Ken's Kache of Khracters (Druid, Pteetian, Samson, Girrigan)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Ken's Kache of Khracters (Druid, Pteetian, Samson, Girrigan)

Post by Jabroniville » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:32 am

Wow, another super-powerful guy with Lots And Lots of Powers. Growth, Healing, Create Object, TK and Flying Brick powers seems like a real grab-bag/superpower lottery thing.

This isn't the first Quebecois guy in your campaign world- is there a reason for them being somewhat common?

How come your online gaming thing didn't last? Just the nature of online gaming (ie. it starts quick and then peters out)?

Ken

Post by Ken » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:03 am

Jabroniville wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:32 am
Wow, another super-powerful guy with Lots And Lots of Powers. Growth, Healing, Create Object, TK and Flying Brick powers seems like a real grab-bag/superpower lottery thing.
Yeah. Paul created him for the Champions of Justice, my JLA or Avengers type game, and specifically the on-line game was going to be set in space, so, yeah, he was created to be very powerful.
Jabroniville wrote:
This isn't the first Quebecois guy in your campaign world- is there a reason for them being somewhat common?
So, it started in high school, when, I realised that there really was no reason for villains to stop at the Canadian/U.S. border, so I added some Canadian heroes to my homebrew universe (not the gaming world which came later.) One of them was la Chatte Noire, from Montreal. And, as I recounted back in 2016, la Chatte Noire became a big f---ing deal in my gaming group.

So, that's where it started. Neil brought her into his corner of the RCU and then moved her into mine. This made Quebec a recurring factor. And given how long things have gone on, it means we noticed when, in 1995, in the real world, there was a referendum about Quebec sovereignty that was like 50.6% against. That's damn close.

And then, when Neil started the Knights of Justice, he wanted it to be the super-team of Montreal (I was pushing for something more like 'the super-team of eastern Canada'.) This resulted in more characters with Canadian, and particularly Quebecois, characters. A few previously established characters even had Quebecois backgrounds grafted onto them, just because the players wanted to use the characters in that campaign.

And then there was Tim. Tim's father is a Canadian national, although he's lived in the U.S. for the past 50 years. Tim's older sister actually holds dual citizenship, having an American mother but being born in Canada. Tim, understandably, sometimes gets Canada on the brain. Which meant that when Tim got on a creative jag, and wanted to add a slew of NPC heroes, the RCU got even more Canadians.

And so it went, Longbow was Canadian. We absorbed a briefly run campaign set in Vancouver, giving us the Advocate and others.

Then there is a villain team in the RCU called the International Organisation to Gain World Power, or IOGWP. (In person we actually say /eye-ah-gwip/.) And, at one point, I started giving them some real thought. It occurred to me that while super-powered terrorists make fine villains, why would they keep using that method when it kept failing? So, I started a story where they started taking over places subtley. The story is still going on. And there is a powerful French mentalist on the team that has basically used her powers to become the most politically powerful person in France. But then there's the matter of bringing the matter where it was personal.

As I said, I noticed the barely failed referendum back in 1995. Why wouldn't the most powerful woman in France, who has her eye on global domination, not use her influence to push that kind of referendum over the tipping point, and give her power and influence in the "independent" sovereign nation of Quebec? And, making that serperation happen, makes the situation more personal for the Quebecois and Canadian PCs.

And, it gave me reason to introduce more Quebecois heroes, or add Quebecois backstories to characters who were backstory-less. Like Templar. He was introduced in 2002. Paul didn't give him much of a backstory. But it was only 15 months ago that I decided to make him Quebecois. Paul named him Wayne de Monterand. I was trying to figure out where a name like that would be likely. 'Wayne' sounds English; 'de Monterand' sounds French. Obviously, anywhere in North America north of the Rio Grande might work, but I knew which would tie him in best to my big picture story that's still going on.
Jabroniville wrote:
How come your online gaming thing didn't last? Just the nature of online gaming (ie. it starts quick and then peters out)?
Mostly. And because, as near as I can tell, the RCU and the CoJ can be fairly intimidating. A long established world with 100s of heroes, 100s of villains. The attrition rate in the on-line game was high.
Does a Winnie poo in the 100-acre wood?

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:53 am

Fascinating backstory, as always- thanks for the clarification :). So Quebec separated due to the influence of a Frenchwoman? Kind of fitting, though Quebec is often treated like uncultured hillbillies by France, which sees it as a "former colony". Though Charles de Gaulle is credited/blamed for the Quebec Separatist movement with his "Vive la France! Vive la Quebec!" speech.

Oddly, despite the referendum in the '90s, the Frontier de Liberation du Quebec (FLQ) hit its peak around the 1970s, and even murdered people. The October Crisis in 1970 was a big to-do, with Prime Minister Trudeau (the current PM's father) infamously declaring the War Measures Act (essentially, martial law) in Quebec, taunting a reporter with "just watch me", when asked how far he'd go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_Crisis

Lucien Bouchard, leader of the separatist Bloc Quebecois in the '90s, is the one who nearly got Quebec sovereignty. When the Conservative Party collapsed in the '90s, the PQs were actually the Official Opposition for one term! However, failing to get sovereignty damaged them, and then Conservative leader Jean Charest switched parties and ran as a Liberal in Quebec, winning the role of Premier (leader of a province)- this basically killed what was left of the movement.

Thinking about how different Canada would be today if the separatists had won is a fascinating thing, though. Most people are pretty sure that the Quebecois economy would be in tatters, and also probably make a mess of the Maritime provinces.