Oubliette (Original M&M 2E Builds)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Michuru

#309: Kikker

Post by Michuru »

KIKKER
(Power Level 8)

Height / Weight: 5’6” / 135 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: Bald (Blonde) / Black (Blue)
Place of Birth: Drachten, Friesland, Netherlands (February 8, 1992)
First Appearance: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #13
Tags: #neosapien, #netherlands, #nvae, #oubliette137

Physical Description: Annaliese looks like an anthropomorphic frog. Her normal attire typically consists of a T-shirt and shorts. Her uniform sports short sleeves, legs, and a lack of gloves and boots.

Relationship: Jakob Janssen (father, deceased), Dorothea Janssen (mother), Eleonora Janssen (sister)

Biography: On Christmas Eve 2008, Annaliese’s boyfriend, Joost, took her ice skating. Falling through the ice, Annaliese’s Neo-Sapien powers manifested and she transformed into an anthropomorphic frog. Grabbing Joost, she was able to make it back to the surface, but unable to revert back to her natural form.

Her secret out, it didn’t take long for news to reach Geert van Rijn’s Independence Party—a political movement looking to remove Neo-Sapiens from the Netherlands. The man’s supporters descended on Annaliese’s home and began harassing her family. With the help of representatives from the Department of SPB Affairs, Annaliese, her mother, and her younger sister were moved to Austria, where Annaliese enrolled in the New Vindicators Academy, hoping that with their help, she could find a way to revert back to her natural self, and return to a normal life.
  • STR 10, DEX 10, CON 10, INT 13 (+1), WIS 10, CHA 12 (+1)

SKILLS: Craft (writing) 2 (+3), Knowledge (history) 2 (+3), Knowledge (physical science) 3 (+4), Knowledge (popular culture) 2 (+3), Languages 1 (Dutch [base], English), Notice 2

FEATS: Equipment 2

POWERS: Container 7 (Additional Limbs 1 [prehensile tongue; Power Feats: Improved Grab, Improved Pin], Elongation 2 [Flaws: Limited {tongue, -1}], Immunity 1 [drowning], Leaping 4, Protection 8, Strike 4 [tongue lash; Power Feats: Accurate 6], Super-Movement 2 [wall-crawling], Swimming 4; Extras: Duration [Continuous, +1]; Flaws: Permanent [-1])

Equipment: cell phone, comm link, GPS receiver, laptop, New Vindicators uniform (+2 Toughness, Immunity 2 [cold and heat]); 2 free equipment points

COMBAT: Attack +0 (+12 tongue lash), Grapple +0, Damage +0 (+4 tongue lash), Defense +0, Knockback -4, Initiative +0

SAVES: Toughness +8, Fortitude +2, Reflex +6, Will +2

COMPLICATIONS: Prejudice (Neo-Sapien)

Abilities 5 + Skills 3 (12 ranks) + Feats 2 + Powers 35 + Combat 0 + Saves 10 = 55 points
Michuru wrote:The challenge with running a game at a super-powered high school is that you need a wide cast (where's the fun in going to a school where the graduating class is only five people?), but you need a cast that can't steal the show from the real stars: the PCs. I'm on a never-ending quest to create unique NPCs who are never too useful to the party. Sometimes I succeed (Aphasia) and sometimes I fail (Vestige). I'm hoping I succeed here with our little frog girl. She'll be accurate in combat, and may be able to take a hit or two, but she's not going to be doing much damage, or dodging any blows. She's also not going to making a lot of saves. Really, there's little reason to take her into battle, and she's going to be much help outside of it either.

One note is her back story, which is meatier when compared to Rose and Kelly's. Biographies tend to be the last thing I write up, and when characters I can see having more interaction, I try to keep myself free of any preset restrictions I might make in writing up a story.
NVAE Setting - VP: 5
Michuru

#307: Thorn

Post by Michuru »

THORN
(Power Level 8)

Height / Weight: 5’10” / 130 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: Blonde w/ a black streak / Blue
Place of Birth / Date of Birth: Venice, Italy / October 31, 1993
Tags: #italy, #neosapien, #nvae, #oubliette137

Physical Appearance: Rose is an attractive young woman with a svelte frame. She has shoulder-length blonde hair with a black streak through her bangs. She typically dresses stylish, albeit flirty. Her uniform is sleeveless and ends in a short, frilled skirt, which she wears with wrist gloves and knee-high boots.

Relationships: Francesco Caspian (father), Rosella Caspian (mother), Fiore Caspian (elder brother)

Biography: Little is known about Rose’s life prior to her enrollment at the school, other than that her powers had only just manifested. After arriving in Vienna, Rose immediately made an enemy out of Violet Lear, as both girls had set their eyes on Mike Mitchell. Together with her friends inside the school and out, Violet took Rose to Lux. Their night of dancing was cut short, however, when Mike and Wolf began fighting over Rose. (NVAE #13)

On another night at Lux, members of the Serbian mafia tried to abduct Rose, only to be stopped by Lex Murphy and Violet. (NVAE #15)

During Siegfried’s attack on Vienna, Rose teamed up with Kas Flaegler. During this time, she took a codename—electing to take the nickname Lex meant as an insult and made it her own. As Thorn, she and Magnitude worked with Durendal and encountered Francois and Antoine Vitesse. After defusing the situation, Magnitude and Thorn joined Fluxx and Current at the hospital, where she played a role in stopping Cleave. (NVAE #17)
  • STR 10, DEX 12 (+1), CON 10, INT 11, WIS 12 (+1), CHA 14 (+2)

SKILLS: Diplomacy 4 (+6/+10 attractive), Knowledge (popular culture) 4, Language 1 (English, Italian [base]), Notice 4 (+5), Perform (keyboards) 5 (+7), Perform (strings) 6 (+8), Sense Motive 4 (+5)

FEATS: Attractive 1, Equipment 2

POWERS: Plant Control 8 (Alternate Powers: Animate Objects 8 [Flaws: Limited {plants, -1}], Plant Growth 8; Power Feats: Accurate 2)

Equipment: comm link, GPS receiver, iPhone (as cell phone, computer, video camera), New Vindicators uniform (+2 Toughness, Immunity 2 [cold and heat])

COMBAT: Attack +0 (+4 plant control), Grapple +0, Damage +0, Defense +0, Knockback -0, Initiative +1

SAVES: Toughness +2, Fortitude +2, Reflex +3, Will +7

COMPLICATIONS: Prejudice (Neo-Sapien), Reputation (Mean Girls), Rivalry (Violet)

Abilities 9 + Skills 7 (28 ranks) + Feats 3 + Powers 20 + Combat 0 + Saves 10 = 49 points
Michuru wrote:If Shock ever wondered whether or not Violet could take Rose in a fight, this should help.

I wanted Rose to have room to bloom (da-dum-dunt!). She's young and very inexperienced, having only recently come into her powers and to the school. As she currently stands, there isn't really much to say about her, but... here she is.
Michuru

#310: Ommatidia

Post by Michuru »

OMMATIDIA
(Power Level 0)

Height / Weight: 5’8” / 164 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: Brown / Hazel
Place of Birth / Date of Birth: Lublin, Poland / October 29, 1992
Home Dimension: Oubliette-137
Tags: #neosapien, #nvae, #oubliette137, #poland

Physical Description: From afar, Adam looks like an ordinary sixteen-year-old boy: he has shaggy brown hair, a medium build, and a penchant for fearing T-shirts and jeans. Adam is seldom seen without his sunglasses, which he uses to hide his compound eyes. Adam’s uniform is unmodified.

Biography: Walking home from school, Adam Nowak stepped off a curb, oblivious to a truck coming his way. At that moment, his Neo-Sapien powers manifested: his eyes transformed—becoming compound. Now seeing through a cluster of photoreceptor cells, Adam’s brain was able to take in more visual information. He saw the truck, jumped back, and lived.

His eyes, however, have been permanently left in such a state. With a normal existence taken from him, Adam was enrolled in the New Vindicators Academy of Europe.
  • STR 10, DEX 10, CON 10, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 10

SKILLS: Craft (art) 3, Knowledge (physical sciences) 2, Knowledge (popular culture) 2, Languages 1 (English, Polish [base])

POWERS: Super-Senses 2 (Additional Senses: Danger Sense, Low-Light Vision; Drawbacks: Noticeable [bug eyes, -1 point])

Equipment: cell phone, comm link, GPS receiver, New Vindicators uniform (+2 Toughness, Immunity 2 [cold and heat]); 3 free equipment points

COMBAT: Attack +0, Grapple +0, Damage +0, Defense +0, Knockback -0, Initiative +0

SAVES: Toughness +2, Fortitude +0, Reflex +0, Will +2

Abilities 0 + Skills 2 (8 ranks) + Feats 2 + Powers 1 + Combat 0 + Saves 2 = 7 points
Michuru wrote:Hooray for more useless students! Adam also fills the freakish looking quota, as not all of the students should be able to pass for normal. He's pretty straight forward. My only real note would be on his eyes...

Despite having compound eyes like most insects, Adam doesn't really have a wider field of vision, as his eyes are still situated in the same place. They don't rest on the sides of his head, but still face forward and remain inside his skull. As a result, the only benefit he gets is that each cell of his eye pulls in information, letting him better react to harm, and they better draw in light. Ta-da.
Michuru

#311: Kodiak

Post by Michuru »

KODIAK
(Power Level 10)

Height / Weight: 6’0” / 194 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: Brown / Blue
Place of Birth / Date of Birth: Solaris, Virginia / February 1, 1961
Place of Death / Date of Death: Vienna, Austria / June 19, 2009
First Appearance: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #12
Tags: #moksha, #neosapien, #usa

Physical Description: Matt comes across as intimidating: even outside of his bear form, he is physical imposing. He seldom smiles, further augmenting this aspect. He has untidy brown hair and an affinity for wearing black shirts that are a size too-small (showing off more of that intimidating physique) with cargo pants and combat boots.

Relationships: Eugene Kowalski (father; deceased), Carol White (mother), Logan White (step-father), Heather Dahler (sister), Dwight Kowalski (brother), Shana Frederick (step-sister), Paul Dahler (brother-in-law), P.J. Dahler (nephew), Abigail Dahler (niece), Sofia Dahler (niece), Robert Kowalski (nephew), Corey Kowalski (great-nephew), Linda Yavorshak (wife; deceased) Stephanie Yavorshak / Flechette (step-daughter), Anna Karell (lover; deceased), Otso Karell / Ursa (son), Joseph Cahan (friend; presumed deceased), Russell Dhaese (friend; deceased), Sean Kircher (friend; deceased), Jerry Meyers (friend; deceased), Mustafa Rauf (friend; deceased), Philip Sonnemaker (friend; deceased)

Biography: Matt Kowalski was born the middle child to Eugene and Carol Kowalski, a middleclass family living in a small town in Virginia. Eugene was a Neo-Sapien capable of transforming into a bear. It was a talent he never used, fearing the social stigma that would accompany his being outted, and a talent he demanded his children never evoked either.

As 1978 began to conclude, 17-year-old Matt saw David of Moksha’s announcement that he was building a sovereign nation where Neo-Sapiens could be free of fear and oppression. Matt urged his father to take the family, but the man refused. Ultimately, Matt ran away from home, sojourned to New York, and left for Moksha.

There, he met Linda Yavorshak and her daughter Stephanie. A romance blossomed, and the two quickly married. Not long after, however, the world’s nations turned on Moksha and threatened the utopia they had worked to construct. In order to save its denizens, Walkabout displaced them around the globe. Matt found himself in Finland, with no idea where his wife and step-daughter were.

For years he tried to find them, aided all the way by Anna Karell. Eventually, Matt and Anna began a relationship—one that resulted in a son, Otso. For years, they lived as a loving family, but news of a former Mokshan’s fate drove Matt to leave another home and another family.

Rallying others from Moksha, Matt led them into the heart of Africa to bring down the warlord and his army, the Ugandan Unity Brigade. A small war began between the guerrillas Matt led and the super-powered mercenaries who captained General Basenji’s forces—one that ended when the UUB learned of Otso’s existence.

NVAE—Faustian Society Arc: Matt was reunited with his estranged son when Otso arrived in Uganda, accompanied by the UUB. Having seen Otso on the news, the group realized he could be manipulated into helping them find the guerilla’s camp. The moment he realized he had been helping the villains, Otso joined his father in fighting back. Along with Joseph Cahan, the pair had been tricked into charging through one of Skew’s portals, only to find themselves in Rwanda.

Following his extraction from Africa, Matt began campaigning to raise awareness of the UUB’s activities and imploring the United Nations to take action against them and dispatch the Vindicators. During one of his rallies, Ironside appeared with a few soldiers from the UUB. They began to open fire on the gathering before being swiftly brought down by a handful of New Vindicators who were nearby.

With the UN now believing the UUB to be moving out of Africa against Europe, UN officials began to listen more carefully to what Matt was saying, making it seem as though Matt’s war with General Basenji may be eminent.
  • STR 14 [32] (+11), DEX 14 (+2), CON 14 [30] (+10), INT 12 (+1), WIS 14 (+2), CHA 12 (+1)

SKILLS: Climb 0 (+19) Craft (structural) 4, Diplomacy 4, Intimidate 4, Knowledge (civics) 3, Knowledge (current events) 5, Knowledge (tactics) 4, Languages 2 (English [base], Finnish, German), Medicine 4, Notice 4 (+10), Profession (carpenter) 6, Sense Motive 4, Survival 4

FEATS: Endurance 1, Improved Initiative 1, Interpose, Leadership

POWERS: Container 9 (Bear Form; Enhanced Constitution 14, Enhanced Skills 3 [Climb 8, Notice 4], Enhanced Strength 14, Growth 2 [Extras: Duration {Continuous, +1}; Flaws: Permanent {-1}], Protection 2, Super-Senses 2 [Additional Senses: Low-Light Vision, Scent], Super-Strength 1; 2 free points)

COMBAT: Attack +4, Grapple +16, Damage +11, Defense +4 (+2 flat-footed), Knockback -6, Initiative +6

SAVES: Toughness +12, Fortitude +15, Reflex +6, Will +6

COMPLICATIONS: Enemy (Basenji, Bluster, Ironside, Skew, Sossus Vlei, Udall), Honor (Matt is a pacifist at heart, and only raises a fist when a life needs to be protected), Obsession (UUB), Prejudice (Neo-Sapien), Responsibility (Stephanie, Otso)

Abilities 20 + Skills 12 (48 ranks) + Feats 4 + Powers 45 + Combat 16 + Saves 13 = 110 points
Michuru wrote:There's one in every family: that guy who's weirdly obsessed with genealogy. I'm that guy. I'm the guy who bought genealogy software and trucks his laptop over to the more aged family member's homes to hound them for more information about those who've had the audacity to kick their nasty oxygen habit. On my computer, I keep several family trees. One is mine, another is the Aurelius family tree; one is for the Aesir, and one charts the descendants of the Fallen.

I'm mildly obsessive when it comes to my campaign world.

Anyway, a couple of weeks back, I got the itch to expand on Matt. I started filling in the family that had been previously referenced, and started deciding what's happened to them over the years since Matt ran away from home: his dad died, mom remarried, his sister met someone and started a family; so did his brother. The idea of there being a kid about Otso's age at the NVA in the States is way too tempting, and will probably happen now. Ironically, not long after I did this, McGuffin steered the in-game conversation to Matt's family, letting me start making use of all of this useless information.

With regards to Matt's actual build, it's pretty straight forward: I don't want him to be someone who really knows how to fight, and I couldn't really see him hitting ceilings of +15 damage/Toughness because holy crap. I also wanted to avoid the standard bruiser feat package (All-out Attack, Power Attack, Startle, Takedown Attack 2) and just went with this sort of sentinel suite of feats. He's undercosted, but he should be. His background (17 during Moksha) suggests he wouldn't have been on the frontlines, and he didn't do a whole lot of fighting in Finland. Most of his experience would be in Uganda, where he just sort of hit the ground running, so hopefully the build will reflect his relative inexperience.

On a sidenote, thanks to McGuffin for conceiving a great PC that inspires this build. Otso provided the basic structure, as well as laid out the character and background. I'm still floored someone thought to incorporate Moksha into their PC's background--I never would have considered that, man. I'm quite blessed with a group of awesome players, and you guys never cease to surprise me.
Michuru

#312: Ashworth

Post by Michuru »

ASHWORTH
(Power Level 10)

Height / Weight: 5’10” / 215 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: Brown / Green
Place of Birth / Date of Birth: Leeds, Yorkshire, England / October 4, 1973
Tags: #faculty, #leviathan, #nephilim, #nvae, #oubliette-137, #unitedkingdom

Physical Description: Ashworth is a pudgy man with wavy hair that’s seldom combed and bushy eyebrows. He is frequently seen wearing dark jeans, a dress shirt, and jacket.

Relationships: Leviathan (father), Cecil Ashworth V (stepfather), Lorelei Ashworth (mother)

Biography: For years, the Ashworth family has enjoyed a comfortable life made possible by the lands they have long controlled. As landed gentry, their income has come from managing territories that have passed from generation to generation.

Unbeknownst to many in the family, however, the current heir apparent is not a true Ashworth. In truth, Cecil V and his wife Lorelei were unable to conceive for years, and she was only able to find herself with child after a secret tryst with the newest member of the help.

Amos Gorman left the manor not long after the night he spent in Lorelei’s embrace, and no one has ever questioned the young Cecil’s paternity—not even after he startled a civics professor when his eyes became engulfed in blue flames.

Since then, the youth’s family have used their significant wealth to render Cecil the Younger’s abilities one of the best-kept secret in the United Kingdom—abilities that, after meeting experts in various fields, have allowed Cecil to breeze through academics, winning him several degrees in fields as diverse as English, comparative literature, engineering, philosophy, agrarian farming, economics, music theory, biochemistry, Urdu, and political sciences.

Unfortunately for Cecil, the knowledge he gleams from experts is only temporary. Once he absorbs someone else’s knowledge, he forgets what he’s previously learned, thus making many of his degrees useless. In his search for a way to retain knowledge, he encountered a magus and learned that he is the result of a fallen angel mating with a human; he learned the reason of the voice he sometimes hears, telling him that he’s never kissed a girl, and will die alone.

Cecil Ashworth learned the nature of his abilities, and the connection between infernal bloodlines and Neo-Sapien powers.

NVAE: Chaos—Ashworth arrived at the school following Laputa’s attack, with the headmistress intending to utilize him as a substitute teacher who could fill in for any members of the faculty who moonlight as Vindicators. Upon his arrival, he moved to help the students battle one of their own when Ellen Woolf transformed into a hellfire beast.

Since then, he has become a full-time member of the faculty.
  • STR 10, DEX 10, CON 10, INT 13 (+1), WIS 14 (+2), CHA 10

SKILLS: Bluff 4, Concentration 8 (+10), Knowledge (arcane lore) 4 (+5), Knowledge (art) 2 (+3), Knowledge (civics) 4 (+5), Knowledge (physical sciences) 4 (+5), Knowledge (popular culture) 4 (+5), Knowledge (theology and philosophy) 2 (+3), Notice 4 (+6), Profession (educator) 8 (+10), Sense Motive 4 (+6)

FEATS: Benefit 7 (Status [Ashworth], Wealth 6 [filthy rich]), Equipment 10

Equipment: cell phone, laptop; 48 free equipment points

POWERS: Hellfire Control 10 (Blue; Alternate Powers: Emotion Control 10 [Flaws: Limited to Despair {-1}], Strike 15 [hellfire sword; Power Feats: Improved Critical 1, Mighty]); Power Feats: Accurate 2), Mental Duplication 5 (Extras: Range [Perception, +2])

COMBAT: Attack +0 (+4 hellfire control), Grapple +0, Damage +0 (+15 hellfire sword), Defense +0, Knockback -0, Initiative +0

SAVES: Toughness +0, Fortitude +3, Reflex +3, Will +9

DRAWBACKS: Noticeable (glowing eyes, -1 point)

COMPLICATIONS: Prejudice (SPB)

Abilities 7 + Skills 12 (48 ranks) + Feats 17 + Powers 49 + Combat 0 + Saves 13 – Drawbacks 1 = 97 points
Michuru wrote:In an attempt to build a faculty that's less-reliable in combat than the Vindicators, we have Ashworth. Granted, a perception-ranged DC 20 Will save makes him a threat to anyone looking to attack the school, but he's not hard to miss, and can't take a punch, so he may not get much mileage out of his trump. With his unique abilities, however, Ashworth makes for a nifty substitute teacher on par with whoever's class he's teaching. Someone needs to duck out of their German class? No problem! With one look, Ashworth can learn to speak German! Need someone to fill in for AP calculus? He's got you covered.
Last edited by Michuru on Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michuru

#313: Crepuscular

Post by Michuru »

CREPUSCULAR
(Power Level 8)

Height / Weight: 5’4” / 142 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: Brown / Green
Place of Birth / Date of Birth: Sibiu, Romania / October 15, 1994
First Appearance: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #18
Tags: #neosapien, #nvae, #oubliette137, #romania

Physical Description: Iosef is muscular for a 14-year-old boy. His hair is naturally curly—an aspect that isn’t obvious, given that he sports a military cut. He tends to favor tight-fitting clothes.

Relationships: Bogdan Ciobanu (father; deceased), Lavinia Ciobanu (mother; deceased), Radu Radikovich (adoptive father), Adela Radikovich (adoptive sister), Vladislav Radikovich (adoptive brother), Herta Radikovich (adoptive sister), Ilena Radikovich (adoptive sister), Adam Radikovich (adoptive brother), Simon Radikovich (adoptive brother)

Biography: When Iosef Ciobanu was eight-years-old, he hated going to school. Nelu Stan was a bully who delighted in picking on the physically weaker Iosef. One day, Iosef had had enough: instead of running, he decided to fight back. As he began to lose, however, something unexpected happened: Iosef sucked the light out of the area, leaving it darker than night.

Iosef’s father later explained to him that he was a Neo-Sapien and that the boy had inherited the man’s abilities. During the day, Iosef could darken an area, but at night, he would bring blinding illumination.

Fearing the persecution that had driven him to hide his powers, Bogdan Ciobanu moved his family from their native Sibiu to Craiova.

One week later, their new home caught fire. Iosef was rescued, but his parents had died of inhalation. At least, that was what was listed as the official cause of death for Bogdan and Lavinia Ciobanu. The truth was that the two were murdered while they slept—killed by Radu Radikovich, the man responsible for the fire that destroyed all evidence of his deeds.

Radu used his connections with the government to secure guardianship of Iosef. Taking him to Arad, Radu proceeded to teach Iosef arnis, a fierce, weapon-based fighting style. He also stressed history, philosophy, and strategy, as well as religious pontification. In the four years Iosef has lived with Radu, he has become a deadly soldier in the war Radu appears to be planning.

Armed with the knowledge that Radu was creating orphans for his own clandestine purpose, Candyman and Tantivy returned home to put an end to their adoptive father’s methods. Joined by Greystone, they planned to strike Radu while he slept, only to have Domingo beat them to the punch. As a battle began, it wasn’t long before Iosef and the other children joined the battle. (NVAE #18)
  • STR 12 (+1), DEX 12 (+1), CON 12 (+1), INT 12 (+1), WIS 10, CHA 10

SKILLS: Climb 3 (+4), Concentration 4, Knowledge (history) 4 (+5), Knowledge (tactics) 4 (+5), Knowledge (theology and philosophy) 4 (+5), Languages 3 (English, French, Romanian [base], Romanian Sign Language), Notice 3, Sense Motive 3

FEATS: Accurate Attack, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 1, Improved Block 2, Improved Disarm, Improved Pin, Power Attack, Quick Draw 1, Stunning Attack

POWERS: Dazzle 8 (visual; Alternate Powers: Blast 8 [light]; Extras: Area [perception, +1]; Flaws: Limited [night, -1], Range [touch, -1]), Obscure 8 (visual; Alternate Powers: Blast 8 [darkness]; Flaws: Limited [day, -1], Range [touch, -1])

Equipment: balisong knife, comm link, GPS receiver, New Vindicators uniform (+2 Toughness, Immunity 2 [cold and heat])

COMBAT: Attack +8, Grapple +9, Damage +1 (+8 blast), Defense +8 (+4 flat-footed), Knockback -1 (-0 flat-footed), Initiative +1

SAVES: Toughness +5 (+1 flat-footed), Fortitude +5, Reflex +5, Will +2

COMPLICATIONS: Prejudice (Neo-Sapien), Reputation (Radu’s Soldiers), Secret (Iosef has a crush on his “sister” Ilena)

Abilities 8 + Skills 7 (28 ranks) + Feats 13 + Powers 22 + Combat 32 + Saves 10 = 92 points
Michuru wrote:The first of Radu's kids, Iosef's power varies depending on the time of day. By day, he generates darkness; at night, he gives off a blinding light. He can channel both into an energy blast. He's also got some of Radu's training under his belt, making him somewhat useful in a fight. Still, he's gimmicky in that he can really only blind and blast. Useful, but I don't think too terribly broken in terms of his place in the game. This build reflects him after joining the school, as reflected in his making use of the floating equipment points.
Michuru

#314: Cottingwood

Post by Michuru »

COTTINGWOOD
(Power Level 10)

Height / Weight: 5’0” / 90 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: Brown / Brown
Place of Birth / Date of Birth: London, England / September 26, 1977
First Appearance: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #11 (mentioned), New Vindicators Academy of Europe #12 (full)
Tags: #esper, #row64, #unitedkingdom

Physical Description: Abigail is a pretty, slender woman with long, dark-brown hair that hasn’t been cut since her apprehension; as she hasn’t seen the outside of her cell in two years, she is pale of complexion. A guest of Row 64, her wardrobe consists of white shirts and grey pants.

Relationships: Phillip Drummond (brother-in-law), Cynthia Drummond (sister), Logan Drummond (nephew)

Biography: In February of 2006, it was announced that Kate Middleton would receive her own twenty-four hour security detail, supplied by the Royalty Protection branch. While many speculated that this was a sign that news of an engagement was soon to follow, no such announcement came.

The truth of the matter was, Kate Middleton had been attacked by an SPB. Abigail Cottingwood was enamored with the royal family, and fervently devoured every scrap of news—no matter how inane—pertaining to the royal family. Her interest bordered on obsession, and with the discovery of her Esper abilities, Cottingwood took her obsession too far.

She began to stalk Middleton, looking for an opportunity to get close. Once that opportunity showed itself, Abigail traded bodies with the woman, and found herself on the arm of the handsome prince.

Now in Cottingwood’s body, Middleton sought to prove her true identity. Initially dismissed as insane, she was ultimately able to convince her own family she was who she said she was, and together, they campaigned to expose Cottingwood as an imposter.

MI18, the section of the Directorate of Military Intelligence, moved into action. After ambushing the woman, Cottingwood awoke in an undisclosed location, where she was tortured. With only her own body as a refuge, Cottingwood switched back. The torture ended, Middleton was extracted, and Row 64 became Cottingwood’s new home.

With Mira Linden’s mind trapped in a clone of Martin Curie, Agent Arnett of MI6 arranged for the pair to meet with Abigail in Row 64. While the transfer of minds was initially a success, Abigail became panicked when Martin’s body began to melt with her in it. In her panic she was unable to use her powers, and Mira exposed her own abilities to help her.

Seeing Mira’s powers as the key to her freedom, Abigail switched again, and a tussle erupted. Abigail blasted through the ceiling of her apartment, only to discover that her prison was actually on the Astral Plane, and thus, escape was impossible.

Taking pity on her, Mira promised to do everything in her power to see Abigail freed. (NVAE #12)

SKILLS: Concentration 6, Knowledge (current events) 1, Knowledge (popular culture) 5, Profession (waitress) 4

FEATS: None

POWERS: Mind Shield 10, Mind Switch 10 (Extras: Duration [Continuous, +1])

Equipment: None

COMBAT: Attack +0, Grapple +0, Damage +0, Defense +0, Knockback -0, Initiative +0

SAVES: Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Reflex +0, Will +0 (+10 vs. mental)

COMPLICATIONS: Obsession (Royal Family)

Abilities 0 + Skills 4 (16 ranks) + Feats 0 + Powers 40 + Combat 0 + Saves 0 = 44 points
Michuru wrote:I've known for a while that I wanted to introduce a team of Neo-Sapiens in Her Majesty's Service. From the inception of the NVAE game, it was decided that Kirstie's father would be sort of the M of such a group. As the wheels began turning, I turned to their job. The idea that they would bring in super-powered threats to crown and country was appealing, and while I've already gone to the well a time or two concerning a prison on the Astral Plane, the idea had merit. Then, I tried to concoct the sorts of criminals who would be here. Around this time, Arthur Eld brought the Blue Knight into the NVAE game, and with Paladin acting as a sort of Batman analogue, Row 64 being our Arkham Asylum kind of fit.

Usually, with villains, I'll begin with an idea for the power, and spiral out from around that. With these people, I wanted their story first. What did they do to end up here? Was MI18 the sort of organization that would jail someone because of what they could be, or did you actually have to do something to be sent here? In the middle of brainstorming British criminals, I had the idea for someone who's whole thing was an obsession with the royal family... then acting on their obsession. Really, I'm more infatuated with the background than the build.

On her own, Abigail's not a threat, but if she has access to some fire power? She could maybe be annoying. More than anything, the problem with fighting her will almost always be coaxing her back to her own body.
Michuru

#315: Oates

Post by Michuru »

OATES
(Power Level 6)

Height / Weight: 5’10” / 166 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: Dark Blonde / Green
Place of Birth / Date of Birth: Liverpool, England, United Kingdom (October 8, 1979)
First Appearance: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #18
Tags: #mi18, #neosapien, #unitedkingdom

Physical Description: Gerald is a handsome, physically fit man in his early thirties. He has medium-length hair. Frequently seen in dress clothes and a long coat, he detests wearing anything around his neck and seldom dons a tie, while frequently leaving the top button of his shirt undone.

Relationships: Brenda Oates (sister; deceased), David Oates (nephew), Matthew Hall (partner)

Biography: Gerald grew up infatuated with the tales of Sherlock Holmes, and dreamed of one day becoming a detective. As he grew older, he joined the police force. He served a quiet community in Dorset and began to grow bored. He yearned for something exciting to happen, and something exciting did happen: a body turned up in Christchurch Harbor. It was his sister, who lived in Liverpool with her young son, naked and with a gunshot wound to the back and chest.

Gerald knew how she had gotten there: they were both Neo-Sapiens capable of teleporting through water. He deduced that she had been attacked and, desperate to escape, tried to use her powers to reach him.

Fearing for the fate of his nephew, Gerald returned to Liverpool. At her flat, he found the tub full and reasoned that she had been bathing when she was attacked. Given there was no sign of forced entry, he started to suspect those closest to her.

Ultimately, he discovered that she had been murdered by an obsessive coworker, but when it looked like the timetable might exonerate him (an alibi placed him in Liverpool and made it impossible for him to have dumped the body), Gerald was forced to expose the ability he and his sister shared.

While he feared outing himself would ruin his chance of becoming DCI Oates. However, it drew the attention of Vauxhall Cross—MI18, in particular. Since then, Oates has been investigating cases involving super-powered beings. He is frequently paired with Matthew Hall, with whom he is romantically involved, and raising his nephew with.

When an agent of the Avalon Academy for Young Ladies compromised the mind of William Arnett, Oates was dispatched to bring his senior officer in. While escorting the man from the school, he and his partner encountered a desperate Mira Linden. Begging them to take her to Abigail Cottingwood, a brief battle began, concluding when Oates deceived the New Vindicator and dumping her in the Danube. (NVAE #18)
  • STR 14 (+2), DEX 12 (+1), CON 14 (+2), INT 13 (+1), WIS 12 (+1), CHA 10

SKILLS: Climb 2 (+4), Drive 6 (+7), Gather Information 4, Intimidate 6, Investigate 8 (+9), Knowledge (arcane lore) 2 (+3), Knowledge (current events) 4 (+5), Knowledge (streetwise) 4 (+5), Medicine 2 (+3), Notice 8 (+9), Profession (government agent) 4 (+5), Profession (police officer) 4 (+5), Search 4 (+5), Sense Motive 4 (+5), Swim 2 (+4)

FEATS: Attack Specialization 1 (light pistol), Benefits 1 (Security Clearance), Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 2

POWERS: Teleport 6 (MAX: 20 miles; Power Feats: Progression 2 [500 lbs.]; Extras: Accurate [+1]; Flaws: Medium [water, -1])

Equipment: cell phone, handcuffs, pistol (+3 damage)—2 free equipment points

COMBAT: Attack +6 (+8 light pistol), Grapple +8, Damage +2 (+3 pistol), Defense +6, Knockback -2 (-1 flat-footed), Initiative +1

SAVES: Toughness +4 (+2 flat-footed), Fortitude +5, Reflex +3, Will +6

COMPLICATIONS: Prejudice (Neo-Sapien), Responsibility (David), Secret (MI20)

Abilities 15 + Skills 16 (64 ranks) + Feats 6 + Powers 14 + Combat 24 + Saves 9 = 84 points
Michuru81 wrote:One-half of MI18's Hall and Oates, Oates embodies the philosophy for MI18: secret agents who just happen to have a super-power. He's pretty straight-forward. I envision the men and women of MI18 to only be PL 6. They shouldn't be powerful enough to save the world.

Honestly, if I wasn't juggling too many projects as it is, I could see myself writing Hall & Oates. There's something about a pair of spies--one who's a wizard and one who can teleport when he's immersed in water--who happen to be lovers raising a young child. That practically writes itself.
Michuru

#316: Grigorescu

Post by Michuru »

GRIGORESCU
(Power Level 10)

Height / Weight: 5’9” / 160 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: White / Blue
Place of Birth / Date of Birth: Timișoara, Romania / October 7, 1955
Tags: #faculty, #nvae, #oubliette-137, #romania

Physical Description: Squinty-eyed and with a cleft chin that seems to vanish straight into his chin, Mister Grigorescu is perpetually cheerful. He has a penchant for wearing slacks with polo shirts he unbuttons, letting the cottony patch of chest hair he sports be seen at all times.

Relationships: Mary Grigorescu (wife)

Biography: For years, Stephen Grigorescu had lived with a secret. He had served the community for years as the owner of the unfortunately named S&M Photography while his wife taught literature at a junior high school. One autumn day, a man ran a red light and T-boned his precious sports car. The two argued over who was at fault and, in a rage, Stephen used his powers to emphasize his point. He blinded everyone who was looking at him, and revealed to his hometown that he was a Neo-Sapien.

When rioters burned his store to the ground, Stephen and Mary fled their home and sought sanctuary at the New Vindicators Academy of Europe. There, the pair folded their talents into education: Stephen teaches photography and photo manipulation, in addition to business and marketing classes. His wife, meanwhile, has become the teacher in charge of the growing junior high populace at the academy.

SKILLS: Computers 2, Craft (digital) 4, Knowledge (business) 5, Language 2 (English, Romanian [base]), Profession (photographer) 5

POWERS: Dazzle 10 (visual; Extras: Area [Perception, +1]; Flaws: Check Required [Concentration, -1], Distracting [-1], Range [Touch, -1])

Equipment: cell phone, computer, sports car—1 free equipment point

SAVES: Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Reflex +0, Will +2

Abilities 0 + Skills 5 (18 ranks) + Feats 2 + Powers 5 + Combat 0 + Saves 2 = 14 points
Michuru wrote:As I said with Ashworth, the primary goal at this point was to make the faculty of the school less dependable in battle. Grigorescu is pretty pathetic here. He may surprise us one day with his dazzle aura, but I would really doubt it.

The guy also serves to help with the world-building a bit. Despite the notion that Neo-Sapien powers are heritable, you don't see a lot of distant relatives. Sure, there's the occasional parent/child set or siblings, but one goal with Grigorescu is the idea that he's Iosef's second-cousin or something inconsequential. It's completely pointless, but it's there: these two characters share a Nephilim ancestor.
Michuru

#317: Wolf

Post by Michuru »

WOLF
(Power Level 3)

Height / Weight: 5’9” / 156 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: Brown / Hazel
Place of Birth / Date of Birth: Vienna, Austria (October 30, 1993)
Tags: #austria, #crux, #human, #oubliette-137

Physical Description: Wolf is a lean youth with high cheek bones. He prefers a Caesar hair cut and comfortable clothes—frequently seen in dark T-shirts, hole-riddled jeans, and ratty sneakers.

Relationships: Lukas Schwarz (friend), Matthias Binder (friend), Violet Lear, Eve Robbins

Biography: Born and raised in Vienna, Wolf has been lifelong friends with Lukas Schwarz and Matthias Binder.

While out one day with his friends, Wolf ran into two students from the New Vindicators Academy, Eve and Violet (NVAE #12). As the two groups began spending more and more time with each other, Wolf and Lukas both began to develop feelings for Violet, the latter of the pair becoming the object of Eve’s affection. The two boys decided neither would make a move on Violet—a parley that was sundered when Lukas kissed Violet.

That night, Wolf made a play for Eve, grabbing her rear in view of another New Vindicator, Mike Mitchell. Wolf and Mike brawled in Lux, leading to the teenagers being ejected from the club. (NVAE #13)

Not long after, they returned to Lux. Wolf, in an attempt to get in on Violet’s good graces, attempted to use his connections with the Albanian mafia to remove Rose Caspian from Vienna. When his associates failed, Wolf was arrested on multiple charges. (NVAE #15)
  • STR 14 (+2), DEX 12 (+1), CON 14 (+2), INT 10, WIS 11, CHA 10

SKILLS: Bluff 4, Intimidate 4, Languages 1 (English, German [base]), Knowledge (popular culture) 3, Knowledge (streetwise) 4, Notice 2, Search 2, Sense Motive 4, Stealth 4 (+5)

FEATS: Equipment 3

POWERS: None

Equipment: cell phone, heavy pistol (+4 damage)—6 free equipment points

COMBAT: Attack +2, Grapple +4, Damage +2 (+4 heavy pistol), Defense +2 (+1 flat-footed), Knockback -1, Initiative +1

SAVES: Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Reflex +2, Will +4

COMPLICATIONS: Reputation

Abilities 11 + Skills 7 (28 ranks) + Feats 3 + Powers 0 + Combat 8 + Saves 6 = 38 points
Michuru wrote:There's really nothing to say about Wolf. He's a wannabe career criminal. I'm hoping to evolve him over time, from teenage thug to... eh. He may not have the brains to be a kingpin, but he could end up being a thorn in some hero's side someday.
Michuru

#318: Mirabilis

Post by Michuru »

MIRABILIS
(Power Level 10)

Height / Weight: 5’8” / 220 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: White / Blue
Place of Birth / Date of Birth: Ilchester, Somerset, England / 1214
First Appearance: Illuminati #4
Tags: #Æsir, #faculty, #illuminati, #nvae, #united kingdom

Physical Appearance: Doctor Bacon appears to be a man in his late seventies—balding with unkempt white hair on the sides and back to match his beard. He is potbellied, and tends to favor simple clothes: plain T-shirts and khaki pants with sensible shoes.

Relationships: Hippocrates of Kos (mentor), Isaac Newton (colleague), Nick Bottom (colleague), John O’Reilly (colleague; deceased)

Biography: History remembers Roger Bacon as a thirteenth century philosopher, friar of the Franciscan order, and a modern experimental scientist truly ahead of his time. Always endeavoring to advance medieval science, Bacon championed calendar reform, pushed for to incorporate the study of science into religious education, and tirelessly worked to advance the field of optics.

When he died in 1292, he had built a proud legacy… and then he worked to build another one.

Unbeknownst to Doctor Mirabilis, he was an Æsir—the son of Athena, the goddess of wisdom. As such, he owed many of his revelations to her acumen.

The man escaped his own grave and—knowing his reputation as an esoteric, and fearing that the church might do worse than put him under house arrest—he fled his homeland.

He spent the next few centuries traveling the world, continuing his education. Still fearing that his identity might be discovered, he created a code and began to chronicle his discoveries in this secret language. Some of his journals have survived the ages—the Voynich manuscript for one. Others were found by Leonardo da Vinci, who proceeded to pass off most of Bacon’s innovations as his own.

Eventually, he met Hippocrates of Kos, the Father of Western Medicine. Under him, Bacon became a true doctor. He learned everything he could from his mentor, and yet they disagreed on what to be done with their skill…

Firmly believing in the scientific method, Bacon asserted that only by practicing medicine could they ever truly advance the field; Hippocrates, however, had spent years experimenting on himself and abhorred what he had become. He took a stance of total nonmaleficene—insisting the best thing they could do for humanity was to do nothing at all.

The two parted ways, but would find themselves colleagues again when the enigmatic Indrid Cold invited them to join the Illuminati—a consortium of timeless entities he tasked with safeguarding the world from the Sephirot, a device capable of wiping out all of existence.

Eventually, Cold began to fear the Illuminati for the relationships it was forging. He moved to dismantle it, commanding shard-bearers to entrust their fragment of the Sephirot to a new generation. Bacon gave his to a colleague—Doctor John O’Reilly. (Illuminati #1)

Without the responsibility of the Illuminati on his shoulders, Bacon joined Médecins Sans Frontières. He journeyed to Central Africa, where he began using his skills to help combat the epidemics plaguing the people there.

During his time in Uganda, Bacon sojourned to Bombo, to request supplies from the military hospital there. Along the way, he was attacked by the UUB and killed. A day later, he awoke along the road. Still intending to help the malaria-inflicted people he was tending to, he snuck into the UUB-controlled Bombo, only to be recognized by his killers.

His immortality revealed, the UUB wondered what to do with him. Attempting to sell the man caught them the attention of another former member of the Illuminati: Jack Dawkins, the Artful Dodger. Dawkins arranged for Bacon to be sold to Al-Akhwan, who believed his immortality could be reverse-engineered and bestowed upon their soldiers.

Such a transaction was impeded by the arrival of the New Vindicators: with Magnitude and the Blue Knight creating a distraction outside of the hospital, Greystone and Ursa delved into the basement to retrieve the doctor, won him his freedom, and invited him to join the New Vindicators Academy of Europe as the acting physician. (NVAE #19)
  • STR 10, DEX 10, CON 10, INT 18 (+4), WIS 10 [20] (+5), CHA 18 (+4)

SKILLS: Bluff 4 (+8), Diplomacy 4 (+8), Concentration 4 (+9), Craft (chemical) 8 (+12), Craft (mechanical) 10 (+14), Handle Animal 4 (+8), Knowledge (arcane lore) 6 (+10), Knowledge (history) 6 (+10), Knowledge (life sciences) 10 (+14), Knowledge (physical sciences) 10 (+14), Knowledge (theology and philosophy) 10 (+14), Languages 8 (Arabic, English [base], French, German, Italian, Latin, Russian, Swahili), Medicine 10 (+15), Notice 4 (+9), Ride 4, Sense Motive 4 (+9)

FEATS: Improvised Tools, Jack-of-all-Trades, Skill Mastery 1 (Knowledge [life sciences], Knowledge [physical sciences], Knowledge [theology and philosophy], Medicine)

POWERS: Enhanced Wisdom 10, Immortality, Regeneration 10 (Recovery Bonus 9, Resurrection 1 [1 day]; Extras: True Resurrection [+1])

SAVES: Toughness +0, Fortitude +4, Reflex +4, Will +15

COMPLICATIONS: Enemy (Siegfried), Honor (pacifist), Secret (Immortality)

Abilities 16 + Skills 27 (106 ranks) + Feats 3 + Powers 26 + Combat 0 + Saves 18 = 90 points
Michuru wrote:First off, with regards to the tags... A while back, I started plugging them into my campaign bible to help me better find characters I otherwise might have missed. Need to know who all's an Esper? CTRL + F, put in "#esper", and bam! At first, I didn't see how that could help anyone else, but then I realized we can search the forums too, so... viola.

Bacon doesn't have his Wisdom score capped so as not to break the game. As he currently is, he hits his caps for the Medicine skill (pretty much what he's here for) without him solving any of the mysteries that crop up around campus. If Bacon were functioning at his limit for common sense, there's little reason why he wouldn't pick up on everything that I've got going on, thus making the game no fun for anyone.
Michuru

#319: Graf Oscar

Post by Michuru »

GRAF OSCAR
(Power Level 8)

Height / Weight: 5’10” / 152 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: Light brown / Green
Place of Birth / Date of Birth: Vienna, Austria, Oubliette-1127 / April 5, 1992
Place of Death / Date of Death: The Elpis / June 19, 2009
Home Dimension: Oubliette-1127
First Appearance: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #14
Tags: #armada, #neosapien, #oubliette1127

Relationships: Franz Ferdinand von Habsburg (father), Victoria of Gloucester (mother), Sophia von Habsburg (sister), Kasamir Flaegler (boyfriend), Ritter Gwyn (knight), Ritter Xun (knight)

Physical Appearance: Little stands out about this 16-year-old boy. He has short hair and an average physique. As a noble he was accustomed to wearing only the finest of clothes. Since his exile, he has been forced to settle for whatever he can.

Biography: The second child of Emperor Habsburg, Oscar was not predicted to take the throne—much to the displeasure of many in the Austrian Empire. His sister, Sophia, was a dwarf, and in a world were nothing mattered more than the appearance of power, many feared what would happen if someone so weak in appearance ascended to the throne.

Still, Oscar never entertained thoughts of staging a coup or out-right assassinating his sister. Instead, he considered running away. His father had arranged for Oscar to wed a special from one of Great Britain’s territories—a Nephilim named Gabrielle Farouk. Oscar did not love Gabrielle Farouk, though… Oscar was in love with Herzog Kasamir Flaegler.

As the union of two men could not hope to produce a stronger heir, their relationship would have been forbidden. Oscar’s lover was not so easily dissuaded, however: he concocted a plan to first fake his death, then stage the suicide of his grief-stricken fiancé, Crown Princess Sophia. With her out of the way, they would remove Oscar’s father from power. No one was above the Emperor, and with Oscar on the throne, no one would be able to speak out against the their love.

It was a plan Oscar didn’t want them to go through with, for fear something would go wrong with faking the Herzog’s death. While they didn’t experience any hiccups there, their plan failed ultimately thanks to the servant of the Astrolabe. The Drifter left the scene of the Herzog’s “death” and, fearing that it would result in war, returned with his otherworldly double: the Kasamir Flaegler from Oubliette-137.

Accompanying them were other New Vindicators from that universe: the Blue Knight, Greystone, Lluvia, and Verve. Together, the young heroes uncovered the Herzog’s plot and moved to stop anyone else from dying. (NVAE #13-15)
  • STR 10, DEX 10, CON 10, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 14 (+2)

SKILLS: Concentration 6, Diplomacy 4 (+6), Knowledge (civics) 5, Languages 1 (English, German), Notice 4, Sense Motive 4

FEATS: Benefit 1 (Status [Prince of the Austrian Empire, Oubliette-1127]), Connected

POWERS: Energy Aura 5 (cold; Alternate Powers: Augment Magnetism [Environmental Control 5 {100’ radius; extreme cold} & Magnetic Control 5], Blast 6 [cold; Extras: Alternate Save {Fortitude, +1}], Environmental Control 5 [100’ radius; extreme cold & hamper movement], Snare 12; Drawbacks: Power Loss [extreme heat, -3 points]), Flight 5 (250 MPH), Magnetic Control 8 (3 tons; Alternate Powers: Attract/Repel 8, Blast 8 [magnetic force], Damage 5 [Extras: Area {Burst, +1}], Environmental Control 5 [100’; distraction {DC 15}], Snare 8), Protection 12 (Extras: Impervious [+1]), Super-Strength 5

Augmented Magnetic Control 13 (100 tons; Alternate Powers: Attract/Repel 13, Blast 12 [magnetic force], Damage 6 [Extras: Area {Burst, +1}], Environmental Control 6 [250’ radius; distraction {DC 15}], Snare 12)

COMBAT: Attack +4, Grapple +9, Damage +0, Defense +4 (+2 flat-footed), Knockback -12, Initiative +0

SAVES: Toughness +12 (+12 Impervious), Fortitude +2, Reflex +2, Will +6

COMPLICATIONS: Reputation (Traitor to the Empire), Secret (Homosexual)

Abilities 4 + Skills 6 (24 ranks) + Feats 2 + Powers 82 + Combat 16 + Saves 10 = 120 points
Michuru wrote:The cornerstone of Oubliette-1127 is the noble families trying to breed more powers into their lines, which creates some cool combos in some nobles, like Oscar here. The Drifter told the New Vindicators how Oscar's powers came about:
"Okay, I told you how a Nephilim named Wilhelm used magnetic powers to save Archduke Ferdinand, then married his daughter. Their child manifested the same magnetic powers, showing the world that powers could be passed from parent to child." She mapped out Wilhelm's family tree. "Empress Sophie arranged her son's marriage: Ludwig von Hohenberg married Anne Pichler, a special with unbreakable skin. Their son, Elias, was invulnerable, and could manipulate magnetic fields. He married Clara Wagner, who has super-strength.

"There son's the current emperor: Franz Ferdinand von Hohenberg. He married an Englishwoman: Victoria of Gloucester, who can generate ice."

"So, the princess and her dickhead brother are invincible, super-strong, metal-controlling, ice-makers?" Gaspar rolled his eyes. "Oh, good! I thought this might be too easy..."
The first trick was how to represent two different types of energy control: cold and magnetism. I considered just buying the Blast power and APing each ability's tricks from that. That seemed... meh. I considered APing one off of the other. Meh. Then I settled on what you see above: Magnetic Control and Energy Aura. From there, I decided that I wanted each aspect of his powers to have a niche. In order to distinguish him from his big sister, Oscar can't actually do anything pretty with his ice--it's very raw and powerful. He coats himself in it, fires it off, or lets it pour over everything around him. There's no creating objects or manipulating the weather to summon up a snow storm--just power. With that in mind, I didn't want his magnetism to let him sculpt anything--just be something he throws around wildly.

The part I'm happiest with is Oscar's Augment Magnetism power. Magnetism works best in cold environments, and I wanted to try and somehow reflect that. I initially considered giving him Boost Magnetic Control off his Energy Aura, but I realized pretty quickly how that could break him, as he could just keep boosting it. Or, he could do it, then switch to something else. That didn't represent what I wanted to do. I wanted Oscar to be able to make it so cold around him that his magnetic abilities got a boost in power. If the cold goes away, so does the boost.

If he literally just put the points from his EA into MC, it also wouldn't reflect what I wanted. The cold needed to be there. Since I already bought his Environmental Controls together, we just made another power: he makes it cold AND makes his magnetism surge.

As he is, he's okay with magnetism. If he brings on the cold, though... his magnetism swells, letting his Blast and Snare his his ceiling, but also giving him a lot more strength when it comes to throwing metal around.

Lastly, I went back and forth on his combat scores. On some level, I didn't want him to have any--I wanted him to be this spoiled prince who had never ever been in a fight. I still argue that he is, but the Drifter insisted that this world treated the specials like nuclear weapons. Their mentality would make them be prepared for war, so Oscar would have had a little training. Probably not as much as anyone else, but some...

As it stands... Oscar could be a major threat depending on the dice. Without that experience, the odds of him hitting anyone are dismal, but if he does? DC 22 Reflex save vs. snare. If he's boosting his magnetism, he forces DC 27 Toughness saves on a hit. Meanwhile, he shrugs off most damage thrown at him. Still, against the Blue Knight or Fluxx, his lackluster Fortitude or Will will put him down pretty quickly.
Last edited by Michuru on Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Michuru

#320: Ritter Xun

Post by Michuru »

RITTER XUN
(Power Level 8)

Height / Weight: 5’4” / 158 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: Black / Brown
Place of Birth / Date of Birth: New Osaka, China, Empire of Great Japan, Oubliette-1127 (July 28, 1991)
Home Dimension: Oubliette-1127
First Appearance: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #14
Tags: #armada, #leviathan, #nephilim, #oubliette1127

Physical Description: Ritter Xun’s long hair is typically worn in a tight braid. He is often seen wearing a tan hanfu robe.

Relationships: Graf Oscar (lord), Ritter Gwyn (brother in arms)

Biography: Although he had been born in the Empire of Great Japan, Xun was not Japanese. Despite the power he wielded, he would never become a samurai. Rather, he was the property of a samurai—breeding stock for a lesser noble’s daughter, if his master saw fit. Wanting something more for himself, he left his homeland and entered the Austrian Empire. There, he offered his gifts to any noble who would take him on as their ritter.

Ultimately, it was Graf Oscar, brother to the heir apparent, who elected to knight the young man—an act Xun was eternally thankful for.

When he heard Herzog Kasamir’s plan, Xun agreed to do everything he could. Against the wishes of his lord, he journeyed with Gabrielle Farouk to Sweden, summoned a small group of demonic warriors, garbed them in black robes, and let Gabrielle send them to attack the engineer of their plan.

Their machinations were eventually uncovered by a group of specials from another dimension—the New Vindicators from Oubliette-137. Xun was ambushed by the Blue Knight, along with Ritter Christian and Gabrielle, and ultimately undone.
  • STR 16 (+3), DEX 14 (+2), CON 16 (+3), INT 10, WIS 14 (+2), CHA 10

SKILLS: Intimidate 8, Knowledge (tactics) 6, Language 2 (Chinese [base], English, German), Notice 4 (+6), Sense Motive 4 (+6)

FEATS: Fearless, Power Attack, Startle, Takedown Attack 2

POWERS: Hellfire Control 8 (black; Alternate Powers: Emotion Control 8 [Flaws: Limited to Jealousy {-1}], Mental Blast 8, Strike 5 [hook swords; Power Feats: Improved Critical 1, Mighty, Split Attack]), Summon Demon 6 (Extras: Fanatical [+1], Horde [+1], Type [Demons, +2])

COMBAT: Attack +8, Grapple +11, Damage +3 (+8 soul weapon), Defense +8 (+4 flat-footed), Knockback -4 (-2 flat-footed), Initiative +10

SAVES: Toughness +6 (+3 flat-footed), Fortitude +5, Reflex +4, Will +8

DRAWBACKS: Involuntary Transformation (hellfire beast, uncommon frequency, cannot resist, -4 points), Noticeable (eyes glow black when he uses his powers, -1 point), Vulnerable (mithral, uncommon frequency, major intensity, -3 points)

COMPLICATIONS: Responsibility (Ritter)

Abilities 20 + Skills 6 (24 ranks) + Feats 5 + Powers 55 + Combat 32 + Saves 10 – Drawbacks 8 = 120 points
Michuru81 wrote:Comments to follow...
Last edited by Michuru on Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Michuru

#321: Diyu

Post by Michuru »

DIYU
(Power Level 8)

Height / Weight: 5’4” / 158 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: Black / Brown
Place of Birth / Date of Birth: Shenzhen, Guangdong, China (July 28, 1991)
First Appearance: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #14 (other)
Tags: #leviathan, #nephilim, #nvaa, #oubliette137

Physical Description: Xun sports a suit of lean muscle and short hair. When not in the school uniform, he tends to prefer to wear a black chang quan uniform.

Relationships: …

Biography: As a child, Xun was tormented by the voice in his head. His mother, fearing that her child was mentally ill, sought to quell the darkness rising up in him. Their neighbor suggested the boy learn martial arts as an outlet, and Xun began to learn the art of chángquán.
  • STR 16 (+3), DEX 16 (+3), CON 16 (+3), INT 10, WIS 14 (+2), CHA 10

SKILLS: Acrobatics 6 (+9), Concentration 6 (+8), Intimidate 6, Knowledge (theology and philosophy) 4 Language 2 (Chinese [base], English, Japanese), Notice 4 (+6), Sense Motive 4 (+6)

FEATS: Acrobatic Bluff, Attack Focus (melee) 4, Defensive Roll 3, Dodge Focus 2, Equipment 2, Evasion 1, Fearless, Improved Block 2, Improved Initiative 2, Power Attack, Takedown Attack 2

POWERS: Hellfire Control 8 (black; Alternate Powers: Create Object 8, Emotion Control 8 [Flaws: Limited to Jealousy {-1}], Strike 3 [hook swords; Power Feats: Improved Critical 1, Mighty, Split Attack]), Summon Demonic Imps 6 (Extras: Fanatical [+1], Horde [+1])

Equipment: cell phone, commlink, GPS receiver, New Vindicators uniform (+2 Toughness, Immunity [cold / heat])—3 free equipment points

COMBAT: Attack +6 (+10 melee), Grapple +13, Damage +3 (+6 soul weapon), Defense +8 (+3 flat-footed), Knockback -4 (-2 flat-footed), Initiative +11

SAVES: Toughness +8 (+5 flat-footed), Fortitude +5, Reflex +9, Will +4

DRAWBACKS: Involuntary Transformation (hellfire beast, uncommon frequency, cannot resist, -4 points), Noticeable (eyes glow black when he uses his powers, -1 point), Vulnerable (mithral, uncommon frequency, major intensity, -3 points)

COMPLICATIONS: Secret

Abilities 22 + Skills 8 (32 ranks) + Feats 21 + Powers 43 + Combat 24 + Saves 10 – Drawbacks 8 = 120 points
Michuru wrote:Diyu is Oubliette-137's version of Ritter Xun. It was important to me that they were the same person, but two completely different builds. Ritter Xun came first, which is a shame. The hook swords are perfect for Diyu, and I think it would work better if they had different soul weapons to reflect the difference in mental outlook. Still, Ritter Xun blasts people's souls, while Diyu makes objects... which is ironic when you consider that 137's version of Xun has taken on the codename "Hell"--even more so when you realize Ritter Xun can summon a broader group of demons than Diyu can.

Otherwise, this one has a little more focus in melee, while the other is fairly balanced. This one is a bit more acrobatic, while the other is slower, but stalwart. You get the idea.
Michuru

Re: Oubliette (Original M&M 2E Builds)

Post by Michuru »

BLACKGUARD
(Power Level 10)

Height / Weight: 6’0” / 190 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: Black / Blue
Place of Birth / Date of Birth: London, England, Oubliette-134 (June 12, 1985)
Home Dimension: Oubliette-134
Tags: #armada, #astaroth, #nephilim, #oubliette134

Physical Appearance: Bob is a tall, statuesque man. Clean shaven and with hair meticulously combed, Bob tends to dress in a business casual fashion.

Relationships: Jonathon Crawford (maternal grandfather; deceased), Emma Crawford (mother; deceased), Viktor DeGallow (Caballero; partner)

Biography: Oubliette-134 and Oubliette-137 are very similar universes. In both dimensions, President Kennedy was assassinated. In both dimensions, man went to the moon. In both dimensions, the Berlin Wall came down.

The only difference appears to be that in Oubliette-134, Jonathon Crawford disowned his daughter when she revealed her pregnancy. For years, she struggled to support her and her son—eventually turning to prostitution to survive. Illness took her when her son was nine, and for years, he blamed his grandfather.

When he was a teenager, he made his way to the manor the old man lived in alone. He used the power he had inherited from the father he’d never met to attack the man and end his life, taking revenge for his late mother.

The only heir to his grandfather’s fortune, Bob claimed what he felt was rightfully his—a fortune he invested in a hedonistic lifestyle. With money and literal power, Bob could do whatever he wanted… and he did. For several years, he did whatever he wanted. Eventually, his path crossed with a similar soul: Viktor DeGallow was a Neo-Sapien from a wealthy family. The two became friends, and then became more than friends.

One night, as they climbed into bed, there was a flash of light. Though they still found themselves in the master bedroom of Crawford Manor, the décor had noticeably changed. Ultimately, they discovered that they had been transported to another dimension—a world where Jonathon Crawford had supported his daughter, and her son enjoyed a happy childhood.

As the months passed, Bob and Vik began to seek out a way to return to their world. Their search led them to Siegfried, who offered to help them, on the condition that they took part in an attack he was planning.

Their part in the plan was simple: lay siege to Kunsthistorisches Museum. The two did as required, but came into conflict with a group from the New Vindicators Academy of Europe: Pict, Greystone, Candyman, and Maze arrived to put a stop to their carnage. A battle ensued, and when Bob awoke, he was in custody.
  • STR 16 (+3), DEX 14 (+2), CON 16 (+3), INT 13 (+1), WIS 14 (+2), CHA 14 (+2)

SKILLS: Bluff 4 (+6/+10 attractive), Concentration 8 (+10), Intimidate 10 (+12), Knowledge (streetwise) 4, Language 2 (English [base], Spanish), Notice 8 (+10), Sense Motive 8 (+10)

FEATS: All-out Attack, Assessment, Attractive 1, Equipment 5, Improved Initiative 1, Power Attack, Startle

POWERS: Flight 4 (hellfire wings; 100 MPH), Force Field 10, Hellfire Control 12 (red; Alternate Powers: Create Object 12, Emotion Control 10 [Flaws: Limited to One Emotion {hate, -1}], Strike 9 [mace; Power Feats: Mighty]), Super Senses 10 (Enhanced Senses: Counters Concealment [vision], Counters Illusion [vision], Counters Obscure [vision], Detect Hidden)

COMBAT: Attack +8, Grapple +11, Damage +3 (+12 hellfire blast), Defense +8 (+4 flat-footed), Knockback -6 (-1 flat-footed), Initiative +6

SAVES: Toughness +12 (+3 flat-footed), Fortitude +10, Reflex +5, Will +5

COMPLICATIONS: Obsession (returning home)

Abilities 27 + Skills 11 (44 ranks) + Feats 11 + Powers 44 + Combat 33 + Saves 13 – Drawbacks 8 = 131 points
Michuru81 wrote:As requested by Arthur Eld, here is Blackguard, Paladin's doppelganger. This would be a bit more effective with Paladin's build to show off (the background needs some work), so for now you'll have to take my word for it: Paladin has more invested into skills while also being a bit more balanced in combat. Blackguard takes some trade-offs to be more vicious and durable, but the result is still about the same.