Proditor's Pad of Pop Culture and V&V. (NEW! Princess M'Krell and Singularity from Golden Heroes!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
proditor

Re: Proditor's Pad of Pop Culture and V&V. (NEW! Race Bannon & Dr. Quest)

Post by proditor »

HADJI QUEST

Hadji Quest - PL 4

Strength 0, Stamina 1, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 4, Intellect 1, Awareness 3, Presence 1

Advantages
Animal Empathy, Daze (Deception), Defensive Roll, Luck 2, Set-up, Teamwork

Skills
Athletics 3 (+3), Deception 3 (+4), Expertise: History 2 (+3), Expertise: Philosophy 2 (+3), Expertise: Theology 1 (+2), Insight 1 (+4), Perception 1 (+4), Persuasion 2 (+3), Sleight of Hand 2 (+4), Stealth 1 (+7)

Powers
Child Sized: Shrinking 4 (-1 STR, -2 Intimidate, +4 Stealth, +2 active defenses, -1 size rank; Innate; Permanent)
Hypnotism: Affliction 4 (1st degree: Entranced, 2nd degree: Compelled, Resisted by: Will, DC 14; Limited Degree)
. . Sim Sim Salabim: Move Object 1 (Alternate; 100 lbs.)

Offense
Initiative +2
Grab, +4 (DC Spec 10)
Hypnotism: Affliction 4, +4 (DC Will 14)
Sim Sim Salabim: Move Object 1, +2 (DC 11)
Throw, +2 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +4 (DC 15)

Complications
Fame: Hadji is well known worldwide as a member of Team Quest

Motivation: Doing Good: Hadji enjoys adventure, but is more motivated to help others. This takes greater precedence for him.

Relationship: Jonny: Hadji is inseperable from his brother

Relationship: Dr. Benton Quest: Hadji will do anything to protect his adoptive father.

Relationship: Race Bannon: Hadji has great respect and affection for his guardian and mentor.

Defense
Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 2, Toughness 2/1, Will 5

Power Points
Abilities 30 + Powers 12 + Advantages 7 + Skills 9 (18 ranks) + Defenses 5 = 63

-Hadji is the adopted son of Dr. Benton Quest, and brother to Jonny. It's unclear when Hadji was adopted, it's apparently after the Zarathustra incident, but still some time before the events of Future Quest. By the time we encounter him in Future Quest, the dynamic is well established of the two brothers seeking adventure under the watchful eye of their one man murder team; Race bannon.

-He and Jonny are yin and yang in personality; Hadji tends to be cautious while Jonny charges in blindly seeking adventure and thrills. That said, Hadji is no shrinking violet, and he is as capable physically as Jonny. He also brings some mesmerism/fakir tricks to the party in terms of his rapport with animals, his hypnotism, and levitation skills.

-The build is mostly a repeat of Jonny, but with some tweaks in the skills, and the addition of his Fakir abilities. He demonstrates the animal rapport and hypnotism pretty early on, and like Jonny, has a healthy smattering of Luck on his side.
Last edited by proditor on Fri May 25, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
proditor

Post by proditor »

And hey, that's Team Quest! I got through them quicker than I thought I would, but it's not like Jonny and Hadji required a ton of work. Also, I totally cribbed the dog design from somewhere else and just made him smaller.

Depending on work tomorrow, I may get to another sheet or two before the weekend. Of course my weekends lately are busier than my week days, so we'll see if anything productive happens game-wise. :lol:
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

These are great. Thank you for taking the time to post some of the greatest childhood memories of mine. What I loved about the Jonny Quest cartoon was that most of the time the bad guys received a well deserved end. The thought of being eating by a komodo dragon was chilling to me as a kid. Haha.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Hadji is so famous that his name is given by American & Canadian forces to enemy units in the Middle East, the way "Charlie" was to North Vietnamese in the '60s :).
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I'm loving these builds so far, and I'm honored to be quoted in the opening. :D

When it comes to me, my three main fandoms are roleplaying games, comic books and animated series, though I clearly love other genres and the like. But I always loved the old HB action cartoons. I think my first exposure to them was the series "Space Stars" back in the 1980s, an hour long block where we'd see some classic HB action cartoons, 80s versions of heroes like Space Ghost and the Herculoids, new heroes like the Teen Force and Space Ace/Astro/the Space Mutts, and then an episode where the heroes would crossover with each other.

After that we got Cartoon Network and Boomerang, where we'd get to see classic Space Ghost, Jonny Quest, Birdman, Mightor, Mighty Samson and Goliath, the Herculoids, Dino-Boy, the Impossibles, Frankenstein Jr., etc. Some of them were goofier than others, but they were all fun in their own way.

Makes me kind of hope we'll see other HB series like the Teen Force, Thundarr the Barbarian and others show up.

Anyway, like I said, these builds are very solid, and the Quest family could easily work in a superhero universe, with Dr. Quest being the sort of Reed Richards of the setting, Race being all around badass and Jonny/Haji both contributing. A good point is made about how the boys didn't usually save the day, but would often find a way to help, often by setting up things for Race. But it was interesting how Jonny was the title character, but Dr. Quest and Race were generally more active in the series.

Also, in an era where race is a hot button topic, you kind of have to give HB credit for including Haji in a prominent role, and making him just as important as the title character, and often more helpful.

Damn, now I kind of want a Jonny Quest/Captain Marvel team up.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

Ares wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:34 pm Makes me kind of hope we'll see other HB series like the Teen Force, Thundarr the Barbarian and others show up.
Boomerang, when it had "Action Figure" or "Action Sundays" ran Thundarr the Barbarian. I know what you mean about the Teen Force. The Space Ghost/Herculoids Power Hour was where they showed up.
Damn, now I kind of want a Jonny Quest/Captain Marvel team up.
Me too now.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
proditor

Re: Proditor's Pad of Pop Culture and V&V. (NEW! Jonny, Hadji, & Bandit!)

Post by proditor »

JEZEBEL JADE

Jezebel Jade - PL 7

Strength 1, Stamina 2, Agility 4, Dexterity 4, Fighting 7, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence 3

Advantages
Agile Feint, Attractive 2, Benefit, Alternate Identity 3: JD Ballou, Jane Ayden, Jade X, Benefit, Wealth 2 (independently wealthy), Connected, Contacts, Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 3, Grabbing Finesse, Improved Aim, Improved Trip, Improvised Tools, Instant Up, Luck (Edit Scene), Luck (Instant Counter), Move-by Action, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 3, Takedown, Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge, Well-informed

Skills
Acrobatics 4 (+8), Athletics 5 (+6), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+9), Deception 5 (+8), Expertise (DEX): Dance 3 (+7), Expertise: Art 2 (+4), Expertise: Criminal 5 (+7), Expertise: Current Events 4 (+6), Expertise: Espionage 6 (+8), Expertise: Streetwise 5 (+7), Insight 3 (+5), Intimidation 2 (+5), Investigation 5 (+7), Perception 3 (+5), Persuasion 6 (+9), Ranged Combat: Light Pistol 2 (+6), Sleight of Hand 3 (+7), Stealth 4 (+8), Technology 2 (+4), Treatment 3 (+5), Vehicles 3 (+7)

Equipment
Cell Phone (Smartphone), Concealable Microphone, Knife, Light Pistol, Lock Release Gun, Parabolic Microphone

Offense
Initiative +4
Grab, +7 (DC Spec 14)
Knife, +7 (DC 17)
Light Pistol, +9 (DC 18)
Throw, +7 (DC 16)
Unarmed, +9 (DC 16)

Complications
Motivation: Greed: Jade gets paid. Period.

Motivation: Thrills: Jade won't accept jobs that don't offer at least some degree of challenge.

Relationship: Race Bannon: Jade is either head over heels in love with Race, or she wants to embaress him at every turn. Possibly both.

Rivalry: Other spies: Jade's one of the very best and has the ego to back it up. She's not above showing up other operators.

Defense
Dodge 9, Parry 8, Fortitude 4, Toughness 4/2, Will 4

Power Points
Abilities 50 + Powers 0 + Advantages 31 + Skills 39 (77 ranks) + Defenses 10 = 130

-Not a lot is known about the mercenary for hire named Jade X. She operates primarily in the Seychelles and Maldives, but she has popped up in other locations to the surprise of Team Quest. They've bumped heads on several occasions, and Race and Jade have some history. Lately, Jade has been in the employ of F.E.A.R. and working in concert with Dr. Archimedes Zin. When she discovered F.E.A.R.s plans to save the world only after a few cities has fallen, she switched sides and helped Zin and Dr. Quest escape. Now she's on the side of the Inter-Nation, at least until they save the planet. After that, all bets are off.

-Her reach is pretty global, and her skills reflect this outlook. She is versed in multiple languages, is a world class combatant in either hand to hand or ranged combat, and she can pilot pretty much anything defined as a vehicle. Jade is beautiful, and not above using her skills as a seductress to gain advantage. She's equally adept at working covert recon as she is storming a fortified position and she'll use whatever tools the current job requires for her to succeed.

-Jade is like a half step behind Race, with a few tweaks. She is absolutely top tier in terms of capabilities. Her load out above reflects a primarily deep cover mission. If she requires heavier hardware or body armor, she'll have it. Her arsenal is almost as diverse as Team Quest's, especially when she's working for F.E.A.R. At one point, she even uses an invisibility suit. Feel free to pillage the Gadget Guide or build some nice toys for her if you need her at near superhuman level.
Last edited by proditor on Fri May 25, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Proditor's Pad of Pop Culture and V&V. (NEW! Jezebel Jade!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Was Jade in the original cartoon, or later stuff?
proditor

Post by proditor »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:22 pm Was Jade in the original cartoon, or later stuff?
She was in both iirc.

I took a peek at some folks who remember better than i do, and yeah, Jade was actually the only woman to be in multiple episodes of the original series. She popped up n the follow-ons as well since she's arguably the strongest female character, and also her mercenary stance allows her to be enemy or ally as the story progresses.
Devastation Bob

Post by Devastation Bob »

I know I'm late, but LOVED the Hawk the Slayer builds.
proditor

Post by proditor »

DR. ARCHIMEDES ZIN

Dr. Archimedes Zin - PL 4

Strength 0, Stamina 1, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 2, Intellect 7, Awareness 2, Presence 3

Advantages
Benefit, Wealth (well-off), Contacts, Eidetic Memory, Equipment 7, Fascinate (Deception), Inventor, Leadership, Luck (Edit Scene), Luck (Instant Counter), Luck 2, Sidekick, Skill Mastery: Expertise: Science, Skill Mastery: Technology, Well-informed

Skills
Expertise: Criminal 2 (+9), Expertise: History 1 (+8), Expertise: Military 2 (+9), Expertise: Politics 1 (+8), Expertise: Science 7 (+14), Intimidation 4 (+7), Investigation 2 (+9), Perception 2 (+4), Technology 7 (+14), Vehicles 4 (+4)

Equipment
Cell Phone (Smartphone), Dr. Zin's Secret Lab

Offense
Initiative +0
Grab, +2 (DC Spec 10)
Throw, +0 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +2 (DC 15)

Complications
Motivation: Power: Dr. Zin want's to be a in a situation to rule the world because things will work so much more smoothly once he's in charge.

Relationship: F.E.A.R. is his current employer, though once he leaves them, they switch to an Enemy.

Rivalry: Dr. Benton Quest: Dr. Zin regards Dr. Quest as his only real competition and will go out of his way to out shine him

Rivalry: Dr. Linda-Kim Conroy: Dr. Zin doesn't actively work against Dr. Conroy, but he will steal her designs at the drop of a hat. She invented the Spider-bots for instance.

Defense
Dodge 4, Parry 4, Fortitude 1, Toughness 1, Will 6

Power Points
Abilities 30 + Powers 0 + Advantages 21 + Skills 16 (32 ranks) + Defenses 10 = 77

-Dr. Archimedes Zin is regarded as one of the three most brilliant people on the planet. He was part of the Zarathustra project to end warfare, but during that time he was apparently in contact with several dubious sources, and he disappeared immediately after the bomb went off that killed several of the project's people. He was underground for a long time, only to emerge in conflict with Dr. Quest as the latter began to investigate a series of odd energy portals opening around the world. He had teamed with the group known as F.E.A.R. and wiht their resources, Zin was able to gain a march on Team Quest. He recently mamanged to steal the Ghost ship and Jayce from under Team Quest's nose, and even effected the capture of Dr. Quest himself. Once Benton was on site however, Zin confessed that he thought F.E.A.R. wouldn't save the world, so he helped Quest escape with ample assistance from Jezebel Jade. Reunited with his former colleagues Quest and Conroy, the scientists began working on machinery to stop the Omnikron from destroying Earth.

-Welcome to Dr. Quest lite. Well, only sort of though. Zin was conceived originally as a pastiche villain; Dr. No meets Blowfeld. He was vaguely Asian, yet spoke with an Eastern European accent. But you know what he did have? Menace, and those walking spider-eye things. As the Jonny Quest various series and movies rolled around, Zin kept coming back, changing a little bitch each time to reflect the times. He went from Commie threat, to Asian stereotype, to now, just a bad guy possibly by circumstance in the comic. His face change in the later issues doesn't feel off or forced though, and he seems genuinely terrified when he agrees with Quest that Earth is pretty much fucked unless they pull something brilliant out of their asses.

-Like Quest, Zin is support. I made him one step "dumber" than Quest, but slightly more skilled. So the net effect is that they are comparable geniuses, but Zin has to work harder at it, which really feels spot-on to me, so excuse me while I congratulate myself on how awesome I am. ANYWAY...he gets the obligatory secret super-science base, and most of the skills that make him the dark part of the science trio that is Quest, Conroy. and Zin. Oh, and of course, I included the eyeball mecha. It would be criminal to do otherwise.

Dr. Zin's Secret Lab - PL 7

Toughness 14, Size Awesome

Features:
Communications, Computer, Concealed 2, Deathtraps, Dock, Fire Prevention System, Garage, Grounds, Hangar, Infirmary, Isolated, Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Personnel, Power System, Security System 2, Workshop

Power Points
Abilities 6 + Powers 0 + Advantages 0 + Features 20 + Skills 0 (0 ranks) + Defenses 4 + Equipment 0 (0 ep) + Weapons & Armor 0 (0 ep) = 30

BATTLE DRONES

Battle Drones - PL 8
Strength 7, Stamina -, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 4, Intellect -, Awareness 0, Presence -

Skills
Perception 6 (+6), Ranged Combat: Blast: Damage 8 4 (+6)

Powers
Armored: Protection 4 (+4 Toughness; Impervious [4 extra ranks])
Blast: Damage 8 (DC 23; Increased Range: ranged; Diminished Range 2)
Comm Unit: Radio Area Communication 1 (Area, Subtle: encrypted)
Growth: Growth 4 (+4 STR, +4 Tough, +2 Intimidate, -4 Stealth, -2 active defenses, +1 size rank, +4 mass ranks)
Immunity to Fortitude Effects
Sensory Eye: Senses 6 (Darkvision, Infravision, Low-light Vision, Microscopic Vision 1: dust-size, Ultravision; Limited: Only one vision mode at a time)
Spider Speed: Speed 3 (Speed: 16 miles/hour, 250 feet/round)

Offense
Initiative +2
Blast: Damage 8, +6 (DC 23)
Grab, +4 (DC Spec 17)
Throw, +2 (DC 22)
Unarmed, +4 (DC 22)

Defense
Dodge 5, Parry 7, Fortitude Immune, Toughness 8, Will Immune

Power Points
Abilities -8 + Powers 76 + Advantages 0 + Skills 5 (10 ranks) + Defenses 10 = 83

-General blurb: These things are tough vs. small arms and can even resist light tank guns with a little luck, but they aren't invulnerable. The beam is devastating, and Blast 8 feels about right for the world setting. They looks real impressive until Birdman comes along and is all like "Oh hai noobs, I'm gonna pwnz you with EZ." and then he does exactly that. So they should be a legit threat to norms, and a viable one vs. supers if they have some numbers. Most important part: They are sidekicks, not minions,. No one shotting with minimum damage on these babies.
Last edited by proditor on Fri May 25, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RUSCHE

Re: Proditor's Pad of Pop Culture and V&V. (NEW! Dr. Zin and his Spider Drones!)

Post by RUSCHE »

YES!!! Zin,Spider battle drone...my day is complete. Great job.
Skaramine

Re: Proditor's Pad of Pop Culture and V&V. (NEW! Dr. Zin and his Spider Drones!)

Post by Skaramine »

Prod, your description of Birdman versus the Spider Drones just is pure love. :)

Plus, I'm using a variant of these guys in a novel.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
proditor

Post by proditor »

Devastation Bob wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 2:55 am I know I'm late, but LOVED the Hawk the Slayer builds.
Thanks! The movie very firmly falls onto my guilty pleasure list.
RUSCHE wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 6:48 pm YES!!! Zin,Spider battle drone...my day is complete. Great job.
Thanks! There's no way to do Zin without the Spider drones IMHO. They are so iconic.
Skaramine wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 8:05 pm Prod, your description of Birdman versus the Spider Drones just is pure love. :)

Plus, I'm using a variant of these guys in a novel.
Thanks as well! Admittedly I might have been on a bit too much caffeine when I penned that bit. ;)

Good luck with your novel! The Quest team really does provide a nice iconic set of characters for both good and bad guys without necessarily feeling dated. I think that's why Venture Brothers hit so feel as a parody.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I remember watching the original Spider Drone episode of Jonny Quest and how unstoppable the damn thing seemed, given it took tank fire to even get its attention. And then seeing Birdman just up and "nope" the thing out of existence shows that the writers also watched Birdman and how he basically blew apart robots for a living.

I can't stress enough how nice it is to see these guys shown as the heroic powerhouses they started out as an not the butt of jokes later shows made them into. They seem to downplay the relative superstrength guys like Birdman and Mightor had, but I can see that being due simply to having other superstrong characters to focus on, like Igoo (who was the strongest HB hero).
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.