Ken's Kache of Khracters (Aliotta Haynes and Jeremiah)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ken

Ken's Kache of Khracters (Aliotta Haynes and Jeremiah)

Post by Ken » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:49 pm

Okay, so I only had my build thread going for a week and a half or so. I also got enough positive feedback that I told a few folks I'd restart it when I got a chance, so here we go.
Last edited by Ken on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:46 am, edited 16 times in total.
Zack Snyder in the 1940s: Hope vs Crosby, Road to Justice

Ken

Index File

Post by Ken » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:50 pm

Real World Roll Call

Write-Ups of Characters from Other Media
Apache Chief
Black Vulcan
Captain Marvel
El Dorado
Goldar the Space Avenger
Hyperion
Samurai
Superman

Ken's Player Characters
Alpha Dog
Balatar
Capitán Neutron
Captain Miracle
Captain Malachi Lee Able
Emerald Knight
Ham Mulligan (of the White Knights)
Ham Mulligan AKA Mister Victory
Jack of Diamonds
Jeremiah Haynes
Mister Might
Neon
Neutron Man
Sentinel
White Mask (Lyle Mendoro)
Zero Man

CHAMPIONS OF JUSTICE (PC and NPC Heroes from Ken's campaign)
Ampere
Backlash
Banshee
Charcoal
la Chatte Noire III
Colonel Victory
Count Zero
Doctor Technon and Lady Technon
Dragon
Fireforce
Graviton
Guardian and Shrike
Longbow
la Lyonne Noire
Major Marvel, Commander Quantum, and Unity
Megaman
Micron
Morning Star
Ms. Scarlet
Osprey and Harrier
Powerball
Prophecy
Riptide
The Scarecrow
Spectrum
Shockwave
Starlord (Stellar Lad)
Taran
Turbo
Wheel of Fortune and Roulette
Whirlwind

Honorary CHAMPIONS OF JUSTICE (minor PC and NPC Heroes from Ken's campaign)
Chorus Girl
Messenger II
Sirius, the Dog Star
War Eagle

Heroes of the RCU (PC or NPC Heroes that aren't Ken's Player Characters and aren't in the C.O.J.)
The Advocate
Captain Canada
Fantasia
Fenian
la Panthère Noire
Messenger I
Quadtron
White Mask (Kyle Russell)

Antiheroes of the RCU
Capitaine Québec
Marathon
Nimrod the Hunter and Asshur
Tritan and Aquaticus
Xam Xian, the Olympian

Villains from the RCU
Aliotta Haynes
Formori
Hardbody
Kristoffer, Son of Mordred
Manifest Density and In-Forcer
Miss Muscles and Deflector
Primate Change
The Streak
The Thunder Twins
Last edited by Ken on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:45 am, edited 56 times in total.

Spectrum

Re: Ken's Kache of Khracters

Post by Spectrum » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:53 pm

Is there any chance of getting to play in this really cool environment sometime?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.

Ken

Captain Marvel

Post by Ken » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:56 pm

Yes, it's a repeat, but since Ares has set up these nice new digs, there's really only one way to start this thread.

ImageImage

Captain Marvel - PL 14

Strength 10/0, Stamina 14/1, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 7/3, Intellect 2, Awareness 10/3, Presence 3

Advantages
Assessment, Beginner's Luck, Eidetic Memory, Great Endurance, Interpose, Jack-of-all-trades, Move-by Action

Skills
Close Combat: Unarmed 3 (+10), Expertise: Radio Host 6 (+8), Insight 2 (+12), Perception 3 (+13)

Powers
1) Wisdom of Solomon (Advantages: Assessment, Beginner's Luck, Eidetic Memory, Jack-of-all-trades)
. . Comprehend: Comprehend 3 (Languages - Read All, Languages - Speak All, Languages - Understand All)
. . Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 14 (Traits: Awareness +7 (+10))
2) Strength of Hercules: Enhanced Strength 14 (+14 STR; Limited to Lifting [7 ranks only])
2) Strength of Hercules: Enhanced Strength 8 ([0 active, 16/16 PP, 2/r], +8 STR)
. . Augmented Lifting: Enhanced Strength 16 (Alternate; [16 active, 16/16 PP, 1/r], +16 STR; Limited to Lifting)
3) Stamina of Atlas
. . Enhanced Ability: Enhanced Stamina 11 (+11 STA)
. . Immunity: Immunity 10 (Life Support)
. . Protection: Protection 5 (+5 Toughness; Impervious)
4) Power of Zeus
. . Aged to Adulthood: Enhanced Trait 10 (Traits: Strength +3 (+10), Stamina +2 (+14))
. . Bringing the Thunder
. . . . SHAZAM!: Damage 21 (Alternate; DC 36; Activation: move action, Side Effect: on failure - Becomes Billy again)
. . Invulnerability: Impervious Toughness 14
. . Variable: Variable 1 (Action 2: free; Quirk: Must fit one of the Elders)
5) Courage of Achilles
. . Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 16 (Traits: Fighting +4 (+7), Dodge +4 (+9), Will +4 (+14))
. . Impervious Defense: Impervious Will 10
6) Speed of Mercury
. . Access the Rock of Eternity: Movement 9 (Dimensional 3: any dimension, 50 lbs., Space Travel 3: other galaxies, Time Travel 3: any time, 50 lbs.)
. . Basic Flight: Flight 10 (Speed: 2000 miles/hour, 4 miles/round)
. . Faster Flight: Flight 20 (Speed: 2 million miles/hour, 4000 miles/round; Distracting)
. . Groundspeed
. . . . Quickness: Quickness 10 (Perform routine tasks in -10 time ranks)
. . . . Speed: Speed 10 (Speed: 2000 miles/hour, 4 miles/round)

Offense
Initiative +2
Grab, +7 (DC Spec 20)
SHAZAM!: Damage 21, +7 (DC 36)
Throw, +2 (DC 25)
Unarmed, +10 (DC 25)

Complications
Editorial Interference: DC is wishy-washy as to how powerful the Marvel Family should be, either indivually or together. As such, sometimes the Captain may be operating 1 or 2 PLs below his norm.
Enemies: Dr. Thaddeus Sivana, King Kull, Dan Didio, Mr. Mind
Identity: Billy Batson. In his normal identity, Billy has Str 0, Sta 1, Ftg 2, and Awe 3 with corresponding adjustments to his skill ranks and defenses.
Power Loss: No powers as Billy Batson. Captain Marvel can lose his powers if tricked into saying his magic word.
Young: Captain Marvel is really just a kid at heart, and sometimes makes foolish or impulsive choices.

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 9/5, Parry 9, Fortitude 14, Toughness 19, Will 14/10

Power Points
Abilities 32 + Powers 188 + Advantages 3 + Skills 7 (14 ranks) + Defenses 5 = 235

Personal Details
Billy Batson, orphan, is granted the powers of the six Elders by a 5000 year old Wizard, and becomes the World's Mightiest Mortal. If you need to know more, ask Ares.

Real Life Stuff
Not much to say. The Captain's been one of my favourites since a wee lad. The page with the origin, shown above, was the one page of Captain Marvel reprinted in Jules Feiffer's The Great Comic Book Heroes and was the first place I encountered him.

L-Space

Post by L-Space » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:52 am

Know I commented on the last thread, but it bears repeating: very nice build Ken! It's a fitting first post too, since we have Ares to thank for the new boards.
Formerly luketheduke86

Ken

Morning Star

Post by Ken » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:45 am

ImageImage
ImageImage

Morning Star - PL 14

Strength 15/18, Stamina 15, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 8, Intellect 7, Awareness 6, Presence 5

Advantages
Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Assessment, Benefit, Wealth 2 (indepently wealthy), Benefit: Champions of Justice member, Close Attack 2, Connected, Contacts, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Equipment 2, Extraordinary Effort, Favored Environment: bright, directly lit areas, Improved Critical 2: 2-hand Blast, Improved Critical 4: Narrow Eye Beams: Blast 18, Improved Defense, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Smash, Inspire 4, Instant Up, Interpose, Jack-of-all-trades, Languages 4, Leadership, Lionheart, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Second Chance: Solar Effects, Seize Initiative, Skill Mastery: Close Combat, Takedown, Taunt, Teamwork, Ultimate Effort: Toughness, Well-informed, Withstand Damage

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+4), Deception 2 (+7), Expertise: Finance 3 (+10), Expertise: Parahuman Community 3 (+10), Expertise: Science 1 (+8), Insight 4 (+10), Intimidation 5 (+10), Perception 4 (+10), Persuasion 5 (+10), Technology 1 (+8)

Powers
Defying Gravity: Flight 2+9 ([Stacking ranks: +9], Speed: 4000 miles/hour, 8 miles/round)
. . Space Flight: Movement 2 (Alternate; Space Travel 2: other solar systems)
Fast Flight: Flight 9 (Speed: 1000 miles/hour, 2 miles/round; Stacks with: Defying Gravity: Flight 2+9)
. . Faster Flight: Flight 17 (Alternate; Speed: 250000 miles/hour, 500 miles/round; Stacks with: Defying Gravity: Flight 2+9; Distracting)
Gravity Manipulation
. . Enhanced Strength 7 (+7 STR; Limited to Lifting)
. . Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation: Zero G)
Additional Strength: Enhanced Strength 3 (+3 STR)
. . Increased Lift: Enhanced Strength 3 (Alternate; +3 STR, Advantages: Close Attack 3; Limited to Lifting)
Energy Manipulation
. . 2-hand Blast: Damage 20 (DC 35, Advantages: Improved Critical 2; Accurate 2: +4, Increased Range: ranged, Split: 2 targets)
. . Narrow Eye Beams: Blast 18 (DC 33, Advantages: Improved Critical 4; Accurate 3: +6, Precise)
. . Wide Eye Beams: Cone Area Damage 14 (DC 29; Cone Area 2: 120 feet cone, DC 24)
. . Darting Eye Beams: Cone Area Damage 14 (DC 29; Cone Area: 60 feet cone, DC 24, Selective)
. . Manual Blast: Line Area Damage 14 (DC 29; Line Area 2: 5 feet wide by 60 feet long, DC 24)
. . Morning Star
. . . . Heat: Burst Area Damage 10 (Linked; DC 25; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 20, Increased Duration: concentration)
. . . . Light: Perception Area Dazzle 5 (Linked; Affects Sense: Sight, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 15; Perception Area: DC 15 - Light, Increased Duration: concentration; Quirk: None really, Reduced Range: close)
. . Varied Energy Tricks: Variable 5 (Action 2: free; Limited: Hmm?)
Enhanced Vision: Senses 2 (Low-light Vision, Ultravision)
Hair Length Manipulation: Feature 1
Invulnerability
. . Immunity 13 (Custom: all other Fortitude Effects 13; Limited - Half Effect)
. . Immunity 14 (Aging, Critical Hits, Life Support, Sleep)
. . Immunity 5 (Sensory Affliction Effects; Limited: Visual Only)
. . Protection 4 (+4 Toughness; Impervious [13 extra ranks])
. . Regeneration 1 (Every 10 rounds)
Seeing Background Radiation: Senses 4 (Penetrates Concealment: Vision; Limited: No detail or colour, just general shapes)
Training with T'zianthra: Enhanced Trait 4 (Traits: Will +4 (+13))
Unpulled Punch: Strength-based Damage 2 (DC 35; Inaccurate: -2)
. . Finger Flick (Alternate; Subtle: subtle)

Power Settings
Advanced Might (Powers: Flight 1, Immunity 20, Protection 1, Rapid Healing: Regeneration 9, Ranged Combat +6 (+8), Advantages: Improved Initiative)
Cutting and Welding (Powers: Cutting and Welding: Transform 12)
Flight Boost Combat (Powers: Flight 9, Dodge +1 (+9), Parry +1 (+9), Advantages: Improved Initiative 5)
Gravity Bubble (Powers: Create 14, Move Object 9, Shapeable Area Immunity 5)
Immovable Melee (Powers: Gravity Shield: Immunity 20, Immunity 5, Protection 1, Regeneration 9)
Island Mover (Powers: Enhanced Strength 25)
Rapid Punches (Powers: Enhanced Trait 8, Flight 1, Strength Effect)
Running Man (Powers: Quickness 5, Speed 15, Advantages: Improved Initiative 5)
Solar Wind (Powers: Line Area Move Object 7)
Star Drill (Powers: Drilling: Burrowing 17)
Star Punch (Powers: Burst Area Strength Effect 14)

Equipment
CoJ Base contribution 1, CoJ Comm COJ-004 2, CoJ Comm COJ-201 1, CoJ Vehicle contribution 3

Offense
Initiative +10
2-hand Blast: Damage 20, +8 (DC 35)
Narrow Eye Beams: Blast 18, +10 (DC 33)
Wide Eye Beams: Cone Area Damage 14 (DC 29)
Cutting and Welding: Transform 12, +12 (DC Dog 22)
Darting Eye Beams: Cone Area Damage 14 (DC 29)
Grab, +10 (DC Spec 28)
Heat: Burst Area Damage 10 (DC 25)
Light: Perception Area Dazzle 5 (DC Fort 15)
Line Area Move Object 7 (DC 19)
Manual Blast: Line Area Damage 14 (DC 29)
Move Object 9, +10 (DC 19)
Throw, +4 (DC 33)
Unarmed, +10 (DC 33)
Unpulled Punch: Strength-based Damage 2, +8 (DC 35)

Complications
Nemeses: Morning Star has many enemies: Kristoffer, Power Star, Project: Titan, Eruption, etc.
Relationships: Mark has many family ties: his parents (Matthew & Denise), his brother (Jeff), sister-in-law (Ailean) and their children (Burt and Dierdre).
Responsibility: Morning Star has a strong desire to use both his powers and Mark Adams' wealth for good.
Secret Identity: Mark Adams goes to great lengths to keep his identity as Morning Star a secret.
Vulnerability: Powers with Darkness as a descriptor get +5 effect against Morning Star.

Languages
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, Sternzunge

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 15, Toughness 19, Will 13/9

Power Points
Abilities 120 + Powers 148 + Advantages 48 + Skills 15 (30 ranks) + Defenses 9 = 340

Known Background Morning Star first appeared to the world some twenty years ago. The similarly powered Power Star had already appeared and was carving a path of destruction towards the nation’s capitol. Morning Star showed up, and very publicly defeated the more powerful villain. Appearing very much like the classic image of the super hero, Morning Star was well met by the press, and his popularity has remained high since. A few years later, Morning Star was, along with Banshee, Dragon, and Burt Remington, a founding member of the Champions of Justice. He was chosen to be their leader, and remained in that role, officially, until about a decade ago. It was after the COJ had disbanded and had reformed, and was reorganising that he handed over the job to Dragon (as Field Commander) and Burt Remington Jr. (as Chairman). He has remained with the team ever since. After Burt Remington Jr.’s departure, and as the group became large he once again became the de facto chairman, until Spectrum took on that function. Today, he remains a member of the Executive Board of the Champions of Justice, as his voice and opinion carry a great deal of weight. During the early part of his career, Morning Star operated in southern California, primarily around Los Angeles and Orange County. When the group disbanded briefly fifteen years ago, he relocated to the east coast, centering around Empire City, Kennsington County, Delaware.

Personality Morning Star is very much into his role as a super hero and is very personable. He has an extremely strong sense of responsibility, and a great deal of patience. He tries to see the best in people, but if he cannot find it, or loses sight of it, he does not suffer fools gladly. When he lightens up his sardonic sense of humour will shine through.

Powers/Tactics Morning Star’s body is extremely strong and durable. The solar energy that courses through his body requires it. He can also use that energy to create energy and plasma beams and to manipulate gravity. This gravity manipulation allows him to fly at incredible speed, and to allow him to become one of the strongest beings on the planet. He has received some hand-to-hand combat training, which combined with his quick wits and extensive experience make him a talented fighter. He knows how to best use his powers, and works well with others. His greatest weakness as a fighter is his sense of responsibility which causes him to always choose the toughest opponents. Completely separate from his solar powers, he is an exceptional polyglot, and is one of few terrans who know how to speak Sternzunge, the lingua franca used by star-faring races in this part of the galaxy.

Appearance Morning Star is 6’3" and weighs 364 lbs., although the denseness doesn't show. He is fairly muscular and attractive. He wears a blue and red costume with gold trim, usually over a white body stocking. The lens on his mask conceals that his eyes glow when his powers in effect.

Real World Stuff
When I created Morning Star, he was just a handful of "generic" powers, I through together when I started the Champions of Justice. Just one of the people who had been together for "five years", that I wanted to be around so I, as GM could have a voice. But a few things happened. The first was that he was probably the most "Super Hero-y" of the first four. This led to my first problem was that when I asked my players Eric (Dragon), Doug (Burt Remington), and Sandy (Banshee) who the leader of this then-still-unnamed veteran team was, they unaniously answered "Morning Star", and I was inexperienced enough to not realise that this was a bad idea. The next thing was that by our third or fourth session, Doug had asked if he could guest run a chapter. And, for that chapter, Morning Star became a player character, and he started developing further.

Some months later, I picked up Aaron Allston's Strike Force shortly after it was released. It gave us the term "GMPC" (game-master player character) as opposed to just an NPC (non-player character). It was clear that Morning Star was a GMPC where people like Stellar lad and Ms. Scarlet were NPCs.

Then there was the power creep. The first real instance of it was when helping Doug develop a backstory for his character Count Zero (an emotion-filled android from offworld, named after a William Gibson novel).
Ken: Well, after he arrived, where did they put his ship so no one can get to it? The bottom of the sea?
Doug: ...of Tranquility.

This necessitated someone on the team being capable of such a feat. If Cound Zero could do it, he wouldn't have needed the ship in the first place. Dragon needed his wings, and therefore an atmosphere, to fly. It sort of fell to Morning Star, plus, as a GM-controlled character, I didn't need to dictate anything to anyone else about their character's development.

So, between the power creep, the authority he held on the team (even after I got him out of the team leader gig), and him being the general model of what kind of super-heroism I wanted, well, he grew into a Supermanalogue. This was first nailed home when Doug was introducing Jim (they'd been friends since they were 6 or 7) to super-hero RPGs and the RCU in particular.
Jim: So, Morning Star is kind of your Superman?
Doug: More of our Hyperion, really.

After 29 years of use, I'm quite fond of him, although I still toy with trying to get him off the Champions of Justice from time to time. I've generally conjcluded that this would be futile. Still, I enjoy those rare times when someone guest GMs and I get to play him.

Just as an amusing design note, in the earliest designs of him, the white shirt and white tights weren't present. His arms, legs and side were bare. This didn't sit well with my friends, which led to the white part being added, and why the white parts are, canonically, seperate pieces. Every once in a while, he'll still remove or skip the white parts... just to mess with people.
Last edited by Ken on Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ken

Banshee

Post by Ken » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:56 am

Banshee - PL 12

Strength 1, Stamina -, Agility 4, Dexterity 1, Fighting 2, Intellect 2, Awareness 3, Presence 5

Advantages
All-out Attack, Attractive 2, Benefit, Status: CoJ, Benefit, Status: Fashion Model, Benefit, Wealth 3 (millionare), Connected, Diehard, Equipment 1, Evasion, Fascinate (Deception), Fascinate (Expertise: Modeling), Fascinate (Persuasion), Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical 2: Wail, Instant Up, Languages 2, Lionheart, Move-by Action, Skill Mastery: Ranged Combat

Skills
Acrobatics 1 (+5), Deception 5 (+10), Expertise (PRE): Modeling 5 (+10), Insight 5 (+8), Intimidation 3 (+8), Perception 5 (+8), Persuasion 5 (+10), Ranged Combat: Banshee's Wail 11 (+12), Stealth 6 (+10), Technology 2 (+4), Treatment 2 (+4)

Powers
Alive or Dead Array
. . Ailean : Enhanced Trait 19 (Traits: Stamina +8 (+8), Fortitude +3 (+3))
. . Banshee
. . . . Enhanced Trait 0 (Traits: Stamina -1 (+0))
. . . . Immortality 1 (Return after 2 weeks)
. . . . Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects)
. . . . Protection 11 (+11 Toughness; Subtle: subtle)
Banshee's Sight: Senses 4 (Precognition; Limited: Only to see the imminent death of someone)
Banshee's Wail
. . Area Blast: Burst Area Damage 12 (DC 27; Affects Corporeal 12, Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 22)
. . Attack: Perception Area Affliction 9 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 19; Affects Corporeal 9, Perception Area: DC 19 - Sound, Selective)
. . Conical Blast: Cone Area Damage 12 (DC 27; Affects Corporeal 12, Cone Area: 60 feet cone, DC 22)
. . Direct Attack: Affliction 12 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 22; Affects Corporeal 12, Increased Range: ranged)
. . Direct Blast: Blast 12 (DC 27; Affects Corporeal 12)
Ghost Touch (Affects Corporeal)
Ghostly Form Benefits: Enhanced Trait 23 (Traits: Dodge +6 (+13), Parry +6 (+13), Will +6 (+12), Advantages: Diehard, Evasion, Hide in Plain Sight, Instant Up, Move-by Action)
Ghostly Form: Insubstantial 4 (Incorporeal; Increased Duration: continuous, Reaction: reaction)
Ghostly Movement
. . Flight 7 (Speed: 250 miles/hour, 0.5 miles/round)
. . Movement 4 (Safe Fall, Trackless: Sight 1, Water Walking 2)

Equipment
CoJ Bases 1, CoJ Comm COJ-001 2, CoJ Vehicles 2

Offense
Initiative +4
Area Blast: Burst Area Damage 12 (DC 27)
Attack: Perception Area Affliction 9 (DC Fort 19)
Conical Blast: Cone Area Damage 12 (DC 27)
Direct Attack: Affliction 12, +12 (DC Fort 22)
Direct Blast: Blast 12, +12 (DC 27)
Grab, +2 (DC Spec 11)
Throw, +1 (DC 16)
Unarmed, +2 (DC 16)

Complications
Power Loss: When mortal as Ailean, rather than Banshee, she has 3 STA, 3 TOU, and 6 Fortitude, and the only powers she retains are the Banshee's Sight and the Ailean Alternate Effect that makes her mortal.
Relationships: Aileen is married to Jeff Adams and they have two children.
Responsibility: Banshee has visions of imminent death and feels obliged to try to prevent it.
Vulnerability: Due to her mystical origins, magic-based attacks get +2 to the Attack Check and +2 to the effect.

Languages
English, French, Gaelic

Defense
Dodge 13/7, Parry 13/7, Fortitude Immune, Toughness 11, Will 12/6

Power Points
Abilities 26 + Powers 161 + Advantages 19 + Skills 25 (50 ranks) + Defenses 11 = 242

Known Background Banshee first appeared in Ireland eighteen years ago, in a quick spate of saving people all around Dublin, and the surrounding areas, from certainly fatal accidents or criminal encounters. It was in these early weeks, as her fame spread, that she became aware of the imminent invasion from der Nacht. She traveled to the western United States and helped Burt Remington, Dragon, the first Guardian, and Morning Star stop the invasion. In the wake of this, those heroes, minus Guardian, formed the Champions of Justice. Banshee remained with the team for the next several years, splitting her time between Los Angeles, Dublin, and eventually New York. During that time she was romantically linked with Morning Star. After the team disbanded and reformed, her work with the team dropped off, and in the appearances she did make it became clear her relationship with Morning Star, while amicable, had clearly changed. She has started working with the team more, after several years off of active duty.

Personality Banshee is a reluctant heroine. The hero work was easier for her when she thought she was in love with Morning Star, when in fact, she was more in love with his image. She has softened through the years, originally being quite haughty. Today, she seems more like a woman in love, and a woman seperated from her family. There is a tragic side to her powers, and in that sense she resents them, but feels tremendously guilty when she doesn't use them.

Powers/Tactics Banshee's obvious powers stem from her ghost-like nature. She is incorporeal, passing through walls, and allowing objects and attacks to pass through her. This makes her very hard to hurt. Also, she posesses the Banshee's wail, a powerful, painful sonic attack that she can use on an individual, or on a crowd. She also learned to focus the vibrations into a powerful physical blast. Her least obvious power is also the one that she is both the most grateful for and the most resentful about. Just as a traditional banshee is appears at a time of someones death, Banshee has a sporadic sense of knowing when someone is about to die, so she can appear. Unlike her namesake, though, this Banshee chooses to do something about it.

Appearance Banshee appears as a preternaturally beautiful young woman. She has long, flowing, dark hair and bright green eyes. Originally, her only clothing was a gauzy dress. She quickly added shoes, a black eye-mask and any number of alternating dark swimsuits to the ensemble.

Real World Stuff
When Sandy (Sandra, really), designed Banshee, the two costumes she gave her (at different times) are basically represented here ("animated" gif). Sandy was the one to make Banshee basically run around in a sexy swimsuit with a barely-there flowy thing. In contrast, the first major female NPC I created was Ms. Scarlet in the red jacket and the black body-stocking.

There's probably some kind of reason for this. But since I haven't seen her more than 5 times since graduation (25 years ago), I don't feel like guessing too hard. I just think that it's weird that one of the most out-there, pandering, sexist, designed costume for a female character in the RCU was dsigned by a young woman.

In hindsight, I kept Morning Star and Banshee a couple for far too long. I should of had them break up once Sandy moved to Texas. I actually had them married at one point. But I came to regret that decision. And since the RCU is a comic-trope heavy place, it means we periodically do retcons. And around 1999/2000 we had a big event that set-up several. So I "One More Day"d Mark and Ailean, but without and deals with the devil. Just a cosmic Chaos doohickey.

The other thing is that Banshee's origin was far from cast in stone at first. Sandy tried one explanation, than another. It was only after Sandy was clearly done with the character that I started making some decisions about her, so there's actually a lot of my stuff in here, as well as Sandy's stuff.

Ken

Turbo

Post by Ken » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:58 am

Image.Image.Image

Turbo - PL 12

Strength 4, Stamina 3, Agility 6, Dexterity 8, Fighting 6, Intellect 7, Awareness 8/1, Presence 3

Advantages
Agile Feint, Assessment, Benefit, Alternate Identity: Terminal Velocity, Benefit: Champion of Justice, Close Attack 10, Connected, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 4, Diehard, Equipment 2, Evasion 2, Extraordinary Effort, Fascinate (Expertise: Biochemistry), Grabbing Finesse, Great Endurance, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative 9, Improved Trip, Improvised Tools, Instant Up, Jack-of-all-trades, Leadership, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close, Cover), Quick Draw, Second Chance: Velocity Impacts, Seize Initiative, Set-up, Skill Mastery: Sleight of Hand, Takedown 2, Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge, Well-informed

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+8), Athletics 6 (+10), Deception 5 (+8), Expertise: Biochemistry 2 (+9), Expertise: Geography 3 (+10), Intimidation 1 (+4), Perception 2 (+10), Persuasion 3 (+6), Sleight of Hand 8 (+16), Stealth 2 (+8), Technology 3 (+10), Treatment 3 (+10)

Powers
Getting His Attention: Enhanced Trait 14 (Traits: Awareness +7 (+8); Activation: move action)
Hypermetabolism: Immunity 3 (Disease, Poison, Sleep)
Speed Aura: Immunity 1 (Custom: Speed Effects 1; Affects Others, Reaction 3: reaction, Notes: Friction, wind, inertia ripping body apart, etc.)
Starfish Healing: Regeneration 5 (Every 2 rounds)
Super Speed (Advantages: Agile Feint, Close Attack 10, Defensive Roll 4, Evasion 2, Improved Initiative 9, Instant Up, Move-by Action, Quick Draw, Seize Initiative, Set-up, Skill Mastery, Takedown 2)
. . Enhanced Trait 22 (Traits: Dodge +11 (+17), Parry +11 (+17))
. . Movement 3 (Wall-crawling 2: full speed, Water Walking 1: you sink if you are prone; Limited: Only while Moving)
. . Quickness 20+5 ([Stacking ranks: +5], Perform routine tasks in -25 time ranks)
. . Speed 20+5 ([Stacking ranks: +5], Speed: 64 million miles/hour, 125000 miles/round)
Super Speed Stunts Array
. . More Speed Tricks: Variable 3 (Action 2: free, Stacks with: Super Speed Tricks: Variable 2; Limited: Only abilities with speed descriptor)
. . Multipunch: Strength-based Damage 4 (DC 23; Multiattack [4 extra ranks], Penetrating 8)
. . Vacuum: Concentration Cylinder Area Affliction 8 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 18; Cylinder Area: 30 feet cylinder, DC 18, Concentration)
. . Vibration: Insubstantial 4 (Incorporeal)
. . Whirlwind: Cylinder Area Move Object 12 (100 tons; Cylinder Area: 30 feet cylinder, DC 22; Reduced Range: close)
Super Speed Tricks: Variable 2 (Action 2: free; Limited: Only abilities with speed descriptor)
. . Even Faster (Powers: Quickness 5, Speed 5)
. . . . Quickness 5 (Perform routine tasks in -5 time ranks; Stacks with: Quickness 20+5)
. . . . Speed 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round; Stacks with: Speed 20+5)

Power Settings
After Images (Powers: After Images: Illusion 10)
Air Cushion (Powers: Air Cushion: Cylinder Area Movement 1)
Even Faster (Powers: Quickness 5, Speed 5)
Faster Than the Eye Can Follow (Powers: Concealment 10)

Equipment
CoJ Communicator COJ-011 2, Contribution to CoJ Bases 1, Contribution to CoJ Vehicles 3, Flash Goggles

Offense
Initiative +42
Grab, +16 (DC Spec 18)
Multipunch: Strength-based Damage 4, +16 (DC 23)
Throw, +8 (DC 19)
Unarmed, +16 (DC 19)
Vacuum: Concentration Cylinder Area Affliction 8 (DC Fort 18)
Whirlwind: Cylinder Area Move Object 12 (DC 22)

Complications
Needler: Turbo, from his own perspective, has time on his hands. As such, he can be very playful at times. However, this playfulness sometimes manifests as needling and annoying people.
Relationships: Rick Lynx is very dedicated to his wife Sarah and his mentor, Dr. Bob Hogan. He is also very tight with members of the CoJ team, especially Dwight Jones.
Rivals: Turbo is the fastest man alive. There are many speedsters (or other fast parahumans) in the world who would love to beat him so as to claim that title for themselves, or at least try to match him or show him up.
Vulnerability: Due to his accelerated metabolism, Acid has an increased effectiveness on Turbo. Acid attacks get +2 to the effect.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 17/6, Parry 17/6, Fortitude 9, Toughness 7/3, Will 15

Power Points
Abilities 76 + Powers 169 + Advantages 25 + Skills 20 (40 ranks) + Defenses 13 = 303

Known Background Turbo first ran onto the scene in Boston, Massachusetts about a decade ago. During his second case against parahuman criminals, he encountered the part-time Champion of Justice Riptide. This, in turn, led him to get involved in the case that caused the Champions to reform, their first encounter with Kristoffer. He has remained with the team ever since, though at one point personal difficulties started affecting his performance. After Roulette was injured due to Turbo's misjudgement, he got his act together. Today he has accepted his role as perhaps the ultimate utility player. During the past few years he has been serving on the Champions' Executive Board.

Personality Turbo comes across as a likeable, though sometimes slightly spacey, super hero. Despite his long career as a hero, he still comes across as one of the guys. As such, he comes across well in television interviews. He sometimes has a problem in that his speed causes him to become distracted faster than most people. At one point, multiple stresses in his personal life, and an unwarrented inferiority complex led to him becoming more violent. In recent years, however, he has worked through his issues and has learned to appreciate creative uses of his powers.

Powers/Tactics Turbo's power is speed. When he began his career he could "only" run at 300 m.p.h., but over time, his speed grew and grew. Today he can run fast enough to cross an ocean in seconds, never breaking surface tension. It is believed that, short of a few energy beings, he is the fastest being on Earth. His top speed is unknown. Capable of using his speed to cause tremendous damage when needed, he has learned that his greatest talent lies in removing potentially large numbers of innocents out of harm's way and in taking down small armies of human criminals quickly and precisely, and with a minimum of force.

Appearance Turbo is 5’8" with a runner's build: muscular yet lean. His uniform is dark blue and silver. Though he briefly wore a crash helmet early in his career, back when he wore blue, cyan, and yellow, he soon opted for a pair of one-way goggles to protect his identity, leaving his brown hair exposed.

Real Life Stuff
Turbo is my favourite, of all the characters that Neil created for my campaign: the Champions of Justice. Which I think irritates Neil to no end.

Neil created Turbo back in 1987, I think, but didn't use him until he introduced him into my campaign in 1988. And he was the guy who could actually get up to 300 mph under 3rd Edition Champions. And I thought, he was great. He was clearly inspired by the Flash. Curiously, since Neil came to DC comics late, he didn't know Barry or Jay, so making Rick Lynx a scientist (well, science graduate student) was actually one of Neil's ways of difeerentiating Rick from Wally.

Sadly, Neil never liked Turbo that much. Despite having a huge amount of the spotlight (acting 2-3 times as often as most characters), Neil found Turbo ... limited.

Neil kept trying other characters, but he kept coming back to Turbo. We were doing what the Cosmic Handbook calls troupe play. And, a) none of the replacements worked as well b) his favourite kept getting knocked out and c) my biases also influenced things.

Finally, in 1999, Neil finally convinced me that he really, really wanted to drop Turbo. And I, reluctantly, agreed. A few hours later, Jim asked Neil if *he* could take over Turbo, and Neil bewilderedly agreed. (Basically these conversations were on either side of seeing Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow). So, Rick/Turbo has been Jim's for now half again as long as he was Neil's.

It was actually Jim who came up with the in-game explanation for Turbo's sometimes spacey behaviour. The out-of game reality was that Neil was either disinterested or was so hung up on trying to come up ways of making Turbo "interesting" or being clever that he lost his focus.

There's a character Neil uses as an NPC in his own game, Fasttrack who, powerwise, is a LOT like how Turbo was in the old days: fast and direct, but not much in the way of speed tricks. But Neil loves playing her because a) she's a she and b) because she's an unaging, 60-something year old, hippie scientist. And, the few times other people have guest-run his campaign or done crossovers, he's loved playing her as a PC. I find that ... telling.

Here's the thing, basically Neil found Turbo boring because he could never find ways of making Rick quirky or funny. Apparently, just being a traditional super-hero is dull. But if the character plays against super heroic traditions and tropes, then that character is interesting. And Neil is surprised that he and I keep butting heads, nearly thirty years on.

Me, I loved Turbo expressly, I think, because he lacked all these traits that Neil deems interesting. I mean, Jim has actually added quirks and traits, but he's kept that, at the core, Turbo is about doing the job. And exploring "the job" of super-heroics, the whys and hows of the job of being a hero, that's why I play in super-hero games.
Last edited by Ken on Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcjec

Post by jcjec » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:07 am

Spectrum wrote:Is there any chance of getting to play in this really cool environment sometime?
As Ken's frequent partner in crime, I can definitely say yes, new players are always welcome. Feel free to visit our website (http://www.rcuhero.net) and take a look around, and then drop either Ken or I a private e-mail to work out the details.

Jim, or Jimm for long. :D
Jim C.

I know that into every life a little rain must fall,
but why do we have to live in the flood plains?

jcjec

Re: Turbo

Post by jcjec » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:27 am

Ken wrote:Finally, in 1999, Neil finally convinced me that he really, really wanted to drop Turbo. And I, reluctantly, agreed. A few hours later, Jim asked Neil if *he* could take over Turbo, and Neil bewilderedly agreed. (Basically these conversations were on either side of seeing Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow). So, Rick/Turbo has been Jim's for now half again as long as he was Neil's.

It was actually Jim who came up with the in-game explanation for Turbo's sometimes spacey behaviour. The out-of game reality was that Neil was either disinterested or was so hung up on trying to come up ways of making Turbo "interesting" or being clever that he lost his focus.
Did someone say my name three times? 8-)
Jim C.

Ken

Re: Turbo

Post by Ken » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:36 am

jcjec wrote:
Ken wrote:Finally, in 1999, Neil finally convinced me that he really, really wanted to drop Turbo. And I, reluctantly, agreed. A few hours later, Jim asked Neil if *he* could take over Turbo, and Neil bewilderedly agreed. (Basically these conversations were on either side of seeing Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow). So, Rick/Turbo has been Jim's for now half again as long as he was Neil's.

Did someone say my name three times? 8-)
No doubt. And, I will again, as, after we saw Dr. Strange this afternoon, Balatar's up next....

Ken

Balatar

Post by Ken » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:37 am

Image.Image

Balatar - PL 11

Strength 1, Stamina 6/2, Agility 2, Dexterity 0, Fighting 1, Intellect 6, Awareness 7, Presence 3

Advantages
Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Artificer, Assessment, Benefit, Cipher, Benefit, Wealth (well-off), Connected, Equipment 4, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Critical 4: Magic Attack, Improved Critical 4: Magic Missile, Improved Initiative 2, Languages 4, Power Attack, Ritualist, Ultimate Effort: Magic, Well-informed

Skills
Athletics 3 (+4), Deception 3 (+6), Expertise: Cryptography 1 (+7), Expertise: Forgery 1 (+7), Expertise: Magic 9 (+15), Expertise: Mystic World 1 (+7), Expertise: Teaching 1 (+7), Insight 1 (+8), Intimidation 2 (+5), Investigation 1 (+7), Perception 3 (+10), Persuasion 3 (+6), Ranged Combat: Magic 5 (+5), Stealth 6 (+8), Technology 1 (+7), Treatment 3 (+9)

Powers
Cloak of Levitation (Removable)
. . Flight 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round)
. . . . Oh Dear!!!: Flight 20 (Alternate; Speed: 2 million miles/hour, 4000 miles/round; Concentration, Distracting)
Gem of Fortitude (Removable)
. . Enhanced Trait 12 (Traits: Stamina +4 (+6), Fortitude +4 (+10))
. . Regeneration 3 (Every 3.33 rounds)
Spell of Communication: Feature 1 (Notes: Makes Magic Communicators)
Spell of Protection
. . Impervious Toughness 15
. . Protection 10 (+10 Toughness)
Tapping his Mystic Potential
. . Magic Attack: Damage 17 (DC 32, Advantages: Improved Critical 4; Affects Insubstantial 2: full rank, Increased Range: ranged, Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - Magic)
. . Magic Blast: Damage 11 (DC 26; Affects Insubstantial 2: full rank, Increased Range 2: perception, Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - Magic)
. . Magic Boom: Burst Area Damage 10 (DC 25; Affects Insubstantial 2: full rank, Burst Area 2: 60 feet radius sphere, DC 20, Increased Range: ranged, Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - Magic)
. . Magic Matter: Create 11 (Volume: 2000 cft., DC 21; Impervious, Innate, Precise, Subtle: subtle, Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - Magic)
. . Magic Missile: Damage 9 (DC 24, Advantages: Improved Critical 4; Accurate 4: +8, Affects Insubstantial 2: full rank, Homing 5: 5 extra attempts, Increased Range: ranged, Multiattack, Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - Magic)
. . Magical Bindings: Snare 11 (DC 21; Increased Range: perception, Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - Magic)
. . Magical Pain: Concentration Affliction 11 (1st degree: Dazed, Impaired, 2nd degree: Stunned, Disabled, Resisted by: Will, DC 21; Affects Insubstantial: half ranks, Concentration, Extra Condition, Increased Range 2: perception; Limited Degree)
. . Magikinisis I: Move Object 10 (25 tons, DC 25; Affects Insubstantial 2: full rank, Damaging, Increased Range: perception, Subtle 2: undetectable)
. . Magikinisis II: Move Object 13 (200 tons, DC 28; Accurate 2: +4, Damaging, Precise, Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - Magic)
. . Spells on the Fly: Variable 5 (Action 2: free)
. . Team Transport: Teleport 12 (Carry 6 tons; Accurate, Change Direction, Change Velocity, Extended: 4000 miles in 2 move actions, Increased Mass 8; Limited to Extended)

Power Settings
Cleaning and Packing (Powers: Cleaning and Packing: Shapeable Area Move Object 3)
Flying Hero (Powers: Disguise: Morph 1, Power-Lifting: Enhanced Strength 5, Super Punch: Strength-based Damage 10)
Magic Flail (Powers: Magic Flail: Strength-based Damage 8)
Magic Sword (Powers: Magic Sword: Strength-based Damage 8)
Mental Probe (Powers: No, not the Mind Probe!: Mind Reading 11)

Equipment
Magic B.A.D.A.S.S. Communicator 2, Pocket Manor

Offense
Initiative +10
Cleaning and Packing: Shapeable Area Move Object 3 (DC 13)
Grab, +1 (DC Spec 11)
Magic Attack: Damage 17, +5 (DC 32)
Magic Blast: Damage 11 (DC 26)
Magic Boom: Burst Area Damage 10 (DC 25)
Magic Flail: Strength-based Damage 8, +13 (DC 24)
Magic Missile: Damage 9, +13 (DC 24)
Magic Sword: Strength-based Damage 8, +13 (DC 24)
Magical Bindings: Snare 11 (DC Dog 21)
Magical Pain: Concentration Affliction 11 (DC Will 21)
Magikinisis I: Move Object 10 (DC 25)
Magikinisis II: Move Object 13, +9 (DC 28)
No, not the Mind Probe!: Mind Reading 11 (DC Will 21)
Super Punch: Strength-based Damage 10, +11 (DC 26)
Throw, +0 (DC 16)
Unarmed, +1 (DC 16)

Complications
Enemy/Mistaken Identity: Balatar is the unknown grandson of Kristoffer, Son of Mordred, and bears a marked reseblance to him as well.
Obsession: Balatar has a very strong hatred of evil and Black Magic.
Responsibility: As his number of allies grows, Hans is finding it harder and harder to remain emotionally detatched from them.

Languages
Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, German, Queen's English, Romanian, Spanish, Tibetan

Defense
Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 10/6, Toughness 16, Will 12

Power Points
Abilities 44 + Powers 103 + Advantages 22 + Skills 22 (44 ranks) + Defenses 14 = 205

Background: While the general public was never made aware of it, Adolph Hitler's fascination with the occult was so deep that he actually recruited a mage to be his sorcerous advisor. Curiously, this mage was English, although he did desire to see England fall to Germany. This mage, while staying at the German chancellery took a perverse liking to one of the young women the Nazis had pressed into servitude. He forced himself on her in 1944. Had he ever learned he had impregnated her he would have had her killed. The arrival of the Allied forces in Germany gave him other things to worry about before he or she learned of her condition. The servant girl escaped and was found by Allied forces.

As luck would have it, she and a British soldier fell in love. When her delicate condition was discovered, he married her, assuming the child she carried was his. A career soldier, he stayed in West Germany through the Occupation, and then endeavoured to stay. Their daughter grew up having a fairly normal, healthy childhood, never knowing that her true father was a 1300 year old sorcerer from England.

Eventually, she married, and thirty years ago her son, Hans, was born. Hans was born with strong magic potential, inherited from his grandfather and his mother before him. Growing up, many strange and yet beneficial events happened to or around Hans, who never realised it was his unconscious. While he was in college, he was approached by a man named Frederick Hall (known to some as Professor Möbius) who offered to teach Hans how to control his magic.

As the time of him finishing his training neared, he was one of a handful of novice adventurers (Fantasia, Alistair Munroe, Menagerie¹, Quadtron, D'stani) who were brought to der Nacht. After escaping he went and completed his training. Then, he has fell in with another group, one that hates evil magic the way he does. Overtime, Balatar has built up a substantial network, as well as a core group, of allies.

After exterminating a lot of evil monsters, Balatar discovered that one of his allies, Damon Flagg, was the der Nacht-Earth link. After severing that link, Balatar brought Flagg to Moebius for training. Moebius made Balatar promise to start learning how to train. Since then, Balatar's "allies" have increasingly become those who don't know evil magic and are primarily in the fight for sh*ts and giggles. He returned to Moebius for training on how-to-train.

In the meantime, he's let hacker (and apprentice mage) GUI use the Manor, and take over assembling strike teams to investigate and attack evil magic. Balatar is a little embarrassed that GUI has taken to referring to the group as "Balatar's Army Defending Against Supernatural Sociopaths" or B.A.D.A.S.S.

Real World Stuff
I created Balatar for a campaign that my friend Tim was going to run. And Tim specifically asked me to play a super hero mage. I found out, much after the fact, that he was expecting something more "trenchcoat brigade-ish". He forgot he was dealing with a guy who's idea of the Phantom Stranger is from the Justice League, and ideas about super mages are influenced by Dr. Fate, Dr. Strange, Zatanna, etc. Balatar's first costume is the lowest one shown. It was also that drawing's resemblence to a drawing of Kristoffer Mordred's Son (a Champions of Justice recurring foe) that led to the Balatar is secretly Kristoffer's gandson thing.

Tim's campaign only had one session. He actually wanted to use Kristoffer. Not because of Balatar, but because he'd gotten a serious chubby for a particular version of Arthurian lore he had been reading. And Kristoffer, sone of Mordred, is all about Arthurian lore. But the other thing is that Kris is a "fight the CoJ on his own" villain. I made him a PL 16 when converting to DCA. (the CoJ caps at PL 14.) Kris woukd have curb-stopped Tim's "Freax". Tim didn't like being told I wouldn't let him nerf one of my star villains, so the campaign ended.

Balatar later turned up in the campaign nicknamed "Retribution" (it had no formal name), and most recently BADASS. And these, being Jim-run games, ended up with Balarar in the leadership spot... again.

Ken

Post by Ken » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:40 am

jcjec wrote:
Spectrum wrote:Is there any chance of getting to play in this really cool environment sometime?
As Ken's frequent partner in crime, I can definitely say yes, new players are always welcome. Feel free to visit our website (http://www.rcuhero.net) and take a look around, and then drop either Ken or I a private e-mail to work out the details.
I have to say, Jim, seeing you reply to Spectrum amuses me to no end. I think Dwight is gonna be on tomorrow's docket. :D

jcjec

Post by jcjec » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:43 am

Ken wrote:
jcjec wrote:
I have to say, Jim, seeing you reply to Spectrum amuses me to no end. I think Dwight is gonna be on tomorrow's docket. :D
What can I say? I couldn't resist. I just can't wait to meet Fireforce and Quadtron on here. :P
Jim C.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:08 am

So good to see this thread again!

Like I said before, the "Behind-The-Scenes" stuff about tabletop politics, actual gameplay, and various long-running campaigns going on makes this SO much more interesting to me than other threads... just those "personal touches". It's why I spout word after word about stuff in my thread- several people tell me they read JUST for the commentary!