Dragon's Den

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
kenmadragon

Dragon's Den

Post by kenmadragon »

Hello, Multiverse!

Given everyone else is doing build-threads and stuff, I'm feeling a bit left out. And since I need something to do in my free-time between waiting for game-post updates and RL hounding me, I'm just going to start my own thread to post things I create on a whim. Not really sure if it'll be anything focused like J-Mart or Jab's or any of those titans of build-thread-master-dom, but I suppose this humble dragon will be satisfied with just his smaller, more personal hoard.

Enjoy!
kenmadragon

Re: Dragon's Den

Post by kenmadragon »

ICONS: Assembled Edition Builds

Superman

James Bond
Last edited by kenmadragon on Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

Saved for Possible Future Use.
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

Saved for Possible Future Use. At this point, I think I'll end my post-reservations though.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

:D YAY!!
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
kenmadragon

Look Up In The Sky! It's SUPERMAN!

Post by kenmadragon »

"The seas are sapphires, the fields and forests emeralds. The Himalayas gleam like diamonds. The strange blue world to which my father sent me. If you knew how you are loved, not one of you would raise a hand in rage again." ~ Superman, JLA/Hitman #2

“Superman's greatest and most necessary failing . . . his inability to see himself as the inspiration he is.” ~ The Spectre, Kingdom Come

SUPERMAN
Origin: Unearthly

Prowess 6
Coordination 6
Strength 9
Intellect 5
Awareness 5
Willpower 6

Powers:
Blast 8
Damage Resistance 7
Flight 8
Life Support 6
Super Senses 6 (Extended Hearing, Extended Vision, Infravision, Microscopic Vision, Ultra-Hearing, X-Ray Vision)

Specialties:
Journalism
Leadership Expert

Stamina 15
Determination 1

Qualities:
"The Big Blue Boyscout"
"Just A Mild Mannered Reporter"
"Last Son of Krypton!'

Notes:
It's sort of a tradition to start with Superman, I suppose.

Anywho, where to start with the Man of Tomorrow? Man, I love that moniker. Which is a good place as any, huh? Among the first superheroes in comics, I could go into the history of Superman and what makes him so awesome, but I honestly don't care all that much of the history. Well, except for the fun details and stuff, but you can always get those elsewhere. There are books written about the man in the red cape, and are likely far more informative than I.

Still, I have to admit that Superman makes for a rather Iconic figure as a superhero. He's a become such a stereotype that TVTropes calls him The Cape. Still, he cuts an impressive figure no matter the era, and while many a writer and artist may attempt to capture the true essence of Superman in their media (or twist it into something that misses the point entirely - *glares at Snyder*), the truth is that everyone looks at Superman differently. But I think we can all agree on some common points.

Superman is one of the most powerful superheroes on Earth. No matter the era or media, he's almost always a "tog dog". My stats reflect a more modest showing of the Man of Steel, more influenced by the Timmverse cartoons (because I grew up watching Justice League and Justice League Unlimited). That is to say that Superman is clearly a heavy-weight contender in the world of superheroes and supervillains, capes and cowls, etc and etc. He doesn't have a single stat lower than 5, and his Strength is still within mortal comprehension. Save those higher levels of power for "World of Cardboard" speeches and the times when he really cuts loose.

And yet, despite being very much an inhuman individual, Superman is still one of the most down-to-earth superheroes out there. He's an honest man who tries to do the right thing, and follows his conscience even when the whole world thinks he's wrong. It's always heartening to see how human Clark Kent really is, whether it be in his day-to-day life, or those small moments of mundanity that sprinkle the like of Superman, who will between battling super-villains and stopping armed robberies still find the time to rescue a pernicious cat stuck in a tall tree.

There's a lot I like to say I learn from reading Superman comics. Well, when he's written in the hopeful and inspiring way I like to view him, at least. But still, when written at his best, Superman is one of my favorite superheroes. And it always bring a smile to my face whenever I hear the words:

"Look up in the Sky! It's a Bird! It's a Plane! It's..."

Superman!
Last edited by kenmadragon on Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I'm very curious to see what you come up with!
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Is that the iconic Superman, in Icons?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

Ken wrote:Is that the iconic Superman, in Icons?
Why yes. Yes it is. :D
kenmadragon

Vodka Martini - Shaken, Not Stirred

Post by kenmadragon »

My Name is Bond. James Bond.

“Miss Anders! I didn’t recognize you with your clothes on.”

AGENT 007
Origin: Trained

Prowess 6
Coordination 5
Strength 4
Intellect 4
Awareness 5
Willpower 6

Powers:
Blast Device 4 (Shooting)
Gadgets 6

Specialties:
Athletics Expert, Linguistics, Military, Seduction Expert, Spy Expert, Stealth, Weapons Expert (Guns)

Stamina: 10
Determination: 4

Qualities:
The Quintessential Gentleman Spy
Agent 007, License to Kill
The name is Bond. James Bond.

Notes: I was bored, so I decided to stat up Agent 007: James Bond. Bond is one of the best spies in the trade. A highly decorated veteran of the espionage game, this represents a Bond in his physical and mental prime. As his stats show, this Bond is a blend of the grit of the modern Bond and the style/panache of his older incarnations.

His Blast is Bond's firearm of choice - first the Beretta 418, and later the more iconic Walther PPK - which is normally Shooting Damage 3. However, OO agents are trained in the "one shot, one kill" in order to exercise their licence to kill, and thus Bond is just as deadly with his Walther as he is with a much larger Magnum. Not to mention that he tends to pick up weapons where he can, as he needs them. The Gadgets are the wonderful toys he gets from Q-Branch. Bond is given one gadget du jour for free at the start of a session by the Quartermaster, and typically has to spend Determination to get a gadget in the field as a form of ret-conning "I just happened to requisition that".

Bond is also very much a skill-monkey. An expert in many forms of athletics and sports (like golf and skiing), he's also a skilled investigator and skulker. He's an excellent marksman, and picked up several languages in his decorated career. Of note are the two non-traditional specialties he's been given: Spy and Seduction, in which Bond is an Expert in both. The Spy specialty covers knowledge and dealings withing the world of espionage, and adds its bonus when used for actions involving Tradecraft, such as double talk, covert ops, demolitions, information control, and all sorts of other general spy-skills. The Seduction specialty is rather more straightforward - apply the bonus to Bond's Willpower when he seduces or beguiles the opposite sex.

Now, I've got to say that James Bond is a rather personal favorite of mine. My dad was a big fan of the Bond films, and had a almost all of them on VHS. I have a lot of memories watching those movies with my dad and brother, curled up on the couch with them as we shared a huge comforter and stuff as we watched in the dark to make the experience all the better. It was kind of funny, because my brother and I were kids, so whenever anything 'adult' was about to happen in the movies, he'd tell us to duck our heads under the thick comforters while the scene was muted and fast-forwarded past. And if anything plot-relevant happened during that interval (ie. almost never), he'd just inform us as we tuned back in.

Fun times.

So I guess I don't really have a 'favorite' Bond. I never read any of Fleming's books, but I guess it wouldn't matter so much given how much my view of James Bond was set in stone by the experience of watching the movies with my dad. I still haven't seen all of them, but that's not so important, I guess. Nevertheless, I've always had fun watching James Bond, and he's an excellent model for the ever-fun archetype of gentleman spy. And yes, I know the movies aren't all that realistic, but that never made them any less fun to watch! Though, I will say that a lot of jokes my dad was laughing about when watching the movies make a lot more sense now that I'm older... :mrgreen:
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

So, I'm on winter holiday right now, and given I've been watching the new Justice League action show, it reminded me quite a bit about Icons, so I figured I'd start putting up my conversions of the Neotropolis game I'm playing in for Icons: Assembled Edition. Because it occurs to me that some of the mechanical issues we sometimes run into in Neotropolis might be better handled by Icons.

Though, honestly, some of the Neotropolis heroes are array-dependent enough that I just did the best I could. But for the most part, they weren't so difficult.

Note - I'm approximating by ALOT. Some of the higher level benchmarks get kinda vague, so I'll do the best I can. If you're a player (past or present) in the Neotropolis setting, or even just a lurker who's been following our game, feel free to stop on by the Den to pitch your two cents! More treasure for the treasure hoard!
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I'm looking forward to it kenma. I've been impressed every time that you show them and would love to see some great comments from people more familiar with the system.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.