J-Mart OG: Closed for a new location!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
L-Space

Re: J-Mart: Winter Soldier, HAPPY ALLFATHER'S DAY - Odin

Post by L-Space »

Nice haul, Thorp! Happy belated Father's Day!
Formerly luketheduke86
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Bear wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:41 am Dang, that's a good Odin build, I would place him at 17 or 18 but that's just me. We're gonna have to get a Kratos build to fight him and Thor.
I might bump him up if I actually test him and he's not as overpowering as I think. On the Kratos front, I've been thinking about doing a build for him for a long time but I haven't played the games and I'm not sure I could do him justice from the Wikis. I might give it a shot, though.
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:39 am Sweet deal, Thorp! Glad to see you had a good Father's Day. I think you're one of the few people here to managed to successfully breed, so here's to you :)!
And that was no small feat, let me tell you that! I had pull off some Loki level lies to even get a chance to perform the act that allows one to reproduce. 8-)
Goldar wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:58 pm
Psistrike wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:44 am Nice, Marvel Encyclopedia is a great resource and also a fun read. Careful you don't drop it on your foot, that sucker hurts. :oops:
Oh, no! No more foot issues! All-Father already has foot issues!
No doubt, Goldar. My wife is pretty much healed but the Odinthorp has a long way to go. He got the go ahead to start putting a little weight on the leg for PT purposes so hopefully that will get him out of the care facility soon but 81 year old bones don't heal fast by any stretch so we're all just having to be patient. Where is Exilir when you need him? ;)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

I was hoping your family members were on better footing by now, Thorp. Glad to hear that is the case. It sounds like they have a leg-up on the situation.

Yes, old bones, especially those in the 80's, are slow healing.

Just remember the wise old words of Young Kris Kringle to the Winter Warlock, "Put one foot in front of the other, and soon you'll be walking 'cross the floor, you put one foot in front of the other...and soon you'll be walking out the door!" :P
Thorpocalypse

357, 358 - Harry Dresden (and Bob)

Post by Thorpocalypse »

We've got a good bit of stock on our DC and Marvel shelves so we're going to start working on filling up the shelves in our other aisle for a bit! Let's get some merchandise on our Dresden Files Aisle

Evil isn’t the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it’s a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference.

"We are not going to die."
Butters stared up at me, pale, his eyes terrified. "We're not?"
"No. And do you know why?" He shook his head. "Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die." I hauled on the shirt even harder. "And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and polka will never die.”

I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.

I don't want to live in a world where the strong rule and the weak cower. I'd rather make a place where things are a little quieter. Where trolls stay the hell under their bridges and where elves don't come swooping out to snatch children from their cradles. Where vampires respect the limits, and where the faeries mind their p's and q's. My name is Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. Conjure by it at your own risk. When things get strange, when what goes bump in the night flicks on the lights, when no one else can help you, give me a call. I'm in the book.

HARRY DRESDEN
PL10

OPL: 10; SPL: -; DPL: 10; FWPL: 8; HP: 1
Height: 6-9
Weight: 200
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Black
Skin: Olive
Race: Homo Magi
Identity: Public (not the full name, of course)
Alignment: Hero
Base of Operations: Chicago, IL, USA
Team Affiliations: The White Council; The Outsiders (Consultant)

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2, STAMINA 4, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 3, FIGHTING 6, INTELLECT 3, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 3

SKILLS: Athletics 5 (+7), Deception 7 (+10) [Taunt], Expertise [Magic] 10 (+13) [Artificer, Ritualist], Expertise [Popular Culture] 2 (+5), Insight (+2), Intimidation 4 (+7), Investigation 10 (+13) [Contacts, Well-Informed], Perception 10 (+12), Persuasion 4 (+7) [Connected], Sleight of Hand 2 (+5), Stealth 5 (+7), Vehicles 3 (+6)

ADVANTAGES: Artificer, Benefit (1) (Status – Warden of the White Council), Close Attack (3), Connected, Contacts, Diehard, Equipment (6), Extraordinary Effort, Improved Aim, Improved Defense, Interpose, Last Stand*, Luck (Inspiration) (1), Ranged Attack (3), Second Chance (Will checks against mental control effects), Ritualist, Taunt, Ultimate Effort (Ultimate Will Check), Well-Informed, Withstand Damage*

POWERS:
Wizard Physiology: Feature 1 (Longevity), Regeneration 1 (1/every 9 rounds, Extra: Persistent); 3 pts
Wizard Senses: 5 pt Array; 8 pts
Soulgaze: Mind Reading 10 (Extra: Affects Others, Flaw: Sense Dependent [Eye Contact], Distracting, Uncontrolled); 5 pts
Magic Senses: Senses 1 (Magical Awareness [Mental; Ranged, Acute, Extended]); 1 pt
Listening: Senses 5 (Normal Hearing [Accurate, Extended, Counters Concealment], Flaw: Duration [Concentration]); 1 pt
The Sight: Senses 5 (Normal Vision [Accurate, Analytical, Counters Concealment, Counters Illusion], Flaw: Duration [Concentration]); 1 pt

Magic Array: 24 pt Array; 29 pts
Fuego!: Ranged Fire Damage 12; 24 pts
Fuego! (Dos): Line Area Fire Damage 10 (Extra: Line Area [30 ft line]); 1 pt
Soulfire: Ranged Spiritual Damage 12 (Extra: Alternate Resistance [Will], Flaw: Unreliable [5 uses]); 1 pt
Forzare!: Ranged Force Damage 12; 1 pt
Hexus!: Perception Range Nullify 8 (Technology, Extra: Broad, Flaw: Limited [modern technology]); 1 pt
Ventas Servitas!: Perception Range Move Object 6 (Extra: Precise); 1 pt

Shield Bracelet: 26 pts Traits, Removable (-5 pts); 21 pts
Shielding Array: 25 pt Array; 26 pts
Magic Shield: Enhanced Parry 4 (Flaw: Sustained), Enhanced Dodge 4 (Flaw: Sustained), Protection 4 (Flaw: Sustained), Enhanced Advantages 3 (Improved Defense, Interpose, Withstand Damage), Impervious 5 (Flaw: Sustained); 25 pts
Protective Objects: Create 10 (Extra: Impervious, Movable, Flaw: Range [Close]); 1 pt

Silver Pentacle Necklace: 4 pts traits, Removable (-1 pts); 2 pts
Family Bond: Senses 1 (Communication Link [Mental, with brother], Enhanced Advantages 2 (Second Chance [Will checks against mental control effects], Ultimate Effort [Will Checks]); 3 pts
Light the Way: Environment 1 (Light [reduce total concealment to partial and partial concealment to none]); 1 pt

Enhanced Leather Duster: 3 pts Traits, Removable (-1 pts); 2 pts
Protection Enchantments: Protection 2, Immunity 2 (Critical Hits, Flaw: Limited [Projectiles]); 3 pts

Magic Foci: 4 pt Array; 6 pts
Kinetic Force Rings: 5 pts traits, Removable (-1 pts); 4 pts[/b]
Magic Force Strike: Multiattack Bludgeoning Strength-based Damage 5 (Flaw: Unreliable [5 uses]); 5 pts

Blasting Rod: 3 pts traits, Easily Removable (-2 pts); 1 pt[/b]
Rod Strike: Bludgeoning Strength-based Damage 1; 1 pt
Fuego! Enhancements: Fuego! (Extra: Accurate), Enhanced Advantages 1 (Improved Aim); 2 pts

Wizard Staff: 4 pts Traits, Easily Removable (-2 pts); 1 pt
Staff Bash: Bludgeoning Strength-based Damage 2; 2 pts
Magic Enhancements: Enhanced Skills 1 (Ranged Combat: Magic 2), Enhanced Advantages 1 (Improved Aim); 2 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(30 pts)
Magic Kit: Feature 1 (Spell casting paraphernalia); 1 pt
Silver Dagger: Piercing Strength-Based Damage 1, Dangerous; 2 pts
Arsenal: (9 pts)
Heavy Pistol: Ranged Ballistic Damage 4; 8 pts
Sword Cane: Slashing Strength-Based Damage 3, Dangerous, Subtle; 1 pt
Vehicle: (11 pts)
The Blue Beetle: Size - L, Strength - 5, Speed - 5, Def - 8, Tough - 8, Feature - Indestructible (kinda); 11 pts
Headquarters: (5 pts)
Basement Apartment: Size - D, Tough - 10, Features - Magic Defense System, Summoning Circle (Summon 8, Extra: Variable Type [Demons], Flaw: Check Required [Expertise: Magic], Slow), Laboratory, Living Space, Library; 5 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +2
Close Attack +9 [Unarmed +2; Staff +4; Force Rings +5, Multiattack; Silver Dagger +3, Critical 19-20; Sword Cane +5, Critical 19-20; Protective Objects Create +10]
Ranged Attack +6 [Heavy Pistol +4]
Fuego! (With Blasting Rod) +8 [Fuego +12]
Magic (with Staff) +8 [Soulfire +12; Forzare +12]
Special Attack [Fuego (Dos) +10, Line Area; Ventas Servitas Move Object+6, Perception; Hexus Nullify +8, Perception]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +6 (+10 with Shield Bracelet) [DC16/20] Parry +6 (+10 with Shield Bracelet) [DC16/20]
Toughness +6 (+4 without Defensive Roll, +10 with Shield Bracelet), Fortitude +7, Will +9 (Ultimate Effort with Silver Pentacle)

COMPLICATIONS:
Accident: Wizards and technology don't mix.
Doing Good: Harry has a strong sense of right and wrong and will bend heaven and earth to do the right thing.
Enemy: John Marcone, The Denarians, The Street Wolves, and many, many others. With the list seemingly growing daily…
Pain In The Ass: Despite his good intentions and strong relationships he's forged, he can still make people want to kill him like no one you've ever seen.
Power Loss: Wizards lose their magic under running water and within thresholds if uninvited.
Relationships: Karrin Murphy, Susan Rodriguez, The Carpenter family, especially Molly, The Alphas, his brother, Mister, Mouse, Butters and a few others I will not name so as not spoil anything…
Reputation: Only Wizard in the Phone Book (ergo, he’s a charlatan to the muggles), Broke the First Law of Magic, Rumors of Working for Marcone, loose cannon among the White Council.
Responsibility: He sees Chicago as his town to protect from any and all supernatural threats.
Rivalry: With the old guard of the White Council, especially Morgan and often the leader of the White Council, The Merlin, Arthur Langtry.
Secret: Oh, he has a few…the lineage of his half-brother…various instances of "bending" the 7 Laws…his faerie connections…Bob…his debts to Mab, and others.
Temper: Harry oftentimes struggles to control his emotions, particularly his temper. This can cause him to be unable to focus his magic, cause it to go out of control as well as to cause him to make rash, unwise decisions. FREQUENTLY…

Abilities 50 + Skills 31 (62 ranks) + Advantages 23 + Powers 73 + Defenses 14 = 191 / 191

Build Comments: As well noted over the years, I LOVE The Dresden Files book series. It, and Wordmaker’s books (how’s that for a plug for an ATT legend?) are the only real books I read anymore. I still haven’t read the latest book and now there's another I think, so I'm two behind, actually, but I will catch up this fall when yard season is over. I hope..

This is a pretty street level Harry, probably right around the 5-6th books or so. I do plan on going back at some point and doing an Evolution Of the characters in The Dresden Files because most of them have gone through many changes throughout the series. Some of the characters probably jumped 2-3 PLs throughout the series and their abilities have grown, much real PCs do in game. Harry himself probably started out PL7-8, then for a few books he was 9-10, then he got a “promotion” and he’s probably more like PL11-12 now. And if not a truly higher PL, then his power points have REALLY increased.

You can tell Jim Butcher is a gamer, for sure. He has pretty well defined rules for the magical world and he seems to set his heroes and villains up with pretty clear power sets and limits, which makes them pretty easy to stat, at least from a “so and so is a higher PL than so and so” IMHO. Expect a big run of characters at some point in the future, but I'm just going to drop a couple for now.

Secret Origins: Harry was born on Halloween, to Margaret Gwendolyn LeFay and Malcolm Dresden. His mother died in childbirth, so Malcolm took care of him while travelling across the country trying to make a career as a stage magician. When Harry was six, Malcolm died of a brain aneurysm. Harry, orphaned, became a ward of the state.

Harry first manifested his powers at age ten, during a running long jump at school Olympics in the spring. Desperate to win, he magically pushed himself about about ten feet farther than he would have jumped on his own. Though he landed badly and sprained his wrist, he won a blue ribbon that he keeps to this day.

The Story so Far: About two weeks after first manifesting, he was adopted by Justin DuMorne, a wizard and former Warden of the White Council, who took him as his apprentice. At age thirteen, Harry was given his first shielding lesson by DuMorne, who used baseballs as projectiles. At age sixteen, DuMorne tried to enthrall both Harry and his girlfriend, fellow adoptee Elaine Mallory. He succeeded in enthralling Elaine, but Harry escaped. He faced and beat He Who Walks Behind, an Outsider summoned by DuMorne to kill Harry; afterwards, he decided to go back and rescue Elaine. Harry made a bargain with the Leanansidhe in which he received power enough to defeat Justin DuMorne, a debt he would owe his godmother for years to come. Harry faced DuMorne in a duel to the death and won. He stole Bob, the air spirit of knowledge, and left, thinking Elaine died in the fire.

Harry was then found by the White Council, much to his surprise; as far as he knew, there were no other wizards besides himself, DuMorne, and Elaine. He was put on trial for breaking the First Law of Magic. He was let off the death penalty due to the killing being ruled as self-defense, and instead was put under the Doom of Damocles. This was due to some of the Council members, notably Ebenezar McCoy. Harry was taken in as apprentice by McCoy; though this would later be found out to be because McCoy was the Council's wet-works man, and was under orders to kill Harry if he showed any signs of rebelliousness -- which happened fairly often, apparently. Harry lived with McCoy on his farm in Hog Hollow, Missouri; his days were spent with hard work on the farm during the day, and studying in the evening. Although McCoy taught him about magic, his teaching of general values and providing a stable and peaceful life and home were even more important, and crucial for shaping his life.

After spending some years "getting his head together" under McCoy's tutelage, Harry attained membership to the Council, though he didn't, and still doesn't, trust them. He spent some years travelling across America, much like he did with his father, before settling down in Chicago.

After he first came to Chicago, he worked at a bunch of different jobs, among them being a dance partner with a senior-citizen organization, where he learned ballroom dancing. He then joined Nicholas Christian at Ragged Angel Investigations, where he spent three years gaining his licence as a private investigator. After this, he opened his own business, which had been open for about two years when he has one of first defining cases. Harry comes up against a two-bit sorcerer mixing sex, drugs, magic and murder, the Shadowman who he defeats after a draining magical battle. Afterwards, The Doom of Damocles is lifted from him in a Council meeting due to "valorous action above and beyond the call of duty", although he himself cannot attend due to still being hospitalized.

In the years since, Harry has gone up against all matter of supernatural menaces in Chicago and beyond, earning the reputation of “The Mad Wizard Dresden” across the supernatural community. His presence, while drawing in some of the supernatural craziness, has deterred an even greater amount as Harry’s ability to prevail against powerful opponents has earned him the respect, and fear, of many supernatural entities that would otherwise feel free to proceed with their machinations.

Characterization: Harry Dresden is a wizard who works as a private investigator of sorts in Chicago (he's in the phone book, the only listing under "Wizards"), dealing with paranormal crimes and consulting for the Chicago Police Department.

Harry is considered a magical "thug," lacking fine control of his power, but is one of the strongest living wizards in terms of pure magical strength, as well as factors surrounding the timing of his birth. He originally favored fire and wind spells in battle, but has since evolved towards fire and kinetic force. He is also an expert at tracking spells (which he uses in his investigations) along with summoning and entrapment spells to speak to faeries and other supernatural sources of information. Due to his lack of finer control, Harry often must rely on magical items to help focus and channel his magical energy, such as his staff, blasting rod, shield bracelet, and force rings. He has gotten better at using Veils and tighter control of his fire spells because of teaching his apprentice Molly Carpenter.

Harry has also been known to carry around many firearms such as a .38 revolver, a .357, and most recently a .44 revolver and a sawed-off pump shotgun for those times when 'magic just doesn't cut it'.

One of Harry's latent, if not more useless, talents is his wit and the ability to use that wit infused with pop culture references. Most times Harry can insult a more powerful being and be long gone before the being realizes it's been insulted. He often lays sarcasm on thickly when dealing with people whom he does not like, such as Marcone. Harry seems to enjoy using Bugs Bunny and Yoda lines in particular.

Harry is an accomplished ballroom dancer, having worked professionally as a dance partner for retirees. He uses this ability in Death Masks, dancing with Susan Rodriguez. He is much less comfortable with other forms of dance.

Friends and Foes: While it isn't stated among his magical powers, perhaps Harry's greatest asset compared to many of his peers are his non-wizardly friends and allies that he can call upon. From giving the Archive a name (Ivy), to working with the crime lord of Chicago, John Marcone, adopting a Foo Dog, forming rescued pixies into a support team, having a (friendly) White Court vampire half-brother (Thomas Raith), having a strong link with Chicago's Police Department via Karrin Murphy, a personal connection with a pack of (good) werewolves, the Alphas, and all of the Knights of the Cross (and particularly Michael Carpenter and his family), Harry's allies and alliances have in many ways proven more powerful than his magical talents. His knack for making friends out of enemies even managed to convert the shadow of the Denarian Lasciel to his side, as awarding her a name (Lash) showed her that she was every bit as entitled to her freedom of will, as the fallen angel that had spawned her was entitled to be independent of God. Whereas most traditional and hidebound wizards refuse to have dealings with other magical beings, Harry has gained a great deal of respect and infamy that often allows him to pursue other options normally not available to wizards. Of particular relevance is the fact that Harry has met and has some level of interaction with all the Queens of the Summer and Winter Courts of Faerie.

Harry's first and primary magical associate is Bob, a spirit of knowledge, the equivalent of a magical encyclopedia. Bob supplies Harry magical knowledge, analysis, experience, and note-taking. Bob is also capable of possessing non-sentients, up to and including animated tyrannosaurs. He is also capable of some nasty magic himself, if reverted to older incarnations, and can spin complex magic very quickly, or control existing magic much faster than Harry (he can take down the wards on Harry’s house faster than Harry can, for example). Bob lives in a skull down in Harry’s lab.

Harry's Foo Dog, Mouse, is a character of his own, possessed of roughly human intelligence, able to detect supernatural evil, battle straight up with supernaturally tough and strong opponents, and voice a bark that can be heard for miles or throughout a burning hotel. His collar has one of the miniature shields from Harry's bracelet attached to it as a way for Harry to find him.

Complementing Mouse is Harry's crew of loyal, pizza-bribed pixies, serving as scouts and spies and informers and keeping the mice out of his home, under the leadership of the empowered pixie Major General Toot-toot. Mouse is called a 'little brother' by Uriel himself, a clear indication of his celestial background.

In addition, Harry keeps a large gray cat named Mister as a pet. He found Mister in a garbage can with his tail torn off - either by a dog or a car, Harry assumed. Mister hates both and will either attack or flee from them on sight. He weighs over 30 pounds, due to sheer size rather than fat and has a fondness for Coca-Cola and food from McAnally's, Harry's favorite pub. Mister often acts as a vehicle for Bob when Harry sends him out to do surveillance, since Bob cannot tolerate sunlight. Mister is uniquely described as the only living thing that appears exactly the same viewed normally or with Harry's Wizard's Sight.

Harry is a member of the White Council as a full Wizard, and has also been drafted into the Wardens, the combat-capable members of the Council, after their losses fighting the Red Court. He thus has potential access to the knowledge and power of the Senior Council, especially his mentor Ebenezar McCoy. He is also a member of the Grey Council, set up by McCoy to face the rise of the secretive Black Council which seems to be pulling strings throughout all the major challenges Harry has recently faced. He has excellent relations with the younger Wardens, who rather idolize him, as well as the Captain of the Wardens.

Harry’s apprentice Molly Carpenter complements him well. She is naturally adept at fine sensory magic, mental magic, illusions, veils, and subtle control. Teaching her has forced Harry to acquire more control over his own magic than he had in the past. She has little combat magic, but serves excellently in an auxiliary role as a 'battlefield controller'.

--

And here is Bob.

I was seducing shepherdesses when you weren't a twinkle in your great-grandcestor's eyes. I think I know what I'm doing. - Bob

BOB
PL12

OPL: 10; SPL: 12; DPL: 6; FWPL: 12; HP: 1

ABILITIES: STRENGTH --, STAMINA --, AGILITY 0, DEXTERITY 0, FIGHTING 0, INTELLECT 10, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 2

SKILLS: Athletics (--), Close Combat [Possession] 10 (+10), Deception 6 (+8), Expertise [Magic] 12 (+22) [Artificer, Ritualist, Skill Mastery], Insight 8 (+12), Intimidation (+2), Perception 8 (+12), Persuasion (+2)

ADVANTAGES: Artificer, Eidetic Memory, Ritualist, Skill Mastery (1) (Expertise [Magic])

POWERS:
Spirit Form: Immunity 31 (Fortitude Effects, Aging), Insubstantial 4 (Extras: Permanent, Innate); 52 pts
Flying: Flight 2 (8 mph/120 fpr); 4 pts
Magic Senses: Senses 5 (Detect Magic [Visual, Ranged, Acute, Analytical, Extended]); 5 pts
Being of Intellect: Quickness 4 (Flaw: Mental Tasks Only), Comprehend 3 (Read, Understand, Understood in all languages); 8 pts
Possession: Cumulative Affliction 10 (Resisted/Overcome by Will; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Compelled, Extras: Affects Corporeal, Merge with Subject, Subtle, Flaw: Limited to 2 degrees); 31 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +0
Close Attack +0
Possession +10 [Possession Affliction +10]
Ranged Attack +0

DEFENSES:
Dodge +0 [DC10] Parry +0 [DC10]
Toughness +0, Fortitude Immune, Will +12

COMPLICATIONS:
Good? Evil? What’s the difference?: Being an entity of pure intellect, for the most part, he lacks a moral code.
Obsession: Bob is a big, BIG fan of sex.
Responsibility: Bob has to obey who ever possesses his skull.
Secret: He's been owned by some pretty wicked people before and there are things he's been ordered (or compelled) not to tell by them and even Harry. Also, he is really not supposed to be around and if the White Council finds him, he could be confiscated and then Lord know what will happen to him…
Weakness: Bob's spirit is bound to the skull and cannot leave his skull without permission. Thresholds affect him like hitting a brick wall, and being exposed to sunlight without possessing a body imposes the dying condition on him.

Abilities 12 + Skills 22 (44 ranks) + Advantages 4 + Powers 100 + Defenses 8 = 146 / 146

Build Comments: Bob is da bomb. He’s a spirit of intellect that is housed in a skull that Harry liberated from his former master. He’s a font of magical knowledge and a horn dog that keeps the books light with his innuendo and lack of morals, not to mention that he usually provides a great amount of information to Harry about his foes, or spells that he runs into.

Mechanically, that’s how he’s meant to work as well as to provide Harry with help when making potions or preparing for Rituals.

Secret Origins: Bob is an air spirit of intellect who resides in a human skull owned by Harry. Before him, Bob was owned by Justin DuMorne, and before DuMorne, a powerful necromancer by the name of Heinrich Kemmler. Etienne the Enchanter picked it (Bob's skull) up on the cheap, back in medieval France, and skulls weren't exactly uncommon. Etienne himself probably had it for the reason that so many writers and sages had skulls hanging around--to make their office look cooler. Etienne, though, is the one who originally laid out the enchantment on the skull to enable it to be a little home-away-from-home for Bob, and he's been passed down, wizard-to-wizard, ever since.

The Story so Far/Characterization/Friends and Foes: Bob is a massive repository of magical knowledge, in to which he allows Harry to tap between wisecracks and attempts to be allowed out of his skull. Because of Harry's inability to use modern electronic information storage devices and his limited helpful contacts with supernatural knowledge, Bob is an invaluable asset to Harry. At some point he had gained the disfavor of Queen Mab, an event he constantly refers to when dragged into the Nevernever.

Part of his personality and memory inherited from Kemmler (mostly dealing with necromancy) has been locked away to keep Bob benign. According to Warden Luccio, it is stated that Bob was a "Mini-Archive," but the wardens had destroyed him, when Kemmler was destroyed. In actuality, DuMorne—a Warden at the time, but already at least planning to turn traitor—did not destroy Bob and took the skull into his possession, whence it then passed to Harry after the two dueled. While Harry did not seem to know how dangerous the White Council considered Bob, he has not revealed his possession of the air spirit to many people, and then only out of absolute necessity without going into detail what he is.

Bob's personality seems to change depending on who has possession of his physical skull. With Harry he is somewhat lazy, wise-cracking, and more than a little lecherous. When allowed to remember being kept by Kemmler, he became out-right murderous and spiteful, nearly killing Harry but for limitations Bob begged Harry to make before ordering him to remember. When stolen by a necromancer, Bob became largely cold and business-like, simply giving information as needed, but returning to his personality under Dresden upon being dropped. Changes in his personality are accompanied by a change in his eye color, such as being orange when owned by Dresden but red when remembering Kemmler, or blue when he was in the hands of a necromancer. Moreover, when wounded (probably by colliding with a ward) his eyes turned purple.

Bob has said he has no real gender per se, as he is an air spirit with no corporeal form. In response to this, Harry asked why he acts like a perverted old man, enjoying trashy romance novels, pornographic magazines and the like. Bob replied that women are so graceful and beautiful as to be on an entirely different plane from men (before Harry sarcastically adds "And they have boobies", which Bob gleefully echoes).

When allowed out of his skull, Bob is susceptible to attack and will be harmed by sunlight. He can also possess living beings, often riding within Harry's cat, Mister, as both a protection from daylight and to be less obvious than an orange cloud of lights.
catsi563

Re: J-Mart: Winter Soldier, Odin, Harry Dresden

Post by catsi563 »

Not quite sure youre there yet but just curious, no knowledge of the ways on his mothers necklace?
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

catsi563 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:54 am Not quite sure youre there yet but just curious, no knowledge of the ways on his mothers necklace?
I can't remember when he learned that but it should probably be included. I'll edit it eventually.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

That was something Harry picked up in Changes, but Thorp mentioned he hadn't really gotten into the latest books, which likely includes Changes, Ghost Story, Cold Days and Skin Game, along with Brief Cases. He also doesn't have the Soul Fire he picked up in Small Favor, so I imagine this is meant to represent a more "classic" era Harry, before he started getting a lot of additional abilities slapped onto him. Basically, this is a good experienced version of Harry meant to operate on a PC level, who has ridden zombie dinosaurs into battle, is a Warden of the White Council, and who has thwarted the machinations of the the Red and White Courts of Vampires, as well the Knights of the Blackened Denarius and the Black Council / The Circle.

Highly recommend Brief Cases, as well as Skin Game, which is basically "Ocean's 11 in the Dresden-verse". Brief Cases has quite a few stories from the POV of characters other than Harry, which makes for entertaining reading. Zoo Day in particular is a great story.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Ares wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:11 pm That was something Harry picked up in Changes, but Thorp mentioned he hadn't really gotten into the latest books, which likely includes Changes, Ghost Story, Cold Days and Skin Game, along with Brief Cases. He also doesn't have the Soul Fire he picked up in Small Favor, so I imagine this is meant to represent a more "classic" era Harry, before he started getting a lot of additional abilities slapped onto him. Basically, this is a good experienced version of Harry meant to operate on a PC level, who has ridden zombie dinosaurs into battle, is a Warden of the White Council, and who has thwarted the machinations of the the Red and White Courts of Vampires, as well the Knights of the Blackened Denarius and the Black Council / The Circle.

Highly recommend Brief Cases, as well as Skin Game, which is basically "Ocean's 11 in the Dresden-verse". Brief Cases has quite a few stories from the POV of characters other than Harry, which makes for entertaining reading. Zoo Day in particular is a great story.
I think I'm only behind on Skin Game and Brief Cases now. I plan on getting caught up this fall, but I plan a lot of stuff that doesn't pan out. :)

After the comments, I did some Soul...fire searching (Bada bing! I'll be here all week, try the veal) and I realized I did add it. So I guess this would be Harry at about the time of Small Favor, when Uriel granted him the ability. So I probably need to make some other updates to reflect his status overall at the point, but I don't think I missed much. The Map of the Ways did come in a little later so I'll leave that off for now.

Changes was such a big...well, change for the Dresdenverse that I almost feel like posting things after that are almost spoilers even though that book like is 5-6 years old now. As Ares mentioned, I was wanting a "classic" but more experienced Harry where he would fit into a game, or hopefully once I get back into testing mode, a little playtest story with some of my other mystical themed builds and some monsters from my fantasy setting who are close to the denizens of the Nevernever.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Very nice, solid Dresden build! Fits well for him before everything in Changes happens. Man I loved that book, but it was rough reading everything that was happening to poor Harry.
Formerly luketheduke86
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

Curious how you reconcile the All-Father with the CEO of Monoc Security. Thought I've been wondering if Nick Fury isn't just another guise for Mister Wednesday...
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Thorpocalypse

359 - Mouse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

We've got another new item for our Dresden Files Aisle! Check out this J-Mart Favorite Item!

Half chow and half wooly mammoth. A wool chammoth. - Waldo Butters

MOUSE
PL10

OPL: 10; SPL: -; DPL: 8; FWPL: 8; HP: 1

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 4, STAMINA 6, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 0, FIGHTING 8, INTELLECT 0, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 1

SKILLS: Athletics 4 (+8), Deception 4 (+5), Insight 8 (+12), Intimidation 6 (+7), Perception 8 (+12), Persuasion (+1), Stealth (+2)

ADVANTAGES: Diehard, Fast Grab, Improved Trip, Interpose, Teamwork

POWERS:
Animal Senses: Senses 6 (Normal Hearing [Extended], Scent [Acute, Extended, Tracking], Low-Light Vision, Ultrahearing); 6 pts
Temple Dog Senses: Senses 4 (Detect Magic [Mental, Ranged, Extended, Counters Concealment]); 4 pts
Temple Dog Physiology: Protection 2, Regeneration 2 (1/every 5 rounds), Speed 1 (4 mph/60 fpr), Leaping 1 (15 ft); 6 pts
Temple Dog Bite: Piercing Strength-based Damage 2 (Extra: Affects Incorporeal 2, Dangerous); 5 pts
Temple Dog Powers: 20 pt Array; 22 pts
Damaging Bark: Burst Area Sonic Affliction 10 (Resisted by Fortitude; 1st: Hearing Impaired, 2nd: Hearing Disabled, 3rd: Hearing Unaware, Extra: Burst Area x3 [120 ft radius], Flaw: Limited to one sense, Unreliable [5 uses]); 20 pts
Warning Bark: Burst Area Communication 2 (Auditory, 1 Mile; Extra: Burst Area [1 Mile], Flaw: Limited [only communicates warning of danger], Unreliable [5 uses]); 1 pt
Mountain Ice Demon from the Land of Dreams: Variable 3 (15 pt traits; Mystic Descriptor, Flaw: Uncontrolled); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +2
Close Attack +8 [Unarmed +4; Bite +6, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +0
Special Attack [Damaging Bark Affliction +10, Burst Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +7 [DC17] Parry +8 [DC18]
Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +8

COMPLICATIONS:
Disability: Mouse cannot talk to humans or use his paws to easily manipulate objects.
Relationships: Harry and his inner circle, mostly, but Mouse will protect anyone that he deems worthy.
Secret: The full extent of Mouse's abilities have not been revealed and of course, he's not telling.

Abilities 50 + Skills 15 (30 ranks) + Advantages 5 + Powers 43 + Defenses 11 = 124 / 124

Build Comments: And where would Harry be without his faithful dog? Mouse is a temple dog (or Foo dog, depending on your preference) who has saved Harry’s arse many times since he came into his life. Mouse has shown supernatural strength and recovery abilities as well as other temple dog powers like being able to bark loud enough to be heard for miles and the ability to detect magic, and especially dark magic. He seems to show a new ability every book, and in Changes, he was a bad enough dude that he made Harry’s fairy godmother back down, so I added a Variable Power just in case something comes up that he needs to really throw down on. And I did not make him a Minion or a Sidekick because it has become obvious that he probably the wisest character in those books and it's also become debatable as to who owns who. ;)

As for his PL; who knows at this point? If he made Lea back down, he could be capable of PL12-13 level stuff. But for now, we'll keep him at this reasonable level.

Secret Origins: Mouse is one of a group of Temple Dog puppies believed to have Foo Dog ancestry, found and rescued by Harry Dresden after he was hired by the Tibetan monk Brother Wang. The puppies are returned to the monk, but Mouse hides in Harry Dresden's car, the Blue Beetle, missing the flight back to Tibet and remaining with Harry. Dresden ultimately decides to keep the dog and names him "Mouse".

The Story so Far: Mouse grew quickly, reaching up to Dresden's waist in less than a year. Aside from being tall, he also has a broad build. Mouse's coat is dark grey, marked with black on the eartips, tail and lower legs.

Early on, when Anna Ash’s apartment building is on fire, and all of the residents were asleep because of a mild sleeping spell, and the Ordo Lebes women were trapped in Anna’s apartment due to a predator who's been stalking them is outside of her door laying wait—Mouse lets out with an extremely loud “WOOF” repeated over and over with mechanical regularity. The scale of it was similar to a Civil Defense storm warning. Harry described it like a flood of sound, a solid living cascade that rattles your brain. All of the residents awoke and vacated safely without panic. The Ordo were able to escape with the evacuation.

When Harry was in a fight with Torelli’s goons, Mouse races through three feet of snow like he was on a race track and tackled one just before he's about to shoot Harry.

When Harry was helping Morgan prove his innocence in the death of a White Council member, Mouse saved Molly Carpenter by putting himself between Molly and Morgan's bullet. She pulled it out, crying. As soon as Molly left the room, he was up and walking normally, having faked it to make Molly feel her error more. He saved her again when the real killer released the Mistfiend at Morgan's trial when he's outed as the real murderer and the Council's traitor.

Later, Mouse identified the one who came through the Ways into Chicago. Ancient Mai declared Mouse a Foo Dog and therefore able to give testimony at Morgan's trial at White Council headquarters in Edinburgh, as did several of LaFortier's Asian supporters. Ancient Mai says, "Where did you get such a thing and why are you allowed to keep it?" To which Harry replied, "He sort of picked me."

Characterization: Mouse seems to possess an extremely high level of intelligence, able to formulate complex plans and understand instructions. He is a capable fighter and fast runner, and will occasionally emit a nimbus of pale light while in combat. His bark has the ability to break people out of an enchanted sleep and spur them to action. He also seems to possess an endurance and healing ability far beyond mortal dogs; a few hours after being hit by a car, he is able to fight a White Court vampire and his henchman.

Early on, Harry hung a tiny shield from his own shield bracelet on Mouse's collar so that he could track Mouse should he ever need to. Mouse likes going places in the Blue Beetle and he fills up the most of the back seat. It didn't matter that danger was where they were headed. For Mouse, it was all about the journey, not the destination. Mouse makes sure he has his own lead when he goes out with Harry or Molly. Harry suspects it's to make people feel more comfortable around a big dog safely tethered. — He's a people canine.

Friends and Foes: He is completely loyal to Harry and allies.
Thorpocalypse

360 - Karrin Murphy

Post by Thorpocalypse »

We've got more new items for Aisle 8 as we add to our Dresden Files line!

I choose my battles, Dresden, not you. Let me put this in terms that will get through your skull: My friend is going to save a little girl from monsters. And I'm going with him. That's what friends do, Harry. - Karrin Murphy

KARRIN MURPHY
PL8

OPL: 7; SPL: -; DPL: 8; FWPL: 6; HP: 1
Height: 5-2
Weight: 100
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Blonde
Skin: Fair
Race: Human
Identity: Public
Alignment: Hero
Base of Operations: Chicago, IL, USA
Team Affiliations: Chicago PD; Dresden Allies

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 1, STAMINA 2, AGILITY 4, DEXTERITY 4, FIGHTING 10, INTELLECT 2, AWARENESS 3, PRESENCE 2

SKILLS: Acrobatics 1 (+5), Athletics 6 (+7), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+12), Deception 3 (+5), Expertise [Cop] 6 (+8), Expertise [Supernatural] 3 (+5), Insight 6 (+9), Intimidation 3 (+5), Investigation 7 (+9) [Well-Informed], Perception 6 (+9), Persuasion (+2), Ranged Combat [Guns] 4 (+11), Stealth 5 (+9), Vehicles 4 (+8)

ADVANTAGES: Defensive Strike* (1), Defensive Roll (1), Equipment (5), Grabbing Finesse, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (1) (Unarmed), Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative (1), Improved Trip, Leadership, Martial Strike* (1), Precise Attack (1) (Ranged, Cover), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack (3), Takedown (1), Well-Informed

POWERS:
Worthy: Feature 1 (Murphy can use any of the Swords of the Cross to its fullest capabilities); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(25 pts)
Undercover Vest: Protection 3, Limited to Ballistic Damage, Subtle; 3 pts
Knife: Piercing Strength-Based Damage 1, Dangerous; 2 pts
SIG Pistol: Ranged Multiattack Ballistic Damage 3; 9 pts
Vehicles: (11 pts)
Motorcycle: Size - M, Strength - 1, Speed - 6, Def - 10, Tough - 8; 10 pts
Mid-Size Car: Size - L, Strength - 5, Speed - 5, Def - 8, Tough - 8; 1 pt

OFFENSE:
Initiative +8
Close Attack +10 [Knife +2, Critical 19-20]
Unarmed +12 [Unarmed +1, Critical 19-20; Martial Strike Unarmed +2, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +7
Guns +11 [SIG Pistol +3, Multiattack]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +10 [DC20] Parry +10 [DC20]
Toughness +3 (+2 without Defensive Roll, +6 against Ballistics), Fortitude +5, Will +6

COMPLICATIONS:
Enemy: Rudolph, Marcone (to a degree).
Relationships: Harry Dresden, Kincaid (kinda), her mother.
Responsibility: To serve and protect the city and citizens of Chicago.
Underestimated: Because of her small stature, bigger opponents tend to underestimate her. BIG mistake…

Abilities 56 + Skills 28 (56 ranks) + Advantages 23 + Powers 1 + Defenses 12 = 120 / 120

Build Comments: Murph rocks. Karrin Murphy is the head of the Chicago PD Special Investigations Department (S.I.) in the Dresdenverse. At the beginning of the series, she is one of the few who believes that Harry is the real deal whereas most of her unit and the city at large thinks he’s a charlatan. Oh, how wrong they are, we quickly learn.

As the books progress, their relationship changes from a pretty much purely professional relationship to where they pretty much become best friends and they come to depend on each other for support outside of the realm of dealing with supernatural baddies. I hold out hope that they’ll end up together at some point, but so far, Butcher is keeping them apart. Probably best considering that most relationships in books and TV where there’s a lot of romantic tension between characters is a good thing that usually damages the series (see Moonlighting, Friends and countless others) once they finally get together.

As a character and build, she’s a street level badass. She’s a black belt in several martial arts, an award winning markswoman and a great cop. Considering she’s gone toe-to-toe with vampires, evil wizards, a 1000 lb. werewolf and Dresden himself (in training and in a couple of misunderstanding situations), I almost made her an undercapped PL10, but I’ll hold off on that for a while.

Secret Origins: Karrin is the oldest child of Collin and Marion Murphy. She has at least two brothers and at least one sister. Harry learned that before her father's suicide, when Karrin was 11, Collin Murphy was a senior detective in the Chicago PD and a "black cat" investigator, covering the same territory as the modern-day S.I. department. The first meeting between Harry and Murphy occurs in when Murphy - still a uniformed officer at the time - helps Harry fight a troll lurking under a bridge.

The Story so Far: Murphy becomes an officer who works within the Special Investigations (SI) division of the Chicago Police Department, which handles cases in which something unexplainable or supernatural is involved. Traditionally SI has been a dumping ground for officers who have made mistakes, and frequently SI officers leave the force. The commander, in particular, usually only lasts a few months. Murphy was the Lieutenant of the Division, kicked there for asking too many questions, but too connected to be drummed out of the force.

Murphy commands SI for several years, in part because she was not afraid to deal with the supernatural, going so far as to occasionally hire Harry Dresden as a consultant for various unusual cases. Although her demotion to Sergeant is unfair, she does undertake actions that would have her removed from the force altogether. She lies on her police reports routinely (saying that she feels that she writes fiction). Instead of simply omitting unprovable, supernatural events, she invents crimes that believably suit the evidence. Her favorite tactic is inventing terrorists and bombs that do not exist, since her higher-ups find such things desirable.

Murphy has an extremely difficult decision to make in regards to her duties as a policewoman. On the one hand, she is a duly appointed law enforcement officer, charged with the protection of the public from human crime, who takes withholding evidence and information extremely seriously when it is in pursuit of her job and duties. On the other hand, she has become one of the 'clued-in' as of Harry’s Summer Knight case, and realizes that the information that was concealed from her was for her own protection, and that of the public at large. Her choice is to do her job properly and truthfully, and ignore the supernatural community, or to involve in vigilante work against supernatural creatures she decides are acting against the public interest. Thus, to perform both her duties as a police officer, and her greater self-appointed duty to protect the public, she is often forced to engage in activities outside the scope of a law enforcement officer's proper purview. For instance, while she would no more brutalize a standard suspect in a questioning room than any other officer, she did so to Binder, a human with knowledge of summoning, knowing that a) he'd never speak with a lawyer, b) it was going to be impossible (and extremely dangerous to her fellow officers) to keep him incarcerated with his abilities, and c) it was a great distraction for what was really going on.

Murphy has come to realize that standard human laws and protocols, and the bureaucracy that goes with them, are completely incapable of dealing with the true reality of things (a decision confirmed by the slaughter during the jailbreak of the loup-garou she incarcerated), and in her self-appointed pursuit of protecting and 'policing' the supernatural community, she is willing to let slide violations of the law that she would not tolerate during mundane duties; as the creatures she is facing have no belief or respect for human law, she also disregards it. As a result, Murphy has taken upon herself the distasteful job of using highly questionable tactics against creatures nobody wants to believe exist, and taking actions outside the scope of law enforcement boundaries to protect the people of Chicago, without their knowledge.

Murphy's extra-legal actions make her the target of a blackmail plot in by Mavra, a powerful vampire within the Black Court. She obtained photographs of Murphy’s participation in a raid on the group's Chicago hideout. She threatened to use the pictures to destroy Murphy's career and/or have her sent to prison unless Harry fulfilled her demands. He does so, and Murphy never learned about the plot, having been on vacation in Hawaii at the time.

Murphy is twice-divorced, and her second ex-husband Rich, also a policeman, left her because he felt like she was ignoring him for her job. He later married her younger sister Lisa and becomes an FBI agent. Murphy's first marriage was short-lived and occurred before she had graduated from high school. Despite being divorced twice, she is a devout Catholic.

The events of Harry’s Storm Front and Fool Moon cases cause Murphy to distrust Harry, and she reacts in a hostile and violent manner when she suspects he had a hand in the victims' deaths. She also takes action against Harry when she thinks he is keeping information from her because of his other commitments, such as to the White Council. A couple of times she physically assaulted and attempted to arrest him. However, the events of the Summer Knight and other cases led her to put more trust in him, and she becomes one of his closest friends once he takes the plunge and 'clues her in' to the true reality and nature of things.

After assisting Harry and his allies prove Morgan’s innocence, Murphy is demoted to sergeant and replaced by co-worker Detective Sergeant John Stallings, Murphy's partner. This is a major blow to Murphy, but due to Stallings' respect for Dresden it does not significantly impact the S.I.’s working relationship with Harry.

During a battle with the Denarians, Karrin briefly comes into possession of Fidelacchius, one of the swords wielded by the Knights of the Cross. She is able to make use of its power to defend Harry from a Denarian, in what Harry calls a "job offer." Karrin, however, declines to become the sword's new bearer because she has already sworn an oath to protect Chicago, and it remains in Harry's care.

Characterization: Karrin Murphy is a gifted policewoman with street cop, detective, and command experience. She participates in competition shooting, for which she uses a specialized .22 caliber pistol and makes her own ammunition - including silver bullets formed by melting down her earrings in Fool Moon. In addition, she is fearless, inventive, adaptable, and fully capable of holding her own in violent combat. She owns a motorcycle and rides it frequently, and doubtless has been through combat driving schools.

Her most significant asset, however, has proven to be her extensive martial arts ability, as she has been practicing aikido since she was about four years old and has practiced martial arts in general every day since she was seventeen. While she does not consider herself a truly advanced student, she has studied Aikido, Wing Chun, Jujitsu, Kali, Savate, Krav Maga, Taekwondo, Judo, Boxing, and Shaolin Kung Fu. She can thrash all of the cops on the force, beat the snot out of Harry with little effort, and throw around people and beings much bigger and stronger than she is, in more than one case having brought John Marcone’s massive bodyguard Hendricks to his knees with simple wrist or finger locks. She is also Harry's instructor in staff combat. She keeps herself in excellent physical condition via running, working out and regular martial arts bouts.

Friends and Foes: She has a strained relationship with her family for the most part, but she still remains in contact with most of them. She admits to some romantic attraction to Harry as well, but is unwilling to act on it for several reasons. Firstly, she worries about complicating or ruining their friendship and working relationship. She also worries about their difference in lifespans: as a wizard, Harry will live for centuries, and she wants someone who can grow old with her and raise a family.
catsi563

Re: J-Mart: Winter Soldier, Odin, Harry Dresden, Mouse, Karrin Murphy

Post by catsi563 »

Just read Zoo Day from Brief Cases which has an interesting third of the story from Mouses Perspective. Mouse is far more then initial stories even show.

And I love Karen too, shes one of the best Female characters out there right now and her relationship with Harry is really developing well. My only worry with her is that Butcher might end up Worfing her too often. Shes a badass and deserves to kick butt and be standing at the end.

though I grant theres something to be said for also showing that humans no matter how gutsy and well skilled should be cautious dealing with the things Harry does because bloody noses may be the least of your worries
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Catsi stories
Arkrite

Re: 359 - Mouse

Post by Arkrite »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:21 pmMOUSE
Serious candidate for "Best dog ever".

And remarkably tough. He also was hit by a van at high speeds and afterwords wound up limping a little.

Arguably smarter than Dresden :lol:
catsi563

Re: J-Mart: Winter Soldier, Odin, Harry Dresden, Mouse, Karrin Murphy

Post by catsi563 »

always loved this description of Murph

“The door burst open. Murphy came through it, her eyes living flames of azure blue, her hair a golden coronet around her. She held a blazing sword in her hand and she shone so bright and beautiful and terrifying in her anger that it was hard to see. The Sight, I realized, dimly. I was seeing her for who she was.”

Catsi stories