Spectrum's Dusty Shelf- WoD20, Star Wars, Exalted 2E

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Spectrum

Re: Spectrum's Dusty Shelf

Post by Spectrum »

@Shock- truuuuuue. But I'd hope that in nearly 50 years (1971), they'd have evolved past that stereotype. Then again, I might just be based on a small sample size.

I've been giving some thought to general direction of this thread. ~64 linear feet of shelf space, ~50GB more (albeit with a ton of repetition). Where should I build from? Pick something random off the 'dusty shelf' and hope it sparks some memories? Anything that people would like to see?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:09 am
Shock wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:38 am I'm going to have to get a copy of 5E eventually.
I would recommend it. It got me back into D&D again after 4E almost drove me off. I'm not as high on it at the moment, but I've played it a lot and I'm probably just bored. I've been playing a Monk for a couple of years and I'm just about at the dive into the dragon's mouth point so I can roll up something else. ;)

Nice to see you posting all this different stuff, Spectrum. Looking forward to more good stuff.
Seconded, although in my case I was already so fed up with 3.X that I jumped 4E and Pathfinder almost completely (I played them, but never got the books and didn't enjoy them much). 5E got me back into the fray, it's not a perfect edition by any mean, but it plays much smoother than any previous one and a LOT of things that bugged me in previous editions got a good makeover.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

System: Mage 20

Name: Pauline Lucas
Concept: Withdrawn Bibliomancer
Nature: Romantic
Demeanor: Mentor
Essence: Questing
Affiliation: Order of Hermes

Str 2, Dex 1, Sta 3, Cha 3, Man 1, App 4 (Adorkable), Per 2, Int 5 (Well Read), Wits 3

Talents: Art (Writing) 1, Awareness 2, Leadership 2

Skills: Etiquette 2, Martial Arts 2, Meditation 2, Research 4 (Arcane Collections)

Knowledge: Academics 4 (Liberal Arts), Cosmology 3, Enigmas 4 (Intuitive Leaps), Esoterica 4 (?), Investigation 1

Backgrounds: Allies (Spirits) 5, Avatar 3, Library 2

Arete 2
Willpower 5
Spheres: Forces 2, Mind 1, Spirit 2, Time 1

Merits: Hyperfocus (3), Spirit Magnet (4)

Flaws: Rivalry (3), Shy (1), Esoteric Discourse (1), Special Responsibility (1), Strangeness (1)

I've been playing with this concept for a while, little realizing just how much of a Disney Princess I've been making. Not sure if that's a good thing! While Order of Hermes mages are known for being bookish pointy hat types, Pauline takes it a step forwards. Horribly shy with her peers and betters, she'd much rather stay in the library that she tends. They in turn realize that she will never make a real contribution to the Order, they are happy to keep her in the library that she loves so much, helping in research and in tutoring apprentices. Her rival is one sided, a peer that wants to keep her down so that they can look better. Pauline doesn't realize that it's happening.

Other aspects:
A. I've been thinking of having Pauline as a female identifying hermaphrodite, it's a very Order of Hermes thing.

B. At least one parent is in the chantry, she was raised there without much exposure to the real world.

C. Pauline looses herself in stories of heroism and adventure. Dreaming of what she could be.. but the real world is scary. She's started writing fanfic.. poorly. Most of her heroes are poorly veiled self insert Mary Sues.

D, In further Disney fashion, she's popular with small nature and knowledge spirits. Probably too popular. They have yet to craft her a gown and turn a pumpkin into a limousine. Any day now.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Spectrum wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:25 am She's started writing fanfic. poorly.
You say that like there's any other way.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Good question, would good fanfics be a vulgar effect?
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Depends on who writes them. Id like to think my writing skills rate a not bad on the story and plot elements as well as the basic grammar :P
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

System: Werewolf 20

Name: Hits Like Garbage Truck "Clifford"
Concept: Big Friendly Garou

In homid form, looking at pictures of Mick Foley at his worst, Vlad from Hack/Slash, Marv from Sin City. Not just appearance 1 ugly, but bruiser beaten to hell appearance 0.

Breed: Lupus, Auspice: Ahroun, Tribe: Bone Gnawers
Gnosis: 5, Rage: 6, Will: 6
Glory 2, Honor 1, Wisdom 0

Str 4/6/8/7/5 (Unstoppable), Sta 4/6/7/7/6 (Unbreakable), Dex 2/2/3/4/4
Cha 3, Man 2/0/0/0/0, App 0
Int 1, Wits 3, Per 4 (Instinctual)

Traits: Alertness 2, Athletics 4 (Lupus), Brawl 4 (Tooth and Claw), Intimidate 2, Primal Urge 3, Streetwise 2
Skills: Animal Ken 3, Stealth 3, Survival 3
Knowledges: Enigmas 1, Medicine 2, Rituals 2

Backgrounds: Kinfolk 2, Mentor 1, Spirit Heritage (Urban) 2, Totem 5

Gifts: Sense Prey, Razor Claws, Desperate Strength

Merits: Natural Weapons, Inner Strength
Flaws: Animal Musk, Monstrous, Pack Mentality

Mechanics Note: Some of the specialities need work. Right direction but maybe too broad.

Big, looks like he didn't stop chasing the bus in time, smells nasty, doesn't know own strength, overly friendly puppy garou.
Last edited by Spectrum on Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spectrum

Re: Spectrum's Dusty Shelf- WoD 20 Anniversary builds

Post by Spectrum »

System: Werewolf 20th

Name: Vasily Petrovich Dashkov
Concept: Privilege Becomes Prison

Sabin Duvert by fuchsiart

Homid, Theurge, Silver Fang
Gnosis 5, Rage 2, Will 3
Glory 0, Honor 0, Wisdom 3

Str 2, Dex 2, Sta 2
Cha 4 (Captivating), Man 2, App 4 (Noble)
Per 2, Int 2, Wits 4 (Detached)

Talents: Athletics 1, Empathy 3, Expression 3, Leadership 3, Subterfuge 3
Skills: Animal Ken 1, Etiquette 4 (Tribal), Melee 1, Performance 1
Knowledges: Academics 2, Enigmas 2, Occult 2, Rituals 3

Backgrounds: Pure Breed 5, Rites 2, Resources 2

Gifts: Persuasion, Spirit Speech, Inspiration

Merits: Language (Russian), Natural Leader, Supporter, Spirit Magnet
Flaws: Absent Minded, Enemy (3), Slip Sideways

Vasily Petrovich Dashov had one job in life- to be a trophy husband- and he failed. Catastrophically. He had the proper breeding, he had the proper schooling, everything that was needed to be a pretty piece of art on the arm of a proper Silver Fang princess. The family hadn't had any garou for generations. Arranged marriages resulted in garou but not direct births. That is where he failed; on his wedding night, Changing and becoming a Litany breaker; as well as his new bride. His host family has had to work to hide this shame, this break of contract, and have the social standing to make his life in the new world very unpleasant. The spirit world calls to him, allowing him escape, at the cost of him not working to improve his social standing. He has been trained to be a pack alpha and yet, yet his own desires lie elsewhere.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Spectrum wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:25 am System: Mage 20

Name: Pauline Lucas
Concept: Withdrawn Bibliomancer
Nature: Romantic
Demeanor: Mentor
Essence: Questing
Affiliation: Order of Hermes

Str 2, Dex 1, Sta 3, Cha 3, Man 1, App 4 (Adorkable), Per 2, Int 5 (Well Read), Wits 3

Talents: Art (Writing) 1, Awareness 2, Leadership 2

Skills: Etiquette 2, Martial Arts 2, Meditation 2, Research 4 (Arcane Collections)

Knowledge: Academics 4 (Liberal Arts), Cosmology 3, Enigmas 4 (Intuitive Leaps), Esoterica 4 (?), Investigation 1

Backgrounds: Allies (Spirits) 5, Avatar 3, Library 2

Arete 2
Willpower 5
Spheres: Forces 2, Mind 1, Spirit 2, Time 1

Merits: Hyperfocus (3), Spirit Magnet (4)

Flaws: Rivalry (3), Shy (1), Esoteric Discourse (1), Special Responsibility (1), Strangeness (1)

I've been playing with this concept for a while, little realizing just how much of a Disney Princess I've been making. Not sure if that's a good thing! While Order of Hermes mages are known for being bookish pointy hat types, Pauline takes it a step forwards. Horribly shy with her peers and betters, she'd much rather stay in the library that she tends. They in turn realize that she will never make a real contribution to the Order, they are happy to keep her in the library that she loves so much, helping in research and in tutoring apprentices. Her rival is one sided, a peer that wants to keep her down so that they can look better. Pauline doesn't realize that it's happening.

Other aspects:
A. I've been thinking of having Pauline as a female identifying hermaphrodite, it's a very Order of Hermes thing.

B. At least one parent is in the chantry, she was raised there without much exposure to the real world.

C. Pauline looses herself in stories of heroism and adventure. Dreaming of what she could be.. but the real world is scary. She's started writing fanfic.. poorly. Most of her heroes are poorly veiled self insert Mary Sues.

D, In further Disney fashion, she's popular with small nature and knowledge spirits. Probably too popular. They have yet to craft her a gown and turn a pumpkin into a limousine. Any day now.
Speaking as an old World of Darkness fanatic—-this is awesome. If somebody were to run a 20th Anniversary oWoD game here, I would be ecstatic.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

System: Vampire 20

Name: Donald Washington
11th Generation Toreador
Concept: Voice of an Angel, Doing What it Takes to Survive
Nature: Conniver, Demeanor: Child

Str 2, Dex 2, Sta 2
Cha 4 (Nonthreatening), Man 3, App 3
Per 3, Int 2, Wits 3

Talents: Empathy 3, Expression 4 (Conversation), Leadership 3, Streetwise 2, Subterfuge 4 (Long Con)
Skills: Etiquette 1, Larceny 1, Performance 5 (Singing)
Knowledges: Academics 3 (Religion), Law 3 (Traditions), Politics 3 (Camarilla)

Backgrounds: Generation 2, Influence 1, Resources 2, Retainers 1, Status 2

Virtues: Conscience 3, Self Control 3, Courage 4, Humanity 6, Willpower 6

Disciplines: Presence 3

Merits: Enchanting Voice, Sanctity
Flaws: Child, Short

Donald (never Donnie) was going to make it. He was going to get out of the worst parts of town and he was going to go to college. He stayed away from the gangs, he studied in school, he sang in Church. This last piece attracted attention. His sire watched Donald carefully, knowing all too well that maturity stole the voice of too many young men. In older days, turning the young man into a castrato was an option; but an Embrace could preserve things. It was tempting, each day risking the chance of that golden voice being lost. The decision was made by outside forces beyond the Sires control- a stray bullet ripping through a bedroom window, Donald lying dying upon the ground, this precious voice could not be lost.. and so Donald was Embraced. Donald has attempted to continue on in his previously chosen path but has proven too difficult. Too many threats out there. He has taken to staying in Elysiums, feeling oddly safe among chained Beasts.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Spectrum wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:35 pm Good question, would good fanfics be a vulgar effect?
The Paradox backlash would be epic.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Spectrum wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:47 pm System: Werewolf 20

Name: Hits Like Garbage Truck "Clifford"
Concept: Big Friendly Garou

In homid form, looking at pictures of Mick Foley at his worst, Vlad from Hack/Slash, Marv from Sin City. Not just appearance 1 ugly, but bruiser beaten to hell appearance 0.

Breed: Lupus, Auspice: Ahroun, Tribe: Bone Gnawers
Gnosis: 5, Rage: 8, Will: 8
Glory 2, Honor 1, Wisdom 0

Str 4/6/8/7/5 (Unstoppable), Sta 4/6/7/7/6 (Unbreakable), Dex 2/2/3/4/4
Cha 3, Man 2/0/0/0/0, App 0
Int 1, Wits 3, Per 4 (Instinctual)

Traits: Alertness 2, Athletics 4 (Lupus), Brawl 4 (Tooth and Claw), Intimidate 1, Primal Urge 2, Streetwise 2
Skills: Animal Ken 3, Stealth 3, Survival 3
Knowledges: Enigmas 1, Medicine 2, Rituals 2

Backgrounds: Kinfolk 2, Mentor 1, Spirit Heritage (Urban) 2, Totem 5

Gifts: Sense Prey, Razor Claws, Desperate Strength

Merits: Natural Weapons, Inner Strength
Flaws: Animal Musk, Monstrous, Pack Mentality

Mechanics Note: Some of the specialities need work. Right direction but maybe too broad.

Big, looks like he didn't stop chasing the bus in time, smells nasty, doesn't know own strength, overly friendly puppy garou.
....a big, friendly Bone Gnawer, who, at a moment’s notice, can enter frenzy (Rage 8? Damn.) and turn into a 9-foot-tall Stone Age killing machine so terrifying most peopke’s brains go into overdrive to blot the whole thing out.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Spectrum wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:35 pm System: Werewolf 20th

Name: Vasily Petrovich Dashkov
Concept: Privilege Becomes Prison

Sabin Duvert by fuchsiart

Homid, Theurge, Silver Fang
Gnosis 5, Rage 2, Will 3
Glory 0, Honor 0, Wisdom 3

Str 2, Dex 2, Sta 2
Cha 4 (Captivating), Man 2, App 4 (Noble)
Per 2, Int 2, Wits 4 (Detached)

Talents: Athletics 1, Empathy 3, Expression 3, Leadership 3, Subterfuge 3
Skills: Animal Ken 1, Etiquette 4 (Tribal), Melee 1, Performance 1
Knowledges: Academics 2, Enigmas 2, Occult 2, Rituals 3

Backgrounds: Pure Breed 5, Rites 2, Resources 2

Gifts: Persuasion, Spirit Speech, Inspiration

Merits: Language (Russian), Natural Leader, Supporter, Spirit Magnet
Flaws: Absent Minded, Enemy (3), Slip Sideways

Vasily Petrovich Dashov had one job in life- to be a trophy husband- and he failed. Catastrophically. He had the proper breeding, he had the proper schooling, everything that was needed to be a pretty piece of art on the arm of a proper Silver Fang princess. The family hadn't had any garou for generations. Arranged marriages resulted in garou but not direct births. That is where he failed; on his wedding night, Changing and becoming a Litany breaker; as well as his new bride. His host family has had to work to hide this shame, this break of contract, and have the social standing to make his life in the new world very unpleasant. The spirit world calls to him, allowing him escape, at the cost of him not working to improve his social standing. He has been trained to be a pack alpha and yet, yet his own desires lie elsewhere.
Does Vasily have a metis kid, or was their Litany-braking not, um, fruitful?
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Thanks Hoid, it's been fun going back over the new versions of the old games. oWoD was my major game system for many many years, whether tabletop, online gaming (MUSHs, MUXs, etc), and finally spent many years playing and running LARP (Camarilla).

Any particular favorites among the old games?

One of my biggest challenges is in coming up with backgrounds in isolation. It is soooo much easier working within a game setting and bouncing ideas off of other players.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Hoid wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:44 am ....a big, friendly Bone Gnawer, who, at a moment’s notice, can enter frenzy (Rage 8? Damn.) and turn into a 9-foot-tall Stone Age killing machine so terrifying most peopke’s brains go into overdrive to blot the whole thing out.
Yeah, probably too high. I ran into a problem of depth vs breadth of character concept. I ran into a problem of trying to figure out where to spend freebies without staying within the (too?) limited concept.

Any suggestions?