The World In The Aftermath (Formerly A World Less Magical)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Voltron64

Re: A World Less Magical But No Less Fantastic

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:28 pm Her story began in the 19th century, in Ireland, but quickly moved to London, where she lived a life of not-all-that-quiet desperation as one of the streetwalkers of the East End. No, she wasn't one of the ones you may have heard about, but she knew some of them. That was the reason why, one night in 1892, when she saw a man running down an alley in a panic, she knew him for who he was. Whatever fear she might have felt was smothered by a rage she'd never imagined she could feel.

She chased him, not knowing what she was going to do to the murderer of her friends when she caught him, but knowing that she had to do to this. She followed him through a door where no door should be, and emerged somewhere else. Various things then transpired. A few years later, another door opened, an ocean's distance away in the city of Nashville, and the woman named Jolene walked out of it, made beautiful and terrible by her experiences on the other side, and began to carve out her reputation.
"Necessity is a great goddess. It is not I who refuse."

-Callimachus, Hymn 4 to Delos 122 (trans. Mair) (Greek poet circa 3rd B.C.)

You have a flair for dread, Davies. A real flair.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Devilray

As far back as he can remember, he always wanted to be a pirate. Born just over thirty years ago, under the name Masul Ebrahim in Davoul City on the island of Mindanao in the Philippines, his youth was not a happy one, and he escaped from these years by listening to the 'heroic' tales of the pirates of the Sulu Sea. They were the embodiment of the vigor and excitement that was so lacking in his life, and he vowed to himself and to Allah that one day he would join them and have his name become a legend as well. And, in his late teens, after years spent training to build himself up from the weak and feeble child he had been, his dream came true.

Gradually, through a combination of his own skill and the attrition of other leaders among the pirate bands that included him -- some of which he may have arranged himself -- he became a leader among them, able to recruit a dozen men for their exploits. They robbed, raided, kidnapped and ransomed. The only thing that distinguished the groups under his command was an absolute and iron command from Ebrahim that they were not to assault women in a sexual manner. It should not be thought that this was due to any tender feelings for women on his part; he was vocal about his disgust for them, but also believed that rapine was a distraction that his men did not need.

In 2006, Ebrahim was one of several pirates, from all over the world, who were contacted by an unknown patron, outfitted with advanced weaponry and given training to launch an attack on the superhero Nereus, on the same day that a number of other assaults on superheroes both well-known and obscure took place. Ebrahim expected the job to be a relatively simple one, given their numbers and the weapons at their disposal, and looked forward to a large payout at the mission's end.

He never even fired a shot when they finally confronted the aquatic man, who smashed through them like they were made from bubble wrap, sending many of them flying off of the ship into the water. Ebrahim was stunned at the sight of him. Later, as he floated in the sea, the cold making the pain of his bruises fade, he would reach a conclusion. He had to kill this man. No matter what happened, this man must die for what he had done.

His mysterious employer, who was an agent of Billie Zane's organization, was more than happy to assist him in acquiring the weapons Ebrahim would need to do this, resulting in him gaining and learning to use a suit of turbofan-equipped armor that would allow him to move in air and water, and give him the strength to match that of Nereus. It's only been fairly recently that Ebrahim has learned who his actual employer is. How he rationalizes his contempt for women with the fact that he must, by his sense of honor, accept orders that ultimately come from a woman is known only to him, but it seems likely that he's just biding his time until he can make a break from the organization's oversight.

Until then, however, he accepts various missions that take him to all parts of the world to rob, raid, kidnap and ransom. In a lot of ways, his job has not changed. But now he usually works alone, especially during the times that he especially cherishes, when he is free to seek out his vengeance on Nereus. He has never succeeded in his goal, of course, and never even seriously harmed his foe, but he will never stop trying until he succeeds. Then, order will finally be restored to the universe, and he will stop having dreams of that first battle, surely.

He will never accept that he is trying to kill a part of himself that will not die until he does.

Devilray - PL 10

Abilities:
STR
11/2 | STA 3 | AGL 2 | DEX 3 | FGT 5 | INT 0 | AWE 1 | PRE 2

Powers:
Diving Suit: Removable (-17 points)
* Armored Shell: Protection 9, Impervious 5 - 14 points
* Devil Rays: Array (18 points)
  • Lethal Setting: Ranged Damage 9 - 18 points
  • Stun Setting: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 6 (Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated) - 1 point
* Exoskeleton: Enhanced Strength 9; Movement 1 (environmental adaptation--aquatic) - 20 points
* Life Support: Immunity 10 (life support)
* Sensors: Senses 5 (accurate extended hearing, radio, ultra-hearing) - 5 points
* Turbofans: Flight 9 (1000 MPH), Aquatic - 19 points

Advantages:
Favored Environment (Aquatic), Improved Hold, Languages 3 (Arabic, English, Spanish, others, [native]), Leadership, Move-by Action, Ranged Attack 4

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+15/+6), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+9), Expertise: Criminal 8 (+8), Intimidation 6 (+8), Investigation 6 (+6), Perception 8 (+9), Ranged Combat: Devil Rays 4 (+7), Technology 6 (+6), Vehicles 6 (+9).

Offense:
Initiative +2
Unarmed +9 (Close Damage 11/2)
Lethal Devil Ray +11 (Ranged Damage 9)
Stun Devil Ray +11 (Ranged Fortitude 6)

Defense:
Dodge 7, Parry 8, Fortitude 6, Toughness 11/2, Will 7

Totals:
Abilities 36 + Powers 70 + Advantages 10 + Skills 26 + Defense 17 = 159 points

Complications:
Vengeance--Motivation. Misogyny. Obligation
(to Billie Zane).
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:20 pm It's only been fairly recently that Ebrahim has learned who his actual employer is. How he rationalizes his contempt for women with the fact that he must, by his sense of honor, accept orders that ultimately come from a woman is known only to him, but it seems likely that he's just biding his time until he can make a break from the organization's oversight.
There's also the matter that's he's likely just appropriately terrified of her. Like if he ever tried punching down on her, he'd die a humiliating and messy death.

Have he and The Corsair ever encountered each other?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:31 pm Have he and The Corsair ever encountered each other?
Not as yet. And you're right about him being afraid of her, but he probably can't accept that, either.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Llogres

Quite recently, Prydwen found herself 'housesitting' for Blakestone while she and Nick were in Australia for some esoteric purpose or other. The notion of posting a guard on a building that no one can enter without the owner's explicit permission struck her as slightly absurd, but its wisdom was soon demonstrated when it became apparent that this forbiddance didn't prevent someone from entering the House of Riddles from an unconventional direction. Prydwen barely had time to get her shield in the way of the intruder's mighty spear, with the clash of the two potent relics creating an unearthly din. When it at last faded, the Last Knight of Camelot realized that she was facing off with a woman with the mirror image of her face.

Prydwen had not heard, then, of the journey that Paragon had taken to and from a world where a handful of historical differences had produced a familiar yet strangely different group of superhuman champions. While her counterpart halted her attack once she realized whom she was fighting, the other woman showed no inclination to discuss the situation, or say anything, for that matter. (Later, when she had become slightly more vocal, it became clear that she had no more understanding of the causes of this situation.) She was clearly observing and learning from her circumstances, just as Johanna would, but did not speak until several hours had passed. The first word to pass her lips was her nomme de guerre -- Llogres.

Gradually, over the next few days, Llogres revealed her history. It was much like Prydwen's tale, up to a point -- that point being when this other Johanna's father had actually taken an interest in her training, and presented her with his own fabled lance, Rhongomiant, where the local Johanna had only ever been given a few terse words of praise from her father, and claimed her shield as a battle trophy. After that point, their stories were again much the same, until the point where they freed Morgan from his crystal cave.

In Prydwen's world, that was when the callous old mage sent her more than a thousand years into the future. But in Llogres' world, he chose otherwise, perhaps because of the confidence that the girl's father had shown in his choice of gifts. He pushed her into the crystalline matrix that had imprisoned him, giving her to a dreamless sleep until such time as he had need of her. 'Such time' came frequently over the years, decades, and centuries that followed. Perhaps as a consequence, Morgan's attempts to extend his own life were more fruitful, and he eventually retreated from the world into a shadow realm of his own creation, becoming known to all by the name associated with his legend.

This constant cycle of being awakened, sent into battle, and then returned to sleep caused Johanna's mind to wither, somewhat. She speaks very little, focusing all her effort on the pursuit of whichever enemy her Merlin sends her after. She can seem cold and unfeeling, yet there is a buried vein of kindness in her that becomes most apparent when she is dealing with animals, whom she seems better able to relate to than she can with people.

In her world's 2012, she was once again awakened and sent to hunt down a target chosen by Merlin, but matters turned out somewhat differently than they usually did. While she was able to find and eliminate her foe, her master was too distracted by other matters to return her to her slumber, leaving Llogres to her own devices. By the time that he was able to command her, she no longer cared to obey such commands. Merlin pragmatically chose to grant her some freedom rather than risk losing such an effective weapon in his arsenal. And so she became her own master for the first time in centuries.

Beyond this account of her origins, Llogres wouldn't speak much of her life. It's clear that she knows the woman called Snow, Blakestone's counterpart, and also obvious, from her reaction to meeting Nick, that there's someone much like him in her life. But none of this was pertinent to the tactical or strategic problem of returning her to her own world, and so she chose to focus on that, instead. The problem was ultimately solved when Blakestone fiddled with the House of Riddle's dimensional boundaries until Llogres was drawn back to her world of origin, then further altering them to make this episode less likely to recur.

Less likely, of course, is not the same thing as impossible, as Prydwen of all people is well aware.

Llogres -- PL 10

Abilities:
STR
8 | STA 8 | AGL 5 | DEX 3 | FGT 9 | INT 2 | AWE 6 | PRE 4

Powers:
Runic Armor: Immunity 21 (own powers, mental effects), Subtle; Impervious Protection 3, Subtle; Removable (-6 points) - 23 points
Spear of Wounding: Array (16 points); Easily Removable (-6 points), Indestructible
  • Close Combat: Strength-based Damage 3, Improved Critical 4, Reach - 1 point
  • Ranged: Ranged Damage 8 - 16 points
Superhuman: Leaping 3 (60 feet); Regeneration 2; Speed 3 (16 MPH) - 8 points

Advantages:
All-out Attack, Animal Empathy, Beginner's Luck, Daze (Intimidation), Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Jack-of-all-Trades, Language 2 (English, Greek, Latin, Welsh, [Brythonic is native]), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Startle, Weapon Break, Weapon Bind.

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+14), Acrobatics 6 (+11), Deception 9 (+13), Expertise: Magic 6 (+10), Expertise: Survival 8 (+10), Insight 6 (+12), Intimidation 9 (+13), Perception 6 (+12), Persuasion 5 (+9), Ranged Combat: Thrown Spear 6 (+9), Stealth 7 (+12).

Offense:
Initiative +9
Unarmed +9 (Close Damage 8)
Spear +9 (Close Damage 11, Crit 16-20)
Thrown Spear +11 (Close Damage 8)

Defense:
Dodge 8, Parry 9, Fortitude 10, Toughness 11/8, Will 10

Totals:
Abilities 90 + Powers 43 + Advantages 16 + Skills 37 + Defenses 9 = 195 points

Complications:
Justice--Motivation. Fish Out of Water. Subject to Authority
(Merlin) Taciturn. Wanted by the Authorities.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Good work, Davies.

Seeing as that is apparently the last new character you'll be posting on this thread till Boxing Day, I wish you a nice break and leave to relax and keep making updated profile on your Google Drive.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:38 pm Good work, Davies.

Seeing as that is apparently the last new character you'll be posting on this thread till Boxing Day, I wish you a nice break and leave to relax and keep making updated profile on your Google Drive.
I'm sorry, I was unclear. I'm not going on my break until the second week of November.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

My mistake, I missed that part.

Though come to think of it, you do owe us stats for Nick Grey.
Davies

Post by Davies »

On Monday, I'll be back with a trip to New Orleans, followed by a character based out of Baltimore, then trips to China and Japan. Nick, and Maureen Summerisle, will be coming up after that.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Maybe include the Discovery Company after them (mentioned in El Diablo Rojo's profile)?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Yyyep.

Edit: Make that the third week in November, I miscounted.
Davies

Post by Davies »

The Veil

Until his powers came on all at once in 2008, when he was fifteen, Larry Vincent had no idea that he was a mutant. None of his family had every had any sort of exposure to mysterious substances as far as they knew, and the source of his powers was a complete mystery to them. Well, possibly not all of them; Larry's father later claimed that his own father, named Lamont for a friend of his long-dead grandparents, had smiled in a somewhat cryptic manner when he heard the news, and later joined his voice to the representative from the Academy in urging his son and daughter-in-law to send their child to Wales. Whatever the old man knew went with him to his grave, two years later.

Regardless, Larry was packed off to the Academy, where he learned the many ways that he could use the mysterious, shadow-like substance that he was able to conjure. He wasn't the best student, and probably earned more than his share of reprimands for getting into trouble on and off campus, but no one could question the courage -- the somewhat impetuous courage -- that he brought to his team-ups with his fellow students. That quality, and his unique powers, resulted in him becoming the first graduate from the Academy to be offered membership in the Powerhouse.

He turned it down. He claimed that all he wanted, for the moment, was to go back home to New Orleans and reconnect with his family and friends, and that he wasn't sure about continuing as a superhero. This was of course a lie, and not a particularly believable one, but the Powerhouse accepted it nonetheless, with Paragon assuring him that the invitation would remain open for as long as needed. Larry thanked him, but knew that his shadowy nature wouldn't really fit in well with the brightly colored costumes of the rest of the team.

He did go home, and spent a while exploring his old home town. While things were better than they had been in his memories of the years right after Katrina, there were still a lot of problems. Well, if it was easy, they wouldn't need a superhero, now would they? He developed the identity of the Veil over the next few months, and embarked on his career in October of 2013.

While the Veil's powers are purely paraphysical in nature, with no mystical component, Larry has taken the time to learn as much about Afro-Caribbean religion and magic as he can. Mostly this is because his most frequent opponent has been the crime lord known as Simon Legendre, who claims -- possibly even truthfully -- to be a decades old bokor who was employed in Haiti's notorious Tonton Macoute. The Veil isn't sure how much of his own hype the gangster believes, but Legendre clearly does have genuine powers ... but these have been successfully opposed by other practitioners of this tradition who've lent their aid to the Veil, in thanks for his help in the past.

He recently made peace with another recurring enemy, the super-villainess Black Velvet, after they were forced to join forces against a Saturn kill team sent after them. Black Velvet, who has similar powers to his own, has decided that she's much too old for these games now that she's in her fifties, and has retired back to Memphis to spend more time with her kids and her mother. As the balance of favors owed and owing between them following their team-up leans somewhat in her direction, the Veil has decided to just take this as a win.

In combat, the Veil generally prefers to hang back and use ranged attacks when possible. He does have a reasonable level of hand-to-hand combat training, and his shadow powers can deflect and absorb most powers, but he remembers getting beat up a lot despite these advantages when he was a student. He's still a fearless champion who strikes fear into the hearts of evil-doers, but he has learned a bit of caution as he's grown up.

The Veil -- PL 10

Abilities:
STR
0 | STA 2 | AGL 4 | DEX 3 | FGT 3 | INT 2 | AWE 3 | PRE 2

Powers:
Shadow Control: Array (18 points)
  • Shadow Bind: Cumulative Ranged Affliction 6 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Will; Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobilized), Extra Condition, Limited Degree - 1 point
  • Shadow Bolt: Ranged Damage 8, Accurate 2 - 18 points
  • Shadow Images: Perception Ranged Affliction 9 (Resisted and Overcome by Will; Entranced, Compelled, Controlled), Limited to fleeing or cowering in terror - 1 point
  • Shadow Shroud: Ranged Burst Area Visual Concealment 4 Attack - 1 point
Shadowform: Concealment 4 (visual), Limited to areas of shadow or darkness; Feature (shadows conceal identity) - 5 points
Shadowshield: Enhanced Defenses 8 (Dodge 4, Parry 4); Immunity 10 (light effects); Sustained Impervious Protection 4 - 26 points
Shadowstep: Extended Teleport 7, Medium (shadows) - 14 points

Advantages:
Close Attack 4, Contacts, Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Fearless 2, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Startle

Skills:
Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+7), Expertise: Streetwise 6 (+8), Expertise: Theology 4 (+6), Intimidation 7 (+9), Investigation 4 (+6), Perception 4 (+7), Ranged Combat: Shadow Control 5 (+8), Sleight of Hand 4 (+7), Stealth 4 (+8).

Offense:
Initiative +4
Unarmed +11 (Close Damage 0)
Shadow Bind +8 (Ranged Affliction 6, Resisted by Dodge)
Shadow Bolt +12 (Ranged Damage 8)
Shadow Images -- (Perception Range Will 9)
Shadow Shroud -- (Ranged Burst Area Concealment 4, Resisted by Will)

Defense:
Dodge 9/5, Parry 8/4, Fortitude 5, Toughness 11/7/2, Will 9

Totals:
Abilities 38 + Powers 66 + Advantages 14 + Skills 21 + Defense 11 = 150 points

Complications:
Justice--Motivation. Enemy
(Simon Legendre). Secret Identity.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

He meant to be a potential Pregenerated PC judging by that PP build?

Also, I grinned a little at this part.
Davies wrote:Larry's father later claimed that his own father, named Lamont for a friend of his long-dead grandparents, had smiled in a somewhat cryptic manner when he heard the news, and later joined his voice to the representative from the Academy in urging his son and daughter-in-law to send their child to Wales
All Larry Vincent needs now is a twin pair of .45s, wouldn't he? ;)

Really, it's not a bad concept, a grim urban vigilante-type with a non-traumatic backstory and personal life.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:16 pm He meant to be a potential Pregenerated PC judging by that PP build?
Nope, just worked out that way. I suppose I could give him Insight 4 (+7) to bump him up 2 more points.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Machinanima

Even in mad science, many of the greatest discoveries are not the products of lone geniuses having single moments of inspiration, but rather long periods of extensive labor to which many brilliant minds contribute. Such is the case of the invention of the android superhero known as Machinanima, or Emil Rossum to use his civilian identity.

The road to his creation began in 1999, when Valerian Rossum developed a thesis that combined the earliest published work on androtics, dating from the mid-60s, with Andre LaFontaine's more recent publications about memory metals and memory plastics, which had been employed in the empowerment of Trouble. The third major source for Rossum's theories was the research he'd assisted in compiling while a grad student employed at the Morrison Institute, a study of how the Omnivore's powers worked, conducted during the villain's brief incarceration during the early 90s. From these diverse sources, Rossum believed that he could create an android which would be able to imitate the super-powers of any opponent, becoming an incredibly adaptive combatant in the process.

Unfortunately, while his theory was convincing and persuasive, the aftermath of Cerebron's attack had a decidedly chilling effect on androtic research of all sorts. Unable to find sponsors for his work, Valerian turned to crime in order to obtain the funds he needed to realize his goals. Unfortunately, he was a much better scientist than a criminal mastermind, and wound up caught by Argus almost immediately, and was promptly turned over to the authorities, tried and packed off to jail.

Except that was an elaborate fiction woven by Billie Zane. Her interest in androtics was very limited, preferring non-humanoid and completely mechanical robots as she did, but she decided that Rossum's talents would make a fine addition to the conspiracy that she was weaving. A willing patsy was found to take Rossum's place in the dock and later in prison, with the man himself going to work for Argus under a false name.

Early on in his employment, Rossum and Zane had a brief discussion about his android, whose creation had plateaued even with the greater resources he could access. Essentially, he was unable to create a power supply to fuel the power duplication process. Zane casually outlined some experiments that she'd recently conducted with extradimensional energy sources -- which would later power her Warsuit. It is now believed that this conversation and the diagrams sketched on a napkin probably saved Valerian more than a decade of work.

But it didn't seem that way at the time, for by the time that Zane launched her coup in 2006, Rossum had still not managed to get his prototype up and running. He was captured by Argus -- for real this time -- and tried once again for his original crimes and for what he'd done in support of the coup, including a few things for which he was basically scapegoated. Sent to prison, he will likely not be considered for potential release until 2028. The android prototype was also taken into Argus custody and stored in one of their warehouses in Ireland.

As it turned out, Valerian had made a crucial error in his calculations about how long it would take his creation's batteries to charge, drawing from their extradimensional sources. Instead of a few weeks to fully charge, it took about seven years. In 2013, the android awoke inside the aforementioned warehouse, and naturally attempted to escape from what he viewed as a prison. As it happened, a number of students from the Academy were on a field trip to that warehouse, and both prevented him from doing much damage and rescued him from the somewhat overzealous response by Argus to his escape attempt.

Subsequently, Exelion used some of his clout to persuade Argus' directors to let the android become a student at his Academy, employing their aid to create the identity of Emil Rossum. Machinanima, to use his heroic alias, proved to be a talented if not particularly brilliant student, and graduated with respectable grades five years later. With his public identity's American citizenship -- not strictly a lie, as he was entirely constructed in the United States and could be said to have been 'born' there, despite having spent his entire infancy and childhood abroad -- he returned there to begin his career as a superhero.

He has settled in Baltimore, as it didn't have a native superhero of its own. Machinanima has since learned that this is likely the result of enemy action by the somewhat notorious House of Ashe, a group of local mutant criminals who claim to be descendants of the Usher family whom Poe wrote about. He's failed to make much of an impact on their activities as of yet, though it's only been two years. Roderick Ashe, the family's head, has developed a rather clever strategy for dealing with this new adversary -- he sends only mundane criminals after him, rather than superpowered mercenaries whom Machinanima would be able to imitate.

As Emil Rossum, Machinanima has also made a few friends in Baltimore, most notably a young woman named Penny Lane, who's gone through a rather startling variety of jobs in just the past two years. Penny is well aware of Rossum's true nature, and supports and encourages his attempts to develop a more human attitude. He doesn't necessarily want to become human -- his existence does have certain advantages -- but he does want to be accepted as a person by the general public. That is probably going to take a long time, but he has it to spend.

Machinanima -- PL 9

Abilities:
STR
2 | STA -- | AGL 2 | DEX 2 | FGT 2 | INT 2 | AWE 2 | PRE 2

Powers:
Android Body: Immunity 30 (Fortitude); Protection 8 - 38 points
Power Duplication: Variable 10 (another person's powers), Limited to targets that can be accurately perceived, Cannot duplicate technological powers, Perception Check Required (DC 15) - 64 points
Semblance: Morph 1 (human form); Enhanced Morph 2, Limited to individuals whose power has been copied - 13 points

Advantages:
Assessment, Eidetic Memory, Evasion, Hide in Plain Sight, Jack-of-all-Trades, Skill Mastery (Insight)

Skills:
Close Combat: Unarmed 6 (+8), Deception 6 (+8), Insight 6 (+8), Investigation 6 (+8), Perception 6 (+8), Stealth 6 (+8).

Offense:
Initiative +2
Unarmed +8 (Close Damage 2)

Defense:
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude Immune, Toughness 8, Will 9

Totals:
Abilities 18 + Powers 115 + Advantages 6 + Skills 18 + Defense 18 = 176 points

Complications:
Acceptance--Motivation. Enemy (the House of Ashe.) Prejudice (android.) Relationship (Penny Lane.)