J-Mart OG: Closed for a new location!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Thorpocalypse

Re: J-Mart: LADIES NIGHT! Warrior Woman, Sin, Power Princess

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Goldar wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:49 pm How nice! A Birthday gift for me on my Birthday! One of my favorite gals, too! Thank you, Jab!
Happy Birthday, by the way. :D
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Man, I forget which Zarda is which, too. This was an EEEEEEEEEEEEEVIL one, which was clear, and the comic ALSO introduced the "regular" one. I OWN that series, and even I can't remember.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:31 pm
Goldar wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:49 pm How nice! A Birthday gift for me on my Birthday! One of my favorite gals, too! Thank you, Jab!
Happy Birthday, by the way. :D
Thank you, my Friend!
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

I really like the Ultimates Zarda.

Hmmm. Zarda versus Injustice Diana.

That'd be fun.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
Gamebook

Post by Gamebook »

Isn't huge numbers of alternate universe versions of them a feature of the Squadron Supreme characters? I remember reading the Exiles series where there was practically a Hyperion civil war with multiple good and evil versions of him bashing lumps out of each other.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

I'm really partial to Gruenwald's 1985 Squadron Supreme characters. The various alternate versions from 2003 onward never really clicked with me.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Ken

Post by Ken »

Woodclaw wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:32 am I'm really partial to Gruenwald's 1985 Squadron Supreme characters. The various alternate versions from 2003 onward never really clicked with me.
You and me both.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

I just realized that some of my most favorite female furies all have super-strength and wear black costumes, be they bad girls or good ones:
:o Superwoman, Night Girl, Donna Troy, Carol Danvers Ms Marvel, Warrior Woman and Valkyrie! :o
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Woodclaw wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:32 am I'm really partial to Gruenwald's 1985 Squadron Supreme characters. The various alternate versions from 2003 onward never really clicked with me.
The Supreme Power material might as well be removed from continuity entirely and exiled to the same section of the Phantom Zone as the Sentry, given how terrible it is.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Supreme Power went with the "Ultimates" logic of "realistic superheroes", in the sense that everyone in the setting were complete jerkes, had some severe mental issues, or were some flavor of amoral. In that setting, Blurr was the only one who was genuinely heroic and well-adjusted.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ares wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:42 pm Supreme Power went with the "Ultimates" logic of "realistic superheroes", in the sense that everyone in the setting were complete jerkes, had some severe mental issues, or were some flavor of amoral. In that setting, Blurr was the only one who was genuinely heroic and well-adjusted.
What if Kal-El's rocket landed in a John le Carré novel?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Ken wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:58 pm
Ares wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:42 pm Supreme Power went with the "Ultimates" logic of "realistic superheroes", in the sense that everyone in the setting were complete jerkes, had some severe mental issues, or were some flavor of amoral. In that setting, Blurr was the only one who was genuinely heroic and well-adjusted.
Dammit, Ken, I'm learning again!!! I had to look up who John le Carré was. This is not the J-Mart way. ;)
Thorpocalypse

Lady Shiva: Earth-T1

Post by Thorpocalypse »

We're having so much fun with this LADIES' NIGHT, we've decided to extend this to LADIES' WEEK! Check out this J-Mart Favorite Item on Aisle 1!

Her hobby is hunting down the best fighters in the world and beating them to death with her bare hands. - Oracle

LADY SHIVA
PL11

OPL: 11; SPL: 9; DPL: 11; FWPL: 8; HP: 1
Height: 5-8
Weight: 141
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Black
Skin: Olive
Race: Human
Identity: Secret
Alignment: Villain
Base of Operations: Mobile
Team Affiliations: None

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2, STAMINA 4, AGILITY 7, DEXTERITY 7, FIGHTING 13, INTELLECT 3, AWARENESS 7, PRESENCE 3

SKILLS: Acrobatics 8 (+15) [Agile Feint], Athletics 10 (+13), Close Combat [Unarmed] 3 (+19), Deception (+3), Expertise [Magic] 3 (+6), Expertise [Martial Arts] 12 (+15), Expertise [Streetwise] 6 (+10), Insight 13 (+20) [Assessment, Skill Mastery], Intimidation 8 (+11), Investigation 6 (+9), Perception 12 (+19), Persuasion (+3), Ranged Combat [Throwing] 2 (+13), Stealth 8 (+15), Treatment 4 (+7)

ADVANTAGES: Agile Feint, Assessment, Benefit (1) (Status – World’s Deadliest Martial Artist), Close Attack (3), Damaging Escape*, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (3), Defensive Strike*, Evasion (1), Favored Foe (Martial Artists), Follow-Up Strike*, Grabbing Finesse, Improved Critical (2) (Unarmed 2), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative (1 [2]), Improved Trip, Languages (2) (English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, 1 other, Base: Japanese), Martial Strike* (1), Move-by Action, Power Attack (2) (Leopard Blow, Unarmed), Precise Attack (2) (Close, Cover; Close, Concealment), Ranged Attack (4), Redirect, Seize Initiative, Skill Mastery (1) (Insight), Takedown (2), Trance, Uncanny Dodge, Weapon Break

POWERS:
Body Language Reading: Immunity 5 (Interaction Effects), Senses 1 (Danger Sense [Visual]), Enhanced Parry 2 (Flaw: Sustained), Enhanced Dodge 2 (Flaw: Sustained), Enhanced Advantages 4 (Defensive Strike*, Evasion, Improved Initiative, Uncanny Dodge), Enhanced Skill 1 (Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 ranks) (Flaw: Resistible [Will vs. Insight]); 7 pts
Leopard Blow: Bludgeoning Strength-based Damage 3 (Extra: Dangerous 4, Flaw: Unreliable [5 uses]); 4 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +11 (+15 with Body Language Reading)
Close Attack +16 [Leopard Blow +6, Critical 16-20]
Unarmed +19 [Unarmed +2, Critical 18-20; Martial Strike Unarmed +3, Critical 18-20]
Ranged Attack +11
Throwing +13

DEFENSES:
Dodge +13 (+15 with Body Language Reading) [DC23/25] Parry +13 (+15 with Body Language Reading) [DC23/25]
Toughness +7 (+4 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +9

COMPLICATIONS:
Obsession: Lady Shiva is driven to perfect her martial-arts skills.
Relationships: Shiva has some level of maternal feelings for her daughter, Cassandra Cain. She also seems to have an affiniity for Black Canary and Barbara Gordon (from her time as Oracle).
Rivalry: She has a long running rivalry with Shang-Chi about who is the world's greatest martial artist.

Abilities 92 + Skills 48 (96 ranks) + Advantages 38 + Powers 11 + Defenses 11 = 200 / 200

Build Comments: I knew a while back that I had to rework Lady Shiva for the Thorpacoverse. Her DCA build was really cool but a bit too powerful for my personal taste. This build puts her more in line with the top martial artists in my setting. In most cases she should win against Shang-Chi, Iron Fist, Cassandra Cain, etc. but it's not going to be a situation where they are big underdogs.

Secret Origins: Sandra Wu-San, alias Lady Shiva is one of the world's greatest martial artist, possibly the best. Not much is known about her before the murder of her sister, Carolyn. After her sister was murdered, a rich and powerful criminal named Cravat convinced Sandra that a 'spy' named Richard Dragon had killed her. There was a spark of what Sandra would become in her even then. Cravat saw that spark in Sandra and took advantage of her, sending her after Dragon for reasons of his own. Dragon was a world class martial artist. Knowing that she would have to be well-trained to avenge her sister, Sandra trained herself in martial arts. As she trained, she found that she had a natural inborn skill for the movements and the techniques. Her skills increased at an unheard of speed until she felt as though she was ready to find and challenge Dragon.

The Story so Far: The battle she craved was not to be. After tracking Richard Dragon down, he managed to explain that Cravat had lied about the identity of Carolyn's killer. Cravat had used her for his own purposes in an attempt to kill Dragon. With this revelation and no knowledge available to her as to who actually had killed her sister, Sandra's purpose vanished. There was no need for her extensive martial knowledge and all of the training she had done. Seeing the potential for great things in her, Dragon continued to teach Sandra, the training giving her purpose again. He also coaxed her to explore the spiritual side of martial arts. During that exploration of herself and the mystic world, Sandra discovered what she saw as important truths. These discoveries helped her decide to let go of her past and to embark upon a new life, a new future - from then on she was Sandra no more, renaming herself Shiva.

After her reinvention, she fought crime with Richard Dragon and Ben Turner. Her time as a crime fighter lasted for a short time. This time, in its brevity, prepared her for the wandering existence her life would become. Richard Dragon decided to retire into the mountains, becoming reclusive. Ben Turner was brainwashed and eventually transformed into the Bronze Tiger. Shiva sought a path closer to her perception of her true self.

Shiva decided to go with her skills and natural talents, continuing to perfect her martial arts. During her time with Richard Dragon she had become addicted to combat and life-or-death situations. Already a very accomplished martial artist, Shiva hired herself out as a mercenary in order to finance her activities and training. While doing right had been a factor in her life previously, it was becoming less and less of a consideration as she followed the path she set for herself. Her considerable skills allowed her to ask a high price for her services and there were plenty of takers.

Shiva was once hired to kill Victor Sage, The Question. She defeated him with ease. After his defeat, he was shot in the head and dumped into the river. Having seen something in him, maybe having been impressed by his potential skill, she saved him, fishing him out of the river. Shiva took him into the mountains to meet her former sensei, Richard Dragon, so he could have the same chances to refine and improve upon his skill. They have encountered each other from time to time since then. Almost every time Shiva tests his skills against her own. Sage has become a measuring stick for Shiva and she has been heard to comment that his skills are among the best in the world.

Shiva continued to sell her services as a mercenary for the money and the challenge it brought her. Eventually, she crossed paths with the League of Assassins, as well as its leader, Ra's al Ghul. Ra's handed most of the operations over to Shiva, which would bring about a struggle for control between the two of them later on. Though Shiva’s primary concern is the perfection of her skills, she has kept close ties with the League over the years.

Shiva was also hired to train prospective assassins, mercenaries or terrorists. She also began to track down those who referred to themselves as Shihan, "Master", or any other title proclaiming mastery of a martial arts form. She would learn what she could from them and depending on their skill, kill them when they were of no further use to her. Shiva’s decision whether or not to kill a particular opponent seem to be based on whimsy. During this time, while seeking out Green Arrow with Sensei for a mission, she encountered and fought with Black Canary.

Later, Shiva developed a specific interest in Koroshi, master of the art of empty-handed fighting, after hearing that he had been defeated. Any time a true martial arts master is defeated, Shiva does her best to verify the fact and discover how it was accomplished. After gaining no information from Koroshi himself, she started to look for the man rumored to have defeated him, King Snake, to get the information from him instead. During her search, she met Timothy Drake, who was undergoing training to become the new Robin. Tim Drake was fighting King Snake's criminal organization, the Ghost Dragons, with the help of a DEA agent, Clyde Rawlins. Shiva trained Tim in martial arts generally and specifically in one weapon - he chose the bo staff. Shiva mentioned, somewhat derisively, that it was not a lethal weapon, to which he replied that was the reason he had chosen it. At the end of his training, he defeated Shiva once, with the bo as his weapon. She gifted him with a collapsible bo staff.

King Snake was creating a virulent plague. The three attempted to stop them from releasing it but the Ghost Dragons escaped with a few of the canisters. After tracking them to Hong Kong, they eventually defeated King Snake, though Rawlins died in the attempt and Shiva mostly watched the proceedings. Shiva ordered Robin to kill King Snake while he hung from a building, though he refused to do so. Shiva kicked King Snake off the cliff to his death, though later it would be revealed that he did not actually die.

After Bane broke the Batman's back, he sought out Shiva to help him regain what the skills and fighting spirit which he had lost. She deemed him unworthy of her efforts. Out of respect for what and who he was before his back was broken, she devised a training regimen for him. As part of this training, Shiva killed an armless sensei in Gotham City while wearing a tengu mask, making sure that his best student witnessed the death. There were plenty who sought revenge or to challenge Shiva. Shiva then made Batman wear the tengu mask while performing training missions. He was taken by surprise when he was attacked by the master's students, who mistook him for Shiva. He defeated all of them in turn. Shiva was attempting to "complete" Batman's training by manipulating him into killing an opponent. Batman fooled Shiva into believing he had done so, using a false imitation of the Leopard Blow technique she had taught him. Shiva later discovered the truth, but did not seek vengeance.

Over the years, Shiva amassed groups of followers who seem to worship her as an incarnation of Shiva, the Hindu goddess of death. Shiva pays them little attention, other than occasionally using them as lackeys or killing them when it suits her whims. Some of her followers have even created temples to honor her victories. There was one such temple in Gotham, which she destroyed. There are likely others found around the world. Her followers are nearly as obsessed as she is, though they do not come close to matching her skills.

Shiva later sought out Cassandra Cain, the new Batgirl, in order to test her skill. Having heard that she was a fighter with legendary talent, Shiva was disappointed to find her barely able to defend herself. Batgirl had been raised in isolation by her father, the assassin David Cain, who never taught her how to speak, read, or write any language. Instead, she developed a phenomenal ability to analyze the body language of others, which, coupled with the martial arts training she received, made her an incomparable fighter. After being gifted with an understanding of language by a psychic whom she had rescued, she lost her talent for understanding body language.

Shiva and Batgirl struck a deal: Shiva would re-teach the girl the skills she had lost and in return, Cassandra Cain would face her in a battle to the death one year later. Shiva appeared to fight Batgirl at the Forum of The Twelve Caesars. Initially, Shiva defeated Batgirl, rendering her clinically dead. Realizing that Batgirl had not given her all, Shiva revived her. Batgirl admitted to Shiva that she had been fighting suicidally, harboring a death wish due to the fact that Cain had forced her to kill a man with her bare hands when she was only a child. Her ability to perfectly understand the agony of her victim traumatized Batgirl. Having now overcome her death wish, Batgirl fought Shiva again, shattering the sword she wielded. In the midst of battle, Batgirl accused Shiva of having a death wish herself and that she was really only traveling the world and fighting other martial artists in search of her own death. Batgirl defeated Shiva by breaking her jaw, but refused to kill her.

Shiva later claimed that she is Cassandra's real mother. She engaged Cassie in one last battle to satisfy her 'death wish'. Cassandra left Shiva apparently dead, although near a Lazarus pit.

Having switched places with Black Canary in order to allow them both to experience each other's life experiences, Shiva joined Oracle's covert team of female operatives known as the Birds of Prey (with Canary hoping that spending time with them would soften Shiva), using the name "Jade Canary". However, she retained her hard and cold personality. Oracle semi-seriously refers to Shiva as being possibly sociopathic. Barbara Gordon refuses to call Shiva by the Jade Canary title, even though Shiva (as part of the deal with Canary) has taken to wearing Black Canary's boots and trademark fishnet stockings (even though she hates wearing them).

During one mission, Oracle's team confronted the villain Prometheus, whose helmet allows him to copy the skills of 30 of the world's greatest martial artists, including Shiva herself. This had allowed him a victory against Batman in the past. Shiva believed that his files on her would be out of date, as well as that she would be able to defeat her "old self". She seemed unconcerned about the skills of the other 29 fighters and apparently decided to attack Prometheus head-on. Prometheus, however, had more up-to-date files than Shiva suspected and in three seconds had knocked her to the ground. After this defeat, Shiva vanished, leaving a message for Black Canary: "Tell the Canary, I release her."

Stripped of her chance to mold Black Canary in her own image, stripped of Sin (the young girl who was next in line as her successor), Shiva was last seen talking to Bethany Thorne, daughter of the late Crime Doctor Bradford Thorne. It appears that she is yet again hoping to train a new heir in the art of her lethal form of martial arts.

Still, although Shiva is no longer an active member of the Birds of Prey, she continues to be protective of her former teammates. Such is the case when the Birds of Prey were being threatened by Spy Smasher who attempts to steal control away from Oracle. After a mission in Russia, Oracle and Spy Smasher fight against one another for control of the team. Although Oracle is unable to use her legs, she is victorious, though Spy Smasher attempts to go back on their deal. Unfortunately, she is confronted outside by every single Birds of Prey agent Oracle has ever recruited, who warn her against ever going after Oracle ever again. Amongst them was Lady Shiva. Later, when Barbara asks the others who called Shiva, no one responded.

Characterization: Shiva is rivaled only by a select few, including Shang-Chi, Batman, Richard Dragon, Shen Kuei. Iron Fist, Cassandra Cain and a select few others, as the greatest martial artist in the world. Among all of them, though, she is no doubt the deadliest, having killed more people than she can count in her pursuit of martial arts perfection.

Friends and Foes: She seems to have a protective nature of Cassandra Cain and Black Canary, even though she sees them as rivals at times. She constantly seeks out new martial arts masters to test herself against so she has developed a number of rivals and enemies.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Ken wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:58 pm
That's actually close to correct, but you'd also have to add "and was sent from a bad Culture fanfic".
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Thorpocalypse

329 - Lady Vic

Post by Thorpocalypse »

We've got another LADY as LADIES' WEEK continues!

Talks like Jane Seymour, fights like Bruce Lee. - Nightwing

LADY VIC
PL9

OPL: 9; SPL: -; DPL: 9; FWPL: 6; HP: 1
Height: 5-6
Weight: 120
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Blonde
Skin: Fair
Race: Human
Identity: Secret
Alignment: Villain
Base of Operations: Morton Manor, London, England
Team Affiliations: Blockbuster's Gang

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2, STAMINA 3, AGILITY 5, DEXTERITY 4, FIGHTING 12, INTELLECT 3, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 2

SKILLS: Acrobatics 6 (+11), Athletics 6 (+8), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+14), Deception 8 (+10/+12) [Attractive, Taunt], Expertise [Assassin] 5 (+8), Expertise [Streetwise] 2 (+5), Insight 5 (+9), Intimidation 7 (+9), Perception 4 (+8), Persuasion 5 (+7/+9) [Attractive], Sleight of Hand 3 (+7), Stealth 6 (+11), Vehicles 3 (+7), Variable

ADVANTAGES: Attractive (1), Defensive Roll (2), Equipment (5), Evasion (1), Grabbing Finesse, Improved Aim, Improved Initiative (1), Improvised Weapon (1), Languages (1) (French, 1 other, Base: English), Move-by Action, Power Attack (3) (Daggers, Katar, Katana), Ranged Attack (7), Takedown (1), Taunt,

POWERS:
NONE

EQUIPMENT:
[(25 pts)
Twin Katar: Slashing/Piercing Strength-based Damage 4, Penetrating 2, Split; 7 pts
Bundi Daggers: Piercing Strength-Based Damage 1, Dangerous; 2 pts
Thuggee Strangling Cord: Grabbing 0, Chokehold; 1 pt
Arsenal: (15 pts)
Twin Wembley Revolvers: Ranged Ballistic Damage 6, Split; 13 pts
Masai Javelin: Ranged Piercing Damage 2, Dangerous; 1 pt
Katana: Slashing Strength-Based Damage 3, Dangerous; 1 pt

OFFENSE:
Initiative +9
Close Attack +12 [Twin Katars +6; Katana +5, Critical 19-20; Bundi Daggers +3, Critical 19-20]
Unarmed +14 [Unarmed +2]
Ranged Attack +11 [Massai Javelin +2, Critical 19-20; Webley Revolver +6]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +12 [DC22] Parry +13 [DC23]
Toughness +5 (+3 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +6

COMPLICATIONS:
Elitist: Lady Vic can certainly come off as arrogant and snooty at times, if not downright condescending.
Motivation: Money and her rep.
Secret: Lady Vic's real reason for her constant work is to continue to pay the mortgage on her family estate to keep it from foreclosure, which would be a devastating blow to the family legacy.

Abilities 70 + Skills 31 (62 ranks) + Advantages 27 + Powers 0 + Defenses 13 = 141 / 141

Build Comments: I like Lady Vic, and apparently I’m not the only once since she made into the New 52 to take on Batwing II and I'm sure it won't be long before we see her again in Rebirth now that Blockbuster is "back" in Bludhaven. She has been a long-time adversary of Nightwing, especially during the original Bludhaven years, but she was popular enough to survive its destruction in get into the Secret Society and also pester the Birds of Prey before the DCnU kicked off.

Secret Origins: Lady Elaine Marsh-Morton is a genuine English Aristocrat, descended from a long line of British soldiers and mercenaries. She is an expert martial artist, proficient with many different kinds of firearms and melee weapons, and works as an assassin-for-hire. The money she earns from her secret career helps prevent foreclosure on her impoverished family estate.

The Story so Far: In her first appearance, she was returning to Blüdhaven to collect a fee for an assignment she had performed for Blüdhaven gang boss Antonio "Angel" Marin; she was upset to find Marin missing. She tracked down his lawyer, and threatened to kill the man's young daughter if she wasn’t paid – a threat she definitely would have carried out, if Nightwing had not intervened. Dudley Soames informed her that Marin had been replaced by Blockbuster, and offered to pay her fee, with a retainer to continue working for him. Since then, she clashed repeatedly with Nightwing.

Elaine was one of several of Blockbuster’s hirelings tasked with tracking down Oracle. When Blockbuster was dying of heart failure, Elaine was the one entrusted with locating Gorilla City in Africa, and finding him a replacement heart.

Lady Vic was later sent to eliminate Blockbuster's ally Tarantula when he learned she had disobeyed his orders. Tarantula defeated Lady Vic, and shot her in the stomach.

A year after the Infinite Crisis, Lady Vic was hired by Doctor Psycho and Cheshire to destroy the Secret Six. She and Double Dare attacked Deadshot when he was in the park with his wife and child (who fled upon their arrival). Unarmed, Deadshot was easily defeated by Double Dare, and Lady Vic was about to execute him when his wife threw him a gun, which allowed him to get the upper hand. Deadshot considered killing the all of them, but allowed them to escape for his daughter's sake.

She has since continued her mercenary work, recently clashing with the new Batwing, Luke Fox.

Characterization: Lady Vic sets herself apart from most other supervillains not just by her considerable skill, but by her ruthlessness and determination. She has been shown to be more than willing to kill small children for her paycheck, and once actually jumped out of a plane without a parachute to chase an escaping Black Canary.

Lady Vic has a number of family heirlooms that she considers her most prized possessions, including her weapons of choice, her Bundi Daggers, a Katana, a Thuggee strangling chord, a Maasai spear and a Webley Service Revolver.

Friends and Foes: When not on a job Lady Vic likes to rest easy in the company of her hulking manservant, Bivens, enjoying her drink of choice, Darjeeling tea. Her greatest rival is Nightwing.