Shattered Light- The Mime, Comrade Industry, 'Radioactive Rabbi', Rocket Bunny and Slow Poke

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Spectrum

Shattered Light- The Mime, Comrade Industry, 'Radioactive Rabbi', Rocket Bunny and Slow Poke

Post by Spectrum »

So.. it was suggested that in order to get better that I need to start writing again. So, starting a thread for it. I've had a lot of characters bouncing around in my head. Some I'm proud of, some I wonder what I was thinking, but.. they're all incomplete. Maybe by writing something they can get fleshed out more. Maybe they will inspire other people. Dunno. We'll see.
Last edited by Spectrum on Tue May 23, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Skaramine

Re: Shattered Light- incomplete character ideas

Post by Skaramine »

I heartily recommend and endorse this idea.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Me, too. I don't have anything BUT incomplete character ideas. 8-)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Thanks guys!
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

The Mime

So lets start with the beginning. The Mime is actually the first character that came from the creative juices when I picked up DCAU. I'll often take elements from here and there and see what I can come up. In this case, I had read/viewed/etc an article that explained the origins of the mime artform. It was developed by some of the French resistance members in WW2 to keep children quiet and entertained.

The Mime is either a modern day incarnation of one of those French resistance fighters that has learned the mystical arts of miming. Powers would be based around creating areas of silence and creating invisible force effects. For example, creating a box to trap someone.

Complications would be based around duties and obligations, to the war effort or to being a modern hero. Maybe something related to keeping up the purity of miming- similar to one of the ongoing controversies in the clowning community. I can also see something there requiring silence as a form of proper mindset.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Comrade Industry

Quite some time ago, there was a WW2 Soviet game being shopped around on the boards. For whatever reason, I didn't apply for it but became obessed with a character concept. In this case, the inspirations were Animal Farm and one of the signature Alchemical Exalted characters.

Benjamin would be a farm boy, maybe Georgian? Maybe Jewish? that was completely devoted to the Communist ideal. Somehow imbued with great strength and endurance, his greatest power is in his ability to inspire his fellow workers. Friendly and with a great work ethic but not so much a mind for strategy. A hard worker, not a thinker. His infectious work ethic would allow those around him to work for long hours to achieve greatness for the People. (Area effect immunities, teamwork advantage, endurance, etc.) Probably far more ranks in lifting than in striking ability.

On the other hand, he would be Watched by the People's Party. They would use him and abuse his trust, driving him into the ground and killing him. Darn you for being a hard worker that we can depend on!
Psistrike

Re: Shattered Light- The Mime, Comrade Industry

Post by Psistrike »

Interesting, didn't know the origin of mimes. Plus a super-powered mime is always fun. And I can imagine the damage that Comrade Industry would do if tricked into working as the minion of a supervillain. All those projects the heroes normally stop before they get completed having a much shorter deadline.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I'm having fun coming up with scenarios where Comrade Industry would be working for a supervillain. The big thing is working around the idea that the right mindset is that the Soviets are the good guys. Nazis are bad guys. Life is simple. Casting him after the fall of the Soviet Union becomes a much different story.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Lots of projects I keep meaning to get to:
My idea for a kaiju and the problems with mechanics
Twisted Metal: Black The Animated Series
The fantasy races for the setting I've been working on for close to 20 years
Rick Jones/Jimmy Olsen meets Stan Lee
The obligatory rant on PL vs PP

Any of particular interest?
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I will do a couple of snapshots while I'm at it. Characters that have at least a surface level but not terribly well developed.

'Radioactive Rabbi'
The first is a twist on Magneto. Keep the Holocaust survivor and leader of his people, but turning a lot on its head. What if someone (a rabbi?) was able to devour toxins rather than control magnetism? I see him going in a very different direction. He would continue to be a spiritual leader but on a wider scale, trying to heal the Earth and be a proper shepard rather than a world conquering maniac. What if he could heal Three Mile Island or Chernobyl? I have no clue what that would look like mechanically.

Rocket Bunny and Slow Poke
Turning more Marvel characters on their head- growing up I liked the relationship between Cloak and Dagger. Kids from completely different backgrounds, playing on race, the uneven attraction- potential for great stuff. I've played around with these two for a while but never quite pinned them down. Gender? Sexuality? Race? Nationality? A couple of SoCal gay twinks? British chavs? South African zef? (*twitch* Now there's a frightening idea, basing them off of Die Antwoord.) What I do have a firmer grasp on is a relationship between their powers. Rocket Bunny would be a speedster that would become more effective based on the difference in relative speeds- the faster in comparison, the more powerful he gets. Slow Poke on the other hand would be based on slowing people dooooooown, lots of sticking them to the floor, maybe even some kind of area effect bullet time. Again, uhhh mechanics?

But I'm curious to hear what you guys think? Do either of the concepts have potential? How would you twist them?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Spectrum wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 10:30 pm I will do a couple of snapshots while I'm at it. Characters that have at least a surface level but not terribly well developed.

'Radioactive Rabbi'
The first is a twist on Magneto. Keep the Holocaust survivor and leader of his people, but turning a lot on its head. What if someone (a rabbi?) was able to devour toxins rather than control magnetism? I see him going in a very different direction. He would continue to be a spiritual leader but on a wider scale, trying to heal the Earth and be a proper shepard rather than a world conquering maniac. What if he could heal Three Mile Island or Chernobyl? I have no clue what that would look like mechanically.
That would be a Transform-based power ("radioactive material into non-radioactive material") possibly with Healing as an AP if he can also affect radiation in individuals. And the name is at least better than the Acidic Jew character that the author of Common Grounds came up with.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."