Gypsy's Zen Garden: A repository of Ready to Play Characters for M&M (2E & 3E)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
ZenGypsy

Gypsy's Zen Garden: A repository of Ready to Play Characters for M&M (2E & 3E)

Post by ZenGypsy »

Greetings, and welcome to my Garden.

As someone who no longer has the opportunity to gather around a table and play with the crew, I find myself tinkering with various builds and characters. Some of these are original concepts, some inspired by various comic, television, movie, or video game characters.

M&M 2E

Armored Cowl
Divine Punishment
Immortal Warrior Queen
Spiritual Sovereign

M&M 3E
Last edited by ZenGypsy on Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 8 times in total.
ZenGypsy

Re: Gypsy's Zen Garden: A repository of Ready to Play Characters for M&M (2E & 3E)

Post by ZenGypsy »

Armored Cowl
Armored Cowl

Power Level: 10; Power Points Spent: 150/150

STR: +10 (20/30), DEX: +4 (18), CON: +5 (20), INT: +2 (14), WIS: +3 (16), CHA: +1 (12)

Tough: +5/+10, Fort: +9, Ref: +5, Will: +7

Skills: Acrobatics 11 (+15), Craft (electronic) 4 (+6), Craft (mechanical) 4 (+6), Diplomacy 5 (+6), Gather Information 7 (+8), Intimidate 9 (+10), Investigate 6 (+8), Knowledge (current events) 4 (+6), Knowledge (streetwise) 4 (+6), Knowledge (technology) 4 (+6), Notice 7 (+10), Search 4 (+6), Sense Motive 3 (+6), Stealth 6 (+10)

Feats: Accurate Attack, Acrobatic Bluff, Attack Focus (melee) 4, Challenge - Improved Feint, Contacts, Defensive Attack, Dodge Focus 4, Improved Initiative 2, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Skill Mastery (Acrobatics, Gather Information, Notice, Stealth), Uncanny Dodge (Visual)

Powers:
Urban Combat & Infiltration Unit (Device 9) (Hard to lose, Only you can use)
. . Active Holographic Camoflauge (Concealment 4) (all visual senses; Passive)
. . Ballistic Flexweave Armor & Plating (Protection 5) (+5 Toughness)
. . D-Cel Launcher & Jumpline (Super-Movement 2) (slow fall, swinging)
. . Light Weight Glider Cape (Flight 3) (Speed: 50 mph, 440 ft./rnd; Gliding; Subtle (subtle))
. . . . Gyro Stablized Propulsion (Flight 2) (Alternate; Speed: 25 mph, 220 ft./rnd)
. . Molecular Electrostatic Charge (Super-Movement 2) (wall-crawling 2 (full speed))
. . Multi Optic Sensor Suite (Super-Senses 8) (infravision, penetrates concealment: Infravision, tracking: Infravision 2 (normal speed), ultravision)
. . Nanotech Exoskeleton & Reinforced Joints (Enhanced Strength 10) (+10 STR)
. . Onboard A.I. & Computer Database (Enhanced Trait 2) (Feats: Eidetic Memory, Well-Informed)
. . Self Contained Oxygen & Bio Seals (Immunity 4) (disease, poison, suffocation (all); Limited (Suffocation: Limited Air Supply: 30 minutes) [2 ranks only])

Attack Bonus: +6 (Ranged: +6, Melee: +10, Grapple: +20)

Attacks: Unarmed Attack, +10 (DC 25)

Defense: +10 (Flat-footed: +3), Knockback: -5

Initiative: +12

Languages: English

Totals: Abilities 40 + Skills 20 (78 ranks) + Feats 19 + Powers 38 + Combat 24 + Saves 9 + Drawbacks 0 = 150
Notes: I have always enjoyed the concept of playing the Crimefighter Archetype, however, I have found in play that it can be underwhelming, and you can, at times struggle to contribute; this build is meant to alleviate that issue. At a balanced +0 on his Accuracy & Effect trade off's, coupled with typical Crimefighter combat advantages and multiple ways to cause your target to become Vulnerable this build will be holy hell against street toughs, mafia soldiers, and even well armed mercenaries. However it will fare much better against standard super villains than a more typical Crimefighter archetype due to the variety of options and maneuverability the suit allows.

He is also a solid PL 7.5 outside of the suit, which is more than enough to surprise the bad guys when they capture him and strip him of all his wonderful toys. And as his combat maneuvers aren't bought as part of the suit, he has full access to them, so he should be able to hold his own against agents and minions in a pinch.

Now, concept wise, I am not sure if this character is a former Cowl called out of retirement by some tragic event, or an inheritor of the legacy, perhaps with the aforementioned aging Cowl as a mentor. I opted for the latter as I was statting out his skills, thinking perhaps, he may even be a reformed criminal who is now walking the side of the angels, with an angry old man ensuring that he stays on the straight and narrow.
Emerald_Flame300

Re: Gypsy's Zen Garden: A repository of Ready to Play Characters for M&M (2E & 3E)

Post by Emerald_Flame300 »

I like the "Armored Cowl" build. It's an interesting idea that seems to fit into the world.of the Batman Arkham City/Knight series. Really cool!
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

Divine Punishment

Did you ever notice how in the Bible, when ever God needed to punish someone, or make an example, or whenever God needed a killing, he sent an angel? Did you ever wonder what a creature like that must be like? A whole existence spent praising your God, but always with one wing dipped in blood. Would you ever really want to see an angel?
Divine Punishment

STR: +4 (18), DEX: +2 (14), CON: +4 (18), INT: +2 (14), WIS: +3 (16), CHA: +3 (16)

Tough: +10, Fort: +7, Ref: +7, Will: +8

Skills: Climb 6 (+10), Diplomacy 7 (+10), Gather Information 7 (+10), Intimidate 12 (+15), Knowledge (arcane Lore) 8 (+10), Knowledge (streetwise) 8 (+10), Knowledge (theology & philosophy) 8 (+10), Language 4 (+4), Notice 7 (+10), Sense Motive 12 (+15), Stealth 8 (+10), Survival 7 (+10), Swim 6 (+10)

Feats: All-Out Attack, Contacts, Dodge Focus 4, Endurance (+4), Improved Critical 2 (Blade of Justice (Strike 6)), Improved Critical 2 (Revolvers of the Righteous (Blast 10)), Power Attack, Ritualist, Skill Mastery (Intimidate, Knw: Streetwise, Sense Motive, Spot), Startle, Uncanny Dodge (Visual)

Powers:
Armaments of Heaven (Device 5) (Easy to lose, Restricted use (Divine Agent))
. . Revolvers of the Righteous (Blast 10) (DC 25, Feats: Improved Critical 2 (Revolvers of the Righteous (Blast 10)); Accurate 2 (+4))
. . . . Blade of Justice (Strike 6) (Alternate; DC 25, Feats: Improved Critical 2 (Blade of Justice (Strike 6)); Shapeable Area (10 cubes of 125 cu. ft. (5x5x5) - Targeted) [4 extra ranks]; Accurate 2 (+4), Affects Insubstantial 2 (full power), Incurable, Mighty)
Blood calls for Blood (Super-Senses 8) (acute, analytical: Choose Sense, detect: Murderers (Mental) 2 (ranged), extended 2 (-1 per 1k ft), tracking 2 (normal speed); Distracting, Limited (Source: Blood of the Victim))
Endurance of the Cheribum (Protection 6) (+6 Toughness, Feats: Endurance (+4))
Graced by the Angelic Choirs (Array 5) (default power: impervious toughness)
. . Feathered Wings of the Seraphim (Flight 4) (Array; Speed: 100 mph, 880 ft./rnd; Subtle (subtle))
. . Heavenly Speed & Grace ((Strength Bonus) Strike 10) (Array; Autofire - applied to Device (interval 2, max +5))
. . Reveal the Divine (Enhanced Trait 10) (Array; Feats: Fearsome Presence 10)
. . Touch of the Divine (Healing 5) (Array; DC 15)
. . Unearthly Faith & Conviction (Impervious Toughness 10)
Until Justice is Served (Regeneration 1) (resurrection 1 (1 week))

Attack Bonus: +6 (Ranged: +6, Melee: +6, Grapple: +10)

Attacks: Blade of Justice (Strike 6), +10 (DC 25), Revolvers of the Righteous (Blast 10), +10 (DC 25), Unarmed Attack, +6 (DC 19)

Defense: +10 (Flat-footed: +3), Knockback: -5

Initiative: +2

Languages: Arabic, English, Enochian, Latin, Russian

Totals: Abilities 36 + Skills 25 (100 ranks) + Feats 11 + Powers 41 + Combat 24 + Saves 13 + Drawbacks 0 = 150
Notes: The quote is from Prophecy, a 1995 Christopher Walken film, wherein Walken plays the archangel Gabriel. It's pretty awesome, check it out if you haven't seen it already.

Either way the above build was inspired when a friend of mine wanted to play a Punisher-Ghostrider mashup type character for a game I was preparing to play, so after a talk, and liberal references to the above mentioned movie, we decided than an angel would be, pardon the pun, scarier than hell.

So, here we have someone who was involved in the battlefield - urban or elsewhere - until they finally caught the wrong bullet, and got a whole new mission from the Almighty. He's got a good deal of experience with firearms, walking the back streets, and scaring the hell out of people, and the whole divine mantle thing has made that a fair bit easier. His flaming sword comes with a trigger, but can switch out to the standard mode in order to please Heaven's traditionalists. Likewise, he channels the wrath of God, delivering fierce barrages, resisting any attack, driving the toughest men off with a glance... and healing the wounds of the suffering. It's not all "pillar of fire" stuff here, after all. If you want to branch out from there, you could easily give him something like Comprehend, so that he can talk to all the world's peoples and minister to the recently deceased.

I really enjoy the Blood calls for Blood Detect. I see our guy walking onto, breaking into, a crime scene, tampering with evidence, and tasting the blood of the victim, his detect thereby allowing him to track the victim's killer. However, the power could present some issues with an investigative story line, though it could also be a source of some great fun. Imagine if the killer is, unknown to the mayor, his right hand man, some potential for great scenes there, and with far reaching implications for the game, and the players relations with the mayor and other municipal agencies. However if it is an issue, swap it out for some form of Uncontrolled Postcognition, and invest those points elsewhere.

I envision the above guy to be a hardnosed ex-cop, ex, as in deceased, definitely worth a complication if the family is still alive. Killed in a church by some Russian mob type guys, who then threaten to 'finish the job' with his family. Our good catholic cop is left bleeding out looking up at Crucifixion, and prays for someone, something, to protect his family from sharing his own grisly fate. And in dramatic fashion ... someone answers ...
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Always loved the Prophecy Series and the portrayal of angels in the InNomine games.

These are not the gentle winged loving beings told in stories and literature, They are divinity incarnate and this is not always a nice thing
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

Spiritual Sovereign
Spiritual Sovereign

STR: +7 (24), DEX: +7 (24), CON: +7 (24), INT: +1 (12), WIS: +3 (16), CHA: +2 (14)

Tough: +7, Fort: +8, Ref: +8, Will: +8

Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+15), Climb 3 (+10), Diplomacy 8 (+10), Intimidate 8 (+10), Knowledge (civics) 4 (+5), Knowledge (current events) 4 (+5), Knowledge (theology & philosophy) 4 (+5), Language 4 (+4), Notice 7 (+10), Sense Motive 7 (+10), Stealth 8 (+15), Survival 7 (+10)

Feats: Acrobatic Bluff, All-Out Attack, Attack Focus (melee) 6, Benefit 3 (Royal Family, Security Clearance, Wealth), Defensive Attack, Dodge Focus 6, Hide in Plain Sight, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Skill Mastery (Acrobatics, Climb, Stealth, Survival), Takedown Attack, Track, Uncanny Dodge (Audio)

Powers:
Channel Totemic Spirit (Animal Mimicry 2)

Power Settings:
. . Aerial Huntsman (Eagle, Falcon, Hawk) (Power Setting) (Powers: Flight 3, Super-Senses 3)
. . . . Flight 3 (Speed: 50 mph, 440 ft./rnd, Feats: Improved Defense)
. . . . Super-Senses 3 (extended: Visual 2 (-1 per 1k ft), ultravision)
. . Blessed by the Trickster (Hyena, Monkey, Spider) (Power Setting) (Powers: Enhanced Trait 4, Speed 2, Super-Movement 2)
. . . . Enhanced Trait 4 (Feats: Challenge - Improved Feint, Improved Defense, Redirect, Set-Up)
. . . . Speed 2 (Speed: 25 mph, 220 ft./rnd)
. . . . Super-Movement 2 (slow fall, wall-crawling 1 (half speed))
. . Guardian Spirit (Gorilla, Elephant, Rhinocerous) (Power Setting) (Powers: Enhanced Trait 3, Immunity 2, Super-Strength 2)
. . . . Enhanced Trait 3 (Feats: Grappling Finesse, Improved Grab, Improved Pin)
. . . . Immunity 2 (critical hits)
. . . . Super-Strength 2 (+10 STR carry capacity, heavy load: 2.8k lbs; +2 STR to some checks; Bracing)
. . Spirit of the Predator (Lion, Panther, Tiger) (Power Setting) (Powers: Enhanced Trait 4, Speed 3, Super-Senses 3)
. . . . Enhanced Trait 4 (Feats: Improved Critical 2 (Unarmed Attack), Improved Trip, Takedown Attack)
. . . . Speed 3 (Speed: 50 mph, 440 ft./rnd)
. . . . Super-Senses 3 (acute: Scent, low-light vision, tracking: Scent 1 (half speed))

Attack Bonus: +7 (Ranged: +7, Melee: +13, Grapple: +20)

Attacks: Unarmed Attack, +13 (DC 22)

Defense: +13 (Flat-footed: +4), Knockback: -3

Initiative: +7

Languages: Amharic (Native), Arabic, English, French, Swahili

Totals: Abilities 54 + Skills 18 (72 ranks) + Feats 25 + Powers 18 + Combat 28 + Saves 7 + Drawbacks 0 = 150
Notes: A straight up pastiche of the Black Panther & DC's Vixen. I always liked the nobility of a sovereign character, however I have always *hated* Wakanda and it's ridiculous level of technology. Despite having the cure for *god damn* cancer, they decide not to share it with the world because ... reasons? D*&k move Wakanda, d*&k move. I like this guy as coming from an emerging African nation, one struggling with Industrialization and perhaps even having enemies among militant tribal warlords. Perhaps a nation transforming towards a constitutional monarchy, which would help explain why the King of a nation has time to be gallivanting around Campaign city doing his thing, perhaps even establishing a new embassy. Another aspect that amuses me, is him being forced to have a secret service type security detail, besides absolutely not needing them from a tactical point of view.

Mechanically, many GM's do not enjoy Variable Array's, and while I tend to agree with them, the above pool is very small. However, should that be an issue you could absolutely break the above pool down into an array, and perhaps even trim some points that way.
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

Immortal Warrior Queen
Immortal Warrior Queen

STR: +6 (22), DEX: +3 (16), CON: +6 (22), INT: +2 (14), WIS: +2 (14), CHA: +1 (12)

Tough: +6, Fort: +9, Ref: +7, Will: +7

Skills: Climb 4 (+10), Diplomacy 9 (+10), Gather Information 9 (+10), Intimidate 14 (+15), Knowledge (arcane Lore) 3 (+5), Knowledge (civics) 3 (+5), Knowledge (history) 8 (+10), Knowledge (tactics) 13 (+15), Knowledge (theology & philosophy) 3 (+5), Language 2 (+2), Notice 8 (+10), Sense Motive 8 (+10), Survival 8 (+10)

Feats: All-Out Attack, Attack Focus (melee) 4, Challenge - Improved Feint, Dodge Focus 6, Eidetic Memory, Master Plan, Power Attack, Startle, Tactician: Expertise: Tactics for Master Plan, Uncanny Dodge (Visual), Well-Informed

Powers:
Curse of the Undying (Container, Passive 3)
. . Immunity 3 (aging, disease, poison; Limited (Poison & Disease: Half Effect) [2 ranks only])
. . Regeneration 11 (ability damage 1 (recover 1 / 5 hours), recovery rate (bruised) 3 (recover 1 / round without rest), recovery rate (injured) 6 (recover 1 / round without rest), resurrection 1 (1 week); Persistent, Regrowth)
Warrior Born (Strike 2) (DC 23; Mighty)
Warrior`s Blessing (Impervious Toughness 6) (Limited (Physical Damage & Effects))
Worldly Warrior (Comprehend 3) (languages - read all, languages - speak all, languages - understand all; Limited (New Languages require Study))

Attack Bonus: +8 (Ranged: +8, Melee: +12, Grapple: +18)

Attacks: Unarmed Attack, +12 (DC 21), Warrior Born (Strike 2), +12 (DC 23)

Defense: +14 (Flat-footed: +4), Knockback: -6

Initiative: +3

Languages: Native Language

Totals: Abilities 40 + Skills 23 (92 ranks) + Feats 19 + Powers 24 + Combat 32 + Saves 12 + Drawbacks 0 = 150
Notes: While catching up on Vikings, I was struck by the idea of a mash up between Kathryn Winnick's portrayal of Lagertha and a Wonder Woman-esque hero. An undying, and immortal soldier who was walked every battlefield that you or I can imagine, an impressive knowledge of tactics, history, civics, religion and even arcane lore.

An Immunity to aging is, of course, a must for the build. An impressive Fortitude save coupled with a Half Effect immunity to both Disease & Poison means she has endured, and survived the great plagues of history, and likely more than one goblet of poisoned wine. A low Impervious means that like Achilles, she is virtually immune to the weaponry of common soldiers throughout history and wars immeasurable. I opted for a strike to simulate her excelling in hand to hand combat, however a high base Attack means she could easily pick up a bow, a spear or a rifle and still cap out around PL 7 or 8 at range. Perhaps with experience you could purchase a ranged option.