The Jabverse: An O.C. Thread (Cyber-Samurai, Lady of the Eternal Winter)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Skaramine

Re: The Jabverse: An O.C. Thread (Dr. Reverb, Teen Guard, The Infinite Sadness)

Post by Skaramine »

It also can be updates or changed story to story.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
Jabroniville

Vampires

Post by Jabroniville »

VAMPIRES
Role:
Animalistic Mooks
PL 7 (77)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+9)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+9)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+6)
Intimidation 10 (+7)
Perception 6 (+6)
Stealth 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Startle

Powers:
"Vampire Physiology"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 7 [7]

Regeneration 8 (Flaws: Source- Blood) [5]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Senses 4 (Darkvision, Extended & Acute Scent) [4]
"Feast on the Living- Drain Blood" Weaken Strength 6 (Flaws: Grab-Based) (Inaccurate -1) [2]
Features 1: All Attacks Count As Magical [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Weaken Strength +7 (+6 Weaken, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +7, Fortitude --, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (Feeding)- Vampires are known to only be focused on feeding and survival.
Weakness (Garlic)- Vampires will not enter domiciles with garlic placed around the entrances, and the mere scene of it will send them fleeing, even outdoors.
Weakness (Silver)- Silver or Holy weapons do extra damage to vampires.
Weakness (Slaying the Leader)- Slaying a Vampire will immediately kill any Vampires that it itself had created- killing the progenitor can eliminate hundreds in this manner.
Power Loss (Regeneration; Fire/Holy/Garlic/Silver)- Anything laced with garlic or silver will halt a Vampire's Regeneration. Fire and anything Holy will do so as well.

Total: Abilities: 2 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 51 / Defenses: 4 (77)

-Vampires are famous in myth and legend the world over- even romanticized in some Victorian tales, which has extended to the modern day, viewing these creatures as tragic, even noble beings, cursed to feed on the living. They are thought of as seductive, confident and cultured, with a few real-life people being thought of as vampires (such as the infamous Vlad the Impaler of Wallachia). However, nothing could be further from the truth- the earliest myths are the correct ones. Vampires are literally soulless monstrosities- deceased humans brought back to a horrific parody of life by a demonic curse that began in Eastern Europe, but has spread over much of the world. Contrary to popular belief, vampires cannot even speak.

-A true vampire is strong, pale, and inhuman, lacking most of the recognizable characteristics the person had in life. They have no genitalia, stooped posture, and a mouth that opens from nose to chest, revealing a large, spongy gullet. Near-unthinking monsters, they have only animalistic intelligence with certain survival instincts- they typically feed on the living, draining blood through these horrifying mouths. Victims will themselves raise as vampires after a few weeks, unless certain precautions and rituals are observed.

-Vampires are well-hidden in day-to-day activities, as they may return to the form of a deceased person at-will, awakening only when they choose to. They often choose this moment upon their return to the grave- all the better to hide from reprisal. Typically, people will not know what has happened until it is too late- dead bodies will pile up, and themselves rise from their graves after a few weeks, leading to more victims. Vampire Hunters are therefore constantly vigilant in large metropolitan areas, as these rare occurences are known to spring up en masse periodically.

-"Vampire Hunters" are often known to be charlatans (something that annoys the legitimate among them), particularly since many "Vampires" began popping up all over the superhero world during the 1970s. These were not true Vampires at all, but a random assortment of people (some with powers; some without) that deliberately mimicked Vampire behavior to trick people into thinking they were tragic, "deep" beings. Most used it to gain female attention. This grew so pervasive that "Vampire" has become a Dead Trope in the "Super" Communities. Even more than people who refuse to wear costumes ("Trenchcoaters") are the "Vampire Kids" mercilessly teased- even mainstream superheroes (usually above the petty politics of the "game") laugh when they see some pale douchebag attempting to act deep and Transylvanian, especially if he enacts Vampire Stereotypes (only being seen at night; talks about how old he is; acts all grim). Most super-villains and super-heroes who've tried it have long since retired, especially as even the general public now knows what real Vampires are like.

-Garlic, Silver and Holy weapons are the only known weaknesses of Vampires. They have no known vulnerability to sunlight (they are nocturnal because of their eyesight and the ease of remaining stealthy), can visit any buildings into which they can force entry, and more. They are extremely strong and durable, and their hook-like fangs and sharp talons (their hands resemble those of the Aye-Aye- a rare species of lemur) puncture the flesh of their victims, allowing them to suck out the blood.

-The origins of Vampires are largely unknown- at least three different individuals have been privy to the knowledge of their beginnings, but all three tales are completely contradictory. The hero Silverwolf met the legendary Vlad the Impaler, who claimed to have invented the curse himself, via dark sorcery. The Emerald Witch, while investigating another vampire infestation, discovered the Demon who claimed to have created the curse to punish humanity. And during a bout of time travel, members of the Legion of Light and Four Fatales encountered a mad alchemist who accidentally created the first ones. Which of these three is correct is unknown, though a few crackpots have created some outlandish, convoluted theories that allow all three to be the "correct" answer.

Jab's Notes: Yes, I created a deliberate continuity error in their origin story. This is a COMIC BOOK UNIVERSE, after all- you're required to have tons of contradictory storytelling, ya know :). And there's even the "Marvunapp"-style "trying to fit it all together" types trying to set the pieces in place and make a consistent origin- poor bastards.

-Vampires, as you may remember, are something I absolutely loathe. The idea of drinking blood is COMPLETELY DISGUSTING- as bad as if they were literally sucking the feces out of people's asses- so I can't fathom finding even the Monica Bellucciest of Vampire Temptresses tempting. I grew so sick of seeing them permeate every aspect of the medium (even before "Twilight" robbed them of their last shred of credibility) that I eventually just swore off "Vampire Stories" entirely- the quickest thing to get me to stop being interested in a story is to tell me that in includes Vampires. I hate them. HATE stories featuring them, think they're gross, and think they're over-used. The way some people feel about the endless superhero movies. I basically consider it a dealbreaker these days- I just won't consume any media featuring them.

-THEREFORE, I found it amusing to create a completely inhuman, non-speaking, animalistic vampire that's more a "Del Toro" monster than a seductive Lugosi wannabe. This renders it completely impossible for anyone to conceive of a more "typical" vampire- moreover, I wrote it into their backstory that anyone TRYING that is immediately and mercilessly teased. Just in case anyone tries it.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
statue345

Re: The Jabverse: An O.C. Thread (The Infinite Sadness, Vampires)

Post by statue345 »

It would be hilarious if a "typical" vampire came in from another dimension or whatever, only to be completely at a loss as to why nobody takes him seriously.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

statue345 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:44 am It would be hilarious if a "typical" vampire came in from another dimension or whatever, only to be completely at a loss as to why nobody takes him seriously.
Heh :). Yeah, they'd be all like legitimately whining about their curse forcing them to take the blood of the innocent, and everyone's just mocking them and telling them to come out into the light :).
Nunya B

Post by Nunya B »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:03 am
statue345 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:44 am It would be hilarious if a "typical" vampire came in from another dimension or whatever, only to be completely at a loss as to why nobody takes him seriously.
Heh :). Yeah, they'd be all like legitimately whining about their curse forcing them to take the blood of the innocent, and everyone's just mocking them and telling them to come out into the light :).
Speaking fake vampires, your sample vampire appears to be a techno-savant impersonator. That or you gave it the wrong Advantages block.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Nunya B wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:14 am
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:03 am
Speaking fake vampires, your sample vampire appears to be a techno-savant impersonator. That or you gave it the wrong Advantages block.
aw hell, that's annoying. Spent too much time on the bio, and ended up skipping the Advantages entirely.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

It's hard to believe that it was as recent as 1997 when Buffy: The Vampire Slayer revealed -- more than halfway through the first season! -- that Angel was a vampire-with-a-soul the concept was actually still quite novel. Sure, the guilty vampire who was (anti-)heroic had been done in Forever Knight on Canadian TV, Blade in Marvel Comics, and Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire novel and the 1994 movie... But, really, that was about it.

I'm an unashamed Buffy fan, but, the whole Twilight phenomenon mystifies me... And it's also kind of Buffy's fault. Sorry.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

So I'm totes gonna run a game in this universe, I think, but I'm thinking- do I need to do an "Interested?" thread first, or go right to recruiting?
Jabroniville

Aggro

Post by Jabroniville »

A balding, tall-ish "fireplug"-shaped big guy with a yellow singlet with blue fire on it.

AGGRO
Hgt:
6'4" Wgt: 450 lbs.
Role: Big Dumb Powerhouse
PL 10 (130)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA 9 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 2 (+2)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 8 (+8)

Advantages:
Close Combat, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Aggro Field" Affliction 10 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Reaction +3, Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Selective) (Flaws: Limited to Aggression, Untargeted) [50]
"Raw Toughness" Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 5) [6]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Aggro Field +10 Area (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +10 (+3 Impervious), Fortitude +9, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Reputation (Bully)- Aggro is known to bully and pick on anyone less powerful than himself, especially if they're also smaller in size.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 56 / Defenses: 11 (130)

-Aggro is a moderate-level fighter with the Ultimate Wrestling League (and the Intergalactic Wrestling Federation), winning the Intercontinental Title a few times. However, he is one of the most important names on the card, as he is the only one who can guarantee performances by known superheroes- with his patented "Aggro Field" (the result of alien experimentation about the roots of human aggression), he can agitate nearly anyone into a fighting state, causing them to get into public brawls with UWL wrestlers- this has allowed "honorable" people like Meteor Hammer, Mega Woman and others to fight in highly-profitable spectacles.

Jab's Notes: A means to an end, Aggro is also based off of my childhood wrestling federation- Aggro was set up more as a "Bam Bam Bigelow"-type sub-tier powerhouse, and had a huge feud with the 1-2-3 Kid (yes, I included real guys in the fed), where the powerhouse lost the IC Title in a fluke to the smaller Kid, then won the title back, then lost it again, etc., in an ongoing feud that ended up with him turning babyface against the rest of Bobby Heenan's faction. Alas, I sort of lost interest in him and dropped the character, despite the interesting story arc- something I always regretted.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

So,you gonna count the heroes that get into The Victory League as Jabverse Cannon?You might need to adjust some O.C.'s if you do.... ;)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:22 pm So,you gonna count the heroes that get into The Victory League as Jabverse Cannon?You might need to adjust some O.C.'s if you do.... ;)
Heh- I might. It was really intended to be my own personal universe, especially as everyone else has ideas for their OCs anyhow, but it could work :).
Jabroniville

Cyber-Samurai

Post by Jabroniville »

ORIGINAL CHARACTER- DO NOT STEAL

CYBER-SAMURAI (Mitsuharu Kazama)
Hgt:
6'2" Wgt: 375 lbs. (Formerly 5'8", 145 lbs.)
Role: Honorable Warrior, Cybernetic Fighter, "Once A Man" Guy
PL 11 (166)
STRENGTH
2/8 STAMINA 4/7 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+13)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+13)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Samurai) 11 (+12)
Expertise (The Arts) 6 (+7)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 8 (+11)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 5 (+8)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Assessment, Diehard, Equipment 4 (Samurai Gear- "Laser Bow" Blast 5), Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Swords) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 5, Startle, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Advanced Cybernetics"
Enhanced Strength 6 [12]
Enhanced Stamina 3 [6]
Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 7) [9]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]

"Magnetic Soles" Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) (Flaws: Limited to Along Metallic Surfaces) [1]
"Mechanical Sensors" Senses 4 (Infravision, Extended Vision, Extended Hearing, Radio Sense) [4]

"Vibro-Katana & Vibro-Wakizashi" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [9]
"Daisho Slice" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical, Split) (Extras: Penetrating 10) (13 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Vibro-Blades +11 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Laser Bow +8 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +9 (+4 Impervious), Fortitude +7, Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility (Man Out Of Time)- Mitsuharu was born in feudal-era Japan, and was raised in a culture of samurai, bushido and strictly regimented rules. Even in modern Japan, he is completely out of his element, speaking an older form of Japanese and using manners that are no longer common.
Responsibilty ("Once A Man...")- Mitsuharu is now a cyborg- almost completely replaced by mechanical parts. He often feels like a freak.
Responsibility (Politeness)- Though Samurai of his era could often be rude and dishonorable, Mitsuharu holds fast to the ideals as he knows them. He consistently meets his opponents (even robots) in combat by announcing his name, lineage and fighting style, and acts in a manner befitting someone of his social class. From hundreds of years ago.
Responsibility (High-Tech)- The robotics that saved Mitsuharu's life are so advanced that almost everyone in the field wants to study him. Some are honorable sorts with the best of intentions (cybernetics can save and enrich lives, after all), while others have dissection (or worse, vivisection) in mind, attempting to steal his gifts for their own benefit.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 24 / Powers: 45 / Defenses: 14 (166)

Origin:
-Mitsuharu Kazama was a young Samurai from a noble house in feudal-era Japan. Trained by his beloved uncle, he held fast to the rules and expectations of his social and warrior class, though his uncle, a cynic, constantly needled him about his position, noting that survival was more important than things like honor. Despite that, "Mitsu" could only watch as his uncle sacrificed his own like to save his nephew- cut down by a monstrous foe from another world, as their region of Japan was cast into the battle known as "The Time War".

-The Time War took place when a Cosmic Entity broke the most sacred law of the universe and moved through time in order to grasp total power- when he was opposed by some of the Olympian Pantheon and their superhero emissaries in The Legion of Light (as well as heroes from other worlds), various regions and eras were conflated into one- feudal Japan in Mitsuharu's hometown was one of these. They encounted some of the Legion, who befriended the young samurai. Unfortunately, almost everyone was killed by otherworldly monsters, Mitsu saw his beloved uncle die, and he himself was burned alive in his attempts to get revenge. The rest of the Legion arrived to save what remained, but mourned the loss of their friend... until allies from a future time announced that they had the ability to save him. Mitsu's charred body was taken and literally rebuilt using advanced technology- even his precious family heirloom Daisho, the katana and wakizashi he was so intensely proud of (causing much chiding from his uncle), were re-forged into new blades- using vibrational technology that rendered them into super-weapons. Mitsuharu was reborn, though 90% of his body was destroyed, leaving an artificial heart, limbs, and much of his torso- only his face and brain remained his own.

-Mitsuharu was bereft at his losses, and contemplated taking his own life, but a "time spectre" (or perhaps, as Mitsu though, a real ghost) of his uncle appeared before him, chiding him to be practical, and reminded him of his giri- blood debt- to the Legion. Mitsu, as Cyber-Samurai, then armed himself with his Vibro-Daisho and joined the final battle, taking down numerous enemies, including the general of the Cosmic Entity. When the dust settled, he was trapped in the Legion's timeline, futuristic to his own. Leaving his remaining family members in modern Japan (where they became cared for, and even celebrities), he joined the Legion for a time, but never stops searching for a way to find his home time period, however much of an outsider he feels.

-Cyber-Samurai is a kind-hearted, noble character who represents the best ideals of the samurai, if not the practicality that a warrior should respect. He is serious and introspective to the point of parody, and obsesses over self-perfection and "Defeating Strong Opponents In Order to Become Stronger". Even his most stoic allies chuckle when he navel-gazes and says things like "What does it mean to become stronger?".

Jab's Notes: Cyber-Samurai is a guy I "invented" eons ago, largely because I was building a "Justice League"-like team, wanted an extra guy, and just ripped off the O.C.C. from "Rifts Japan" into a superhero universe. I mean, a cybernetic samurai is EXACTLY the kind of thing that fits into comic books' "Sandbox Setting", is it not? Alas, I never really thought of anything to DO with the character, or even his origins beyond "time-tossed samurai turned into a cyborg", until literally the moment I sat down at my computer here and typed up what you see above. I knew I kind of wanted an "Idealized Samurai" in addition to the whole "Once A Man" cliche, but I also knew that there was more to the Samurai than the mythical "Code of Bushido" (which itself was only rarely upheld)... so I of course made him kind of a naive stickler to this "tradition", but left in more cynical, practical characters to poke fun at him for it.

-This makes me realize that I actually have a lot of Asian characters on my main superhero team (him, Night Dragon, plus another, Electrical-themed character I'm still working on), which isn't something I did deliberately, but works out okay, since only TWO of them are based off of cultural stereotypes :). I turned Cyber-Samurai here into a PL 11, fairly balanced warrior- doing tons of damage but still being fairly mobile and hard to hit. Effectively, a martial warrior with added durability.
Yojimbo

Re: The Jabverse: An O.C. Thread (Vampires, Aggro, Cyber-Samurai)

Post by Yojimbo »

That's the kind of origin you can only find in a 4-color crossover. It's like Volcana and Titania and Spider-Woman coming out of the original Secret Wars.
Thorpocalypse

Re: The Jabverse: An O.C. Thread (Vampires, Aggro, Cyber-Samurai)

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Bump. We gotta be able to see who Jab might be throwing at the Victory League! ;)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum