The Jabverse: An O.C. Thread (Cyber-Samurai, Lady of the Eternal Winter)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Southbound Pachyderm

Post by Jabroniville »

SOUTHBOUND PACHYDERM (Brian Delvecchio)
Hgt:
6'0" Wgt: 250 lbs.
Role: Powerhouse Powersuit, Sidekicker
PL 10 (134)
STRENGTH
2/10 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 1/-1
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 2 (+3)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+9)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+8)
Insight 1 (+3)
Intimidation 0 (+1, +4 Size)
Perception 3 (+5)
Technology 5 (+9)
Vehicles 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Goliath Beetle Powersuit" (Flaws: Removable) [56]
"Huge Size" Growth 3 (Str & Toughness +3, +3 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -0 Fighting, -1 Dodge, -3 Stealth, Reach 1) -- (12 feet) (12)

Enhanced Strength 5 (10)
Protection 5 (Extras: Impervious 11) (16)
Flight 1 (4 mph) (2)
"Sensors" Senses 3 (Infravision, Radius Sight, Ranged Touch) (3)
Movement 1 (Sure-Footed) (2)
"Trunk" Extra Limb 1 (1)

"Laser Cannons" Blast 9 (Feats: Split) (Extras: Penetrating 6) (25) -- (28)
AE: "Cyber-Tusks" Strength-Damage +1 (Extras: Penetrating 6) (7)
AE: "Missiles" Blast 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (24)
AE: "Shoulder Guns" Blast 6 (Feats: Accurate) (Extras: Multiattack) (19)

"Suit Flaws"
Stealth -2 (-1)
Agility -2 (-4)
-- (69 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+2 Damage, DC 18)
Powersuit Strength +9 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Tusks +7 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Shoulder Guns +11 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Laser Cannons +9 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Missiles +10 Area (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +1 (-1 Suit)

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (+6 Suit, DC 19-16), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +4 (+11 Suit, +6 Impervious), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (The Lifestyle)- Brian loves the "Super" lifestyle, and enjoys getting into fights with other superhumans. However, he prefers fighting genuinely-bad people.
Reputation (Sidekicker)- Brian got into trouble early-on for trying to "team-up" with experienced heroes, and this bred a good deal of resentment in him.
Relationship (Runaround Sue)- Brian is pathologically in love with his teammate, but her brassy confidence and looks prevent him from being open about it.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 56 / Defenses: 15 (134)

-Brian Delvecchio is an intelligent, hero-worshipping young man who idolized costumed characters, and would do anything to become one. So desperate was he that he spent his life savings on a Rhinoceros Beetle Powersuit from Professor Mantis himself- using his own intellect to modify the suit into something else, he created the Southbound Pachyderm suit. Borderline penniless, he became a roving do-gooder and random fighter, but found that he lacked the necessary skills (chiefly, Insight & Persuasion) required of a superhero. He became known as a general nuisance to superheroes; a "Sidekicker" who attempted team-ups and "impromptu" gatherings of heroes. After being told off (sometimes rather cruelly, other times politely), he got frustrated, losing his nerve. He finally found The Infinite Sadness, a group of youths who desired the "Super-Lifestyle"- though not a committed criminal, he reveled in acts of public power-showings and brawling.

Jab's Notes: Took me a while to figure out what the origin of this guy was- he spent like a year in my head just as a name, because of that damn quirky Primus song from the early '90s :). I decided on a Powersuit pretty soon, but that was it. Actually doing his build, I came up with the link to Professor Mantis (I also wanted to have SOME actual named characters using his designs- having "Sells Powersuits to Dickholes" as a concept is great, but I didn't want it to be an "In Name Only" thing where you rarely SEE it on named characters)... then I shifted him into being a Sidekicker, since I ALSO wanted to have actual "named characters" be THAT, as well. It works better as a real example and not just a minor thing you throw out there.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Skaramine

Re: The Jabverse: An O.C. Thread (Dr. Reverb, Teen Guard, The Infinite Sadness)

Post by Skaramine »

Southbound Pachyderm is a great name and a great look!

I also like the hint of "Dr. Mantis."
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Skaramine wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:23 am Southbound Pachyderm is a great name and a great look!

I also like the hint of "Dr. Mantis."
Hey, welcome back!! And yeah, I like the idea of Prof. Mantis and his subordinates and "Armor-Selling" business, so I figured I'd get more use out of it with a wannabe superhero.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

Runaround Sue and Porcelena are also great names/ideas.

Thanks. I also took a moment to write down my passwords to access this on my Kindle.
Just call me Doug.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Skaramine wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:24 am Runaround Sue and Porcelena are also great names/ideas.

Thanks. I also took a moment to write down my passwords to access this on my Kindle.
The Infinite Sadness and their minions have a theme going- I assume it's not TOO hard to guess :).
Jabroniville

Runaround Sue

Post by Jabroniville »

RUNAROUND SUE (Susan Christopher)
Hgt:
5'8" Wgt: 155 lbs.
Role: Speedster
PL 10 (158)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 10 (+13)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+13)
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (Athletics) 5 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 1 (+7)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Evasion 2, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Improved Initiative 4, Improved Trip, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Seize Initiative, Startle, Takedown 2, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Speedster"
Speed 10 (2,000 mph) [10]
Leaping 3 (60 feet) [3]

"Speed Feats"
Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling, Water-Walking) (Flaws: Limited to While Running) [2]

"Smash Everyone in Range" Strength-Damage +4 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst 7, Selective 7) (18) -- [20]
  • AE: "Smash Everyone in a Row" Strength-Damage +4 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line 7, Selective 7) (18)
  • AE: "Supreme Kicking Machine" Strength-Damage +4 (Extras: Multiattack 7) (11)
Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Supreme Kicks +13 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Smash Everyone in Range +7 Area (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +22

Defenses:
Dodge +14 (DC 24), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +4 (+6 D.Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Thrills & Danger)- With competitive racing no longer an option, Sue now devotes herself to excitement via the superhuman arena. She frequently starts fights for no reason, and takes insane risks that threaten anyone else around her.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 35 / Defenses: 17 (158)

-Sue Christopher was once the most famous female athlete in the world- a multi-time Olympic Champion, and a symbol of Sprinting. However, she had a dark secret- like many of her contemporaries, she was using Performance-Enhancing Drugs. She hid this desperately, and justified it by pointing out that "everyone was doing it", and feeling that she absolutely HAD TO win. Her competitive-streak was very well-known- to get second place was nothing less than an embarassment. She spent years earning medal after medal, and millions of dollars in sponsorships, but it all came crashing down when a teammate admitted her own guilt, and indicted Sue by proxy. Her career ruined, Sue was sent to prison. Raging against the injustice all along, and going insane without the potential for competition in jail, she quickly made a deal with a dangerous criminal working on an Experimental Steroid.

-Sue gained superhuman powers beyond even the wildest expectations of her hidden masters (most of the subjects of their experiments suffered fatal heart attacks- it's believed her physical conditioning and frequent steroid use had prepared her body for the strain better)- she became a Super-Speedster. She broke free from prison, and got her kicks in the best way imaginable: Superhuman battle. Lacking the "artistic sensibilities" of the others, Susan became Runaround Sue, joining The Infinite Sadness, and started engaging in public brawls. She stole enough money to pay off her bosses, and became a general nuisance to the entire superhuman community, her competitive streak leading her into numerous dangerous situations.

Jab's Notes: One of thousands of Caucasian characters I changed to something else after the fact, because I'm always like "Oh yeah, other races exist". This makes the comparison to sprinter Marion Jones (who led a pretty trouble career) a little more on the nose, but what the hell. I was gonna make her a "Goggles-Wearing Speedster", but nobody in the history of the world has ever looked good in goggles, so I went with a "Wildfire"-style mask. Though that's kinda like my Cosmic Collective guys. I dunno- maybe bare-headed works better.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:37 am
Skaramine wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:24 am Runaround Sue and Porcelena are also great names/ideas.

The Infinite Sadness and their minions have a theme going- I assume it's not TOO hard to guess :).
Much like my girl team, eh? Lovehammer, le Tigre, Dragonforce, and Flogging Molly?
Just call me Doug.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

The Wildfire mask works great. Though, her hair is nice!
Just call me Doug.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Skaramine wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:57 am The Wildfire mask works great. Though, her hair is nice!
Black lady hair is a lot of fun to draw! Though I keep adding it to villains because you always need more villains than heroes, so I fear repeating myself too often, or having people go "... what's with all the black lady supervillains?". At least I shake it up- Lady Dynamo wears dreads, Runaround Sue has "dreads + afro-ponytail" and Wonder Witch just has a full afro. And then Silver Flame clearly straightens hers.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Wow, I didn't realize how unfinished my Archives were. I put up the Titans and a couple of others. Took 45 minutes just to get them back on track, because I kept reading my bios, most of which had information I'd completely forgotten about :).
Jabroniville

Porcelina of the Vast Oceans

Post by Jabroniville »

*Bat-eared Evil Wizard bursts through the wall*

COUNT ARLOK: "FOOLISH WOMAN!! You have stolen from the dreaded COUNT ARLOK!!! Prepare to be destroyed!"
PORCELINA OF THE VAST OCEANS: "Holy crap! Count Arlok!? I thought you died in your own energy loop five years ago!"
COUNT ARLOK: "BAH! No mere band of mortals could have accomplished such a feat! I was merely hiding! And now I shall slay you, and then the Legion of Light!"
PORCELINA OF THE VAST OCEANS: "... You here for your Cyclone Crystal? Here ya go."
COUNT ARLOK: "... You merely give up such a weapon?"
PORCELINA OF THE VAST OCEANS: "Yup! I only steal from the dead and the harmless. No way am I swiping from the high-end sorts if they're alive. Bad for business."
COUNT ARLOK: "... Wise woman! I'm impressed! Your reward- a front-row seat to my rise to power! Behold, as I make the heavens tremble!"
PORCELINA OF THE VAST OCEANS: "Wait- are you gonna set off a giant cataclysm? The one that gets every superhero on Earth involved?"
COUNT ARLOK: "OF COURSE!"
PORCELINA OF THE VAST OCEANS: "... like, dozens of super-beings engaged in a huge, all-out brawl, with all sorts of powers shooting here and there. Even the obscure, forgotten heroes coming out for a piece of the action?"
COUNT ARLOK: "I would imagine so, yes."
PORCELINA OF THE VAST OCEANS: *smiles* "... you need a super-powered minion?"

PORCELINA OF THE VAST OCEANS (Paulette Vincente)
Hgt:
5'6" Wgt: 135 lbs.
Role: Gimmick-User
PL 10 (171)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3/8 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+7)
Athletics 7 (+8)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Superhumans) 10 (+13)
Insight 4 (+7)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+7)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Technology 3 (+6)
Vehicles 2 (+7)

Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Ninja Weapons, Break-In Gear), Improved Critical (Rifle), Ranged Attack 5, Ultimate Superhuman Expertise, Well-Informed

Powers:
"Patchwork Multiform Rifle" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [21]
"Netminder's Power-Net" Snare 6 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2) Linked to Weaken Strength 4 (Extras: Ranged, Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2) (31) -- (35 points)
  • AE: "Mechanon Pulse-Rifle" Blast 8 (16)
  • AE: "Pufferfish's Toxic Spines" Blast 4 (Extras: Multiattack) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5 Uses) Linked to Weaken Strength 4 (Extras: Ranged, Multiattack) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5 Uses) (16)
  • AE: "Goopmaster's Goop" Snare 7 (Extras: Contagious) (28)
"Spring-Heeled Jack's Springed Boots" (Flaws: Removable) [8]
Leaping 6 (500 feet) (6)
Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) (2)
"Power Kick" Strength-Damage +2 (2)
-- (8 points)

"Patchwork Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [28]
"Vanadium, Atlantean & Olympian Armor" Protection 5 (Extras: Impervious 7) (12)
Immunity 5 (Ballistics Damage) (5)
"Powerglove's Stun Glove" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Cumulative) (16) -- (18)
  • AE: "Sparktacus's Electrified Anti-Grapple Wires" Electrical Aura 5 (Flaws: Limited to Short Pulses) (15)
  • AE: "Devil's Yells Satan Howler" Dazzle Hearing 8 (Extras: Area- Audio Perception) (Flaws: Touch Range) (16)
-- (35 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Power-Kick +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Stun Glove +10 (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Anti-Grapple Wires +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Satan Howler +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Pulse-Rifle +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Toxic Spines +10 (+4 Ranged Damage & +4 Weaken Strength, DC 19 & 14)
Power-Net +10 (+6 Ranged Affliction & +4 Weaken Strength, DC 16 & 14)
Goop +10 (+7 Ranged Affliction, DC 17)
Initiative +1 (-1 Suit)

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +3 (+8 Suit, +4 Impervious), Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (The Lifestyle)- Paulette loves the "Super" lifestyle, and enjoys getting into fights with other superhumans.
Reputation (Cape-Chaser)- Paulette is a known "Super-Groupie", though isn't as persistent as most, and a fair bit more attractive.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 57 / Defenses: 14 (171)

Super-Scavenger:
-Paulette Vincente dreamed of what thousands of people all over the world dreamed of- becoming a Super-Hero. The most respected, feared and amired people in the world are super-humans, and legions of fans would love to join them, and be part of "That Club". Most, however, were not as persistent, nor as clever, as Paulette. Most amateurs, lacking powers, either give up on their dreams, or put on costumes and become "Non-Powered Heroes"- a highly-dangerous profession prone to early retirements. Many try to get established heroes to train them- most are refused. Others take the brutal risk of genetic engineering, which has even more cautionary tales than you'd think. Others try to get powerful gear- which itself is dangerous and highly-expensive, making it a tricky proposition.

-Paulette's method was the last one, but she was a lot more clever than most. The majority of "Gear-Seekers" either try to invent things themselves, or buy/steal it from others. The first is a rare skill; the second is rather dangerous. What Paulette did was carefully study the patterns of super-villains and heroes, figure out where government officials put confiscated super-gear, and find out which people were less likely to be angry if someone stole their un-used stuff. She also joined the ranks of "Scavengers"- greedy sorts who spy on mass super-battles and try to beat the authorities to the clean-up efforts. This a highly-dangerous, controversial, illegal occupation, but she is by far the best at it (most others are just trophy hunters).

-And so Paulette got to work building an arsenal- she'd find cast-off "Feathers" from Osprey's fights. Confiscated weapons of war from alien empires (this stuff was ALWAYS turning up on the black market, but the middle-class Paulette found out who was BUYING the stuff, and stole from THEM). A uniform or two from one-off villains or guys who were jailed for years and unlikely to make a comeback, like the Pufferfish (so minor he wasn't even asked to join The Agents of Aquarius. And they let in DOGFISH!). Eventually, she became a very-capable "Gearhead"-type character- versatile, careful and with her gear modified just enough so that the wrong people wouldn't recognize it.

Paulette Gains New Purpose:
-Smart, hard-working and capable, Paulette attempted to become a superhero at last... but found it boring. Just beating up punks, drug dealers and low-tier criminals. Her few team-ups got her REALLY excited, but her over-eager nature, obsessive personality, and inability to care about "the little guy" was a turn-off and she made few partnerships. The only stuff she found herself really enjoying was fighting super-villains. This was what irked other super-heroes in the first place- most pros feel that there's more to the life than just "cool fights" and hanging out with other super-heroes, but Paulette didn't see it that way.

-This led directly to the forming of The Infinite Sadness- if FIGHTS were all they wanted to do, and the culture was all they cared about, then they'd get into it the OTHER way- stage big, ostentatious, "victimless" crimes (like stealing great monuments, or trashing companies that belonged to known villainous types), lure in super-heroes (or better, super-VILLAINS), and have really awesome fights. These were never meant to be fatal, and eventually most heroes figured out "the game"- the Sadness invade a place, stage crimes, lure in heroes, and fight before escaping. At worst, they were generally nuisances, though quite a few heroes got hurt- some quite badly (if NPH-types were drawn in).

-Paulette, or Porcelina of the Vast Oceans, as she prefers to be called ("you have to say the whole thing!"), is a cultural snob about super-heroics, a trivia junkie, and is obsessed with the lifestyle. She's hooked up with a fair share of super-heroes and a few villains (most "Wannabe Supers" are also notorious "Cape Chasers"- part of what keeps most serious heroes from considering them as allies), but keeps things casual.

Paulette's Gear:
-Porcelina of the Vast Oceans uses a lot of cannibalized super-villain gear, but the most obvious weapons are usually augmented alien hardware, as they're less "personal" and nobody holds a grudge. Others are taken from incarcerated, or dead villains. Her gear includes the Pulse-Rifle of a defeated Mechanon Dreadnought, the weakening spines of the jailed Pufferfish (she left out his silly, spiky costume), the Power-Net of the deceased Netminder, the dead Powerglove's "Stun-Glove", and the anti-gravity boots of the Victorian-era Spring-Heeled Jack (a serial killer using alien hardware in order to commit murders).

-Her armor is a patchwork creation, riveting together bits and pieces of wrecked hardware, including part of the breastplate of Ares, unbreakable Vanadium Armor (it broke, but to be fair, it took some doing), Atlantean Scale Armor, and more. She also incorporates bits from active villains Sparktacus and Devil Yell, though the gear is indistinct enough to be thought of as generic. Every time something gets wrecked, or she loses the armor, she re-makes it using other "found elements" (which are often found after large super-battles and alien invasions).

-Paulette has some technological expertise, but generally uses go-betweens in the super-villainous community, paying them off with some heists here and there. She is PL 9 on offense, PL 10 on defense- she's notorious for being hard to hit and very persistent, but is more versatile than she is dangerous or strong- many of her weapons are designed to non-fatally stop her foes- after all, dead enemies can't fight her again!

Jab's Notes: A big part of my setting is "Super-Hero Culture" and the nature thereof- something that's trickier to investigate with the A-Listers, who are "above" such things. But I figure Wannabe Heroes would be EVERYWHERE in such a world- grabbing at scavenged, makeshift gear and all sorts of things in order to "live the life" and be a part of things. A whole band of characters who do nothing more than stage "cool fights" for kicks would be great fun, and a nice, non-fatal kind of foe. This is somewhat inspired by Green Ronin's Packrat, and Marvel's Imus Champion, who briefly had some specialized gear made (and some high-end Magical Weapons procured- The Wand of Watoomb is no common "gear")- I just like the idea of a villain who uses swiped stuff from other characters. Her own personal "code of honor"/survivalist gimmick (ie. don't steal from anyone who might kill you) explains away some of the flaws with such things.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

Porcelina of the Vast Oceans win me over in that introduction.
Just call me Doug.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I really like the idea of reusing the gear from other criminals, sort of like a much lower key Superadaptoid or Amazo.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Spectrum wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:21 pm I really like the idea of reusing the gear from other criminals, sort of like a much lower key Superadaptoid or Amazo.
The first character concept I've ever tried to play in a superhero game was based ona prison guard who stole tech from various Spider-Man foes. Unfortunately the GM was not on-board and pushed me into playing something completely different.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yay! Glad she went over well. The obscure song-title-name and her Origin Story are ideas I've had in my head for ages, but the process of actually statting her out (which required coming up with a bunch of random villain names AND unique powers) was much more or a process. And the visual was an attempt at making a "Patchwork Design" that didn't look TOTALLY lame. It ends up looking like something out of Rifts instead of superhero comics, but that's what scratched-up, patchwork armor looks gets you.