Ken's Kache of Khracters (Druid, Pteetian, Samson, Girrigan)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Ken's Kache of Khracters (Mecha Team of Nippon, Yuna Hu, Captain Zhou)

Post by Jabroniville » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:06 am

Yeah, the pilot team is rad. I love the obvious Gatchaman references (Leader-Guy, The Lancer-type brooder, The Big Guy), and the Power Rangers mechs.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:19 am

Oh good, I was hoping for something like a "Roster of Teams" here.

The CoJ is a very solid JLA-type squad- all very capable characters at high PL.

I find it interesting how many teams represent certain towns. More of a DC feel than a Marvel one, save for the fact that the cities are real-world ones, and they're represented by entire teams instead of solo heroes.

What makes the "Earth-K minus" stuff so hard to reconcile? A continuity thing, or a "feel" thing?

What was the tale behind "The Hawk"? I see that referenced a fair bit.

Ken

Post by Ken » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:54 am

Jabroniville wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:19 am
I find it interesting how many teams represent certain towns. More of a DC feel than a Marvel one, save for the fact that the cities are real-world ones, and they're represented by entire teams instead of solo heroes.
We do have fictional cities; for a long time I eschewed them. Then there was a point where I realised I didn't know why, and I basically just put it up to the players, and having fictional cities won. The truth is, people often don't know much about the real cities either, so it really doesn't matter. If people want to use real cities, they can. If they don't want to, we can accommodate. Gives us more options.
Jabroniville wrote:
What makes the "Earth-K minus" stuff so hard to reconcile? A continuity thing, or a "feel" thing?
Both, actually. I'll come back to this question later, after my therapy session in the morning.
Jabroniville wrote:
What was the tale behind "The Hawk"? I see that referenced a fair bit.
The Hawk was the team that Jim ran for about a decade. When he began it, he was starting his undergraduate days, and the bulk of the players were friends and classmates from the school and its environs. It was also set in its own continuity - not a part of the RCU. The continuity was referred to as the LU Universe, or Earth-L. There were isolated bits of his own RCU stuff that Jim replicated, but it was mostly his own thing that he hoped could be a shared thing. But one thing he did is that he didn't try to run this world's Avengers or JLA. He set it up as a local (Chicago) team, with a theme of new supers learning to be heroes. The name came as a reference to the cold bitter winds that can come flying in, as they do in many cities.

I was the first RCU player, other than Jim himself, to play on "Earth-L". This is where I created and played Captain Miracle. The idea being that Christian Cameron was new to being Captain Miracle, but Captain Miracle was kind of used to it. And I played with that dichotomy, while it also gave the campaign someone to look to as an example. But after a while attrition set in. Players who'd been mainstays left, etc. What happens to most games, I guess. Jim found some new players, but Jim also recruited some old players, and got some of the RCU players (Neil, Jenn, Andy) to join in. And the Hawk expanded. And it got to big.

So, Jim decided to split the group, basically with the RCU players, who all knew one another, remaining as the Hawk; and spinning off the other players (new and old) off into there own group.

And then Jim floored me with his next request. He asked if the Hawk could be brought into the RCU. We discussed it for a while, with me basically taking the stance of "what about all the Earth-L backstory" and "what about your creative autonomy" and Jim taking the "the only one who ever paid any attention to the earth-L backstory was you" (meaning me) and "I may be losing some autonomy, but I'm gaining a world the players know and care about and a GM partner who wants me to succeed" position. And Jim won out. A cosmic, time-bending story was run, and at the end the Hawk were in the RCU, and as far as play was concerned they always had been.

Sadly, over the next few years, the campaign was beset with the problems I've detailed here with characters like Eidolon and Captain Miracle, and when the player group got really, really small, and we shifted to a play-by-post model for a while, the Hawk was, in-story, kind of folded into the Champions of Justice. The Hawk's headquarters, the Hawk's Nest, was renamed "the Aerie" (same meaning; less team-branding) and became the CoJ's Midwest base.
Does a Winnie poo in the 100-acre wood?

Ken

Re: Earth-K-minus

Post by Ken » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:50 pm

Ken wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:54 am
Jabroniville wrote:
Both, actually. I'll come back to this question later, after my therapy session in the morning.
Yeah, so Earth-K minus.

Basically, my thing as a gamemaster is running high-end super heroics. As I've often said, my models for the Champions of Justice are the Justice League (particularly the satellite era) and the Avengers. The idea, ideally, is that each of the CoJers has their own active crime-fighting career outside of what they do with the CoJ, and then when the CoJ calls for the big stuff, they come. It doesn't always work, but that's the idea. So, when I run the CoJ the menaces are big and grand. Even if I'm using jobber villains, they're attempting something grandiose.

Jim's thing is, as a GM, generally, this Horatio Alger/Hero's Journey thing. He focuses on heroes that are less experienced, that generally need to be a part of a team. When the Hawk ended it was by folding them into the CoJ. The sense was that they'd graduated. And Jim's villains tend to have smaller goals: controlling all of the gangs in New Orleans vs wanting to destroy all of England. And when Jim uses some of villains that, for the CoJ, are jobbers, they're a considerable threat.

And, we coordinate when we have to, and we actively try to get a sense that these things are different parts of the same world.

Andy doesn't coordinate. Andy doesn't want more players in Crusader Force than Neil, Jim, and me. And until last year, all three of us were RCU GMs. Andy likes to have surprise. Andy's never learned that not all surprises are good, especially in a supposedly shared continuity. And Andy's thing seems to be the mundanity of super beings.

The last time he ran, which was the Sunday after Thanksgiving, he had four villains, who had previously been a part of a coalition of half a dozen villain teams, just happen to be in a Minneapolis diner at 4 am, and they tossed another diner patron out a window for being clumsy. Right when Fantastic Dude was driving by at the end of his patrol.

He described the villains as being in civilian clothes, but clearly was using the stats for one of them being in his protective armor. And since said villain's weapon of choice is a radioactive axe, that protective armor really should be worn whenever he wields the axe. And of course, why he's bring a radioactive axe with him just to meet three friends for an incognito breakfast, or why said villains were even in Minneapolis were left unanswered.

The inattention to details about villains other people created is annoying.

The having the campaign run on coincidence and happenstance, and the super villains being as pathetically mundane as possible, it isn't bad or wrong. I have a good time in Andy's games. But as a part of a shared world... I pretty much have to turn that part of my brain off.

It reminds me of the way Bob Haney written/Murray Boltinoff edited stories featuring characters normally a part of the the Schwartz/Fox/Broome group just felt a little off. Like the Earth-One Wildcat.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:59 am

What about those stories felt "off"?

Ken

Post by Ken » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:25 am

Well, starting with Wildcat... Wildcat pretty much ceased being used by DC around 1950 or so, when his solo feature in the back of Sensation Comics ended. But because he did appear in two golden-age Justice Society stories, Fox and Schwartz brought Wildcat back, first in a Starman & Black Canary story in October 1965, and then as part of the JSA in October 1966. And in these stories he was, as a part of the Justice Society, he was explicitly an Earth-Two hero.

Except, the story goes, boxing was the favourite spectator sport for a lot of people at DC in the 1960s. Wildcat soon started appearing in "Batman and _________" stories in Brave & the Bold. But back then, Earth-One and Earth-Two weren't company policy. They were story elements used in the books edited by Julius Schwartz. Other DC editors of the time (Mort Weisinger, Jack Schiff, Murray Boltinoff, George Kashdan) steadfastly ignored the Earth-One/Earth-Two thing. So, when Wildcat teamed with Batman in Brave & the Bold, the two Earths thing was nowhere to be seen.

Generally, Wildcat was written consistently, as am aging boxer/hero, but, yet different, too.

In other cases, like Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, and the Atom it would just be small story details or characterisation bits.

Ken

Ion Storm

Post by Ken » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:15 pm

ImageImage

Ion Storm - PL 11

Strength 3, Stamina 5, Agility 6, Dexterity 4, Fighting 8, Intellect 3, Awareness 2, Presence 3

Advantages
Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Benefit, Security Clearance 2: PSB Strikeforce and prievious, Connected, Contacts, Equipment 8, Improved Critical 4: Ion Blast: Damage 14, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Teamwork, Well-informed

Skills
Acrobatics 1 (+7), Athletics 2 (+5), Close Combat: Unarmed 1 (+9), Deception 2 (+5), Expertise: Demolitions 7 (+10), Expertise: Military History 1 (+4), Insight 2 (+4), Intimidation 4 (+7), Investigation 2 (+5), Perception 2 (+4), Persuasion 4 (+7), Sleight of Hand 1 (+5), Technology 3 (+6), Treatment 3 (+6), Vehicles 1 (+5)

Powers
Ion Blast: Damage 14 (DC 29; Increased Range: ranged)
Ion Drive: Flight 8 (Speed: 500 miles/hour, 1 mile/round)
Ion Shield: Protection 9 (+9 Toughness; Impervious [4 extra ranks])

Equipment
Contribution to the Eclipse Flyer 2, Contribution to the Eclipse Observatory 2, Eclipse Communicator 1, Strikeforce Radio 1, Strikeforce Duty Belt 27, Strikeforce Flashlight 1, Strikeforce stuff Contributions 2

Offense
Initiative +10
Grab, +8 (DC Spec 13)
Ion Blast: Damage 14, +8 (DC 29)
Throw, +8 (DC 18)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 18)

Complications
Relationships: Ted is very close to his girlfriend / coworker Julie Wu, as well as the other members of the East Texas Strikeforce and Houston Police Department Bomb Squad.
Vulnerability: Ion Storm has trouble absorbing ionic energies. If he is attacked by ionic attacks, they get +2 to the Attack Check and +2 to the effect.
Watch Lists: As a parahuman with former government ties, Ion is watched by the Parahuman Security Bureau and a person of interest to Project Titan.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 8, Toughness 14, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 68 + Powers 66 + Advantages 27 + Skills 18 (36 ranks) + Defenses 11 = 190

Background When Ion Storm began his crime fighting career, he was a member of the Justice Squadron. When they broke up he worked on his own for a long while, although he did visit his former teammates Ruby, Elastiwoman, and Megaman a few times when they were with the Crusaders.

Eventually, Ted Washington joined the Houston Police Department as a member of their bomb squad, and shortly thereafter, Ion Storm became a part of Eclipse. Eventually, Washington transferred to the Houston PD's Parahuman Response Unit. When the federal Parahuman Security Bureau started PSB Strikeforce, Ted Washington revealed his former dual identity and was made the District Chief for eastern Texas.

Real World Stuff There was a whole slew of characters that Neil created during the early days of the Crusaders. My best guess is that since Andy had around a dozen PCs, Neil felt left out in all of the headquarters hi-jinx, so he added more. Ion Storm was created around that time, but ended up not joining the Crusaders. The vast majority of Neil's Crusader NPC heroes were female, owing to Neil recognising that otherwise the Crusaders were a sausage fest. I don't know if that's why Ion Storm didn't make the cut, but at least it was a possibility. I don't know, I remember visually designing and drawing the character at Neil's behest, and with his limited guidance. Though, at first Ted was white and a ginger. I'm not sure when Neil decided to make Ted black, but it was the right decision.

Since Neil had had his first Eclipse hero, Mentalus, killed off, when Eclipse round 3 ('91-'93) began, he needed a new hero for the team, and so Ted moved to Houston. During the years Jason ran Eclipse, Ion Storm was actually the team's real powerhouse. You see, in his Champions write-up, Ion Storm had a really high Recovery score. This meant he regained both Stun (hit points) and Endurance at a tremendous rate. Which gave him both great staying power in fights AND the ability to Push his powers regularly. Since Mutants and Masterminds has nothing really comparable to Endurance, this is hard to model.

The best I can think of would be a complication like "Ted will frequently risk exhaustion to get the job done", and thus every time he uses Extra Effort, he can earn a Hero Point, which would let him counter the Exhaustion. Somehow, this strikes me as abusive.

Neil gave up Ion Storm when he went on his walkabout, and Eclipse wouldn't be run again until after we switched systems, and by then, Neil had a different idea for a hero he wanted to play. Jason, though, who had always liked Ion Storm (even duplicating him for a completely different game), played Ted once or twice when Doug ran Eclipse again in the 2010s. However, he's mostly been relegated to an NPC, being put in charge of the Houston Strikeforce office.

Jabroniville

Re: Ken's Kache of Khracters (Ion Storm, Mecha Team of Nippon)

Post by Jabroniville » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:59 am

I dig the very "Silver Age" costume designs that pop up in this thread. It's harder to do than you'd think- I frequently have to just copy a real-life hero's costume and change the colors. My "Old-Style Costumes" all end up looking like 1970s Dave Cockrum designs (but worse, because Cockrum is too good at that).

I still find the racial dynamics of the RCU interesting, given that you're all white. Your track record is much better than Marvel's & DC's at that sort of thing.

I'm struck by Ion Storm's relative lack of powers- he gives the impression that he wasn't played for long. Most of the RCU characters have HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE sets for "Powers", and this guy doesn't even have any Alt-Effects!

Ken

Re: Ken's Kache of Khracters (Ion Storm, Mecha Team of Nippon)

Post by Ken » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:39 am

Jabroniville wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:59 am
I dig the very "Silver Age" costume designs that pop up in this thread. It's harder to do than you'd think- I frequently have to just copy a real-life hero's costume and change the colors. My "Old-Style Costumes" all end up looking like 1970s Dave Cockrum designs (but worse, because Cockrum is too good at that).

I still find the racial dynamics of the RCU interesting, given that you're all white. Your track record is much better than Marvel's & DC's at that sort of thing.

I'm struck by Ion Storm's relative lack of powers- he gives the impression that he wasn't played for long. Most of the RCU characters have HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE sets for "Powers", and this guy doesn't even have any Alt-Effects!
I'd be curious as to which ones you think are the most "Silver Age" looking. I sometimes worry about the designs looking too similar, at least from a stylistic standpoint. The simple truth is that my visual aesthetic is all over the RCU. Partially because something like 28.5% of the universe are my creations, but also because a huge portion of the remaining 81.5% have involved people saying "Ken, can you help me design something". There have certainly been better artists in the group, but among the core group I'm one of the few with anything resembling an artistic bent.

Racial dynamics... yeah, we were a little slow about it at first. In fact at least three characters have actually been altered from being white to something else. Ion Storm, as I said. Micron. And Powerball. In fact, Matt was a little funny about it because he did it at the same time Jim brought the Hawk into the RCU. At the end of the same "cosmic, time-bending story" that brought the Hawk in, Matt just started saying "Scott Montoya" instead of "Scott Munter".

Yeah, by RCU standards, Ion storm wasn't played that long. And, honestly, I don't think Neil ever felt the need to come up with alt-effects for him. He just worked on building up Ted's recovery. Ion storm flew around and blasted the shit out of things. He was really good at it. And Neil was happy. And I never told him that Ion Storm was to Eclipse, what Captain Miracle was for the Hawk. Yeah, he blasted rather than punched, but otherwise, we knew that if we had to hurt something un-hurtable in Eclipse, send in Ion Storm.

There's this evil archer in the RCU, called Black Arrow. And in Champions there are two kinds of "hit points", Stun (how much you can take before you're knocked out), and Body (how much you can take before you die). In a battle, Ion Storm/Neil didn't take into account that a lot of archer characters are Defense shifted. A dozen years later, people still refer to "Blackened Arrow".

Ken

Mentalus I

Post by Ken » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:40 am

Mentalus I - PL 11

Strength 3, Stamina 5, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 8, Intellect 5, Awareness 8, Presence 2

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Assessment, Benefit, Security Clearance: Choose Clearance, Benefit, Wealth (well-off), Connected, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 1, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Trip, Jack-of-all-trades, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Speed of Thought, Startle, Teamwork, Weapon Bind, Well-informed

Skills
Acrobatics 3 (+5), Athletics 2 (+5), Deception 4 (+6), Expertise: Bureaucratics 5 (+10), Expertise: Parahumans 1 (+6), Expertise: Survival 1 (+6), Insight 2 (+10), Intimidation 4 (+6), Perception 2 (+10), Persuasion 4 (+6), Ranged Combat: Telekinisis 4 (+6), Stealth 3 (+5), Vehicles 1 (+3)

Powers
Protective Uniform: Protection 1 (Removable, +1 Toughness; Impervious [5 extra ranks])
Martial Punch: Strength-based Damage 2 (DC 20; Accurate: +2)
Psionic Powers
. . Easy Telekinisis: Move Object 8 ([0 active, 33/33 PP, 4/r], 6 tons, DC 23; Damaging, Increased Range: perception)
. . Ego Attack: Damage 8 ([0 active, 33/33 PP, 4/r], DC 23; Alternate Resistance: Will, Increased Range 2: perception)
. . Mental Dominance: Mind Control 8 ([0 active, 33/33 PP, 4/r], DC 18)
. . Telekinisis: Move Object 11 ([11 active, 33/33 PP, 3/r], 50 tons, DC 26; Damaging)
. . Telepathy
. . . . Mental Communication 2 ([2 active, 33/33 PP, 4/r])
. . . . Mind Reading 11 ([11 active, 33/33 PP, 2/r], DC 21)
Telepathic Effects Array
. . Force of Personality: Enhanced Trait 16 (Traits: Presence +8 (+10); Tiring)
. . Mind Scan: Senses 8 (Extended: Mind Scan 4: x10k, Radius (Type): Mental, Tracking: Mental 2: full speed)
. . Uneasy Target
. . . . Enhanced Trait 11 (Traits: Dodge +5 (+14), Parry +6 (+14); Resistible: Will)
. . . . Enhanced Trait 2 (Traits: Will +2 (+16))

Equipment
Eclipse stuff 5

Offense
Initiative +13
Easy Telekinisis: Move Object 8 (DC 23)
Ego Attack: Damage 8 (DC Will 23)
Grab, +8 (DC Spec 13)
Martial Punch: Strength-based Damage 2, +10 (DC 20)
Mental Dominance: Mind Control 8 (DC Will 18)
Mind Reading 11 (DC Will 21)
Telekinisis: Move Object 11, +11 (DC 26)
Throw, +7 (DC 18)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 18)

Complications
Relationships: David is close to both his girlfriend Lisa Sheffield and his twin sister Lou
Weakness: David's sensitivity to brain impulses makes him vulnerable to electricity. Electric attacks vs Mentalus get +2 to hit, and +2 to the effect.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 14/9, Parry 14/8, Fortitude 6, Toughness 8/6, Will 16/14

Power Points
Abilities 70 + Powers 61 + Advantages 26 + Skills 18 (36 ranks) + Defenses 14 = 189

Background During the early 1940's, the world was dawning on a new day with an explosion of parahumans. Submerged in the bitter turmoil of World War II, the US Government determined that it would be in their best interest to try to manufacture more parahumans. To this end, scientists traveled to St. Louis where they set up shop at Maxwell Industries, a strong contributor to the war effort with their manufacturing of vacuum tubes. Providing medical care for the women who worked in the factory and the surrounding area, the scientists also introduced experimental chemicals intended to alter their genetics and encourage the development of parahuman abilities. After a year of treatments, the scientists switched over to observations and monitored for positive results. By this time, however, the war was drawing to a close and dedication to the creation of parahumans was decreased. Within five years, funds were cut significantly and the project was soon dubbed a failure when none of the subjects showed signs of parahuman abilities.

What the scientists didn't anticipate was the extended period of time that genetic manipulations would take given their limited resources. Instead of development that could be measured in years, it took decades for positive results to surface. The grandchildren of the original test subjects began displaying psychokinetic abilities, with a majority of the world's mentalists having a direct tie back to Project: Coffee.

It is unknown which of David York's grandmothers worked at Maxwell Industries during World War II, but at least one of them did. He and his twin sister, Louise, were both born with psionic abilities, primarily in the area of telepathy. Lou hated her powers, and just wanted to be normal. David, though, saw them as a gift, and shortly before their 18th birthday, David contacted the U.S. government about wanting to use his gift in the service of his country.

A few years later, a psionic super hero called Mentalus was working as a part of Freedom Force, as York had been assigned to a part of Project: Moonshot. Some years later, some of his teammates decided they had enough of black ops. Mentalus was sent to "persuade" them to not go public. David recognised the immorality of using his powers to force his teammates to do anything, so rather than stopping them, he joined their little rebellion.

He fought alongside the team that would become known as Eclipse for a time, though he found some of the other 'heroes' in Houston to be rather lacking. Eventually, one of these supposed "Eclipse allies", the Japanese swordwoman Ronin, killed Mentalus, decapitating him.

Real World Stuff Doug began Eclipse with the "members of a public super team that are really government black ops want to go public" story. And we were at school, and at first it was just Doug, Eric, and me (and as I described elsewhere, Doug helped us pick characters from my Unused Characters folder. However, it ended up running over several sessions, and one of them was during one of Neil's visits up to school. Suddenly, Neil needed a character, and thankfully, Neil also had an Unused Characters folder. Mentalus was chosen (most of the rest became Crusaders I think).

When "Eclipse round two" was started, Eclipse hadn't really come together as a formal team. So there were Sentinel and Mass Master and a bunch of new characters, played mostly by new or returning players. And some of Neil's visits to school overlapped with those sessions, so Mentalus was back. And one of these sessions proved really weird. This hodgepodge team was trying to take over the flagship of an alien armada. Basically, there were several 12 ft. robots, and half a dozen telepathic aliens who were piloting that had to be contended with.

Now, at this point, Mentalus was all telepathic, not at all telekinetic. Sentinel was and is, a little on the accuracy shifted side. Mass Master, of course was a brick. So were Billy Bob McGraw and Blitzer. And Ronin was a swordswoman who managed to be slightly damage shifted. So, guess who all of these damage-shifted brutes (save Mass Master) attacked when they got the chance? That's right, they ignored the robots, and pretty much turned the aliens into bloody smears. And as a telepath, Mentalus could do nothing to the robots. Neil, naturally, was miffed.

Neil used his XP to gain some telekinetic abilities, but ultimately, the dye was cast. Neil has a funny way of when a gaming session goes badly, even if it isn't his fault or the fault of his character, he associates the character with that memory and will give him up. But, given the haphazard way Doug had run Eclipse, Neil didn't have to give him up. The campaign just slipped into limbo.

Enter Jim, Doug's childhood bestie. Brand new to role-playing games. And after the White Knights didn't go as planned, and after the campaign with Capitan Neutron and Doppler failed to gel, Jim was ready to GM in the RCU. And his first story arc was a mastermind arranging for heroes to be killed all over the country. This didn't work out so well, since there weren't that many characters that the players he had at that point wanted to kill off just because they weren't being used. However... Ronin's player, Sandy, was out of the picture, and based on how Sandy played Ronin, the "reveal" that Ronin had been a villain all along wasn't a hard sell. And Neil wanted rid of Mentalus. This was his way to really feel like he'd been able to "quit" playing him.

Ken

Mentalus II

Post by Ken » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:41 am

Mentalus II - PL 11

Strength 3, Stamina 4, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 2, Intellect 4, Awareness 7, Presence 2

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Assessment, Benefit, Wealth (well-off), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 3, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Trip, Jack-of-all-trades, Power Attack, Speed of Thought, Startle, Teamwork, Weapon Bind, Well-informed

Skills
Acrobatics 3 (+5), Athletics 2 (+5), Deception 4 (+6), Expertise: Bureaucratics 1 (+5), Insight 2 (+9), Intimidation 4 (+6), Investigation 2 (+6), Perception 2 (+9), Persuasion 4 (+6), Ranged Combat: Telekinisis 9 (+11), Stealth 3 (+5), Treatment 1 (+5), Vehicles 1 (+3)

Powers
Protective Uniform: Protection 1 (Removable, +1 Toughness; Impervious [4 extra ranks])
Psionic Powers
. . Ego Attack: Damage 8 ([0 active, 0/33 PP, 4/r], DC 23; Alternate Resistance: Will, Increased Range 2: perception)
. . Mental Dominance: Mind Control 8 ([0 active, 0/33 PP, 4/r], DC 18)
. . Telekinisis: Move Object 11 ([0 active, 0/33 PP, 3/r], 50 tons, DC 26; Damaging)
. . Telepathy
. . . . Mental Communication 2 ([2 active, 0/33 PP, 4/r])
. . . . Mind Reading 11 ([11 active, 0/33 PP, 2/r], DC 21)
Telepathic Effects Array
. . Force of Personality: Enhanced Trait 14 (Traits: Presence +7 (+9); Tiring)
. . Mind Scan: Senses 7 (Extended: Mind Scan 4: x10k, Radius (Type): Mental, Tracking: Mental 1: -1 speed rank)
. . Uneasy Target
. . . . Enhanced Trait 11 (Traits: Dodge +6 (+14), Parry +5 (+14); Resistible: Will)
. . . . Enhanced Trait 2 (Traits: Will +2 (+14))

Offense
Initiative +12
Ego Attack: Damage 8 (DC Will 23)
Grab, +2 (DC Spec 13)
Mental Dominance: Mind Control 8 (DC Will 18)
Mind Reading 11 (DC Will 21)
Telekinisis: Move Object 11, +11 (DC 26)
Throw, +2 (DC 18)
Unarmed, +2 (DC 18)

Complications
Responsibility: Lou wants to maintain her twin brother's legacy
Rivalry: Lou competes with Peter Reinhardt, who is also trying to maintain Mentalus' legacy
Weakness: Lou's sensitivity to brain impulses makes her vulnerable to electricity. Electric attacks vs Mentalus get +2 to hit, and +2 to the effect.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 14/8, Parry 14/9, Fortitude 6, Toughness 8/5, Will 14/12

Power Points
Abilities 52 + Powers 55 + Advantages 19 + Skills 19 (38 ranks) + Defenses 20 = 165

Background Louise ("Lou") York was David York's fraternal twin. And like her brother, she was born with mental powers. However, she was not born with a super heroine's physique. She's a trifle homely, a little mannish, and flat as a pancake. If telepathy lets you "hear" the things that polite people think but don't say, it won't help your self-confidence.

Still, after her brother was killed, she sought justice for him, and donned a similar costume to become Mentalus II. And she quickly ran into Peter Reinhardt, also calling himself Mentalus II. It was the more personable Reinhardt who first met and fought alongside Eclipse. Lou would do so later. Eventually, the two Mentaluses II fought, and the result left them both in retirement for a time. Peter has been seen working as Mentalus III, within the past few years. Lou has stayed retired, whereabouts unknown.

Real World Stuff So, what happens in comics when a hero dies? More often than not, someone will come along and take up the name. Doug considered himself Mentalus' GM, even if he wasn't running Eclipse that year. And Neil hadn't consulted Doug about killing Mentalus off. So, Doug didn't consult Neil about his plan to introduce Mentalus' sister.

Doug only told me that he was going to bring in a second Mentalus, and that was only because he asked me to design the new outfit, and base it on the old (which actually had also been one of mine). And Doug asked me, specifically, to use a specific art template. He wanted me to use the not-so-muscular male template. It was the same one David had been on, so I didn't give it any thought.

You know what they say about the best laid plans? Louise York never got used (I'll get to that). Considerably later, Doug told us (at least Jim and me) what he had had planned. He was going to introduce Mentalus' somewhat mannish sister. I believe he was even going to have her play at being a man. And Jim and I both thought that this was a clever idea, and one, while done in teen movies, hadn't really been done in comics. But she was apocryphal. (To be continued...)

Ken

Mentalus III

Post by Ken » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:42 am

Mentalus III - PL 11

Strength 3, Stamina 4, Agility 4, Dexterity 4, Fighting 4, Intellect 2, Awareness 6, Presence 3

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Beginner's Luck, Defensive Roll 4, Evasion, Improved Aim, Improved Initiative 2, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Taunt

Skills
Acrobatics 1 (+5), Athletics 2 (+5), Deception 7 (+10), Expertise: David York 4 (+6), Intimidation 2 (+5), Investigation 1 (+3), Perception 2 (+8), Persuasion 7 (+10), Ranged Combat: Mental Power 4 (+8), Sleight of Hand 2 (+6), Stealth 1 (+5), Technology 2 (+4), Treatment 1 (+3), Vehicles 2 (+6)

Powers
Mental Power
. . Mental Blast 8 (DC 23)
. . Mind Control 8 (DC 18)
. . Other Effects: Variable 4 (Action 2: free, Stacks with: Miscellaneous: Variable 1; Limited: Telekinetic and Telepathic Effects Only)
. . Telekinetic Walls: Create 10 (Volume: 1000 cft., DC 20; Movable, Subtle 2: invisible)
. . Telekinisis: Move Object 10 (25 tons, DC 25; Damaging, Precise)
Mental Scanning: Senses 3 (Radius (Type): Telekinetic Touch, Ranged: Telekinetic Touch)
Miscellaneous: Variable 1 (Action 2: free; Limited: Telekinetic and Telepathic Effects Only)
Protective Suit (Removable)
. . Protection 3 (+3 Toughness; Impervious [4 extra ranks])

Offense
Initiative +12
Grab, +4 (DC Spec 13)
Mental Blast 8 (DC Will 23)
Mind Control 8 (DC Will 18)
Telekinisis: Move Object 10, +12 (DC 25)
Throw, +8 (DC 18)
Unarmed, +4 (DC 18)

Complications
Obsession: Peter Reinhardt is obsessed with David York/Mentalus
Rivalry: Peter competes with Lou York, who is also trying to maintain Mentalus' legacy.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 11, Parry 11, Fortitude 5, Toughness 11/7, Will 15

Power Points
Abilities 60 + Powers 55 + Advantages 16 + Skills 19 (38 ranks) + Defenses 24 = 174

Background Peter Reinhardt has never revealed why he idolized David York/Mentalus. It is known that he, too, is the grandchild of a wartime Maxwell Industries employee. And some months after Mentalus I was killed, Peter went to Houston to work with Eclipse, hoping to find justice for their mutual friend. He called himself Mentalus II.

Sometime later, he would meet another person calling himself Mentalus II. Or herself. And they disagreed mightily over which one could use the "Mentalus II" name. They disagreed so mightily that the resulting confrontation left them both out of the business for a long time. However, during the adventure when the future Legion of Champions came back in time 20 or so years, Reindhardt was back in action, but as Mentalus III. Since he hasn't been seen since, and time was altered, it is unclear if his un-retirement was permanant, or unique to that time ripple.

Real World Stuff Wisconsin Bob had started gaming with us. And he was present at a weekend long gaming session where one of the games was part of the third round of Eclipse. And he needed a character, stat. Doug was prepared to introduce Mentalus II; he had the character sheet, complete with costume ready to go. And he set aside his ideas, and Bob played Mentalus II. Bob gave Mentalus II the civilian name he wanted, and after his first session, Bob even designed a new costume for the character. It was now his character, he gave him his own costume.

And Eclipse Round Three ended. And Bob wasn't a part of Tim's brief go at Eclipse, or Jason's lengthy one. And, at somepoint over all these years, Doug told Jim and I what he'd originally had planned for Mentalus II.

In 2011, Neil loaned me a copy of DC Adventures that he had bought. Neil buys lots of role-playing games, most of which he never plays. And from there began the great Champions-to-M&M Conversion. [I mean six years later, its still going on, because people keep finding old character sheets.] So we were going through hundreds of character sheets. And the thing was, I actually had THREE Mentalus II character sheets. Two of them were Bob's, with Bob's costume design, and some differences in powers. And one of them was the character sheet I had drawn for Doug all those years ago. And because Doug had told me what he had planned< knew I was really looking at character sheets for two different characters.

Back when posting the White Masks, I explained...
Ken wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:55 pm
we went through a "let's streamline the universe" phase, so a number of characters who'd had minimal appearances and impact were disavowed.

Much later, we realised the streamlining didn't work because too many of us remembered too many different things. So, things we disavowed came back.
I talked to Jim, and we decided this was one of those times. Bob's Mentalus II hadn't been that memorable, and Doug's idea stood out in our mind better. But, as I said, too many of us remembered too many different things. So, in the post-streamlining "no everything is back in, if a little tweaked" we acknowlegde both Mentalus II characters, and the second one has been labeled 'Mentalus III.'

Thanks to Photoshop I've made some edits to my Mentalus II drawing. I've tried to make her looks a little more feminine, but not overly.

Jabroniville

Re: Ken's Kache of Khracters (Mentalus I, II, III; Ion Storm)

Post by Jabroniville » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:30 am

OK, I did a quick lookover of the guys- here goes:

Golden Age-looking designs:
Ham Mulligan's caped look (well, duh)
Mister Might
Sentinel

Silver Age-looking designs:
Captain Miracle
Neutron Man
Zero Man
Eidolon
Morning Star
Powerball
Shockwave
Starlord
Turbo
Wheel of Fortune
Backlash
Messenger II
Ion Storm

1970s-looking designs:
Emerald Knight
White Mask
Graviton
Keymaster
Dragon
Riptide
Whirlwind
Spectrum
Banshee
White Tiger

1980s-looking designs:
Colonel Victory (but like... an '80s version of what a Golden Age costume looks like)
Neon
Dr. Technon
Guardian & Shrike
Major Marvel
Micron
Fireforce
Osprey
Prophecy
Silver Bullet

Assorted:

Count Zero

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:53 am

The Mentalus story is pretty interesting- as the characters saw little play, they have little depth of character, so the "Real World Backstory" is of course by far the most fascinating point :).

Funny how "Reboots NEVER Work!" is a thing even in gaming sessions between relatively-small groups of people. Comic book companies should NEVER try it. People bouncing too many ideas and misremembering things is bound to occur.

So you only found out about the backstory for Mentalus II years after the fact? Curious.

Now I'm interested in the story behind Ronin.

Ken

Post by Ken » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:35 pm

Jabroniville wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:30 am
OK, I did a quick lookover of the guys- here goes:
Golden Age-looking designs:
Ham Mulligan's caped look (well, duh) - mine
Mister Might - mine
Sentinel - mine

Silver Age-looking designs:
Captain Miracle - mine
Neutron Man - mine
Zero Man - someone at DC in the 90s
Eidolon - Jason's
Morning Star - mine
Powerball - Matt's
Shockwave - Neil and me together
Starlord - mine (Stellar Lad), Jenn's (Timestar), mine (current)
Turbo - mostly mine
Wheel of Fortune - Eric and me together
Backlash - Matt's
Messenger II - me working off what Luke did
Ion Storm - mine

1970s-looking designs:
Emerald Knight - mine
White Mask - er... which one? Blue with full face mask is mine. Black with eye mask was me and Jim together.
Graviton - Dawn's
Keymaster - mine
Dragon - Eric and me together
Riptide - mine
Whirlwind - Lynda's
Spectrum - mine
Banshee - Sandy's
White Tiger - Jeff's with a few touches by me

1980s-looking designs:
Colonel Victory (but like... an '80s version of what a Golden Age costume looks like) - mine
Neon - mine
Dr. Technon - mine with input from Neil
Guardian & Shrike - Terry, Jim, and me
Major Marvel - Katie M.'s
Micron - mine
Fireforce - Jim's mostly
Osprey - mine
Prophecy - Jenn's
Silver Bullet - Wendy's mostly, with a few embellishments by me

Assorted:
Count Zero - Doug's