The Jabverse: An O.C. Thread (Cyber-Samurai, Lady of the Eternal Winter)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Yojimbo

Re: The Jabverse: An O.C. Thread (Artemis, Muses, Dawnbringer, Poseidon)

Post by Yojimbo »

Bellerophon killed the Chimera, although he did have help from Pegasus, who was Poseidon's son from Medusa. So there is a link. Sort of.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yojimbo wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:09 pm Bellerophon killed the Chimera, although he did have help from Pegasus, who was Poseidon's son from Medusa. So there is a link. Sort of.
LOL- right. I can never keep the Generic Greek Heroes straight in my head :).
Jabroniville

Amphitrite

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImageImage

Only one I drew of her lacked clothes :).

AMPHITRITE, QUEEN OF THE SEAS (aka Salacia)
Role:
The Wife of Poseidon
PL 7 (119)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (History) 6 (+10)
Expertise (God) 4 (+8)
Insight 3 (+6)
Perception 1 (+4)
Technology 6 (+10)

Advantages:
Benefit 4 (Queen of the Seas)

Powers:
"Alien Anatomy- Olympian"
"Immortal"
Immunity 7 (Aging, Poison, Disease, Hot, Cold, Pressure, Vacuum) [7]
Regeneration 4 (Feats: Regrows Limbs) [5]
Immortality 2 [4]

"Olympian Size" Growth 2 (+2 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -0 Fighting/Dodge, -2 Stealth, Reach 1) -- (10 feet) (Flaws: Limited to Non-ST & STA Growths) [4]

"Sea Goddess"
Immunity 1 (Drowning) [1]
Swimming 6 [6]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (The Olympian Pantheon)- All Gods have a place in the Pantheon, though some jobs are more important than others. Many Gods are meant to represent "concepts" and thus be worthy of worship to mortal beings.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 29 / Defenses: 8 (119)

Amphitrite in Mythology: One of the least-utilized Greek Gods with the biggest role, Amphitrite is the wife of POSEIDON of all people, yet has zero famous myths ascribed to her. Compare her to the other two wives of the Three Kings of Olympia- Hera and Persephone- and you realize something's up. Amphitrite is simply an Oceanid (daughter of Oceanus & Tethys), and many storytellers simply made her a poetic representation of the sea, or a "consort" of Poseidon's, rather than the lofty position of Queen. Hesiod actually called her the daughter of Nereus & Doris, who more unknown Sea Gods. Her primary role in mythology is in giving birth to Triton, though she's also said to be the mother of seals and dolphins. Though Poseidon is as big of a man-whore as Zeus is, Amphitrite's take on all these affairs is unknown.

-Amphitrite is the somewhat-obscure bride of Poseidon himself, and features in few stories. She is the daughter of Oceanus (Earth's Ocean itself) and Tethys, the Titaness, one of hundreds of them. However, only she was chosen to marry Poseidon, as part of the treaty between the Olympians and the Sea Titans- though many other "Oceanids" made attempts to woo the handsome, charismatic God. This act made Poseidon King of the Seas, a role which he eventually took to the entire Olympian Empire, with Amphitrite as his Queen. Though Poseidon was no more monogamous than his brother Zeus, Amphitrite lacked Hera's vengeful fury over the matter- she had bigger things in mind.

-Amphitrite is known to many of the other Olympians as power-hungry and one to revel in her position- the lowest-ranked of any of the "Elite Olympians", she nonetheless enjoys a seat at their table by virtue of her marriage, and frankly, enjoys rattling that sabre. She knows many of the other Gods don't like her, and couldn't care less- she fails to take note of Poseidon's affairs because, as she notes, "*I* still get to sit at the table". Her ambition and thirst for power is heeded by all- it is not for nothing that Poseidon's emotions can roil and rage with just the right set of words from his wife. Just when the Sea King appears to be satisfied with his lot in the diminished Olympian Empire, Amphitrite can edge him towards reaching for something higher- a return to past grandeur. Amphitrite, in fact, may be the most ambitious of the Olympians by far.

-Though Amphitrite & Hera care little for each other (they are not enemies, but have never been friends), they both recognize kindred spirits in their ambition and desire for more- Hera thus proposes an alliance that will get Amphitrite to edge her husband further towards renewing the Olympian Empire of old. The fact that Amphitrite dislikes Athena just as much as her husband does makes it easy to push him further ("But what of ATHENA? Would she not fight against your power-grab?").

Jab's Notes: I always found Amphitrite a bit interesting, in that she's not interesting at all, despite being the wife of a supreme being of Greek Mythology. So I kind of resolved to do something with her- an ambitious, Hera-like figure seemed to fit the bill, and I wanted her to be a rival of Athena's, but in writing her bio, I realized that her best aspect may be as a "Lady Macbeth"- one who pushes her husband's natural desires for power further. Amphitrite thus enables a concept I've always found fascinating- a villain who lacks much PERSONAL power, but wields tremendous power by influence. Like Livia from "I, Claudius".
Ken

Re: Amphitrite

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:38 am ImageImageImage

Only one I drew of her lacked clothes :).

AMPHITRITE, QUEEN OF THE SEAS (aka Salacia)
Salacia? As in salacious? As in schwing-tastic art?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:32 am
Yojimbo wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:09 pm Bellerophon killed the Chimera, although he did have help from Pegasus, who was Poseidon's son from Medusa. So there is a link. Sort of.
Bellerophon isn't generic. He's one of the genuinely decent human beings among the Greek heroes. He's not a rapist, for one thing, which should be a given, but isn't in Greek mythology.
Ken

Post by Ken »

It was Perseus who killed Medusa. It gets weird, though, because in some retellings of Perseus' story (such as the film Clash of the Titans) they have him riding Perseus, rather than flying via a borrowed pair of Hermes' Winged Sandals (Talaria).

As such, if one remembers that Bellerophon rode Pegasus, and recalls (from say a film) the fake news that the slayer of Medusa rode Pegasus, one can get to the misinformation that Bellerophon slew Medusa.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yojimbo wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:08 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:32 am
Bellerophon isn't generic. He's one of the genuinely decent human beings among the Greek heroes. He's not a rapist, for one thing, which should be a given, but isn't in Greek mythology.
They all have generally the same concept and skillset- I'd probably use the same template for every guy. Small differences in character can emerge- like Bellerophon's classic case of hubris (which the Greeks actually considered the WORST among the sins; worse than rape, which they were basically like "yeah, dudes wanna sleep with women and they don't wanna sleep with the dudes, what else are they supposed to do?"), which gets him crippled and miserable for the rest of his natural life.

Apparently the Bellerophon/Perses mistake is a common one, according to Wikipedia:
The replacement of Bellerophon by the more familiar culture hero Perseus was a development of Classical times that was standardized during the Middle Ages and has been adopted by the European poets of the Renaissance and later.
Jabroniville

Sea Gods

Post by Jabroniville »

SEA GODS:
-The Sea Gods are numerous beings that inhabit worlds across the stars, many living in the current or former Olympian Empire. They rarely feature in many stories, and mortal men rarely encounter them. They tend towards being secretive and proud.

Jab's Notes: Not interesting characters, so I'll just throw their names out there. I mean, they're around if I need them.

LEUCOTHEA:
Leucothea in Mythology: Leucothea was a Sea Goddess who came to sailors in distress. She was a mortal named Ino- daughter of King Kadmos of Thebes. When Hera grew enraged when Leucothea and her husband Athamas reared the infant Dionysus, she turned Athamas insane, causing Ino to leap into the sea- she was made a "White Goddess" (Leucothea), while her other child was named Palaemon. She later aides Odysseus on his journey.

-Leucothea was a mortal woman on the alien world in which Dionysus was born. When Hera enacted a terrible vengeance upon her family for saving the young Demigod's life, she and her surviving son were made immortal.

PALAEMON:
Palaemon in Mythology: Originally Melikertes, Palaemon ("The Wrestler") is the son of the woman who became the Goddess Leucothea. He's usually depicted as a young boy-God.

THE ICHTHYOCENTAURS:
The Ichtyocentaurs in Mythology: Bythos (Sea-Depths) and Aphros (Sea-Foam) were the brothers of Chiron, the fabled Centaur who trained many of the great heroes. They only appeared in heraldry, typically.

PHORCYS:
Phorcys in Mythology: Phorcys (Sort of like "phokes"- "Seal" in Greek) was an ancient Sea-God representing the hidden dangers of the depths. He and his wife Ceto were the Gods of the largest sea creatures (her name means "Whale" or "Sea Monster"). Their children were monsters like Scylla, The Griai, The Gorgons, Thoosa, Ladon and Echidna- among the most terrifying of monsters. He had crab-like skin and crab-claw forelegs. His parents were Gaea and Pontus (The Sea).

PONTUS:
Pontus in Mythology: Pontus was a primordial Sea God, and represented the Sea itself, basically acting as a lesser version of Oceanus. He was the son of Gaea & Aither (or possibly Uranus). He is usually seen as a disembodied head with crab claws for horns, but Oceanus is typically more regularly seen. With Thalassa, he was the father of fish, and may be the grandfather of Amphitrite, according to Hesiod. His children include Nereus, Thaumas, Phorcys, Ceto and possibly Eurybia, by his own mother Gaea.

THALASSA:
Thalassa in Mythology: Thalassa is a Sea Goddess, and daughter of Aither and Hemera. Like Pontus, she is a primordial representation of the sea, producing fish and other sea creatures. As Aphrodite was borne from the cast-off genitals of Uranus, which ended up in the sea, Thalassa is sometimes considered Aphrodite's "mother".

THETIS:
Thetis in Mythology: The daughter of Nereus & Doris, Thetis is the leader of the fifty Nereids. She was a shapechanger and had the gift of prophecy. She is by FAR most famous for being the mother of the hero Achilles, and features regularly in the story of the Trojan War- she was destined to bear a son greater than his father, which made Zeus and Poseidon, who were wooing her, go "WOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH ya know what? We're gonna take a pass on this one?" They immediately pawned her off on the Greek hero, Peleus. Their wedding ceremony was attented by all of the Gods. Except one. This ended badly.

Thetis famously attempted to make her son immortal- in the Greek legends, this was done by burning off his mortal self by night, but her husband intruded on the last night, FREAKED OUT, and this caused Thetis to leave him to raise their son alone. In Roman times, then came the fable of "she dipped him in the River Styx to make him invincible; holding him by his ankle", which led to the famous "Achilles Heel". During the Trojan War, she interceded numerous times, thanks to the favors some Gods owed her (she protected Dionysus & Hephaestus in their youth; she'd warned Zeus when the other Gods sought to bind him).

NEREUS:
Nereus in Mythology: The child of Gaea & Pontus, Nereus is the "Old Man of the Sea" and the God of the Rich Bounty of Fish, as well as a representation of the Aegean Sea. His daughters are the Nereids, and he is a renowned shapechanger.

DORIS:
Doris in Mythology: Doris ("Gift/Bounty") is an Oceanid and the wife of Nereus, and mother of the fifty Nereids. She may have been the Goddess of the rich fishing grounds at the mouths of rivers where they intermingle with the ocean, which is rather specific.

THE NEREIDS:
The Nereids in Mythology: The non-Thetis Nereids are pretty minor figures, sometimes said to represent specific things (The Nereid of the Sand, The Nereid of Waves, etc.). None are particularly famous, save the mother of Achilles (Thetis), and the wife of Poseidon (Amphitrite).
Jabroniville

River Gods

Post by Jabroniville »

RIVER GODS
Role:
River Spirits
PL 7 (126)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (History) 6 (+10)
Insight 3 (+6)
Perception 1 (+4)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Immortal"
Regeneration 4 (Feats: Regrows Limbs) [5]

"Natural Size" Growth 2 (+2 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -0 Fighting/Dodge, -2 Stealth, Reach 1) -- (10 feet) (Flaws: Limited to Non-ST & STA Growths) [4]

"Aquatic Beings"
Swimming 6 [6]
Insubstantial 2 [10]
Concealment 4 (Vision) (Flaws: Limited to Within Water) [4]
Morph (Merman or Water Form) (Feats: Metamorph) [6]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Native River)- If the River dies, so to does the spirit inhabiting it.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 45 / Defenses: 8 (126)

River Gods in Mythology: As every river had its own God, there were HUNDREDS of potential River Gods, but most people don't write about them. Few appear overly much in stories, but there's Achelus, who is the God of ALL Rivers, said to be the source of the others. He was defeated by Hercules for the hand of the nymph Daienara. The River Styx is the mother, by Pallas, of the attendants of Zeus- Bia, Nike, Kratos & Zelus. River Gods are typically bulls with human faces, or horned males with fish tails.

-All things are said to contain spirits- what the Japanese call kami. Rivers are no exception, and they feature prominently in some fables about the Olympian Gods. They are said to be related to the Olympians, but are actually separate entities entirely, though some interbreeding did occur. Typically, River Gods are invisible water, taking humanoid shape only rarely.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

so one last build, and then I'm back to super-heroes! I kind of finished much of my backlog, so these will be posted more sporadically.
Jabroniville

Triton

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

I was thinking of a look for Triton, but it nearly always boils down to "like my Apollo drawing, but leaner and with a scaly toga instead of a sun-themed one".

TRITON
Hgt:
6'5" (10'7" in God Form) Wgt: 900 lbs.
Role: Olympian God of The Seas
PL 11 (238)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 9 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Deception 5 (+10)
Expertise (History) 8 (+12)
Expertise (Science) 5 (+9)
Expertise (Magic) 2 (+6)
Expertise (The Seas) 9 (+13)
Expertise (God) 6 (+10)
Insight 5 (+8)
Intimidation 3 (+8, +10 Full Size)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 5 (+8)
Ranged Combat (Water) 2 (+10)
Technology 6 (+10)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Benefit 4 (Prince of the Seas), Defensive Attack, Diehard, Fast Grab, Favored Environment (Water), Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Trident), Languages 2 (Several), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Alien Anatomy- Olympian"
"Immortal"
Regeneration 8 (Feats: Regrows Limbs) [9]
Immortality 2 [4]
Power-Lifting 1 (400 tons) [1]
Features 1: Increased Mass [1]

"Olympian Size" Growth 2 (+2 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -0 Fighting/Dodge, -2 Stealth, Reach 1) -- (10 feet) (Flaws: Limited to Non-ST & STA Growths) [4]

"Lord of the Seas"
Swimming 9 (250 mph) [9]

"Mystical Horn-Shaped Device" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [35]
"Blue Magic- Elementalism"
"Tidal Wave" Blast 10 (Extras: Area- 250ft. Burst +4) (Flaws: Source- Water) (50) -- (55)
  • AE: "Water Stream" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 250ft. Line +4) (Flaws: Source- Water) (40)
  • AE: Move Object 10 (Extras: Damaging, Perception-Ranged) (Flaws: Limited to Water) (30)
  • AE: "Water-World" Environment (Impede Movement) 4 (2 ranks, 240ft. Radius) (8)
  • AE: "Forced Drowning" Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged) (20)
  • AE: "Mass Drowning" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 500ft. Burst +5) (Flaws: Source- Water) (48)
"Summon Monsters"
Comprehend 2 (Animals) (Flaws: Limited to Aquatic Creatures) (2)
-- (57 points)

"Energy Trident" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [6]
Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach, Improved Critical) (Extras: Penetrating 6) (10 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Trident +12 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Water Area Attacks +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Drowning +10 (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Mass Drowning +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +9, Fortitude +10, Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility (The Seas)- Triton is subserviant to only his parents, and is thus in charge of a great deal of the galaxy's seas. Poseidon delegates a great deal of authority to his son.
Responsibility (Olympian Pride)- All Olympians are a bit prideful.
Relationship (Athena)- Triton is devoted to his father's will, and thus directly engages Athena on numerous occasions. Despite his position, he also loves the Goddess considerably. Given that she's both the Virgin Goddess AND his rival, this makes him rather conflicted.

Total: Abilities: 98 / Skills: 60--30 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 79 / Defenses: 13 (238)

Triton in Mythology: Triton typically appears in mythology only as a fish-tailed Sea God in the retinue of his father Poseidon, King of the Seas. He played a magical conch-shell which quelled the wild waves, which he once used to help Oddysseus and his fellow sailors.

-Triton is the eldest son of Poseidon and Amphitrite, and thus the High Prince of the Seas, taking an administrative role just below that of his parents. As such, he commands a degree of respect, but is eternally heir to a position he can never inherit. Stories about him are few, but many incidents ascribed to his father are actually Triton's doing- he merely acts as the instrument of Poseidon's will.

-Notably in the history of Athena was her time as foster-daughter to Triton. As her mother was long-gone, and Zeus was busy ruling the Gods, Athena was raised by Triton, alongside his own daughter, Pallas. However, during a mock fight between the two girls, who'd grown to be best friends, Athena accidentally killed her mortal playmate. Triton was heartbroken, but their mutual mourning over Pallas eventually led to something more. Though their interactions were few over the centuries, Triton grew to love the girl who grew up to be the Goddess of Wisdom.

-This was complicated by the eventual "cold war" between Athena and Poseidon himself- Triton was thus expected to be his father's agent in schemes against the Goddess, frequently vexing her human charges with sea monsters, and occasionally even scuffling with her directly. Triton agonizes over fighting the woman he loves, but he would not dream to disappoint his father. Athena is wise enough to recognize his discomfort and chafing under Poseidon's rule, but is so uneducated in the affairs of the heart that she's clueless as to the full nature of his problem.

-In the modern era, Triton continues to vex Athena as part of his father's schemes, doing so in an even more physical way. Capable of challenging her in solo combat, but preferring to fight through proxies, he is one of her most regular adversaries. He's even been known to ally with actual super-villains in attempts at imprisoning or defeating Athena, though he's acted surrepticiously to prevent his fellow villains from causing her direct harm.

Jab's Notes: Triton's always been a God who's interested me, in that he has a cool look and concept. Unfortunately, he doesn't actually DO anything- he's just kind of "around". Thus I felt the need to give him a real concept- an eternal subordinate of his father, he has to deal with Poseidon's silly feud with Athena. However, I figured it might be fun if there was a romantic twinge in there- you see a lot of villains who want to bone heroes of the opposite sex- the "Dating Catwoman" thing runs strong in the genre... but authentic LOVE? Particularly when the villain is male and the hero female (male villains are often the "entitled douche" variety of love interest). THAT seems to make for a lot more interesting stories. And once I learned that the "Pallas" that gave Athena her prenomen (she's often called "Pallas Athena" in full), the one she'd accidentally killed as a young girl, was the DAUGHTER of Triton... well, that just made it even more perfect.

-Thus, Triton comes off like kind of a Tormented Villain to me. Great angst.

Divine Offspring:
With Various Mothers: Pallas, Kalliste, Triteia, The Tritonides

Capers:
* Sea Monsters are vexing several coastal cities, in an attempt to lure out Athena. Triton appears... and may be holding a love potion created by Aphrodite, and the means to escape his father's detection. Just what IS his plan this time?
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

At first I was like, Triton at PL 11? -- the hell? Then I saw "adversary of Athena" and the lightbulb went off. Went back, read more of the background... and he helped raised her but now he's into her? Creep city.

That's a lot of levels to an otherwise forgettable god like Triton.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Yojimbo wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:11 pm At first I was like, Triton at PL 11? -- the hell? Then I saw "adversary of Athena" and the lightbulb went off. Went back, read more of the background... and he helped raised her but now he's into her? Creep city.

That's a lot of levels to an otherwise forgettable god like Triton.
Mind you... gods. Immortality and a relatively small peer pool kind of creates a different perspective on such things.
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

And really, you think a little thing like that is going to deter a Greek god? You aren't into swans or something?
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Haha, yeah- the foster daughter thing makes it extra weird. But considering most of these guys have lusted after their own SISTERS, it's just a drop in the bucket.

Glad you found Triton interesting, Yojimbo :)

And now... REGULAR supervillains!