Jab's Dinosaur Builds!: Prosauropods! Plateosaurus!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Giant Vampire Bat

Post by Jabroniville »

Art by Wayne Reynolds.

GIANT VAMPIRE BAT (Desmodus gigantes)
Role:
Creepy Nighttime Aerial Mount
PL 7 (81)- Minion Rank 5, Sidekick Rank 17
Normal Version:
PL 5-6
STRENGTH 6 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 8 (+8)
Intimidation 10 (+8 Size)
Perception 11 (+11)
Stealth 11 (+11)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Languages (Several) 2, Startle

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]
"Echolocation" Senses 4 (Extended, Ultra & Accurate Hearing) [4]

Flight 5 (60 mph) (Feats: Subtle 2) (Flaws: Winged) [7]

"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Will +5

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Bats cannot speak to humans, nor use their wings & talons to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 17 / Defenses: 15 (81)

Era: Fantasy Realms
Range: Open Plains & Cliffs
Stereotypes: Evil, diseased monsters.
Colouring: Dark brown
Size: Up to 10 feet long (500-1000 lbs.)
Encounter Groups: Massive flocks (5-200)
Diet: Blood from large mammals, humans
Tactics: Hunt silently and startle with bite.

-The Giant Vampire Bat here is an amalgamation of various bat-traits (the horror inspired by the Vampire Bat, mixed with the hunting practices of the insectivorous members of the Order). It's big and strong, using much of the Giant Eagle's stats, while possessing Bat-like senses (matching the Dolphin's Echolocation). They're ideal nighttime hunters, as well as elite mounts for evil Creatures of the Night, or you could just subvert things and make one the Sidekick of a HERO. At PL 7, it's slightly less-threatening that the other Flying Mounts, but is a fair bit scarier, and MUCH stealthier and more perceptive.
Batgirl III

Re: Jab's Animal Builds (Vampire Bat! Flying Foxes! Giant Bat!)

Post by Batgirl III »

They're ideal nighttime hunters, as well as elite mounts for evil Creatures of the Night, or you could just subvert things and make one the Sidekick of a HERO.
A heroic bat? C’mon, Jab. That could never happen.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

It’s not like criminals are a cowardly, superstitious lot, after all.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Watch out for those Giant Vampire bats. They can carry off a man and he will never be seen nor heard from again.

Or he could come back looking like Baron Blood. :lol:
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Goldar wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:36 pm Watch out for those Giant Vampire bats. They can carry off a man and he will never be seen nor heard from again.

Relax, Ambassador. I called in a friend of mine, she’s an expert in dealing with these sorts of things.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:43 pm
Goldar wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:36 pm Watch out for those Giant Vampire bats. They can carry off a man and he will never be seen nor heard from again.

Relax, Ambassador. I called in a friend of mine, she’s an expert in dealing with these sorts of things.
Oh, good to know. Just glad your friend has a STAKE in it.
Jabroniville

Primates

Post by Jabroniville »

ORDER- PRIMATES:
-Ah, the Primates. How important are they? Well, WE'RE in the Order, and we own the entire planet. So suck it, Cetacea. More to the point, this is slightly less diverse than most groups (Animal books say EVERY group is really diverse, but really, everything in here has mostly similar appearances, especially compared to Carnivora or Cetacea), but contains the smartest animals in the world (save the Dolphins). Apes of various kinds have been used time and again to prove animal intelligence, and have been taught sign language, complex rules, and the use of tools. Nearly every animal in the Order forms large social groups with complicated structures, live in trees, and lives in either Asia, Africa or South America.

-There are eleven Families in the Order, with two major groups- the Prosimians (Lemurs, Tarsiers), and the Simians, which are split into Old & New World Monkeys, and the Apes. New World Monkeys live in South America, and the Old Worlders are in Africa (and to a lesser extent, Asia). Apes are differentiated by sheer size and lack of tails, and are more intelligent.
Jabroniville

Prosimians (Lemurs, etc.)

Post by Jabroniville »

SUBORDER- STREPSIRHINI (Prosimians, Order- Primates):
-Prosimians is a fairly large group of the "lesser" primates, much more primitive creatures such as the Loris, Lemur, Galago, Potto and their respective subgroups. They have doglike snouts, with a better sense of smell than other Primates, but less manual dexterity. They're mostly arboreal, with their small size coming in handy. Unlike most Primates, the males and females around the same size, resulting in mutual aggression between all members of their family groups. Their eyesight is worse than most primates, and they're also a good bit less-intelligent.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Of course, the Simiiformes infraorder does not contain Optimus Prime. Trukk not munky!
Jabroniville

Tarsiers

Post by Jabroniville »

TARSIERS
Role:
Tiny Cute Things
PL 1 (36)- Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 6
Normal Version:
PL 0
STRENGTH -5 STAMINA -5 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+4)
Athletics 12 (+7)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+7)
Perception 6 (+7)

Advantages:
Close Attack 5, Defensive Attack, Improved Initiative 2

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 4 (Acute & Extended Scent, Extended Hearing, Low-Light Vision) [4]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Arboreal) [2]
"Simian Anatomy" Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Speed 2 [2]

"Fun Size" Shrinking 12 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) -- (6 inches) [25]
(-3 Strength, +6 Defenses, +12 Stealth, -6 Intimidation, -1 Speed)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (-5 Damage, DC 10)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness -5, Fortitude +0, Will +1

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Tarsiers cannot speak to humans, and their hands are less-dextrous than most other Primates.
Weakness (Small Size)- At their natural size, Tarsiers are vulnerable to large creatures- even without good accuracy. Anything of Size Rank -2 or more (human size and up) using a melee attack on a Tarsier effectively strike with Burst Area Damage at their strength rank naturally.

Total: Abilities: -22 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 34 / Defenses: 1 (36)

Era: Modern Day
Range: Southeast Asia
Colouring: Grey/white
Size: Up to 6 inches long (less than a pound)
Encounter Groups: Hordes of 2-200
Diet: Insects.
Tactics: Flee at all costs into the trees, sneak-attacks on insects.

-Tarsiers look ludicrously cute, and are giant-eyed Primates who jump about and chase after insects, often using stealthy tricks to do it. They also eat small rodents, bats and snakes- they are the only living primates to be entirely carnivorous. There are thirteen kinds of Tarsier, all of which with the same general features- despite looking like Prosimians, they are more closely-related to monkeys & apes. Their famously-large eyes are often as big as their entire brain, and they're one of few mammals that can turn their head 180 degrees, allowing them to see omnidirectionally without moving. All modern Tarsiers hail from Southeast Asia, and are at least Vulnerable, often Endangered. As arboreal mammals, they are prone to habitat loss, and have proven impossible to breed in colonies, as they have very specific dietary requirements, and may behave suicidally when kept in captivity.

-The Philippine Tarsier, one of the most populous, has the largest eye-to-body ratio of any mammal.

-Tarsiers are pretty much just the Monkey builds stuck onto a Rat or Mouse build for the size, but at a higher PL, with their advanced Defense. They are NOT easy to hit.
Goldar

Re: Tarsiers

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:42 am Image

TARSIERS
Role:
Tiny Cute Things
PL 1 (36)- Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 6
Normal Version:
PL 0
STRENGTH -5 STAMINA -5 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+4)
Athletics 12 (+7)
Perception 6 (+7)

Advantages:

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 4 (Acute & Extended Scent, Extended Hearing, Low-Light Vision) [4]
"Simian Anatomy" Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Speed 2 [2]

"Fun Size" Shrinking 12 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) -- (6 inches) [25]

Offense:
Initiative +6

Defenses:

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Tarsiers cannot speak to humans, and their hands are less-dextrous than most other Primates.
Weakness (Small Size)- At their natural size, Tarsiers are vulnerable to large creatures- even without good accuracy. Anything of Size Rank -2 or more (human size and up) using a melee attack on a Tarsier effectively strike with Burst Area Damage at their strength rank naturally.

Total: Abilities: -22 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 34 / Defenses: 1 (36)

Range: Southeast Asia
Colouring: Grey/white
Encounter Groups: Hordes of 2-200

-Tarsiers look ludicrously cute, and are giant-eyed Primates who jump about and chase after insects, often using stealthy tricks to do it. They also eat small rodents, bats and snakes- they are the only living primates to be entirely carnivorous. There are thirteen kinds of Tarsier, all of which with the same general features- despite looking like Prosimians, they are more closely-related to monkeys & apes. Their famously-large eyes are often as big as their entire brain, and they're one of few mammals that can turn their head 180 degrees, allowing them to see omnidirectionally without moving. All modern Tarsiers hail from Southeast Asia, and are at least Vulnerable, often Endangered. As arboreal mammals, they are prone to habitat loss, and have proven impossible to breed in colonies, as they have very specific dietary requirements, and may behave suicidally when kept in captivity.

-The Philippine Tarsier, one of the most populous, has the largest eye-to-body ratio of any mammal.

-Tarsiers are pretty much just the Monkey builds stuck onto a Rat or Mouse build for the size, but at a higher PL, with their advanced Defense. They are NOT easy to hit.
Reminds me of Peeper!
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Lorises

Post by Jabroniville »

LORISES & OTHER TINY PRIMATES
Role:
Tiny Cute Things
PL 1 (34)- Minion Rank 3, Sidekick Rank 7
Normal Version:
PL 0
STRENGTH -5 STAMINA -5 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+4)
Athletics 12 (+7)
Perception 6 (+7)

Advantages:

Powers:
"Simian Anatomy" Leaping 1 [1]
Speed 2 [2]

Offense:
Initiative +9

Defenses:

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Lorises cannot speak to humans, and their hands are less-dextrous than most other Primates.
Weakness (Small Size)- At their natural size, Lorises are vulnerable to large creatures- even without good accuracy. Anything of Size Rank -2 or more (human size and up) using a melee attack on a Tarsier effectively strike with Burst Area Damage at their strength rank naturally.

Total: Abilities: -24 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 34 / Defenses: 1 (34)

Range: Various
Colouring: Grey/white/brown
Encounter Groups: Solitary.

-Similar to the Tarsiers their fellow Prosimians, included in groups like the Lorises. Of the actual Lorises are the Slender & Slow Lorises. Most weigh a pound or less.

Prosimian Types:

POTTO: Small and largely eat plants. Live in Africa, where they have few predators, as birds of prey in their region are diurnal and not nocturnal. They can live up to 26 years, and mothers will "donate" part of their territory to daughters.
ANGWANTIBO: There are Calabar & Golden Angwantibo, both small African lorises.
BUSHBABIES: There are dozens of species of Bushbabies, more properly called Galagos, all over Africa. The name "Bushbaby" comes from their child-like cries.
SLOW LORISES: Slow Lorises are named for their sloth-like movements, very gingerly moving through forests. These Southeast Asian primates eat small animals and nectar, and have a bite that appears to be a tiny bit toxic, owing to licking a sweat gland in their armpit. This is actually more similar to cat dander than anything, and may be more allergenic than toxic. They are extremely popular as exotic pets in Asia, which threatens their vulnerable populations- they also don't take well to captivity. There are eight different species in total.
SLENDER LORISES: Skinnier, typically faster-moving Lorises that hail from India & Sri Lanka. There are only two varieties- Red & Gray.
Davies

Re: Lorises

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:31 am BUSHBABIES: There are dozens of species of Bushbabies, more properly called Galagos, all over Africa. The name "Bushbaby" comes from their child-like cries.
There's an anime about one of these, interestingly based on the work of a Canadian author. I dimly remember watching a few eps.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Re: Lorises

Post by Jabroniville »

Davies wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:40 am
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:31 am BUSHBABIES: There are dozens of species of Bushbabies, more properly called Galagos, all over Africa. The name "Bushbaby" comes from their child-like cries.
There's an anime about one of these, interestingly based on the work of a Canadian author. I dimly remember watching a few eps.
I REMEMBER THAT!! I always recalled some bushbaby-themed show and retroactively realized it was an anime because of the art style, but I’ve long since forgotten every aspect of it aside from that it existed, and I think it had “To be continued” twists, which I always hated, as I was terrible at remembering when stuff was on, so I’d always miss the follow ups!