The Jabverse: An O.C. Thread (Cyber-Samurai, Lady of the Eternal Winter)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ken

Re: The Jabverse: An O.C. Thread (Gangsterbot! Skyscraper! Lady Dynamo! Osprey!)

Post by Ken »

I went brown and white for my Osprey...
Ken wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:40 am Image
ImageImage
Osprey - PL 11
Last edited by Ken on Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Professor Mantis

Post by Jabroniville »

PROFESSOR MANTIS (Mannfred Kerlinger)
Role:
Evil Scientist
PL 11 (192)
STRENGTH
2/9 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 8 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+4, +11 Suit)
Deception 5 (+9)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+14)
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+10)
Expertise (Business) 5 (+13)
Insight 4 (+8)
Intimidation 3 (+7, +9 Suit)
Perception 2 (+6)
Stealth 3 (+6)
Technology 8 (+16)

Advantages:
Benefit 3 (Wealth), Fast Grab, Inventor, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Mantis Powersuit" (Flaws: Removable) [81]
Enhanced Strength 7 (14)
Protection 8 (Extras: Impervious 11) (19)
"Sensors" Senses 4 (Infravision, Radius Sight, Ranged Radius Touch) (4)
Movement 2 (Sure-Footed, Wall-Crawling) (4)

Enhanced Skills 2: Intimidation 2 (+9) (1)
Enhanced Advantages 7: Fast Grab, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4 (7)
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)

"Reactive Hardware"
Enhanced Fighting 2 (4)
Enhanced Dodge 3 (3)

"Ballistics Array" Blast 10 (Extras: Multiattack) (30) -- (31)
  • AE: "Mantis Claws" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical, Split) (Extras: Penetrating 8) (12)
-- (101 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Powersuit Strength +10 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Mantis Claws +10 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Ballistics Array +11 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (+11 Suit, DC 18-21), Parry +8 (+10 Suit, DC 18-20), Toughness +3 (+11 Suit, +6 Impervious), Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Reputation (Cold-Hearted)- Kerlinger is notoriously-stingy and uncaring about his allies, frequently irritating them.

Total: Abilities: 74 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 81 / Defenses: 10 (192)

-Mannfred Kerlinger, a German Expat living in the States, was one of the greatest weapons designers of his day. However, he had great difficulty breaking off on his own, as the established names in the weapons biz were quick to snatch up start-up companies and reduce competition for those fat government contracts. Requiring a way to capitalize on his designs without going into established fields, Kerlinger came up with a plan: create Powersuits of great capability, then sell them on the black market- cutting out the middle man. And an even better plan- hire mercenaries to ADVERTISE his products- ie. do battle with known superhumans on live television! This allowed him to advertise FOR FREE- what better way to show off your product line than for millions to see it up against the most powerful people in the world?

-Creating the state-of-the-art Mantis Powersuit, along with a smattering of others, Kerlinger attacked many known superheroes, using their defeats as an advertisement for his product line. Soon, dictators, criminals and businessmen throughout the world were throwing money at him to get their own versions of the suits. Despite his success, he has been arrested numerous times, and has suffered the occasional public humiliation, with his suit being defeated by a superhero or two- these things often drive down the price of his suits, angering him greatly. A cold-hearted, methodical man (who cares little for civilian casualties or the survival of anyone), Kerlinger can be quite frightening, and is exceptionally-intense and uncaring around even his allies. This often irks his teammates, resulting in many resignations.

-The Mantis Powersuit is one of the world's most-advanced, and one of the few that can increase one's fighting capabilities, with special sensors that cause reactive attacks, and automatic responses to avoiding harm. Kerlinger nonetheless still fights using entire teams of operatives behind him, because he lacks the raw confidence necessary to take on a powerful superhero.

Jab's Notes: A pretty standard Evil Asshole. But really, Greedy Capitalist is basically one of those villains that will ALWAYS seem up-to-the-minute and relevant to modern-day. And I respect comic conventional wisdom JUST ENOUGH to insist that "Professor MANtis" have the name "MANnfred".
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scots Dragon

Re: The Jabverse: An O.C. Thread (Gangsterbot! Skyscraper! Lady Dynamo! Osprey!)

Post by Scots Dragon »

You did still miss the opportunity to give him a surname like Teschendorff or similar.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Scots Dragon wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:19 am You did still miss the opportunity to give him a surname like Teschendorff or similar.
Google can't find me anything on that surname- what's the importance there? I just took the first name, found a comparative surname from a list I found online, and called it a day :).

That's actually my standard procedure for international characters- look at lists of "Most Common Names" in the various countries, and select names from the middle portions, to avoid the "John Smith" equivalent of Peru or whatever.
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:26 am
Scots Dragon wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:19 am You did still miss the opportunity to give him a surname like Teschendorff or similar.
Google can't find me anything on that surname- what's the importance there?
It begins with something very vaguely approximating a 'tis' sound.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ah- I never woulda got that :). Not bad.
Jabroniville

Army Ants

Post by Jabroniville »

ARMY ANTS
Role:
Mooks
PL 5 (58)
STRENGTH
2/4 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 2 (+3)
Expertise (Soldier) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+3)
Perception 2 (+2)
Stealth 2 (+4, +2 Suit)
Technology 2 (+2)
Treatment 1 (+1)
Vehicles 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment 3 (Laser Blasts- Blast 6- Multiattack)

Powers:
"Army Ant Powersuit" (Flaws: Removable) [15]
Enhanced Strength 2 (4)
Protection 4 (Extras: Impervious 5) (9)
"Sensors" Senses 2 (Infravision, Radius Vision) (2)

"Suit Flaws"
Stealth -2 (-1)
-- (18 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Powersuit Strength +4 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Laser Blasts +4 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +2 (+6 Ant Suit), Fortitude +2, Will +0

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 15 / Defenses: 2 (58)

-Army Ants are the cheapest, lowest-grade Powersuits in the "Arthro-Squad" line. They are effectively just standard heavy armor in a full bodysuit, with some added sensors and gear. Nothing truly fancy, but these are the mass-marketed suits that can be produced easily for the lowest-level spenders.
Jabroniville

Pillbugs

Post by Jabroniville »

PILLBUGS
Role:
Mooks
PL 5 (55)
STRENGTH
2/3 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2/1
FIGHTING 4/3 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 2 (+3)
Expertise (Soldier) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+3)
Perception 2 (+2)
Stealth 2 (+4, +1 Suit)
Technology 2 (+2)
Treatment 1 (+1)
Vehicles 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment 3 (Laser Blasts- Blast 6- Multiattack)

Powers:
"Pillbug Powersuit" (Flaws: Removable) [12]
Enhanced Strength 1 (2)
Protection 5 (Extras: Impervious 7) (12)
"Sensors" Senses 1 (Infravision) (1)

"Suit Flaws"
Stealth -2 (-1)
Fighting -1 (-2)
Agility -1 (-2)
-- (14 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Powersuit Strength +3 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Laser Blasts +4 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (+3 Suit, DC 13), Parry +4 (+3 Suit, DC 13), Toughness +2 (+7 Pillbug Suit, +4 Impervious), Fortitude +2, Will +0

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 2 (55)

-Pillbugs are a newer "Troop" variant, comprised of extremely-tough Armor that renders troops highly-resistant to gunfire at the expense of their physical capabilities. The heavy armor slows men down, but the resistance is worth it to those in need of great protection.
catsi563

Re: The Jabverse: An O.C. Thread (Skyscraper! Lady Dynamo! Osprey! Professor Mantis!)

Post by catsi563 »

I LOVE themed mook hordes. Especially when you can mix and match capabilities with fun suits and weapons and such.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Scots Dragon

Re: The Jabverse: An O.C. Thread (Skyscraper! Lady Dynamo! Osprey! Professor Mantis!)

Post by Scots Dragon »

catsi563 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:04 pm I LOVE themed mook hordes. Especially when you can mix and match capabilities with fun suits and weapons and such.
Seriously. A considerable amount of my own setting development has been in the creation of various themed mook hordes and jobber villains simply to have something more colourful to throw at the heroes than the standard sets of balaclava-clad criminals with handguns.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

catsi563 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:04 pm I LOVE themed mook hordes. Especially when you can mix and match capabilities with fun suits and weapons and such.
Haha, did you check out my Warriors-inspired goon squads? All of Mega-City is swarming with themed thugs :).
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:13 pm
Haha, did you check out my Warriors-inspired goon squads? All of Mega-City is swarming with themed thugs :).
Oh yeah, Warriors were a fave villain group from City of heroes for me.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

No, I mean the super-dated movie with the Baseball Furies and hillbillies and such :). I even made the parody Baseball Furries in a fit of inspiration!
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:36 pm No, I mean the super-dated movie with the Baseball Furies and hillbillies and such :). I even made the parody Baseball Furries in a fit of inspiration!

Nah I know that but thyere also a gang in City of heroes they use axes swords maces and the like along with guns. their leaders are big guys like Attilla and Heracles and such, and The big boss is named Odysseus :D

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Fire Ant

Post by Jabroniville »

Top left.

FIRE ANT (Davis Header)
Role:
Minor Villain
PL 8 (121)
STRENGTH
2/6 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+4, +8 Suit)
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Mercenary) 5 (+7)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+5)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 4 (+7, +5 Suit)
Technology 3 (+5)
Treatment 2 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+7)

Advantages:
Equipment (Soldier Gear), Improved Critical (Fire Blast), Improved Smash, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Fire Ant Powersuit" (Flaws: Removable) [36]
Enhanced Strength 4 (8)
Protection 5 (Extras: Impervious 7) (12)
"Sensors" Senses 2 (Infravision, Radius Sight) (2)
Immunity 6 (Heat, Fire Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) (3)

"Flame Thrower" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (16) -- (17)
  • AE: Fire Blast 7 (Feats: Split) (15)
"Suit Flaws"
Stealth -2 (-1)
-- (45 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Powersuit Strength +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Fire Blasts +9 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Flame Thrower +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+8 Suit, +4 Impervious), Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 9 (121)

-Davis Header is a reputable, if cold-hearted Mercenary, and was one of the first hires Professor Mantis made for his new team. His experience in foreign environments, particularly while using a flame thrower, made him an ideal selection for the Fire Ant Powersuit, complete with built-in Flamethrowers. The suit is effectively an extreme upgrade of the Army Ant Powersuit, giving him much greater strength, and weapons that can't easily be disarmed. He has been arrested numerous times, and has quit the group more than once to settle into more "sustainable" Mercenary work (less chance of being arrested, or punched by a Class 100 woman). Only greater funding lures him back into the Fire Ant suit, though he must admit, the added firepower is a plus- Header is easily the nastiest of his crew. He's the first to taunt or harass a foe, and thinks nothing of abusing helpless opponents.