d or 8d * 2 points
Martial Arts 12d (Deflect, Exclusive) * 12 points
Running 4d * 1 point
Solid Form 12d (Exclusive) * 23 points
Weakness Detection * 3 points

Perks:
Authority * 3 points

Flaws:
Enemy* (Massive criminal organization)
Obligation* (International justice agency)
Secret (Agent of international justice agency)

Gear:
Pistol (8d Ranged)
Handcuffs, radio

Edge 13, Health 6 or 12, Resolve 2

Name: Xin Yan the Breaker
Motivation: Justice
Connections:
An American operative for the same Agency that Xin Yan often works with, but feels underestimated by
A martial arts teacher who Xin Yan is grateful to but beginning to suspect
A local friend with no idea what Xin Yan does for a living
Details:
Xin Yan wanted to be a concert pianist as a child, and she still practices daily.
Another Hero may have had dealings with the international justice agency before, as a friend or even as an enemy.
The person responsible for the death of Xin Yan's father is more powerful and dangerous than she would ever imagine.

Like the M&M version, she's built at the default starting level: 125 points and a 12d trait cap. There are differences that come from what's practical under the different rule sets, but the most obvious change is probably that P&P Xin Yan doesn't have a chi bolt but she's rather good with a 9mm.
Harnos

Re: Builds on the Sun

Post by Harnos »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 7:11 am Image

I'll hypnotize you with a little strip tease, and then judo chop, I'm swinging on you like the sixties!

SEXY BRICK, PL 10, 150 points

STRENGTH 12, STAMINA 12, DEXTERITY 0, AGILITY 2, FIGHTING 8, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE 3 * 78 points

Advantages:
Attractive 2, Power Attack, Set-Up, Taunt * 5 points

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+9), Deception 12 (+15, +20 w/Attractive), Expertise: Professional 6 (+7), Investigation 6 (+7), Perception 6 (+7), Persuasion 7 (+10, +15 w/Attractive), Ranged Combat: Throwing 8 (+8) * 26 points

Powers:
Impervious Toughness 8 * 8 points

Strong Legs - Speed 3, 1 AE * 4 points
Leaping 6 (Acrobatics Check Required)

Sucker Punch - Affliction 12 (Cumulative, Resisted by Fortitude, Limited to enemies who are Vulnerable or Defenseless, Limited Degree, Extra Condition; Impaired and Vulnerable, Disabled and Defenseless), Linked to Strength damage * 12 points

Tremendous Strength - Power-lifting 3, 1 AE * 4 points
Bracing - Sustained Impervious Toughness 3 (11 total)

Offense:
Initiative +2
Unarmed +8 (Close Damage 12, DC 27)
Sucker Punch +8 (Close Damage 12 And Affliction 12, DC 27 and DC 22)
Melee Weapon +8 (Close Damage variable)
Thrown Object +8 (Ranged Damage variable)

Defense:
Dodge +8, Parry +8, Toughness +12, Fortitude +12, Will +8 * 13 points

Possible Complications:
People Are Going To Stare At Me No Matter How I Dress - The Sexy Brick's skin and hair are frequently some strange (but flattering) color not found in nature. Even if this isn't the case, their Greek god and/or bodybuilding supermodel looks stand out anywhere they go.
Strongest One There Is - Bricks of both the sexy and non-sexy varieties have a thing about finding out who's the strongest. At least one other brick wants to defeat you, and will show up to do so at the worst possible times.
We Do Serious Work Here - The combination of no secret identity and some of the most physically destructive superpowers makes it hard for the Sexy Brick to maintain a steady career and/or school life.

Total: Abilities 78 + Advantages 5 + Skills 26 + Powers 28 + Defense 13 = 150

Playing a Sexy Brick is simple: First you hit them with the Sexy, then you hit them with the Brick. Feint an enemy, hit them with the Sucker Punch, and once the Sucker Punch takes effect, start Power Attacking and never stop. If the enemy happens to be flying out of your reach, or insubstantial, or punch-proof for any other reason, use Set-Up and transfer your benefit to a buddy who's more suited to doing the attacking. If you don't have a buddy, find someone who isn't your buddy and use your +20 deception to convince them that they are, in fact, your buddy.

The Sexy Brick has the skills to be useful out of combat, too. Investigation is included because gathering information goes well with a high Presence stat. For your professional Expertise, you might want to pick a career that also benefits from Presence. An actor, maybe. Or a lawyer.

With no area attacks or takedown, the Sexy Brick is at kind of a disadvantage against multiple enemies who can get past Impervious. Mobility is also relatively poor, for a superhero. Make a teleporting/flying/telekinetic friend who can ferry you around, or get used to using taxis a lot.
A character with a creative talent (sucker punch) effective both in combat and non-combat situations yet within the PC budget. Nice build.
RainOnTheSun

Re: Builds on the Sun (Xin Yan the Breaker)

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Thanks. I played a variant on this build in a game once, and it worked pretty well. Although it was a PBP, so it didn't see a lot of combat.