Ken's Kache of Khracters (too many Hydronauts and Devilfishes)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Ken's Kache of Khracters (Druid, Pteetian, Samson, Girrigan)

Post by Jabroniville » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:32 am

Wow, another super-powerful guy with Lots And Lots of Powers. Growth, Healing, Create Object, TK and Flying Brick powers seems like a real grab-bag/superpower lottery thing.

This isn't the first Quebecois guy in your campaign world- is there a reason for them being somewhat common?

How come your online gaming thing didn't last? Just the nature of online gaming (ie. it starts quick and then peters out)?

Ken

Post by Ken » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:03 am

Jabroniville wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:32 am
Wow, another super-powerful guy with Lots And Lots of Powers. Growth, Healing, Create Object, TK and Flying Brick powers seems like a real grab-bag/superpower lottery thing.
Yeah. Paul created him for the Champions of Justice, my JLA or Avengers type game, and specifically the on-line game was going to be set in space, so, yeah, he was created to be very powerful.
Jabroniville wrote:
This isn't the first Quebecois guy in your campaign world- is there a reason for them being somewhat common?
So, it started in high school, when, I realised that there really was no reason for villains to stop at the Canadian/U.S. border, so I added some Canadian heroes to my homebrew universe (not the gaming world which came later.) One of them was la Chatte Noire, from Montreal. And, as I recounted back in 2016, la Chatte Noire became a big f---ing deal in my gaming group.

So, that's where it started. Neil brought her into his corner of the RCU and then moved her into mine. This made Quebec a recurring factor. And given how long things have gone on, it means we noticed when, in 1995, in the real world, there was a referendum about Quebec sovereignty that was like 50.6% against. That's damn close.

And then, when Neil started the Knights of Justice, he wanted it to be the super-team of Montreal (I was pushing for something more like 'the super-team of eastern Canada'.) This resulted in more characters with Canadian, and particularly Quebecois, characters. A few previously established characters even had Quebecois backgrounds grafted onto them, just because the players wanted to use the characters in that campaign.

And then there was Tim. Tim's father is a Canadian national, although he's lived in the U.S. for the past 50 years. Tim's older sister actually holds dual citizenship, having an American mother but being born in Canada. Tim, understandably, sometimes gets Canada on the brain. Which meant that when Tim got on a creative jag, and wanted to add a slew of NPC heroes, the RCU got even more Canadians.

And so it went, Longbow was Canadian. We absorbed a briefly run campaign set in Vancouver, giving us the Advocate and others.

Then there is a villain team in the RCU called the International Organisation to Gain World Power, or IOGWP. (In person we actually say /eye-ah-gwip/.) And, at one point, I started giving them some real thought. It occurred to me that while super-powered terrorists make fine villains, why would they keep using that method when it kept failing? So, I started a story where they started taking over places subtley. The story is still going on. And there is a powerful French mentalist on the team that has basically used her powers to become the most politically powerful person in France. But then there's the matter of bringing the matter where it was personal.

As I said, I noticed the barely failed referendum back in 1995. Why wouldn't the most powerful woman in France, who has her eye on global domination, not use her influence to push that kind of referendum over the tipping point, and give her power and influence in the "independent" sovereign nation of Quebec? And, making that serperation happen, makes the situation more personal for the Quebecois and Canadian PCs.

And, it gave me reason to introduce more Quebecois heroes, or add Quebecois backstories to characters who were backstory-less. Like Templar. He was introduced in 2002. Paul didn't give him much of a backstory. But it was only 15 months ago that I decided to make him Quebecois. Paul named him Wayne de Monterand. I was trying to figure out where a name like that would be likely. 'Wayne' sounds English; 'de Monterand' sounds French. Obviously, anywhere in North America north of the Rio Grande might work, but I knew which would tie him in best to my big picture story that's still going on.
Jabroniville wrote:
How come your online gaming thing didn't last? Just the nature of online gaming (ie. it starts quick and then peters out)?
Mostly. And because, as near as I can tell, the RCU and the CoJ can be fairly intimidating. A long established world with 100s of heroes, 100s of villains. The attrition rate in the on-line game was high.
Does a Winnie poo in the 100-acre wood?

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:53 am

Fascinating backstory, as always- thanks for the clarification :). So Quebec separated due to the influence of a Frenchwoman? Kind of fitting, though Quebec is often treated like uncultured hillbillies by France, which sees it as a "former colony". Though Charles de Gaulle is credited/blamed for the Quebec Separatist movement with his "Vive la France! Vive la Quebec!" speech.

Oddly, despite the referendum in the '90s, the Frontier de Liberation du Quebec (FLQ) hit its peak around the 1970s, and even murdered people. The October Crisis in 1970 was a big to-do, with Prime Minister Trudeau (the current PM's father) infamously declaring the War Measures Act (essentially, martial law) in Quebec, taunting a reporter with "just watch me", when asked how far he'd go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_Crisis

Lucien Bouchard, leader of the separatist Bloc Quebecois in the '90s, is the one who nearly got Quebec sovereignty. When the Conservative Party collapsed in the '90s, the PQs were actually the Official Opposition for one term! However, failing to get sovereignty damaged them, and then Conservative leader Jean Charest switched parties and ran as a Liberal in Quebec, winning the role of Premier (leader of a province)- this basically killed what was left of the movement.

Thinking about how different Canada would be today if the separatists had won is a fascinating thing, though. Most people are pretty sure that the Quebecois economy would be in tatters, and also probably make a mess of the Maritime provinces.

Ken

Hydronaut (Nicholas Jones)

Post by Ken » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:48 am

the second and current uniform of Hyrdonaut.

Hydronaut I (mark 2) - PL 12

Strength 10, Stamina 6/4, Agility 5, Dexterity 3, Fighting 5, Intellect 5, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Benefit: Passport, Close Attack 2, Close Attack 3, Eidetic Memory, Favored Environment: Aquatic, Improved Aim, Inventor, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Well-informed

Skills
Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+7), Deception 2 (+4), Expertise: Diving 3 (+8), Expertise: Science 3 (+8), Expertise: Weaponsmith 3 (+8), Investigation 1 (+6), Perception 2 (+4), Persuasion 2 (+4), Ranged Combat: Weapon Systems 5 (+8), Technology 5 (+10), Treatment 1 (+6), Vehicles 3 (+6)

Powers
Natural Swimmer: Swimming 1+7 ([Stacking ranks: +7], Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round; Stacks with: Swimming 7+1)
Diving Suit (Removable)
. . Enhanced Strength 7 (+7 STR, Advantages: Close Attack 2)
. . Immunity 4 (Environmental Condition: Heat, Environmental Condition: Cold, Environmental Condition: High Pressure, Environmental Condition: Vacuum)
. . Mass of the Suit: Density Growth 1 (+1 STR, +1 STA, +1 mass rank, Advantages: Favored Environment: Aquatic; Density; Permanent)
. . Protection 10 (+10 Toughness; Impervious)
Enriched Life Support System (Removable)
. . Enhanced Trait 4 (Traits: Stamina +2 (+6))
. . Immunity 2 (Suffocation (All))
Helmet (Removable)
. . Head Protection: Immunity 2 (Critical Hits; Unreliable (roll))
. . Sensors: Senses 6 (Extended: Hearing 2: x100, Low-light Vision, Radio, Ultra-hearing, Ultravision)
. . Sonar: Senses 3 (Extended: Sonar 2: x100, Ranged: Touch)
Hydro-impeller (Removable)
. . Leaping 6 (Leap 500 feet at 120 miles/hour; Limited: Must Start in the Water)
. . Swimming 7+1 ([Stacking ranks: +1], Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round; Stacks with: Natural Swimmer: Swimming 1+7)
Weapon Systems (Removable)
. . Gyrojets
. . . . Gyrojets: Damage 9 (DC 24; Accurate: +2, Increased Range: ranged, Multiattack, Penetrating 5)
. . Sonic Stunner
. . . . Stunner: Blast 11 (DC 26; Alternate Resistance: Fortitude)
. . Volt Torpedoes
. . . . Electric Discharge: Burst Area Blast 12 (Linked; DC 27; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 22; Quirk: If used in air, burst is only a 5 ft. radius, Unreliable (5 uses))
. . . . Physical Missile: Blast 9 (Linked; DC 24; Accurate: +2; Unreliable (5 uses))

Offense
Initiative +5
Electric Discharge: Burst Area Blast 12 (DC 27)
Grab, +10 (DC Spec 20)
Gyrojets: Damage 9, +15 (DC 24)
Physical Missile: Blast 9, +15 (DC 24)
Stunner: Blast 11, +13 (DC Fort 26)
Throw, +8 (DC 25)
Unarmed, +12 (DC 25)

Complications
Enemy: Nicholas wants to severely punish Lester Hatch and Herbert Bendedict for stealing his and Devilfish's armor and discrediting them within the villain community. He also has a deep-sea-ded hatred of Riptide.
Police Record: Hydronaut¹ is wanted by local and federal law enforcement agencies.
Quirk: His love and study of the ocean fuels his aquatic themed crimes.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 9, Toughness 16, Will 6

Power Points
Abilities 54 + Powers 82 + Advantages 15 + Skills 16 (32 ranks) + Defenses 13 = 180

Hydronaut I (mark 1) - PL 11

Strength 10/4, Stamina 6/5, Agility 5, Dexterity 3, Fighting 5, Intellect 5, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Benefit: Passport, Close Attack 2, Close Attack 3, Eidetic Memory, Favored Environment: Aquatic, Improved Aim, Inventor, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Well-informed

Skills
Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+7), Deception 2 (+4), Expertise: Diving 3 (+8), Expertise: Science 3 (+8), Expertise: Weaponsmith 3 (+8), Perception 2 (+4), Persuasion 2 (+4), Ranged Combat: Weapon Systems 4 (+7), Technology 5 (+10), Treatment 1 (+6), Vehicles 3 (+6)

Powers
Natural Swimmer: Swimming 1+6 ([Stacking ranks: +6], Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round; Stacks with: Swimming 6+1)
Diving Suit (Removable)
. . Enhanced Trait 12 (Traits: Strength +6 (+10), Dodge -1 (+7), Parry -1 (+7), Advantages: Close Attack 2)
. . Immunity 4 (Environmental Condition: Heat, Environmental Condition: Cold, Environmental Condition: High Pressure, Environmental Condition: Vacuum)
. . Mass of the Suit: Density Growth 2 (+2 STR, +2 STA, +2 mass ranks, Advantages: Favored Environment: Aquatic; Density; Permanent)
. . Protection 9 (+9 Toughness; Impervious)
. . Enhanced Trait 3 (Traits: Stamina +1 (+6), Fortitude +1 (+10))
Helmet (Removable)
. . Sensors: Senses 6 (Extended: Hearing 2: x100, Low-light Vision, Radio, Ultra-hearing, Ultravision)
. . Leaping 5 (Leap 250 feet at 60 miles/hour; Limited: Must Start in the Water)
. . Swimming 6+1 ([Stacking ranks: +1], Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round; Stacks with: Natural Swimmer: Swimming 1+6)
. . Gyrojets
. . . . Gyrojets: Damage 8 (DC 23; Accurate: +2, Increased Range: ranged, Multiattack, Penetrating 5)
. . Sonic Stunner
. . . . Stunner: Blast 10 (DC 25; Alternate Resistance: Fortitude)
. . Volt Torpedoes
. . . . Electric Discharge: Burst Area Blast 10 (Linked; DC 25; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 20; Quirk: If used in air, burst is only a 5 ft. radius, Unreliable (5 uses))
. . . . Physical Missile: Blast 8 (Linked; DC 23; Accurate: +2; Unreliable (5 uses))

Offense
Initiative +5
Electric Discharge: Burst Area Blast 10 (DC 25)
Grab, +10 (DC Spec 20)
Gyrojets: Damage 8, +14 (DC 23)
Physical Missile: Blast 8, +14 (DC 23)
Stunner: Blast 10, +12 (DC Fort 25)
Throw, +8 (DC 25)
Unarmed, +12 (DC 25)

Complications
Police Record: Hydronaut is wanted by local and federal law enforcement agencies.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 7/8, Parry 7/8, Fortitude 10/9, Toughness 15, Will 6

Power Points
Abilities 54 + Powers 76 + Advantages 15 + Skills 15 (30 ranks) + Defenses 13 = 173

Background: Nicholas Jones' background before he became Hydronaut is unknown. An engineer of some skill, he originated the Hydronaut identity, and built the first and second versions of the Hydonaut armour.

Real World Stuff: My friend Neil created Hydronaut to be an aquatic villain, and designed the visuals for the bulky, but impressive looking armour.

Ken

Devilfish (Damien Newton)

Post by Ken » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:49 am

the second, more recent uniform of Devilfish.

Devilfish I (mark 2) - PL 11

Strength 11, Stamina 3, Agility 4/1, Dexterity 5, Fighting 6/3, Intellect 6, Awareness 3, Presence 2

Advantages
Benefit: Passport, Close Attack 2, Favored Environment: Underwater, Inventor, Power Attack, Well-informed

Skills
Acrobatics 1 (+5), Close Combat: Unarmed 3 (+9), Deception 1 (+3), Expertise: Cybernetics 2 (+8), Expertise: Diving 2 (+8), Expertise: Navigation 1 (+7), Expertise: Science 2 (+8), Insight 1 (+4), Intimidation 2 (+4), Perception 1 (+4), Persuasion 1 (+3), Stealth 1 (+5), Technology 4 (+10), Treatment 2 (+8), Vehicles 2 (+7)

Powers
Natural Swimmer: Swimming 1+8 ([Stacking ranks: +8], Speed: 250 miles/hour, 0.5 miles/round; Stacks with: Swimming 3+6, Stacks with: Swimming 5+4)
Glider Membrane (Removable)
. . Flight 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round; Gliding, Wings)
. . Swimming 3+6 ([Stacking ranks: +6], Speed: 250 miles/hour, 0.5 miles/round; Stacks with: Natural Swimmer: Swimming 1+8, Stacks with: Swimming 5+4)
Musculo-Fibre Suit (Removable)
. . Enhanced Strength 8 (+8 STR, Advantages: Favored Environment: Underwater)
. . Enhanced Trait 14 (Traits: Dodge +1 (+10), Parry +1 (+10), Agility +3 (+4), Fighting +3 (+6))
. . Immunity 5 (Environmental Condition: Cold, Environmental Condition: High Pressure, Environmental Condition: Heat, Suffocation (All))
. . Leaping 4 (Leap 120 feet at 30 miles/hour)
. . Senses 4 (Low-light Vision, Radio, Ultra-hearing, Ultravision)
. . Sonar: Senses 2 (Extended: Sonar 1: x10, Ranged: Touch)
. . Swimming 5+4 ([Stacking ranks: +4], Speed: 250 miles/hour, 0.5 miles/round; Stacks with: Natural Swimmer: Swimming 1+8, Stacks with: Swimming 3+6)
Stinger: Blast 13 (Removable, technological, vibration, DC 28; Accurate 2: +4)

Offense
Initiative +4
Grab, +8 (DC Spec 21)
Stinger: Blast 13, +9 (DC 28)
Throw, +5 (DC 26)
Unarmed, +11 (DC 26)

Complications
Enemy: Damien wants to severely punish Lester Hatch and Herbert Bendedict for stealing his and Hydronaut's armor and discrediting them within the villain community. He also has a deep-sea-ded hatred of Riptide.
Police Record: Devilfish¹ is wanted by local and federal law enforcement agencies.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 10/9, Parry 10/9, Fortitude 6, Toughness 12, Will 6

Power Points
Abilities 52 + Powers 81 + Advantages 6 + Skills 13 (26 ranks) + Defenses 14 = 166

Devilfish I (mark 1) - PL 11

Strength 10, Stamina 3, Agility 3/1, Dexterity 5, Fighting 5/3, Intellect 5, Awareness 3, Presence 2

Advantages
Benefit: Passport, Close Attack 4, Defensive Roll 2, Favored Environment: Underwater, Inventor, Power Attack, Well-informed

Skills
Acrobatics 1 (+4), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+7), Deception 1 (+3), Expertise: Cybernetics 3 (+8), Expertise: Diving 3 (+8), Expertise: Navigation 2 (+7), Expertise: Science 3 (+8), Insight 1 (+4), Intimidation 2 (+4), Perception 1 (+4), Persuasion 1 (+3), Technology 5 (+10), Treatment 3 (+8), Vehicles 2 (+7)

Powers
Natural Swimmer: Swimming 1+7 ([Stacking ranks: +7], Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round; Stacks with: Swimming 2+6, Stacks with: Swimming 5+3)
. . Flight 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round; Gliding, Wings)
. . Swimming 2+6 ([Stacking ranks: +6], Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round; Stacks with: Natural Swimmer: Swimming 1+7, Stacks with: Swimming 5+3)
. . Enhanced Strength 7 (+7 STR, Advantages: Favored Environment: Underwater)
. . Enhanced Trait 12 (Traits: Dodge +2 (+10), Parry +2 (+10), Agility +2 (+3), Fighting +2 (+5))
. . Immunity 5 (Environmental Condition: Cold, Environmental Condition: High Pressure, Environmental Condition: Heat, Suffocation (All))
. . Protection 7 (+7 Toughness; Impervious)
. . Swimming 5+3 ([Stacking ranks: +3], Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round; Stacks with: Natural Swimmer: Swimming 1+7, Stacks with: Swimming 2+6)

Offense
Initiative +3
Grab, +9 (DC Spec 20)
Throw, +5 (DC 25)
Unarmed, +11 (DC 25)

Complications
Police Record: Devilfish is wanted by local and federal law enforcement agencies.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 10/8, Parry 10/8, Fortitude 6, Toughness 12/10, Will 6

Power Points
Abilities 50 + Powers 52 + Advantages 10 + Skills 15 (30 ranks) + Defenses 14 = 141

Background: Dr. Damien Newton's background before he became Devilfish is unknown. An engineer of some skill, he originated the Devilfish identity, and built the first and second versions of the Devilfish armour.

Real World Stuff: When I created Devilfish, I was inspired by Marvel's Stingray character, Walter Newell. A devilfish is a name used for a couple of differnt kinds of mantas/rays.

I also recalled a two page bit in an issue of Batman (circa #256, from 1974), which featured several three-panel 'origins' of Bruce Wayne in different circumstances, being startled by something, and taking it as an omen. Bruce Wayne becoming the Scorpion, the Iron Knight, the Owl, etc. And one of them was a Stingray. This led to my including some Batman type elements into Devilfish's 'look'.

When circumstances necessitated creating a new bit of Devislfish armour, adding a yellow oval to the devilfish chest logo.

Ken

Hydronaut II and Devilfish II (Les Hatch and Herb Benedict)

Post by Ken » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:51 am

Imagethe second Hydronaut in the first uniform of the original Hydronaut.
Imagethe second Devilfish in the first uniform of the original Devilfish.

Hydronaut II - PL 10

Strength 11/5, Stamina 5, Agility 3, Dexterity 3, Fighting 4, Intellect 0, Awareness -1, Presence 2

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Close Attack 2, Close Attack 3, Favored Environment: Aquatic, Improved Aim, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5

Skills
Deception 2 (+4), Expertise: Diving 3 (+3), Insight 2 (+1), Perception 4 (+3), Persuasion 2 (+4), Ranged Combat: Weapon Systems 2 (+5), Technology 5 (+5), Treatment 1 (+1), Vehicles 3 (+6)

Powers
Diving Suit (Removable)
. . Enhanced Trait 12 (Traits: Strength +6 (+11), Parry -1 (+6), Dodge -1 (+6), Advantages: Close Attack 2)
. . Mass of the Suit: Density Growth 2 (+2 STR, +2 STA, +2 mass ranks, Advantages: Favored Environment: Aquatic; Density; Permanent)
. . Enhanced Trait 3 (Traits: Stamina +1 (+6), Fortitude +1 (+9))
Helmet (Removable)
. . Leaping 5 (Leap 250 feet at 60 miles/hour; Limited: Must Start in the Water)
. . Swimming 6 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round)
. . Gyrojets
. . . . Gyrojets: Damage 8 (DC 23; Accurate: +2, Increased Range: ranged, Multiattack, Penetrating 5)
. . Sonic Stunner
. . Volt Torpedoes
. . . . Electric Discharge: Burst Area Blast 10 (Linked; DC 25; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 20; Quirk: If used in air, burst is only a 5 ft. radius, Unreliable (5 uses))
. . . . Physical Missile: Blast 8 (Linked; DC 23; Accurate: +2; Unreliable (5 uses))

Offense
Initiative +3
Electric Discharge: Burst Area Blast 10 (DC 25)
Grab, +9 (DC Spec 21)
Gyrojets: Damage 8, +12 (DC 23)
Physical Missile: Blast 8, +12 (DC 23)
Stunner: Blast 10, +10 (DC Fort 25)
Throw, +8 (DC 26)
Unarmed, +9 (DC 26)

Complications
Enemy: Nicholas Jones - the original Hydronaut - wants to severely punish Lester and Herbert for stealing his and Devilfish's armor and discrediting them within the villain community. Riptide is also out to get them.
Police Record: Hydronaut II is wanted by local and federal law enforcement agencies.
Relationship: Lester is in love with Herbert Benedict.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 6/7, Parry 6/7, Fortitude 8, Toughness 14, Will 5

Power Points
Abilities 34 + Powers 75 + Advantages 11 + Skills 12 (24 ranks) + Defenses 16 = 148

Devilfish II - PL 10

Strength 11, Stamina 4, Agility 2/0, Dexterity 2, Fighting 7/5, Intellect 0, Awareness -1, Presence 3

Advantages
Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Favored Environment: Underwater, Improved Defense, Power Attack, Takedown, Teamwork

Skills
Acrobatics 1 (+3), Athletics 1 (+12), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+9), Deception 2 (+5), Expertise: Diving 2 (+2), Insight 1 (+0), Intimidation 2 (+5), Perception 3 (+2), Persuasion 2 (+5), Stealth 3 (+5), Technology 3 (+3), Treatment 1 (+1), Vehicles 3 (+5)

Powers
. . Swimming 2+5 ([Stacking ranks: +5], Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round; Stacks with: Swimming 5+2)
. . Enhanced Strength 7 (+7 STR, Advantages: Favored Environment: Underwater)
. . Enhanced Trait 12 (Traits: Dodge +2 (+9), Parry +2 (+9), Agility +2 (+2), Fighting +2 (+7))
. . Swimming 5+2 ([Stacking ranks: +2], Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round; Stacks with: Swimming 2+5)

Offense
Initiative +2
Grab, +7 (DC Spec 21)
Throw, +2 (DC 26)
Unarmed, +9 (DC 26)

Complications
Enemy: Dr. Damien Newton - the original Devilfish - wants to severely punish Lester and Herbert for stealing his and Hydronaut's armor and discrediting them within the villain community. Riptide is also out to get them.
Police Record: Devilfish II is wanted by local and federal law enforcement agencies.
Relationship: Herbert is in love with Lester Hatch.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 9/7, Parry 9/7, Fortitude 6, Toughness 11, Will 6

Power Points
Abilities 34 + Powers 51 + Advantages 6 + Skills 13 (26 ranks) + Defenses 14 = 118

Background: Herbert Benedict and Richard Hatch are a pair of criminals, and lovers, who managed, while both Nicholas Jones and Damien Newton were incarcerated, to steal the Hydronaut and Devilfish uniforms from a police impound facility. They proceeded to use the suits, pretending to be Jones and Newton.

Ken

The Sad Saga of Hydronaut and Devilfish.

Post by Ken » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:52 am

The Sad Saga of Hydronaut and Devilfish.

*sigh*

Hydronaut and Devilfish were created several months apart, and with no real connection other than a similar modus operandi. I knew I wanted Devilfish to be one of Riptide's personal foes. Eventually, it finally became assumed that Hydronaut was one as well, given that Riptidfe had become the most prominent aquatic hero in the RCU.

Then came the New Crusaders. The New Crusaders game was run by my friend Andy. And it was set in Denver, Colorado. You know, the mile-high city. The one thousands of miles from the Atlantic, the Pacific, and the Gulf of Mexico. Andy decided, without checking with anyone, to have Hydronaut and Devilfish fight the New Crusaders. In f**king Denver.

Catsi posted this in the Jabverse game earlier...
catsi563 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:06 pm
"Adrian is right we can't take these guys in numbers and if we're near or on water well be massacred easily. But we won't draw them too far from the water either, they know it's their strength and wont want to give that advantage up. We need to entice them with something they want, and set it in a location just close enough to the water to entice them away from it but not far enough away that they balk at the prospect."
The emphasis was added by me. Andy didn't think about any of that kind of stuff. Andy thought, "they look cool; Devilfish reminds me of Batman" and "their powersuits would make them super even away from the water."

So, suddenly Devilfish and Hydronaut were a duo, ignoring their estanlished modus operandi, and getting their asses kicked in Denver.

I was livid. One of the things about having several GMs in a shared universe, is that if one uses someone else's creation, one should a) be consistent about characterisation, and b) try to leave them in roughly the same condition they were in when you borrowed them. Leaving them in jail, that's not a big deal.

Basically, Andy flanderised them into versions of the characters that made no sense with the established details.

Therefore, I created Herb Benedict and Les Hatch. They were named for 2 characters from "WKRP in Cincinatti", and two actors from the original "Battlestar Galactica". And implicitly they were given the flanderised personalities that Andy had given them. I don't remember if it was me or Jason (when he used them), who decided to make the partnership between the two something more personal.

I also made it clear that Les and Herb needed to avoid Damien and Nick.

Jump ahead a decade and a half. Andy was now running Crusader Force. In Minneapolis. At least Minnesota is known for having "10,000 Lakes". By now, he knew not to try to use the originals. But he also didn't want to use the replacements he had inspired. So, now arbitrarily, he decided a "behind the scenes super-villain engineer" called "Mr. Q." had somehow managed to get his hands on the plans to the Devilfish and Hydonaut armours, and sold them to two new guys.

I can't tell you jack about the two new guys, other than I think Andy was using the mach 2 versions of the suits (which was ignored). So, I ran some stories where multiple people in Hydronaut and/or Devilfish armours were turning up murdered (by Nick and Damien). Including Herb and Les. And eventually, even Damien turned up dead. Killed by Hydronaut, who blames Damien for the fact that Mr. Q. could get their dwsigns.

I would've killed of Nicholas Jones as well, except, I didn't create him, so I won't kill him. Trying to leave him in the same condition, as I found him in.

Most recently, I had multiple Hydronauts and Devilfishes show up in the emply of one Captain Kraken. I was trying to make it clear that the these two supervillains have been watered down enough that anything special about them is gone.

Ken

Captain Kraken's Hydronaut and Devilfish henchmen

Post by Ken » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:53 am

ImageImage

Kraken's Devilfishes - PL 9

Strength 9, Stamina 2, Agility 4/2, Dexterity 5, Fighting 6/5, Intellect 0, Awareness 0, Presence 1

Advantages
Languages 3

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+6), Close Combat: Big Stick 1 (+7), Close Combat: Unarmed 3 (+9), Intimidation 3 (+4), Ranged Combat: Battle Stave 2 (+7), Ranged Combat: Electro Blast 3 (+8), Technology 3 (+3), Vehicles 3 (+8)

Powers
. . Swimming 2+5 ([Stacking ranks: +5], Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round; Stacks with: Swimming 5+2)
. . Electro-Blast: Damage 10 (DC 25; Increased Range: ranged)
. . Enhanced Strength 7 (+7 STR)
. . Enhanced Trait 9 (Traits: Dodge +1 (+9), Parry +2 (+9), Agility +2 (+4), Fighting +1 (+6))
. . Immunity 10 (Custom: EMP 5, Environmental Condition: Cold, Environmental Condition: High Pressure, Environmental Condition: Heat, Suffocation (All))
. . Swimming 5+2 ([Stacking ranks: +2], Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round; Stacks with: Swimming 2+5)

Offense
Initiative +4
Electro-Blast: Damage 10, +8 (DC 25)
Grab, +6 (DC Spec 19)
Throw, +5 (DC 24)
Unarmed, +9 (DC 24)

Complications
Motivation: Greed
Police Record: Captain Kraken's Pirates are wanted by international law enforcement agencies.

Languages
[Italian], English, French, Greek, Spanish

Defense
Dodge 9/8, Parry 9/7, Fortitude 4, Toughness 9, Will 3

Power Points
Abilities 34 + Powers 68 + Advantages 3 + Skills 10 (20 ranks) + Defenses 10 = 125

====================================================================================================

Kraken's Hydronauts - PL 9

Strength 10/4, Stamina 4, Agility 2, Dexterity 5, Fighting 5, Intellect 0, Awareness 0, Presence 1

Advantages
Languages 3

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+4), Close Combat: Big Stick 1 (+6), Close Combat: Unarmed 3 (+8), Intimidation 3 (+4), Ranged Combat: Battle Stave 2 (+7), Ranged Combat: Weapon Systems 3 (+8), Technology 3 (+3), Vehicles 3 (+8)

Powers
Diving Suit (Removable)
. . Enhanced Trait 10 (Traits: Strength +6 (+10), Parry -1 (+5), Dodge -1 (+5))
. . Immunity 9 (Custom: EMP 5, Environmental Condition: Heat, Environmental Condition: Cold, Environmental Condition: High Pressure, Environmental Condition: Vacuum)
. . Mass of the Suit: Density Growth 2 (+2 STR, +2 STA, +2 mass ranks; Density; Permanent)
Helmet (Removable)
. . Swimming 6 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round)
. . Gyrojets
. . Sonic Stunner
. . Volt Torpedoes
. . . . Electric Discharge: Burst Area Blast 9 (Linked; DC 24; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 19; Quirk: If used in air, burst is only a 5 ft. radius, Unreliable (5 uses))

Offense
Initiative +2
Electric Discharge: Burst Area Blast 9 (DC 24)
Grab, +5 (DC Spec 20)
Gyrojets: Damage 8, +10 (DC 23)
Physical Missile: Blast 8, +10 (DC 23)
Stunner: Blast 10, +8 (DC Fort 25)
Throw, +5 (DC 25)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 25)

Complications
Motivation: Greed
Police Record: Captain Kraken's Pirates are wanted by international law enforcement agencies.

Languages
[Italian], English, French, Greek, Spanish

Defense
Dodge 5/6, Parry 5/6, Fortitude 6, Toughness 13, Will 3

Power Points
Abilities 34 + Powers 75 + Advantages 3 + Skills 10 (20 ranks) + Defenses 10 = 132

Jabroniville

Re: Ken's Kache of Khracters (too many Hydronauts and Devilfishes)

Post by Jabroniville » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:28 am

Andy thought, "they look cool; Devilfish reminds me of Batman" and "their powersuits would make them super even away from the water."

So, suddenly Devilfish and Hydronaut were a duo, ignoring their estanlished modus operandi, and getting their asses kicked in Denver.

I was livid. One of the things about having several GMs in a shared universe, is that if one uses someone else's creation, one should a) be consistent about characterisation, and b) try to leave them in roughly the same condition they were in when you borrowed them. Leaving them in jail, that's not a big deal.
I dunno- Random Villain Team-Ups is pretty common in comics. The only issue for me here is the whole "running around outside of water". But even that can be explained away as "LOL there's no superheroes HERE- we can be free of Riptide!" Seems like you took this moment of annoyance and slaughtered all of the subsequent characters and those linked to them out of spite for this perceived slight.

How come only Devilfish I uses the "Stinger"?

Ken

Re: Ken's Kache of Khracters (too many Hydronauts and Devilfishes)

Post by Ken » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:30 pm

Jabroniville wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:28 am
I dunno- Random Villain Team-Ups is pretty common in comics. The only issue for me here is the whole "running around outside of water". But even that can be explained away as "LOL there's no superheroes HERE- we can be free of Riptide!" Seems like you took this moment of annoyance and slaughtered all of the subsequent characters and those linked to them out of spite for this perceived slight.

How come only Devilfish I uses the "Stinger"?
Random villain team-ups are fine. But the "LOL there's no superheroes HERE- we can be free of Riptide!" was dead wrong. Free of Riptide, sure. But this was well after the New Crusaders had been established. It was more of "We can be free of Riptide, and the local hero team will only outnumber us three-to-one."

And for 15-20 years, having two Hydronauts & two Devilfish served the universe fine. There were the proper theme villains, who acted like mad scientist theme villains, whether together or separate. And then there was the pair that actively rejected being theme villains, and were routinely small-time villains showing very poor judgement.

People only started dying after the decision was made "anyone can be a Hydronaut or a Devilfish if they buy the powersuits off the dark web." It was at that point that the characters were reduced to ciphers. It took the rejection of characterization to a whole new level.

The reason why only Devilfish I uses the "Stinger" is because it was a late additional to his arsenal. When I first designed Devilfish, back in '89, it wasn't there. Which means when Devilfish II showed up, Devilfish II didn't have it. When I was redesigning Devilfish I (i.e. saying he was building himself a new suit), I added it then, as a suit upgrade. Devilfish II lacks the technical skills to incorporate something similar into the old suit.

Any subsequent Devilfish are using the mass produced Devilfish uniforms, and since I want it clear that the mass produced suits are based on the original suit, they don't have the later upgrade either.