J-Mart OG: Closed for a new location!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Thorpocalypse

Playtest - Nightwing vs. Oddball

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Playtest – Nightwing vs. Oddball

Maneuver Legend: AA – All Out Attack, ACA – Accurate Attack, DA – Defensive Attack, PA – Power Attack, RA – Routine Attack, SA – Standard Attack], TC - Toughness Check, WC – Will Check, FC – Fortitude Check

Intro: As much as I love Nightwing, consider this more of an Oddball test than an evaluation of Grayson. Most of what I’d be looking for with Nightwing I’m covering with Spidey and Batman tests.

--

Nightwing is on patrol in Bludhaven when he comes across some suspicious activity along the docks. He swings down to a building across the alley and uses his Gadgets to pull out a set of mini-binoculars to get a better look.
Perception check is a 31.

As he suspected, some criminals are liberating some merchandise from what appears to be a sporting goods warehouse. Nightwing will drop down from the roof to teach them that crime doesn’t pay.
I’ll say he’s up about 60 ft away and 30 ft. up. He’ll stealth up to try and get the drop on them. Holy crap. He rolled a 2 on Stealth, they got a natural 20. He’s spotted. Acrobatics check to land gets him a 35 so no damage from that, of course. I guess I’ll go to Initiative. I was really expecting a surprise round. The dice are a fickle mistress …

Round 1: Initiative: Oddball – 21, Nightwing – 18, Thugs - 3. Oddball and Nightwing have an HP each. Thugs are minions. The thugs are loading crates onto your standard unmarked van. Oddball is still laying low this round, so it will just be Nightwing and the thugs. Nightwing will quick draw his Escrima Sticks and he’ll take 10 and go PA5 against the first minion and I’ll say that with his Takedown 2, he can get to 5 of the six this round if things go his way. Only having to deal with going around the van to get to the driver will keep him from getting to all of them.

Two of the thugs get close to the check with 21’s on the DC25 checks, but all 5 fall. The last thug, who was in the driver’s seat of the van, will try to make a name for himself and fires his pistol at Nightwing, but he misses with a 17. When Nightwing turns his way, he fires up the van and burns rubber.

Round 2: As Nightwing starts to give chase, suddenly a man in a garish multicolored costume comes out of the warehouse, about 30 ft away. He’s juggling 3 brightly colored balls in one hand and he introduces himself to the former Boy Wonder as Oddball. He tells him that he’s heard about Bludhaven’s protector and that he thought he might see if he’s as “on the ball” as he’s heard. As Nightwing rolls his eyes, Oddball whips the 3 balls at him, his Hard Rubber Balls attack. Standard attack gets him a 22 which misses. Seeing how skilled this guy seems to be, Nightwing figures he should take him seriously. Nightwing closes the distance and goes PA2 with his Escrima Sticks and gets a natural 1. I’m ruling he breaks one of them on the wall he stuck instead of his target. I’m saying that reduces the Strike from 2 ranks 1 for the rest of his encounter.

Round 3: Oddball’s going to get this quick dude off his feet. He moves back into the warehouse his full 30 ft and switches to his Rolling Mar-Balls, a cone area “trip” effect. Nightwing makes the initial Dodge check with a 30, then gets a natural 20 on his Dodge check to avoid the Affliction. Nightwing sheathes his lone Escrima Stick and moves up on Oddball. He’ll Agile Feint him and succeeds, 26 to 15.

Round 4: Oddball will step back about 10 ft and whip his Spiked Balls at Nightwing, AA2, and he misses with a 20. So now Oddball is vulnerable against Dick’s unarmed attack at PA5 and it didn’t matter because Dick still got a 28. DC23 TC but Elton only gets a 7. He’ll use his HP to reroll and he rolls ANOTHER 3, but with the +10 from the HP reroll, it’s a 17 so that kicks it up to a 2nd degree failure.

Round 5: Not even close to the first time he’s been kicked that hard, Oddball will try to throw Dick off balance with his Magnesium Flare Balls. He throw them with a PA2 but misses badly with a natural 2. Nightwing will to Agile Feint Oddball as a move action and does easily with a 25 to 12 that Elton also opposed with Acrobatics. Nightwing goes PA5 unarmed again and nails him with a 27. DC23 TC for Oddball and he gets a 6 for a 4th degree failure and he’s out like a light.

Status – Oddball (-2 toughness, incapacitated, 0 hp), Nightwing (fine, 1 hp), 6 Thugs (5 incapacitated, 1 fled, 0 hp)

Comments: No surprises there, really. Could have lasted longer if Oddball had rolled a little better, but considering his jobbery-ness, only really lasting 2 rounds with Nightwing feels pretty apropos. I’ll have to pick someone else to beat him soon.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Thorpocalypse

Captain Marvel (Billy Batson): Earth-T1

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Time for a MARVELOUS SPECIAL for Aisle 1!

SHAZAM! - Captain Marvel Billy Batson

CAPTAIN MARVEL (BILLY BATSON)
PL14

OPL: 14; SPL: 9; DPL: 14; FWPL: 11; HP: 1
Height: 5-4 (6-3 as Captain Marvel)
Weight: 125 (225 as Captain Marvel)
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black
Skin: Fair
Race: Human
Identity: Secret
Alignment: Hero
Base of Operations: Fawcett City, USA
Team Affiliations: The Justice League; The Justice Society; The Teen Titans

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 18, STAMINA 14, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 7, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 8, PRESENCE 2

SKILLS: Athletics (+19), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+9), Deception (+2), Expertise [Pop Culture] 4 (+5), Expertise [Streetwise] 4 (+5), Insight (+8) [Assessment], Intimidation (+2), Perception (+8), Persuasion 7 (+9), Ranged Combat [Blast] 7 (+9), Stealth (+2)

ADVANTAGES: Assessment, Beginner's Luck, Diehard, Eidetic Memory, Favored Foe (Black Adam), Fearless, Great Endurance, Interpose, Teamwork

POWERS:
S - Wisdom of Solomon: Enhanced Advantages 3 (Assessment, Beginner's Luck, Eidetic Memory), Comprehend 3 (Read, Speak, Write All Languages); 9 pts
H - Strength of Hercules: Enhanced Strength 4 (200,000 Tons; Flaw: Limited to Lifting); 4 pts
A - Stamina of Atlas: Enhanced Advantages 2 (Diehard, Great Endurance), Immunity 10 (Life Support), Protection 4, Impervious Toughness 17; 33 pts
Z - Power of Zeus: 31 pt Array; 32 pts
Mystic Lighting Blast: Ranged Mystical Electrical Damage 15, Feature 1 (Mystical and Electrical Descriptor]); 31 pts
Shazam!: Line Area Mystic Electrical Damage 12 (Extra: Line Area x2 [60 ft line], Indirect [From Above], Flaw: Side Effect [Changes Marvel Family to normal identity if struck]); 1 pt
Rock of Eternity: Movement 1 (Dimensional Travel [Earth/Rock of Eternity); 1 pt

A - Courage of Achilles: Enhanced Awareness 6, Enhanced Advantages 1 (Fearless), Immunity 2 (Mind Reading); 15 pts
M - Swiftness of Mercury: 31 pt Dynamic Array; 35 pts
Flight: Flight 15 (64,000 mph/125 mpr; Extra: Dynamic); 31 pts
Super-Speed: Speed 15 (64,000 mph/125 mpr), Quickness 8 (Extra: Dynamic); 2 pts
Space Travel: Movement 2 (Space Travel 2 [Other star systems], Extra: Dynamic); 2 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +2
Close Attack +7
Unarmed +9 [Unarmed +19]
Ranged Attack +2
Mystic Lighting Blast +9 [Mystic Lighting Blast +15]
Special Attack [Mystic Lightning Strike +12, Line Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +9 [DC19] Parry +10 [DC20]
Toughness +18 (+9 Impervious), Fortitude +14, Will +8

COMPLICATIONS:
Enemy: Dr. Sivana, Black Adam.
Power Loss: Shazam loses his powers if he can be tricked into saying his magic word or if he's struck by +10 rank Lightning.
Relationships: Freddy Freeman, Mary and the rest of his foster family.
Responsibility: Champion of Shazam, defender of the magic world.
Secret Identity: Billy Batson. In his normal identity, Billy has STR 0, STA 1, FGT 2, and AWE 2 with corresponding adjustments to his skill ranks and defenses.

Abilities 98 + Skills 12 (24 ranks) + Advantages 3 + Powers 129 + Defenses 10 = 252 / 252

Build Comments: The Big Red Cheese for my setting. I can’t help it, Ares, sorry, he’s a notch below Superman in my setting. But he could easily beat him with some good rolling.

Secret Origins: When young William Joseph (Billy) Batson's parents were killed by their treacherous assistant Theo Adam, he was separated from his sister Mary and sent to live with their Uncle Ebenezer Batson. Unfortunately, his uncle soon kicked Billy out and stole his inheritance. After bouncing from foster home to foster home, he was taken in by his father’s friend, “Uncle” Dudley. One day a strange cloaked man lead him to a part of the subway he'd never seen before. A marvelous train awaited them, covered in hieroglyphs and runes.

Billy and the stranger boarded and rode the train deep into the bowels of the Earth eventually stopping in a long cavern which housed statues of the Seven Deadly Enemies of Man. Billy wanders the halls in awe, looking at the magical sights and touching everything. As he flicked on illusions of the Seven deadly Enemies of Man, a voice calls him down a dark hallway to the throne-room of the ancient wizard Shazam who had protected mankind from the Seven Deadly Enemies for thousands of years.

The aging Wizard claims to be the last of his brethren, the others murdered by his prior champion Black Adam, and explains to Billy that he needs a new champion, one of pure good, to defend the realm of magic. Shazam had observed Billy as he dealt with and endured the trials and hardships of his young life. Shazam was impressed with Billy's irrepressible altruism and optimism. He determined Billy was the worthy and proper recipient of the power of the Elders, and it was thus that Billy was chosen to become Shazam's latest champion and granted the powers the Elders; Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles and Mercury. The Wizard demanded Billy speak the word "SHAZAM!", but must do so with purpose and belief, with good intentions, and he shall transform into his greatest potential. Billy uttered the word and is magically transformed into the magical muscle-bound champion of the lightning Captain Marvel, and as he does so the Wizard dissolved, telling him he is all that remains between the world and magical threats.

The Story so Far: After battling the Wizard Shazam’s former champion, Black Adam, and having several other adventures, Billy eventually became a member of the revived Justice Society of America and was featured prominently in that group alongside his nemesis Black Adam. Captain Marvel had originally joined the team to keep an eye on Adam, who had joined the JSA claiming to have reformed. Black Adam eventually left the JSA to instigate a takeover of his home country of Kahndaq, and wished to see the totalitarian regime done away with, in what he saw as justice. Captain Marvel remained with the team.

Currently, he is trying to spend more time as Billy Batson, internet blogging legend and floundering middle school student, living with his Uncle Dudley and saving the world when he has to. He is a reserve member of the Justice League and assists the Justice Society Initiative whenever he has time, which isn’t often.

Characterization: Billy Batson is a bright young man with a warm and light-hearted personality. He is kind, optimistic, courageous and altruistic. Although he will usually try to avoid physical confrontation, he will always stand up for what is right no matter the personal risks or cost. Billy idolizes Superman and, despite their many clashes, has tried to follow the Man of Steel's heroic example. Billy is quite protective of his twin sister Mary, both before and after he shared his power of the elders with her and became Mary Marvel. Billy's altruistic and protective side was also evident when he defended Freddy Freeman against Captain Nazi and giving the injured/crippled Freddy a share of the elders' power, transforming him into Captain Marvel Jr. In this new super-powered identity, Freddy used his powers to fight crime, injustice and evil as a member of the Marvel Family.

Throughout the super-human community Billy is generally perceived as Boy Scout, even more so than his idol Superman. Captain Marvel's pure heart, good nature and irrepressible good nature have made him extremely hard to dislike, thus, appropriately, he gets along with the vast majority of people he meets.

Friends and Foes: Captain Marvel often fights evil as a member of a superhero team known as the Captain Marvel Family, made up of himself his sister Mary and his best friend Freddy. He is also close to his mentor, "Uncle" Dudley, Dudley's niece Freckles Marvel, and the mutate talking tiger, Tawky Tawny.

Through his adventures, Captain Marvel has gained an extensive rogues gallery, the most notable of whom include the evil mad scientist Doctor Sivana (and, pre-Crisis, the Sivana Family); Shazam's corrupted previous champion Black Adam, who has powers from Egyptian Gods; Adolf Hitler's champion Captain Nazi; and the mind-controlling worm, Mister Mind, and his Monster Society of Evil. Other Marvel Family foes include the evil robot Mister Atom; the "World's Mightiest Immortal" Oggar, a god with magic powers and former pupil of Shazam with cloven hooves and member of the Pantheon, who was banished for an attempted rebellion; and Ibac and Sabbac, demon-powered supervillains who transform by saying magic words made up of beings who give them power similar to how Captain Marvel and Black Adam do.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:37 am, edited 13 times in total.
Thorpocalypse

220 - Captain Marvel Jr.

Post by Thorpocalypse »

We've got another MARVELOUS SPECIAL that's hitting the Aisle 1 shelves!

I prefer King Marvel. - Freddy Freeman

CAPTAIN MARVEL JR.
PL12

OPL: 12; SPL: 7; DPL: 12; FWPL: 10; HP: 1
Height: 5-8
Weight: 165
Eyes: Blue
Identity: Secret
Alignment: Hero
Base of Operations: Fawcett City, USA
Team Affiliations: The Teen Titans; The Young Avengers

[ABILITIES: STRENGTH 16, STAMINA 12, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 5, INTELLECT 2, AWARENESS 8, PRESENCE 2

SKILLS: Athletics 1 (+17), Close Combat [Unarmed] 3 (+8), Deception (+2), Expertise [Popular Culture] 3 (+5), Expertise [Sports] 3 (+5), Insight (+8), Intimidation (+2), Perception (+2/+8), Persuasion 3 (+5), Ranged Combat [Blast] 6 (+8), Stealth (+2), Technology 1 (+3)

ADVANTAGES: Assessment, Beginner's Luck, Diehard, Eidetic Memory, Fearless, Great Endurance , Teamwork

POWERS:
S - Wisdom of Solomon: Enhanced Advantages 3 (Assessment, Beginner's Luck, Eidetic Memory), Comprehend 3 (Read, Speak, Write All Languages); 9 pts
H - Strength of Hercules: Enhanced Strength 6 (100,000 Tons; Flaw: Limited to Lifting); 6 pts
A - Stamina of Atlas: Enhanced Advantages 2 (Diehard, Great Endurance), Immunity 10 (Life Support), Impervious Protection 3, Impervious Toughness 9; 27 pts
Z - Power of Zeus: 29 pt Array; 31 pts
Mystic Lighting Blast: Ranged Mystical Electrical Damage 14, Feature 1 (Mystical and Electrical Descriptor]); 29 pts
Shazam!: Line Area Mystic Electrical Damage 12 (Extra: Line Area x2 [60 ft line], Indirect [From Above], Flaw: Side Effect [Changes Marvel Family to normal identity if struck]); 1 pt

A - Courage of Achilles: Enhanced Awareness 6, Enhanced Advantages 1 (Fearless), Immunity 2 (Mind Reading); 15 pts
M - Swiftness of Mercury: 29 pt Dynamic Array; 33 pts
Flight: Flight 14 (32,000 mph/60 mpr; Extra: Dynamic); 29 pts
Super-Speed: Speed 15 (32,000 mph/60 mpr), Quickness 8 (Extra: Dynamic); 2 pts
Space Travel: Movement 2 (Space Travel 2 [Other star systems], Extra: Dynamic); 2 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +2
Close Attack +5
Unarmed +8 [Unarmed +16]
Ranged Attack +2
Lightning Blast +8 [Lightning Blast +14]
Special Attack [SHAZAM! +12, Line Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +9 [DC19] Parry +9 [DC19]
Toughness +15 (+7 Impervious), Fortitude +12, Will +8

COMPLICATIONS:
Disability: When in his Freddy Freeman identity, he is physically disabled and must use a cane to walk.
Enemy: Dr. Sivana, Black Adam Family, Captain Nazi, Sabbac.
Power Loss: Kid Shazam loses his powers if he can be tricked into saying his magic word or if he's struck by +10 rank Lightning.
Relationships: Billy Batson (Shazam) and his sister, Mary Batson (Miss Marvel) and to a degree his half-brother Timothy Karnes.
Secret Identity: In his secret identity of Freddy Freeman, has STR 0, STA 1, AGL -1, FGT 2, and AWE 2 with corresponding adjustments to his skill ranks and defenses.

Abilities 86 + Skills 10 (20 ranks) + Advantages 1 + Powers 121 + Defenses 11 = 229 / 229

Build Comments: I never thought Freddy Freeman got his due in the Marvel family. Outside of Elvis and Ares, I haven’t seen much love for him. I’d like to change that in the Thorpocaverse. I’m working on realigning my teams again and I’m going to put him and Mary Marvel on a couple of the big ones so at least I feel that I’ve done my part in my small piece of the fan fiction universe.

Secret Origins: Freddy Freeman was born and raised in a New England fishing village, living with his parents and his foster brother, Timothy Karnes. When Freddy's parents drowned in a storm, Freddy's maternal grandfather Jacob took him in, while Timothy was sent to live with various foster families. As an adult, Karnes would harness the powers of the underworld and become Sabbac, one of the Marvel Family enemies.

The teenage Freddy Freeman, living in Midwestern Fawcett City, was shown to be an all-star student and athlete at the Binder School in Fawcett City, and a friend of Captain Marvel's alter ego Billy Batson. One afternoon, after winning a baseball game for his school team, Freddy and his grandfather Jacob went on a fishing trip in the Fawcett Bay. At the same time, however, Captain Marvel found himself engaged in a battle with the supervillain Captain Nazi. One of Marvel's punches knocks Captain Nazi into the lake near Grandpa Jacob's boat, and Freddy and his grandfather are attacked when they attempted to save the villain from the water, as Freddy thought it was Captain Marvel.

Captain Marvel intervened and rushed both injured bystanders to a hospital. Grandpa Jacob slipped into a coma after being thrown into the lake by Nazi, and Freddy is found to have a severely injured spine and a broken leg, which will prevent him from ever walking again. After a second attack from Captain Nazi, the injured Freddy is taken to the Rock of Eternity by Captain Marvel and his sister Mary. After summoning the spirit of Shazam to guide them, both grant the boy the power to become Captain Marvel Jr..

Later, Jacob dies, and Captain Marvel Jr. goes on a rampage against Captain Nazi until the other Shazams intervene. Nazi and Captain Marvel Jr. would become arch-enemies, regularly pitted against one another.

The Story so Far: Freddy continued to be close both Billy and Mary, having many adventures together as the Marvel Family. However, Billy and Freddy had a falling out after Billy caught Freddy and Mary in a kiss. This caused Freddy to set out on his own for a while, where he joined the Teen Titans and The Outsiders briefly.

Billy and Freddy have since reconciled and Freddy has become a member of the Justice Society Initiative and has become a leader of the newest generation of young heroes.

Characterization: Freddy is an outgoing young man that never lets the disability he deals with in his mortal form get him down. He is a huge fan of Elvis and often refers to himself as King Marvel as a tribute to his idol.

Friends and Foes: Freddy remains close to Billy and Mary and has becomes friends with several of the younger heroes of Earth-T1. He’s become close to Hulking and Wiccan in particular and has had a few adventures with the Dynamo 5.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:18 am, edited 6 times in total.
Thorpocalypse

Black Adam: Earth-T1

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Our last MARVELOUS SPECIAL is getting stocked on Aisle 1 and it's also one of our best selling BLACK LIGHT SPECIALS!

Send soldiers. Send armies. Send them all. - Black Adam

BLACK ADAM
PL15

OPL: 15; SPL: 9; DPL: 15; FWPL: 12; HP: 1
Height: 6-3
Weight: 250
Eyes: Brown
Skin: Olive
Identity: Public
Alignment: Neutral
Base of Operations: Khandaq
Team Affiliations: The Justice Society; The Secret Society

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 19, STAMINA 14, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 11, INTELLECT 3, AWARENESS 2 [10], PRESENCE 4

SKILLS: Athletics (+19), Deception 3 (+7), Expertise [Magic] 6 (+9), Expertise [Tactics] 5 (+8), Insight (+8) [Assessment], Intimidation 6 (+10), Perception (+8), Persuasion (+4), Ranged Combat [Lighting Blast] 8 (+10), Stealth (+2)

ADVANTAGES: Assessment, Beginner's Luck, Benefit (6) (Wealth, Status, Resources 6 – Ruler of Khandaq), Diehard, Eidetic Memory, Fearless, Great Endurance, Jack-of-all-Trades

POWERS:
S - Stamina of Shu: Enhanced Advantages 2 (Diehard, Great Endurance), Immunity 10 (Life Support), Protection 4, Impervious Toughness 17; 33 pts
H - Swiftness of Heru: 31 pt Dynamic Array; 35 pts
Flight: Flight 15 (64,000 mph/125 mpr; Extra: Dynamic); 31 pts
Super-Speed: Speed 15 (64,000 mph/125 mpr), Quickness 8 (Extra: Dynamic); 2 pts

A - Strength of Amon: Enhanced Strength 5 (400,000 Tons; Flaw: Limited to Lifting); 5 pts
Z - Wisdom of Zehuti: Enhanced Advantages 4 (Assessment, Beginner's Luck, Eidetic Memory, Jack-of-all-Trades), Comprehend 3 (Read, Speak, Write All Languages); 10 pts
A - Power of Aton: 31 pt Array; 33 pts
Mystic Lighting Blast: Ranged Mystic Electrical Damage 15, Feature 1 (Mystical and Electrical Descriptor]); 31 pts
Mystic Lighting Strike: Mystic Electrical Line Area Damage 12 (Extra: Extra: Line Area x2 [60 ft line], Indirect [From Above], Flaw: Side Effect [Changes Marvel Family to normal identity if struck]); 1 pt

M - Courage of Mehen: Enhanced Awareness 6, Enhanced Advantages 1 (Fearless), Immunity 2 (Mind Reading); 15 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +2
Close Attack +11 [Unarmed +19]
Ranged Attack +2
Lightning Blast +10 [Lightning Blast +15]
Special Attack [SHAZAM! +12, Line Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +11 [DC21] Parry +12 [DC22]
Toughness +18 (+9 Impervious), Fortitude +14, Will +9

COMPLICATIONS:
Enemy: The Marvel family (sometimes), Shazam, anyone who is against Khandaq.
Power Loss: Black Adam loses his powers and reverts to his mortal form when he speaks the magic word “Shazam.” His stats drop to STR 3, STA 3, FGT 5.
Relationships: His wife, Isis (Adrianna Tomaz).
Temper: Black Adam is infamous for his towering rages.

Abilities 114 + Skills 14 (28 ranks) + Advantages 6 + Powers 131 + Defenses 11 = 276 / 276

Build Comments: Loves me some Black Adam. Do not love that we haven’t seen him in much in the New 52 after Forever Evil. But not fear not, my friends; here he rules. Khandaq. Like he should.

And I never got around to Isis and Osiris before, so that will have to be rectified post haste.

Secret Origins: Adam was born to the Egyptian Pharaoh Ramses II in the neighboring land of Kahndaq. While there are contradictory accounts of the circumstances of Black Adam’s early history, certain elements are consistent:

While serving as high priest to Ramses II, the wizard Shazam sought a successor to his godly powers. Impressed with his virtue and martial heroism, he chose Adam. Having determined to make Adam his successor, Shazam’s intentions were altered by the intervention of his half-demonic daughter Blaze. Blaze struck a bargain with the god Set so that when Adam speaks the word “Shazam,” instead of becoming the avatar of the wizard’s deific patrons, he becomes the avatar of the Egyptian gods Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton and Mehen.

The Story so Far: "Teth-Adam" (Mighty Adam) then served the Egyptian pharaoh as his champion for hundreds of years thereafter. However, Teth-Adam eventually fell from the good graces of Shazam. This happened either because Adam became dictatorial towards Kahndaq, he became corrupted and homicidal by his powers, or the wizard believed he was plotting conquest with Blaze. Henceforth, the wizard referred to him as "Khem" (or "Black") Adam. In any event, Shazam, unable to take his powers away, banishes him to the most distant star in the universe. Made cautious by this failure, Shazam does not empower another champion until modern times when Billy Batson was made into Captain Marvel.

Black Adam spent the next 5,000 years flying back to Earth. By the time he made it back, Shazam had appointed a new champion to take his place: Billy Batson, who had taken the wizard’s mantle of Captain Marvel. The two fought immediately with Captain Marvel gaining the upper hand in their initial battle. The two have many battles over the years, at times being bitter enemies but at times working together when the need arose.

Adam has battled many heroes over the years, from the Avengers, the Justice League, Superman and Stormwatch. He has also reformed at times, being a member of Stormwatch and the Justice Society.

Adam is currently ruling Khandaq along with his wife resurrected wife, Isis. He is being "good" by Black Adam terms, refusing offers from Doom to assist him with a plan he’s working on. He continues to spurn Doom’s overtures, but you never know what could set him off and change that. Amanda Waller knows that, too, and she also knows that peace is not always a good thing people in her line of work...

Characterization: Adam has an old-fashioned and militant ideals of justice, and an officious and strongly opinionated attitude. His stubbornness is legendary and once he has decided on a course of action, there is no changing it.

Friends and Foes: While he and Captain Marvel and his family have had numerous conflicts, they have at times worked together due to their shared magical connection to the wizard Shazam. Adam is closest to his wife, Isis, and her brother, Osiris.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:53 am, edited 9 times in total.
Skaramine

Re: J-Mart: Playtests - Spidey/Bane, Nightwing/Oddball; Captain Marvel, Black Adam

Post by Skaramine »

Characterization: Freddy is an outgoing young man that never lets the disability he deals with in his mortal form get him down. He is a huge fan of Elvis and often refers to himself as King Marvel as a tribute to his idol.
Someone just started cutting onions as I was reading backwards up from Adam.

Call me a sap, but that is just some outstanding writing in your Thorpverse Freddy (if DC ain't doing this, they should.)

It's the same onion cutting feeling I got when Kevin Conroy's Batman told Adam West's character "you're my inspiration."
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
StarGuard

Re: J-Mart: Playtests - Spidey/Bane, Nightwing/Oddball; Captain Marvel, Black Adam

Post by StarGuard »

Loving the Marvel builds Thorp. I'm always saying I'm going to put a Ready to Play PC version of Kid's Fate and Shazam down but haven't got to either yet. I always thought Freddy's run on the Titan's could have been better done and would love to see someone who gives a poop try again
kenseido

Re: 220 - Captain Marvel Jr.

Post by kenseido »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:31 pmHe is a huge fan of Elvis and often refers to himself as King Marvel as a tribute to his idol.
Also - and I truly love this part - he can't say his hero name without transforming.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

kenseido wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:27 pm
Thorpocalypse wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:31 pmHe is a huge fan of Elvis and often refers to himself as King Marvel as a tribute to his idol.
Also - and I truly love this part - he can't say his hero name without transforming.
King Marvel is also tons better than CM3.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
Ken

Post by Ken »

StarGuard wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:46 am I'm always saying I'm going to put a Ready to Play PC version of Kid's Fate and Shazam down but haven't got to either yet.

You want to make the 5000 old wizard a player character?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Spam

Post by Spam »

I never understood why he just didnt use a different name. There are lots of decent names that don't have the words captain AND marvel in them.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Spam wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:15 pm
I never understood why he just didnt use a different name. There are lots of decent names that don't have the words captain AND marvel in them.
Because he wasn't created from a story driven point of view. He was created from a marketing point of view. For a good chunk of the 1940s, Captain Marvel was THE best selling super hero in the business. Captain Marvel Junior was created specifically to cash in on that gravy train. More realistic art, compared to C.C. Beck's style, and more earthy, less fantasy driven stories (generally). Basically, he was the same, but different. And he needed a name that drove that marketability home.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Spam

Post by Spam »

That made sense in the 40s, but now not even Captain Marvel is called Captain Marvel. I remember in the Teen Titans, he was all bothered that he couldnt tell anyone what his name was, so he settled on CM3. If you're going to change your name anyway, why not pick a GOOD name? Captain Lightning? Kid Marvel? Marvel Lad? The Boy Marvel? Pretty much anything would be better than CM3.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Probably because Marvel would have found some way to drop another litigation suit on them :roll: Much as I've always been a Marvellite their shenanigans do get tiresome.

PS: no Ken, the Kid legacy of Fate and Cpt. Marvel ;)
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

The notion of Freddy being unable to say his own name was actually a plot-point in several stories. But it also likewise proved useful at other times.

On the negative side, when introducing himself to a time traveler, he switched from Junior to Freddy, and thus made himself vulnerable to an attack by Sivana Jr.

While another time, when Billy, Mary and Freddy were under mind control along with the rest of the city, Capt. Nazi commanded everyone to call out for Captain Marvel to rescue them from some new menace. Everyone called out, including Freddy, who was transformed into Capt. Marvel Jr., which freed him from the mind control.

I'd say if I was going to update Freddy's name, it'd be to Lt. Marvel, as a nod to the original Lieutenants who were phased out during the Crisis. It keeps the "Freddy is a lower rank than Cap" aspect, but is something he can introduce himself as.

Though part of the charm of Freddy's name is how anachronistic it is, and that being unable to say his name is kind of the joke. Still, Lt. Marvel would be my choice.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Also Thorp, glad to see you statting up the classic Cap. And having Freddy be an Elvis fan is a nice nod to the fact that the King was himself a Capt. Marvel Jr. fan, hence the caped outfit he wore.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.