Solar's Build Thread - The In-Between-Updates Update!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Woodclaw

Re: Solar's Build Thread - Boku no Hero Academia Update

Post by Woodclaw »

One of the great things about MHA is that it takes really weird designs, that in most US comics would be instantly labeled as silly, and make them into legitimately cool characters.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Re: Mt. Lady

Post by Jabroniville »

SolarOracle wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:03 am Image
Something about this character appealed to me, lol.

I just remember flipping through the first Tankobon, and seeing her be like "I can't get in there to help!" or something- isn't that how Midoriya first showcased his heroism? By helping out someone a bunch of other powered folk couldn't? It made her come off as a tad "in it for the glory/irresponsible" right away. I kind of assumed she'd be a major deal, but I suspect the usual reasons Giant-Size characters aren't that common in books (ie. you're on a deadline and you now need to draw HOW many buildings?) would hold her back. Japan also seems to lack, um, APPRECIATION for giant ladies, so there's no equivalent to FemForce, lol. Not thinking about that, I was kinda shocked when she was so easily eclipsed in fanart by Uravity AND Froppy.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sidney369

Re: Mt. Lady

Post by Sidney369 »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:29 am
SolarOracle wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:03 am Image
Something about this character appealed to me, lol.

I just remember flipping through the first Tankobon, and seeing her be like "I can't get in there to help!" or something- it's that how Midoriya first showcased his heroism? By helping out someone a bunch of other powered folk couldn't? It made her come off as a tad "in it for the glory/irresponsible" right away. I kind of assumed she'd be a major deal, but I suspect the usual reasons Giant-Size characters aren't that common in books (ie. you're on a deadline and you now need to draw HOW many buildings?) would hold her back. Japan also seems to lack, um, APPRECIATION for giant ladies, so there's no equivalent to FemForce, lol. Not thinking about that, I was kinda shocked when she was so easily eclipsed in fanart by Uravity AND Froppy.
She couldn't reach Bakugo (the one being threatened by the villain) because the streets were too narrow. There was a few other heroes there too, but they were unable to act for various reasons. Still, even though she did come off as "in it for the glory/irresponsible" in her early appearances, she did take several brutal hits in later storylines, establishing her as a true hero regardless. (And you may be interested in the MHA Smash comedy series, where there's a running gag about her resorting to making money by catering to crush fetishists.)

And it's nice to see that there's someone else here that likes FemForce.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
marcoasalazarm

Post by marcoasalazarm »

*(Sheepishly raises hand)*
SolarOracle

Kamui Woods

Post by SolarOracle »

Kamui Woods

Identity: Nishiya Shinji, Public Identity.
Height: 1.68 meters.
Weight: Unknown.
Eyes: Black.
Hair: None.
Skin: Wooden.
Quirk Type: Transformation.
Group: Pro hero, The Lurkers.
Base of Operations: Japan, Tokyo, Musutafu City.

Power Level 10 (PL 12 Super Move) - 142 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 0, Agility 2, Fighting 8, Awareness 1
Stamina 3, Dexterity 3, Intellect 1, Presence 1

Powers
Quirk - Arbor
Movement 1 (Swinging). [2]

Super Move! - Lacquered Chain Prison: Area (60 ft. Cone) Affliction 12 (Hindered and Vulnerable/Immobile and Defenseless) (Extras: Cumulative, Extra Condition, Selective) (Flaws: Limited Degree). (48) -- [49]
  • AE: Capture With Tendrils: Ranged Affliction 8 (Hindered and Vulnerable/Immobile and Defenseless) (Extras: Cumulative, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree). (24)
Advantages
Accurate Attack, Benefit - Japan’s Number 7 Hero, Close Attack 2, Defensive Roll 2, Evasion, Ranged Attack 4

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+4 total).
Athletics 6 (+6 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+13 total).
Deception 1 (+2 total).
Expertise (Pro Hero) 2 (+3 total).
Insight 4 (+5 total).
Persuasion 2 (+3 total).
Ranged Combat (Arbor) 5 (+12 total).
Stealth 2 (+4 total).
Treatment 1 (+2 total).

Offense
Initiative +2
Unarmed +13, close damage 0.
Arbor +12, ranged affliction (Hindered and Vulnerable/Immobile and Defenseless), Dodge DC 18.
Lacquered Chain Prison. close 60 ft. cone area affliction (Hindered and Vulnerable/Immobile and Defenseless), Dodge DC 22.

Defense
Dodge 15, Fortitude 6, Parry 15, Toughness 3/5*, Will 6
*5 with defensive roll.

Complications

Weakness: Fire: Due to him and his quirk being made of wood, Nishiya has a weakness to explosion and fire quirks. He takes a -2 penalty to saves made against attacks with such descriptors, and attacks with those descriptors made to break his quirk’s snares gain a +2 bonus.

38 Abilities, 51 Powers, 11 Advantages, 14 Skills, 28 Defenses = 142 Character Points

About: The very first hero to show up in the series, Kamui Woods is a very capable rookie superhero who fights in a nimble and agile maner, using his quirk for mobility. His quirk, Arbor, allows him to strech out tendrils and roots from his wooden body, using them to immobilize enemies.

Kamui first shows up by fighting off against a villain in front of a subway station, very effectively dealing with him, but, as he was about to finish him off with his Lacquered Chain Prison super move, he was interrupted by Mt. Lady's arrival, who took out the villain, completely shocking him. From then on, Kamui appeared as a background character in many of the series' arcs, usually being paired with Mt. Lady who he seems to have befriended afterwards, even being on a team with her now. Throughout the series, despite him being a novice hero, he's been shown to be extremelly capable, using his quirk and agility extremelly well in combat and quickly dealing with threats, like the time him and other pro heroes raided the base of the Villains League to rescue Bakugo and Kamui used his Lacquered Chain Prison super move to immobilize every single one of the villains. Quite impressive.

Apparently, growing up, Nishiya suffered due to the prejudice that came with having a quirk that gave him wooden skin, which probably lead him to the practice of wearing cxivilian clothing that hides most of his body. After he made pro, apparently a sympathetic TV special about him was made talking about his backstory, which helped him gather a fanbase despite being a rookie.

I like Kamui, especially with the Spider-Man-esche take on wood powers the author decided to give him, even giving him a cool ninja-like appeareance. His skin being made out of wood is always something I thought was a cool touch. I really wish we get to see him fighting more in the future though.

His super move, the Lacquered Chain Prison, consists of him streching many wooden tendrils from his arms to immobilize large groups of enemies.

Outfits: As a civilian, Nishiya wears clothing that hides most of his wooden skin, like a large hat, a scarf, a turtleneck and a pair of jeans and boots. His hero costume, by contrast, reveals a lot more of his skin, with a short-sleeved black bodysuit with a wooden belt-like accessory that is decorated with a set of red flowers. He also wears a paid of wooden kneepads and wooden boots (or at least boots that are stylized to look like wood, it isn't clear).
Last edited by SolarOracle on Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

Woodclaw wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:00 am One of the great things about MHA is that it takes really weird designs, that in most US comics would be instantly labeled as silly, and make them into legitimately cool characters.
Deffinately! I really think there is no better example of this than Fat Gum, who seems to be a really beloved character in the fanbase despite his silly design due to how freaking awesome his is during the story.
Sidney369 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:47 am
Ares wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:10 am I've probably mentioned it before, but it's interesting that there isn't really a "Justice League" type team for the setting
Funny you should bring that up. In the Vigilantes spin-off, it was revealed that the first licensed heroes in the world were seven heroes based in Rhode Island.
I sort of hope they expand on that at some point in the main series or in the spinoff, or that we're shown more of how early-hero-society was at least.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:29 am Something about this character appealed to me, lol.

I just remember flipping through the first Tankobon, and seeing her be like "I can't get in there to help!" or something- isn't that how Midoriya first showcased his heroism? By helping out someone a bunch of other powered folk couldn't? It made her come off as a tad "in it for the glory/irresponsible" right away.
Hm, yeah, I can see that, and it was probably intentional by the author in some degree, since a lot of what we first get to see of her is centered on her vain superhero persona and stuff, focusing a lot on being provocative and stuff. We later get to see her in a more positive light tho, with her taking heavy hits for her teammates and even going one-on-one against one of the most powerful villains in the series, Gigantomachia, to buy time for her allies in a pretty altruistic act.

In some of the supplementary material tho, the author kind of explained that she's someone who wants to be an inspiring heroic figure above all else, but that she is also someone who is borke most of the time, due to property damage bills her quirk ends up bringing up, opperating at a net-loss most of the time, and that, despite somewhat relying on her sexy seductive persona, she's also someone who wants to do the hero stuff "the right way", even criticizing heroes like Midnight for relying in their sex appeal too much, a character detail that I always thought was interesting.
SolarOracle

Edgeshot

Post by SolarOracle »

Ninja Hero: Edgeshot

Identity: Kamihara Shinya, Public Identity.
Height: 1.70 meters.
Eyes: Gray.
Hair: Gray.
Skin: Fair.
Quirk Type: Transformation.
Group: Pro hero, The Lurkers.
Base of Operations: Japan.

Power Level 11 - 164 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 0, Agility 4, Fighting 7, Awareness 0
Stamina 3, Dexterity 3, Intellect 1, Presence 1

Powers
Quirk - Foldabody
Immunity 10 (Fall Damage, Crushing Damage). [10]
Elongation 3. [3]
Flatten Body: Insubstantial 1 (Extras: Precise). [6]

Super Move! - Ninpo: Thousand Sheet Pierce: Ranged Damage 6 (Extras: Accurate 2, Improved Critical 4), linked to Ranged Affliction 6 (Impaired/Disabled/Unaware) (Extras: Accurate 2, Improved Critical 4). [36]

Advantages
Benefit - Japan’s Number 4 Hero, Close Attack 2, Defensive Roll 2, Evasion 2, Improved Initiative, Hide in Plain Sight, Leadership, Move-by Action, Ranged Attack 5, Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+6 total).
Athletics 4 (+4 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+13 total).
Deception 2 (+4 total).
Expertise (Pro Hero) 4 (+5 total).
Insight 2 (+4 total).
Perception 8 (+8 total).
Persuasion 2 (+4 total).
Ranged Combat (Foldabody) 3 (+11 total).
Stealth 7 (+11 total).
Treatment 4 (+5 total).

Offense
Initiative +8
Unarmed +13, close damage 0.
Thousand Sheet Pierce +15, ranged damage 6, ranged affliction (Impaired/Disabled/Unaware), Fortitude DC 16, critical 16-20.

Defense
Dodge 17, Fortitude 7, Parry 16, Toughness 3/5*, Will 6
*5 with defensive roll.

Complications

Obsession: Ninjas: Kamihara seems to have a deep interest in ninjas and their aesthetics, to the point he dresses like one even when not in his hero outfit.

38 Abilities, 55 Powers, 18 Advantages, 21 Skills, 32 Defenses = 164 Character Points

About: The ninja hero Edgeshot is the pro hero currently ranked number 4 in the national hero rankings of Japan. His quirk, Foldabody, allows him to manipulate the thinness of his body, with him using that to separate his body into extremely thin and sharp strings to attack his enemies, targetting non-lethal pressure points to incapacitate his targets very effectively, and also uses it to more easily infiltrate enemy bases.

Edgeshot's been mostly a background hero for most of the series, only really having a prominent role in the Hideout Raid arc, where he , along with many other pro heroes invaded the base of the League of Viallins, with Edgeshot using his Ninpo: Thousand Sheet Pierce super move to incapacitate Kurogiri before he could activate his teleportation quirk.

Edgeshot seems to be a calm and collected person, but also, someone who has a huge obsession with ninjas, to the poin he even dresses like one as his regular day-to-day clothes, due to, according to him, them being really cool (a sentiment I can completely get behind). There is something really awesome about Edgeshot, both with his calm and tactical personality and his funny ninja obsession. It's a shame we don't get to see more of him interracting with other characters, expecially his teammates from The Lurkers. I feel like him and Kamui Woods probably get along well due to their ninja motif, LOL. It is my personal headcanon that he is a teacher at Seijin High, that one filler school where all the students dress like collor-coded ninjas, and I refuse to accept otherwise!

He has shown one super move, the Ninpo: Thousand Sheet Pierce, which is him stretching his body at a high velocity to pierce through the pressure points of his targets while avoiding lethal spots, quickly incapacitating them.

As a quick build note, remember back when I started posting the pro heroes and I commented some builds took me way longer than they should? This guy is the main culprit. I don't even know why, just something about his weird powerset made me completely stumped, and I was paralyzed for, like, 4 days staring at his sheet. The final result still feels a bit weird to me, if I'm being honest. I decided to give his super move a looooooot of Improved Critical ranks, due to it being an attack that aims extremely well for specific parts of the target's body and that incapacitates them almost immediately and all. I also decided to give him a bunch a "ninja" Advantages, like I did with the Seijin students, due to his entire character being the fact that he likes ninjas.

Outfits: Kamihara's civilian clothing is just straight up ninja cosplay, with a black kimono, a black hood and facemask and a pair of wooden sandals. His hero costume also leans heavily on the ninja theme, with a black bodysuit, a pair of white forearm sleeves, a red and blue sleeveless kimono with a pair of large red pants. He wear a golden shoulderpad on his right side that is stylized to look like a traditional Japanese oni face, an oversized red scarf, a pair of wooden sandals and a black facemask. Real ninja!
Last edited by SolarOracle on Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SolarOracle

Gang Orca

Post by SolarOracle »

Killer Whale Hero: Gang Orca

Identity: Sakamata Kugo, Public Identity.
Height: 2.02 meters.
Eyes: Red.
Skin: Black and white.
Quirk Type: Mutant.
Group: Pro-hero.

Power Level 11 - 124 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 4*, Agility 2, Fighting 7, Awareness 1
Stamina 6*, Dexterity 0, Intellect 0, Presence 2
*Increased with size.

Powers
Quirk - Orcinus
Growth 3 (Strength and Stamina +3, Mass +3, Intimidation +1, Dodge and Parry -1, Stealth -3) (Extras: Innate and Permanent). [7]
Speed 1 (8 Km/H or 4 MpH). [1]
Swimming 5 (30 Km/H or 16 MpH). [5]
Immunity 2 (Drowning and Suffocation) (Flaws: Limited to half effect). [1]
Immunity 2 (Cold and Pressure). [2]
Orca Senses: Senses 3 (Extended Hearing, Extended and Low-light Vision). [3]
Echolocation: Senses 3 (Accurate and Ultra Hearing). [3]

Hypersonic Waves: Strength-based Damage 2, linked to Affliction 9 (Dazed/Stunned/Unaware). [11]
Protection 2 (Impervious 6). [8]

Advantages
All-out Attack, Close Attack 3, Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Attack, Extraordinary Effort, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved critical (Hypersonic Waves), Power Attack, Startle

Skills
Athletics 3 (+7 total).
Close Combat (Hypersonic Waves) 3 (+13 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12 total).
Deception 1 (+3 total).
Expertise (Pro Hero) 6 (+6 total).
Insight 2 (+3 total).
Intimidation 6 (+8 total, +9 size).
Perception 4 (+5 total).
Persuasion 1 (+3 total).
Treatment 2 (+2 total).

Offense
Initiative +2
Unarmed +12, close damage 4.
Hypersonic Waves +13, close damage 6, affliction (Dazed/Stunned/Unaware), Fort DC 19, critical 19-20.

Defense
Dodge 12*, Fortitude 8, Parry 14*, Toughness 6/8*, Will 5
*Parry and Dodge -1 due to size. Toughness 8 with Hypersonic Waves. Impervious Toughness 3.

Complications

Weakness: Fire and Heat: Due to his orcine traits, Gang Orca must frequently hydrate himself, making him vulnerable to attacks with the fire or heat descriptors. He takes a -2 penalty on saves against attacks with those descriptors.

Reputation: Scary Hero: Gang Orca was voted by the people of Japan as “Hero who looks the most like a villain”, due to his scary appearance. Despite this, apparently Gang Orca really likes children and small animals, as well as having a good heart, with him really enjoying seeing young heroes in training overcome their adversities, but puts on a menacing and intimidating act while acting as a hero.

Rivalry: Shishido: Gang Orca and the lion hero Shishido seem to often antagonize each other, debating which animal is superior between the killer whale and the lion, seeing it a battle of pride between the king of land animals vs the king of sea life. Due to this, despite their rivalry stemming from some form of mutual respect, disputes between them end up escalating quickly.

32 Abilities, 41 Powers, 12 Advantages, 14 Skills, 25 Defenses = 124 Character Points

About: The 12th ranked pro hero of Japan, Gang Orca is a calm, collected and intimidating guy who focuses on combat. His quirk, Orcinus, gives him aspects of the physiology of a killer whale, both in and out of water, giving him enhanced physical trait, enhanced senses and the ability to release hypersonic shockwaves from his head, something he uses both as a means of attack and to soften incoming blows.

Gang Orca first shows up during the second stage of the Provisional License arc, where he plays the role of an attacking villain in the simulation, as the hero students try to evacuate civilians from the area and to stop his attack, a part he apparently got due to having won a popularity contest of "Hero That Looks the Most Like a Villain" (which is an extremely specific and silly competition, and I really don't know how he got Hound Dog beat in that). He later shows up again in the Remedial Course arc, where he is supervising and training the students who failed the exam, including Bakugo and Todoroki, whom he put in charge of babysitting the Masegaki school kids so they could learn about cooperating and of not relying on brute strength and stuff. During all that, he's shown to legitimately care about the people he's disciplining, but that he believes he needs to take a harsher "tough love" attitude with them. During the Endeavor Agency arc, he took in Jiro and Shoji as interns.

Gang Orca is actually a concept exported from Horikoshi's previous cancelled manga, Omagadoki Zoo (something that is also true for the heroine Uwabami and that I forgot to include in her about section. Sorry about that), where his counterpart, an anthopomorphic killer whale called Sakamata is an almost mafia-like overlord of the fish of the zoo. I really like how Horikoshi recycled a bunch of his old stuff in BnHA.

Gang Orca is an interesting character, but kind of meh overall to me, I don't know. He doesn't get a lot of screentime despite his prominence in two arcs, which feels a bit like a shame, and the orca concept isn't really a draw to me, tho I really like the fact that he comes from a previous work of the author. That said, I hope he shows up more.

EDIT FROM THE DIIIIIIIISTANT FUTURE!! - Since the Hero League Baseball OVA episode is out and all, I decided to add a Rivalry: Shishido complication, since we see how antagonistic they are to each other. They are still able to do proper hero work together with no issue tho, putting their rivalry aside for the greater cause, but what was supposed to be a friendly baseball match quickly turned into a brawl between the two. It's kind of interesting that the two are rivals, since they both originate from Omagadoki Zoo and all.

Outfits: Sakamata's casual wear are light and comfortable clothes, like a pair of jeans, social shoes, a tanktop and a light short-sleeved jacket. His hero costume is a white suit set with a high collar and a pair of black social shoes. He wears a black cape stylized to look like a killer whale and wears a pink tie that is stylized to look like a tongue.
Last edited by SolarOracle on Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:47 pm, edited 9 times in total.
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

OK, and those were the heroes who took the main cast as interns during the story so far that I managed to build! There are a few others who we don't know enough for me to be able to make a build, even considering how many of the builds I did were especulative as all hell (especially Fourth Kind's). I'll probably do a quick About section for the ones I couldn't stat out in a single post tomorrow and then take a small break to finish up the rest of the pros. The one's I didn't do I mostly decided not to try to especulate them due to not really knowing how their quirk works and due to them not really having enough screentime for me to even begin to speculate that and stuff. Still, that might change in the future, who knows.
MarvelLion

Post by MarvelLion »

Sorry for not commenting for a little while. You did very well with the Pros, especially Edgeshot despite how complicated his Quirk is for M&M. You definitely earned your break, and I'm looking forward to future builds! I'm especially looking forward to seeing builds for villains, since I think they have some of the most interesting and cool Quirks; namely a certain Tea-aboo!
Davies

Re: Edgeshot

Post by Davies »

SolarOracle wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:33 pm
He has shown one super move, the Ninpo: Thousand Sheet Pierce, which is him stretching his body at a high velocity to pierce through the pressure points of his targets while avoiding lethal spots, quickly incapacitating them.
The "while avoiding lethal spots" aspect makes this sound like an Affliction rather than a Damage effect. The way that it seems to be animated -- possibly a Linked Damage and Affliction, with the Quirk (Affliction will not work if the target successfully resists the Damage.)
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
MacynSnow

Re: Gang Orca

Post by MacynSnow »

SolarOracle wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:45 am Image

Killer Whale Hero: Gang Orca

Identity: Sakamata Kugo, Public Identity.
Height: 2.02 meters.
Eyes: Red.
Skin: Black and white.
Quirk Type: Mutant.
Group: Pro-hero.

Power Level 11 - 114 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 4*, Agility 2, Fighting 7, Awareness 1
Stamina 6*, Dexterity 0, Intellect 0, Presence 2
*Increased with size.

Powers
Quirk - Orcinus: Growth 3 (Strength and Stamina +3, Mass +3, Intimidation +1, Dodge and Parry -1, Stealth -3) (Extras: Innate and Permanent). [7]
Speed 1 (8 Km/H or 4 MpH). [1]
Swimming 5 (30 Km/H or 16 MpH). [5]
Immunity 2 (Drowning and Suffocation) (Flaws: Limited to half effect). [1]
Immunity 2 (Cold and Pressure). [2]
Orca Senses: Senses 3 (Extended Hearing, Extended and Low-light Vision). [3]
Echolocation: Senses 3 (Accurate and Ultra Hearing). [3]

Hypersonic Waves: Strength-based Damage 2, linked to Affliction 9 (Dazed/Stunned/Unaware). [11]
Protection 2 (Impervious 4). [6]

Advantages
All-out Attack, Close Attack 3, Defensive Attack, Improved critical (Hypersonic Waves), Power Attack:

Skills
Athletics 3 (+7 total).
Close Combat (Hypersonic Waves) 3 (+13 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12 total).
Deception 1 (+3 total).
Expertise (Pro Hero) 4 (+4 total).
Intimidation 6 (+8 total, +9 size).
Persuasion 1 (+3 total).
Treatment 2 (+2 total).

Offense
Initiative +2
Unarmed +12, close damage 4.
Hypersonic Waves +13, close damage 6, affliction (Dazed/Stunned/Unaware), Fort DC 19, critical 19-20.

Defense
Dodge 12*, Fortitude 8, Parry 14*, Toughness 6/8*, Will 5
*Parry and Dodge -1 due to size. Toughness 8 with Hypersonic Waves. Impervious Toughness 2.

Complications

Weakness: Fire and Heat: Due to his orcine traits, Gang Orca must frequently hydrate himself, making him vulnerable to attacks with the fire or heat descriptors. He takes a -2 penalty on saves against attacks with those descriptors.

Reputation: Scary Hero: Gang Orca was voted by the people of Japan as “Hero who looks the most like a villain”, due to his scary appearance. Despite this, apparently Gang Orca really likes children and small animals, as well as having a good heart, with him really enjoying seeing young heroes in training overcome their adversities, but puts on a menacing and intimidating act while acting as a hero.

32 Abilities, 39 Powers, 7 Advantages, 11 Skills, 25 Defenses = 114 Character Points

About: The 12th ranked pro hero of Japan, Gang Orca is a calm, collected and intimidating guy who focuses on combat. His quirk, Orcinus, gives him aspects of the phisiology of a killer whale, both in and out of water, giving him enhanced physical trait, enhanced senses and the ability to release hypersonic shockwaves from his head, something he uses both as a means of attack and to soften incoming blows.

Gang Orca first shows up during the second stage of the Provisional License arc, where he plays the role of an attacking villain in the simulation, as the hero students try to evacute civilians from the area and to stop his attack, a part he apparently got due to having won a popularity contest of "Hero That Looks the Most Like a Villain" (which is an extremely specific and silly competition, and I really don't know how he got Hound Dog beat in that). He later shows up again in the Remedial Course arc, where he is supervising and training the students who failed the exam, including Bakugo and Todoroki, whom he put in charge of babysitting the Masegaki school kids so they could learn about cooperating and of not relying on brute strength and stuff. During all that, he's shown to legitimately care about the people he's disciplining, but that he believes he needs to take a harsher "tough love" attitude with them. During the Endeavor Agency arc, he took in Jiro and Shoji as interns.

Gang Orca is actually a concept exported from Horikoshi's previous cancelled manga, Omagadoki Zoo (something that is also true for the heroine Uwabami and that I forgot to include in her about section. Sorry about that), where his counterpart, an anthopomorphic killer whale called Sakamata is an almost mafia-like overlord of the fish of the zoo. I really like how Horikoshi recycled a bunch of his old stuff in BnHA.

Gang Orca is an interesting character, but kind of meh overall to me, I don't know. He doesn't get a lot of screentime despite his prominence in two arcs, which feels a bit like a shame, and the orca concept isn't really a draw to me, tho I really like the fact that he comes from a previous work of the author. That said, I hope he shows up more.

Outfits: Sakamata's casual wear are light and comfortable clothes, like a pair of jeans, social shoes, a tanktop and a light short-sleeved jacket. His hero costume is a white suit set with a high collar and a pair of black social shoes. He wears a black cape stylized to look like a killer whale and wears a pink tie that is stylized to look like a tongue.
I like his second image over the first(i'm a sucker for a nice looking vest) as well as his power set. Not much of a MHA fan, but i like how they look at superherodom...
SolarOracle

Assorted Non-Builded Characters

Post by SolarOracle »

OK, here are the heroes who part of the cast interned under that I felt unable to stat out for one reason or another:

Death Arms

About: Death Arms is a focused and serious pro-hero, and THE most prominent backgrounder in the series. Like, everytime a crowd of heroes shows up, it's guaranteed that he'll be there somewhere, but also that he won't get any focus. Throughout the story, Jiro interns with him for her work studies during the Hero Killer arc, and comments on how "hardcore" the types of missions he did were, like busting a gang hideout with a tactical team and stuff. It's suggested that his quirk seems to be a super-strength or a phisical enhancement one, but we don't really get to know what exactly it does nor what its name is, the main reason I felt like it wouldn't work out for me to try to stat him out, even in a speculative build. He shows up in the first chapter, being one of the heroes who scold Midoriya for rushing in to save Bakugo from the Sludge Villain.

Equipped Hero: Yoroi Musha

About: Yoroi Musha is the pro hero currently ranked number 9 in the national hero rankings, and seems to be an elderly man with a samurai-themed hero outfit, but not much else is known about him. During the Endeavor Agency arc, Ashido, Hagakure and Aoyama intern with him. We don't even get to know his quirk, despite his high ranking, nor do we ever see him in combat or anything, which is why I decided not to do a build for him.

Lion Hero: Shishido

About: Shishido is a pro hero who seems to have a lion mutant quirk, and seems to be an extremely angry and explosive person, similarly to Bakugo. Sato and Ojiro, as well as Shoda and hishida from class B, intern with him during the Endeavor Agency arc. The more interesting thing about Shishido tho is the fact that he is another character ported over from Horikoshi's previous manga, Omagadoki Zoo, where a character of the same name, design and personality was a rival to one of the protagonists and an ally to the main cast throughout the series. Like with the other characetrs, I decided not to build him since we don't see him in action nor do we get a complete explanation on what his quirk does (tho I assume it's probably the usual animal mutant quirk stuff - enhanced senses, improved phisicality and natural weapons).

Laundry Hero: Wash

About: Wash is a pro hero that looks like a washing mashine (which isn't clear if that is his actual goddamn body or if it is just a costume) and seems to only be able to say his name, like a Pokémon or something. He is ranked really high, being the number 8 pro hero. A lot of his fame seems to come from him doing a lot of washing machine and laundry commercials, which is pretty funny. He has an unnamed water quirk that seems to allow him to emit soapy water and bubbles form his body, with him being able to levitate people in the air with his bubbles. During the Endeavor Agency arc, Koda and Fukidashi from calss B intern under him. Decided not to build him due to him not getting many actions scenes and due to what the limitations of his quirk are being unclear.

Magic Hero: Majestic

About: Majestic was a pro hero who dressed with a bunch of scarves and robes and other pieces of exotic clothing. His quirk, named Magic, allowed him to levitate other people or objects through energy rings he can create. During the Endeavor Agency arc, Yaoyorozu and class B's Tokage interned with him, but he ended up tragically dying during the events of the Paranormal Liberation Front arc, which bums me out, since I'd love to see him actually doing stuff and gaining some narrative focus. This is a character I am kind of on the fence about not doing a build for, and the most likely among these for me to revert my decision later on, but I just felt like we really haven't seen enough of him for me to speculate his capabilities. Then again, I did a build for Fourth Kind and Miss Joke, so that argument might not really hold up, LOL.
Last edited by SolarOracle on Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

MarvelLion wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:45 am Sorry for not commenting for a little while. You did very well with the Pros, especially Edgeshot despite how complicated his Quirk is for M&M. You definitely earned your break, and I'm looking forward to future builds! I'm especially looking forward to seeing builds for villains, since I think they have some of the most interesting and cool Quirks; namely a certain Tea-aboo!
Thanks! Not many pro heroes left over and then I'll get right on with the villain builds, though like I mentioned on the Discord sever one time, there are some characters who I'm really not sure how I'll handle, LOL, like Mr. Compress or Overhaul. Eh, I'm sure I'll manage to come up with something.
Davies wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:31 am
SolarOracle wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:33 pm
The "while avoiding lethal spots" aspect makes this sound like an Affliction rather than a Damage effect. The way that it seems to be animated -- possibly a Linked Damage and Affliction, with the Quirk (Affliction will not work if the target successfully resists the Damage.)
Hm, yeah, I had considered doing it as an affliction innitially, but ended up deciding to just do it as raw damage, tho doing them the way you suggested seems to be a good solution. I'll probably edit the build with that in mind, thanks for the suggestion! : D
MacynSnow wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:25 am I like his second image over the first(i'm a sucker for a nice looking vest) as well as his power set.
Same, actually! For most of these, I try to include official artwork for the character (usually their anime reference images, when those are available) and a selection of cool fanarrt of the character, but sadly a lot of the characters don't seem to have a lot of good artwork. Was pretty glad I managed to find some good images for Gang Orca tho, since he looks really cool.
MacynSnow wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:25 am Not much of a MHA fan, but i like how they look at superherodom...
The way they handled herodom was actually one of my biggest turn-offs with the series initially, if I'm being honest, but I ended up beginning to see the fun side of it at some point.
MarvelLion

Post by MarvelLion »

SolarOracle wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:57 am
MarvelLion wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:45 am Sorry for not commenting for a little while. You did very well with the Pros, especially Edgeshot despite how complicated his Quirk is for M&M. You definitely earned your break, and I'm looking forward to future builds! I'm especially looking forward to seeing builds for villains, since I think they have some of the most interesting and cool Quirks; namely a certain Tea-aboo!
Thanks! Not many pro heroes left over and then I'll get right on with the villain builds, though like I mentioned on the Discord sever one time, there are some characters who I'm really not sure how I'll handle, LOL, like Mr. Compress or Overhaul. Eh, I'm sure I'll manage to come up with something.
I know what you mean, they do have some tricky Quirks, which is a shame, because Mr. Compress is my favorite member of the League. Also, does it bother you as much as it does me that we STILL have no idea what Yoroi Musha's Quirk is? I need to know, damn it, Horikoshi! Hahaha