J-Mart Earth-J217: Reopening! Brainiac, Darkseid

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Thorpocalypse

J-Mart Earth-J217: Reopening! Brainiac, Darkseid

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Outside of my recent Overwatch obsession, I’ve been struggling with motivation for building. Usually what snaps me out of it is starting a new thread. So we’re going down that path again. It’s also tradition that I will get back to the old thread eventually so don’t think it’s gone, just won't be getting much love for a little bit.

As far as the “theme” of this thread goes, I am REALLY going to try to focus on experimenting and testing and not just spamming out stuff. But again, I know me, so chances are once I get the feel of this potential setting, the pace will pick up. But I’d like to focus on getting the builds where I want them to be as opposed to completing those imaginary must-do lists in my head.

The builds will also be lower in PL overall and tighter in PL variance. I’ve got a group of builds I want to start with but they’re from all over the place origin-wise, which is a departure from my Thorpocamultiverse philosophy as of late. So the backstory for this world is that Nicol Bolas, the Planeswalker Elder Dragon big bad of the Magic the Gathering setting, got into a massive battle with the Gatewatch and a bunch of other Planeswalkers. In order to avoid defeat, he cast an extremely powerful ancient spell that ruptured the fabric of the Thorpocamultiverse briefly and flung all the participants of the battle, including himself, across the Thorpocamultiverse to random Earths. It also caused other random beings to be misplaced as well, some histories being rewritten and most importantly of all, shutdown Multiversal travel, at least temporarily. So wherever they ended up, they’re stuck on Earth J217, or wherever.

--

STORE DIRECTORY:

THE MERCHANDISE:

AISLE 1 - DC COMICS
AISLE 2 - MARVEL COMICS
AISLE 3 - IMAGE COMICS
AISLE 4 - IDW COMICS
AISLE 5 - DARK HORSE COMICS
AISLE 6 - DYNAMITE COMICS
AISLE 7 - VALIANT COMICS
AISLE 8 - DRESDEN COMICS
AISLE 9 - VIDEO GAMES
AISLE 10 - ANIME
AISLE 11 - MAGIC THE GATHERING
AISLE 12 - GREEN RONIN
AISLE 13 - MISCELLANEOUS MOVIE, TV & LITERATURE
AISLE 14 - ARCHETYPES
AISLE 15 - STAR WARS/STAR TREK
AISLE 16 - ORIGINALS

HOUSE RULES

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J-MART ANNEXES:

J-Mart Prime Location: Nexus of the Thorpocamultiverse
J-Mart Fantasy: World of Gloriant

J-Mart 3E: The Original 3E Superstore! (at Atomic Think Tank)
J-Mart 3E: The Superior J-Mart (at Ronin Army)
J-Mart II 3E - Thorpacoverse Prime (at Ronin Army - Closed)
The J-Mart PC Superstore 3E (at Ronin Army)
J-Mart Fantasy 3E (at Ronin Army)
J-Mart I 2E: The One Stop Shop! (at Atomic Think Tank)
J-Mart II 2E: J-Mart East - Main Setting (Earth-217 - at Atomic Think Tank) Thread
J-Mart III 2E: J-Mart West - ThorpacoDresdenverse Game Setting Thread (at Atomic Think Tank)
J-Mart Settings Thread 2E - The Thorpacoverse (at Atomic Think Tank)
J-Mart 2E Story Hour Location (at Atomic Think Tank)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE VIDEO VESTIBULE (PLAYTESTS AND STORIES):

EARTH-J217 Playtests:

EARTH-J217 STORIES:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AISLE 1 - DC/WILDSTORM/MILESTONE COMICS

Batman
Brainiac
The Chechen
Darkseid
Deathstroke the Terminator
Gorilla Grodd
The Joker
Nightwing
Solomon Grundy
Superman

AISLE 2 - MARVEL COMICS

The Hand
Razor-Fist
Spider-Man (Miles Morales)
Spider-Man (Peter Parker)
Terrax the Tamer
Unicorn

AISLE 3 - IMAGE COMICS

AISLE 4 - IDW COMICS

G.I. JOE:
The Joes:

COBRA:

TMNT:
The TMNT:

TRANSFORMERS:

Autobots:

Decepticons:

AISLE 5 - DARK HORSE COMICS

Grendel

AISLE 6 - DYNAMITE COMICS

AISLE 7 - VALIANT COMICS

AISLE 8 - DRESDEN FILES

Thorpocadresdenverse Originals:

AISLE 9 - VIDEO GAMES

Dead or Alive:

Fatal Fury/King of Fighters:

Final Fantasy:

Hitman:

Killer Instinct:

Mortal Kombat:

Overwatch:

Resident Evil:

Soul Calibur:

Street Fighter:

Tekken:

Tomb Raider:

AISLE 10 - ANIME

AFRO SAMURAI:

BLEACH:

Human World Allies:

The Gotei 13:
1st Division:

2nd Division:

3rd Division:

4th Division:
Captain -
Lieutenant -

6th Division:
Captain -
Lieutenant -

7th Division:

8th Division:
Captain -
Lieutenant -

9th Division:

10th Division:
Captain -
Lieutenant -

11th Division:
Captain -
Lieutenant -
3rd Seat -

12th Division:

13th Division:
Captain -
Lieutenant -

Aizen, Allies and the Espada:

Espada Cero:
Espada Uno:
Espada Dos:
Espada Tres:
Espada Quatro:
Espada Cinco:
Espada Seis:

Hollows:

CASSHERN SINS:

COWBOY BEBOP:

GHOST IN THE SHELL:

FULL METAL ALCHEMIST:

ONE PUNCH MAN:

SAMURAI CHAMPLOO:

SAMURAI JACK:

AISLE 11 - MAGIC THE GATHERING

Planeswalkers:

Jace Beleren

AISLE 12 - GREEN RONIN

Gamma the Atom Smasher
White Knight

AISLE 13 - MISC., MOVIES, TV, LITERATURE

THE BIG BANG THEORY:

EQUILIBRIUM:

THE EXPENDABLES:

FIREFLY/SERENITY:

FLASH GORDON:

GAME OF THRONES:

THE INDIANA JONES TRILOGY (we don't acknowledge Crystal Skull here :x ):

KILL BILL:

PARKS AND RECREATION:

RICK AND MORTY:

SHARKNADO:

THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN:

TRAILER PARK BOYS:

THE VENTURE BROTHERS:

THE WALKING DEAD:

AISLE 14 - ARCHETYPES

Cops
Ninja
Soldiers
Thugs

AISLE 15 - STAR WARS/STAR TREK

STAR WARS:

STAR TREK:

AISLE 16 - ORIGINALS
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:07 am, edited 32 times in total.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Thorpocalypse

Rserved 1

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Reserved
Thorpocalypse

Reserved 2

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Reserved 2
Thorpocalypse

Reserved 3

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Reserved 3
Thorpocalypse

House Rules

Post by Thorpocalypse »

HOUSE RULES: EARTH-T217 VERSE

Of course, you can't just use the rules as written, what's the fun in that? It should go without saying that this is a CONSTANT work in progress as I roll through more tests and new ideas pop into my head.

GAMEPLAY:

ATTACK OF OPPORTUNITY: I’m adding an Attack of Opportunity (AOO) mechanic to close combat. Something still doesn't feel right to me about characters just moving in and out of threatened spaces. Years of D&D programming I guess.

In a fight, everyone is constantly watching for a chance to strike an enemy who is fleeing or passing by. Such a strike is called an Attack of Opportunity. You can make an AOO when an enemy combatant that you can see (or perceive with an accurate enhanced sense) moves out of your reach. To make the AOO, you use your reaction to make one close attack against the provoking opponent. The attack occurs right before the opponent leaves your reach.

With that, there will be a Disengage action added to the Actions list. You can avoid provoking an AOO by taking the Disengage action. If you take the Disengage standard action, your Movement doesn’t provoke Opportunity Attacks for the rest of the turn.

You also don’t provoke an opportunity attack when you Teleport or when someone or something moves you without using your movement, action, or reaction.

You can also avoid an AOO as a move action by succeeding on an opposed Acrobatics vs. Insight or Will (whichever is higher) or an opposed Stealth check against Perception. The Stealth option is only available if the opponent is distracted by Deception, Intimidation or another effect.

COMBAT MANUEVER COMBOS: I'm pretty sure I saw that Jon L confirmed that you are not allowed to use maneuver combos like All-Out/Power Attack at the same time. But I'm allowing it for non-minions with usage of Extra Effort. Characters that have the necessary Advantages for the combos can use them up to the full +5/-5 ranks. I think utilizing the full +5/-5 can be overpowering, but for certain moments, I think it brings excitement to the scene so I decided to allow it in this manner for now.

HERO POINT USAGE – FORCE REROLL: I love the Advantage mechanic in D&D 5E so I am adding an option to Hero Point where you can use an HP to force an opponent to reroll an attack or check roll.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SKILLS:

Nothing yet, but there could be something eventually.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADVANTAGES:

HOUSE ADVANTAGES: Here is a list of homebrew, swiped, converted 2E and eventual new 3E book Advantages (I hope) that I will be using for my personal setting builds:

Accelerated Acrobatics - You can try to cross a precarious surface faster than normal. If you increase the Difficulty Class by 5, you can move your full speed as a move action instead of -1 rank. Moving twice your speed in a round requires the penalty plus two skill checks, Acrobatics and the usual Athletics.
Accelerated Climb - You can try to climb more quickly than normal, at -1 rank instead of -2. You can accept an addition +5 DC to move at full speed.
Accelerated Stealth - You can move up to your normal speed instead of -1 rank. Moving twice
your speed in a round requires the penalty plus two skill checks, Stealth and the usual Athletics.
Cat's Feet: You can operate without detection by normal hearing.
Clean (ranked) - Checks to connect you with a crime increase by DC5 per rank.
Combat Clarity (ranked) - +2 checks to resist Feints, 2nd rank increases to +5.
Combat Leader - Use a Hero Point or Luck (Inspiration) for you and allies in 60 ft radius to get +2 bonus on Initiative rolls.
Conceal Efforts - Anyone who inspects your bindings during a Sleight of Hand escape check must make a Perception check with a DC equal to your Sleight of Hand result to notice your escape attempt.
Cunning Fighter - Use your Attack Bonus instead of Deception to Feint in combat.
Damaging Escape - When you escape from a grab, you get an unarmed attack against the opponent as a free action. You still have to roll to hit.
Deep Ties (ranked) - Gain extra an hero points when faced with an emotionally important complication. Limited to 3 ranks.
Defensive Strike - +2 circumstance bonus on next attack against opponent that misses you in close combat. The bonus does not count against PL caps.
Durable Lie - The target believes your Deception for an additional round.
Eagle Eyes - Your visual perception range increment is 100 ft.
Fighting Climb – You are not vulnerable when climbing.
Forceful Intimidation - You can force your subject to take an action that is against their interests (but not life threatening).
Follow-up Strike - Follow up a critical hit with a free attack action against the same target.
Hide Tampering - You can conceal any tampering with a device. Anyone who inspects the device must make a check against your Technology or Sleight of Hand check result to notice your tampering.
Improved Daze – You can attempt to Daze as a move action without the penalty.
Improved Feint – You may attempt to Feint as a move action without the penalty.
Improved Trick - You may use Deception to bluff or trick as a move action without penalty.
Last Stand - Use Extra Effort to ignore all damage penalties for one round.
Lionheart (ranked) - +2 bonus against Fear and related effects (2nd rank increases bonus to +5). The bonus is limited by PL caps.
Martial Strike (ranked) - +1 unarmed damage per rank. Limited to 4 ranks.
Rallying Cry: As a standard action, you can spend a hero point or use Luck (Inspiration) to grant allies in auditory perception range a new Will save to overcome fear and lasting mental effects.
Rousing Speech (ranked): Choose interaction skill, make DC15 interaction skill check to grant ally +2 bonus to particular check. Additional rank to raise bonus to +5 or select additional interaction skill.
Skill Supremacy (ranked) - Allows you to exceed Skill rank limit by 2 ranks. Additional ranks can apply to additional skills, limited to 3 ranks.
Speed of Thought - Use Intellect modifier instead of Agility modifier for initiative checks.
Sweeping Strike: If you score a successful unarmed attack, you can make a trip attack as a fee action.
Swift: You can add an extra rank of Speed to your additional rank gained with a successful Athletics check.
Tough (ranked) - +1 to Toughness saving throws, limited to 4 ranks.
Unbalancing Strike - When you hit an opponent with a close attack, you can choose to throw them off balance rather than inflicting damage. A success means they are Vulnerable on defense for the next round.
Withstand Damage (ranked) - When using the Defend action, you can reduce your active defenses 2 ranks to increase Toughness bonus by 2 ranks (2nd rank increases to 5 ranks).
Wolf's Ears: Your auditory perception checks have range increment of 100 ft.
Zen Strike - Use your Awareness instead of your Strength for unarmed damage.

Languages: Too expensive in the RAW for my taste. My rule is that Languages rank 1 gives you 2 languages, 2 ranks gives you 5, 3 ranks gives you 10 and so on up the Progression chart. I don't see giving anymore than 3 ranks, but you never know.

Luck: Also, I am using the optional Luck Advantage rule from the GM's Guide that allows a character to have ranks at Luck that reflect each separate application of HP usage. So characters can have:

Luck (Edit Scene)
Luck (Force Reroll)
Luck (Heroic Feat)
Luck (Improve Roll)
Luck (Inspiration)
Luck (Instant Counter)
Luck (Recover)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POWERS:

FLIGHT: I’m adding an option to take a 1 pf Flaw on first rank of Flight to move at 30 fpr/4 mph. Just fits more for slow flying creatures like some of my converted D&D creatures for example.

REGENERATION: Bringing back the Regrowth Extra from 2E. I agree with Jab, you should have an Extra to be able to grow back limbs. Makes Deathstroke’s missing eye with his regenerative powers, but not be able to grow it back, make a lot more sense to me.

Regeneration Rounds: To clarify, this a chart to show which rounds you recover a -1 to Toughness if you have Regeneration.

Healing Factor: Regeneration 1 (1/every 9 rounds [9]); 1 pt
Healing Factor: Regeneration 2 (1/every 5 rounds [5, 10]); 2 pts
Healing Factor: Regeneration 3 (3/every 10 rounds [3, 7, 10]); 3 pts
Healing Factor: Regeneration 4 (4/every 10 rounds [2, 5, 8, 10]); 4 pts
Healing Factor: Regeneration 5 (1/every other round [2, 4, 6, 8, 10]); 5 pts
Healing Factor: Regeneration 6 (6/every 10 rounds [2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10); 6 pts
Healing Factor: Regeneration 7 (7/every 10 rounds [2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10]); 7 pts
Healing Factor: Regeneration 8 (8 out of 10 rounds [2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10]); 8 pts
Healing Factor: Regeneration 9 (9/every 10 rounds [2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]); 9 pts
Healing Factor: Regeneration 10 (1/every round); 10 pts

Regeneration 11 on would be one every round, then add a check per the chart...

TIME IS IMMUTABLE: There is NO TIME TRAVEL in the Thorpocamultiverse. You can have effects that slow or speed up a personal time field but it's more of a kinetic effect as opposed to stopping or accelerating time. Time travel is just a walking plot hole and it's getting overused in all fantasy/comic/sci-fi mediums right now so I am putting a stop to it here.

Story-wise, the Thorpocamultiverse “Big Bang” started untold billions of years ago but there are different universes that aged at different rates. So a setting like The Legion of Superheroes timeline is futuristic but in overall “time”, it’s the same point. No one can meet their future selves but they can interact with versions of themselves from other universes that could be considered their past or future selves.

Of course, if I screw something up bad enough, I reserve the right to retcon this, of course. :)
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thorpocalypse

Reserved 5

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Reserved 5
Thorpocalypse

Reserved 6

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Reserved 6
Thorpocalypse

Superman

Post by Thorpocalypse »

It's a J-Mart Tradition that we start every new thread with...

Dreams Save Us. Dreams Lift Us Up And Transform Us. And On My Soul I Swear Until My Dream Of A World Where Dignity, Honor, And Justice Becomes The Reality We All Share, I’ll Never Stop Fighting. Ever! - Superman

SUPERMAN (KAL-EL)
PL12

OPL: 12; SPL: 6; DPL: 12; FWPL: 12; HP: 1
Height: 6-4
Weight: 225
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black
Skin: Fair
Race: Kryptonian
Identity: Secret
Alignment: Hero
Base of Operations: Metropolis, USA
Team Affiliations: Justice League; JLAXI; Legion of Super Heroes (Honorary)

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 16, STAMINA 13, AGILITY 4, DEXTERITY 4, FIGHTING 6, INTELLECT 5, AWARENESS 5, PRESENCE 5

SKILLS: Athletics (+16), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+8), Deception (+5), Expertise [Farmer] 1 (+6), Expertise [Journalism] 5 (+10), Expertise [Kryptonian Lore] 3 (+8), Insight (+5), Intimidation (+5), Investigation 2 (+7), Perception 5 (+10), Persuasion 8 (+13) [Connected], Stealth (+4), Technology 5 (+10)

ADVANTAGES: Accurate Attack (1) (Unarmed), Beginner's Luck, Benefit (1) (Status - He’s Superman), Connected, Deep Ties* (1), Diehard, Equipment (6), Extraordinary Effort, Inspire (3), Great Endurance, Interpose, Languages (3) (Kryptonian, Spanish, French, Farsi, Russian, 5 others, Base: English), Leadership, Luck (Edit Scene) (1), Luck (Heroic Feat) (1), Luck (Improve Roll) (1), Power Attack (1) (Unarmed), Rousing Speech* (1) (Persuasion), Ultimate Effort (2) (Ultimate Strength Check, Ultimate Toughness Check)

POWERS:
Fire in the Eyes: Feature 1 (Harmless flames that flicker within the depths of the character’s eyes, providing a +2 circumstance bonus to Presence-based checks); 1 pt
More Powerful Than a Locomotive: Enhanced Strength 6 (100,000 Tons; Flaw: Limited to Lifting), Feature 1 (Extraordinary Effect for +2 ranks of strength); 7 pts
Invulnerability: Protection 4, Impervious Toughness 17, Enhanced Advantages 2 (Diehard, Great Endurance), Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support), Regeneration 2 (1/every 5 rounds; Extra: Persistent, Flaw: Limited [Requires exposure to yellow sunlight]); 36 pts
Super Speed: Quickness 8; 8 pts
Super Senses: Senses 19 (Normal Vision [Acute, Extended 3, Penetrates Concealment, Flaw: Cannot see through lead], Normal Hearing [Extended 3], Infravision [Extended], Microscopic Vision 4 [Atomic], Ultra-Hearing [Extended]); 19 pts
Faster Than a Speeding Bullet: 25 pt Dynamic Array; 29 pts
Able to Leap Tall Buildings: Flight 12 (8,000 mph/16 mpr; Extra: Dynamic); 25 pts
Super Speed: Speed 12 (8,000 mph/16 mpr), Enhanced Quickness 4 (Extra: Dynamic); 2 pts
Space Travel: Movement 2 (Space Travel 2 [Other star systems]); 1 pt

Powers Far Beyond Those of Mortal Men: 30 pt Array; 32 pts
Heat Vision: Ranged Heat Energy Damage 14 (Extra: Accurate 2); 30 pts
Freezing Breath: Cone Area Cumulative Affliction 10 (Ice; Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; 1st: Hindered, 2nd: Immobilized, 3rd: Paralyzed; Extra: Cone Area [60 ft cone]); 1 pt
Super-Breath: Cone Area Move Object 10 (Air; Extra: Cone Area x2 [120 ft cone], Flaw: Range [Close], Limited Direction [towards or away]); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(30 pts)
Headquarters: (29 pts)
Fortress of Solitude: Size – H, Tough – 20, Features - Communications, Computer, Concealed 3 [+20 DC], Defense System, Habitat, Hangar, Holding Cells, Infirmary, Isolated, Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Personnel [Kelex and Robots], Power System, Security System 2 [DC25]), Trophy Room; 29 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +2
Close Attack +6
Unarmed +8 [Unarmed +16]
Ranged Attack +5
Heat Vision +8 [Heat Vision +14]
Special Attack [Super Breath Move Object +10, Cone Area; Freeze Breath Affliction +10, Cone Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +7 [DC17] Parry +7 [DC17]
Toughness +17 (+17 without Defensive Roll, +9 Impervious), Fortitude +14, Will +10

COMPLICATIONS:
Power Loss: Superman loses his powers and his ability stats are reduced to STR 3, STA 3, AGL 2, DEX 2 under a red sun, like that of Krypton, and other effects draining or interfering with the energies of the yellow sun can deprive him of his powers.
Relationships: Superman’s closest relationship is with his wife, Lois Lane and his son, Jon Lane Kent. Other important people in his life include his mother and father, Martha and Jonathan Kent, his cousin, Supergirl, his clone Kon-El, and friends and co-workers Jimmy Olsen, Perry White, and Catherine “Cat” Grant and of course, his loyal dog, Krypto. In the superhero community he is close to Batman, Wonder Woman, Captain America and Thor.
Responsibility: Superman feels a strong sense of responsibility to use his powers for the benefit of all.
Secret Identity: Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter for the Daily Planet.
Vulnerable: Kryptonians are as vulnerable to magic as anyone else. They lose their ranks of Protection and their Toughness is not Impervious against magical attacks.
Weakness: Kryptonite...Its radiation saps the Strength and powers of Kryptonians, leaving them impaired, disabled, and eventually debilitated in terms of Strength and power effects. Long-term exposure (usually a matter of minutes, less for a large enough amount) imposes the dying condition and may lead to death.

Abilities 116 + Skills 14 (28 ranks) + Advantages 27 + Powers 131 + Defenses 10 = 298 / 298

Build Comments: I’m setting my Earth-J217 builds at a lower level overall than my main builds. I wanted to have some more street level builds to play around with that seem closer to the cinematic/television universes that the big companies have created. I’m still working on defining things, so there will be some tweaks. But I’m kind of thinking that PL-8-9 ish will be the baseline instead of PL10. And as I have tried to do before (and ended up giving in power creep, which could happen again) I’m trying to keep all the characters closer in PL, like between 8-13, for more competitive fights. Team wrecker and jobber villains can go anywhere they need to, of course.

With that, Superman is at the top of my scale for heroes at PL13. His core mechanics are the same as my main Kryptonians, of course, just scaled back. I like that he seems beatable by a PL10 powerhouse/paragon type, kinda of like he was in the Timmverse.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:34 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Thorpocalypse

Solomon Grundy

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Solomon Grundy, born on a Monday,
Christened on a stark and stormy Tuesday,
Married on a grey and grisly Wednesday,
Took ill on a mild and mellow Thursday,
Grew worse on a bright and breezy Friday,
Died on a grey and glorious Saturday,
Buried on a baking, blistering Sunday.
That was the end of Solomon Grundy.

SOLOMON GRUNDY
PL10

OPL: 10; SPL: 7; DPL: 10; FWPL: 9; HP: 1
Height: 6-7
Weight: 980
Eyes: Black
Hair: White
Skin: White
Race: Human Zombie
Alignment: Villain
Base of Operations: Gotham City, NJ, USA
Team Affiliations: The Legion of Doom

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 14, STAMINA 14, AGILITY 0, DEXTERITY 0, FIGHTING 4, INTELLECT -2, AWARENESS 0, PRESENCE -1

SKILLS: Athletics 3 (+17), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+6), Deception (-1), Intimidation 11 (+10/+12), Insight (+0), Perception (+0), Persuasion (-1), Stealth (0/-2)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Fearless, Improved Grab, Power Attack (1) (Unarmed)

POWERS:
Grundy Size: Growth 2 (+2 Str, +2 Sta, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth, +1 Intimidation, Speed +0, +2 Mass; PF: Innate); 5 pts
Undead Physiology: Immunity 40 (Fortitude Effects, Mental Effects [Flaw: Half Effect]); 35 pts
Impervious Hide: Protection 1, Impervious Toughness 13; 14 pts
Buried on Sunday…Born on a Monday…: Immortality 1 (One Month, Flaw: Uncontrolled); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +0
Close Attack +4
Unarmed +6 [Unarmed +14]
Ranged Attack +0

DEFENSES:
Dodge +4 [DC14] Parry +5 [DC15]
Toughness +15 (+7 Impervious), Fortitude Immune, Will +3

COMPLICATIONS:
Naïve: Grundy is often fooled into helping out a new “friend.”
Obsession: Ending his cycle of death and rebirth.

Abilities 50 + Skills 8 (16 ranks) + Advantages 6 + Powers 55 + Defenses 10 = 129 / 129

Build Comments: Grundy has pants in the Thorpocaverse... ;)

This Grundy is meant give heroes in like Supes a fight but not win without help.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:31 am, edited 5 times in total.
Jack of Spades

Re: J-Mart II - Married on a grey and grisly Wednesday...Solomon Grundy

Post by Jack of Spades »

Good to see you posting again, Thorp. And I like the scale idea; I try to run my own game with the same kind of PL range.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Jack of Spades wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:28 am Good to see you posting again, Thorp. And I like the scale idea; I try to run my own game with the same kind of PL range.
Thanks, Jack. I always try to stick to that range and then power creep sets in and off I go. But this time I have another thread for that so this time things should flow as I hope.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

squirrelly-sama wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:02 am Ah Solomon Grundy, I used to think he was a loser villain. Then came the infamous episode of JLU where he teamed up with Hawk Girl and died. Had me crying bitch tears I tell you what.
I didn't cry but I was definitely choked up. It was an awesome episode.

I do so love how the voice actor for Doctor Fate says Grundy. It sounds like "Grondy". 8-)
Thorpocalypse

Batman

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Maybe That's What Batman Is About. Not Winning. But Failing, And Getting Back Up. Knowing He'll Fail, Fail A Thousand Times, But Still Won't Give Up. - Batman

BATMAN (BRUCE WAYNE)
PL10

OPL: 10; SPL: 10; DPL: 10; FWPL: 9; HP: 1
Height: 6-2
Weight: 225
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black
Skin: Fair
Race: Human
Alignment: Hero
Base of Operations: Gotham City, USA
Team Affiliations: Justice League

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 4, STAMINA 5, AGILITY 5, DEXTERITY 7, FIGHTING 12, INTELLECT 10, AWARENESS 7, PRESENCE 7

SKILLS: Acrobatics 8 (+13), Athletics 9 (+13), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+16), Deception 6 (+13), Expertise [Criminology] 5 (+15), Expertise [Science] 5 (+15), Expertise [Streetwise] 5 (+15), Insight 8 (+15) [Assessment], Intimidation 9 (+16/+20) [Skill Mastery, Skill Supremacy, Startle], Investigation 10 (+20) [Contacts, Skill Mastery, Skill Supremacy, Well-Informed], Perception 11 (+18), Persuasion 6 (+13) [Connected], Sleight of Hand 8 (+15) [Conceal Efforts, Hide Tampering], Stealth 13 (+18) [Hide in Plain Sight, Skill Mastery], Technology 5 (+15) [Inventor], Treatment (+10), Vehicles 4 (+11)

ADVANTAGES: Assessment, Beginner's Luck, Benefit (6) (Status – Bat God, Wealth 5 [Billionaire]), Close Attack (2), Conceal Efforts*, Connected, Contacts, Deep Ties* (2) (Obsession, Responsibility), Defensive Attack (2) (Batarang, Unarmed), Defensive Roll (1), Eidetic Memory, Equipment (27), Evasion (1), Extraordinary Effort, Hide Tampering*, Improved Critical (1) (Unarmed), Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative (1), Inventor, Jack-of-all-Trades, Languages (3) (Japanese, French, Russian, Spanish, 6 others, Base: English), Leadership, Master Plan*, Mobility* (1), Move-by Action, Power Attack (1) (Unarmed), Precise Attack (2) (Close, Concealment; Ranged, Concealment), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack (7), Skill Mastery (3) (Intimidation, Investigation, Stealth), Skill Supremacy* (2) (Intimidation, Investigation), Startle, Takedown (1), Tracking, Trance, Ultimate Effort (1) (Ultimate Will), Uncanny Dodge, Well-Informed

POWERS:
The Batsuit: 20 pts Traits, Removable (-4 pts); 16 pts
Kevlar Weave: Protection 2, Immunity 2 (Critical Hits, Flaw: Limited [Ballistics only]); 3 pts
The Cowl: Enhanced Skills 2 (Intimidation 4 ranks), Feature 1 (Batcomputer A.I.), Senses 2 (Low Light Vision, Infravision), Commlink (Communication 3 [Radio, Statewide/Small Nation, Extra: Subtle, Flaw: Limited to Bat Family]); 15 pts
The Cape: Flight 4 (30 mph/500 ft pr, Flaw: Gliding, Uncontrolled); 2 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(135 pts)
Grapple Gun: (6 pts)
Grappling: Move Object 4 (Flaw: Limited to pulling towards); 4 pts
Swinging: Movement 1 (Swinging); 1 pt
Grapple Pull: Leaping 2 (30 ft; Flaw: Requires anchor); 1 pt
Lockpicks: Feature 2 (Tools, Sleight of Hand/Technology), Concealable; 3 pts
Utility Belt: (35 pts)
Bat Gadgets: Variable 1 (5 pts traits; Any tool or skill equipment, Free Action, Quirk [Limited to 2 equipment points or less]); 6 pts
Bat Flash Bang Grenade: Burst Area Affliction 6 (Resisted, Overcome by Fortitude; 1st: Visually and Auditory Impaired, 2nd: Visually and Auditory Disabled, 3rd: Visual and Auditory Unaware, Extra: Burst Area [30 ft radius], Extra Condition); 18 pts
Bat Tear Gas Grenades: Cloud Area Affliction 6 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; 1st: Dazed and Visually Impaired, 2nd: Stunned and Visually Disabled, 3rd: Incapacitated, Extra: Cloud Area [15 ft radius], Extra Condition); 1 pt
Batarang: Ranged Strength-Based Damage 2, Ricochet 2, Variable Descriptor (Bludgeoning, Slashing); 1 pt
Exploding Batarangs: Ranged Burst Area Ballistic Damage 6, Extra: Burst Area (30 ft radius), Flaw: Diminished Range (5/10/25), Unreliable (5 uses); 1 pt
Bat Shuriken: Ranged Multiattack Piercing Damage 2; 1 pt
Thermite: Burst Area Damage 9, Extra: Burst Area (30 ft radius), Triggered, Flaw: Unreliable (5 uses); 1 pt
Smoke Pellet: Enhanced Advantage 1 (Hide in Plain Sight); 1 pt
Bolo: Ranged Grabbing 4, Flaw: Diminished Range (10/25/50); 1 pt
Smoke Grenade: Cloud Area Concealment 4 (Visual, Resisted by Dodge; Extra: Attack, Cloud Area [15 ft radius]); 1 pt
Mini-Tracers: Senses 1 (Tracking [Radio], 5 Mile range); 1 pt
Antitoxin: Feature 1 (+5 bonus on resistance checks against toxins); 1 pt
Handcuffs: Feature 1 (Toughness 9, DC20 Sleight of Hand/Technology); 1 pt
Vehicles: (58 pts)
The Batplane: Size - H, Strength - 10, Flight - 11, Def - 8, Tough - 11, Features – Autopilot, Cloaking, Communications 2, Computer, Navigation System 2 [+10], Remote Control, Air-to-Air Missiles: Ranged Burst Area Ballistic Damage 10 (Extra: Burst Area 8 [30 ft radius], Homing 6); 55 pts
The Batmobile: Size - H, Strength - 9, Speed - 6, Def - 6, Tough - 11, Features - Alarm 4 [DC35], Autopilot, Caltrops, Communications 2, Computer, Hidden Compartments 2 [DC25], Impervious Toughness 5, Navigation System 2 [+10], Oil Slick, Remote Control, Smokescreen,; 1 pt
The Batboat: Size - L, Strength - 9, Speed - 6, Def - 6, Tough - 10, Features - Alarm 4 [DC35], Autopilot, Communications, Computer, Hidden Compartments 2 [DC25], Navigation System 2 [+10], Remote Control, Smokescreen, Impervious 5); 1 pt
The Batpod: Size - M, Strength - 2, Speed - 6, Def - 10, Tough - 9, Features - Alarm 4 [DC35], Autopilot, Communications, Computer, Hidden Compartments 2 [DC25], Navigation System 2 [+10], Remote Control, Smokescreen, Impervious 5; 1 pt
Headquarters: (32 pts)
The Batcave/Wayne Manor: Size – H, Tough – 12, Features - Combat Simulator, Communications, Bat Computer 2 [+5 Intelligence Based Skill Checks], Concealed 3 [+20], Defense Systems, Dock, Fire Prevention System, Garage, Grounds, Gym, Hangar, Holding Cells, Infirmary, Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Power System, Secret, Security System 4 [DC35], Trophy Room, Workshop; 32 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +10
Close Attack +14
Unarmed +16 [Unarmed +4, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +14 [Batarangs +6; Bat Shuriken +2, Multiattack; Exploding Batarangs +6, Burst Area]
Special Attack [Thermite +9, Burst Area; Bat Flash Bangs Affliction +6, Burst Area; Bat Tear Gas Affliction +6, Cloud Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +12 [DC22] Parry +12 [DC22]
Toughness +8 (+7 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +8, Will +10 (Ultimate Effort)

COMPLICATIONS:
Enemy: The Joker, Ra's Al Ghul, Bane, Two-Face, Catwoman (sometimes) and a litany of others.
Flashbacks: Batman is sometimes stunned by traumatic flashbacks to the night his parents were murdered, especially in connection to Crime Alley, where the killings took place.
Obsession: Batman is driven to fight crime by the murder of his parents and the promise he made to rid Gotham of the evil that took their lives.
Relationships: He has strong relationships with Tim Drake-Wayne, Dick Grayson-Wayne, Damian Wayne, Cassandra Cain-Wayne, Alfred Pennyworth, Jason Todd, Commissioner Jim Gordon, Lucius Fox, Barbara Gordon, Zatanna, Superman and Wonder Woman. And sometimes Catwoman.
Responsibility: Batman sees Gotham as "his city" and protects it fiercely.
Rivalry: It’s more from Ollie’s side than his, but he has a bit of a rivalry with Green Arrow. And he and Hal Jordan and Steve Rogers don’t see eye to eye often, either. But there is always respect.
Secret Identity: He has a secret identity of Bruce Wayne that he protects fiercely.

Abilities 114 + Skills 57 (114 ranks) + Advantages 84 + Powers 16 + Defenses 13 = 284 / 284

Build Comments: This take on Bruce has him dropped a little bit in skill ranks and I tried to reign in some of his Advantages, but I kinda failed there. Still, he’s a lot more street level than my main version and some low level criminals en masse might have a chance at taking him out, however unlikely.

One of the areas I’m trying focus on limiting more in this setting is limiting Toughness ranks. Originally I thought that Jab was a bit stingy with that for his street level builds, but the more I test, the more I realize that he’s more in line than the DCA builds are. With a +5 toughness, you’re technically able to take, or avoid as much damage as a slightly above average person wearing core book plate mail. That’s pretty substantial. At +8 Toughness, this Batman can still take an ungodly amount of punishment from human/peak human foes.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:27 am, edited 5 times in total.
Thorpocalypse

The Joker

Post by Thorpocalypse »

You know what I've noticed? Nobody panics when things go "according to plan"... even if the plan is horrifying. If, tomorrow, I say that, like, a gang-banger will get shot, or a truckload of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics, because "it's all part of the plan". But I say that one little old mayor will die... and everybody loses their minds! Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos. Oh, and you know the thing about chaos? It's fair. - The Joker

THE JOKER
PL9

OPL: 9; SPL 6; DPL: 9; FWPL: 8; HP: 1
Height: 6-3
Weight: 175
Eyes: Green
Hair: Green
Skin: White
Race: Human Mutate
Alignment: Villain
Base of Operations: Gotham City, NJ, USA
Team Affiliations: None

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2, STAMINA 4, AGILITY 4, DEXTERITY 5, FIGHTING 10, INTELLECT 6, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 7

SKILLS: Acrobatics 3 (+7), Athletics 7 (+9), Close Combat [Short Blades] 4 (+14), Deception 9 (+16) [Daze, Improved Trick, Taunt], Expertise [Chemistry] 7 (+13), Expertise [Criminal] 7 (+13), Insight (+2), Intimidation 9 (+16) [Daze, Second Chance, Startle], Perception 3 (+5), Persuasion (+7), Sleight of Hand 7 (+12), Stealth 8 (+12), Technology 4 (+10), Vehicles 2 (+7)

ADVANTAGES: Benefit (1) (No ID), Daze (2) (Deception, Intimidation), Defensive Roll (3), Diehard, Equipment (8), Favored Foe (Batman), Fearless, Improved Critical (1) (Short Blades), Improved Initiative (1), Improved Trick*, Last Stand*, Luck (Edit Scene) (1), Luck (Improve Roll) (1), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack (7), Seize Initiative, Set Up (1), Startle, Taunt

POWERS:
Better Living Through Chemistry: Immunity 1 (Poisons/Toxins); 1 pt
Shattered Mind: Immunity 5 (Mind Control); 5 pts
Lucky Escape: Immortality 5 (1/day, Flaw: Limited [to Circumstances of Plausible Survival]); 5 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(40 pts)
Heavy Pistol: Ranged Ballistic Damage 4; 8 pts
Knife: Piercing Strength-Based Damage 1, Dangerous; 2 pts
Bag of Tricks: (14 pts)
Joker Venom: Affliction 8 (Resisted by Fortitude; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Stunned, 3rd: Incapacitated, Extra: Reach 2 [10 ft]), Feature 1 (Victim face contorted into wide grin), Inaccurate; 10 pts
Squirting Acid: Acid Damage 4 (Extra: Secondary Effect, Reach 2 [10 ft]); 1 pt
Joy Buzzer: Electrical Damage 8, Subtle; 1 pt
Marbles: Cone Area Affliction 8 (Resisted by Dodge; 1st: Hindered, 2nd: Prone, Flaw: Instant Recovery, Limited to Two Degrees, Limited [targets must be on ground]); 1 pt
Razor Sharp Playing Cards: Ranged Multiattack Piercing Damage 2; 1 pt
Headquarters: (13 pts)
Abandoned Amusement Park: Size - H, Tough - 8, Features - Deathtraps 3, Defense System, Garage, Holding Cells, Laboratory, Living Space, Security System, Workshop; 13 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +8
Close Attack +10 [Unarmed +2; Acid Damage +4]
Joy Buzzer +8 [Joy Buzzer +8]
Joker Venom +8 [Joker Venom Affliction +8]
Short Blades +14 [Knives +3, Critical 18-20]
Ranged Attack +12 [Razor Sharp Playing Cards +2, Multiattack; Heavy Pistol +4]
Special Attack [Marbles Affliction +8, Cone Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +11 [DC21] Parry +10 [DC20]
Toughness +7 (+4 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +9

COMPLICATIONS:
Insanity: The Joker is completely insane, and therefore prone to irrational and unpredictable behavior. He thrives on chaos, and creates it.
Obsession: The Joker's one goal above all others is to mess with and eventually kill Batman. Any other plans, alliances, personal gains, etc. are all secondary. Trademark: The Joker’s ego compels him to taunt, leave clues and otherwise make it clear he is responsible for his crimes.

Abilities 80 + Skills 35 (70 ranks) + Advantages 35 + Powers 11 + Defenses 17 = 178 / 178

Build Comments: Why so serious?
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:56 am, edited 3 times in total.