BlueBiscuits Builds (MCU Phase 1: Justin Hammer, Whiplash, more incoming)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
BlueBiscuit

Re: BlueBiscuits Builds (MCU Phase 1: Peggy Carter, Howard Stark, Chester Phillips)

Post by BlueBiscuit »

Woodclaw wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:49 pm I like the fact that you refrained from giving Peggy Attractive (although I like Haylee Atwell a lot), but I think that Howard kind of deserves it, given his spectacular track record.
I considered it for both of them, and for Howard I felt that both him and Tony have a way with the ladies more due confidence and charisma (and money, that also helps) rather just good looks. Still, I can see why you would make them Attractive.
BlueBiscuit

Obadaiah Stane (Iron Monger)

Post by BlueBiscuit »

"How ironic, Tony. Trying to rid the world of weapons, you gave it its best one ever. And now, I'm going to kill you with it!"

Obadaiah Stane
PL9

Abilities
Strength [0]11, Stamina [0]4, Agility 0, Dexterity 1, Fighting 1, Intellect 3, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Powers
Iron Monger Armor: Removable (-16 points)
Large Exoskeleton: Growth 4 [Innate, Permanent],
Omnium Armor-plating: Protection 8 [Impervious 8],
Jet Boots: Flight 7 [500km/h]
Alt: Jet-assisted jumping: Leaping 6
Shoulder-Armed missile: Ranged Damage 10 [Burst Area 7]
Alt: Gatling Gun: Ranged Damage 7 [Multiattack]
Alt: Rocket Launcher: Ranged Damage 8
Targeting systems: Enhanced Advantages 19 [Close Attack 9, Ranged Attack 10],
Defense systems: Enhanced Parry 5, Enhanced Dodge 5
(80 points)

Advantages
Benefit 6 [Interim CEO of Stark Industries, Billionaire], Daze [Deception], Fascinate [Deception], Close Attack 9, Ranged Attack 10

Skills
Athletics (+11), Close Combat: Unarmed (+10), Deception 6 (+8), Expertise: Business 10 (+13), Expertise: Engineering 4 (+7), Insight (+2), Intimidation: Note: Perm Growth modifier included. 2 (+6), Perception 4 (+6), Persuasion 6 (+8), Sleight of Hand 4 (+5), Stealth (+0), Technology 4 (+7)

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed +10, Damage 10
Gatling gun +11, Damage 7, Multiattack
Rockets +11, Damage 8
Shoulder Missile +11, Damage 10, Burst Area 7

Defense
Dodge 1/6, Parry 1/6
Toughness 12, Fortitude 5, Will 5

Power Points
Abilities 18 + Powers 81 + Advantages 8 + Skills 20 + Defenses 9 = Total 136

Complications
Motivation - Greed: Stane will do anything for profit, from murder to selling weapons to terrorists.
Power Loss: For all of his claims of his suit being cutting edge, it's weapons systems and wirings are exposed and could easily be disabled by a targeted strike.
Weakness: The Iron Monger suit can't function at the freezing temperatures of the upper atmosphere, where it freezes over and shuts down completely.

Design Notes
-Obadaiah Stane should be technically a pretty forgettable villain ultimately in the grand scope of the MCU, but rewatching Iron Man I found just how much Jeff Bridges acting ability was able to give menace and presence to an otherwise underwritten role. Almost makes me wish that Stane had survived the movie, or at least that the Iron Monger armor survived to be picked up by someone else later.

-I debated whether I should give the Iron Monger suit the standard senses and communication systems that for Power Armor guys, but honestly they never came up in the movie, and aren't difficult to add if I change my mind later on. I'm also unsure about the Large Exoskeleton thing, but it felt appropriate given the Iron Monger is more of a small mech than power suit like Tony's. I ended up making it PL 10 offensively and 9 defensively (Stane essentially never dodges anything Tony throws at him, he just takes it and gets up).
catsi563

Re: BlueBiscuits Builds (MCU Phase 1: Iron Monger)

Post by catsi563 »

Funny enough the Ironmongers pieces were most likely scooped up by Shield anyways. And with Shield going down in Civil war its fully plausible for someone to have reconstituted the armor into a weapon for Hydra or a similar group.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Stane is probably my favorite villain from Phase 1 because he hits many of my "how to write a villain" points.

He has a very credible and consistent goal, which provides a good conflict with the hero.
He's relevant to plot as a character, not just as a threat, providing meaningful interaction throughout the story.
He mirrors the main hero in many ways.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
BlueBiscuit

Post by BlueBiscuit »

What would you guys prefer to see first, Pepper Potts and Happy Hogan or more villains with Justin Hammer, Whiplash and his drones?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

hmmmmmm- maybe add the second movie's characters, THEN Pepper & Happy, as they get the most detailing and "good showings" in the final one.
BlueBiscuit

Justin Hammer

Post by BlueBiscuit »

Insert the "it's been 84 years" meme here :D . Seriously though, Whiplash, the Hammer Drones, Happy Hogan and Pepper are coming soon. Also, I'm going to see Endgame tomorrow so please no spoilers here okay?

"I want them to put me in the Pentagon for the next twenty-five years. I wanna make Iron Man look like an antique. I wanna go to that Stark Expo and take a dump in Tony Stark's front yard. "

Justin Hammer
PL2

Abilities
Strength 0, Stamina 0, Agility 0, Dexterity 1, Fighting 0, Intellect 2, Awareness 1, Presence 1

Advantages
Benefit 3 [CEO of Hammer Industries], Connected, Contacts

Skills
Athletics (+0), Deception 4 (+5), Expertise: Business 6 (+8), Expertise: Weapon's Engineering 3 (+5), Insight 2 (+3), Intimidation 2 (+3), Investigation 1 (+3), Perception 2 (+3), Persuasion 6 (+7), Stealth (+0), Technology 2 (+4)

Offense
Initiative +0

Defense
Dodge 0, Parry 0
Toughness 0 (Def Roll 0), Fortitude 0, Will 1

Power Points
Abilities 10 + Powers 0 + Advantages 5 + Skills 14 + Defenses 0 = Total 29

Complications
Motivation – Pettyness: Justin Hammer is obsessed with getting one over Tony Stark, and he's willing to go pretty far to do it.

Design Notes
-Rewatching Iron Man 2 I honestly found it the weaker of the three movies mostly because of the villains: Justin Hammer's time onscreen felt like it was 90% comic relief, and Whiplash has got to be the MCU villain with the least speaking lines, I think even Ronan got more than him.

-While Obadaiah was both and evil industrialist and an armor guy, being Tony's evil mirror in both ways, Iron Man 2 split the two thing, with Hammer being the evil businessman and Ivan Vanko being the armored villain/scientist.

-Justin doesn't really come across as being threatening like Stane was, or even as smart, but then again I don't think he's meant to. I tried to make him inferior to Obadaiah even as businessman as a result: after all until Tony pulled them out of arms manufactoring apparently Hammer's company was always playing second fiddle to Stark Industries.
Woodclaw

Re: Justin Hammer

Post by Woodclaw »

BlueBiscuit wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:04 pm -Rewatching Iron Man 2 I honestly found it the weaker of the three movies mostly because of the villains: Justin Hammer's time onscreen felt like it was 90% comic relief, and Whiplash has got to be the MCU villain with the least speaking lines, I think even Ronan got more than him.

-While Obadaiah was both and evil industrialist and an armor guy, being Tony's evil mirror in both ways, Iron Man 2 split the two thing, with Hammer being the evil businessman and Ivan Vanko being the armored villain/scientist.

-Justin doesn't really come across as being threatening like Stane was, or even as smart, but then again I don't think he's meant to. I tried to make him inferior to Obadaiah even as businessman as a result: after all until Tony pulled them out of arms manufactoring apparently Hammer's company was always playing second fiddle to Stark Industries.
For me having two villains with separate motivations was one of the strong points of Iron Man 2, since neither was strong enough to carry the entire plot on its own: Vanko didn't have the resources to take on Stark, Hammer didn't have the guts to do so.
Also, I'm kind of biased toward Iron Man 3, since Extremis is one of my least favored storylines and the villain was even more inconsistent than Hammer. Really, by the end of Iron Man 2, everything was set for the Armor Wars storyline. IM3 was really good to advance the overall story arc of the MCU, with Tony sufferig from PTSD (a very reasonable thing, since he was the only Avenger without extensive military training or being a green ball of rage), but as a stand alone movie was terrible.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
BlueBiscuit

Whiplash

Post by BlueBiscuit »

"What your father did to my family over forty years, I will do to you in forty minutes."

Ivan Vanko
PL6

Abilities
Strength 3, Stamina 4, Agility 1, Dexterity 2, Fighting 3, Intellect 4, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Powers
Whiplash Armor MK 1:
Removable (-3 points)
Arc-Powered Plasma Whips: Damage 7 [Strenght-based Damage; Reach 4, Penetrating 5]
Alt: Deflect 9
(14 points)

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Fast Grab, Improvised Tools, Improved Grab, Inventor, Languages 1 [Native Russian, English], Power Attack, Startle, All-out Attack, Improved Initiative 1

Skills
Athletics (+3), Close Combat: Unarmed 5 (+8), Close Combat: Whips 8 (+11), Deception 6 (+8), Expertise: Engineering 9 (+13), Insight 2 (+4), Intimidation 7 (+9), Perception 4 (+6), Persuasion (+2), Stealth 6 (+7), Technology 7 (+11)

Offense
Initiative +1
Unarmed +8, Damage 3
MK 1 Plasma Whips +11, Damage 9

Defense
Dodge 3, Parry 4
Toughness 4 (Def Roll 0), Fortitude 6, Will 5

Power Points
Abilities 42 + Powers 13 + Advantages 10 + Skills 27 + Defenses 8 = Total 100

Complications
Motivation - Revenge: Ivan Vanko blames the Stark family for ruining his and his father's life, and is determined to do the same to Tony.
Power Loss: Without the Whiplash suit Vanko, while still a fairly dangerous man, is no match for Iron Man, or even most of Earth's heroes.

Design Notes
-Rewatching the whole MCU (just missing Infinity War and I'm done btw), I think Whiplash may really be the weakest of all it's villains. That doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't those I actively dislike more, but maybe it's because of Mickey Rourke's performance, but he's just too meh.
Hell, I friend of mine told me that in his opinion the real villain of Iron Man 2 aren't Vanko or even Hammer, but the Arc Reactor tech itself: it's what's killing Tony, both through his own cheastpiece and by proxy through Vanko, what everyone in the world seems to want, it's the legacy of Howard that connects him to the present (beyond Cap's shield).

-Vanko has 2 "armors", one (in the build) that's basically just a harness with an Arc Reactor to power his whips, and another which lasts barely over the 3 minutes of the final fight with Iron Man and War Machine, which is honestly fairly unipressive, it's only real weaponry being still just the plasma whips.

Here's him with the second Whiplash armor:
Abilities
Strength 3 [10], Stamina 4, Agility 1, Dexterity 2, Fighting 3, Intellect 4, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Powers
Whiplash Armor MK 2:
Removable (-10 points)
Armor: Protection 8 [Impervious 8], Arc-Powered Plasma Whips: Damage 7 [Strenght-based Damage; Reach 4, Penetrating 7]
Alt: Enhanced Strength 7
Alt: Deflect 10
Repulsor flight: Flight 7 [500 km/s], Self Destruct system: Feature 1
(39 points)

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Fast Grab, Improvised Tools, Improved Grab, Inventor, Languages 1 [Native Russian, English], Power Attack, Startle, All-out Attack, Improved Initiative 1

Skills
Athletics (+10), Close Combat: Unarmed 5 (+8), Close Combat: Whips 8 (+11), Deception 6 (+8), Expertise: Engineering 9 (+13), Insight 2 (+4), Intimidation 7 (+9), Perception 4 (+6), Persuasion (+2), Stealth 6 (+7), Technology 7 (+11)

Offense
Initiative +5
Unarmed +8, Damage 10
MK 2 Plasma Whips +11, Damage 10

Defense
Dodge 3, Parry 4
Toughness 12 (Def Roll 0), Fortitude 6, Will 5

Power Points
Abilities 42 + Powers 39 + Advantages 10 + Skills 27 + Defenses 8 = Total 126
BlueBiscuit

Re: Justin Hammer

Post by BlueBiscuit »

Woodclaw wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:46 pm For me having two villains with separate motivations was one of the strong points of Iron Man 2, since neither was strong enough to carry the entire plot on its own: Vanko didn't have the resources to take on Stark, Hammer didn't have the guts to do so.
Also, I'm kind of biased toward Iron Man 3, since Extremis is one of my least favored storylines and the villain was even more inconsistent than Hammer. Really, by the end of Iron Man 2, everything was set for the Armor Wars storyline. IM3 was really good to advance the overall story arc of the MCU, with Tony sufferig from PTSD (a very reasonable thing, since he was the only Avenger without extensive military training or being a green ball of rage), but as a stand alone movie was terrible.
I wasn't particularly a fan of the Extremis in the comics as well, but I while the idea of splitting the mirror villain trope into two antagonists is a great idea, I think the execution in Iron Man 2 leaves something to be desired.
That doesn't mean that I don't think that it's not important movie in the MCU as a whle, and in particular for Tony's character arc (which is one of the best part of franchise), but still wouldn't say put it in my top 5 MCU movies list.
catsi563

Re: BlueBiscuits Builds (MCU Phase 1: Justin Hammer, Whiplash, more incoming)

Post by catsi563 »

See for me the only mistake they made and only thing id have done differently with IM2 was I would have had Vanko send Mark Scarlotti in as Whiplash or the race fight scene. then when Scarlotti is beaten he gives up Vanko who has to run. Vanko gets taken in by hammer to design the drones but designs the Titanium man or Crimson dynamo armor and we have the dramatic final battle,
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
BlueBiscuit

Re: BlueBiscuits Builds (MCU Phase 1: Justin Hammer, Whiplash, more incoming)

Post by BlueBiscuit »

Just about to go see Endgame now, be back later tonight with (non-spoiler) thoughts and more builds.