Jab’s Builds! (Whomp 'Em! Plumbers Don't Wear Ties! ToeJam & Earl!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Mentallo

Post by Jabroniville »

MENTALLO (Marvin Flumm, aka Think Tank)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Strange Tales #141 (Feb. 1966)
Role: Telepath
Group Affiliations: S.H.I.E.L.D., HYDRA, The Resistants, A.I.M.
PL 10 (164)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+6)
Deception 5 (+7)
Expertise (Criminal) 5 (+7)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Gun) 2 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+3)
Technology 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 5 (S.H.I.E.L.D. Battlesuit), Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Telepathy"
"Mental Detection" Senses 4 (Mental Awareness- Ranged, Radius, Acute) [4]
"Psychic Screen" Enhanced Will Save 6 (Flaws: Limited to Mental Attacks, Sustained +0) [3]
"Mental Probes" Senses 4 (Ranged Accurate Radius Radar Sight) [4]

Mind-Reading 8 (Feats: Dynamic) Linked to Mental Communication 1 [21]

"The Fixer's Gear" (Flaws: Removable) (Feats: Restricted to Mentallo 2) [68]
"Anti-Psionic Helmet"
Immunity 20 (Mental Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) (10)

"Boosted Psionic Powers"
"Focused Mind Control" Mind Control 10 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Sustained +2) (61) -- (72)
  • Dynamic AE: Mind-Reading 2 (total 10) (Extras: Effortless 10, Sensory Link 10) Linked to Mental Communication 1 (total 2) (Feats: Subtle) (Extras: Area 2, Selective 2) (30)
  • Dynamic AE: "Group Mind Control" Mind Control 6 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Selective) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) (31)
  • Dynamic AE: "Mental Stun" Affliction 9 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Perception Range +2, Cumulative) (37)
  • Dynamic AE: "Mental Bolt" Damage 8 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Perception Range +2, Will Save) (33)
  • Dynamic AE: Remote Sensing 8 (Mental- 4 miles) (Feats: Dynamic) (9)
  • AE: "Mental Illusions" Illusion (All Senses) 10 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Selective) (Flaws: Resisted by Will) (50)
-- (82 points)

Equipment:
"Battlesuit"
"Flying Discs" Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Platform) (5)
Protection 2 (2)
"Rocket Gun" Blast 7 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited Uses) (14) -- (15)
  • AE: "Pistol" Blast 5 (10)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Mind Control +10 Perception (+10 Perception Affliction, DC 20)
Mental Stun +9 Perception (+9 Perception Affliction, DC 19)
Pistol +8 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Mental Blast +8 Perception (+8 Perception Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +1 (+3 Battlesuit), Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Mentallo is out for himself, plain and simple. He wants to make a quick buck, and get out.
Power Loss (Telepathy, vs. Animals)- Mentallo was incapable of controlling Reptil in a dinosaur form. However, he HAS controlled the Kaiju of Monster Island.

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 100 / Defenses: 17 (164)

Mentallo- Journeyman Mind Controller:
-Mentallo is one of those lifelong bottom-tier Marvel villains that somehow managed to stick around. He's also one of those weird characters who would've fit WAY better into the DC Silver Age- the "something-O" name says it all, really. Not to mention the lifeless, dull villain design, the silly goggles, and his weak concept. He's basically your garden variety Mind Controller, but he needs The Fixer's specially-designed gear to use most of his powers to their full potential. He's been a D-League Jobber villain for decades, and SHOCKINGLY was able to duck both Scourge AND Decimation, which took out hundreds of other lame characters combined. Truly a lucky S.O.B.

-Mentallo was a mutant Telepath hired to join S.H.I.E.L.D.'s ESP Division, but turned out to be a mole, working with The Fixer to take over the organization themselves. Nick Fury fought them off, and he later joined a HYDRA cell led by Silvermane. Later opponents included the first Deathlok (Luther Manning), Professor Xavier, and the Fantastic Four, often with the Fixer as his ally. Falling into disuse, he joined The Resistants in the 1990s- a band of TRUE jobbers made up of the members of the middle-era Brotherhood of Evil Mutants (you know; the shitty ones like Peepers & Quill that Jack Kirby crapped out on a bad day, who even CLAREMONT never utilized). Here, he changed his name to "Think Tank" and wore their big yellow outfit with the blue "R" on the front. Quickly beaten by Captain America, he went back to Mentallo in the next story.

-He started a mass breakout in The Vault due to the treatment of Truman Marsh, but his powers were amplified and used by Iron Man to convince the other prisoners to surrender. A true "Filler Villain", he popped up in background scenes and as one-off threats here and there, just doing the "Journeyman" thing. At one point, he bullied the HULK into submission by imitating the Hulk's abusive father, and sent him against the Avengers.

M.O.D.O.K.'s Seven:
-In the 2000s, he was a major character in M.O.D.O.K.'s 7, a Villain Heist Limited Series that was kind of a way to give props to, and utilize, many of the undervalued Journeyman Villains in the Marvel Universe (including The Spot and The Puma). He annoyed the hell out of me in that, because he WOULD NOT STOP CALLING PEOPLE "BUBBELEH". I mean, a CLAREMONT character would be like "Bozche Moi, okay, I get it- you're ethnic. Stop using a vocal confirmation of it!". I mean, it was agoninizing- the thing that wouldn't bug you reading month-to-month, but in every issue? At once? It's basically "M.O.D.O.K. Bubbeleh." and "Oh, bubbeleh, we should do ____." and all that. He spams it out like Kilowog spams out "Poozer" if you read a Green Lantern Corps.-related trade. In the story, Mentallo figured out that M.O.D.O.K. had merely used the ILLUSION of money to ply them, and that the Chameleon was actually Spider-Man using a disguise. Unfortunately, this character was playing a DOUBLE-bluff, and was actually the ULTRA-ADAPTOID, mimicking Spider-Powers while disguised as the Chameleon. And so when Mentallo came to him with the idea to sell their allies out to the Avengers for money... the Ultra-Adaptoid vaporized him.

Later Mentallo:
-Of course, the VERY NEXT WRITER didn't seem to realize this, and so Mentallo un-died and showed up alive later with no explanation (remember the days when villains would spend two pages after their reveal giving exposition about their entire history up till that point? Explaining every loss, and why they're not actually dead? I kind of miss those days). He was in prison, joined The Hood's army, fought Reptil and the Avengers (he was savaged when Reptil turned into a dinosaur, too savage to control), then tried to control the Kaiju of Monster Island on behalf of Roxxon Oil, but was beaten by the X-Men. He was then seen as a member of the High Council of A.I.M., alongside Andrew Forson, Superia, and others. He was most recently seen an inmate of Pleasant Hill prison.

Mentallo- Pricey Mind Control:
-Mentallo ends up being way pricier than a crappy jobber ever should, mainly because he's got a baseline Mental Power, but gets a bunch of others with his Gear on, which necessitates making an entire Array with his core powers outside of them. It's confusing and kind of a pain in the ass, but it pretty much entails all that he can do. He's actually PL 10, but then most of my Mind Controllers end up in that zone- they tend to overwhelm almost any hero on the first go, and it takes some effort for the good guys to break out of it. The fact that he needs a Device to do it also weakens him. Also he's a giant sissy who can't stand up to any kind of punching or kicking, so super-teams are his downfall (he can do a Mind Control, but at a lower level). There was a time he was also running around in a mini-tank that had his head sticking out of it (like a Powersuit or something) that had some built-in guns and grappling arms, so you can alternately do that.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goldar

Re: Jab’s Builds (Namora! Moira MacTaggert! Magneto!)

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:56 am OH MY GOD YOU PEOPLE

Once again, you have all sorely, SORELY let me down.

I was reading my backlog of comic books from the local shop, and you know what I read? Fantastic Four #5. Featuring a series of vignettes with Guest Artists and tons of gags. And what did I see in this issue?

Adam Hughes drew Thundra.

ADAM HUGHES DREW THUNDRA!! IN AN EVENING GOWN! WITH A SLIT UP THE SIDE OF ONE LEG! BEATING UP MEN!! WHILE ACTING SUPER-DOMINANT!!!

WHY DID ADAM HUGHES DRAW THIS AND NOBODY TELL ME ABOUT IT!?!

Haven't I been good to you all? I DEMAND A REASON FOR THIS OBVIOUS LACK OF TACT.

And "I didn't read the issue" is no excuse. I should have been told immediately. Damn you all :P.
I didn't know! I didn't know. No one told me, either. :shock:
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

When did the Mindless Ones change in color from purple-Gray to green? Is that their new look?

Glad to see your accurate stats on Mentallo. One of the old RPGs had him with higher stats than Jean Grey (if I remember correctly), which I knew was incirrect, even way back then.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Goldar wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:06 am When did the Mindless Ones change in color from purple-Gray to green? Is that their new look?

Glad to see your accurate stats on Mentallo. One of the old RPGs had him with higher stats than Jean Grey (if I remember correctly), which I knew was incirrect, even way back then.
Jean Grey is only so d**m powerful because she hosts the Phoenix Force. On her own, she’s fairly average, psychically.
Jabroniville

Mr. FX

Post by Jabroniville »

MR. FX
Created By:
Bob Budiansky & Bret Blevins
First Appearance: Sleepwalker #8 (Jan. 1992)
Role: Haunted House Maker

-Mr. FX is a scientist-type guy who kidnaps people in order to trap them in monstrous exoskeletons... for his haunted house? SERIOUSLY? He has the ability to TURN PEOPLE INTO MONSTERS and THAT'S his plan to monetize that skill? Jesus, no wonder he never reappeared. In any case, Mr. FX kidnaps both Deathlok (Michael Collins) and Rick Sheridan for haunting-related purposes, but Deathlok is convinced by the Sleepwalker entity to K.O. Sheridan, allowing Sleepwalker to spring forth from his unconscious mind, and fight the monsters. Deathlok destroyed the cyberspace thing keeping the exoskeletons moving, waking up the victims. Mr. FX, however, escaped, and never appeared again.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
JDRook

Post by JDRook »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:38 am Meanwhile, Edmonton has legit superheroes, lol: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gjGCoEHFDfk. Hawaiian Shirt Guy and 2x4 Guy have already entered local lexicon.

Ps this takes place literally a block from my apartment, and two from my work :).
I think I know that area. I keep forgetting you live a 3 hour drive from me.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

By the way Jab, given your Mortal Kombat builds weren't all that long ago, I'm curious if you've been paying any attention to MK 11 that's coming out.

Story Trailers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zwQPJmg-Kg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPPbdSK_lrY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX6iU733-TA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev_xOVRQ23o

Character Trailers
Johnny Cage - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YStrXVGt60w
Sonya Blade - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9iDKVcw2Uc
Cetrion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg5hHQX3Mk0
Geras - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oojkL-5CS2Q

They might be getting that upgrade to Street Fighter PLs. I'd definitely recommend checking out the Sonya video, her voice actress seems right up your alley.

Overall, it's kind of sad that even with the time travel shenanigans, the MK timeline STILL makes way more sense to me than either the Street Fighter or Tekken timelines.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Hoid wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:29 pm If Magneto is a boy in WWII, then by 2019 he’d be pretty darn elderly. Eventually, it’ll be required something happening to explain Magneto’s never-ending lifespan. That’s the problem for Marvel, why it needs a reboot—-if it all happened ‘ten years ago’, then Mags is easily pushing a hundred, by now—-if not more!
Magneto was once turned into a child and then returned to adulthood at a younger age than he originally was, I think that's how they explain his age. Similarly Professor X consciousness was transferred to a cloned body and Punisher has been mystically re-set to his physical prime at least twice.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:36 am By the way Jab, given your Mortal Kombat builds weren't all that long ago, I'm curious if you've been paying any attention to MK 11 that's coming out.

Story Trailers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zwQPJmg-Kg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPPbdSK_lrY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX6iU733-TA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev_xOVRQ23o

Character Trailers
Johnny Cage - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YStrXVGt60w
Sonya Blade - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9iDKVcw2Uc
Cetrion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg5hHQX3Mk0
Geras - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oojkL-5CS2Q

They might be getting that upgrade to Street Fighter PLs. I'd definitely recommend checking out the Sonya video, her voice actress seems right up your alley.

Overall, it's kind of sad that even with the time travel shenanigans, the MK timeline STILL makes way more sense to me than either the Street Fighter or Tekken timelines.
Rousey got badly exposed as a fighter, is a Sandy Hook truther, and is only hot because she’s an above-average attractive woman who happens to be capable of kicking ass. She stinks. But yes, it’s hot.

The designs of the characters, and the arbitrary way obviously-fatal blows AREN’T Fatalities, is strange to me. Poison Ivy looks good, though.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:57 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:38 am Meanwhile, Edmonton has legit superheroes, lol: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gjGCoEHFDfk. Hawaiian Shirt Guy and 2x4 Guy have already entered local lexicon.

Ps this takes place literally a block from my apartment, and two from my work :).
Holy crap, a real life Firefly. That's crazy.

Thank goodness for Hawaiian Shirt Guy and 2x4 Guy. They're not the heroes you deserve, but the they're the heroes you need. 8-)
Behold: The YEGvengers.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.reddit. ... mightiest/
Jabroniville

Morgan Le Fay

Post by Jabroniville »

MORGAN LE FAY
Created By:
Stan Lee & John Maneely
First Appearance: Black Knight #1 (May 1955)
Role: Evil Wizard, Sexy Evil Broad
Group Affiliations: The Darkholders
PL 15 (353)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Deception 5 (+10, +12 Attractive)
Expertise (Magic) 15 (+20)
Expertise (History) 6 (+11)
Insight 3 (+8)
Intimidation 6 (+11)
Perception 5 (+10)
Persuasion 2 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Magic) 8 (+12)

Advantages:
Artificer, Attractive, Daze (Intimidation), Fearless, Power Attack, Ritualist, Well-Informed

Powers:
"Immortal"
Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]
Immortality 15 [30]

"Magical Might"
Flight 7 (250 mph) [14]
Force Field 10 [10]
Senses 4 (Detect Magic- Acute, Analytical & Ranged) [4]
Morph 4 (Any Form) [20]
Shapeshift (Creature Forms) 6 [42]

Teleport 14 (Feats: Increased Mass 6, Change Direction & Velocity, Dynamic) (Extras: Accurate, Extended, Portal +2) (Flaws: Standard Action) (79) -- [106]
  • Dynamic AE: "Telepathy" Mind Reading 10 (20) & Mental Communication 5 (20) -- (41)
  • Dynamic AE: Mind Control 14 (Feats: Dyamic) (57)
  • Dynamic AE: "Astral Projection" Remote Sensing (Vision & Hearing) 16 (Feats: Dynamic, Subtle) (50)
  • Dynamic AE: Eldritch Blast 18 (Feats: Improved Critical 2,
  • Dynamic, Affects Insubstantial, Affects Astral Plane Travellers) (Extras: Penetrating 10) (51)
  • Dynamic AE: "Eldritch Wave" Damage 15 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Penetrating, Area- 60ft. Cone) (45)
  • Dynamic AE: Illusion (Vision & Hearing) 14 (Feats: Dynamic) (43)
  • Dynamic AE: "Improved Field" Force Field +4 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Impervious 15) (20)
  • Dynamic AE: Concealment (All Senses) 10 (Extras: Affects Others, Area) (41)
  • Dynamic AE: "The Crimson Bands of Cyttorak" Snare 14 (Feats: Reversible) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Selective) (72)
  • Dynamic AE: Move Object 14 (Extras: Perception Range) (42)
  • Dynamic AE: Create 12 (Feats: Precise, Innate) (Extras: Movable, Selective, Stationary +0) (51)
  • AE: Movement 3 (Dimensional Travel) (Feats: Increased Mass 6) (Extras: Portal +2) (19)
  • AE: Healing 16 (Extras: Restorative) (48)
  • AE: Movement 3 (Time Travel 3) (6)
  • AE: "Transmutation" Transform Anything to Anything Else 14 (6 tons) (70)
  • AE: Nullify Energy Effects 12 (Extras: Concentration, Broad) (48)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Mind Control -- (+14 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 24)
Blast +12 (+18 Ranged Damage, DC 33)
Eldtritch Wave +15 Area (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Crimson Bands +14 Area (+14 Ranged Affliction, DC 24)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+14-18 Force Field), Fortitude +8, Will +11

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Le Fay seeks The Darkhold for its power.
Vulnerable (Cold Iron)- Le Fay is part-Fairie, and shares their weakness to "cold iron", which is apparently steel. She can also not affect objects made of the stuff with her magicks.
Relationship (Dr. Doom)- Doom is man enough to please her (she trains him in magic, and he gives her the lovin's), though her vast power makes this a somewhat-contested partnership.

Total: Abilities: 76 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 227 / Defenses: 19 (353)

-Morgan Le Fay is a character from English mythology- possibly the half-sister of King Arthur, she was the mother of Mordred, who also sought the throne. Being a very well-known, old-school, PUBLIC DOMAIN villain, it was perhaps inevitable that she would become a comic book character.

-Morgan, surprise, surprise, was actually a SPIDER-WOMAN villain for the longest time, being a recurring threat in Jessica Drew's solo book in the 1970s. She's actually debuted in the '50s series Black Knight (fitting, as it was an Arthurian Tale-themed book), but that book didn't make it out of its birth-decade. She was retconned into a member of a group using The Book of the Darkhold to summon the Elder God Chthon, and is seeking the book in modern times. Her old partner/lover Magnus hid the book away and became a Spider-Woman ally. Le Fay attempted to influence Jessica Drew in numerous ways, including forceful recruitment, but ultimately her physical body was destroyed in combat with Drew's astral form. Once the Spider-Woman book was cancelled, Morgan faced Dr. Strange and The Black Knight (Dane Whitman), sending the Dreadknight, the Fomorians and others against the heroes, but vanished until the debut of the Busiek/Perez Avengers book, where she used the Scarlet Witch and the Twilight Sword to restructure reality into a medieval world (aka "Perez likes drawing armor and costume redesigns, so here's your rad Excuse Plot").

-She reappears in modern times, having it out for her lover/student Dr. Doom, as she invades Earth with a massive undead army, requiring Doom to call The Cabal for help- Norman Osborn arrives with The Dark Avengers. She resurrects herself multiple times during the course of the battle, forcing Osborn & Doom to go back in time and do some weird stuff that involves magically sending her to the ancient-er past. She's reappeared during Avengers World with another conquering scheme, but is again undone.

-It's kind of funny, because comics seem to have been struggling lately to find some kick-ass female villains (the natural inclination of many writers is to just make them good guys, reducing their already-small numbers further- it just wasn't in comics' nature to have Evil Ladies for a long time, so you pretty much HAVE TO create new ones in most cases), and Morgan would be a good pick. She's VASTLY powerful, her Magic can basically do anything (allowing for multiple kinds of stories), and you have to REALLY work to defeat her. Plus she's got giga-cleavage, so you automatically know she's pure evil.

-Morgan Le Fay is an incredibly-powerful sorceress, being at a tier beyond even Doctor Strange or Doctor Doom- in a drawn-out battle she can fend off entire Avengers squads, and her planning and brilliance are well-known at this point, having upgraded from "Singular, manipulative foe of Spider-Woman" to "Full-on Global Threat". Energy Waves can take out entire teams, and her Force Field is ridiculously-strong.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

M4C8 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:00 pm
Hoid wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:29 pm If Magneto is a boy in WWII, then by 2019 he’d be pretty darn elderly. Eventually, it’ll be required something happening to explain Magneto’s never-ending lifespan. That’s the problem for Marvel, why it needs a reboot—-if it all happened ‘ten years ago’, then Mags is easily pushing a hundred, by now—-if not more!
Magneto was once turned into a child and then returned to adulthood at a younger age than he originally was, I think that's how they explain his age. Similarly Professor X consciousness was transferred to a cloned body and Punisher has been mystically re-set to his physical prime at least twice.
The Netflix Punisher series at least showed that you don't really need to tie Frank to NAM anymore than Tony still is. There is almost always going to be some kind of military campaign Frank could be a part of to justify his skill level.

With the Prof. X and Magneto, I'd actually try to explain their long lives and enhanced power level via Apocalypse, or at least the tech he's always leaving around. Say that Magneto and Xavier encounter each other during the late 50s/early 60s, at the height of the Civil Rights movement, with both men having their values shaped by it. They have some adventures together and separate for a bit, with Xavier speaking with several historical figures while Magneto plays adventuring archeologist, trying to discover more about the past of mutants on Earth.

Eventually, Magneto finds one of Apocalypse's old labs which contain some Celestial tech. Magneto spends time learning and adapting it, which explains his relative scientific genius and knowledge of certain fields. Using some of the technology, Magneto was able to mildly boost his powers and slow down his aging. He found out that much of the technology required some level of psionic power to use, so he went find Xavier to ask for his help. Xavier activated the machines, but cautioned Magneto against using them without being ready. Instead, Eric used the technology on both himself and Xavier, believing that he understood the science well enough and wanting to elevate himself and Xavier to effective godhood in order to better protect mutant kind. Magneto overloaded the machines, and naturally there was an explosion.

The pair would wake up decades later as their bodies adapted to the changes. Magneto came out of it with white hair and an absolute mastery of magnetism, while Xavier was now bald and now had a degenerative spinal injury. Magneto hoped he could use the Celestial tech to heal Charles, but much of it was damaged in the explosion. Instead, he brought Xavier to the nearest hospital he could find, then took what functioning Celestial tech he could scavenge and left to plan.

Xavier meanwhile would learn that the spinal damage would get progressively worse over the next few years, until he would be unable to walk. Xavier decided to spend his time traveling the world while he was able to, encountering the Shadow King, Moria, Legion's mom, etc. In the time he was out, his modest fortune had accured interest and grown into something even larger, and with it and what he'd learned from the Celestial technology, he was able to lay the groundwork for the X-Men.

Now both Magneto and Xavier can stay their relative ages, it explains their close friendship, and its a less stupid way for Xavier to become crippled without damaging too much continuity. They would have both had the opposite reaction to finding out about how the Civil Rights movement had ended. Xavier would see it as proof that you can convince people to work towards coexistence, while Magneto would see only the people who died for the movement and perceive the majority as only offering token acceptance while still being bigoted.

As for the Juggernaut? I'd just say that he and Charles found the Gem of Cytorak a few months before Magneto returned to recruit Charles for the lab experiment. Cain would touch the gem and get empowered, but would spend a great deal of time struggling with Cytorak for his free will, and would only emerge decades later once he'd won that metaphysical battle.

That would potentially clear up any timeline and aging issues and leave most of continuity unharmed.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
HalloweenJack

Re: Morgan Le Fay

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:35 pm
-Morgan, surprise, surprise, was actually a SPIDER-WOMAN villain for the longest time, being a recurring threat in Jessica Drew's solo book in the 1970s. She's actually debuted in the '50s series Black Knight (fitting, as it was an Arthurian Tale-themed book), but that book didn't make it out of its birth-decade. She was retconned into a member of a group using The Book of the Darkhold to summon the Elder God Chthon, and is seeking the book in modern times. Her old partner/lover Magnus hid the book away and became a Spider-Woman ally. Le Fay attempted to influence Jessica Drew in numerous ways, including forceful recruitment, but ultimately her physical body was destroyed in combat with Drew's astral form. Once the Spider-Woman book was cancelled, Morgan faced Dr. Strange and The Black Knight (Dane Whitman), sending the Dreadknight, the Fomorians and others against the heroes, but vanished until the debut of the Busiek/Perez Avengers book, where she used the Scarlet Witch and the Twilight Sword to restructure reality into a medieval world (aka "Perez likes drawing armor and costume redesigns, so here's your rad Excuse Plot").

-

Actually, she popped up briefly in the mid 90s as well, being behind the Atlantis Rising crossover that ran through Fantastic Four, Fantastic Force, Namor, and had implications for Warlock and the Infinity Watch as well.

It was a pretty minor crossover, so I'm not surprised that you didn't list it there
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

I always wondered how Morgan Le Fey would stack up against Amora the Enchantress.
Jabroniville

Mindworm

Post by Jabroniville »

MINDWORM (William Turner)
Created By:
Gerry Conway & Ross Andru
First Appearance: The Amazing Spider-Man #138 (Nov. 1974)
Role: Mind-Eater
Group Affiliations: None
PL 7 (78)
STRENGTH
2/8 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+2)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+2)
Perception 4 (+4)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Consume Emotions" Weaken Will 6 (Extras: Perception-Ranged +2) (18) -- [22]
  • AE: Mind-Reading 6 (12)
  • AE: Illusion 8 (Visuals) (Flaws: Psychic) (8)
  • AE: "Mind-Wave" Blast 6 (Extras: Perception-Ranged) (18)
  • AE: Enhanced Strength 6 (12)
Senses 3 (Detect Minds, Ranged 2) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Enhanced Strength +6 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Mind-Wave -- (+6 Perception-Ranged Damage, DC 16)
Mind-Reading -- (+6, DC 16)
Consume Emotions -- (+6 Perception-Ranged Weaken, DC 16)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +2

Complications:
Prejudice (Deformed Outcast)- Mindworm looks freakish, and is clearly mentally ill.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 25 / Defenses: 7 (78)

-Mindworm was a tragic creation in the "Conway Era" of the Spider-Man book of the 1970s. Born a mutant "Psychic Vampire", he was responsible for the deaths of both his parents as a youth. Growing up in an orphanage and using his powers to protect himself, he grew into a very intelligent man, but a freak of nature with one of those patented "Big Head" looks that were still semi-common in the 1970s. Mindworm secretly fed off of people's minds, making sure to leave them alive, but Peter Parker's strong mind resisted him. Mindworm lashed out at Pete physically, but a severe blow to the head knocked the mutant out. Later, he had a dream about getting revenge on Spider-Man, but realized that his guilt over the deaths of his parents was causing his extreme behavior, and soon befriended Peter, from whom he learned the "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility" motto.

-However, the character got a sad ending years later, as he fell into a criminal gang and got himself arrested again- being unable to sustain himself, he became homeless, and was attacked by some hoodlums. Refusing to use his powers to hurt anyone any longer, he was defenseless and was killed.

-The story is likely a reference to the 1950 Science Fiction short story The Mindworm, featuring a mutant who had the same emotion-eating power.

-Mindworm's powers are potent enough to affect regular people, but not enough to hit someone with the Will Save of 1970s Spider-Man. He could also read minds, cast illusions, and enhance his own strength temporarily. So basically a minor threat and a one-off opponent.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.