Macyn's Ultraverse Builds(Boneyard!Rune!Lord Pumpkin!NM-E! Rex Mundi!Villian Teams!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
MacynSnow

Re: Macyn's Ultraverse Builds(The Strangers!, The Solution!,and Maybe The Freex...)

Post by MacynSnow »

THE STRANGERS
On June 24, 1993 San Francisco, a cable car goes out of control and crashes into a car driven by Johnny Domino. This drives a piece of metal into his brain. This accident causes Johnny to no longer need sleep and to develop the ability to hear evil thoughts, which led to his becoming the Ultra-Hero, Night Man. The passengers all develop super-powers to a various degree.
The six who would become the Strangers later gather at the spot of the crash site and come into conflict with the sorceress Yrial,who is ordered by her Chieftan to accompany the Group after they leave their Floating Sky-Island.
Getting established
Elana came to sponsor the team, having developed a fortune in the fashion business. She gives them all pagers, when they are called in to battle the villain named Deathwish. Their adversary turns out to be another cable car passenger; he has killed an entire block of people. He is soon defeated.During the Course of their First case, the Strangers develop a working relationship with police officer Captain Jacob Rowe. He had become the San Francisco police department liaison with 'Ultras', super-powered beings.

Macyn's Notes:
This was actually my Favorite Team of the 90's,save for my Beloved Avengers(Who could do no wrong in my Discipled eyes...:)),and for several good reasons:
-They were the second book(I think) besides Prime,that came out of Malibu.
-They used the Cable-car Incident to have Multiple Heroes&Villian's come out of it(remember,there were 52 people on that Car that got zapped by the Jumpstart.and i don't count Night Man in that number because he was outside the car&just got hit but it..)
-They swapped around a lot of the Steroetypes for team Builders(making the Beautiful Sorceress-type the Angry Woman&giving a White Call girl a naive personality was genius,at least to 16-year old me)

THE ROSTER:
ATOM BOB(Bob Hardin) Occupation:Art Student
STRENGTH 3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5 FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4 INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 8 (+7) Expertise (Art) 4 (+4) Perception 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Improved Grab, Evasion 2, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative 2, Startle, Takedown, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Molecular Control"
Force Field 15 (Extras: Impervious 9) [24]
Senses 7 (Detect Energy- Ranged 4, Acute, Analytical) [7]

Transform (Anything to Anything Else) 20 (Extras: Continuous) [120]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +1 (+16 Force Field, +26 Full Field, +5-12 Impervious), Fortitude +2, Will +5

Background:
Bob Hardin and his friend Hugh Fox were college students riding the San Francisco cable car when it was struck by a jumpstart effect from the Entity on the Moon, changing everyone onboard into Ultras. Bob and Hugh joined forces with four other strangers from the cable car and the sorceress Yrial to become super-heroes. Bob chose the name Atom Bob and began a relationship with the team leader, Lady-Killer, who was nearly ten years older than him.

Macyn's Notes:
I thought Bob was the Coolest looking hero i'd ever seen(I still do to this day).Now his power did seem a little...Deus Ex-Machina to me,but after reading the Hardcase Crossover they had with him(especially after Allaadin explained how his power had to work on Concentration),i could see the uses of it.Hated how they turned him into a villian later though...
jcjec

Re: Macyn's Ultraverse Builds(The Strangers!, The Solution!,and Maybe The Freex...)

Post by jcjec »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:35 pm Macyn's Notes:
I thought Bob was the Coolest looking hero i'd ever seen(I still do to this day).Now his power did seem a little...Deus Ex-Machina to me,but after reading the Hardcase Crossover they had with him(especially after Allaadin explained how his power had to work on Concentration),i could see the uses of it.Hated how they turned him into a villian later though...
I was a big fan of The Strangers and Night Man, but the act of turning Atom Bob to heel ruined it for me. The book struggled from that point on until its cancellation and, while I was glad to see Marvel try to run with Night Man, I was glad that The Strangers disappeared rather than continue.

Strange enough, though, is that, as a storyteller, I can see the advantage to turning a hero into a heel as a twist, and probably wouldn't have minded it so much if it had been literally any other member of the team. But Bob was so much of the team's heart and spine that, with him gone, everything fell apart.
Jim C.

I know that into every life a little rain must fall,
but why do we have to live in the flood plains?
Thorpocalypse

Re: Macyn's Ultraverse Builds(3e)

Post by Thorpocalypse »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:43 pm Image
PRIME(Kevin Green) Occupation:Teenager
Um...is it even possible to have a six-pack on your leg???? :shock:

You gotta love the 90's! Great Ultraverse builds. I only read a little of it, but it was fun stuff.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

jcjec wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:04 pm I was a big fan of The Strangers and Night Man, but the act of turning Atom Bob to heel ruined it for me. The book struggled from that point on until its cancellation and, while I was glad to see Marvel try to run with Night Man, I was glad that The Strangers disappeared rather than continue.

Strange enough, though, is that, as a storyteller, I can see the advantage to turning a hero into a heel as a twist, and probably wouldn't have minded it so much if it had been literally any other member of the team. But Bob was so much of the team's heart and spine that, with him gone, everything fell apart.
I'm of the mind that if they had to turn any member of the Strangers heel(great pro-wrestling reference,BTW! here's your Cyber-cookie...(::)) and make it a suprise,they should have done Spectral....
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:46 am
MacynSnow wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:43 pm Image
PRIME(Kevin Green) Occupation:Teenager
Um...is it even possible to have a six-pack on your leg???? :shock:

You gotta love the 90's! Great Ultraverse builds. I only read a little of it, but it was fun stuff.
thank you,but i'm not done yet.I only have (Most) of the Stranger,all of the Solution,and (Maybe)The Freex left to do....Then it's on to the Villians! :)
brothersale

Post by brothersale »

Well there is also Sludge, Solitaire and Alec Swan aka Firearm.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

brothersale wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:39 pm Well there is also Sludge, Solitaire and Alec Swan aka Firearm.
true,but right now i'm circling in on the "Generation 1" Ultra heroes and i don't think any of them count...
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Here's Bob's Best Friend(which i alway's thought was kind of wierd as they apparently had nothing in common)...
GRENADE(Hugh Fox) Occupation:Ex-Art Student
STRENGTH 7 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 4 FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4 INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+11) Expertise (Art) 5 (+8) Investigation 4 (+7) Perception 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Improved Critical 2 (Unarmed, Shrapnel Blast), Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Explosive Blast" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (20) -- [21]
AE: "Explosive Punch" Damage 10 (Extras: Penetrating 4) (14)
Regeneration 2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Explosive Punch +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Explosive Blast +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Temper-Hugh tended to fly off the handle a lot in the Book(he even went so far as to Threaten Hardcase RIGHT TO THE MAN'S FACE!)...
Relationship(Electrocute,Atom Bob)-Bob&Hugh had been best friend's for years before the Jumpstart hit them.Now,his relationship with Candy caused some fan outcry(he was basically taking advantage of her by a lot of people's opinion's,including mine) but in the comics,he genuinley(?) loved her.So much so,that when J.D.Hunt temporarly over-rode her programming,Hugh refused to fight her...

Background:
Not much of Hugh's backstory was ever revealed,but what i could figure out was this:
-Hugh grew up in either New York or Brooklyn(his fight/argument with Grip when they assaulted the Alladin Facility suggested it)
-he became close friends with Bob(almost like Brother's)when they met in Art College.

Macyn's Notes:
I hate that there isn't much intel on Grenade,as i personally think his outfit alone is worth attention..
jcjec

Post by jcjec »

MacynSnow wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:21 pm I'm of the mind that if they had to turn any member of the Strangers heel(great pro-wrestling reference,BTW! here's your Cyber-cookie...(::)) and make it a suprise,they should have done Spectral....
Agreed, but GLAAD would have been all over their @$$ for that one. I also thought that Electrocute turning would have been good, but may have had too much in common with the Rise of the Machines.
Jim C.

I know that into every life a little rain must fall,
but why do we have to live in the flood plains?
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

jcjec wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:35 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:21 pm I'm of the mind that if they had to turn any member of the Strangers heel(great pro-wrestling reference,BTW! here's your Cyber-cookie...(::)) and make it a suprise,they should have done Spectral....
Agreed, but GLAAD would have been all over their @$$ for that one. I also thought that Electrocute turning would have been good, but may have had too much in common with the Rise of the Machines.
True,but i think at the time for Malibu any publicity would've been good publicity to them.I personally couldn't see Candy turning(even from a writer's percpective),as that would've fit with the Character Concept.Maybe Zip-Zap.....
brothersale

Post by brothersale »

MacynSnow wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:10 pm
brothersale wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:39 pm Well there is also Sludge, Solitaire and Alec Swan aka Firearm.
true,but right now i'm circling in on the "Generation 1" Ultra heroes and i don't think any of them count...
Define "generation 1" as they were all around fairly early, Firearm started the same month as Prime #4, Solitaire #1 the same month as Prime #5 and Sludge #1 the same month as Prime #6.

Heck, the Exiles (i had forgotten about them) would even before most of the others (albeit only Ghoul really "survives" the series)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

brothersale wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:11 pm
Define "generation 1" as they were all around fairly early, Firearm started the same month as Prime #4, Solitaire #1 the same month as Prime #5 and Sludge #1 the same month as Prime #6.

Heck, the Exiles (i had forgotten about them) would even before most of the others (albeit only Ghoul really "survives" the series)
I consider "Gen 1" being any Issue that hit's #3 before any of the Others.in your examples,Firearm Sludge&Solitaire show up after Prime#3 which would make them "Generation 2"...

For clairifications sake,these are what I personally consider "First Gen" Ultraverse:
Hardcase,Prime,The Strangers,Night Man,The Freex,The Solution

you could Technically put the Squad in there as well,but they were killed off before Hardcase#1....
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Here's the Sexy Leader of The Strangers....
LADY KILLER(Elena La Brava) Occupation:Fashion Designer
STRENGTH 2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 7 FIGHTING 5/12* DEXTERITY 4 INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+14) Expertise (Buisnesswoman) 4 (+6) Expertise (Fashion Designer) 6 (+8) Insight 2 (+4) Perception 6 (+8)
Persuasion 3 (+7, +11 Attractive) Ranged Combat (Improvised Weapons) 4 (+15) Sleight of Hand 6 (+10) Technology 2 (+4) Stealth 4 (+11)

Advantages:
Leadership, Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Defensive Attack, Equipment 3, Follow-Up Strike, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Precise Attack 2 (Ranged/Cover & Concealment), Quick Draw, Taunt, Ranged Attack 13, Ultimate Aim, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
" Aiming Powers"
Blast 5 (Feats: Improved Critical 4, Split, Ricochet 3, Penetrating 5, Extended Range)

Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Thrown Objects +15 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +15 (DC 25), Parry +15 (DC 25), Toughness +4 , Fortitude +7, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship(LaBrava Fashions)-Elena is very protective of her company&it's image.So much so that she waited for 3 issues(in comic it was 3-4 weeks) to contact the Other Cablecar survivors...
Relationship(Atom Bob)-She wound up being viewed as "Cougaring" the young,Impresionable Bob and wound do anything he asked of her within reason...

Background:
Elena Labrava is the founder, main designer and chief officer of Labrava Fashions, a famous and successful San Francisco firm.
One day, the tram she was riding in was hit by a blue lightning bolt that turned most passengers into ultrahumans.A number of those thus empowered met after the momentous event, and decided to band together as the Strangers. Labrava soon emerged as their leader.

Macyn's Notes:
I liked the concept of the Character(a good guy version of Bullseye with no insanity issues),but mildly disliked her hooking up with Bob(I personally thought her&Grenade would make the better couple)...
brothersale

Post by brothersale »

MacynSnow wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:37 pm

I consider "Gen 1" being any Issue that hit's #3 before any of the Others.in your examples,Firearm Sludge&Solitaire show up after Prime#3 which would make them "Generation 2"...

For clairifications sake,these are what I personally consider "First Gen" Ultraverse:

you could Technically put the Squad in there as well,but they were killed off before Hardcase#1....
ah but that definitely makes the Exiles a first Gen (issue 3 of Prime along with Night man #1), but also makes the Solution a second Gen as their first issue came out with Prime #4. But the point is moot, are you planning on doing the "2nd gen" after the villains?
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

brothersale wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:20 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:37 pm

ah but that definitely makes the Exiles a first Gen (issue 3 of Prime along with Night man #1), but also makes the Solution a second Gen as their first issue came out with Prime #4. But the point is moot, are you planning on doing the "2nd gen" after the villains?
oh,no,i'm gonna do all the Heroes i can remember first.I also forgot to add Mantra in my example and am now shamed... :oops: