Ken's Kache of Khracters (Capitán Neutron)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Ken's Kache of Khracters (Goldar, Superman, RCU Heroes & Villains)

Post by Jabroniville » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:41 am

jcjec wrote:Just an FYI, Ken has lost internet connection until Saturday.
I was wondering what happened to that chucklehead.

Goldar

Post by Goldar » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:39 pm

I was Hoping he didn't get locked out of the system.

But yeah, the weather has been rough on many so far this year.

jcjec

Post by jcjec » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:30 am

To be honest, the company they use for internet service kinda sucks, going down on a semi-regular basis. While they were supposed to come out on Saturday, the Hallaron's had another commitment, so it had to be rescheduled. So, he's still down for the moment.
Jim C.

I know that into every life a little rain must fall,
but why do we have to live in the flood plains?

Ken

Post by Ken » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:59 pm

And it got rescheduled to yesterday, and though the guy never came to the house, I appear to be back.

Basically, Iin one of the towns that are pretty much the border between "Chicagoland" and "Downstate Illinois". And within that town, I live near the western edge. So, basically, the infrastructure here is more Downstate. And, as near as I can figure, rather than doing infrastructure upgrades as upgrades, they're doing them as repairs. So, they replaced the worn out bit of wire adjacent to the piece of wire from the last time this happened. And somewhere down the line, the next bit of wire will wear out, and then it will get replaced, and so on.
Zack Snyder in the 1940s: Hope vs Crosby, Road to Justice

jcjec

Post by jcjec » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:49 am

Now that you're back, you need to post Emerald Knight for the people to see. ;)
Jim C.

I know that into every life a little rain must fall,
but why do we have to live in the flood plains?

Ken

Emerald Knight

Post by Ken » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:36 pm

jcjec wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:49 am
Now that you're back, you need to post Emerald Knight for the people to see. ;)
Because you want me to tell the stories about are butting heads and me frustrating the crap out of you?

Emerald Knight - PL 11

Strength 8, Stamina 3, Agility 2, Dexterity 5, Fighting 2, Intellect 8, Awareness 4, Presence 1

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Assessment, Beginner's Luck, Connected, Equipment 5, Improved Critical 2: Force Blast: Damage 12, Improved Critical: Pulsed Blast, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative 8, Improved Smash, Interpose, Inventor, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged, Concealment), Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover), Seize Initiative, Teamwork, Well-informed

Skills
Athletics 1 (+9), Close Combat: Battlesuit 7 (+9), Deception 3 (+4), Expertise: Force Manip. 4 (+12), Expertise: Science 2 (+10), Insight 5 (+9), Intimidation 3 (+4), Investigation 1 (+9), Perception 2 (+6), Persuasion 3 (+4), Ranged Combat: Main Force Emitters 5 (+10), Technology 4 (+12), Treatment 1 (+9), Vehicles 1 (+6)

Powers
Battlesuit (Removable)
. . Enhanced Strength 7 (+7 STR)
. . . . Parallel Force Line Boost: Enhanced Strength 14 (Alternate; +14 STR; Limited to Lifting)
. . Immunity 7 (Environmental Conditions (All), Suffocation (All))
. . Protection 7 (+7 Toughness; Impervious)
Boot Force Emitters (Removable)
. . Flight 6 (Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round)
. . . . Flight 12 (Alternate; Speed: 8000 miles/hour, 16 miles/round; Distracting)
Force Field Generator (Removable)
. . Force Field: Enhanced Trait 9 (Traits: Dodge +3 (+8), Parry +3 (+8), Toughness +3 (+13))
. . Force Fist Wedge: Strength-based Damage 1 (DC 24; Accurate 2: +4)
Helmet (Removable)
. . Cybernetic Relays: Enhanced Trait 8 (Advantages: Improved Initiative 8; Limited: Only with main force emitters)
. . Immunity 5 (Sensory Affliction Effects; Limited: Vision Only, Limited - Half Effect)
. . Radio Communication 3
. . Senses 4 (Extended: Vision 1: x10, Low-light Vision, Radio, Ultravision)
Main Force Emitters (Removable)
. . Force Emitter Array
. . . . Big Blast: Damage 14 (DC 29; Increased Range: ranged; Inaccurate 2: -4)
. . . . Force Blast: Damage 12 (DC 27, Advantages: Improved Critical 2; Increased Range: ranged, Split: 2 targets)
. . . . Force Burst: Burst Area Damage 11 (DC 26; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 21)
. . . . Force Fields: Create 11 (Volume: 2000 cft., DC 21; Movable; Proportional)
. . . . Force Manipulation: Move Object 8 (6 tons, DC 23; Accurate 2: +4, Damaging)
. . . . Force Redirector: Deflect 9 (Redirection, Reflect)
. . . . Lasting Force Fields: Create 9 (Volume: 500 cft., DC 19; Increased Duration: continuous, Movable; Proportional)
. . . . Pulsed Force Blast: Damage 8 (DC 23, Advantages: Improved Critical; Accurate 2: +4, Increased Range: ranged, Multiattack)

Equipment
CoJ Honorary Communicator COJ-131 2, Defenders Depot 23

Offense
Initiative +34
Big Blast: Damage 14, +6 (DC 29)
Force Blast: Damage 12, +10 (DC 27)
Force Burst: Burst Area Damage 11 (DC 26)
Force Fist Wedge: Strength-based Damage 1, +13 (DC 24)
Force Manipulation: Move Object 8, +14 (DC 23)
Grab, +2 (DC Spec 18)
Pulsed Force Blast: Damage 8, +14 (DC 23)
Throw, +5 (DC 23)
Unarmed, +9 (DC 23)

Complications
Frustrated Engineer: He also feels the need to prove himself as a scientist/engineer, in spite of his achievements.
Pacifist: Tom dislikes the use of excessive violence.
Social Misfit: Tom often has difficulty fitting into "normal" society. Being mixed race, he's too black to be white and too white to be black. As such, he hates ALL forms of racism and bigotry.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 8/5, Parry 8/5, Fortitude 5, Toughness 13/10, Will 5

Power Points
Abilities 52 + Powers 94 + Advantages 21 + Skills 21 (42 ranks) + Defenses 9 = 197

Background
The circumstances that led to Tom Wilson developing the 'Emerald Knight' power armor, or the force projectors that the armor uses has never been revealed. What is known is that he and his single-mother mother lived in a poor neighbourhood in Washington DC for several years. It has recently been learned that he is the grandson of the World War II-era heroine Suffra-Jet. When Tom first wore the armor as Emerald Knight, he briefly became attached to the U.S. Marshals 'Parahuman Depuity Program'.

Then, when the DC Defenders expanded beyond their initial two members (after the villain called Hero's Death tried to create a national crisis of super hero killings) he joined the team. The ex-Crusader Fantastic Man, having led the Crusaders, had been recruited to lead the expanded team. In practice, though, Fantastic Man had become withdrawn and quiet; it is believed that he was still traumatised by the fate of his former teammates. On a practical level, Emerald Knight became the team leader in all but title.

This changed after Power Gate, and the reveal that Ronald Lexington AKA Mindmeld had, in fact been subtly manipulating the team he was sponsoring. Fantastic Man retired, and Emerald Knight became the proper leader of the DC Defenders, even as their exploits became less public.

In time, though, entropy affected the small team. Derby Queen and Fantastic Girl/Woman both left and joined the American Rangers. Torpedo, whom Tom had recruited after he became leader, entered semi-retirement. And despite Tom's romantic relationship with Dynamo, she seemed to be gone from Washington more often than not. The DC Defenders were essentially defunct.

Then came the attack of the so-called Tesla Twins. Emerald Knight and Dynamo, as well as Super Patriot, Ferroman, and Derby Queen of the American Rangers, all arrived to stop them. Ferroman and Derby Queen were killed, and Super Patriot and Emerald Knight were both injured. Dynamo was left unscathed, other than being rendered powerless.

Dynamo, in her civilian identity, is now funding the Allied Defenders; the team she assembled to defeat the Tesla Twins. Emerald Knight, however, is benched, as his armor is in severe need of repair, and Tom is busy, convalescing from his injuries, and learning to walk with a prosthetic leg.

Real World Stuff
Emerald Knight had been one of those characters one builds as thought-experiments. He had been loosely based on an Iron Man foe called "Force". So, he was in my "Unused Character" folder when Doug began his brief "U.S. Marshals" game. I used him in that, once. But I got to like him.

Then when Jim began to repurpose the DC Defenders (initially, the DC Defenders had been two characters he and his sister played when Neil was desperate for a gaming fix and no one but Jenn was around), Emerald Knight was an obvious choice for me to use. And Jim asked Andy to play Fantastic Man, wanting a team leader type. And, Andy's level of play was, honestly well below his average. This was also Jim's earliest attempts at running in the shared RC Universe, and he and I were butting heads. A lot.

I also frustrated Jim immensely another way. I quickly developed a very defensive fighting style with Tom. Neil and Andy and whomever else was playing (maybe Jenn, or Doug, or Karen) tended to fight very offensively. And I just had Emerald Knight, who tended to go first each round, stand around and use the Ranged element of his Deflect power (or Missile Deflection, as it is called in 'Champions') to protect himself, and his teammates. Over the course of several sessions, I think Tom threw exactly one punch. He'd also do similar things with his Force Bubbles to keep enemies off balance.

Eventually, the head-butting with me got to Jim, and the campaign ended. But it took nearly two decades before we finally let the team properly disband. And the act of disbanding them, ultimately, inspired me to start-up a new Washington DC based game. That, and I wanted to see if I could actually run a "small team" campaign. The jury's still out. I ran it twice last year. That's it. I've been asked to run it again in a month or so. We'll see.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:30 pm

I think "Deflect" is one of those powers that always annoy GMs, because they reduce the effects of damage across the battlefield. Ares told me about how his Deflect-O-Rama Kung Fu guy was a constant source of annoyance to Crinos during a game he played- because the dude could counter any direct attack, Crinos apparently spent a ton of time complaining about how "unbalanced" he was, and how "annoying" he was to fight. There were, of course, ways around that (Area Attacks, etc.), but the fact that there was this guy who was so hard to fit was apparently a major issue with the GM.

Ken

Milf Muscles (FKA Miss Muscles)

Post by Ken » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:10 am

Jabroniville wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:48 pm
The important question here is "So where is Miss Muscles?" if you're referencing her twice. WHERE IS A BUILD (with a picture) OF MISS MUSCLES, KEN?!?!
Milf Muscles - PL 11 (today)

Strength 14, Stamina 14, Agility 2, Dexterity 0, Fighting 5, Intellect 0, Awareness 3, Presence 2

Advantages
Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Attractive, Beginner's Luck, Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Equipment 2, Fascinate (Intimidation), Great Endurance, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative 2, Interpose, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Taunt

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+4), Close Combat: Discipline Tools 1 (+6), Close Combat: Grab 3 (+8), Close Combat: Unarmed 3 (+8), Close Combat: Whip 2 (+7), Deception 6 (+8), Insight 1 (+4), Intimidation 10 (+12), Perception 1 (+4), Persuasion 1 (+3), Sleight of Hand 3 (+3), Stealth 2 (+3), Technology 1 (+1), Treatment 4 (+4)

Powers
Athleticism Array
Jumping: Leaping 7 (Leap 900 feet at 250 miles/hour)
Running: Speed 7 (Speed: 250 miles/hour, 0.5 miles/round)
Fast Healer: Regeneration 2 (Every 5 rounds)
Mighty Muscle Array
Fighting Muscles: Enhanced Strength 3 (+3 STR)
Lifting Muscles: Enhanced Strength 6 (+6 STR; Limited to Lifting)
She's Grown: Growth 1 (+1 STR, +1 STA, -1 Stealth, -1 active defenses, +1 mass rank; Innate; Permanent)
Tough: Immunity 12 (Aging, Life Support, Sleep; Limited - Half Effect)

Equipment
Weapon Pool (Mace, Paddle, Whip)

Offense
Initiative +10
Grab, +8 (DC Spec 24)
Mace, +5 (DC 32)
Paddle, +6 (DC 31)
Throw, +0 (DC 29)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 29)
Whip, +8 (DC 29)

Complications
Motivation: Domination
Motivation: Greed
Police Record: Miss Muscles (now Milf Muscles) is once again wanted by local and federal law enforcement agencies.
Quirk: Vain

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 14, Toughness 14, Will 7

Power Points
Abilities 70 + Powers 26 + Advantages 19 + Skills 20 (40 ranks) + Defenses 15 = 150

She's gained height and mass as she's aged. And though she looks decades younger than her actual age, she no longer looks like a "miss". Having grown into her looks, she's chosen to replace the "Miss" in her codename with "Milf".

Miss Muscles - PL 10 (then)

Strength 13, Stamina 13, Agility 2, Dexterity 0, Fighting 4, Intellect 0, Awareness 3, Presence 2

Advantages
Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Beginner's Luck, Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Equipment 2, Fascinate (Intimidation), Great Endurance, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative 2, Interpose, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Taunt

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+4), Close Combat: Discipline Tools 1 (+5), Close Combat: Grab 3 (+7), Close Combat: Unarmed 3 (+7), Deception 6 (+8), Insight 1 (+4), Intimidation 10 (+12), Perception 1 (+4), Persuasion 1 (+3), Sleight of Hand 3 (+3), Stealth 2 (+4), Technology 1 (+1), Treatment 4 (+4)

Powers
Athleticism Array
Jumping: Leaping 7 (Leap 900 feet at 250 miles/hour)
Running: Speed 7 (Speed: 250 miles/hour, 0.5 miles/round)
Fast Healer: Regeneration 2 (Every 5 rounds)
Mighty Muscle Array
Fighting Muscles: Enhanced Strength 3 (+3 STR)
Lifting Muscles: Enhanced Strength 6 (+6 STR; Limited to Lifting)
Tough: Immunity 12 (Aging, Life Support, Sleep; Limited - Half Effect)

Equipment
Weapon Pool (Mace, Paddle, Whip)

Offense
Initiative +10
Grab, +7 (DC Spec 23)
Mace, +4 (DC 31)
Paddle, +5 (DC 30)
Throw, +0 (DC 28)
Unarmed, +7 (DC 28)
Whip, +5 (DC 28)

Complications
Motivation: Domination
Motivation: Greed
Police Record: Miss Muscles was wanted by local and federal law enforcement agencies.
Quirk: Bad Romantic Choices
Quirk: Vain

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 7, Parry 7, Fortitude 13, Toughness 13, Will 7

Power Points
Abilities 68 + Powers 23 + Advantages 18 + Skills 19 (38 ranks) + Defenses 12 = 140

Miss Muscles and her partner, Deflector, were active super villains during what has become known as the "silver age" of parahuman activity. The duo started their careers as solo operatives, but teamed up quickly after meeting, both on the streets and in the bedroom. After their first jailbreak, they got married. With frequent trips to prison, both of the kids they produced were taken and put up for adoption. After several years, however, the blush wore off of their relationship and things quickly started going south. Divorce was filed when Deflector caught his wife cheating on him, and the two sourly went their seperate ways.

Rumor has it that the two resurfaced a couple of years ago during the Commodore's Tournament on Omega Island. The two were put against each other, with Miss Muscles reportingly killing her former husband in combat. Other reports said that she was also killed, but new rumors say that she may have survived and has come out of retirement.

(Picture is still pending)
Last edited by Ken on Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ken

Deflector

Post by Ken » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:10 am

Deflector - PL 10

Strength 3, Stamina 4, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 3, Intellect 2, Awareness 3, Presence 2

Advantages
Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Assessment, Attractive, Contacts, Defensive Attack, Improved Aim, Improved Smash, Interpose, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Teamwork

Skills
Acrobatics 1 (+3), Athletics 2 (+5), Close Combat: Unarmed 1 (+4), Deception 8 (+10), Expertise: Underworld 6 (+8), Insight 1 (+4), Intimidation 2 (+4), Investigation 1 (+3), Perception 2 (+5), Persuasion 6 (+8), Ranged Combat: Force Beams 3 (+5), Sleight of Hand 5 (+7), Stealth 5 (+7), Technology 2 (+4)

Powers
Force Emissions Array
Force Beams: Damage 11 (DC 26; Accurate 2: +4, Increased Range: ranged)
Force Defelction: Deflect 10
Force Wall: Create 8 (Volume: 250 cft., DC 18; Movable)
Force Field
Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 10 (Traits: Dodge +5 (+10), Parry +5 (+10); Linked: Protection: Protection 6)
Protection: Protection 6 (+6 Toughness; Impervious [4 extra ranks], Sustained)
Force Flight: Flight 7 (Speed: 250 miles/hour, 0.5 miles/round; Platform)

Offense
Initiative +2
Force Beams: Damage 11, +9 (DC 26)
Grab, +3 (DC Spec 13)
Throw, +2 (DC 18)
Unarmed, +4 (DC 18)

Complications
Police Record: Deflector was wanted by local and federal law enforcement agencies.
Quirk: Masochist
Vulnerability: Sonic and magnetic attacks get a +5 Damage.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 10/5, Parry 10/5, Fortitude 6, Toughness 10, Will 10

Power Points
Abilities 42 + Powers 59 + Advantages 12 + Skills 23 (45 ranks) + Defenses 14 = 150

Ken

Alpha Dog

Post by Ken » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:23 am

Alpha Dog - PL 10

Strength 0, Stamina 1, Agility 2, Dexterity -2, Fighting 4, Intellect 8, Awareness 8, Presence 2

Advantages
Attractive, Equipment 1, Improved Critical: TK Slam, Improved Defense, Languages 2, Move-by Action, Ranged Attack 7, Speed of Thought, Taunt, Well-informed

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+4), Athletics 2 (+2), Deception 3 (+5), Expertise: Science 2 (+10), Insight 2 (+10), Intimidation 5 (+3), Investigation 2 (+10), Perception 1 (+13/+9), Persuasion 3 (+5), Ranged Combat: Telekinisis 3 (+1), Technology 4 (+12), Treatment 1 (+9)

Powers
Bite: Strength-based Damage 1 (DC 16)
Cairn Disguise: Feature 1 (Notes: Can disguise himself as a Cairn Terrier)
Canine Senses
Enhanced Trait 2 (Traits: Perception +4 (+13))
Senses 4 (Acute: Smell, Low-light Vision, Tracking: Smell 1: -1 speed rank, Ultra-hearing)
Cute Little Puppy: Shrinking 8 (-2 STR, -4 Intimidate, +8 Stealth, +4 active defenses, -2 size ranks, -1 speed ranks; Custom: Reverse Sustained, Innate)
Big Dog
Enhanced Trait 11 (Traits: Fighting +5 (+9), Parry -4 (+4), Toughness +2 (+14), Strength +2 (+2), Fortitude -2 (+3), Dodge +1 (+9))
Growth 2 (+2 STR, +2 STA, +1 Intimidate, -2 Stealth, -1 active defenses, +2 mass ranks)
Marking: Feature 1
Movement Array
Normal Running Speed: Speed 3 (Speed: 16 miles/hour, 250 feet/round)
Super-Sonic Dog: Flight 9 (Speed: 1000 miles/hour, 2 miles/round; Concentration)
Telekinetic Lift: Flight 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round; Subtle: subtle)
Psionic Effects
BARK!!!: Mental Blast 7 (DC 22)
Crushing Telekinisis: Move Object 8 (6 tons, DC 23; Accurate 2: +4, Damaging, Subtle: subtle)
Psionic Whatever: Variable 3 (Action 2: free; Limited: to Telepathic and Telekinetic effects)
RARF!!: Perception Area Damage 7 (DC 22; Alternate Resistance: Will, Perception Area: DC 17 - visual, Selective)
Telekinetic Slam: Blast 12 (DC 27, Advantages: Improved Critical; Subtle: subtle)
Telekinetic Walls: Create 10 (Volume: 1000 cft., DC 20; Movable, Stationary, Subtle 2: invisible; Proportional [5 ranks only])
Telekinisis: Move Object 12 (100 tons; Subtle: subtle)
Telepathy
Mental Communication 2
Mind Reading 10 (DC 20)
So, what are dog years?: Immunity 1 (Aging)
Telekinetic Shield: Protection 11 (+11 Toughness; Sustained)

Power Settings
Loud BARK! (Powers: Mental Blast: Perception Area Damage 5)
Telekinetic Strength Boost (Powers: Power-Lifting: Enhanced Strength 11)

Equipment
Communicator Collar 1

Offense
Initiative +8
BARK!!!: Mental Blast 7 (DC Will 22)
Bite: Strength-based Damage 1, +4 (DC 16)
Crushing Telekinisis: Move Object 8, +12 (DC 23)
Grab, +4 (DC Spec 10)
Mental Blast: Perception Area Damage 5 (DC Will 20)
Mind Reading 10 (DC Will 20)
RARF!!: Perception Area Damage 7 (DC Will 22)
Telekinetic Slam: Blast 12, +8 (DC 27)
Telekinisis: Move Object 12, +8 (DC 22)
Throw, +5 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +4 (DC 15)

Complications
Beware of dog!: Do not violate Linus's territory.
Good Dog: Linus has a very strong sense of morality and feels that the time has come to help Dog's Best Friend.
Grudge: Bob Barker! Gee thanks! No one asked me if I wanted to be neutered.
He's a dog!: Linus has to make a Will check at -5 to avoid chasing squirrels, thrown sticks etc. whenever someone calls out "squirrel" or "fetch". Similarly, Persuasion and Deception checks against Linus get +5 if they accompany food or belly scratching.
Prejudice: Linus is a dog. There are several social ramifications to this, not the least of which is buildings not letting him in.
Quirk: Linus misses Professor and Mama Newman, and his most preciously guarded posession is the faded aqua-coloured blanket that was his baby-blanket/kennel liner.

Languages
Dog, English, Spanish

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 5, Toughness 12, Will 15

Power Points
Abilities 50 + Powers 85 + Advantages 16 + Skills 15 (30 ranks) + Defenses 13 = 179

Background Roy Newman was a retired Nasa scientist who had worked on the Apollo program. When he retired, he, his wife Eunice, and their pet west-higthland white terrier, Linus; moved from Cocoa Beach to the calmer Gulf side of Florida. Linus was among the animals affected by the the Omnisphere after it was unearthed a few years ago. Linus kept his heightened intelligence and powers a secret and continued his responsibility taking care of the Newmans until, recently, when they went the way of all beings.

No longer content to learn from the Newmans' books or the magic box (which he now knows is called 'television'), Linus has decided to see the world and use his super-canine powers to help Dog's Best Friend.

Real World Stuff After the problems that plagued Zero Man in Neil's San Francisco game, he and I made a a concerted effort to find a character idea that actually would fit what Neil wanted to do as a gamemaster in a 'super hero' game. The result was a super-powered, talking dog.

Neil likes weird shit.

Thankfully, my family has had dogs most of my life. And several of them have been West Highland Terriers. Neil's family, conversely, never had dogs, so the dogs Neil has known best, over the years, are likely my family's as well. It was Neil who suggested that Linus be a Westie. And since West Highland Terriers are a Scottish breed, I ended up playing Linus with my attempt at a Scottish accent, which is also my sorry attempt at a Sean Connery impression.

Ken

Post by Ken » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:39 am

The thing about playing Alpha Dog that made it challenging is trying to play him like a talking dog, not a dog with a human brain. This has meant things like having him actually be a layabout when not on a case, and having him react positively to having his belly rubbed.

But one of my favourite moments, in keeping to this, was when... well, there was a member of the team who was more member than teammate who, for a bizarre set of reasons, was generally oblivious to the consequences of his actions. And on one particular adventure, his car materialised from his home dimension inside a mall. And, so, rather than exiting the car, he decided to drive to where the problem was. The only reason why he wasn't killing mall patrons was because his pixie sidekick (Neil likes weird shit), was magiking people out of the way.

Well, besides me, as a player, being tired of the "damn the consequences, I'll do what's funny" approach of that character/player, I decided on a course of action for Alpha Dog that was a) in character and b) damn the consequences, he did what I thought was funny.

The nutbag teammate (Harry) had stopped at a Subway sandwich shop to get a sandwich. I'm playing a super-powered dog, who was unhappy with his teammate's disregard for people. He did one of the things that dog's do to indicate displeasure, all over Harry's sandwich. The addition of... a warm, salty condiment... didn't go over well. It very nearly turned into a hero-vs-hero brawl, and would have if Jim's character, Enigma, hadn't intervened.

Which is a good thing, since Linus might have gone for Harry's throat.

Of course, it's nasty, and I can honestly say I never thought I'd ever play a character who would use urine as a tool. But, I've had dogs most of my life. And, when they're unhappy, they pee where they know thay oughtn't.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:22 pm

The Alpha Dog/Harry scrap sounds frighteningly like the situation in my only Heroes Unlimited game, with another of those "you're all expected to just go along with my bizarre flights of fancy / mission disrupting antics" characters. What IS IT with those types and hostile overreacting to not being indulged?

Ken

Post by Ken » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:28 am

Jabroniville wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:22 pm
The Alpha Dog/Harry scrap sounds frighteningly like the situation in my only Heroes Unlimited game, with another of those "you're all expected to just go along with my bizarre flights of fancy / mission disrupting antics" characters. What IS IT with those types and hostile overreacting to not being indulged?
I wish I knew. 35 years I've known the guy, and I really wish I knew.

This past Saturday, Harry's player (Andy) and I were at a going away party for a mutual non-gaming friend. And I know the guy through Andy. Andy got there a few minutes before I did (I passed him while parking). He left TWO bloody hours before I did. And since its conceivable we may never see the guy who is leaving again (he's going to hike the Appalachian Trail and then move to Thailand), it struck me as a really early time to be leaving.

Hoid

Re: Alpha Dog

Post by Hoid » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:30 am

Ken wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:23 am

Alpha Dog - PL 10

Strength 0, Stamina 1, Agility 2, Dexterity -2, Fighting 4, Intellect 8, Awareness 8, Presence 2

Advantages
Attractive, Equipment 1, Improved Critical: TK Slam, Improved Defense, Languages 2, Move-by Action, Ranged Attack 7, Speed of Thought, Taunt, Well-informed

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+4), Athletics 2 (+2), Deception 3 (+5), Expertise: Science 2 (+10), Insight 2 (+10), Intimidation 5 (+3), Investigation 2 (+10), Perception 1 (+13/+9), Persuasion 3 (+5), Ranged Combat: Telekinisis 3 (+1), Technology 4 (+12), Treatment 1 (+9)

Powers
Bite: Strength-based Damage 1 (DC 16)
Cairn Disguise: Feature 1 (Notes: Can disguise himself as a Cairn Terrier)
Canine Senses
Enhanced Trait 2 (Traits: Perception +4 (+13))
Senses 4 (Acute: Smell, Low-light Vision, Tracking: Smell 1: -1 speed rank, Ultra-hearing)
Cute Little Puppy: Shrinking 8 (-2 STR, -4 Intimidate, +8 Stealth, +4 active defenses, -2 size ranks, -1 speed ranks; Custom: Reverse Sustained, Innate)
Big Dog
Enhanced Trait 11 (Traits: Fighting +5 (+9), Parry -4 (+4), Toughness +2 (+14), Strength +2 (+2), Fortitude -2 (+3), Dodge +1 (+9))
Growth 2 (+2 STR, +2 STA, +1 Intimidate, -2 Stealth, -1 active defenses, +2 mass ranks)
Marking: Feature 1
Movement Array
Normal Running Speed: Speed 3 (Speed: 16 miles/hour, 250 feet/round)
Super-Sonic Dog: Flight 9 (Speed: 1000 miles/hour, 2 miles/round; Concentration)
Telekinetic Lift: Flight 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round; Subtle: subtle)
Psionic Effects
BARK!!!: Mental Blast 7 (DC 22)
Crushing Telekinisis: Move Object 8 (6 tons, DC 23; Accurate 2: +4, Damaging, Subtle: subtle)
Psionic Whatever: Variable 3 (Action 2: free; Limited: to Telepathic and Telekinetic effects)
RARF!!: Perception Area Damage 7 (DC 22; Alternate Resistance: Will, Perception Area: DC 17 - visual, Selective)
Telekinetic Slam: Blast 12 (DC 27, Advantages: Improved Critical; Subtle: subtle)
Telekinetic Walls: Create 10 (Volume: 1000 cft., DC 20; Movable, Stationary, Subtle 2: invisible; Proportional [5 ranks only])
Telekinisis: Move Object 12 (100 tons; Subtle: subtle)
Telepathy
Mental Communication 2
Mind Reading 10 (DC 20)
So, what are dog years?: Immunity 1 (Aging)
Telekinetic Shield: Protection 11 (+11 Toughness; Sustained)

Power Settings
Loud BARK! (Powers: Mental Blast: Perception Area Damage 5)
Telekinetic Strength Boost (Powers: Power-Lifting: Enhanced Strength 11)

Equipment
Communicator Collar 1

Offense
Initiative +8
BARK!!!: Mental Blast 7 (DC Will 22)
Bite: Strength-based Damage 1, +4 (DC 16)
Crushing Telekinisis: Move Object 8, +12 (DC 23)
Grab, +4 (DC Spec 10)
Mental Blast: Perception Area Damage 5 (DC Will 20)
Mind Reading 10 (DC Will 20)
RARF!!: Perception Area Damage 7 (DC Will 22)
Telekinetic Slam: Blast 12, +8 (DC 27)
Telekinisis: Move Object 12, +8 (DC 22)
Throw, +5 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +4 (DC 15)

Complications
Beware of dog!: Do not violate Linus's territory.
Good Dog: Linus has a very strong sense of morality and feels that the time has come to help Dog's Best Friend.
Grudge: Bob Barker! Gee thanks! No one asked me if I wanted to be neutered.
He's a dog!: Linus has to make a Will check at -5 to avoid chasing squirrels, thrown sticks etc. whenever someone calls out "squirrel" or "fetch". Similarly, Persuasion and Deception checks against Linus get +5 if they accompany food or belly scratching.
Prejudice: Linus is a dog. There are several social ramifications to this, not the least of which is buildings not letting him in.
Quirk: Linus misses Professor and Mama Newman, and his most preciously guarded posession is the faded aqua-coloured blanket that was his baby-blanket/kennel liner.

Languages
Dog, English, Spanish

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 5, Toughness 12, Will 15

Power Points
Abilities 50 + Powers 85 + Advantages 16 + Skills 15 (30 ranks) + Defenses 13 = 179

Background Roy Newman was a retired Nasa scientist who had worked on the Apollo program. When he retired, he, his wife Eunice, and their pet west-higthland white terrier, Linus; moved from Cocoa Beach to the calmer Gulf side of Florida. Linus was among the animals affected by the the Omnisphere after it was unearthed a few years ago. Linus kept his heightened intelligence and powers a secret and continued his responsibility taking care of the Newmans until, recently, when they went the way of all beings.

No longer content to learn from the Newmans' books or the magic box (which he now knows is called 'television'), Linus has decided to see the world and use his super-canine powers to help Dog's Best Friend.

Real World Stuff After the problems that plagued Zero Man in Neil's San Francisco game, he and I made a a concerted effort to find a character idea that actually would fit what Neil wanted to do as a gamemaster in a 'super hero' game. The result was a super-powered, talking dog.

Neil likes weird shit.

Thankfully, my family has had dogs most of my life. And several of them have been West Highland Terriers. Neil's family, conversely, never had dogs, so the dogs Neil has known best, over the years, are likely my family's as well. It was Neil who suggested that Linus be a Westie. And since West Highland Terriers are a Scottish breed, I ended up playing Linus with my attempt at a Scottish accent, which is also my sorry attempt at a Sean Connery impression.
He fights crime...with cuteness!

Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:22 am

Jabroniville wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:30 pm
I think "Deflect" is one of those powers that always annoy GMs, because they reduce the effects of damage across the battlefield. Ares told me about how his Deflect-O-Rama Kung Fu guy was a constant source of annoyance to Crinos during a game he played- because the dude could counter any direct attack, Crinos apparently spent a ton of time complaining about how "unbalanced" he was, and how "annoying" he was to fight. There were, of course, ways around that (Area Attacks, etc.), but the fact that there was this guy who was so hard to fit was apparently a major issue with the GM.
Wow, I had totally been reading Deflect wrong. After re-doing so, 1) I need to update some builds and 2) I can TOTALLY see someone breaking a game with that. Feels like some Perception range Stamina Drain would be a'comin' in short order if I was GM-ing. :evil: