The World In The Aftermath (Formerly A World Less Magical)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Voltron64

Re: A World Less Magical But No Less Fantastic

Post by Voltron64 »

I still would up his STR by 1. (The part where he killed a guy by hurling a pipe was a thing that actually happened.)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I liked how you combined Arnold's second most famous Movie(besides Terminator) with Rock N'Roll's filecard.Thought for certain you'd use Hawk.....
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Voltron64 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:24 am I still would up his STR by 1. (The part where he killed a guy by hurling a pipe was a thing that actually happened.)
That could be argued as a Hero Point use.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

MacynSnow wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:33 am
Voltron64 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:24 am I still would up his STR by 1. (The part where he killed a guy by hurling a pipe was a thing that actually happened.)
That could be argued as a Hero Point use.
Touche.
Davies

Post by Davies »

MacynSnow wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:32 am I liked how you combined Arnold's second most famous Movie(besides Terminator)
<cough>Predator<cough>
<cough>True Lies<cough>
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:48 am
MacynSnow wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:32 am I liked how you combined Arnold's second most famous Movie(besides Terminator)
<cough>Predator<cough>
<cough>True Lies<cough>
<cough>Conan<cough>
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

.....Ok, Technically not his most famous, but it WAS Alyssa Milano's(she was his kid)!
Davies

Post by Davies »

Ken Griffin

Born in Belgium to American citizens, educated (in a conventional manner) in the United Kingdom, and frequently accompanying his parents -- both soldiers of fortune -- wherever they were deployed in any given month; such was the life of Kenneth Griffin (1953-1992). To their credit, Robert and Katherine Griffin hoped that their only child wouldn't follow them into their profession. But by his early adolescence it was clear that the mercenary life was calling to him, as he patiently learned more from his parent's associates than he ever did from from his schoolmasters.

Some of those associates were superpowers; by Ken's late adolescence, he'd started to develop certain psychic gifts of his own, making him into a hand-to-hand fighting machine. As this allowed him to charge more for his services, even if he generally fought with conventional weapons, it was clearly a good thing. The full story of his activities in the early and mid-70s, after he parted ways with his parents (shortly before their own partnership dissolved), has never been fully told. He was active in South East Asia for much of this period, and is known to have crossed paths with Hazard on at least two different occasions, as an ally and as an enemy (and beneficiary of the man's mercurial humor.)

In 1978, while Ken was passing through Argentina on other business, he chanced to run into his father, who attempted to persuade him to sign up with the new outfit he'd joined. The offer sounded intriguing enough, but something about the man accompanying his father set Ken's teeth on edge, mostly the way that he kept glaring at him as though Ken's very existence was an offense. When Ken finally turned down the offer, he had the distinct feeling that the only reason he was allowed to walk out of the bar alive was his father's presence. That was the first time he ever encountered General Estrella, and the last time he saw his father alive.

Four years later, the Pythonian Insurgency burst out onto the world. It created a lot of work for mercenaries, training various private armies to defend against them -- or occasionally to be recruited by them. Ken found the latter work to be distasteful, but he wasn't in a position to turn it down when it came his way. Not even the report of his father's death in battle really moved him; such was the nature of a mercenary's business, and it made no sense to take such things personally.

And then, in 1984, he had his first direct confrontation with his nemesis, leading a small group of Burmese soldiers against a much larger force of Pythons led by General Estrella. Single combat between champions was something that belonged to a prior age of warfare, and yet that was how it worked out on that day as well, with the two of them clashing heedless of the fighting around them. It was a draw, ultimately, and they were separated before either of them could press onward to bring matters to a conclusion. But Ken realized that he had made an enemy that would pursue him until one of them died.

If he was an enemy to one of the senior members of the Pythonian Insurgency, it simply made sense to find allies among their enemies. He briefly worked with the United Kingdom's Active Force, but found that its commanders were (with one major exception) unwilling to take the fight to the enemy's door. So he started attempts to persuade the American JSOT to accept him instead, a process complicated by his history of mercenary activity, a good chunk of which had involved activities against American interests. Swallowing his pride, Ken managed to convince enough of the group's leadership that his actions had always been intended to support such interests -- a ruse, in other words. It seems likely that this was the source of his code name when he was finally accepted into the Task Force as a Lieutenant, and the group's second openly superpower soldier.

He had the support he needed, and would challenge General Estrella many times in the next few years, though never managing to bring matters to a decisive end, one way or another. Their final confrontation would come on Mars, in a fight that sent them out through the walls of the pyramid-like structure that the Pythonians had inhabited, out onto the Martian landscape. There they fought, and Ken was able to prevent his enemy from escaping back into shelter until he finally expired from lack of oxygen.

Ken took a moment to consider his circumstances. While seriously injured, he could probably make it back to the others and receive medical treatment on the way back to Earth. But he'd been exposed to the radioactive material that covered the Martian landscape, and so the odds seemed good that he'd only be extending his pain if he did that, and the medical personnel would probably do better to help those who could still be helped. The truth was, he realized with a faint smile on his face, that he was already dead. He lay down to let the process complete itself, and in a few moments, it was all over.

Ken Griffin/Ruse -- PL 8

Abilities:
STR
3 | STA 3 | AGL 5 | DEX 5 | FGT 8 | INT 1 | AWE 4 | PRE 3

Powers:
Martial Power: Array (3 points)
  • Projected Strength: Line Area Damage 6, Distracting, Tiring - 3 points
  • Striking Strength: Strength-based Damage 3 - 1 points
Meditation: Sustained Immunity 4 (need for sleep, starvation & thirst, suffocation) - 4 points
Sense Those of Comparable Power: Senses 3 (acute tracking psychic awareness) - 3 points
Weightless Step: Leaping 3 (60 feet); Movement 1 (trackless) - 5 points

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Benefit (military rank) Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Equipment 4, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Grabbing Finesse, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Language 2 (French, Japanese, Mandarin, Spanish), Move-by Action, Power Attack, Taunt

Equipment:
Assault Rifle (Ranged Multiattack Damage 5), Commlink, 4 points of equipment as needed.

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+9), Athletics 6 (+9), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+10), Deception 6 (+9), Expertise: Military 6 (+7), Insight 4 (+8), Perception 4 (+8), Ranged Combat: Guns 4 (+9), Stealth 4 (+9), Vehicles 4 (+9)

Offense:
Initiative +9
Unarmed +10 (Close Damage 6)
Assault Rifle +9 (Ranged Multiattack Damage 5)
Projected Strength -- (Line Area Damage 6)

Defense:
Dodge 9, Parry 11, Fortitude 7, Toughness 5/3, Will 7

Totals:
Abilities 64 + Powers 16 + Advantages 19 + Skills 22 + Defenses 14 = 135 points

Complications:
Justice--Motivation. Nemesis (General Estrella.) Responsibility (soldiers under his command.) Won't Use The Same Attack Twice in Succession.

Note: After 1988, he is equipped with a Blaster Rifle (Ranged Damage 8) and has Ranged Attack 1.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

So clearly, he was part of the mutant families.
Davies

Post by Davies »

The late Katherine Blalock (1932-2006), formerly Griffin, nee Masters, is believed to have been related to both the Meusz and the Loyola families.

Next up, some space voyagers, and a really big kaiju. Who's a space voyager.
Davies

Post by Davies »

The Void Specter

From a holographic perspective, the Enigma Sector, as it's called by Technate astronomers, doesn't look like it should be anything extraordinary. Located coreward of the Technate's home stars, it has seen a few colonization attempts over the last century, which have established three permanent settlements with a total population of around three million Technate citizens. But then you start noticing the space warps, and the star system where dozens of different variations of the Hive are battling each other for supremacy, and the world in that system where the Hive presence was exterminated by an even more virulent ecology, and the dozens of worlds dotted with ruins of the Old Ones, and the Olympians, and the Albadine. And then you find out about what Terrans might call a Dyson sphere around one particular star, and the home world (or a home world) of the Gardeners, and -- if you know more than you should know about certain things -- the Pillars of Eternity.

And if you know all this -- or even most of it -- then it probably starts to make sense to you that this region of space has a guardian, one who bears the Power Prism and wields it openly and with great skill. The Gynesians, who had explored the region before the rise of the Technate, claim that the Void Specter had been keeping the peace there when they first ventured there, and that it's been the same individual all this time. More sober historians suggest that it's a lineage of individuals, with the title of the Void Specter passing from parent to child to create an illusion of immortality.

They're almost right. The Void Specter is an identity passed down, but not from a parent to a child, but technically between siblings. Some two hundred years* ago, a certain Power Prism-wielder -- their personal name has long been forgotten, and it's not clear if they were agender as their descendants are -- discovered some of the strangeness of this region of space, and, after consulting with the Gardeners, decided to become this region's protector. But they were already an elderly Chiraben by the time that they began this vigil, and knew that they could not maintain the task for very long. So they cloned themselves, trained the younger clone to take their place, then committed a ritual suicide. This transfer of the identity has happened a total of twelve times over the last two centuries.

The Void Specter has no real life outside of their work. They have a number of cover identities on the Technate worlds that have grown up in the last century, but these are simply false names that they use to conduct their investigation with a measure of discretion. They avoid making personal connections, in particular romance. The closest that they come to friendship is with other wielders of the Power Prism. The breadth of their experience has made them famous among this small community, prompting others to seek them out to serve as a mentor, which they're happy to do, within reason. Even these individuals rarely see them without their mask on, and simply refer to them as the Specter.

Currently, the Void Specter works alone. That will likely change if they receive word that some old business has come home. Three decades ago, the immediate predecessor of the current Void Specter encountered an individual who had acquired a Power Prism under somewhat dubious circumstances. As this happens fairly frequently, the only noteworthy aspect of the situation was the way that this person refused to use the instrumentality appropriately or learn how to do so, which resulted in a conflict neither of them wanted. The opposition escaped, but the Void Specter reported the incident to Aperion. Quite recently, reports of that particular Prism being used reached them, and the Council dispatched someone to investigate. Events didn't work out in that individual's favor, but when the Terran known as O Homen de Oro reaches Aperion, the Void Specter will likely be consulted on the situation ...

The Void Specter -- PL 12

Abilities:
STR
2 | STA 3 | AGL 4 | DEX 4 | FGT 6 | INT 3 | AWE 6 | PRE 2

Powers:
"A Trick or Two": Feature 1 (can hide Power Prism within his body but cannot use it in in this state.) - 1 point
Power Prism: Removable (-22 points)
* Force Field: Linked Sustained Impervious Protection 12; Linked Sustained Immunity 10 (life support) - 34 points
* Offensive Applications: Array (27 points)
  • Basic Blast: Ranged Damage 13, Affects Insubstantial - 27 points
  • Exo-Armor: Enhanced Advantage 3 (Close Attack 3); Enhanced Strength 12 - 1 point
  • Ghost Blast: Ranged Damage 9, Affects Substantial - 1 point
  • Hallucinator: Illusion 9 (all senses), Limited to One Subject, Resistable by Will - 1 point
  • Stun Blast: Ranged Affliction 13 (Resisted by Will; Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated), Affects Insubstantial - 1 point
  • Tractor-Presser Beam: Move Object 13, Precise - 1 point
* Phased Flight: Flight 11 (4000 MPH), Aquatic; Insubstantial 3; Movement 3 (environmental adaptation [zero-g], space flight 2) - 44 points

Advantages:
Agile Feint, All-out Attack, Equipment 10, Improved Initiative, Language 5 (many, though none used on Earth), Move-by Action, Power Attack, Skill Mastery (Investigation).

Equipment:
Space Cruiser: Size Colossal; Strength 14; Speed 13 (air/space); Defense 5; Toughness 13; Powers Ghost Field (Concealment 6 [visual, radio]), Star Drive (Movement 2 [space travel 2]) - 49 points

Skills:
Deception 8 (+10), Expertise: Galactic 9 (+12), Expertise History 6 (+9), Expertise: Science 6 (+9), Insight 6 (+12), Intimidation 7 (+9), Investigation 9 (+12), Perception 5 (+11), Ranged Combat: Power Prism 7 (+11), Stealth 5 (+9), Technology 6 (+9), Vehicles 6 (+10).

Offense:
Initiative +8
Unarmed +6 (Close Damage 2)
Exo-Armor +9 (Close Damage 14)
Basic Blast +11 (Ranged Damage 13)
Ghost Blast +11 (Ranged Damage 9)
Stun Blast +11 (Ranged Will 13)

Defense:
Dodge 9, Parry 9, Fortitude 6, Toughness 15/3, Will 14

Totals:
Abilities 60 + Powers 98 + Advantages 21 + Skills 40 + Defenses 18 = 237 points

Complications:
Responsibility--Motivation. Secret Identity. Total Commitment to Job.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Intresting mix of Space Ghost, Green Lantern and The Phantom. I like him! :D
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:24 am Currently, the Void Specter works alone. That will likely change if they receive word that some old business has come home. Three decades ago, the immediate predecessor of the current Void Specter encountered an individual who had acquired a Power Prism under somewhat dubious circumstances. As this happens fairly frequently, the only noteworthy aspect of the situation was the way that this person refused to use the instrument appropriately or learn how to do so, which resulted in a conflict neither of them wanted. The opposition escaped, but the Void Specter reported the incident to Aperion. Quite recently, reports of that particular Prism being used reached them, and the Council dispatched someone to investigate. Events didn't work out in that individual's favor, but when the Terran known as O Homen de Oro reaches Aperion, the Void Specter will likely be consulted on the situation ...
El Diablo Rojo or the Meteor?
Davies

Post by Davies »

The latter.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Deleh Massovy
Art source unknown, I discovered this image months ago and haven't been able to find it again since.

The Gynesian people had 'only' discovered the warp drive and begun exploring their local stellar neighborhood for a few centuries, having a few minor clashes with the nearby Hazlan nations, when the Technate quite abruptly established itself, entirely too close for comfort to Aganesh. Observing the conflicts that the Technate fought with the Hazlan, much larger wars than the Gynesians had ever fought since the establishment of their unified world government, convinced the Gynesian authorities that they did not want a war with these new neightbors. But the Gynesians were well aware that the Technate had a culture of fear for those who had innate powers, such as the Gynesians' innate psychic abilities, and feared that a war was inevitable. Fortunately, they were able to negotiate an entry into the Technate on peaceful terms, but at the cost of becoming a somewhat isolationist society. Very few Gynesians have ever become famous within Technate society.

Deleh Massovy -- properly C'shn D'leh G'ati -- is the great exception, and she would have been regardless of the path she chose. In every generation, a handful of Gynesians are born without the species' innate psychic abilities, and are instead immune and invisible to mental powers. Of course, such talents are not at all indicative of any flaw or lack of personal worth in the person, and should receive all the love and care that any child of the people receives -- or at least, such is the official word. In practice, the child who would be Deleh was abandoned by her parents and ignored by her society, likely to have died young, had she not come into the care of a Technate Space Agency officer, Itel Massovy, who adopted her as a daughter.

Deleh naturally followed her mother into the agency when she matured, and served in the science and medical departments of several vessels, before her assignment to the TSV Adventure under the command of Commander Arlan Hayez. The voyages that they undertook vaulted her into the ranks of the living legends of the Technate, as well as creating the greatest friendship she would ever know. When the Adventure was finally decommissioned, she was offered a number of posts within the TSA, as well as being contacted by the Gynesian Authority and offered a high-ranking position within their government, in recognition of her remarkable accomplishments despite being a -- and that was as far as the Gynesian making the offer got before Deleh slapped them across the face in public.

Deleh has never returned to Aganesh, and probably never will. Her official residence is on Muraddin, in a house that she shares with Arlan Hayez, though she's there no more often than he is. Her official position is the Surgeon-General of the TSA Homeworld Fleet, but this is largely an administrative fiction. In practice, her activities could best be described as those of a roaming trouble-shooter, somewhere between an ambassador and a spy. Currently, her solitary voyages have brought her to Aperion, as there are rumors that its council is developing an alliance with the Last Men Standing. It is not desirable for that resistance group to have closer ties to the source of the Power Prisms than the Technate enjoys, and so Deleh is striving to strengthen the Technate's ties ... ideally without damaging either group's relationship with the Lasters, but if needs must ...

In her youth, Deleh often deliberately strove for a very cold and ultra-rational demeanor. She's matured since then, and while she still values logic and reason, she is perfectly willing to express herself emotionally. Her greatest personal weakness is her scientific curiosity, which can distract her from the more immediate and pragmatic goals that she's expected to pursue. This makes her current assignment especially dangerous, as the Council of Aperion does not look at all fondly on anyone who tries to discover the secret of how the Prisms are manufactured. And that is practically dangling bait in front of her ...

Deleh Massovy-- PL 7

Abilities:
STR
2 | STA 2 | AGL 3 | DEX 3 | FGT 4 | INT 7 | AWE 4 | PRE 3

Powers:
Psychic Null: Permanent Concealment 2 (mental); Immunity 20 (mental effects) - 24 points

Advantages:
Attractive, Defensive Attack, Equipment 5, Evasion 2, Fearless 2, Improved Disarm, Jack-of-all-Trades, Speed of Thought, Well-Informed.

Equipment:
Blaster Pistol (Ranged Damage 5, AE: Ranged Affliction 5 [Fortitude; Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated]), Commlink, Protective Uniform (Protection 4, Subtle), and 8 points of equipment as needed.

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+7), Athletics 2 (+4), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+8), Deception 4 (+7), Expertise: Galactic 4 (+11), Expertise: Medicine 2 (+9), Expertise: Science 4 (+11), Insight 5 (+9), Intimidation 2 (+5), Investigation 2 (+9), Persuasion 2 (+5), Ranged Combat: Blaster 4 (+7), Sleight of Hand 3 (+6), Stealth 2 (+5), Technology 3 (+10), Treatment 2 (+9), Vehicles 3 (+6).

Offense:
Initiative +7
Unarmed +8 (Close Damage 2)
Blast Setting +7 (Ranged Damage 5)
Stun setting +7 (Ranged Fortitude 5)

Defense:
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 3, Toughness 6/2, Will 7.

Totals:
Abilities 58 + Powers 24 + Advantages 15 + Skills 26 + Defenses 15 = 138 points

Complications:
Responsibility--Motivation. Curiosity. Relationship (Arlan Hayez.) Secret (covert operations.)
Last edited by Davies on Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.